PDA

View Full Version : A Good Man Is Hard To Find - McNaughton/Rooker Reunion

Tom Clark
05-11-2017, 07:18 PM
http://deadline.com/2017/05/michael-rooker-john-mcnaughton-new-movie-a-good-man-is-hard-to-find-1202089864/

Michael Rooker, of Guardians Of The Galaxy and The Walking Dead fame, is reuniting with his Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer director John McNaughton on a film adaptation of Flannery O’Connor’s A Good Man Is Hard To Find. The Passion Of The Christ scribe Benedict Fitzgerald wrote the screenplay.

The O’Conner story, a duel between The Grandmother and The Misfit, revisits familiar territory for Rooker and McNaughton; the author’s 1950s character The Misfit is cut from the same cloth as Henry, whom Rooker portrayed in McNaughton’s 1986 indie loosely based on real-life serial killer Henry Lee Lucas.

Randy G
05-12-2017, 05:58 AM
When I saw the title I was praying it would be an adaptation of O'Connor's brilliant pitch black short story.

Paul L
10-07-2017, 11:56 AM
I recently read the short story again for the first time in maybe 20 or 25 years, and I wonder how this can be expanded to feature length - so much of it is in the subtle suggestions (the grandmother's casual racism, her harkening for the days of plantations, the elliptical hints at The Misfit's past crimes, the killing of the family and the fate of the baby) that I find it almost impossible to imagine as a feature-length film. Don't get me wrong: I'm excited about it, but I wonder how McNaughton and Co are going to manage the project.