PDA

View Full Version : Vincent Price.... And you!

Ian Jane
04-28-2011, 10:08 AM
So not wanting to take the other thread too off topic, let's talk Vincent Price here.

My first exposure to him made a huge impact on me. My grandfather, a kindly old United Church minister who loved old horror and sci-fi movies and who helped warp my young mind, showed me The Fly when I was six or seven. It scared the crap out of me and I think because of that experience that movie still freaks me out even now that I round up to forty. It was one of those things that stuck with me.

Prior to that, or maybe around the same time, I was familiar with Price not by name but by his image. I vividly remember him freaking me out in The Hilarious House Of Frightenstein, which only get limited exposure outside of Canada but was really one of the coolest kids shows ever. More info here (http://www.frightenstein.com/) for those who want it. Sat. mornings I'd wake up and cower to this:

http://img.youtube.com/vi/BsaFDZfz8Lc/0.jpg

Igor also scared me as a kid, but that's a different discussion for a different time. At any rate, between The Fly and Frightenstein, I was pretty much convinced at a young age that there was no way Vincent Price wasn't the scariest dude alive.

Obviously as I got older and saw more of his work I developed a different appreciation for him and while he no longer makes me cry he can still be a pretty creepy dude. He's slimy and evil incarnate in Witchfinder General and he's great in the Corman AIP movies.

I especially like his work in Laura where he's cast against type. Good stuff there, shows some real dramatic chops as an actor in that part.

So yeah, Vincent Price. He's awesome.

Mike T
04-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Being part of the British Commonwealth here during my formative years, I really grew up on late night TV Hammer horror shows and afternoon TV matinees of the Carry On films and Hammer re-runs (back in the day when free-to-air TV didn't have to conform to only showing films in the PG bracket between morning programming and 8:30pm at night). But the lucky thing is, those afternoon matinees brought me Mr. Price in the form of the Dr. Phibes movies. He seemed ultra-creepy and quite sinister in those...and that commanding voice! It's only in my later years that I realised what great performance he gave in those films -- as without being able to speak his own lines he had to emote purely through facial expressions and those eyes.

Later on, an issue of British magazine Starburst brought Witchfinder General to my attention. As it had been the subject of numerous cuts and variant versions over the years, and it had Price in what many (the man included) called his best role I had to see it. Eventually I tracked the film down on VHS, and saw it - albeit in its BBFC theatrical version. But still, I loved it - and Vincent was at his best in the film. It's kind of equal to what Freddie Francis did with Peter Cushing in Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, in that Reeves took an established horror icon and put him in a role that was the antithesis of everything he'd played up till that film. Cushing was wonderfully vile in Frankenstein, and Price was at his most grotesque and unlikeable.

Then, the years rolled on and Mr. Price fell out of favour with me somewhat. Though I did enjoy him in Cry of the Banshee, another afternoon TV matinee favourite. Again, I've only ever seen that film with all the nudity and some of the violence trimmed from it to accommodate afternoon TV (though it was the British version of the film, as it had the Terry Gilliam credits). Remind me to buy the Optimum DVD. Then, after Kenny Everett's pretty awful big screen debut, Bloodbath at the House of Death, and Peter Walker's rather entertaining "old boys club" thriller The House of Long Shadows (for goodness sake, where is the DVD?), Vinnie faded from view again until Edward Scissorhands came along...

It was while I used to post on another (now) lesser, nameless forum that I realised - out of the blue - that I'd read about the films Price did for Corman and AIP...but never seen any of them! In a skive off moment from the whole Hong Kong blog thingy, I bought all the ones I could from the UK plus the Phibes films. All original MGM pressings, all new, and all for the bargain price of $4.50AUD each. Last night, I watched House of Usher (which the box lists as The Fall of the House of Usher, but the print says otherwise) and I'm hooked on dear old Vincent again. Funny how being an old-school, lifelong horror fan runs in cycles...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/whitedragon68/roderickusher.jpg

Two minor things struck be about House of Usher (outside of it being very good indeed): 1. I didn't realise Price was so tall, and 2. With all the product in Mark Damon's hair...why didn't his head catch fire at the end?

Ian Jane
04-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Ha, valid question, Mike.

As far as House Of Long Shadows goes, it's surprising it's not been released yet when so many of his other movies have been. That said, I've got a good quality bootleg of it if you need some help getting a copy.

Anyone else (besides Tolch) familiar with the Frightenstein stuff? It's such an odd product of its time.

The Phibes films are great. Haven't watched those in a long while but they left a pretty strong impression on me as well.

It was kinda neat to see Price 'resurrected' in comic book form a few years back. I bought a couple of them and if the stories were only so-so, the covers were great.

http://comicmegastore.com/images/bluewater-productions/vincent-price-presents-comic-24.jpg

http://comicmegastore.com/images/bluewater-productions/vincent-price-presents-comic-25.jpg

http://cinefantastiqueonline.com/wp-content/vincent-price-presents.jpg

Mark Tolch
04-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Just found out that the local library has a copy of the Sinister Image, Vincent Price disc, which i haven't seen in ages....since hanging out with Mr. Jane. It's not anything that i need to own, but i'd like to check it out again.

Ian Jane
04-28-2011, 01:25 PM
That's been OOP for a while, it's tough to find now.

Kevin Coed
04-29-2011, 01:36 AM
Ha, valid question, Mike.

As far as House Of Long Shadows goes, it's surprising it's not been released yet when so many of his other movies have been.

It's been released as one of those wretched 'on demand' DVD-Rs.

clicky (http://www.amazon.com/House-of-the-Long-Shadows/dp/B003B3O5I6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304055012&sr=8-1)

Here's an interview with Vincent at the National Film Theatre in London circa 1970 :-

An Audience With Vincent Price (https://rapidshare.com/files/425913573/An.Audience.with.Vincent.Price.mp3)

It's fantastic - give it a listen.

And here's a BBC dramatisation from a couple of years ago regarding the conflict between Vincent and Michael Reeves :-

Vincent Price And The Horror Of The English Blood Beast (https://rapidshare.com/files/368480094/Vincent_Price_and_The_Horror_of_The_English_Blood_ Beast.mp3)

Mike T
04-29-2011, 06:50 AM
And here's a BBC dramatisation...

Thanks for that Rich, that was a really first class radio play. Kept me glued to my PC for an hour. :)

Here's a link to that Cinefantastique article I mentioned; didn't realise it was online (http://cinefantastiqueonline.com/2007/09/witchfinder-general-1968/).

Kevin Coed
04-29-2011, 07:22 AM
Here's a link to that Cinefantastique article I mentioned; didn't realise it was online (http://cinefantastiqueonline.com/2007/09/witchfinder-general-1968/).

And thank you, in turn, for this. Had a quick skim of it and it looks excellent - will give it a proper read when the kids aren't vying for my attention.

Ian Jane
04-29-2011, 08:57 AM
Frightenstein intro!

http://youtu.be/XZKybIIyvG4

Mark Tolch
04-29-2011, 09:44 AM
I've told this story before, but i'll tell it again....a guy that i worked with, now retired, used to work as stage crew at a theatre. Price was playing one of the roles and was at the theatre for a week or so. The crew, every night after the performance, would hang out backstage and play cards, smoke cigars, and drink scotch. He told me that once Price found out that this was going on, a couple of days into the run, he would always come to the card games and sit and play with them, and that he was one of the nicest, classiest guys that you could ever hope to meet, with a lot of appreciation for the crew that was running the show for him. I like that story.

Nolando
04-29-2011, 11:50 AM
I like that story, too, and it doesn't surprise me in the slightest about him.

And I love Burton's Vincent as it seems to sum up my thoughts about him when I was a wee lad as well.

Ian Jane
04-29-2011, 11:59 AM
The Burton short struck a cord with me for the same reason. It really does a great job of tapping into that whole 'scared as a kid' sort of thing that leaves such an impression on us when we're younger. While I wish Edward Scissorhands hadn't been his last film, it's kinda awesome that before he went he got to work with a director who obviously had a wholel lot of love and respect for him as an actor, not just as a boogeyman.

Mark Tolch
04-29-2011, 01:28 PM
the first time i saw Vincent was at your buddy Dave's place when you came back to hamilton for Christmas that year.

Ian Jane
04-29-2011, 01:59 PM
I vaguely remember that. I'm surprised your ex didn't make you watch it before then.

Mark Tolch
04-29-2011, 06:32 PM
that was the first time she'd seen it as well. I don't think that we had a DVD player yet...actually, I know that we didn't. And that was on the new (then) Nightmare Before Christmas DVD.

Ian Jane
06-02-2011, 09:08 AM
Witchfinder General Blu-ray review here (http://www.mondo-digital.com/witchfinder.html).

Mike T
06-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Squirt... :wtf:

Ian Jane
06-02-2011, 12:40 PM
No kidding. Next pay period I'm definitely ordering that (and Cross of Iron).

Mike T
06-07-2011, 10:05 AM
All this talk of Vinnie has inspired me to get the ball rolling on some reviews of his Corman films for the (second) blog. Plus, I have a little birthday money coming my way next week -- so I'll be ordering that Witchfinder General Blu-ray the moment I get it. :)

Mike T
06-10-2011, 02:46 AM
One of my favourite Vincent Price moments...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQALLGsn-Fk

Zane C.
06-14-2011, 08:44 PM
I've told this story before, but i'll tell it again....a guy that i worked with, now retired, used to work as stage crew at a theatre. Price was playing one of the roles and was at the theatre for a week or so. The crew, every night after the performance, would hang out backstage and play cards, smoke cigars, and drink scotch. He told me that once Price found out that this was going on, a couple of days into the run, he would always come to the card games and sit and play with them, and that he was one of the nicest, classiest guys that you could ever hope to meet, with a lot of appreciation for the crew that was running the show for him. I like that story.

That is a great story. It's not like there's a ton of modern stars that would do anything like this. One of the few stars who was truly a class act. Price rules!

Mike T
06-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Has anyone got their Witchfinder General BD yet? If so, I have a question: does the disc have any subtitles on it? The reason I ask, and one of the reasons I am becoming less and less trusting of half-arsed online reviews written to curry favour with distributors, is that I've read half a dozen reviews of the disc online...and half say it has subs, where the others say it doesn't.

Some claim English SDH subs -- others say no subtitles of any kind at all. When I downloaded the disc profile to my DVD Profiler, it lists English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles in the specs. Either no-one online knows what they're reviewing, or the reviews were just slapped together without much thought beyond the main feature itself. I don't know if it's just me, but there's getting to be less and less review sites that you can trust for accurate material these days over arse-kissing PR spin... :drum:

Edit: Just got mine today -- no subs! But that's okay...lossless audio makes up for it in the clarity stakes. :)

Mike T
06-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Oh yeah...on the Witchfinder BD there's a little short snippet of Vincent Price's segment from an episode of Aspel & Company (Brit TV show); it's only short, at about ten minutes, but there's a little piece of magic there in Mike's interview with Price. Especially Price's amazingly straight-faced putdown at the end of the interview. It's a VERY funny ten minutes and something I'm sure all Price fans on the other side of the pond will love to see. Oddly enough, memory kicked in and I recalled some of the stories and jokes, so it must have played TV here in Oz in my teens.

Ian Jane
08-04-2011, 10:08 AM
So Last Man On Earth is out on Blu-ray - Yay! But according to DVD Beaver (http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare10/the_last_man_on_earth_.htm) the Blu-ray is pretty shitty - Boo!

Mike T
08-04-2011, 10:22 AM
I don't know...I'd say that there's markedly more detail in any of those screenshots they've provided than anything else on those pages.
But then, DVD Beaver isn't the pitstop for accurate info anymore that it used to claim to be, so I take anything they say these days with a very LARGE pinch of salt.
(ie: Eric Cotenas' assertion in a recent review that British spherical widescreen standard is 1.75 is completely and utterly WRONG; 1.85 is spherical standard globally)

Ian Jane
08-04-2011, 10:34 AM
It does look better (and they say so in their text) but if you look at those caps, you can't miss the edge enhancement. It's pretty bad.

Mike T
08-04-2011, 11:18 AM
Well, such are the trials and tribulations of a film that fell into the public domain in the US and is probably only available in shit quality source materials thanks to that...

Ian Jane
08-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Maybe some day MGM will give it a BD release from their vault elements. They did on DVD.

Mike T
08-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Or maybe it might get licenced out to someone else, ala Withfinder General and The Vampire Lovers (which, btw, has been listed at a RRP of $21.95AUD). But anyway...

Ian Jane
08-04-2011, 11:41 AM
We did get good versions of The Brain That Wouldn't Die and Night Of The Living Dead on Blu-ray despite their PD status, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. I could see Cultra, the guys who did The Terror, take it on and possibly doing a better job with it (though their transfers weren't perfect either).

Mike T
08-04-2011, 02:35 PM
All of the above is, of course, true. With such a huge population the US has the weight to get that kind of stuff out there. Which is great, as little islands like here and UK just don't have the consumer base to justify oddities. Mind you, every now and then we come up with some oddball releases, that have no immediate market and distributors must take a bath on.

Mark Tolch
08-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Love Last Man on Earth! I might have to get that blu just because.

Mark Tolch
08-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Huh. Until i read that there were audio synch issues. Fuck that.

MetalZ
08-12-2011, 09:35 PM
My intro to him was "Bloodbath At The House Of Death". For some reason it cracked me up as a kid. The only other exposure I had to him was MJ's "Thriller" during those years.

Ian Jane
08-13-2011, 09:45 AM
I think Thriller was probably a lot of people's first exposure to him, at least of a certain generation.

Ian Jane
08-13-2011, 09:46 AM
And for those not lucky enough to get Hilarious House of Frightenstein ;)

Ian Jane
08-17-2011, 12:22 PM
Out now through MGM's Limited Edition MOD/DVD-R program:

"Master of the World (1961) - In 1848, a fanatical inventor seeks to fly around the world and stop war from his flying airship (the "Albatross")...a cross between a zeppelin and a helicopter. Adapted from two Jules Verne novels-- "Master of the World" and "The Conqueror." Stars Vincent Price; Charles Bronson; Henry Hull; Mary Webster; David Frankham. Written by Richard Matheson. Directed by William Witney."

Mike T
09-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Y'know...having seen the majority of the Corman films now I'm at odds with the repeated assertion from genre scribes, over the decades, that Price was a "ham". I think if you look at any of his films with Corman that's the last label you could apply to any of his performances. Instead, there appears great depth in many of his roles - and I'd like to see some of our modern thespians learn and recount the long, sweeping passages of dialogue that Price did with such conviction and professionalism. Obviously, I have a newfound respect for the man and his work.

Ian Jane
09-22-2011, 12:06 PM
I never really thought of him as hammy, even if he does go over the top sometimes. I think he was just really into his work. Check out his rants and monologues from Master Of The World. The guy is 110% committed and he makes that character his own and in turn we completely buy him in the role. Price really was a great actor in my opinion. If he's of a different style than a lot of actors today, fine, but I don't think that takes away from his accomplishments at all. He'll always be a personal favorite, though as he was basically my 'gateway drug' to horror movies, I'll admit there's probably some bias there on my part when I say that.

Jamie Edwards
10-05-2011, 08:06 AM
I never really thought of him as hammy, even if he does go over the top sometimes. I think he was just really into his work. Check out his rants and monologues from Master Of The World. The guy is 110% committed and he makes that character his own and in turn we completely buy him in the role. Price really was a great actor in my opinion. If he's of a different style than a lot of actors today, fine, but I don't think that takes away from his accomplishments at all. He'll always be a personal favorite, though as he was basically my 'gateway drug' to horror movies, I'll admit there's probably some bias there on my part when I say that.
I think the same way. He was a great actor and is the 'Horror icon' to me. He's well known for those colorful, larger than life type roles, but he could do understated too (specially in the earlier stuff). I love the Phibes movies, Laura, Leave Her To Heaven, Dragonwyck, House On Haunted Hill, House Of Wax, Last Man On Earth, Theater Of Blood..

Also, one thing that I don't think gets mentioned a lot is that he was on the 'Hawaii episodes' of The Brady Bunch!

Ian Jane
10-05-2011, 09:01 AM
He was? That's odd. I haven't seen those in ages though, my memory is definitely foggy in the Brady Bunch dept.

Jamie Edwards
10-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Yeah, Greg/Bobby/Peter return the 'bad luck tiki' back to the ancient burial grounds/cave. Vincent is there and he takes them hostage, and he carries on conversations with a big tiki statue he calls Oliver!

Ian Jane
07-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Just because.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTwKortN5iE&feature=youtu.be

Mark Tolch
07-06-2012, 02:51 PM
So awesome.

Gary Banks
07-08-2012, 10:05 AM
I don't recall my first exposure to VP but it may have been an early 60's tv run of House On Haunted Hill. Of course he played Egghead on the Batman tv series which was cool. My first "at the movies" experience had to be the triple feature of The Raven, Tales Of Terror and Pit And The Pendulum.

Mark Tolch
07-08-2012, 05:54 PM
My first was Diary of a Madman, shown on TV. It scared the HELL out of me. I think that I was about 5 or 6 years old....

Ian Jane
07-09-2012, 09:00 AM
Of course he played Egghead on the Batman tv series which was cool.

I forgot all about this. I'm still certain I saw The Fly or Frightenstein first, but Batman would have been around the same time for me as it remember it being in re-runs constantly as a kid and also both my grandfather and my dad dug the show, so it was on in the house a lot growing up.

Ian Jane
08-08-2012, 09:57 AM
So.... House Of Long Shadows is apparantly (http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=201064) getting a Blu-ray release in Germany from Koch Media?

A comment in that same thread says there's a remastered UK release coming 9/17 with a commentary. All that shows up on Amazon.co.uk though is a DVD release with that release date.

Mark Tolch
08-09-2012, 04:05 PM
I've heard that LONG SHADOWS is terrible, but I don't know how it can be with all that talent. I remember seeing a trailer for it on TV, scared the crap outta me.

Ian Jane
08-13-2012, 09:27 AM
DVD Drive In has a review (http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/i-m/madmagician54.htm) up for the Sony MOD/DVD-R release of The Mad Magician.

Apronikoff
10-07-2012, 02:55 AM
Ok, most movies at least take a little while to grow on you, to convince you of their merits. On the other hand, I just watched THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES and it was love at first sight. Holy crap, that was great. I had to resist the urge to just flip the disc over and watch the sequel right away. But I'll probably do that tomorrow.

Ian Jane
10-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Watched that with two thirteen year old boys and a sixteen year old over the summer and was very surprised to see that they all enjoyed it as much as I did.

Robert W
10-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Phibes was a great roll fro Price.

Two other roles I thought Price was especially good in were Comedy of Terrors and Witchfinder General. But tbh, he never really gave a bad performance.

Apronikoff
10-08-2012, 01:02 PM
As predicted, watched DR. PHIBES RISES AGAIN last night. Surprisingly solid sequel. Not as good as the original, but it has an absolutely phenomenal ending and gets some great laughs out of transplanting the British cops into the Egyptian desert. Wish they could have gotten the original actress for Vulnavia back, as the one this time around wasn't as good in the part.

Someone needs to make a comic book of INDIANA JONES VS. DR. PHIBES.

Koukol
10-08-2012, 01:56 PM
I really enjoy Price's over the top performance in PIT AND THE PENDULUM.

Robert W
10-08-2012, 06:16 PM
As predicted, watched DR. PHIBES RISES AGAIN last night. Surprisingly solid sequel. Not as good as the original, but it has an absolutely phenomenal ending and gets some great laughs out of transplanting the British cops into the Egyptian desert. Wish they could have gotten the original actress for Vulnavia back, as the one this time around wasn't as good in the part.

Someone needs to make a comic book of INDIANA JONES VS. DR. PHIBES.

I thought Robert Quarry made a great "antagonist" for Price/Phibes. Was also really glad to see a "happy" ending for that film too.

Ian Jane
11-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Richard Doyle posted this on Facebook and it's too awesome not to pass along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIQj7_zVzxA&feature=share

Robert W
11-21-2012, 10:18 PM
Anyone see Confessions of an Opium Eater yet?

Quot
11-21-2012, 10:47 PM
Remember, we shouldn't be clouded by Price's latter-day reputation as a big ole ham (great as most of that work was). I think some folks mistake his overpowering charisma for scenery-chewing. Certainly there's no denying that some of the latter-day output was hammilicious and, by extension, past its sell-by date; however, there's also no denying the man's immense talent: look no further than his work in non-horror genres. As much of a fan as I am of his work in classics like Theater of Blood and the Phibes films, I probably appreciate his earlier work in comedies even more.

The man was AMAZING (amazingly funny) in fims like Champagne for Caesar (1950), His Kind of Woman (1951), and in his cameo in A Royal Scandal (1945) -- opposite Tallulah Bankhead.

If you didn't realize that Vincent Price excelled in his comedic performances, you need to see some of those films, because they feature some of his most accomplished work.

Newt Cox
11-22-2012, 03:48 AM
I think the first time I saw Mr Price was late one Halloween night when I was about 8. The local UHF channel showed NotLD68,colorized,and House on Haunted Hill. Something about Price's performance in House on Haunted Hill captured my imagination and I made it a point to see any film he was in.

Ian Jane
11-23-2012, 10:07 AM
Something about Price's performance in House on Haunted Hill captured my imagination and I made it a point to see any film he was in.

I saw that one at an early age as well and it definitely left an impression on me. He was kinda sinister and sneaky but at the same time very likeable, it made him very interesting to watch.

Ian Jane
12-09-2012, 05:26 PM

Ian Jane
05-27-2013, 09:31 AM
Happy Birthday Mr. Price!

I stole those from Facebook.

Mark Tolch
05-27-2013, 09:46 AM
I could go for some unwealthy Wellington right now.

Ian Jane
07-09-2013, 01:18 PM
There's a listing on Amazon.ca (http://www.amazon.ca/Fly-Bilingual-Blu-ray-Vincent-Price/dp/B00DTVD45A/ref=sr_1_7?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1373384055&sr=1-7&keywords=the+fly) for the 1958 version of The Fly coming out on Blu-ray via Fox on 9/10/13. No listing on the US Amazon yet but it's probably only a matter of time.

Wish they'd do all three movies in a boxed set like they did with the DVDs....

Ian Jane
07-12-2013, 09:16 AM
Here's something annoying - there's going to be a San Diego Comic Con exclusive Blu-ray version.

"SDCC exclusive package will only be available to those on the Comic-Con floor and also available during the show run on FoxConnect.com for ordering. A very limited number were created, so you'll have to act fast. Additionally, The Fly has never been on Blu-ray before and is slated to be officially released wide on September 10, so this allows fans to buy it in exclusive packaging two months before everyone else (and as a special collectible). "

Ian Jane
07-12-2013, 09:17 AM
And here's the cover art for the UK release.

Mark Tolch
07-12-2013, 10:11 AM
The comic-con art looks cool. Not making the trip for a blu-ray ,though.

I'm going to wait on this as well. You know, for the double-feature that they'll release eventually. I like The Fly II about as much as the first one.

Ian Jane
08-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Cover art and specs for the US/Canadian release:

Synopsis:
When a scientist (David Hedison) attempts to transfer matter through space, things go horrifically wrong and two grotesque man-fly hybrids are created. Now, with the head of a fly and a wing in place of one of his arms, the scientist desperately hopes that he, his wife (Patricia Owens) and his brother (Vincent Price) can capture the other mutant and reverse the experiment.

Special Features:
● Commentary with Actor David Hedison and Film Historian David Del Valle
● Biography: Vincent Price
● Fly Trap: Catching a Classic
● Fox Movietone News

The Fly Blu-ray
Street Date: September 10, 2013
Prebook Date: August 14, 2013
Screen Format: Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English 4.0 DTS HD-MA
Spanish DD 1.0
French DD 1.0
Subtitles: English SDH / Spanish
Total Run Time: 94 minutes
Closed Captioned: Yes

Ian Jane
08-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Update on the Scream set....

"Update on THE VINCENT PRICE COLLECTION: We had originally intended to include the U.S. version of WITCHFINDER GENERAL known as CONQUEROR WORM, but due to some unforeseen legal issues, we were told we would need to remove a scene from the film. Sine we felt the fans would have been unhappy that a scene was cut from the film, so we decided to drop the U.S. version of the film instead of editing the film. Sorry guys, we tried."

Horace Cordier
08-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Can someone - calling Paul J Lewis! - detail the differences between the CONQUERER WORM and WITCHFINDER GENERAL versions?

As far as I know it's the opening and closing Poe narration by Price and a different score. I'm mostly wondering if Odeon's UK Blu (which has the opening and closing USA bits as extras) has the main problem covered (I love the score on the UK version - can't imagine the USA one is better).

In other words, how pissed about this should I be?

Ian Jane
08-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Yes, those bits are on the Odeon disc.

Apronikoff
08-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Can someone - calling Paul J Lewis! - detail the differences between the CONQUERER WORM and WITCHFINDER GENERAL versions?

As far as I know it's the opening and closing Poe narration by Price and a different score. I'm mostly wondering if Odeon's UK Blu (which has the opening and closing USA bits as extras) has the main problem covered (I love the score on the UK version - can't imagine the USA one is better).

I thought the main difference between the two was the extra nudity that was filmed for a couple of the tavern scenes for the US release (against MR's wishes). Those scenes are also extras on the Odeon disc IIRC.

Stephen
08-19-2013, 04:52 PM

As far as I know it's the opening and closing Poe narration by Price and a different score.

There was no different score in the US version! It was just an American VHS release where the original score was replaced by synthesizer music.

I'm not sure if the extra nudity was in the US version, it was in most continental (European) versions and Japan.

Horace Cordier
08-19-2013, 11:12 PM
There was no different score in the US version! It was just an American VHS release where the original score was replaced by synthesizer music.

I'm not sure if the extra nudity was in the US version, it was in most continental (European) versions and Japan.

Good to know. Looks like the lack of the USA cut is no loss at all then.

Ian Jane
10-23-2013, 09:06 AM

Paul L
10-23-2013, 09:46 AM

Sorry, Horace. I didn't see this request until now.

Apronikoff has this covered. The US version has a different score (natch) and the opening and closing titles are different. That's about it. I believe the US version also included the violence that was cut by the BBFC from the cut of the film released to British cinemas (this was only restored to the UK version with the Redemption VHS released in, as I recall, 1996 - that tape also included the topless footage from the 'continental' edit of the film).

Stephen
10-24-2013, 01:36 PM
Apronikoff has this covered. The US version has a different score (natch) ...

No, that's not correct (as I mentinod in post #74). The US version has the same score, just the US-VHS had a different score (problem with music rights was the reason for this). I'm just pointing this out, because a lot of AIP films had really a different score for their US release (the Bava's etc.), but not in this case.

Paul L
10-24-2013, 05:01 PM
No, that's not correct (as I mentinod in post #74). The US version has the same score, just the US-VHS had a different score (problem with music rights was the reason for this). I'm just pointing this out, because a lot of AIP films had really a different score for their US release (the Bava's etc.), but not in this case.
Yes, that Kendall Schmidt score was first added for the US VHS release, wasn't it? Wasn't it also on the LaserDiscs released in the US (one of them a double bill with THE TOMB OF LIGEIA, as I recall)? Being a big fan of the film, I bought one of the US LaserDiscs, the Image Entertainment disc released in 1996 or 1997 (which was very pricey to import at the time), because I wanted to see the US version. That was my only exposure to the US version of the film.

... and, as I recall now, that LaserDisc featured the 'topless' (rather than 'covered') tavern scenes. Were they also included in the previous US VHS releases?

Mick Cantone
10-25-2013, 07:10 AM
And it's so hard to believe that it was twenty years ago today that Vincent Price passed away. I remember waking up and hearing the news on Good Day New York. Needless to say, I was a very bummed out and pissed off 14-year-old. Gone but never forgotten

Andrew Monroe
10-25-2013, 07:41 AM
The new Scream Factory set is certainly a fine way to remember him...I know some have said that THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER looks better on the import Blu-ray, but it sure looked spiffy to me. Price himself introduces 5 of the 6 films - from a 1982 series he did for Iowa Public Television, The Vincent Price Gothic Horrors. Hard to overstate how big a deal this set is...

Ian Jane
10-27-2013, 04:15 PM
The Bat getting an HD restoration.

Press release!

Mystery, murder, and mayhem take flight in The Bat – restored and in HD for the first time ever – debuting on Turner Classic Movies October 24 and DVD November 12 from Film Chest Media Group. Featuring an all-star cast, this suspenseful cult favorite from 1959 will keep you on the edge of your seat!

In The Bat, mystery writer Cornelia van Gorder (Agnes Moorehead - TV’s "Bewitched"; Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte; Citizen Kane) resides in a town terrorized by a mysterious murderer known only as “The Bat,” said to be a man with no face who kills women at night by ripping out their throats with steel claws.

Breaking into Cornelia’s countryside home one night, he releases an actual bat, which bites her maid Lizzy (Lenita Lane - Compliments of the Season, While America Sleeps), sending her into a panic that she has caught “the rabies.” Cornelia calls her doctor, Malcolm Wells (Vincent Price - Edward Scissorhands, House on Haunted Hill, TV’s "Batman"), who happens to be conducting research on bats.

Little does Cornelia know that the good doctor has an ulterior motive for coming to her assistance—a thief who has stolen $1 million in bank securities has confided in Wells, leading him to believe the stash is hidden within Cornelia’s home. After dispatching with the thief, Wells plots to claim the missing treasure.

When additional break-ins and murders by The Bat continue, local police chief Andy Anderson (Gavin Gordon - Bride of Frankenstein, The Scarlet Empress) comes to the house with suspicions of both Wells and Cornelia’s butler Warner (John Sutton - Jane Eyre, Return of the Fly).

Also featuring Darla Hood (of the Little Rascals’ Our Gang in her final film appearance), The Bat, with its hand-wringing twists and turns, will leave you guessing until the astonishing reveal at the end. A non-stop thriller sure to get your blood pumping!

The Bat, presented in widescreen (16x9) and mono sound, will enjoy a Turner Classic Movies premiere October 24th prior to its DVD release.

Richard--W
10-27-2013, 05:54 PM
It will be nice to see this old chestnut in decent quality after only being available in muddy public domain prints. Thoughtful of Film Chest Media to use the original poster art.

Gary Banks
10-28-2013, 10:43 AM
I really enjoy this film despite all of the critical brickbats (no pun intended) tossed at it. Hopefully it is a step up from the old Goodtimes dvd.

Ian Jane
11-11-2013, 10:56 AM
The UK steelbook for The Fly is kinda awesome....

Mark Tolch
11-11-2013, 11:10 AM
That cover looked like a giant butt at first.

Mark Tolch
11-11-2013, 11:11 AM
Butt in fishnets and a thong.

Paul L
11-11-2013, 01:35 PM
I only bought THE FLY a month or so ago, otherwise I would have purchased this SB. Not a huge fan of SBs generally, but the artwork on that one is kinda nice.

Ian Jane
12-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Supposedly this image was taken for the 1964 Sears Catalogue.

Andrew Monroe
12-23-2013, 03:08 PM
Great picture, Ian. You don't see those big ass ornaments like that much these days. I bet that red upright package bottom left is a bottle of scotch...

Ian Jane
01-27-2014, 11:05 AM

Mark Tolch
01-27-2014, 11:48 AM
The Vincent Price Art Museum is open again.

http://blogs.artinfo.com/lacmonfire/2011/06/02/vincent-price-art-museum-reopens/

Ian Jane
03-05-2014, 10:30 AM

Andrew Monroe
03-05-2014, 10:59 AM
I had that and used it at least a few times...I still have quite a few of my childhood toys/games/gadgets etc. but sadly that one is lost to the sands of time. Don't even remember what happened to it.

Thank god I still have stuff like:

Skittle-Bowl (by Aurora!)
Six Million Dollar Man game
Bas-ket (Real basketball in miniature!) (translation - Ping-Pong ball that rolls around the little court)
G.I. Joe HQ, a couple jeeps and footlockers and lots of accessories.

Ian Jane
03-05-2014, 11:05 AM
Six Million Dollar Man game

I had that!

Ian Jane
09-19-2014, 09:00 AM
Release Date: 24th November 2014
Format: Blu-ray
Starring: Vincent Price, Barbara Steele, Boris Karloff, Peter Lorre, Lon Chaney Jr, Jack Nicholson
Directed by:Roger Corman

Synopsis: From the Merchant of Menace, Vincent Price, and the King of the Bs, Roger Corman, come six Gothic tales inspired by the pen of Edgar Allan Poe.

In The Fall of the House of Usher, a young man learns of a family curse that threatens his happiness with his bride-to-be. In Pit and the Pendulum, a brother investigates the untimely death of sister, played by Barbara Steele. Tales of Terror adapts three Poe classics, Morella, The Black Cat and The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar, each starring a horror icon. The Raven is a comic take on the famous poem concerning three rival magicians. In The Haunted Palace, a newcomer in a New England town is suspected of being a warlock. And in The Tomb of Ligeia, filmed in Norfolk and at Stonehenge, a widower’s upcoming marriage plans are thwarted by his dead first wife.

The six films boast a remarkable cast list: not just Price and Steele (Black Sunday), but also Boris Karloff (Frankenstein), Peter Lorre (M, The Beast with Five Fingers), Lon Chaney Jr (The Wolf Man, Spider Baby), Basil Rathbone (The Black Cat) and a very young Jack Nicholson. Adapted for the screen by Richard Matheson (The Twilight Zone, I Am Legend) and Robert Towne (Chinatown), these Six Gothic Tales now rank as classic examples of sixties horror cinema.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
- LIMITED EDITION BOXED-SET (2000 COPIES)
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of all six features, presented across six Blu-rays
- Original uncompressed mono PCM Audio for all films
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for all films
- Numerous new and archive commentaries, interviews and featurettes for each film!
- The Directors: Roger Corman, an hour-long documentary on the filmmaker featuring contributions from James Cameron, Martin Scorsese and Ron Howard
- Original Theatrical Trailers
- Reversible sleeves featuring original and newly commissioned artwork for all six films
- Limited edition 200-page collector’s book containing new writing on all films plus reprints and reproductions to be announced soon!

DETAILS:
Region: B
Rating: 12
Cat No: FCD1025
Duration: 507 mins
Language: English
Subtitles: English SDH
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Audio: 2.0 Mono
Colour

Ian Jane
09-19-2014, 09:04 AM
Release Date: 10th November 2014
Starring: Vincent Price, Robert Quarry, Peter Cushing, Fiona Lewis, Beryl Reid, John Thaw
Directed by: Robert Fuest
Synopsis:The abominable Dr. Phibes is back – and still looking to resurrect his beloved wife, Victoria. His quest takes him to Egypt in search of a Pharaoh’s tomb and the Rivers of Life that will bring her back to him.
The Egyptian setting provides Dr. Phibes Rises Again with an air of adventure – the film paying affectionate if slightly camp homage to the cliffhanger serials of the 1930s and the ripping yarns of H. Rider Haggard.
Boasting a starrier cast than the original film, Dr. Phibes Rises Again sees Vincent Price joined by an impressive roster of familiar faces, including fellow horror icon Peter Cushing (The Curse of Frankenstein, Dracula), Robert Quarry (Count Yorga, Vampire), Fiona Lewis (The Fury), Beryl Reid (Psychomania) and a young John Thaw.
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation transferred from original film elements by MGM
- Original uncompressed 1.0 Mono PCM Audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio commentary by critic and author Tim Lucas
- Daughter of Phibes – Victoria Price discusses Vincent Price’s career
- The Doctor Will See You Now – an interview with Vincent Price’s biographer, David Del Valle
- Theatrical Trailer
- Reversible sleeve featuring alternate original artworks
- Collector’s booklet featuring an interview with Tim Burton conducted by Constantine Nasr, illustrated with original archive posters and stills
DETAILS:
Rating: 15
Cat No: FCD1022
Duration: 89 mins
Audio: 1.0 Mono
Colour

Ian Jane
09-19-2014, 09:04 AM
Release Date: 10th November 2014
Starring: Vincent Price, Joseph Cotten, Hugh Griffith, Terry-Thomas, Virginia North
Directed by: Robert Fuest

Synopsis: “Nine killed her, nine shall die, nine eternities in doom!”
Horror legend Vincent Price (The Fall of the House of Usher, Theatre of Blood) is Dr. Phibes, former musician, current murderer. Seeking revenge from the medical staff that left his wife for dead, he sets about knocking them off one-by-one in a series of elaborate murders based upon a Ten Plagues of Egypt. Death by bats, by boils, by blood and more await the nurse and surgeons who failed to save the life of the beloved Victoria Regina Phibes!
A camp classic, The Abominable Dr. Phibes sets itself apart from the seventies horror crowd with its knowing humour and art deco sets, and also prefigures the Saw movies with its increasingly fiendish set of murder devices.

- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation transferred from original film elements by MGM
- Original uncompressed 1.0 Mono PCM Audio
- Audio commentary by director Robert Fuest
- Audio commentary by the creator of Dr. Phibes, William Goldstein
- Dr. Phibes and the Gentlemen – The League of Gentlemen fondly recall a British horror classic
- Theatrical Trailer
- Reversible sleeve featuring alternate original artworks
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Julian Upton and the on-set reminiscences of Caroline Munro, illustrated with original archive posters and stills

DETAILS:
Cat No: FCD1021
Duration: 94 mins
Audio: 1.0 Mono
Colour

Ian Jane
09-23-2014, 02:02 PM
Reversible cover art.

Ian Jane
10-30-2014, 02:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woxf-d-0rlA

Ian Jane
10-31-2014, 12:46 PM

Ian Jane
10-31-2014, 12:50 PM

Ian Jane
10-31-2014, 01:05 PM

Ian Jane
10-31-2014, 01:06 PM

Ian Jane
11-11-2014, 11:09 AM

Ian Jane
11-25-2014, 10:14 AM
The Comedy of Terrors. Pre-order here: http://bit.ly/1C9msfB

Release Date: 16th February 2015
Format: Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD
Starring: Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff
Director: Jacques Tourneur

Synopsis: From Jacques Tourneur, director of numerous horror classics including Cat People, I Walked with a Zombie and Night of the Demon, comes The Comedy of Terrors – a gleefully macabre tale which brings together genre greats Vincent Price, Peter Lorre and Boris Karloff.
Price plays Waldo Trumbull, a perpetually inebriated, down-on-his-luck undertaker who has struck on an interesting way to boost business – by hastening the deaths of those whom he buries. When landlord Mr. Black (Basil Rathbone) threatens to put him out on the street for falling behind with the rent, Trumbull, together with his reluctant and bumbling assistant Felix Gillie (Lorre), hatches an ill-advised plan to “kill two birds with one stone”, so to speak…

The penultimate directorial effort from Tourneur, The Comedy of Terrors bears many of the hallmarks of the master filmmaker’s earlier works, whilst adding a healthy dash of humour to the proceedings. Careful – you might just die laughing!

- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of the feature, transferred from original film elements by MGM
- Original Mono 2.0 audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
- Audio Commentary with Price historian David Del Valle
Extensive archive interview with Vincent Price
- Whispering in Distant Chambers: The Nightfall of Jacques Tourneur – a specially-commissioned video essay by David Cairns, which charts the career of director Tourneur
- Richard Matheson Storyteller – an archive featurette on the Comedy of Terrors writer
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Paul Shipper
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Chris Fujiwara, author of Jacques Tourneur: The Cinema of Nightfall, illustrated with original archive stills and posters.

Region: B/2
Cat No: FCD1041
Duration: 83 mins
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Audio: 2.0 Mono
Colour

Ian Jane
11-25-2014, 10:15 AM
The Haunted Palace. Pre-order here: http://bit.ly/1C9s6P0

Release Date: 23rd February 2015
Starring: Vincent Price, Debra Paget, Lon Chaney Jr.
Directed by: Roger Corman

Synopsis: ONE BECOMES ACCUSTOMED TO THE DARKNESS…
Although recognised as part of Roger Corman’s Edgar Allan Poe cycle (its title comes from a Poe poem), The Haunted Palace has a much more significant place in film history for being the first high-profile adaptation of the work of H.P. Lovecraft, in this case his novella The Case of Charles Dexter Ward.

Ward is one of two characters played by Vincent Price, the other being Ward’s great-great-grandfather Joseph Curwen, burned as a warlock 110 years before. When Ward returns to the village of Arkham to reclaim the family mansion, his striking resemblance to his ancestor is just the first of many macabre events that proceed to unfold, including the screen debut of Lovecraft’s legendary Necronomicon.

As before, Corman and his team worked wonders with their modest budget, with Daniel Haller’s sets amongst the most elaborate in all the Poe cycle, enhanced by genuinely creepy moments such as the crowd of deformed villagers still living under Curwen’s curse.

- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the feature, transferred from original film elements
by MGM
- Original uncompressed Mono PCM Audio
- Optional isolated music and effects track
- Audio commentary by Vincent Price’s biographer David Del Valle and writer Derek Botelho
- Kim Newman on H.P. Lovecraft, a look at the relationship between Lovecraft and the cinema, and the challenges of adapting his work
- A Change of Poe, an interview with Roger Corman
- Stills and Poster Gallery
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matthew Griffin
- Collector’s booklet containing new writing on the film by Roger Luckhurst, illustrated with original archive stills

Cat No: FCD1028
Duration: 87 mins
Audio: 1.0 mono
Colour

Ian Jane
11-25-2014, 10:16 AM
And last up… The Tomb of Ligeia! Order it here: http://bit.ly/1C9tCAv

Release Date: 23rd February 2015
Starring: Vincent Price, Elizabeth Shepherd, John Westbrook

Synopsis: THE EYES, THEY CONFOUND ME!

For the last of his cycle of Edgar Allan Poe adaptations, Roger Corman asked screenwriter Robert Towne (Chinatown) to turn Poe’s story ‘Ligeia’ into another vehicle for Vincent Price, who once again plays a man so haunted by his past that he is unable to function in the present.

In this case the past comes in the form of his now-deceased first wife Ligeia, who casts a long shadow over an ill-advised second marriage to a woman who resembles her (Elizabeth Shepherd), particularly when he becomes convinced that Ligeia’s spirit is returning to him in the form of a black cat. But is this actually a delusion on his part?

Although the doom-laden narrative and Price’s tormented performance had become well established ingredients in the Corman Poe cycle, the film looks strikingly different from the earlier films, with much of it taking place in broad daylight, and shot in actual English locations (notably Stonehenge and Norfolk’s Castle Acre Priory) instead of
Hollywood sets.

- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the feature, transferred from original film elements by MGM
- Optional isolated music and effects track
- Audio commentary by director and producer Roger Corman
- Audio commentary by star Elizabeth Shepherd
- All-new interviews with crew members including cowriter/production assistant Paul Mayersberg, first assistant director David Tringham, clapper loader Bob Jordan and composer Kenneth V. Jones
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by the Twins of Evil
- Collector’s booklet containing new writing by Julian Upton, illustrated with original production stills.

Cat No: FCD1029
Duration: 82 mins
Audio: 1.0 mono
Colour

Ian Jane
11-30-2014, 02:04 PM
Some nice pictures of the Arrow boxed set posted at their tumblr page here (http://arrowvideo.tumblr.com/post/103728718719/christmas-has-come-early-as-vincent-price-in-six).

Ian Jane
12-04-2014, 01:46 PM
From Kino's Twitter feed:

Coming on DVD and Blu-ray in April: Roger Corman's TALES OF TERROR, starring Vincent Price and Peter Lorre:

John Bernhard
12-04-2014, 03:48 PM
Not sure where these are from exactly but they are cool shots.

http://i.imgur.com/oJElxAi.png

http://i.imgur.com/zyJh73X.png

Stephen
12-05-2014, 09:49 AM
Great! I think these are from "Up in Central Park" (1948).

Regarding Kino doing "Tales of Terror": I hope they get Corman talking about the deleted "after death" scene with Vincent from the Waldemar story. I was a bit disappionted that Arrow didn't do a featurette with Corman on that film.

Ian Jane
12-19-2014, 09:25 AM
Coming to the UK- The Raven. Pre-order your copy here: http://bit.ly/1wFNZkC

Release Date: 9th March 2015
Starring: Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff

Synopsis: ONCE UPON A MIDNIGHT DREARY…
Although The Raven is one of Edgar Allan Poe’s most famous poems, the lack of a narrative hook initially stumped screenwriting legend Richard Matheson (I Am Legend, The Incredible Shrinking Man, Duel) until he realised that the idea of adapting the poem was so ridiculous that he might as well make it a comedy.

And what a comedy! Vincent Price, Peter Lorre and Boris Karloff play rival magicians whose paths cross when Dr Craven (Price) hears Dr Bedlo tap-tap-tapping on his windowpane. For Bedlo has been turned into a raven by Dr Scarabus (Karloff), and when transformed back into his old self he naturally vows revenge. But the scripted rivalry is as nothing compared to three great horror masters relentlessly upstaging each other – even a young Jack Nicholson, as Bedlo’s son, barely gets a look-in.

If there’s not much authentic Poe in these sorcery shenanigans, the sets and cinematography more than compensate: director Roger Corman was by then a master of conjuring Gothic atmosphere on a very modest budget.

- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the feature, transferred from original film elements by MGM
- Peter Lorre: The Double Face, Harun Farocki’s 1984 documentary, subtitled in English for the first time
- Richard Matheson: Storyteller, an interview with the legendary novelist and screenwriter
- Corman’s Comedy of Poe, an interview with Roger Corman about making The Raven
- The Trick, a short film about rival magicians by Rob Green (The Bunker)
- Promotional Record
- Stills and Poster Gallery
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Vladimir Zimakov
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Vic Pratt and Rob Green, illustrated with original stills and artwork

Rating: PG
Cat No: FCD1031
Duration: 86 mins
Audio: 1.0 Mono PCM
Colour

Ian Jane
12-19-2014, 09:26 AM
Coming to the UK- Tales of Terror Pre-order your copy here: http://bit.ly/1wFKw5C

Release Date: 9th March 2015
Starring: Vincent Price, Maggie Pierce, Leona Gage

Synopsis: A TRILOGY OF SHOCK AND TERROR!

In his earlier Edgar Allan Poe films, Roger Corman took short stories by the great Gothic master and expanded them into full-length features. Here, by contrast, the stories stay short, the only other thing they have in common being the participation of Vincent Price.

In ‘Morella’, Price plays a tormented man forced to confront a dark family secret when his long-estranged daughter tracks him down. In ‘The Black Cat’, he’s the rakish lover of the wife of Peter Lorre, who naturally plots a deadly revenge. And in the title role of ‘The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar’, he tries to relieve chronic pain by asking Basil Rathbone to hypnotise him, something that leaves poor Valdemar hovering on the border between the dead and the living.

Corman’s previous Poe films were played completely straight, and parts of Tales of Terror are as authentically creepy as any of them. But he also stirred comedy into the Poe brew for the first time, particularly in the scenes between Price and Lorre.

- The Directors: Roger Corman, an hour-long documentary on the filmmaker featuring contributions from James Cameron, Martin Scorsese and Ron Howard
- Cats in Horror Films, critic and novelist Anne Billson discusses the contributions of our feline friends to genre cinema
- The Black Cat, a 1993 short film adaptation of Poe’s classic tale directed by Rob Green (The Bunker)
- Kim Newman on Edgar Allan Poe, the novelist and critic looks at Poe’s influence on the big screen
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Dan Mumford
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Roger Clark and Rob Green, illustrated with original stills and artwork

DETAILS:
Cat No: FCD1030
Duration: 89 mins
Audio: 1.0 Mono PCM
Colour

Ian Jane
12-23-2014, 03:27 PM
From Kino's Twitter feed: Coming on DVD and Blu-ray in April: Roger Corman's TALES OF TERROR, starring Vincent Price and Peter Lorre: 11789 Extras! Release date: April 14 New on-camera Interview with Producer/Director Roger Corman New Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tim Lucas New Audio Commentary by Vincent Price Historian David Del Valle & Actor David Frankham Original Theatrical Trailer and maybe more

Stephen
01-02-2015, 08:52 AM
Extras! Release date: April 14 New on-camera Interview with Producer/Director Roger Corman New Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tim Lucas New Audio Commentary by Vincent Price Historian David Del Valle & Actor David Frankham Original Theatrical Trailer and maybe more

Sounds great! I already have the film in HD (Arrow's Poe box), but reading this I'm convinced I need this release too!

Ian Jane
01-13-2015, 04:14 PM
From Kino in April...

Ian Jane
01-21-2015, 03:09 PM
Final extras for the Kino Tales of Terror disc:

TALES OF TERROR (DVD & BLU-RAY)
• New Interview with Producer/Director Roger Corman
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian, Tim Lucas
• Audio Commentary by Vincent Price Historian, David Del Valle & Actor David Frankham
• "Trailers From Hell" by Roger Corman
• Original Theatrical Trailer

Ian Jane
02-07-2015, 11:54 AM
From the Kino Lorber Studio Classics FB page:

"COMING IN JULY ON BLU-RAY & DVD! - BRAND NEW 2015 HD MASTER!

MADHOUSE (1974) STARRING "HORROR LEGENDS" VINCENT PRICE, PETER CUSHING, ROBERT QUARRY and ADRIENNE CORRI - DIRECTED BY JIM CLARK - BASED ON THE ANGUS HALL NOVEL "DEVILDAY"."

Ian Jane
02-11-2015, 01:58 PM
From Kino...

"COMING IN JULY - ONLY ON BLU-RAY! - BRAND NEW 2015 HD MASTER!

HOUSE OF 1,000 DOLLS (1967) Starring VINCENT PRICE, MARTHA HYER, GEORGE NADER and MARIA ROHM - Directed by JEREMY SUMMERS."

Stephen
02-12-2015, 08:47 AM
Wow! I never expected that, but I need this guilty pleasure in HD!

Christian Bates-Hardy
02-12-2015, 12:36 PM
Madhouse! My wife got me the Arrow UK Blu of Theatre of Blood (which I'd never seen before) for Christmas and it's now one of my favorite Price films.

Paul L
02-12-2015, 06:06 PM
Madhouse! My wife got me the Arrow UK Blu of Theatre of Blood (which I'd never seen before) for Christmas and it's now one of my favorite Price films.
Good stuff! It's a cracking film :)

Christian Bates-Hardy
02-12-2015, 06:25 PM
Good stuff! It's a cracking film :)

It reminded me a bit of The Abominable Dr. Phibes, except Vincent seems to be having a bit more fun hamming it up with all the Shakespearean dialogue, and the plot is a whole lot less surreal. Besides, who can deny the power of Vincent Price's disco fro?

John Bernhard
02-24-2015, 06:26 PM
One of the best casts VP ever got to work with as well also helps put it way up over many in his filmography for me.

DVDSavant today linked to a great 75 min lecture Mr. Price gave circa 1970...a fun listen :)
It's in the form a career overview & Price shows he could have done stand up
( thanks to Gary Teetzel & Ted Newsom )

https://soundcloud.com/darcy-more/vincent-price-lecture

Ian Jane
02-25-2015, 11:58 AM
Very cool, thanks for posting that, John.

Ian Jane
02-25-2015, 02:29 PM
Kino just announced they will release War Gods Of The Deep for Blu/DVD coming this August.

Gary Banks
02-25-2015, 08:28 PM
Kino just announced they will release War Gods Of The Deep for Blu/DVD coming this August.

The only way I'm buying this is if they kill that fuckin' chicken.:pyoo:

Ian Jane
02-25-2015, 09:00 PM
I don't think they'll do that but it will have a new transfer and an interview with Tab Hunter!

C.D. Workman
03-02-2015, 01:10 AM
WAR GODS OF THE DEEP would be so much more fun if they'd lost the twenty minutes of silent underwater footage in which virtually nothing happens.

Ian Jane
04-10-2015, 09:52 AM
Coming from Kino in July...

Barry M
04-10-2015, 11:13 AM
THE DEVIL'S TRIANGLE (VSDirect download at the moment) is narrated by Price.

http://vinegarsyndrome.com/direct/

Plus King Crimson snippet.

Ian Jane
04-12-2015, 10:33 AM

Ian Jane
04-25-2015, 01:20 PM
Extras for the Kino releases announced:

MADHOUSE
• Audio Commentary with Film Historian David Del Valle
• Brand New Documentary by Daniel Griffith

HOUSE OF 1,000 DOLLS
• Audio Commentary with Film Historian David Del Valle and Filmmaker David DeCoteau

Stephen
04-26-2015, 10:05 AM
MADHOUSE
• Audio Commentary with Film Historian David Del Valle
• Brand New Documentary by Daniel Griffith

Maybe this can shed some light on how the editing of the film was changed by AIP. I remember reading director Jim Clark was very disappointed with all the changes AIP made and he's probably right as the editing is somewhat confusing.

Ian Jane
04-29-2015, 01:17 PM
TWICE TOLD TALES ('63) w/Vincent Price is coming to Blu-ray/DVD in time for Halloween, from a new HD master!

Ian Jane
05-21-2015, 10:31 AM
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/1467491_881239248599650_4753100568763529405_n.jpg? oh=c8d2a00e3ec6a726891d2f80d65d8be3&oe=55CA4617

War-Gods of the Deep
• Interview with Star Tab Hunter

Ian Jane
05-27-2015, 09:55 AM
Price would have been 104 today.

Ian Jane
05-28-2015, 09:28 AM
From Kino's FB page:

"Coming in October! On Blu-ray and DVD! From a Brand New 2015 HD Master! Edgar Allan Poe's THE OBLONG BOX (1969) Starring Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, Rupert Davies and Sally Geeson. Produced and Directed by Gordon Hessler."

Ian Jane
06-10-2015, 09:07 AM
Coming Soon From Kino Lorber Studio Classics (https://www.facebook.com/KinoLorberStudioClassics) - Both DR. GOLDFOOT Films - To Be Released Separately - Only on Blu-ray!

DR. GOLDFOOT AND THE BIKINI MACHINE (1965) Starring Vincent Price, Frankie Avalon, Dwayne Hickman, Susan Hart, Fred Clark and Annette Funicello - Directed by Norman Taurog.

DR. GOLDFOOT AND THE GIRL BOMBS (1966) Starring Vincent Price, Fabian, Franco Franchi, Ciccio Ingrassia and Laura Antonelli - Directed by Mario Bava.

Mark Tolch
06-10-2015, 10:03 AM
I'm sure that the completists will be happy, but this would be a much easier sale for me if it were a double feature. These are not good films.

Gary Banks
06-10-2015, 07:32 PM
I'm sure that the completists will be happy, but this would be a much easier sale for me if it were a double feature. These are not good films.

You're being way too kind.

Mark Tolch
06-10-2015, 07:56 PM
You're being way too kind.

Ha, it IS Vincent, so I do have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Ian Jane
06-23-2015, 04:24 PM

Ian Jane
07-29-2015, 03:26 PM
10/20/2015 release from Kino. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012BUQOHE/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B012BUQOHE&linkCode=as2&tag=cognitrespon-20&linkId=RFEGO7BAYCHJHQI4)

Newly Remastered in HD! Coffins, blood and live corpses! A gasping, gnawing, heart stopping evil lies buried in The Oblong Box. Do you dare unearth its wrath? Vincent Price (Madhouse, Twice Told Tales) and Christopher Lee (The Crimson Cult, House of the Long Shadows) are at their terrifying best as a plantation owner with a shocking family secret and a wealthy doctor desperate to continue his morbid experiments on human flesh in this Edgar Allan Poe s (Tales of Terror) classic tale of the living dead! Price returns to his English manor from an African trip with his mad, mutilated brother and buries his chained up sibling alive. When the body is exhumed, the madman somehow still alive begins a systematic search for vengeance. Co-written, produced and directed by horror great, Gordon Hessler (Cry of the Banshee, Scream and Scream Again) with top-notch cinematography by John Coquillon (Straw Dogs, Cross of Iron).

Special Features: Audio Commentary by Film Historian Steve Haberman | Edgar Allan Poe's Annabel Lee (1969): Narrated by Vincent Price | Trailers

Ian Jane
08-07-2015, 01:10 PM
DR. GOLDFOOT AND THE GIRL BOMBS - cover art

Special Features:
• Audio Commentary with Film Historian David Del Valle of SinisterImage.com and David DeCoteau of RapidHeart.TV
• "Black Sabbath: Trailers From Hell" with Mick Garris
• Animated Montage of the "Girl Bombs" Stills
• Vincent Price Trailer Gallery

Ian Jane
08-07-2015, 01:10 PM
DR. GOLDFOOT AND THE BIKINI MACHINE - cover art

Special Features:
• Audio Commentary with Film Historian David Del Valle of SinisterImage.com and David DeCoteau of RapidHeart.TV
• Animated Montage of the "Bikini Bots" Stills
• Vincent Price Trailer Gallery

Christian Bates-Hardy
08-12-2015, 06:23 PM
I wonder if Scream Factory is going to announce another Vincent Price Collection this year?

Stephen
08-12-2015, 08:10 PM
Good question, but I think there aren't enough of his genre films left to do so (even if you include the Columbia titles THE MAD MAGICIAN and THE TINGLER, which I assume aren't availabe to Shout).

Mark Tolch
08-13-2015, 12:09 AM
Id like to see Diary of a Madman amd The Tingler in HD

Ian Jane
08-26-2015, 09:23 AM
Shout's VP Collection Vol. 1 went OOP so if you want it and you can still get it, now is the time.

Ian Jane
09-10-2015, 01:08 PM
TWICE TOLD TALES - Brand New HD Master - Coming December 1st from Kino.

Special Features:
• Audio Commentary by Film Historians Richard Harland Smith and Perry Martin
• "Trailers From Hell" with Mick Garris
• Trailers For Twice Told Tales | Tales of Terror | Black Sabbath

Mark Tolch
09-10-2015, 03:04 PM
You know...I've seen a lot of Price. And I've never seen this one.

Stephen
09-10-2015, 03:35 PM
I like that one very much. I think it's the best of the three Admiral productions Price made (the others are Corman's TOWER OF LONDON and DIARY OF A MADMAN). It's very cheaply made but Hawthorne's stories are great and it has a lot of charm.

Gary Banks
09-10-2015, 04:39 PM
I'm looking forward to this one.

John Bernhard
10-04-2015, 09:27 AM
Saw this linked over @ DVD Savant
Vincent Price interviewed by Kermit the Frog, subbing for Johnny Carson on The Tonight Show in 1979
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=16&v=mW8a_uszBDo

John Bernhard
10-21-2015, 04:01 PM
Watch for Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine from Kino, they seem to have goofed the aspect ratio.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_69/dr_goldfoot_and_the_bikini_machine_blu-ray.htm

I took a few of the caps and adjusted them
BD
http://s3.postimg.org/9axf5hg7n/bikin1.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
Fixed
http://s3.postimg.org/604grv0wj/bikin1_Copy.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
BD
http://s3.postimg.org/3lh6l6a1f/bikini2.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
Fixed
http://s3.postimg.org/pjdneyp1v/bikini2_Copy.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Mark Tolch
10-21-2015, 04:53 PM
Why would the Bottom Line be that it's a decent way to see the film when it's stretched that way??? That's not a decemt way to see the film at all.

Ian Jane
10-21-2015, 05:21 PM
From Scream's FB page:

**More VINCENT PRICE Films Coming!**

Fans of the legendary horror star will be happy to learn that we are planning to release THE VINCENT PRICE COLLECTION III on Blu-ray sometime in the first half of 2016!

The films in this set will include Master of the World (1961), Tower of London (1962), Diary of a Madman (1963), Cry of the Banshee (1970) and An Evening of Edgar Allan Poe (1970).

Stay tuned for more details (when to pre-order, artwork, etc.) before the end of the year. And if you haven't done so already, pick up THE VINCENT PRICE COLLECTION II--which is now on sale at its lowest "price" at www.screamshocktober.com

Barry M
10-21-2015, 07:07 PM
I saw what they did there.

Barry M
10-30-2015, 01:28 PM
I have this cookbook, but I've never cooked anything from it. Nice to hear it's back in print.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/10/30/452660436/back-from-the-dead-horror-icon-vincent-price-s-cookbook-revived

Ian Jane
11-18-2015, 10:36 AM

Stephen
11-18-2015, 09:40 PM
From Scream's FB page:

**More VINCENT PRICE Films Coming!**

Fans of the legendary horror star will be happy to learn that we are planning to release THE VINCENT PRICE COLLECTION III on Blu-ray sometime in the first half of 2016!

The films in this set will include Master of the World (1961), Tower of London (1962), Diary of a Madman (1963), Cry of the Banshee (1970) and An Evening of Edgar Allan Poe (1970).

Interesting. Only 4 1/2 films this time? Probably that's all what's left in the MGM vaults.

I hope they can find a video master of "An Evening of Edgar Allan Poe". This wonderful tv special was shot on video, but what we got on DVD was a transfer from a 16mm copy of that original video elements - that looked not so hot.

And maybe we could get both versions of "Cry of the Banshee" (UK and US), which are pretty different. After the theatrical release in 1970, the US version was released only on VHS so far (and only in the UK :biggrin: ).

Barry M
11-19-2015, 11:51 AM
I think I might have to do this:

Toronto, The Revue Cinema, 400 Roncesvalles Ave, 9pm

http://revuecinema.ca/r/rue-morgue-magazine-presents-vincent-price-master-of-meance,-lover-of-life,-scream--scream-again

How often do you get to watch a horror film in the presence of actual horror royalty? Join us on November 19 as Rue Morgue Magazine presents Vincent Price: Master of Menace, Lover of Life with special guest Victoria Price. Price will grace the stage to discuss her father’s career with an elaborate slide show, followed by a rare 35mm screening of Scream and Scream Again (1970), which features Price alongside two other horror icons: Peter Cushing and the recently departed Christopher Lee.

Mark Tolch
11-19-2015, 12:24 PM
I would be all over that if I lived closer. I was thinking about it a couple nights ago, but I'm just not able to go to bed late on a work night anymore. Sad, really.

Mark Tolch
11-20-2015, 10:31 AM
Did you go, Barry?

Barry M
11-20-2015, 11:43 AM
No, of course not. But it's nice that it happened.

Mark Tolch
11-20-2015, 11:58 AM
haha, yes it is. And i hope that they do more things like this.

John Bernhard
12-19-2015, 12:19 PM
This was linked over @ DVD Savant today, sent to him by Gary Teetzel,
a 1949 short hosted by VP of CHRISTMAS CAROL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxgU_J366JI

John Bernhard
01-08-2016, 06:06 PM
Nice idea but does anyone on the planet find this doll to bear any resemblance to the real article?
http://s14.postimg.org/cmmel0vgh/77878.png (http://postimage.org/)

Barry M
01-08-2016, 06:23 PM
It looks a little like Kevin Spacey as Paul Reubens.

Barry M
01-08-2016, 06:24 PM
With John Waters' mustache.

John Bernhard
01-08-2016, 06:24 PM
Full Disclosure on contents, they have done an admirable job with the features.
DISC 1:
MASTER OF THE WORLD
High Definition 1080p (1.85:1)/DTS Master Audio Stereo/1961/Color/Not Rated/102 minutes
Special Features:
• NEW High Definition Master from the inter-positive
• NEW Stereo Soundtrack created from the original 4-track mag
• NEW audio commentary with actor David Frankham
• NEW Richard Matheson: Storyteller: Extended Cut (72 minutes)
• Theatrical Trailer
• Posters, Lobby Cards and Behind-the-Scenes Photo Gallery
• Photo Gallery of images from David Frankham’s personal collection
DISC 2:
TOWER OF LONDON
High Definition 1080p (1.66:1)/DTS Master Audio Mono/1962/B&W/Not Rated/80 minutes
Special Features:
• NEW High Definition Master from a fine grain film print
• NEW interview with director Roger Corman
• Producing Tower of London – an interview with producer Gene Corman
• Two episodes of Science Fiction Theatre: One Thousand Eyes and Operation Flypaper (1956) both starring Vincent Price (in Standard Definition – 52 minutes)
DISC 3:
DIARY OF A MADMAN
High Definition 1080p (1.66:1)/DTS Master Audio Mono/1963/Color/Not Rated/96 minutes
AN EVENING OF EDGAR ALLAN POE
Standard Definition (1.33:1)/DTS Master Audio Mono/1970/Color/Not Rated/53 mins.
Special Features:
• NEW High Definition Master from the inter-positive film element (Diary of A Madman)
• NEW master created from the original 2” tape masters (An Evening of Edgar Allan Poe)
• NEW Audio Commentary with film historian and author Steve Haberman (on both features)
• NEW Interview with writer/producer/director Kenneth Johnson (An Evening of Edgar Allan Poe)
• Theatrical Trailer (Diary of A Madman)
• Poster and Lobby Card Gallery (Diary of A Madman)
• Behind-the-Scenes Photo Gallery (An Evening of Edgar Allan Poe)
DISC 4:
CRY OF THE BANSHEE
High Definition 1080p (1.85:1)/DTS Master Audio Mono/1970/Color/Not Rated/91 minutes (Director’s Cut)/87 minutes (Theatrical Cut)
Special Features:
• NEW High Definition Master of the director’s cut from the inter-positive
• NEW High Definition Master of the American International Theatrical Cut from the only surviving element in MGM’s Vault, a Color Reversal Intermediate
• NEW Audio Commentary by film historian Steve Haberman (Director’s Cut)
• A Devilish Tale of Poe – an interview with director Gordon Hessler
• Theatrical Trailer
• TV Spot
• Radio Spot

John Bernhard
01-08-2016, 06:34 PM
We all can take a bad picture sometimes,
so here's is the VP doll from another angle.
http://s30.postimg.org/rojk8ok5d/vpp.png (http://postimage.org/)

Barry M
01-08-2016, 07:07 PM
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg138/barrymba56/tomhanks_zpstttq4zh7.jpg

Mark Tolch
01-08-2016, 07:13 PM
Hahahaha

Stephen
01-11-2016, 12:55 PM
Full Disclosure on contents, they have done an admirable job with the features.
DISC 1:
MASTER OF THE WORLD
High Definition 1080p (1.85:1)/DTS Master Audio Stereo/1961/Color/Not Rated/102 minutes
Special Features:
• NEW High Definition Master from the inter-positive
• NEW Stereo Soundtrack created from the original 4-track mag
• NEW audio commentary with actor David Frankham
• NEW Richard Matheson: Storyteller: Extended Cut (72 minutes)
• Theatrical Trailer
• Photo Gallery of images from David Frankham’s personal collection
DISC 2:
TOWER OF LONDON
High Definition 1080p (1.66:1)/DTS Master Audio Mono/1962/B&W/Not Rated/80 minutes
Special Features:
• NEW High Definition Master from a fine grain film print
• NEW interview with director Roger Corman
• Producing Tower of London – an interview with producer Gene Corman
• Two episodes of Science Fiction Theatre: One Thousand Eyes and Operation Flypaper (1956) both starring Vincent Price (in Standard Definition – 52 minutes)
DISC 3:
DIARY OF A MADMAN
High Definition 1080p (1.66:1)/DTS Master Audio Mono/1963/Color/Not Rated/96 minutes
AN EVENING OF EDGAR ALLAN POE
Standard Definition (1.33:1)/DTS Master Audio Mono/1970/Color/Not Rated/53 mins.
Special Features:
• NEW High Definition Master from the inter-positive film element (Diary of A Madman)
• NEW master created from the original 2” tape masters (An Evening of Edgar Allan Poe)
• NEW Audio Commentary with film historian and author Steve Haberman (on both features)
• NEW Interview with writer/producer/director Kenneth Johnson (An Evening of Edgar Allan Poe)
• Theatrical Trailer (Diary of A Madman)
• Poster and Lobby Card Gallery (Diary of A Madman)
• Behind-the-Scenes Photo Gallery (An Evening of Edgar Allan Poe)
DISC 4:
CRY OF THE BANSHEE
High Definition 1080p (1.85:1)/DTS Master Audio Mono/1970/Color/Not Rated/91 minutes (Director’s Cut)/87 minutes (Theatrical Cut)
Special Features:
• NEW High Definition Master of the director’s cut from the inter-positive
• NEW High Definition Master of the American International Theatrical Cut from the only surviving element in MGM’s Vault, a Color Reversal Intermediate
• NEW Audio Commentary by film historian Steve Haberman (Director’s Cut)
• A Devilish Tale of Poe – an interview with director Gordon Hessler
• Theatrical Trailer
• TV Spot
• Radio Spot

Sounds really great! We get all what I had hoped for and even something more!

Ian Jane
02-04-2016, 10:51 AM
Rad picture.

Ian Jane
02-25-2016, 10:58 AM
Here's a picture of Vincent Price putting a cat on Peter Lorre's head.

John Bernhard
04-26-2016, 09:41 AM
A site that celebrates the sound of Vincent Price, audio recordings describing the 1962 World's Fair.
http://www.thesoundofvincentprice.com/century-twenty-first/

Ian Jane
05-20-2016, 10:09 AM
Here's a picture of Vincent Price holding a monkey.

You're welcome.

Mark Tolch
05-20-2016, 03:44 PM
Aces.

Ian Jane
06-01-2016, 09:34 AM
Arrow announced on FB that they're working on Tower Of London.

Ian Jane
07-03-2016, 09:28 AM
Cover art for the upcoming Twilight Time Blu-ray.

Ian Jane
07-25-2016, 09:12 AM
From Anolis' FB page:

Screams!!!!

Because the tingler is coming!

That's right, our summer break is coming to an end, the I-catcher shop opens soon again his gate - so it's time to announce something again. And There's hardly anything better than the no. 3 of our revenge of the gallery of horror series, which - as many have already whispered - cry, if the tingler's name.

What is it:

The New York Doctor Dr. Chapin's a groundbreaking discovery: he finds out that in situations of greatest fear to the spine of the human being a parasite is growing, the backbone of his host destroyed, he won't through a freezing angstschrei killed. Chapin want the essence, the he took the name "Tingler" has given a daring self-experiment separating, in order to prove his discovery. But how can he the tingler from a host, remove it if the patient could lose his life? There comes to him, the silent wife of a well-known at just the right moment, because she is unable to scream. So matures in Dr. Chapin a ruthless plan, whose execution has unknown consequences.

But now the most important - the equipment:

Packaging: Standard Ama Ray Shell (with wings for a 2.-Disc)
Order No: 31073
Ean code: 404 1036 31073 8

Fsk: 12
Image Format: 1:1,79 (16:9)
Sound Format: German / English / DTS MA 2.0 mono
Subtitles: German (Ausblendbar)

2-Disc-Edition (Blu-ray & DVD)

Extras: Audio Commentary by Dr. Rolf Giesen and uwe sommerlad / audio commentary with ingo strecker and Robert Zion / German Kinofassung / documentation " scream for your live " / American view trailer / German view trailer / " scream " Scene Cinema / " scream " Scene Drive-in movie / Picture Gallery

20-page booklet written by Dr. Rolf Giesen

As a release date we have the 19. August 2016.

Ian Jane
11-11-2016, 12:26 PM
Coming from Arrow UK in Feb...

NEW UK ONLY TITLE: Tower of London Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD
Vincent Price and Roger Corman unite for this macabre Shakespearean classic.
Pre-order your copy: http://bit.ly/2eZwBm2
Release Date: 13th February 2017

MOTHER ENGLAND MEETS FATHER TERROR!

Having made their mark on American horror cinema with three colourful adaptations of Edgar Allan Poe – The Fall of the House of Usher, Pit and the Pendulum and Tales of Terror – Vincent Price and director Roger Corman enjoyed a brief hiatus from the macabre author with Tower of London. Shot in black and white, the film was loosely based on the Universal horror picture of the same name as well as two Shakespeare plays: a dash of Macbeth and a dollop of Richard III.

Price plays Richard of Gloucester, brother to a dying king and eager to take his place on the throne. When he is overlooked in favour of their sibling, the Duke of Clarence, things take a murderous turn. Richard goes on a murderous rage, only for the ghosts of those he has slain to return from the grave and haunt him…

Less well-known than the Poe movies, Tower of London is no slouch. Price relishes the opportunity to flex his Shakespearean muscles, just as he would eleven years later with Theatre of Blood, and Corman works wonders, as usual, with his low budget. If you’ve ever wondered what a drive-in Shakespeare film would look like, you’re in the right place!

•High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of the feature, transferred from original film elements by MGM
•Original 1.0 mono audio (uncompressed on the Blu-ray)
•Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
•Brand-new audio commentary by Vincent Price’s biographer David Del Valle and Tara Gordon, daughter of actor-screenwriter Leo Gordon
•Interview with director Roger Corman
•Producing Tower of London, an archive interview with producer Gene Corman
•Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Dan Mumford
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Fully illustrated collector’s booklet containing new writing on the film by Julian Upton

John Bernhard
11-11-2016, 02:46 PM
https://s17.postimg.org/g7ctbg9vj/v_price_tingles.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/zcg2l7ojf/)https://s17.postimg.org/lk1npkxrz/v_price_tingles2.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/4jirgwkqj/)

John Bernhard
11-17-2016, 03:06 PM
https://s22.postimg.org/be0jkoo9t/vicent_price_ice_cream_61_Copy.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/6s4fcc2ql/)

Ian Jane
07-24-2017, 09:51 AM

agent999
08-11-2017, 09:03 AM
Just received the German Blu Ray Media book of Last Man on Earth today. Not sure how this one passed me by. Pretty stacked special edition, it includes the alternate Italian cut, a colourized version, Night of the Living Dead (SD) and a Christmas Carol (with Vincent Price -SD). To top all that, it comes with the soundtrack CD. Transfer appears to be the same as the Shout Factory one. Time to ditch my German upscale disc.

John Bernhard
08-31-2017, 03:30 PM
A guy on FB sells St Vincent candles.....might have to get some of these.
https://s26.postimg.org/t2r2u6wex/v_price.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Ian Jane
09-14-2017, 10:15 AM

Ian Jane
12-21-2017, 09:36 AM
Cover art for the soon to be released Twilight Time Blu-ray...

John Bernhard
02-15-2018, 10:43 PM
BTS making the 2nd Phibes flick
https://s18.postimg.org/kugzdshyh/vincent_price_72_fiona_lewis_valli_kemp_bts.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

chriszilla
02-15-2018, 11:54 PM
Vincent Price is one of my all-time favorite actors.

I've tried to use a small version of this pic as my avatar, but the system won't allow me to. I take it that's because I'm still a new member? Do you have to have a certain number of posts here before you are able to customize your avatar?

Ian Jane
02-16-2018, 09:56 AM
Nope, you can do it from day one but it has to be sized right. Shrink it to 64 x 80 and save it as a jpeg and it should work. If not, PM me.

chriszilla
02-16-2018, 04:09 PM
Nope, you can do it from day one but it has to be sized right. Shrink it to 64 x 80 and save it as a jpeg and it should work. If not, PM me.

Thanks for the info. I just checked, and I had resized it to 80x100 (and only 2.5 KB), so I guess that's why it wasn't working. I'll try it again.

Ian Jane
03-12-2018, 02:08 PM

Ian Jane
08-20-2018, 04:47 PM

John Bernhard
09-07-2018, 11:53 PM
undated press shot
https://s15.postimg.cc/7vm0py9y3/v_price_piped.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/i5ofp6ztj/)

Ian Jane
09-08-2018, 08:20 AM
The corncob pipe suits him somehow.

SuperDevilDoctor
09-08-2018, 03:20 PM
He's rocking the leather jacket and rollneck sweater.

Mark Tolch
09-08-2018, 04:51 PM
The corncob pipe suits him somehow.

Coulda used a button nose and two eyes made out of coal.

Ian Jane
10-31-2018, 02:01 PM
Kino just posted this on twitter.

"Coming on Blu-ray!

The House of the Seven Gables (1940) Vincent Price, George Sanders, Margaret Lindsay, Cecil Kellaway and Alan Napier – Shot by Milton R. Krasner (Scarlet Street) – Based on the Novel by Nathaniel Hawthorne (Twice-Told Tales) – Directed by Joe May (Asphalt)."

Ian Jane
12-21-2018, 11:08 AM

Paul L
12-26-2018, 07:47 PM
Been listening to the BBC radio series THE PRICE OF FEAR over the Christmas season, via BBC Sounds: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ntlnt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Price_of_Fear

There are some cracking episodes in it. They're worth a listen, if you've not heard them before.

There are some interesting guest stars too: 'The Man Who Hated Scenes' features Peter Cushing alongside Price.

Ian Jane
01-23-2019, 09:44 AM
Great promo still from Tomb Of Ligeia.

John Bernhard
01-23-2019, 10:49 AM
Coasting
https://i.postimg.cc/XYBS6SQQ/v-price-roller-cosaster.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Yv7yQVcW)

Mark Tolch
01-23-2019, 01:50 PM
I'd lose my shit if I got onto a rollercoaster and Vincent Price was sitting beside me in a suit and tie. Doubly so if it were to happen now.

Ian Jane
02-08-2019, 01:36 PM
Kino just posted this on twitter.

"Coming on Blu-ray!

The House of the Seven Gables (1940) Vincent Price, George Sanders, Margaret Lindsay, Cecil Kellaway and Alan Napier – Shot by Milton R. Krasner (Scarlet Street) – Based on the Novel by Nathaniel Hawthorne (Twice-Told Tales) – Directed by Joe May (Asphalt)."

Ian Jane
03-13-2019, 09:48 AM
Indicator has a Dragonwyck Blu-ray coming soon.

https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/collections/frontpage/products/dragonwyck-le

John Bernhard
06-16-2019, 05:56 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/qM16s6Sm/v-price-65-legia.jpg (https://postimg.cc/56Ft1yxv)

Ian Jane
06-21-2019, 05:49 PM
The Scream Factory Vincent Price Collection Vol. 2 set is on sale for $27.00 on Amazon.

https://amzn.to/2WSixQd

Ian Jane
07-06-2019, 08:45 AM

anthony1138
07-08-2019, 01:47 PM
That's a great shot!

John Bernhard
07-18-2019, 09:54 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/Y0Rs9vB6/vincent-price-50-caeser.jpg (https://postimg.cc/JHyqY4n0)

John Bernhard
09-06-2019, 11:11 PM
US TV game show 1958
https://i.postimg.cc/8PqtHt4c/vincent-price-58-tv.jpg (https://postimg.cc/vctr87pw)

Mark Tolch
09-07-2019, 09:24 AM
Nice!

John Bernhard
09-12-2019, 06:57 PM
Out on the town in 1962
https://i.postimg.cc/PxMb4YFS/v-price-and-wife.jpg (https://postimg.cc/62yG62KZ)

https://i.postimg.cc/fLsjmB53/v-price-and-wife-62.jpg (https://postimg.cc/DWCXKQ9F)

John Bernhard
10-06-2019, 08:26 PM
Fopping it up in '45
https://i.postimg.cc/NfrLKs43/nt-price-45-fop.jpg (https://postimg.cc/xcn97SB5)

John Bernhard
10-12-2019, 10:14 AM
Book focusing on Mr. Price, getting some decent reviews
http://unsunghorrors.co.uk/into-the-velvet-darkness-a-celebration-of-vincent-price/