PDA

View Full Version : Random FRANCO Ramblings...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Alison Jane
02-20-2011, 08:44 AM
My favorites, in no particular order (as it changes based on the mood I'm in)...

1. Doriana Grey
2. Ilsa - Wicked Warden
3. Female Vampire
4. Women in Cellblock 9
5. Barbed Wire Dolls

Mike T
02-20-2011, 08:51 AM
No love for Venus in Furs? That's my absolute fave of all his films. I think I must go back and watch all of my VIP discs again...

Alison Jane
02-20-2011, 09:00 AM
I've never actually seen Venus In Furs. There are a lot of his films that I haven't seen. I'm so interested in his 73-78 films I don't often care about much outside of those years. Ian keeps telling me I need to see that one though.

Alison Jane
02-20-2011, 09:01 AM
And for the record, eroticism is always Franco's intent. :haha:

Todd Jordan
02-20-2011, 11:07 AM
I agree with the first three, haven't seen the other two yet on your list.

1. Doriana Grey
2. Ilsa - Wicked Warden
3. Female Vampire
4. Downtown
5. Mansion of the Living Dead

and I ordered Lorna the Exorcist and looking forward to watching that one. The man makes awesome sleaze and uses swanky jazz in way that speaks to me.

Alison Jane
02-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Haha, check out Paula-Paula if you dig the jazz scores.

Ian Jane
02-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Mansion of the Living Dead

This one is really dumb but I love it too. It's just got loads of atmosphere, enough so that you don't notice the absence of plot so much.

Alison Jane
02-20-2011, 12:01 PM
We can watch Franco the weekend Todd is here if RIJ allows it...

Mike T
02-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Mansion of the Living Dead also features a really cool location. There must be dozens of those "almost abandoned" holiday resorts all over Europe...

Ian Jane
02-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Yeah, it's just really well put together from a visual stand point. The locations are killer.

Mike T
02-20-2011, 12:08 PM
When it started, I thought I'd hate it -- after a short while, the location and atmosphere won me over, so I ended up really liking it. But not as much as Macumba Sexual...or the much hated by many, but loved by me, Voodoo Passion.

Alison Jane
02-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Voodoo Passion??? Why do people hate that???

Maybe I should give Mansion another shot. I hated it the first time around and couldn't make it through it...

Mike T
02-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Voodoo Passion??? Why do people hate that???

I have no idea. But you often see the film lumped in with Franco's worst or, to use that overused quote, "lesser" films. I think it's awesome, and the leading actresses are all stunning. Plus! It has a nifty little political spin at the end. ;)

Alison Jane
02-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Karine Gambier is awesome.... she's also in Cellblock 9 which is one of my favorites and my only non-Lina favorite. She was also in Gefangen Frauen (aka Caged Women) which is amazing and deserves a thread of its own.

That's what we should make Todd watch. :biggrin:

That and Mad Foxes. We can make it an all out Eric Falk weekend!

Todd Jordan
02-21-2011, 12:35 AM
I'm hip to it. I love watching this stuff with other people, and never get to. I'd say no one I know likes such flicks, but the truth is, it's me they don't like. It's true, ask Paul.

Alison Jane
02-21-2011, 08:57 AM
No one likes you? :rolleyes:

Todd Jordan
02-21-2011, 09:14 AM
That's what The Ace Case says. And he means everything to me.

Ian Miller
04-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Has anyone seen BLUE RITA? The trailer makes it look AWESOME!

Alison Jane
04-24-2011, 08:25 AM
Blue Rita is pretty cool from what I remember of it (it's been a few years). It's very colorful and futuristic and it's got... drumroll... Eric Falk so how can you go wrong? :haha:

I would definitely recommend it. Just picked up an original in the last year or two, though, like I said, it's been a while since I actually watched it. Needed it to complete my JFC discs. :biggrin:

Ian Jane
04-24-2011, 04:46 PM
I watched this one back to back with Doriana Grey and expected something on the same level. Didn't get it. It's a pretty nifty movie though. What I remember most about it is a lot of nudity and purple wigs.

http://buchinsky.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/blue-rita.jpg?w=492&h=315

Mike T
06-03-2011, 05:08 AM
Anyway, I was having a look at Mansion of the Living Dead yesterday and I noticed this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/whitedragon68/mansionofdolby.jpg

...so would that make the film the first that Franco worked with a Dolby soundtrack in post? I remember reading his complaints about having to work with a Dolby soundtrack on Faceless, as he vehemently disliked working with multiple audio tracks and the creation of a stereo mix. But here's a film, made some years prior, and it's listed as being in Dolby. Hmmm... :think:

Todd Jordan
06-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Thomas Dolby.

Ian Jane
06-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Could be a Dolby Mono track, couldn't it?

Mike T
06-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Could be a Dolby Mono track, couldn't it?

Possibly, but unlikely by the early eighties. I'm guessing it was a Dolby stereo track (which worked L-C-R-S); A Clockwork Orange (1971) was the earliest film I know of that utilised Dolby Noise Reduction for its (monaural) soundtrack, and Ken Russell's Tommy (1975) was the first to use Dolby multi-channel sound (L-C-R-LS-RS).

The majority of earlier Dolby tracks were four channel, and it wasn't until the advent of Dolby digital that the .1 (LFE) channel came into play...but that was the nineties. If it was Dolby "mono", or Dolby NR (Noise Reduction), I'm guessing it would have been listed as such. My educated guess is Dolby stereo (4-channel), though from the digital editions we have I'm guessing only mono elements survived...

Ian Jane
06-03-2011, 11:56 AM
It seems that way because I'm 99.9% certain the Severin disc is mono.

Mike T
06-03-2011, 12:06 PM
It seems that way because I'm 99.9% certain the Severin disc is mono.

It is -- I have the Anchor Bay UK port of it (from a PAL master) and it's definitely mono. But then, even a lot of the Italian stuff that was post-synched in Dolby stereo back in the eighties turns up in mono on DVD. Photos of Gioia was a classic example -- Lamberto Bava even talked about the Dolby soundtrack in Media Blasters' extras, but the disc is in mono. I'm fairly sure Shameless' DVD of Deodato's Off Balance is also mono, even though the credits list Dolby stereo as the audio and a Dolby consultant.

Not only do we cult movie fans have to put up with cut releases, incorrectly framed films, and incorrect colour-timing...they can't even get the soundtracks right in a lot of cases.

Paul L
07-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Top five Franco flicks? I'd have to go for:
LES DEMONS
THE OBSCENE MIRROR
LORNA THE EXORCIST
VIRGIN AMONG THE LIVING DEAD
EXORCISM or perhaps
THE DIABOLICAL DR Z, or LES EBRANLESS (or what I could understand of it, given my poor French), or THE PERVERSE COUNTESS, or JACK THE RIPPER

Gosh, it's hard to pick just five, isn't it?

But yep, I'm generally a De Nesle-period fan and proud of it - that era has the right mix of (semi-)gothic atmosphere and, well, earthy, sleaze/funkiness for my tastes ;) That group of films is free-spirited and transgressive, all that I like in Uncle Jess' work.

Ian Jane
07-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Is there a good DVD of The Obscene Mirror floating around anywhere?

Paul L
07-09-2011, 06:28 PM
I don't think there are any official DVD releases, sadly, Ian. I guess the film, like most of the De Nesle-produced movies, is tied up in legal wranglings. However, both the Spanish and Italian variants of THE OBSCENE MIRROR can be found 'doing the rounds' and there are even some fan-produced subtitles for the Italian version. (I don't think there are any fansubs for the Spanish version, but I could be wrong.)

Given Mondo Macabro's releases of LORNA and SINNER, I really hope they'll release some more of Franco's films from this period. I'd be hugely pleased if THE OBSCENE MIRROR and some of the other De Nesle movies got good DVD releases, and MM is the company to do them justice.

Paul L
08-01-2011, 05:29 PM
I rewatched THE OBSCENE MIRROR today, via the Italian version (LO SPECCHIO DEL PIACERE). It's a fascinating, hauntingly macabre film, but the ugly h/c inserts really stop the narrative in its tracks. The Spanish version (AL OTRO LADO DEL ESPEJO) plays out much better, I think, especially transposing (the lovely) Emma Cohen's obsession from her sister (Lina Romay) to her father (Howard Vernon). However, I struggle to watch the Spanish cut of the film as my understanding of Spanish is pretty terrible. (Are there any fansubs for the Spanish version of the movie out there?)

Has anyone seen the French cut (LE MIROIR OBSCENE)? I've always assumed that it's similar in content to the Italian version, but you know what they say about assumptions.

Ian Jane
08-02-2011, 09:03 AM
I'm gonna have to make the rounds and get it - without any English option available, I don't think I have much choice. Was it ever released in any English speaking territory?

You can download subs here:
http://www.mysubtitles.com/subtitles/search/Obscene+mirror/All

Paul L
08-03-2011, 06:19 PM
I'm gonna have to make the rounds and get it - without any English option available, I don't think I have much choice. Was it ever released in any English speaking territory?

You can download subs here:
http://www.mysubtitles.com/subtitles/search/Obscene+mirror/All
Let me know if you want me to send you a copy, Ian. I can supply you with both the Spanish cut (which is the better cut of the film) and the Italian cut (which has a slightly different narrative and some out-of-place h/c inserts).

Alison Jane
08-03-2011, 07:02 PM
I have a copy of the Obscene Mirror.

Alison Jane
08-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Nevermind. I don't.

Ian Jane
08-03-2011, 08:23 PM
In that case Paul, yes please! :)

Alison Jane
08-03-2011, 08:37 PM
I have a different Franco mirror movie.

Ian Jane
12-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Mondo Macabro just sent this out on Twitter an hour ago:

"Comptesse Perverse is coming! It really is.... 2012 for two more Jess Franco masterpieces"

I'm gonna guess that the 2nd title is Plaisier A Trois, given the restorations (http://thelatarniaforums.yuku.com/topic/10303/LA-COMTESSE-PERVERSE-PLAISIR-A-TROIS-restored-at-last) they received recently. Glad to see more vintage Franco in the works, it's been a while and if these discs are half as awesome as Sinner and Lorna were from MM, then this is super rad news.

Ian Jane
01-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Robert Monell has got some nice info on these upcoming MM discs at his blog:

http://www.robertmonell.blogspot.com/?zx=41ace667bd5448ce

Randy G
01-05-2012, 04:43 AM
A nice release of Plaisier A Trois would be great, it's the kind of film that would benefit from being on blu-ray as it's so well shot.

Ian Jane
02-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Some very vague news from Variety:

"As the EFM wraps up, Matteo Lovadina's Reel Suspects is closing further deals on "X-Femmes" and its Sexploitation Collection.

"X-Femmes" is an omnibus pic featuring erotic shorts directed by French filmmakers and thesps, including Lola Doillon, Tonie Marshall and Melanie Laurent.

It was acquired by Njutafilms in Sweden and Imovision in Brazil. Earlier in the mart, the pic was snatched up by 8 Films in Germany, Green Narae Media in South Korea and Ripleys in Italy.

Reel Suspects has also sold its recently acquired Sexploitation Collection of five remastered cult films from Joe Sarno, Jess Franco and Harry Kumel to Linetree in South Korea.

The Paris-based shingle has had a busy mart. It closed a slew of deals across its slate, with films including "Vanishing Waves," "The Year Dolly Parton Was My Mom" and "The Second Death," Argentine helmer Santiago Fernandez's feature debut."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118050310.html?cmpid=RSS|News|FilmNews

The Hungarian Inframan
02-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Anybody happen to have an mp3 of LORNA THE EXORCIST's main theme?

Ian Jane
02-24-2012, 11:59 AM
I might have it at home, will check for you after work.

Todd Jordan
02-24-2012, 02:10 PM
I can make one this weekend if you don't. I stole the audio track from The Shiver of the Vampires and isolated most of the music into a number of tracks and I can post those too. I'm sure someone here would did them.

Barry M
02-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Yeah, somebody would did. There's a lot of diddlers here. Thanks, Todd.

Todd Jordan
02-24-2012, 04:39 PM
What a piece of Canadian shit. I offer to do something nice and I get made fun of. I hope someone DOES want the tracks, cuz I'm not posting them. Fuckers.

Barry M
02-24-2012, 05:22 PM
I would did wanted them, and I even said thanks. Sorry, Todd.

Barry M
02-24-2012, 05:32 PM
Besides, Paul's not here. I was just picking up the slack. I'm a notorious slack-diddler.

Todd Jordan
02-25-2012, 03:16 PM
For my Hungarian friend and anyone else EXCEPT BORZ. Its in the comments section.

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/content.php?889-Lorna-The-Exorcist

Ian Jane
02-25-2012, 03:28 PM
Nice work, Toidd. I thought I had the soundtrack for this one but nope, I just imagined that I did.

Todd Jordan
02-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Thanks, Ian (not Barry).

Barry M
02-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Thanks, Todd-AO!

The Hungarian Inframan
02-26-2012, 02:35 AM
For my Hungarian friend and anyone else EXCEPT BORZ. Its in the comments section.

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/content.php?889-Lorna-The-Exorcist

Luv ya. I luv everybody else here as well, of course. Now it became awkward.

Daniel
03-15-2012, 04:39 AM
My favorites

1.Exorcism
2.Midnight Paerty
3.Coctail Special
4.Les Demoniac
5.Sexy Nature

Ian Jane
05-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Coming soon from Regia Films (http://regiafilms.com/) - Gritos En La Noche with Howard Vernon. 2 disc set including the Spanish version (92 minutes) and International version (80 minutes). No idea if there are going to be English subs (does anyone own any other Regia Films releases? Do they have subs?) or not but I like the cover.

Lars Jacobsson
05-18-2012, 03:31 AM
My top five:

Lorna the Exorcist
Eugenie de Sade
Erotic Rites of Frankenstein
A Virgin Among the Living Dead
Devil Hunter

Randy G
05-20-2012, 04:01 AM
My top five (still lots of others to see)

Venus in Furs
Eugenie...Her Journey Into Perversion
The Diabolical Dr. Z
Diary of a Sinner
Virgin Among the Living Dead

Ian Jane
05-25-2012, 03:22 PM
David Gregory of Severin Films just posted this:

"Good time spent with the unstoppable Jess Franco today. Customarily frank & amusing, and occasionally emotional words on some upcoming titles. Once interviews were over instead of the usual jazz wind down music he slipped in The Number of the Beast and waxed lyrical about Iron Maiden's great musicianship. Outstanding."

Glad to see Jess is still around and still doing his thing - and I take it from David's post that there are some Franco titles in the works...

Wllm Clys
07-01-2012, 02:40 PM
What's the difference between the Spanish version and the international version of Awful Dr. Orloff? I have a 83-minute version. I can't imagine the Spanish version being the more shocking of the two.

My Franco favourites:
Virgin among the living dead
Eugenie - the story of her journey into perversion
Lorna
Exorcism

Paul L
07-01-2012, 04:37 PM
What's the difference between the Spanish version and the international version of Awful Dr. Orloff? I have a 83-minute version. I can't imagine the Spanish version being the more shocking of the two.
IIRC the Spanish version was cut for nudity.

Wllm Clys
07-01-2012, 05:12 PM
That's what I thought. But if they cut out the nude scenes in the Spanish version (90 min), what did they insert to make it longer than the international version (80 min)?

Ian Jane
07-03-2012, 10:05 AM
So it seems that Jess is going back to work.

Fangoria just posted this (http://www.fangoria.com/index.php/home/all-news/1-latest-news/7348-exclusive-jess-franco-planning-two-new-films).

"One of those admirers and pals, PLAGUE TOWN and THEATRE BIZARRE director and Severin Films mastermind David Gregory, ventured to Franco’s home in Spain to sit with him, discuss some of his classics and get a sense of where his emotional wellbeing was at.

As it turns out, Franco is thriving and planning to direct two new horror films.

[They] will start shooting next month in Malaga,” Gregory tells FANGORIA, “and I've no idea on budget, but I understand longtime Franco actor/collaborator Antonio Mayans is involved in the productions. They will be titled SISTER VAMPIRE and THE CASE OF THE FRIGHTENED LADY, the latter based on an Edgar Wallace story [Ed. note—Adapted as a film in 1940, THE CASE OF THE FRIGHTENED LADY concerns an aristocratic family and their propensity for murderous deeds].”

Gregory also shared an audio clip with us, wherein he asks Franco if he ever had planned to stop making movies.

“Never,” said Franco. “The one day I have to stop, life will stop for me. This is the thing I prefer. The death of Lina gave me—instead of letting me die in a corner—it gave me the power to go again.”

I'll be the first to admit that Franco's recent stuff has done nothing for me, BUT... I'm glad he's still going at it.

I'm also still speculating that the Gregory interviews may have been recorded for some sort of DVD release through Severin... but that's just a guess on my part.

Paul L
07-03-2012, 11:40 AM
I'm also still speculating that the Gregory interviews may have been recorded for some sort of DVD release through Severin... but that's just a guess on my part.
Be nice if it was, but I also wonder if, as he has done many times in the past, Gregory has recorded these interviews for another company - perhaps BU may be considering releasing some of their Franco titles on Blu-ray. (VENUS IN FURS, please :) .)

Ian Jane
07-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Given BU's track record of not including new extras on their Blu-ray reissues, I'd guess they're out of the running.

Paul L
07-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Given BU's track record of not including new extras on their Blu-ray reissues, I'd guess they're out of the running.
Most likely, but I have to say I was pleasantly pleased with the extra mile they went in terms of extra features on their new BULLET FOR THE GENERAL Blu-ray :)

Ian Jane
07-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Very good point.

Richard--W
07-03-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm looking for X-Rated Kult's Die Nonnen von Clichy (Les Demons, 1972).
Does anyone know if it's still being sold somewhere?

Richard

Geten
07-04-2012, 01:28 PM
http://shop.dtm.at/product_info.php?products_id=23435
http://www.dvduncut.com/Erotik/Les-Demons---Die-Nonnen-von-Clichy--uncut--Single-Disc.html

Richard--W
07-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Danke, Geten.

Regarding LOVE LETTERS OF A PORTUGUESE NUN, what is the difference between the VIP Swiss / German edition and the Anchor Bay U.K. edition?
Is the Anchor Bay edition cut, missing footage, or missing a language option?

Richard

Apronikoff
07-05-2012, 01:00 AM
Richard -- The Anchor Bay UK edition is heavily cut. Susan Hemingway was only 16 at the time the film was made, so the BBFC required that all of her nude scenes be trimmed from the film. This rendered more than one scene completely incoherent. The Swiss Edition is completely uncut.

Unfortunately, the Anchor Bay has more/better language options but the cuts make it a dud.

One of my favorite Franco films...

Richard--W
07-05-2012, 03:16 AM
Thanks for your good reply, Apronifoff. Someone sent me a clone of the VIP edition years ago, so I know the film. Now that I'm trying to buy the DVD I haven't been able to find it at a sane price. I might be able to buy the box-set cheaper than the one film individually. I was thinking about getting the Anchor Bay, but you put a stop to that notion.

Richard

Wllm Clys
07-05-2012, 03:47 AM
I have the Anchor Bay version, since I've never seen the VIP version for a decent price. How much has been cut?

Geten
07-05-2012, 08:50 AM
WillemClaey: 6m 15s.

Apronikoff
07-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Thanks for your good reply, Apronifoff. Someone sent me a clone of the VIP edition years ago, so I know the film. Now that I'm trying to buy the DVD I haven't been able to find it at a sane price. I might be able to buy the box-set cheaper than the one film individually. I was thinking about getting the Anchor Bay, but you put a stop to that notion.

Richard

Well, it looks like you can still get it at a reasonable price directly from Ascot. They list the film at 24 euro, and the box at 69 euro.

Unless you aren't interested in the rest of the films in the box, personally I think it's the way to go...unless I'm badly mistaken, the Swiss releases of Portugese Nun, Women in Cellblock 9, Wicked Women, and Barbed Wire Dolls are the only uncut official releases of those films so it ends up being worth the price tag.

Wllm Clys
07-05-2012, 09:26 AM
IMDB lists a 89-minute director's cut. Was that one ever released? Because my A.B. release is 80 minutes and the VIP version is 86 minutes.

Apronikoff
07-05-2012, 09:43 AM
IMDB lists a 89-minute director's cut. Was that one ever released? Because my A.B. release is 80 minutes and the VIP version is 86 minutes.

I'm pretty sure that's just the PAL speed-up effect, as that's almost exactly a 4% difference. I don't think there's a longer cut out there...

Andrew Monroe
07-05-2012, 02:11 PM
What do you Franco fans think of LUCKY THE INSCRUTABLE? I love EUGENIE...but this film is by far the most fun film of his I've seen. A very light hearted and silly eurospy parody. The word balloons and general pop art feeling make this one that could have been included in that recent article in Video Watchdog on Continental Op (or was it mentioned and I've forgotten?). It's a shame this one isn't available on a nice widescreen dvd. The sequence where they are chasing Beba Loncar across the rooftops while Bruno Nicolai's "Spy Chase" tune plays is everything I love about eurocult. Beba isn't in the film long enough for my tastes but she has a very funny parting line. Rosalba Neri also has a memorable role....yummy. The entire Nicolai score is wonderful btw.

Richard--W
07-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Well, it looks like you can still get it at a reasonable price directly from Ascot. They list the film at 24 euro, and the box at 69 euro.

Unless you aren't interested in the rest of the films in the box, personally I think it's the way to go...unless I'm badly mistaken, the Swiss releases of Portugese Nun, Women in Cellblock 9, Wicked Women, and Barbed Wire Dolls are the only uncut official releases of those films so it ends up being worth the price tag.

Can you provide a link to Ascot website? I hope it has an English-friendly interface.

I want the box.

Richard

Ian Jane
07-05-2012, 02:39 PM
http://www.ascotdvd.com

Apronikoff
07-05-2012, 04:02 PM

Yeah, and for what it's worth, I had a good experience buying from them before. I import buy LOTS of movies, but am always nervous trying out a new seller for the first time. But Ascot responded to my email inquiries quickly and I had no problems with my order.

Richard--W
07-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Thanks for your input, gentlemen.

I have a few Franco discs -- Orloff, Count Dracula and a couple of others.
I just got paid for a job and I decided to invest in some Franco. Here are the new additions to my Franco collection:

1999 99 Women -- director's cut -- Blue Underground
1969 Marquies de Sade's Justine -- Blue Underground
1970 Nightmares Come At Night -- Shriek Show Media Blasters
1970 She Killed In Ecstasy -- Image
1971 Devil Came From Akasava -- full screen -- Image
1972 Daughter of Dracula -- UK Redemption
1972 Dracula Prisoner of Frankenstein -- Image
1972 The Rites of Frankenstein -- Spanish theatrical edit -- Image
1973 Female Vampire - non-horror hard version -- Image $30.
1973 Sinister Eyes of Dr. Orloff -- Innervision
1973 Sinner -- Mondo Macabro
1974 Countess Perverse -- Mondo Macabro
1974 Lorna the Exorcist -- Mondo Macabro
1975 Barbed Wire Dolls -- VIP
1975 Women Behind Bars -- Blue Underground
1977 Ilsa the Wicked Warden - uncut -- Anchor Bay
1977 Women In Cell Block 9 -- VIP
1980 The Devil Hunter -- Severin
1981 Sadomania -- Blue Underground
1983 Diamonds of Kilimandjaro -- Shriek Show Media Blasters
1983 Oasis of the Zombies -- Image Euroshock
1985 Golden Temple Amazons -- Shriek Show Media Blasters

All on their way. There might be enough money left to get the VIP box and X-Rated Cult's Die Nonnen von Clichy: Le Demones.
The rest will have to wait until I get paid for the next job.

Richard

Richard--W
07-05-2012, 05:52 PM
What do you Franco fans think of LUCKY THE INSCRUTABLE? I love EUGENIE...but this film is by far the most fun film of his I've seen. A very light hearted and silly eurospy parody. The word balloons and general pop art feeling make this one that could have been included in that recent article in Video Watchdog on Continental Op (or was it mentioned and I've forgotten?). It's a shame this one isn't available on a nice widescreen dvd. The sequence where they are chasing Beba Loncar across the rooftops while Bruno Nicolai's "Spy Chase" tune plays is everything I love about eurocult. Beba isn't in the film long enough for my tastes but she has a very funny parting line. Rosalba Neri also has a memorable role....yummy. The entire Nicolai score is wonderful btw.

I didn't know LUCKY THE INSCRUTABLE had been released.

Where did you find it?

Richard

Andrew Monroe
07-06-2012, 07:37 AM
I didn't know LUCKY THE INSCRUTABLE had been released.

Where did you find it?

Richard

It hasn't been released unfortunately. I have a pan and scan copy from a trade. As I said above, I wish someone would release a nice widescreen dvd.

Richard--W
07-08-2012, 05:02 PM
I think I found it, thanks.

So what do Francophiliacs think of LA FILLE DE DRACULA (1972)?
I gather is not widely seen nor popular among the fans?

Sinister Cinema sells it on DVD-R as Daughter of Dracula. I just bought the Rendemption / U.K. edition and looking forward to seeing what Franco does with girl. I assume they are the same film and not different versions.

Richard

Paul L
07-08-2012, 05:29 PM
The Redemption UK DVD is apparently identical to the X-Rated release, Richard.

I like the film, to be honest. It's got that obsession with family that some of Franco's best movies of this period show (eg, VIRGIN AMONG THE LIVING DEAD, EUGENIE DE SADE, LORNA THE EXORCIST and THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MIRROR). It's not particularly well-paced though, I don't think: the narrative stops and starts and sometimes crunches along. However, it's definitely worth watching at least once.

Richard--W
07-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Guess I bought the right one, then.

Which Franco film is well-paced?

Where did you get The Other Side of the Mirror? I've been looking all over for that DVD . Next payday I'll be buying several Spanish DVDs of Franco films that haven't been released here. The Other Side of the Mirror is not among them, that I can find. It sounds like one of his most interesting films.

Richard

Paul L
07-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Which Franco film is well-paced?
Good point. However, with some of the films the off-kilter pacing works better than with others; I guess, with some it seems more organic than with some of the others. With Franco movies, it's arguably all alchemy though - which is the pleasure of his films, I'd argue.

Where did you get The Other Side of the Mirror? I've been looking all over for that DVD . Next payday I'll be buying several Spanish DVDs of Franco films that haven't been released here. The Other Side of the Mirror is not among them, that I can find. It sounds like one of his most interesting films.
It's not had an official DVD release yet, Richard. It's one of the hard-to-find De Nesle pictures. Perhaps Mondo Macabro will add it to their roster at some point. It would be nice if they did.

Richard--W
07-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Redemption U.K. offers the 103-minute directors cut of Die Nonnen von Clichy: Le Demons:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Demons-DVD-Jess-Franco/dp/B000NRRW4W/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1D8B45COFG3Y7&colid=2QZRWQNUDQ6XG

From the reviews, it appears that Franco probably edited this version for DVD himself. My question is, how does it compare in quality and presentation to the second disc in X-Rated Cult's box-set? I've been trying to find that at a sane price. It is out of print and unavailable on their website. Does anyone know of a good source? I really want to buy this film (today, if possible) and will appreciate any suggestions.

Richard

Paul L
07-09-2012, 03:42 AM
It's from the same source, I think, Richard. The X-Rated also contains a longer -but not English-friendly -cut of the movie, which is worth watching even if you don't understand the lingo.

Richard--W
07-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Thanks, Paul. I picked up Redemption's 2011 pressing of Die Nonnen von Clichy: Le Demones, the 103 minute Director Cut. But I'm still keeping an eye open for the X-Rated Kult box-set.

Found a number of unreleased Franco films at European Trash Cinema, in case anyone is interested. Except for the nun box, that pretty much brings an end to my Franco hunt. Now it's a matter of watching.

Richard

Andrew Monroe
07-12-2012, 12:14 PM
I can see why MACUMBA SEXUAL is considered Franco's best film from this period. I really liked the dreamy feeling this one has, and the photography is stunning - lone figures wandering across miles and miles of desert... seriously, anyone who thinks all Franco films have bad camerawork needs to see this. It's basically a loose reworking of VAMPYROS LESBOS, doesn't have the killer music that one did but Lina Romay gives an amazingly brave performance and the ending is unforgettable. It's also the first film I've seen Ajita Wilson in where she struck me as the only person who could have played the role. Great stuff and I'm just sorry I waited so long to watch it.

Ian Jane
07-12-2012, 12:28 PM
anyone who thinks all Franco films have bad camerawork needs to see this.

I think anyone who thinks all Franco films have bad camerawork just hasn't seen enough to make any sort of judgement call. Yes, there are often bad shots in many of his films but the fact that more often than not he can balance them out with, as you say, some very striking imagery sort of makes it a moot point in my book. I'd say, the One Shot productions not withstanding, that most of his stuff is well shot on the whole, though his style is certainly unconventional.

Apronikoff
07-12-2012, 12:36 PM
I think anyone who thinks all Franco films have bad camerawork just hasn't seen enough to make any sort of judgement call. Yes, there are often bad shots in many of his films but the fact that more often than not he can balance them out with, as you say, some very striking imagery sort of makes it a moot point in my book. I'd say, the One Shot productions not withstanding, that most of his stuff is well shot on the whole, though his style is certainly unconventional.

Yeah, whenever I hear someone call Franco a hack or talk about his bad camerawork that's usually a pretty big clue that I'm not interested in their opinion on film. :)

I mean, it's inevitable that someone who works as fast and cheap as he does is going to end up with some ugly shots, mistakes etc. But that only makes it all the more impressive how frequently he produces work that is not only visually interesting/attractive but idiosyncratic and uniquely Franco.

Will have to check out Macumba. I've only seen a couple of his 80's films ad they were definitely a mixed bag. The description above, though, makes it sound like this one will be right up my alley...

Andrew Monroe
07-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Just to clarify...I don't personally think Franco films are poorly shot. I'm a fan and own a surprisingly large number of his films - bootlegs as well as dvds. He is in fact in the top 3 most represented directors in my collection. But that is the general impression many who have only seen one or two of his films - or those who have only heard about him and haven't actually ventured into Franco land - have. Is it fair? No, but it's the truth.

That's why I never posted in the Franco thread at AVM and why I shouldn't have here, the TRUEBELIEVERS are gonna jump down your goddamn throat...jesus...

Ian Jane
07-12-2012, 02:46 PM
I didn't get the impression that was your take on the matter at all, Andrew - sorry if it came across that way.

You're right, there is a large contigent of people who like to rag on his work for the shots that are out of focus and that may not be framed as well as they could have, but they're failing to see the forest for the trees, so to speak. Those shots are there throughout his filmography, no sense in denying that, but Apronikoff is probably right in attributing that to the sheer volume of his filmography.

And the guy continues to work, even at this stage in the game, which impresses me even if most of his recent output does not.

Ian Jane
07-12-2012, 02:50 PM
I also think it's interesting that he polarizes people so much. I don't understand the people who make blanket statements like 'I hate all Jess Franco films' when there are undeniably some great films to his credit, and at the same time I can't see what others see in some of his other (and in my opinion) lesser films. I like a lot of what he's done, and there's a fair bit I can't get into either. Yet people seem to go to war with one another over his movies more than they do over the output a lot of other cult/Eurocult directors for some reason.

Richard--W
07-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Franco is an eccentric. His career is an impossibility. I haven't made up my mind about him yet. I won't be making excuses for him in any case because his ideas are often better than his execution. Other filmmakers work under similar circumstances or worse and get much better footage technically. I recently bought about 25 Franco DVDs adding to the handful I already had and I plan to get more. From what I've seen, I think Franco's ass was often saved by his cameraman / photographer. Except when he holds the camera himself. Last night I was annoyed by the deliberate blurring of the love scene and all the unnecessary zooms. Either he's not technically competent when he shoots himself or he didn't have a focus puller or he didn't care. There is nothing to see in a film that's so out of focus it's a blur for extended periods of time. But the point is I always give Franco a chance, and when I have the money, I spend it on his DVD's like a good consumer.

Franco's films are poorly shot but I watch them anyhow. Knowing what to expect, I don't complain. Women In Cell Block 9 is utterly compelling even though it's barely competent technically. I'm glad I've got it, finally.

Ian Jane
07-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Women In Cell Block 9 is utterly compelling even though it's barely competent technically. I'm glad I've got it, finally.

If it's compelling though, is it poorly shot? Can it be both? It's possible I guess but if it works, then regardless of technique, by default it's probably not poorly shot in that it's accomplished something. I guess maybe it comes down to intent - whether or not he was working on some sort of idea that he managed to successfully pull off or whether he was just sloppy and got lucky is probably the subject of an interesting debate.

Richard--W
07-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Can a poorly shot film be compelling? Yes. Franco's limitations impair his storytelling. It is no exaggeration to say he shoots himself in the foot even as he shows us something we've never been shown before. Not working with a sound crew is part of the problem. Faster and cheaper to do the sound in post. But doing the sound in post, and dubbing it so badly, robs the film of its emotional impact. Women In Cell Block 9 would more compelling if it were better directed. I wish he had laid down some track to follow the escaped prisoners running through the jungle. There are easy setups he could have used that he doesn't seem to know about. Certainly the talent in front of the camera is committed and doing hard work under adverse conditions. Sometimes they even remember to stand on their tiptoes when chained up but just as often they get tired and forget.

In a way, the home DVD market is the perfect venue for Franco. The 40 inch HD screen covers up a multitude of sins. I accept his films the way they are, regardless.

Apronikoff
07-12-2012, 03:55 PM
That's why I never posted in the Franco thread at AVM and why I shouldn't have here, the TRUEBELIEVERS are gonna jump down your goddamn throat...jesus...

Sounds like you thought I was jumping down your throat...if so I apologize, because that certainly wasn't my intention. I read your earlier comment as expressing mild exasperation at the scorn a lot of critics/viewers have towards Franco and I was agreeing with you.

Richard--W
07-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Well, using a currency converter and a google translater I finally managed to buy the VIP box:

Shipping: Standard Shipping
Item: EUR 63.98
Packaging & Shipping: EUR 31.00
------
Total to pay: EUR 94.98
Total bill: U.S. $ 120.75 **

Delivery date: 21 July 2012 - 9th August 2012
2 "The Jess Franco Collection (8 DVDs)"
Josephine Chaplin, DVD, EUR 31.99
In Stock.

Somehow the price double during the transaction. I must be out of mind spending this much money on Franco.

I bought WOMEN IN CELL BLOCK 9 and BARBED WIRE DOLLS individually but they are also in the box-set. I bought them new a week ago. BARBED WIRE DOLLS hasn't arrived yet. If anyone wants to buy them I'll let you have them half-price, and the latter will sealed. $25 each including shipping. Paypal and in the states only.

Barry M
07-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Well, using a currency converter and a google translater I finally managed to buy the VIP box:

Shipping: Standard Shipping
Item: EUR 63.98
Packaging & Shipping: EUR 31.00
------
Total to pay: EUR 94.98
Total bill: U.S. $ 120.75 **

Delivery date: 21 July 2012 - 9th August 2012
2 "The Jess Franco Collection (8 DVDs)"
Josephine Chaplin, DVD, EUR 31.99
In Stock.

Somehow the price double during the transaction. I must be out of mind spending this much money on Franco.

I bought WOMEN IN CELL BLOCK 9 and BARBED WIRE DOLLS individually but they are also in the box-set. I bought them new a week ago. BARBED WIRE DOLLS hasn't arrived yet. If anyone wants to buy them I'll let you have them half-price, and the latter will sealed. $25 each including shipping. Paypal and in the states only.

I think you added it to your cart twice -- 2 x 31.99 = 63.98. If you contact them right away, you might be able to fix it.

Richard--W
07-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Jeez. You're right. I managed to cancel it and be-buy it. I think.

Thanks for catching that.

If it had been up there last week I would not have bought two of the DVDs individually.

Barry M
07-12-2012, 05:51 PM
4 x 31.99 = Franco love-fest.

Richard--W
07-12-2012, 06:30 PM
VIP's Official Directors Cut series should be a priority for Francophiliacs. Their restoration and mastering of Women In Cell Block 9 is as clean and (insofar as the lensmanship allows) razor sharp as the releases from Blue Underground and Mondo Macabro. Plus they are region free, despite the box claiming region 2.

The box-set contains:

1975 Barbed Wire Dolls
1976 Jack the Ripper
1977 Blue Rita
1977 Ilsa, the Wicked Warden
1977 Love Letters of a Portuguese Nun
1977 Voodoo Passion
1977 Wicked Women
1977 Women In Cell Block 9

Each DVD is also available individually.

VIP also released several more, but not in a box-set.
A collector's work is never done.

Andrew Monroe
07-13-2012, 12:17 PM
Sounds like you thought I was jumping down your throat...if so I apologize, because that certainly wasn't my intention. I read your earlier comment as expressing mild exasperation at the scorn a lot of critics/viewers have towards Franco and I was agreeing with you.

My apologies to you and Ian for misreading you both. Sometimes things that would be obvious when speaking in person don't seem that way online. It's all cool.

Ian Jane
07-13-2012, 12:44 PM
My apologies to you and Ian for misreading you both. Sometimes things that would be obvious when speaking in person don't seem that way online. It's all cool.

Very true. It's all good.

Randy G
07-14-2012, 05:55 PM
Can a poorly shot film be compelling? Yes. Franco's limitations impair his storytelling.

Not all filmmakers are great storytellers but they can still be great directors. I don't think anyone would ever mistake Franco as being a great storyteller, or that he is even trying to be. He's not John Carpenter or Ford. Look at Herzog's fictional films or Tarkovsky and Antonioni. By 'storytelling' standards they aren't very good but they have other qualities that more than make up for it, imo.

Certainly Franco has made his fair share of crap but I can't think of single ill-considered shot in VENUS IN FURS or THE DIABOLICAL DR. Z for instance.

Doing post-sound isn't the problem per se, the entire Italian film industry worked this way and produced some tremendously moving films, the issue is more the crappy dubbing. But let's not forget these are exploitation films first and foremost. It is called Women in Cell Block 9 after all, I doubt that making the film emotionally involving and compelling was the point all the time.

Clearly Franco started to develop his style because he was shooting these films so quickly and on the cheap. I don't think the zooms and lack of focus are just some technical mistake, they're part of his decision to shoot his films in a loose and raw way, same as the early Paul Morrissey, a director who I think shares some things in common with Franco.

Richard--W
07-16-2012, 07:24 AM
What's the difference between El Sádico de Notre Dame and Exorcism (1979)? Are these different films or different versions of the same film or was another director involved? Which DVD offers which version in what quality?

Paul L
07-16-2012, 10:36 AM
What's the difference between El Sádico de Notre Dame and Exorcism (1979)? Are these different films or different versions of the same film or was another director involved? Which DVD offers which version in what quality?
Richard, THE SADIST OF NOTRE DAME is a re-edited version of EXORCISM/DEMONIAC (1974) which also features some new footage shot in 1978-1979. The new footage changes the narrative considerably, so they could be considered 'different' films from that perspective. There was also a XXX edit of the film called SEXORCISMES. All three versions contain unique footage. The Synapse DVD release represents another 'new' cut of the film that's a composite of sorts, and is intended to represent a 'version integrale' of the original 1974 film.

As far as I know, only the Synapse edit is available on DVD. To be honest, I prefer this version of the film, although there are those who prefer THE SADIST OF NOTRE DAME.

Apronikoff
07-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Richard, THE SADIST OF NOTRE DAME is a re-edited version of EXORCISM/DEMONIAC (1974) which also features some new footage shot in 1978-1979. The new footage changes the narrative considerably, so they could be considered 'different' films from that perspective. There was also a XXX edit of the film called SEXORCISMES. All three versions contain unique footage. The Synapse DVD release represents another 'new' cut of the film that's a composite of sorts, and is intended to represent a 'version integrale' of the original 1974 film.

As far as I know, only the Synapse edit is available on DVD. To be honest, I prefer this version of the film, although there are those who prefer THE SADIST OF NOTRE DAME.

It's also worth noting that Kino/Redemption will be releasing this on DVD and blu-ray in October alongside Female Vampire and Virgin Among the Living Dead.

Wllm Clys
07-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Speaking of Female Vampire, there's different versions of it. Which one should I watch if I want the sleaziest version :) I have F.V. on DVD but wasn't too impressed, maybe I have the wrong one. It was a cheap one, so no big deal.

sukebanboy
07-17-2012, 01:51 PM
FRANCO.....unfortunately an acquired taste that I have been (so far) unable to acquire!!!...and I have watched a fair few of them......mind you..I dont like JAZZ either..which , I have heard, FRANCO does...and takes the freeform jazz approach to making his movies..

Ian Jane
07-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Speaking of Female Vampire, there's different versions of it. Which one should I watch if I want the sleaziest version :) I have F.V. on DVD but wasn't too impressed, maybe I have the wrong one. It was a cheap one, so no big deal.

Mondo Digital (http://www.mondo-digital.com/jessfranco2.html) has some good info on the different versions.

I think the Image version is almost uncut but is missing some oral hardcore shots included in the German 'Insatiable Lust' version, but I get confused about these things sometimes and could be wrong.

Richard--W
07-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Is that what he's doing? Filming a jazz riff? No wonder his films turn out the way they do. What a luxury, to be able to shoot film after film as a jazz riff. But even improvised jazz builds on some kind of organized structure. I like the structured and syncopated era of jazz -- you know, Duke Ellington, Bessie Smith to Billie Holliday to Ella Fitzgerald and of course Mr. Frank Sinatra. Franco is no Duke Ellington. If it's one thing Franco doesn't do, it's syncopate.

Speaking of syncopation, I watched LORNA THE EXORCIST last night. There's no sense of timing or suspense. There's no awareness of the duration of a shot in relation to the duration of other shots. That having been said it has to be one of his best films. Mondo Macabro worked a minor miracle with it. It looks good. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

So far as I know the oop Image DVD of FEMALE VAMPIRE is the sleazy version, but it's the only version I've seen. There's the neck-biting version and the crotch-biting version. Image issued the latter. I can't believe the things I'm saying.

Paul L
07-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Mondo Digital (http://www.mondo-digital.com/jessfranco2.html) has some good info on the different versions.

I think the Image version is almost uncut but is missing some oral hardcore shots included in the German 'Insatiable Lust' version, but I get confused about these things sometimes and could be wrong.
That's right, Ian. The Image version omits a very brief bit of h/c oral shenanigans, which oddly enough was present in Redemption's old UK tape (of the same edit of the film) from the early 1990s - the BBFC must have missed that - from which the UK censors trimmed other material. Even more bizarrely, this version was broadcast on Channel 4 in (IIRC) 1999, with the brief h/c footage intact. I guess this brief moment of h/c footage was also present in Redemption's Benelux tape.

There's a good breakdown of the various versions, by Marc Morris, here: http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/96272-post8.html I assume this is taken from Morris' old Mondo Erotico site, which I have to say that I miss immensely.

Paul L
07-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Speaking of syncopation, I watched LORNA THE EXORCIST last night. There's no sense of timing or suspense. There's no awareness of the duration of a shot in relation to the duration of other shots. That having been said it has to be one of his best films. Mondo Macabro worked a minor miracle with it. It looks good. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I love LORNA... That sense of cultural decay that's mirrored by familial decay shines throughout the film. Having been raised in a declining seaside resort, LORNA... chimes with me greatly (along with Kumel's DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS, Pete Walker's FLESH AND BLOOD SHOW and Alan Bridges' OUT OF SEASON).

sukebanboy
07-17-2012, 11:49 PM
Is that what he's doing? Filming a jazz riff? No wonder his films turn out the way they do. What a luxury, to be able to shoot film after film as a jazz riff. But even improvised jazz builds on some kind of organized structure. I like the structured and syncopated era of jazz -- you know, Duke Ellington, Bessie Smith to Billie Holliday to Ella Fitzgerald and of course Mr. Frank Sinatra. Franco is no Duke Ellington. If it's one thing Franco doesn't do, it's syncopate.

nope...definitely FREEFORM jazz in the way that while watching a FRANCO film you feel that it could go in ANY direction.....its not the structured and syncopated era of jazz though, as that was age of the masters....but a rather experimental period where he just takes his camera and off he goes without thought of where it will lead...and creating a unique atmosphere every time...no two films are exactly the same in style or focus...only the ZOOM remains the same.LOL!!.at least thats the feeling I get from them.....and THATS why they are an aquired taste that I just dont have!

Ian Jane
07-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Diabolik DVD's product description for the upcoming Female Vampire Blu-ray/DVD from Kino says:

Countess Irina (Lina Romay) lives on the island of Madeira, Portugal,where she must drain the "life force" of men and women for her own survival. One of her lovers/victims is a poet (Jack Taylor) who believes the undead countess is meant for him. Featuring both a horror cut and erotic cut of the film.

Emphasis mine. Regardless, it'll be interesting to see what makes it onto this disc and what does not.

Ian Jane
07-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Oh and they have a preorder page up for FV and Exorcism on both Blu-ray and DVD.

Richard--W
07-21-2012, 01:34 AM

I wonder if the forthcoming Remption Blu-ray will include both versions of the film, since they are including both versions of FEMALE VAMPIRE on that blu-ray.

Alison Jane
07-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Don't get the Erotikill version of Female Vampire. The hc inserts are horribly out of place.

Richard--W
07-22-2012, 05:03 AM
Wasn't there a telecine problem with Blue Underground's Sadomania? Or am I thinking of some other release? We watched it tonight and I'm wondering if nighttime scenes shouldn't be darker or if Franco shot them as is and meant to leave them as is. You never know with Franco.

The film is a hoot and a half, and I enjoyed it.

Ian Jane
07-22-2012, 09:33 AM
This is what I wrote when I reviewed it years ago:

There is a very noticeable downside to the transfer though in that a couple of ‘day for night’ scenes that were tinted properly in other releases (most notably the Dutch Film Works PAL release) are presented here without any tint and appear as day time scenes. The most obvious scene where this occurs is when they crew are escaping with the Governor’s wife as a hostage and she gets out of the car and the guard addresses her by saying ‘Good Evening!’ despite the fact that this occurs in broad daylight.

Haven't seen it in a while - I don't think BU ever offered a corrected version?

Alison Jane
07-22-2012, 10:30 AM
You wrote much bigger years ago.

Paul L
07-24-2012, 05:30 PM
I wonder if the forthcoming Remption Blu-ray will include both versions of the film, since they are including both versions of FEMALE VAMPIRE on that blu-ray.

Here's hoping that they will. it would be nice to have a digital home video release of THE SADIST OF NOTRE DAME.

Alison Jane
07-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Got the Girls in the Night Traffic/Wilde Lust 2-disc set the other day. Watched the first of the two last night. This one seemed to have even less of a story than most of Franco's films, but there were different main actresses rather than the same ones that pop up in everything, so that made it a little different. Eric Falk was as ridiculous as usual, no naked karate though. No clothed karate either. Unfortunately.

Glad to finally have it as I've been looking for it for years and it's long out of print.

Geten
07-25-2012, 05:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcd2JA0avO8&feature=player_embedded
Forgot to point out, NSFW!

Ian Jane
07-25-2012, 05:44 PM
So it's a crypt full of horny lesbians?

Richard--W
07-29-2012, 05:33 PM
It doesn't look appealing.
I haven't seen any of Franco's recent digitally-shot porns / films. Are they really films or just home movies?

Paul L
07-29-2012, 09:58 PM
It doesn't look appealing.
I haven't seen any of Franco's recent digitally-shot porns / films. Are they really films or just home movies?
TENDER FLESH is the best of the bunch (in my opinion, of course). KILLER BARBYS is a fair film too. However, I find most of the rest of Franco's recent output to be difficult to watch.

Richard--W
08-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Thanks, Paul.

Getting ready for my next round-up of Franco DVDs.

LINDA (The Brutal Nights of Linda) and GIRLS OF THE COPACABANA are on Televista DVDs here in region 1.
Has anyone seen them? How's the picture quality? Are they English friendly?

Richard--W
08-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Does anyone know if the VIP edition of DOWNTOWN is region 0 PAL? or region 2?
Does it have an English subtitles or dub option?

Geten
08-02-2012, 10:49 AM
http://10kbullets.com/reviews/l/las-chicas-de-copacabana-the-girls-of-copacabana/ the r1 looks pretty much them same but with english subs.

Apronikoff
08-10-2012, 04:19 AM
What do you guys think of SINFONIA EROTICA?

Just watched it tonight and haven't made up my mind yet. I really dug the morbid/decadent atmosphere -- reminded me of VIRGIN AMONG THE LIVING DEAD, one of my favorite Francos. Lina Romay gave a great performance (and a fairly restrained one by her standards) and Susan Hemingway was pretty good too (and as lovely as ever.) Obviously cheap, even for a Franco film, but he made great use of existing locations to conceal that.

On the other hand Franco seemed really disengaged with everything but visual and audio textures. The plot (even the sex) seemed of only cursory interest to him this time around -- with his camera sliding away at the slightest provocation to focus on the landscape, on geometric patterns of light, or little architectural details. Granted, Franco always has that tendency...but it seemed exaggerated here. The entirety of the plot just seemed to be something that just happened to be going on while he was filming.

Alison Jane
08-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Does anyone know if the VIP edition of DOWNTOWN is region 0 PAL? or region 2?
Does it have an English subtitles or dub option?

R0 PAL. English subs.

Richard--W
08-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Thanks I bought it. Should be here in a day or so.

...The entirety of the plot just seemed to be something that just happened to be going on while he was filming.

My impression is that the entirety of the plot just seems to be something that happens to be going on while Franco filmed all his movies. He never juices anything unless it's the nudity and the sex and sometimes he doesn't even juice that. Which could be a good thing.

Newly arrived transfers, English-friendly, from the grey market:

1973 Obscene Mirror
1974 Celestine an All Round Maid -- I suspect this is a clone of the Blu-ray only with fan-subs.
1975 Brutal Nights of Linda
1980 Wicked Memoirs of Eugenie
1984 Lillian, the Perverted Virgin

More incoming.

Richard--W
08-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Note to Chris / steakmtn:

happy to provide the information you asked for but I'm unable to reply to your private message because no reply function appears. I think you have to be a member to receive a reply. Maybe Ian can clear this up.

Ian Jane
08-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Let me look into that - a user named stkmtn set off a spam filter so it got deleted. I'll see if I can sort it out.

Alison Jane
08-14-2012, 10:03 AM
I prefer steak to skt.

bgart13
08-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Redemption is working on an Orlof package/set...

Wllm Clys
08-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Is there a difference in cut between The Rites Of Frankenstein (Image DVD) and the german version on DVD called 'Jungfrau in den Krallen von Frankenstein'?

Richard--W
08-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Does anyone know the link for VIP in Switzerland? I was on the site one time but I've been unable to find it after the new hard drive was installed. I'm trying to order the VIP edition of Doriana Grey. I remember it was sold there but I went with an amazon seller who was cheaper and who listed the wrong edition {Wendecover without English subs) under the VIP.

Richard--W
08-17-2012, 06:24 AM
Nevermind.
I reviewed the thread and found that Ian posted the link

several pages back.

Paul L
08-21-2012, 04:54 AM
Is there a difference in cut between The Rites Of Frankenstein (Image DVD) and the german version on DVD called 'Jungfrau in den Krallen von Frankenstein'?
I don't think so, Willem: AFAIK (I haven't seen the Image disc but have read reviews about it) they both contain the longer 'clothed' version of the film. I think both discs (and the UK Tartan release) include some (all?) of the alternate scenes as a bonus feature.

Ian Jane
08-21-2012, 09:05 AM
From the DVD Talk review of the R1 release from Image:

"The only extra is what amounts to about 12 minutes of Alternate Footage featuring English titles (which brazenly call the film The Curse of Frankenstein, the same name as Hammer's 1957 classic) and a lot more nudity, so much so that this version (released in France as Les Experiences erotiques de Frankenstein) perilously approaches soft-core porn. This footage is also 16;9, but appears lifted from a VHS or maybe 3/4-inch tape source. The nudity adds nothing to the film - it's anything but erotic - so the decision to release the tamer version was probably a good one."

The German release also has that same 12 minutes of footage but also some other extras. Same clothed version of the movie on both discs.

Paul L
08-21-2012, 09:17 AM
From the DVD Talk review of the R1 release from Image:
"so the decision to release the tamer version was probably a good one."
I think I'd respectfully quibble with what's said in that review ( :) ) inasmuch as the shorter 'unclothed' version is not 'better' solely because it features nudity, but is in fact tighter structurally and has a better narrative 'flow' due to the omission of the digressionary subplot involving Lina Romay. I've watched the DVD once, but when I want to revisit the film I find myself watching my VHS rip of the shorter export cut rather than the longer domestic 'clothed' variant.

Ian Jane
08-21-2012, 09:30 AM
I don't think I've seen the nudie version - only the version on the Image DVD.

Being a Franco fan can get so damned complicated sometimes!

Richard--W
10-09-2012, 04:52 PM
I have extra copies of Barbed Wire Dolls (1977, VIP) and Das Bildnis der Doriana Gray (1976, ABC-DVD), still sealed in original shrink wrap, if anyone stateside wants them.

Alison Jane
10-10-2012, 06:57 AM
Nevermind.
I reviewed the thread and found that Ian posted the link

several pages back.

I hate that that site lists discs as available for purchase. I emailed them and they were like, yeah, nobody runs this site anymore. Well why is it there then taunting me?! :nono:

Richard--W
10-24-2012, 10:56 PM
The site doesn't seem to be active. I moved a title into a shopping cart but no payment option appeared. A week went by before I received a friendly email from Ascot Film GmbH's Klaus Fischer giving me their paypal addy. I hate paying that much for a DVD, but I sent the paypal. The DVD arrived in 10 days. The quality of the transfer and the package is above criticism. I'll be buying more from them in a day or so. Hope that helps. Let me know if you want the email address for Ascot.

Richard--W
10-31-2012, 01:02 PM
What's the best source for TENDER AND PERVERSE EMMANUELLE (1973) on DVD?

Any suggestions?

Paul L
10-31-2012, 01:17 PM
The German X-Rated edition is the (only?) one to plump for, Richard. I think it's OOP though.

Ian Jane
10-31-2012, 01:44 PM
I'm pretty sure it's the only legit release. I've seen bootlegs/DVD-Rs around and such - the X-rated edition was a limited edition wasn't it?

There's a fairly mysterious DVD from 'Telesales' available on Amazon but it's $40.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00522RPTA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00522RPTA&linkCode=as2&tag=cognitrespon-20

Ian Jane
11-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Watched Barbed Wire Dolls yesterday for the first time in a few years.

Random Barbed Wire Dolls ramblings:

-the slow motion scene in which Jess and Lina are stumbling around moving very slowly with the camera running at regular speed is amazingly awful and great.
-Monica Swinn looks rather pained with that monical jammed into her eye for most of the movie.
-the prisoners NEVER need pants. Ever.
-Eric Falk looks jamming sticks where they don't belong. He also stands at attention with bizarre enthusiasm when Swinn or anyone of authority enters.
-Again, Franco has managed to get a great location to make this fairly terrible movie into something more interesting than it should have been.
-The two red headed ladies that Lina winds up sharing the cell with are unusually leathery.
-Someone should have shaved Paul Mueller's back before his sex scene. Or not put him in a sex scene.
-Martine Stedil should have made more movies.

Richard--W
11-14-2012, 03:34 PM
I'm pretty sure it's the only legit release. I've seen bootlegs/DVD-Rs around and such - the X-rated edition was a limited edition wasn't it?

There's a fairly mysterious DVD from 'Telesales' available on Amazon but it's $40.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00522RPTA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00522RPTA&linkCode=as2&tag=cognitrespon-20

Do you have the X-Rated Kult limited edition, Ian?
I'll trade you a couple of extra witchcraft histories I have laying around here for a decent clone.

Apronikoff
11-15-2012, 01:23 AM
This may have already been discussed, if so sorry for the double post, but I just came across this comment from Severin Films' Carl Daft:

We’ve even got some top-secret new Jess Franco releases coming, too. Severin is back and better than ever!

No idea what those might be, but sounds promising...

Ian Jane
11-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Hooray for Severin going back to the well!

Richard, I'll get back to you. I don't think I have the X-rated release but my memory is fuzzy.

Apronikoff
11-15-2012, 03:39 PM
More Franco news...

In a response to another query on Facebook, Redemption revealed that they're working on tracking down alternate versions of Oasis of the Zombies for a forthcoming release...

Ian Jane
11-15-2012, 03:41 PM
More Franco news...

In a response to another query on Facebook, Redemption revealed that they're working on tracking down alternate versions of Oasis of the Zombies for a forthcoming release...

Huh. I didn't even know that there was one. Interesting.

Horace Cordier
11-15-2012, 04:06 PM
God I want FACELESS on Blu. I'd be wiling to rip someone's face off to get that done.

Ehren H
11-15-2012, 04:13 PM
I still haven't seen Faceless, and I remember the hearty recommendation you gave it Horace, I need to rectify that. I think the R1 DVD is still available..

Consider me VERY curious to see what Severin has in store.

Horace Cordier
11-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Ehren - FACELESS is so far up your alley it's parked in your colon.

Jared A.
11-15-2012, 09:19 PM
Over at Blu-ray.com they have a story about Severin, their new distributor (a lot of that going around, again), and their plans for BDs. Looks like those Frano releases will be in Hi-Def! I'd love it if they got the rights to some of Blue Underground Franco releases like the EUGENIE films, VENUS IN FURS and SADOMANIA. Or something completely new would be great too.

Ehren H
11-15-2012, 10:58 PM
so far up your alley it's parked in your colon.

I am 100% stealing this phrase.

Randy G
11-16-2012, 05:45 AM
I wonder if it might be MACUMBA SEXUAL or EUGENIE DE SADE, would love them on BR.

Ryan Clark
11-18-2012, 04:13 PM
This is what I wrote when I reviewed it years ago:

There is a very noticeable downside to the transfer though in that a couple of ‘day for night’ scenes that were tinted properly in other releases (most notably the Dutch Film Works PAL release) are presented here without any tint and appear as day time scenes. The most obvious scene where this occurs is when they crew are escaping with the Governor’s wife as a hostage and she gets out of the car and the guard addresses her by saying ‘Good Evening!’ despite the fact that this occurs in broad daylight.

Haven't seen it in a while - I don't think BU ever offered a corrected version?

BU did, in fact, provide a corrected version of Sadomania if you sent them the old disc. Try contacting them by email and they might still replace it for you.

Ian Jane
11-18-2012, 06:18 PM
I do remember that now. Thanks Ryan.

Wllm Clys
11-19-2012, 05:12 AM
Huh. I didn't even know that there was one. Interesting.

I hope the alternat versions are better than the available version. One of my least favourite Francos.

Newt Cox
11-24-2012, 10:48 AM
I have only seen 6 Jess Franco films so far.

Ilsa the Wicked Warden-Fun film
Jack the Ripper-First Franco I saw and I still enjoy it.
Mari Cookie and the Killer Tarantula-Really don't remember much about it.
Flesh for Frankenstein-Some nice visuals in the film but not that great
Tender Flesh-Nice variant on "The Most Dangerous game"

Randy G
11-24-2012, 07:51 PM
Are you sure you mean Flesh for Frankenstein or Erotic Rites of Frankenstein? Flesh is by Paul Morrissey.

Newt Cox
11-25-2012, 06:32 AM
Are you sure you mean Flesh for Frankenstein or Erotic Rites of Frankenstein? Flesh is by Paul Morrissey.

I got the title wrong. I meant Lust for Frankenstein. Got it on a flipper dvd with Tender Flesh.

Richard--W
11-26-2012, 08:40 PM
Having seen a bootleg of THE OBSCENE MIRROR I think it should become a priority of DVD distributors here in the states to get this out on home video.

Ian Jane
11-26-2012, 08:51 PM
What's the quality like on your copy, Richard? English subs or audio?

Richard--W
11-26-2012, 09:14 PM
The image quality is poor, seemingly sourced from a 35mm print, full of dirt and lines, but anamorphic at 1.85, windowboxed, probably uncut, in Italian with English subtitles. It's well-made for a Franco film. If you liked Countess Perverse, Lorna and Doriana Grey you're bound to like THE OBSCENE MIRROR. I'm sending a link to your PM.

Ian Jane
11-27-2012, 11:09 AM
And I got it before I saw this post so you can disregard my question about the image quality.

I think we have a one sheet for this movie somewhere.

chapacan
12-13-2012, 07:43 AM
merci beaucoup

Wllm Clys
12-15-2012, 05:27 PM
I ended up watching my Greek VHS copy of Bloody Moon tonight. It was a bit slow at first but the closer you got to the end, the better it became. The last 20 minutes were pure Franco madness! Although I have to admit, when he follows a formula (the slasher film or the zombie film), something is missing. I prefer him doing films that are harder to classify (Lorna, Vampyros, Sinner, ...).

Ian Jane
12-16-2012, 10:53 AM
That's a valid criticism for sure. His 'formula' films definitely lack that zany spark of creativity that make the projects he had more of a personal interest in so interesting.

Wllm Clys
12-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Of course, apart from the formula he uses, Bloody Moon was definitely a Franco film: brother-sister incest and other sleaze, some very demented scenes (mutilated face with the moon in the background, the wheelchair walks, guy with knife in his throat, ...).

Ian Jane
12-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Yeah the elements are there. I'd argue it's still atypical though, simply because it does more or less follow slasher conventions.

Richard--W
01-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Is footage missing from the Image disc RITES OF FRANKENSTEIN ? Is there an alternate version in release somewhere?

Ian, what did you think of THE OBSCENE MIRROR ?

Ian Jane
01-13-2013, 03:56 PM
I never did get around to ordering it. With the holidays, travel, then more travel it sort of dropped off of the priority list.

Regarding Rites, the Image disc is the clotch Spanish version though if memory serves correct the nude footage from the spicier version is included in the extras. I don't personally know of anything else out there related to the movie that isn't included on the disc, but given that this is Franco, I would not be in the least bit surprised to learn that there was more out there somewhere.

Paul L
01-13-2013, 04:31 PM
Is footage missing from the Image disc RITES OF FRANKENSTEIN ? Is there an alternate version in release somewhere?
Like Ian said, the alternate footage from the 'unclothed' French version of the film is included as an extra on the Image disc, but (imo) the alternate version of the film is much superior to the Spanish version released by Image - although, sadly, all DVDs seem to contain the Spanish version (the Image disc, the German X Rated DVD, the UK disc from Tartan). The 'unclothed' edit is a tighter film overall, eliminating the subplot involving Lina Romay's character. The only way to watch the alternate version is via the Dutch VHS release, which sadly is cropped to 1.85:1 or thereabouts - and so offers an equally compromised version of the film to the various DVD releases.

Richard--W
01-13-2013, 05:39 PM
Thanks, gents.

I'd like to see that French version somehow. I'll poke around. I'll bet the Dutch VHS isn't English friendly, is it?

Image also released DEVIL'S ISLAND LOVERS (1974) and NIGHT OF THE SKULL (aka NIGHT OF THE ASSASSINS, 1976). One review on amazon says that all the nudity and violence have been cut. Is that a fact, does anyone know? Are there more complete versions on DVD somewhere? Has anyone seen the region 2 double-feature disc on Tartan? How does that compare to the Image discs in region 1?

Richard--W
01-13-2013, 05:49 PM
Also, it is not clear to me if DEVIL'S ISLAND LOVERS is the same version as LOS AMANTES DE LAS ISLA DEL DIABLO. Are these two different cuts or is the English title dubbed and Spanish title subbed? Image's description on amazon does not make a distinction. It could be Image released the same version under two different covers, one Spanish and one English. Who knows?

Paul L
01-13-2013, 07:03 PM
Thanks, gents.

I'd like to see that French version somehow. I'll poke around. I'll bet the Dutch VHS isn't English friendly, is it?

Image also released DEVIL'S ISLAND LOVERS (1974) and NIGHT OF THE SKULL (aka NIGHT OF THE ASSASSINS, 1976). One review on amazon says that all the nudity and violence have been cut. Is that a fact, does anyone know? Are there more complete versions on DVD somewhere? Has anyone seen the region 2 double-feature disc on Tartan? How does that compare to the Image discs in region 1?
The Dutch tape is in English with Dutch subtitles, Richard.

DEVIL'S ISLAND LOVERS is indeed the 'softer' cut. There's a more risque edit that was released under the title QUARTIER DES FEMMES. Both versions of the film are substantially different: although both edits have roughly the same running time, each cut contains half an hour of exclusive footage. I've got the Tartan release, by the way; I believe the Tartan double-feature discs are derived from the same sources as the Image releases of the same titles.

Richard--W
01-13-2013, 08:01 PM
That's helpful, thanks.

The Dutch tape is in English with Dutch subtitles, Richard.

Then one of the greymarket companies will have transferred that tape to a DVD-R. Time to poke around.

I went ahead and bought Image's LOS AMANTES DE LAS ISLA DEL DIABLO. An amazon marketplace seller gouged me $2.25 for it New, plus $2.98 postage.

Still looking for NIGHT OF THE SKULL. Has anyone seen that?

Paul L
01-13-2013, 08:40 PM
I have! It's an atmospheric murder mystery but with a light Franco touch. It's very much like a German krimi and is surprisingly tame for this era of Franco's filmography. As far as Franco's body of work is concerned, it's middling (imo, of course) but definitely worth tracking down.

Ian Jane
01-14-2013, 10:27 AM
I have! It's an atmospheric murder mystery but with a light Franco touch. It's very much like a German krimi and is surprisingly tame for this era of Franco's filmography. As far as Franco's body of work is concerned, it's middling (imo, of course) but definitely worth tracking down.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Far from his best film but a perfectly entertaining 'mystery' of sorts with a few odd bits that definitely ring true as 'Franco touches.'

Paul L
01-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Saw this in my local Marks and Sparks. They're selling Jess Franco-inspired fashions now, apparently. Made me chuckle.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8368/8384347566_af807d11c1_c.jpg

Ian Jane
01-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Nice. Personally I'd like to see that look make a comeback. :eyebrows:

Terry C
01-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Hahaha. Just amazing.

Richard--W
01-15-2013, 03:47 PM
That "look" never went away, though. It just doesn't get window dressing in the stores very often.

Check the retro noir lingerie shop in the U.K. that I'm about to post in the Everything Else forum.

Ian Jane
01-15-2013, 06:11 PM
I will do that. From home.

Richard--W
01-18-2013, 01:56 AM
Received the Image disc of LOS AMANTES DE LAS ISLA DEL DIABLO. It's widescreen 2:35, perhaps a bit stretched, anamorphic, 80 minutes 24 seconds, and copyrighted 1972. So it's a 1972 film. No English dub, but there's optional English subtitles. The cover art is NOT reversible. I still don't know if Image released the film in English in the edition with the English title -- DEVIL'S ISLAND LOVERS. I don't suppose that would make much sense, but I'll buy it just to find out in my next go-round.

Ian Jane
01-18-2013, 10:31 AM
Received the Image disc of LOS AMANTES DE LAS ISLA DEL DIABLO. It's widescreen 2:35, perhaps a bit stretched, anamorphic, 80 minutes 24 seconds, and copyrighted 1972. So it's a 1972 film. No English dub, but there's optional English subtitles. The cover art is NOT reversible. I still don't know if Image released the film in English in the edition with the English title -- DEVIL'S ISLAND LOVERS. I don't suppose that would make much sense, but I'll buy it just to find out in my next go-round.

Unless I'm reading you wrong you're asking if Image released it separately with an English dub? If that's the case, no, I don't believe that they did. There's only one domestic DVD release that I'm aware of and the Spanish language (with Eng. subs) Image disc is it.

There's a Tartan UK disc that pairs it up with Night Of The Assassins but it's in Spanish with Eng. subs as well.

http://www.dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=232

Scott MacDonald
01-21-2013, 03:58 PM
I asked Severin over the weekend on their FB, if their Franco releases would be re-releases of prior Franco releases, or new stuff entirely. This was their reply.

Venus is owned by Blue Underground and VL (Vampyros Lesbos) sadly fell into the library of a major company so is untouchable by us. Our upcoming Francos will be Blu and never before on disc in the US and, in the case of one title, anywhere in the world... currently being transferred from a long lost film element.

Let the speculation begin!

Paul L
01-21-2013, 04:09 PM
VL (Vampyros Lesbos) sadly fell into the library of a major company so is untouchable by us.
Shame about this, but the rest of your message carries some good news, Scott. Looks like the moths will be let out of my wallet once again this year :biggrin:

Scott MacDonald
01-21-2013, 04:21 PM
If a major company owns it (I'm betting LG), than I'm going to assume a decent release is off the cards for quite some time.

Richard--W
01-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Something to look forward to from Synapse. "Our upcoming Francos will be Blu and never before on disc in the US and, in the case of one title, anywhere in the world..." Francos as in plural. I wonder how many that is. Two? Three? How many years apart? Could it be that we'll get more than one release in the year instead of being tormented by releasing only one a year like they're doing with Hammer? Their Hammer transfers do not inspire confidence.

I suspect THE OBSCENE MIRROR will be one of the releases. Yes I do.

Paul L
01-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Something to look forward to from Synapse. "Our upcoming Francos will be Blu and never before on disc in the US and, in the case of one title, anywhere in the world..." Francos as in plural. I wonder how many that is. Two? Three? How many years apart? Could it be that we'll get more than one release in the year instead of being tormented by releasing only one a year like they're doing with Hammer? Their Hammer transfers do not inspire confidence.

I suspect THE OBSCENE MIRROR will be one of the releases. Yes I do.
I've got a feeling it's more likely to be those late-1970s/early-1980s productions - like SINFONIA EROTICA, THE STORY OF LINDA, LILIAN, etc.

Richard--W
01-21-2013, 07:54 PM
I'll be just as pleased with those, Paul, providing they are telecined properly and don't end up like VAMPIRE CIRCUS. Synapse should have issued a recall and replacement disc on that one.

Paul L
01-21-2013, 08:10 PM
I'll be just as pleased with those, Paul
Me too, although THE OBSCENE MIRROR or THE BRUTAL NIGHTS OF LINDA would be a dream come true.

Jared A.
01-22-2013, 02:36 AM
It's Severin, not Synapse, that's doing these upcoming Francos.

Richard--W
01-22-2013, 04:27 AM
Slip of the tongue, Jared. Got confused over the s's. A thousand pardons.

Will Severin be upgrading previous Franco releases to blu?

Blue Underground announced Fifty Shades of de Sade, a collection of Franco's de Sade films in one box-set for April 23:

Fifty Shades of De Sade
- Marquis de Sade's Justine ( Justine ) (Restored Extended Version) (1969)
- Eugenie... the Story of Her Journey into Perversion ( Isla de la muerte, La ) (1970)
- Eugénie de Sade ( Eugénie ) (1970)
- Justine de Sade (1972) director Claude Pierson.

Nothing that hasn't been released before but tying Franco in with THE Fifty Shades of Grey bestsellers is not a bad idea. That should sell a few DVD's to the Grey buffs.

Actually, Franco did make a couple of other de Sade inspired films that haven't been released here, there or anywhere. That may be an opportunity for some enterprising home video distributor to further capitalize on the Fifty Shades of Grey connection -- bondage and all that -- if they can secure the elements and the rights.

Ian Jane
02-08-2013, 03:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9iNrfP24ec

Ian Jane
02-08-2013, 04:04 PM
Oh and then there's this:

Al Pereira vs. the Alligator Ladies - which is Franco's latest directorial effort and debuting soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK6TRHsGiGs&feature=player_embedded

Trailer is definitely NSFW (don't be surprised if youtube pulls it down soon). It's great to see him still working at least.

Ian Jane
02-08-2013, 04:05 PM
The same user also uploaded a trailer for 2012's Crypt Of The Condemned, which I also think is so far unreleased?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3E6anw4bcY

Sorry. Slow work day, been looking up Franco oddities on the internet to kill time.

Paul L
02-08-2013, 07:24 PM
I'd love to believe that Yoda story, but I think it's a case of Franco's trademark blarney... Wonderfully told blarney, but froth and nonsense all the same. He's a wind-up artist of the first order.

Geten
02-09-2013, 07:17 AM
Crypt Of The Condemned have aired on some festival I think, so far at least. Al Pereira vs. the Alligator Ladies will go up on a few select theaters in Spain in march, the first in around 15 years not to go directly to video/dvd.

Ian Jane
02-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Crypt Of The Condemned have aired on some festival I think, so far at least. Al Pereira vs. the Alligator Ladies will go up on a few select theaters in Spain in march, the first in around 15 years not to go directly to video/dvd.

Great for Franco if he can get it into theaters. As that's not likely to happen in the US though, I'd welcome DVD or Blu-ray releases. Even if his recent stuff doesn't work for me the way the older stuff does, I'll check it all out just out of curiosity. Paula Paula was kinda cool at least.

Geten
02-10-2013, 12:21 AM
Great for Franco if he can get it into theaters. As that's not likely to happen in the US though, I'd welcome DVD or Blu-ray releases. Even if his recent stuff doesn't work for me the way the older stuff does, I'll check it all out just out of curiosity. Paula Paula was kinda cool at least.

I'm with you there. Franco pre-90ies = good (for the most part). The One Shoot Productions = mostly shit (there are some decent flicks there though). But I will pick up the new stuff if/when it hits DVD for sure.

Ian Jane
02-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Have you seen Antenna Criminal? A pretty interesting look at what he was working with (not much) on the One Shot productions. I got the impression he did them just because he needs to keep working, to feed his addiction to filmmaking I guess. It's a pretty great look behind the scenes of one of his worst movies.

Randy G
02-10-2013, 06:31 PM
It's too bad these One-Shot productions are no good, with digital cameras progressing to the point where they actually look pretty good this would seem the ideal time for him but it seems something is missing from the productions.

Lalala76
02-16-2013, 02:22 PM
Excuse me if its old news (I'm relatively new to this forum) but apart from the recent announcement by Redemption and 14 franco titles to come ,is there any news on any others being released (say by severin etc) and any speculation as to the titles. Im expanding my collection, but feel like I should hold out for announcements. Ive already double dipped on so many in the past.

Lalala76
02-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Excuse me if its old news (I'm relatively new to this forum) but apart from the recent announcement by Redemption and 14 franco titles to come ,is there any news on any others being released (say by severin etc) and any speculation as to the titles. Im expanding my collection, but feel like I should hold out for announcements. Ive already double dipped on so many in the past.

Forgot to mention that if anyone knows if there are titles coming that have never been released on dvd or blu before

Geten
02-16-2013, 09:29 PM
Lalala76: Regarding Severin: "Our upcoming Francos will be Blu and never before on disc in the US and, in the case of one title, anywhere in the world... currently being transferred from a long lost film element.", the wrote on their Facebook that titles would be announced soon. And Mondo Macabro have Plaisir à trois (DVD) planned for this year.

Richard--W
02-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Anyone care to speculate what the hitherto unreleased title from a long-lost element might be?
Going down the checklist of titles on imdb, I can't figure it out partly because I don't know which titles have never been released or thought lost.

Apronikoff
02-16-2013, 09:52 PM
Watched Exorcism last night. Thought it was pretty good...not top-shelf Franco by any means, but still definitely held my interest. Seemed to me to be one that was really all about the performances. I don't think Jess has ever been better in any of his acting parts than he was this time around. Sort of a contemporary take on all the Witchfinder General/Mark of the Devil kind of movies.

Main drawback was the lack of visual flair. So many of his movies are marked by his ability to find great settings, either natural or architectural -- but the locales for this one were pretty bland.

Apronikoff
02-16-2013, 09:55 PM
Anyone care to speculate what the hitherto unreleased title from a long-lost element might be?
Going down the checklist of titles on imdb, I can't figure it out partly because I don't which titles have never been released or thought lost.

I remember in Pete Tombs book he mentioned a couple of "lost" films...too lazy to drag out the book though and see which they were.

Looking at imdb, though, my interest is definitely piqued by "Sex Charade." Soledad Miranda, Maria Rohm and Howard Vernon -- that's pretty much Franco all-stars right there. Anyone know anything about that one?

s.chivers
02-17-2013, 06:19 AM
I seem to recall that Sex Charade was slated for release by Media Blasters a few years back but they couldn't locate any audio elements.

Lalala76
02-17-2013, 06:34 AM
Lalala76: Regarding Severin: "Our upcoming Francos will be Blu and never before on disc in the US and, in the case of one title, anywhere in the world... currently being transferred from a long lost film element.", the wrote on their Facebook that titles would be announced soon. And Mondo Macabro have Plaisir à trois (DVD) planned for this year.

Ak Thankyou for that. As Im in the Uk Im kinda hoping these are region all. I dont buy Franco Uk releases as they are genuinly cut to shreds. Or they are already submitted to the bbfc cut and then the bbfc announces them as uncut as they havent had to do any work. My personal hopes are for Shining sx, bnol or come to think of it any Franco/romay collaboration unreleased from the 70s period, but possibly some of the 80s golden films period too.

Geten
02-17-2013, 06:39 AM
Elements for Sex Charade still haven't surfaced as I understood it, so it won't be that one (someone asked about it on Facebook).

Lalala76
02-17-2013, 07:30 AM
Just come across this on the official Dietrich site for franco (Apologise again if this is old news)

ECD intends all Jess Franco fans out there and presents the "GOYA Jess Franco Collection". A Blu-ray box with 8 classic films of the Spanish maestro, mastered from the original film negatives, restored to the highest HD demands. The box is going to contain gems such as JACK THE RIPPER starring Klaus Kinski, THOUSAND EROTIC VIBRATIONS OF DORIANA GRAY and DOWNTOWN, THE NAKED DOLLS OF THE UNDERWORLD, both starring adult superstar Lina Romay. The films of course are all released in an uncut version. GOYA is the Spanish version of the Oscar, which Jess Franco was given in 2009 for his lifetime achievement (Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKABeBoz2IQ). With this box, we again honor the work of the outstanding Jess Franco

Richard--W
02-17-2013, 08:44 AM
Would you post the link to this blu-ray announcement?

Exciting news.

Geten
02-17-2013, 09:36 AM
http://www.erwincdietrich.com

Lalala76
02-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Not too sure how long this announcement has been up on the site, but havent seen this anywhere else. I guess as with the other forthcoming blu ray releases its just a waiting game.

Lalala76
02-17-2013, 12:29 PM
I posted on the celestine thread but does anyone know if its worth upgrading to the tonfilm blu ray of celestine. Its longer in length than the artus copy that I own but cant find any information anywhere as to what that footage contains. I mean It is allegedly an extra scene with Lina. Why was it cut in the first place? Its not an overly explicit film. Has anyone bought this and could help me out. Plus I love the artwork on these edition tonfilm editions but they are expensive hence the question as to whether its worth it for an extra 5 minutes of footage.

John Bernhard
02-17-2013, 03:17 PM
Not sure why the extra scene was removed. It looks like a nice little romp, here are some grabs.
http://i.imgur.com/vvSbbTO.png http://i.imgur.com/x29jJ0X.png
http://i.imgur.com/IT9AA5B.png http://i.imgur.com/Z9wj5O2.png
http://i.imgur.com/wnT2zIM.png http://i.imgur.com/iHjrkEZ.png

Lalala76
02-17-2013, 04:12 PM
Thankyou for taking the time to do that. Looks like the usual Franco directed Lina scene. Not too sure why that was cut though. At least now I know what the scene is. I guess it probably takes it slighly beyond the nudity already shown in the french version.

Richard--W
02-18-2013, 05:26 AM
Film Aficianado, formerly DVD Aficianado has a place-holder up for CRAZY NUNS (Les Chatouilleuses, 1975) from Kino / Redemption. No date, no cover art.

Tim Lucas' review of BAHIA BLANCA (1984) on his blog:

http://www.vwpro.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/94-bahia-blanca-1984.html

raises my curiosity to see the film. He watched a DVD-R. Maybe it will be one of the new releases, who knows.

Edit: another Tim Lucas review of an unreleased Franco, ESCLAVAS DEL CRIMEN (SLAVES OF CRIME, 1986):

http://www.vwpro.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/62-esclavas-del-crimen-slaves-of-crime.html

Edit: yet another Tim Lucas review of an unreleased Franco, GEMIDOS DE PLACER (1983), this time from a Spanish DVD:

http://www.vwpro.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/40-gemidos-de-placer-1983.html

He gives it very high praise.

Geten
02-18-2013, 08:03 AM
There is a lot of releases in FilmAF that has just been hinted at, sometimes not even that. So I wouldn't use them as a sourch ;)

You can't call Gemidos de Placer unreleased seeing it is out on DVD, in Spanish only, but a decent enough transfer. I got it myself (fansubs are available online), it's an okey movie, but I can't really see why so many people hold it in such high regards.

Richard--W
02-18-2013, 08:16 AM
I'd like to see it with the subs. I can't download and apply subs myself.

Wasn't THE NUDE PRINCESS (1976)
http://www.amazon.com/The-Nude-Princess-Ajita-Wilson/dp/B005BFFTQO/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A1N1TLCHJBRCBE
actually directed by Franco?

Lalala76
02-18-2013, 08:34 AM
Trashpalace have a few good prints of Francos 80s films. I own Gemidos with subs and I think they stock Mil sexos with subs amongst others. If you email them/him (his name is Brian) he will tell you how good the print is etc. You can get some really rare titles from there some though of varying quality). Its worth a look.

Ian Jane
02-18-2013, 10:48 AM
Wasn't THE NUDE PRINCESS (1976)
http://www.amazon.com/The-Nude-Princess-Ajita-Wilson/dp/B005BFFTQO/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A1N1TLCHJBRCBE
actually directed by Franco?

Not that I'm aware of, no. It's a cool movie though. The old Mondo Macabro DVD was great at the time, though it's long out of print now.

Lalala76
02-19-2013, 07:32 AM
New update on the Erwin Dietrich site. Are these the blu rays I mentioned earlier in the thread???

http://jessfranco.tv/overview.html

Lalala76
02-19-2013, 07:42 AM
New update on the Erwin Dietrich site. Are these the blu rays I mentioned earlier in the thread???

http://jessfranco.tv/overview.html

Umm come to think of it, this may be an old link. Downtown was re-released on dvd so it may refer to them. Sorry for getting hopes up.

Ian Jane
02-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Yeah, the other titles were released too.

Some day maybe he'll release that stuff on Blu-ray but as much as I'd love that I'm not holding my breath.

Lalala76
02-19-2013, 11:54 AM
[QUOTE=Ian Jane;53692]Yeah, the other titles were released too.

Some day maybe he'll release that stuff on Blu-ray but as much as I'd love that I'm not holding my breath.[/QUOTE

Ok so I emailed them. This is the response..........

Yes, this is definitely still going to happen.

The release schedule looks like that for the moment:

September 24th, 2013

JACK THE RIPPER

DORIANA GRAY

October 22nd, 2013

WOMEN FOR CELLBLOCK 9

ILSA – THE WICKED WARDEN

November 19th, 2013

VOODOO PASSION

DOWNTOWN

December 3th, 2013

WICKED WOMEN

SLAVES

MIDNIGHT PARTY

WHITE SKIN ON BLACK LEGS

…plus more titles to come!

Best regards,

Marzio

Ian Jane
02-19-2013, 01:58 PM
And those are for Blu-ray discs then? That's awesome.

Lalala76
02-19-2013, 02:05 PM
And those are for Blu-ray discs then? That's awesome.

Yes. Although didnt confirm whether they were region free or English friendly, but based on the dvds I guess they will be. Exciting to see that along with their existing catalogue becoming available in blu, they are also releasing other titles ie Midnight party etc but Sep this year to 2014 thats way too long!!!!

stinty
02-19-2013, 09:00 PM
Are these the uncut directors versions I wonder, as some of the older VIP DVD editions were cut I believe, only the 8 disc box-set had all the uncut versions. Are there any XXX versions of the intended releases, if so will they see the light of day. Regardless, I'm excited by this, the amount of cult stuff coming out on Blu is absolutely great.

Richard--W
02-20-2013, 03:36 AM
The VIP region 0 editions were uncut. They could be bought singly or in a box-set. Additional titles like SEXY SISTERS and LOVE CAMP came out after the box-set and could only be bought singly. VIP went into association with Anchor Bay in the U.K. and these editions, bearing the logo of both companies, were the censored, cut versions of the films except for JACK THE RIPPER and ILSA which managed to travel as far as the USA in uncut editions. At least, that's my assessment after the past year of Franco hunting.

[QUOTE=Ian Jane;53692]Yeah, the other titles were released too.

Some day maybe he'll release that stuff on Blu-ray but as much as I'd love that I'm not holding my breath.[/QUOTE

Ok so I emailed them. This is the response..........

Yes, this is definitely still going to happen.
The release schedule looks like that for the moment:

September 24th, 2013
JACK THE RIPPER
DORIANA GRAY

October 22nd, 2013
WOMEN FOR CELLBLOCK 9
ILSA – THE WICKED WARDEN

November 19th, 2013
VOODOO PASSION
DOWNTOWN

December 3th, 2013
WICKED WOMEN
SLAVES

MIDNIGHT PARTY
WHITE SKIN ON BLACK LEGS

…plus more titles to come!

Best regards, Marzio

I paid dearly for some of these VIP and ABCD imports only three months ago. Jeez louise.

Anyone know which films SLAVES and WHITE SKIN ON BLACK LEGS are? I don't know these titles.

Apronikoff
02-20-2013, 03:51 AM
Anyone know which films SLAVES and WHITE SKIN ON BLACK LEGS are? I don't know these titles.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/732/sklavinnenus0.jpg

The Slaves (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0193510/) aka Swedish Nympho Slaves aka Die Sklavinnen

http://static.cinemarx.ro/poze/filme-mari/2011/05/Wei_223_e_Haut_und_schwarze_Schenkel_1304759995_19 76.jpg

White Skin on Black Thighs (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075418/) AKA Weiße Haut und schwarze Schenkel

Paul L
02-20-2013, 04:12 AM
Are these the uncut directors versions I wonder, as some of the older VIP DVD editions were cut I believe,
I bought most of the VIP Franco discs when they were released and I don't think they were cut, stinty, unless there are one or two that I've forgotten about. The Anchor Bay UK editions - which used the VIP masters - suffered some cuts (BARBED WIRE DOLLS, LOVE LETTERS OF A PORTUGUESE NUN, ILSA THE WICKED WARDEN and LOVE CAMP were all cut by the BBFC, IIRC, and of course WOMEN IN CELL BLOCK 9 was banned completely), which was frustrating as the Anchor Bay UK editions mostly contained English subs for the German language tracks - now there's something I'd like to see on these Blus.

Paul L
02-20-2013, 04:44 AM
You know, rewatching EXORCISM (for the umpteenth time), I'm reminded of how much people's claims that Franco's movies are poorly shot is a load of old bollocks. They're shot quickly and cheaply, but not poorly. EXORCISM is visually stunning - it's not beautiful, but it's beautifully lensed: those extreme wide-angle lenses that connect Vogel's home with the nightclub, confirming visually the confusion of stagecraft magic with dark rituals; the canted angles; the almost verite-style street scenes. So much in the film is predicated on the choice of locations, as always with Franco: this time, I was struck by how the editor's office is white and clinical, an ironic comment on his association with the 'dark' S/M scene and his assertion to Romay that they will have a 'real Black Mass' - which the eavesdropping Vogel interprets literally. (Re: the recent Redemption-Alfredo Leone controversy, I like to picture Alfredo Leone as Vogel, and Nigel Wingrove as the magazine editor. Remake, anyone? :biggrin: )

Apronikoff
02-20-2013, 05:06 AM
I'm reminded of how much people's claims that Franco's movies are poorly shot is a load of old bollocks. They're shot quickly and cheaply, but not poorly. EXORCISM is visually stunning - it's not beautiful, but it's beautifully lensed:

Couldn't agree more. I've been on a Franco kick this week (Exorcism, Oasis of the Zombies and Macumba Sexual so far) and I've been thinking along the same line. When you compare the way Franco uses his camera to much of modern hollywood -- the latter may be more polished, but it frequently is lensed with all the imagination of a sitcom. There's so much clever and inventive use of the camera, consciousness of space and of light, and eye for scenery and architecture in Franco's films that I find the "hack" line kind of inexplicable. His films were usually cheap and quick, and they usually show it. But he had genuine talent. He worked under Orson Welles, after all, and at his best it shows...

Lalala76
02-20-2013, 05:41 AM
I was watching El sexo esta loco the other day and if I remember there is a scene where Lina Romay is sat in front of a mirror. At first I thought she was talking to a character played by Franco himself (I couldnt tell as it was the Spanish no subs version) as you could clearly see him and then I had to laugh as not only could you see Franco but the camera and camera crew. It was a reflection in the mirror and it was the most blatant thing I have seen. If you own it check it out. But other than these mistakes I agree with the above. I just thought I would bring it up as it something recent that I saw.

stinty
02-20-2013, 06:00 AM
I have had renewed interest in Franco in the past year, previously I have been burned with some cut versions. They were indeed the UK anchor bay ones, I should have known better. They were in almost identical packaging, I was fooled !

I can't wait for these Blus, I don't even mind waiting until sept for the first.

Lalala76
02-20-2013, 06:19 AM
The VIP region 0 editions were uncut. They could be bought singly or in a box-set. Additional titles like SEXY SISTERS and LOVE CAMP came out after the box-set and could only be bought singly. VIP went into association with Anchor Bay in the U.K. and these editions, bearing the logo of both companies, were the censored, cut versions of the films except for JACK THE RIPPER and ILSA which managed to travel as far as the USA in uncut editions. At least, that's my assessment after the past year of Franco hunting.

[QUOTE=Lalala76;53717]

I paid dearly for some of these VIP and ABCD imports only three months ago. Jeez louise.

I know what you mean. I am on a Franco/Romay fix at moment and have been expanding my collection. Although its fantastic news that there are now plans for many titles to be released on blu, I just wish that we have specific dates and titles so I know to hold on instead of buying the sometimes overpriced dvds. I know Redemption and Severin have plans but PLEASE announce the full list and dates rather than just tease us. As for buying the VIP releases 3 months ago, at least you have another few months to enjoy them before the blu. Would you rather not have them for a few months? As for the Blus, how much better can you get the transfers. The VIP editions have the best transfers I have seen for Franco films (barring MM's Countess perverse) so how good are they going to look in HD? The two titles that I know about from this range that havent the best are Downtown (well at least the first release, I havent seen the re-issue) and Die Sklavinnen (It starts and ends with an excellent transfer but bizarrely for about 30 minutes or more in the middle it reverts to an inferior print) maybe thats all that was available