PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Stones (Top 5 Albums)

John Gargo
03-15-2011, 08:42 AM
I used to think the Rolling Stones were the most overrated band on the planet but here I am listening to the bootleg "Jamming with Edward!" and a collection of all of their albums up to Some Girls. So, an excuse to start a Rolling Stones thread will be to list your top 5 (studio) albums, and perhaps that will trigger some discussion. :)

1. Exile on Main Street
2. Let it Bleed
3. Beggar's Banquet
4. Aftermath UK
5. Sticky Fingers

Ian Jane
03-15-2011, 09:01 AM
1. Exile On Main Street
2. Some Girls
3 . Sticky Fingers
4. Let It Bleed
5. Begar's Banquet

Exile is one of my favorite albums of all time.

John Gargo
03-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Exile was actually my first Rolling Stones album, and despite the many highlights I was initially nonplussed by a record that I thought was overlong and needlessly stretched out with filler. Now I wouldn't cut a single note from the damn thing. It's got an atmosphere that's never been replicated, either by the Stones themselves or anyone else. :)

Ian Jane
03-15-2011, 09:43 AM
Agreed. It's their high point by a large margin. I can see why it might take a while to grow on you, but I agree that there's nothing to cut from it. It's a great record.

I still need to get that reissue with all the extra tracks.

John Gargo
03-15-2011, 09:51 AM
I heard they "cleaned up" the sound of the record... no thanks.

Ian Jane
03-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Seriously? That sounds like a horrible idea. The 2nd disc of unrleased tracks is tempting though.

John Gargo
03-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Mind you, this is only going from some of the reviews on amazon, but the complaints have scared me off...

A terrible reissue..,

Anyone who thinks this remastering is an improvement over Bob Ludwig's 1994 version for Virgin should not be commenting on the sound of anything. This remastering has been terribly compressed. The life has been sucked out of it. It's been made small and stupid and someone here has actually posted the measurements proving what those of us who listen for a living immediately heard.

There's no excuse for what was done here. Find yourself the older version or better yet the original vinyl and get to know what good is.

GREAT music,TERRIBLE sound

If you want to hear an excellent CD version of this classic,go back to the 1994 Bob Ludwig remaster.To my ears,this is one of the worst sounding reissues I've heard in a very long time...
_________

What a HUGE disappointment

I've been eagerly awaiting this re-release since it was first announced, and my worst fears are realized. With the highly overrated Don Was at the helm I knew this would happen. It is so hyper-compressed and limited it sounds like holy CRAP! A full 8dB louder than the original CD release, vocals are pushed back in the mix, horn parts are barely audible, all of the traits of an over-mastered album. Granted the original CD was strident in the upper midrange, but you could compensate with a touch of eq around 3k or so. This, you can do nothing with. I only give this two stars because the album is so great even Don Was can't completely screw it up.

Can't Recommend the 2010 Remaster

I've gone back and forth between the 1994 Virgin Remaster and the 2010 Remaster. They are definitely not the same. I had no problems with the 1994 remaster. The 2010 Remaster is immediately louder, which makes you think it might be better. But everything sounds compressed and pushed up front. The original album is kind of murky and swampy and I think that is captured better on the 1994 remaster. On 'Rocks Off' Bill Wyman's rubbery bass has more presence on the 1994 Remaster. I'm also not picking up the little Nicky Hopkins piano flourishes or the copper blast when the horns kick in on the 2010 remasters. In general I've liked the 1994 Virgin Remasters on the whole post-Allen Klein catalogue. I was hoping the 2010 Exile Remasters would spread out and let us hear more, but it seems everything is strangled up front and subtlety be damned. Too bad.

Mike Howlett
03-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Goat's Head Soup
Exile on Main St.
Beggars Banquet
Let it Bleed
Sticky Fingers

Ian Jane
03-15-2011, 05:39 PM
I have the 94 remater already. I still might pick up the new one for the bonus tracks if I see it cheap.

Goldberg
03-18-2011, 09:21 PM
It's funny but for all the hoo-haa about the Stones, I don't reckon they had more than 5 great albums:

1. Sticky Fingers
2. Let it bleed
3. Emotional Rescue
4. Exile on Mainstreet
5. Beggars Banquet

Goldberg
03-18-2011, 09:23 PM
It's funny but for all the hoo-haa about the Stones, I don't reckon they had more than 5 great albums:

1. Sticky Fingers
2. Let it bleed
3. Emotional Rescue
4. Exile on Mainstreet
5. Beggars Banquet

I got the 94' remaster of Sticky when I was in New York back then, and got the Emo Rescue one here. But I missed on the Exile from back then, but at least I still have it on vinyl.