PDA

View Full Version : RIP Johnathan Demme

Ian Jane
04-26-2017, 01:18 PM
73 years old seems too young to me. He made some legitimately great movies.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/jonathan-demme-dead-silence-of-the-lambs-1202399122/

"Oscar-winning director Jonathan Demme died Wednesday in New York of cancer complications, his publicist told Variety. He was 73 years old.

Demme is best known for directing “The Silence of the Lambs,” the 1991 horror-thriller that was a box office smash, a critical triumph, and introduced moviegoers to Anthony Hopkins’ Hannibal Lecter, a charismatic serial with a yen for Chianti, fava beans, and cannibalism. The story of a novice FBI analyst (Jodie Foster) on the trail of a murderer became only the third film in history to win Academy Awards in all the top five categories ( picture, actor, actress, director, and adapted screenplay), joining the ranks of “It Happened One Night” and “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.”"

Matt H.
04-26-2017, 04:58 PM
No fucking way! He made two of the best comedies of the 80s: SOMETHING WILD and MARRIED TO THE MOB.

RIP

Tom Clark
04-26-2017, 05:43 PM
No fucking way! He made two of the best comedies of the 80s: SOMETHING WILD and MARRIED TO THE MOB.

RIP
I used to watch Married to the Mob all the time back when Comedy Central would constantly air it. Something Wild is also great and even has Su Tissue from Suburban Lawns in a tiny role. Demme directed their video for "Gidget Goes to Hell". Along with Silence of the Lambs I think his best are his first three, Caged Heat, Crazy Mama and Fighting Mad. A great talent.

Matt H.
04-26-2017, 06:57 PM
I think MARRIED TO THE MOB is the film that made Michelle Pfeiffer a superstar; she's amazing in it.

Tom, if you haven't seen it, you should check out LAST EMBRACE. Awesome Roy Scheider performance in that one.

Keeth
04-26-2017, 07:06 PM
One of the mainstream news reports I watched this evening mentioned Demme's start with Roger Corman & showed the poster for Caged Heat.

moviesludge
04-27-2017, 02:46 AM
Just watched SOMETHING WILD for the first time on the 14th and now this.

SILENCE OF THE LAMBS is one of the movies I can watch any time it's on. I still haven't seen STOP MAKING SENSE but I gotta.

Randy G
04-27-2017, 11:17 PM
Citizen Band and Something Wild are great, funky movies. Have Swing Shift to watch.