PDA

View Full Version : Arrow Tinto Brass films being rereleased

Fundi
03-29-2017, 01:49 AM
I see that Arrow films are rereleasing some of Tinto Brass's films on blu ray in June, I was wondering if anyone knows if they will be in the right aspect ratio this time? I am pretty sure they were all uncut the first time they released them, but there were some problems with the aspect ratio I know, as they were supposed to be in 1.66:1 aspect ratio, but for some reason the films were scanned at 1.78:1 or 1.85:1 which caused some problems with framing. I hope this has been corrected with the new releases, if they did I'll probably pick them up, if not I'll probably pass on them, I'm not what you'd call a huge TInto Brass fan, although there are times I do like a giant Italian ass taking up my entire TV screen :blush:

Lalala76
03-29-2017, 01:55 AM
I jut think its a re-release but minus the dvd. They probably don't have the license for the dvd anymore or something like that. They have re-released a few things that went under the radar so to speak. Unless Arrow say otherwise the films and transfers will just be the same as before.

Paul L
03-29-2017, 04:45 AM
I'm not what you'd call a huge TInto Brass fan, although there are times I do like a giant Italian ass taking up my entire TV screen :blush:
Ha! :biggrin:

Of the two Arrow Blu-ray releases of Brass' films that I was asked to review formally about three years ago (CHEEKY and FRIVOLOUS LOLA), both were in an incorrect AR (as I recall the intended AR - 1.66:1 - of both is actually stated in the closing credits) but FRIVOLOUS LOLA fares the worst in terms of its compositions. CHEEKY looked adequate at 1.78:1, imo. In all other respects, though, they're pretty good releases.

The other Arrow/Brass releases were in a similarly compromised AR, as I recall, though I don't have as detailed notes on those.

Jason C
03-29-2017, 11:56 AM
Even with the incorrect AR those Arrow discs are still the best way to view those three films. The PQ on the DVDs is horrendous. Some proper Tinto Brass Blu-rays are near the top of my wish list but I'll take what I can get for now.

Alison Jane
03-29-2017, 12:18 PM
Does the incorrect aspect ratio stretchhhhhhhhhhh the butts? :haha:

One can only hope.

Lalala76
03-29-2017, 12:29 PM
I'm actually happy with the Arrow Brass films. They look much much better than the dvds and I really didn't notice anything really untoward with the compostions, regardless of the framing.

Paul L
03-29-2017, 04:32 PM
Even with the incorrect AR those Arrow discs are still the best way to view those three films. The PQ on the DVDs is horrendous.
Yes, the DVDs really don't handle the diffused light employed in many of Brass' films very well at all. The BDs are a big improvement.

Fundi
03-29-2017, 04:51 PM
sorry to hear the blu rays will not be remastered in the right aspect ratio, I'll just skip on them, there's plenty of other good stuff out there anyhow that is higher priority for me, I do not understand why some of the people who scan films, are obsessed with making the film fit the 1.78:1 aspect ratio of a TV 100% fill the screen. I've even seen them crop a 2.35:1 film to 1.78:1 on blu ray, which is as bad as cropping films to 1.33:1, or they will crop 1:33:1 films to 1.78 just to make it fill the 16:9 screen, it's the same mentality that was around during the VHS days, got to make this movie fill the screen, I thought people were smarter than that now. And it might not seem like a lot, but a 1.66 film cropped to 1.78 actually can make a huge difference sometimes.

Lalala76
04-13-2017, 02:08 PM
Not Arrow but CMV Laservison Germany

17709 17710

Fundi
04-14-2017, 01:29 PM
wow, I have to find out if these German blu rays have English language options, if so these might be possibly worth getting, if they are good transfers that is.

Lalala76
04-16-2017, 11:31 AM
These don't have English language options. The good news is that CULT EPICS plan to release more Brass.

Ian Jane
10-05-2018, 09:19 AM
Watched the Arrow Blu-ray of Frivolous Lola last night. Bought it months ago, shelved it and kinda forgot about it along with The Key and All Ladies Do it.

Man oh man, is the contrast ever blown out on Lola. The whole thing was way too bright. I know Arrow has done a lot of great work these last few years, but not with this one. YUCK.

Jason C
10-05-2018, 10:58 AM
How much longer are we going to have to wait for a decent release of MIRANDA? I need more Serena Grandi in my life.

agent999
10-05-2018, 11:14 AM
I think many of the Tinto Brass blus look hideous. I rewatched The Voyeur recently, that could look great with a decent transfer considering the mind boggling eye candy that it displays. No one else can film women like Tinto!

Jason C
10-05-2018, 12:47 PM
Hideous is a bit of an overstatement IMO. I know it was said on page one, but I'm so incredibly thankful for the mediocre Blu-rays we do have. While not perfect, the BD's are a revelation in comparison to the DVDs. I would be over the moon if MIRANDA got the same treatment as THE VOYEUR or LOLA.

Alison Jane
10-05-2018, 06:51 PM
Frivolous Lola really did look bad. Soooo white.

Dark Horse 77
10-05-2018, 09:14 PM
How much longer are we going to have to wait for a decent release of MIRANDA? I need more Serena Grandi in my life.

I'm with you, I'm with you.

Fundi
10-06-2018, 02:02 PM
I hope another company besides Cult Epics does the Miranda release, maybe someone like Synapse, they'd definitely get it right correct aspect ratio and make Serena's butt look like something we would all worship haha