PDA

View Full Version : The Straight Story (1999) - David Lynch

Matt H.
01-24-2017, 03:29 PM
I finally got around to watching this for the 2nd time and it blew me away; I remember liking it the first time around, but now I would consider it a masterpiece, and one of Lynch's best films. It's weird and unpredictable, but in a gentle way; the tone is completely different from his usual dark and sinister worldview. I feel that this one isn't discussed as much because it's not considered typically "weird" Lynch, but it really is worth seeing again.

Paul L
01-24-2017, 05:54 PM
When this was released, I was one of those who was caught off-guard, especially as it was sandwiched between LOST HIGHWAY and MULHOLLAND DRIVE - what a run of films that was to see on the big screen! I saw it and was bemused; I watched it later on DVD and realised how beautiful it was. It's an amazing film, much more subtly subversive (of cinematic convention) than the films Lynch made around it.

Come to think of it, I need to see it again.

Mark Tolch
01-24-2017, 07:03 PM
I still have yet to see this, which makes me a terrible Lynch fan.

Ian Jane
01-24-2017, 07:49 PM
I saw it when it first came out and remember really liking it, but I'll be damned if all this time later I could tell you why.

I simply remember it as a charming film. Charming is not an adjective I use often, but I remember it being spot on for this movie.

Now I'm keen to see it again to jog my memory.

Tom Clark
01-24-2017, 08:13 PM
Its a great film to show to Lynch detractors who slag him off as "one note" or the tired cries of "weird for weird sake". The fact that it was based on fact just proves what Lynch always said right, about real life being full of abstractions.

Dark Horse 77
01-24-2017, 08:27 PM
I'd love for Criterion to make this their next Lynch release.

Matt H.
01-24-2017, 09:53 PM
I simply remember it as a charming film. Charming is not an adjective I use often, but I remember it being spot on for this movie.

Haha, I know exactly what you mean. I used the word "gentle" in my assessment, because they really are the kind of adjectives that pop into your head when trying to describe this film. It gives you a warm feeling without ever becoming cheesy or melodramatic.

Matt H.
01-24-2017, 09:59 PM
Its a great film to show to Lynch detractors who slag him off as "one note" or the tired cries of "weird for weird sake". The fact that it was based on fact just proves what Lynch always said right, about real life being full of abstractions.

I think it would be really cool (and unexpected) if he made another film like this one.

Randy G
01-24-2017, 10:01 PM
I need to revisit it as I was distinctly underwhelmed when I saw it. Lynch had already proved he could do more classical and emotionally involving filmmaking back with the wonderful ELEPHANT MAN.

Matt H.
01-24-2017, 10:08 PM
I still haven't seen ELEPHANT MAN.

Randy G
01-24-2017, 10:10 PM
If you enjoyed THE STRAIGHT STORY you should dig it. I need to give SS another chance for sure.

Mark Tolch
01-25-2017, 08:01 AM
I LOVE The Elephant Man.

Paul L
01-25-2017, 01:12 PM
I LOVE The Elephant Man.
I couldn't agree more with Mark. It's an amazing film with some beautiful photography by Freddie Francis. Christopher Tucker's makeup effects are amazing too, and Hurt's performance carries the film. It's deeply affecting in a genuine rather than over-sentimental Hollywood sense, and to be honest I find it hard to watch because it's so heartbreaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avq6f4JQYMI

Matt H.
01-25-2017, 01:21 PM
I'm a huge Lynch fan - and I've seen all of his other features - but I've just never had any desire to see ELEPHANT MAN. I'm sure once I see it, I'll be wondering why I waited so long.

JoeS
01-25-2017, 03:24 PM
STRAIGHT STORY is a fine gentle and charming film. :) My favorite gag is when Straight drives off in his tractor and the camera pans up. The viewer thinks it's a cut-away. Then the camera pans down and it's the same shot and the tractor has moved only a few feet!

agent999
01-25-2017, 04:13 PM
As much as I love the Straight Story, I have no real urge to watch it again anytime soon. I've had the Japanese Blu Ray sitting around unwatched for a couple of years. The Elephant Man, on the other hand, I can watch any time. I think it may be the most visually stunning film I've ever seen, it makes Victorian England look like Eraserhead. I know it's a cliche, but there is something magical about black and white scope movies.