PDA

View Full Version : The Dead Milkmen - The King In Yellow

Ian Jane
04-02-2011, 10:37 AM
OK, so initially I dismissed this album. I didn't like it the first few times I listened to it but you know what? It's growing on me quite a bit. It's considerably more mellow and a good bit less manic than a lot of their earlier material but the wit and the weird are still there.

We're going to see them next weekend (I won free tickets!) and it'll be interesting to see how they are live. I never got to see them in their prime (Niagara Falls was not a mecca of musical culture, sadly) and obviously they've aged a bit as we all have, but I'm really excited about the show and not just because it's being held in some Polish Hall that supposedly serves keilbasa and peroggies.

Somewhere I have a picture of me as a teenager wearing a shirt with this logo on it:

http://blogs.pitch.com/wayward/DeadMilkmen.gif

Roderick
04-02-2011, 10:50 AM
I also had that shirt. Saw them live in 88-89. They put on a good show back then. I still believe in swordfish.

Ian Jane
04-02-2011, 10:57 AM
I also still believe in swordfish. Keep the faith.

Check out this shirt!

Roderick
04-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Scary surf punks!

Ian Jane
04-02-2011, 11:11 AM
In hindsight it's kind of weird that there's a picture of us renting Army of Darkness. I don't even know who took that or why.

Dumb.

Ian Jane
04-10-2011, 09:20 AM
The show last night was great. I was 13 years old again as soon as they came on stage and I had a big dumb grin on my face the entire time. Bigger and dumber than usual, even. It was more or less a greatest hits set, which was to be expected, but they did play three tracks off of the new album. Rodney had a black cowboy hat and weird space goggles on for much of the set. I never realized before how tiny that guy is and he jumps around like a bug on stage, he's pretty funny to watch. The new bass player just kinda stood in the corner and didn't do much but they band were definitely having a lot of fun and not just going through the motions.

I'm really glad we went and would definitely go see them again. Older than dirt or not they were still a great live band.

Ian Jane
04-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Oh, also they covered Gary Numan's Cars. Paul Casey would have liked that.

There were two opening bands. The first was a three piece lead by a hippy chick in a parka who warbled when she sang. They had sort of a Jesus & Mary Chain/Sonic Youth thing going on except they weren't nearly as good or as interesting as either of those acts and at one point they did a Stevie Nicks cover, so I pretty much wrote them off after that even if they had a really good drum sound.

The second band were the Pioneers Of Seduction. I'd never heard of them but the crowd seemed into them. They did a pretty good job of sounding like The Pixies and closed with a good cover of Elvis Costello's Pump It Up. They had some good energy and were pretty tight. I don't know that I'd go out of my way to see them again but they were a pretty decent live act.

Roderick
04-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Glad to hear they still put on a good show. I might have to check them out again if they swing by my way.

Paul Casey
04-10-2011, 05:02 PM
I also still believe in swordfish. Keep the faith.

Check out this shirt!

Geddy Lee and Billy Corgan treat a fan to a shitty movie.

Nolando
04-11-2011, 11:44 AM
It's either Geddy Lee or that tall guy from Who's Line Is It Anyway?, for sure.

Mark Tolch
04-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Wait, is that you in a Dead Milkmen shirt, Dave in a Ned's Atomic Dustbin shirt...and then Sean in a Tragically Hip shirt??????

Paul Casey
04-11-2011, 02:07 PM
I'm enjoying the bag of CHEESOS - MATH AUTOMATIC in the bottom left.

Ian Jane
04-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Some cool pictures from the show here (http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2011/04/the_dead_milkme_1.html).

Ian Jane
04-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Wait, is that you in a Dead Milkmen shirt, Dave in a Ned's Atomic Dustbin shirt...and then Sean in a Tragically Hip shirt??????

Yes. Yes it is.

Ian Jane
09-12-2014, 02:41 PM
New album coming soon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a9b5JpddKQ#t=20

Ian Jane
09-12-2014, 02:41 PM
Tracklist:
1. Pretty Music For Pretty People
2. Big Words Make The Baby Jesus Cry
3. Welcome To Undertown
4. Now I Wanna Hold Your Dog
5. Make It Witchy
6. Mary Ann Cotton (The Poisoner'S Song)
7. I'Ve Got To Get My Numbers Up
8. Anthropology Days
9. Somewhere Over Antarctica
10. Dark Clouds Gather Over Middlemarch
11. Streetlamps - Walking To Work
12. The Sun Turns Our Patio Into A Lifeless Hell
13. The Great Boston Molasses Flood
14. All You Need Is Nothing
15. Ronald Reagan Killed The Black Dahlia
16. Hipster Beard
17. Sanitary Times

Roderick
09-12-2014, 02:59 PM
This will make for some interesting source material for season 2 of True Detective. The last album worked out great for season 1.

Ian Jane
11-07-2014, 04:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOAMgcx_fjI

Ian Jane
02-12-2015, 08:54 PM
West Coast tour dates:

04/17 Fortune Sound Club – Vancouver, BC
04/18 The Crocodile – Seattle, WA
04/19 Wonder Ballroom – Portland, OR
04/21 Harlows – Sacramento, CA
04/22 Slim’s – San Francisco, CA
04/24 Belly Up – San Diego, CA