PDA

View Full Version : Family Honor

VinceP
04-29-2011, 04:26 PM
So does anyone know much about this movie? Code Red's been blue-balling us forever by tagging the trailer on the front of nearly every one of their releases for the past year or two. All I've been able to find is one lone overview on IMDB. I love the freak intensity shown in the trailers. And the mustached guy's mug when he pops out from behind the car and unloads the sawed-off shotgun. And how he's carrying shells in his mouth. And the music.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/dullboy/familyhonor.jpg

Ian Jane
04-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Oh man, I'm dying to see that one too. The trailer makes it look like the greatest thing ever, like it's got a sort of Massacre Mafia Style low budget zaniness to it that could be endlessly entertaining. I don't know anything about it though - I've searched eBay a few times to see if any boots show up but I don't know if it even ever had a VHS release? Some lobby cards pop up, but that doesn't really help much.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/reelart/FAMILY1.JPG

VinceP
04-29-2011, 04:38 PM
The trailer makes it look like the greatest thing ever, like it's got a sort of Massacre Mafia Style low budget zaniness to it that could be endlessly entertaining.
Exactly. All of it looks crazy fun. Like the way the old man is looking into the camera when he talks about spitting on the family honor. Of course, should it ever see the light of day, my expectations will probably leave me walking away disappointed.

Ian Jane
04-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Yeah, there's obviously the very real chance that the trailer is the best part, but I'd still love to see it.

Code Red does good work more often than not and I really like the fact that they're digging this stuff out even if they are a strange outfit, but their release schedule is a puzzling one. Though the trailer has been on I don't know how many of their discs now, they don't even list this one on their site anymore.

VinceP
04-29-2011, 04:45 PM
That's what gets me. Seems like they are promoting this one more than anything else yet there's no blog news, no release date, nada.

Ian Jane
12-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Bill just posted these on Facebook...

VinceP
12-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Finally some hint of progress? Hope it's worth the five year tease or however long it's been since he put the first trailer up.

Richard--W
12-20-2013, 12:12 PM
Those screen caps look like grainy 16mm. But they tell us Bill does in fact have a copy of the film. I've been curious to see FAMILY HONOR after sitting through the trailer on every single Code Red DVD I own. After plugging it for all these years he can't not release it, can he? Time to drop the other shoe or stop with the trailer already.

VinceP
12-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Yup. Been waiting even longer for Night Warning and The Farmer.

Jimmy Simard
12-20-2013, 12:35 PM
Scorpions own The Farmer not Code Red...

VinceP
12-20-2013, 12:39 PM
^ I'm always getting confused with what brother owns what...:dunno:

Scott
12-20-2013, 02:46 PM
I want to see this too. "THEY MUDDER'D YA FAHDDER!"

Very MMS vibe.

Ian Jane
03-22-2016, 09:45 AM
So it seems this is actually getting close to a real release? I can wait another six weeks... this one had better deliver though.

From Blu-ray.com (http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=208746&page=646):

Mike DiRoma
03-22-2016, 11:11 PM
We shall see.

Scyther
03-24-2016, 03:18 AM
I hope so! Been dying to see this one, as well. I really dug the work CR did on their Legacy of Satan Blu; Never thought that film would look or sound that good.

John Bernhard
03-27-2016, 10:55 AM
Instinct & experience tells me if this film was any good, someone on the planet would be singing it's praises somewhere, I have yet to find any evidence to this occurring.

I smell a bomb.

Ian Jane
03-27-2016, 11:42 AM
I don't know anyone who has actually ever seen it.

VinceP
07-08-2016, 05:08 PM
Look out the window. Pigs are flying.

http://codereddvd.bigcartel.com/product/family-honor-limited-to-1000-edition

Matt H.
07-08-2016, 08:45 PM
How many people are going to buy this, 200 people? Maybe, 300?

sukebanboy
07-08-2016, 09:16 PM
The director himself has uploaded this movie onto youtube....

The Silly Swede
07-09-2016, 05:01 AM
There is no way in hell this films is gonna be worth the wait.

Dick Ringeisen
07-09-2016, 08:21 PM
Yeah, kinda hard to keep up hype. Especially, when one considers, after 10 or so years, people die off. Build up hype for a few years, one wants to milk an HD release, do it, but at least put something else out there.

I was keen on Family honor, but since the director put the film on youtube, well, yeah, I'd still like it in HD, but...

Crank out the releases, Code Red, Scorpion. Get that stuff out there. Don't milk releases for the, "perfect opportunity", because things change, less and less folks care for physical media.

The Farmer, get that out there.

Butcher Baker Nightmare Maker? A BD? Do it! My only complain about that, years ago, was don't go releasing a BLU, a year after declaring, "DVD ONLY".

There is only a certain audience for this stuff. I am Super Happy SHAKMA had a blu release. I saw that thing on Shotime, or whatever, years ago. Stuck with me. i bought hat, during release, and nothing else, from Screen Archives. Some people are like that about film. Like a certain label, but certain films stick with them. The old folks get, the less of us there are out there, who buy films for that sake of having a film, and not to complete a release run from a company.

I am interested in watching Family Honour, but, due to the wait, after X amount of time, it made me less interested.

Ian Jane
07-24-2016, 10:19 AM
Watched it last night. The Code Red Blu looks okay for what it is (a composite of 2 16mm prints) but it has audio issues - the sound is muffled and occasionally out of synch. The only extras are the trailer for the movie and then an alternate version of a trailer for the movie.

As to the film itself, I liked it. It isn't as zany as the trailer makes it out to be, those expecting something akin to Massacre Mafia Style might be left disappointed. What it is, however, is a pretty decent low budget revenge thriller. A cop, gets killed. The son, Joey Fortunato (Tony Page) also a cop, is pressured by his crazy mother to avenge dad's death. The guy's uncle, the one who has the 'spit on your family honor' line in the trailer pushes him to do this too. So he does, he roughs a guy up, gets kicked off the force, saves a junkie and starts tracking down the bad guys. There's a twist or two as the movie comes to a finish. Looks like most of this was shot in the Bronx, so you get some cool 70s NYC footage. Fortunato is a pretty cool lead here, I liked him in the role. The supporting cast is made up of fairly quirky NYC types, mostly Italian/mafia cliches, but they're fun. A lot of the movie is shot in close up which gives it a very weird vibe and the minimalist soundtrack works in the film's favor.

So it's not really that sleazy or over the top, but it's definitely gritty and quirky. I'm happy to own the Blu-ray.

John Bernhard
07-25-2016, 06:23 PM
It has a feel at times that made me think of HEADLESS EYES. You can smell the city :)

Ian Jane
07-27-2016, 05:08 PM
I haven't seen Headless Eyes but Bruce Holecheck mentioned on FB that it kind of reminded him of Last House On Dead End Street and I can see why. Not in terms of content or the horror quotient, but in terms of the wonky production values, the vibe of certain scenes - it has a similar tone in spots.

Mark C.
07-27-2016, 07:26 PM
Watched it last night. The Code Red Blu looks okay for what it is (a composite of 2 16mm prints) but it has audio issues - the sound is muffled and occasionally out of synch. The only extras are the trailer for the movie and then an alternate version of a trailer for the movie.

As to the film itself, I liked it. It isn't as zany as the trailer makes it out to be, those expecting something akin to Massacre Mafia Style might be left disappointed. What it is, however, is a pretty decent low budget revenge thriller. A cop, gets killed. The son, Joey Fortunato (Tony Page) also a cop, is pressured by his crazy mother to avenge dad's death. The guy's uncle, the one who has the 'spit on your family honor' line in the trailer pushes him to do this too. So he does, he roughs a guy up, gets kicked off the force, saves a junkie and starts tracking down the bad guys. There's a twist or two as the movie comes to a finish. Looks like most of this was shot in the Bronx, so you get some cool 70s NYC footage. Fortunato is a pretty cool lead here, I liked him in the role. The supporting cast is made up of fairly quirky NYC types, mostly Italian/mafia cliches, but they're fun. A lot of the movie is shot in close up which gives it a very weird vibe and the minimalist soundtrack works in the film's favor.

So it's not really that sleazy or over the top, but it's definitely gritty and quirky. I'm happy to own the Blu-ray.

Thanks for the rundown I hope my copy turns up soon :)

Jamie Edwards
10-06-2018, 12:38 PM
I saw this, and I liked it, but there are a few things about the movie I didn't understand. So I thought Id see if anyone can explain this stuff..And, I need to say SPOILERS..

Ok the first is, when Joe goes into the restaurant to confront the Mafia guy. He pulls out the shotgun, and he's like three feet away from him. He shoots twice, but doesn't hit the guy either time. Did he miss on purpose? Because he was so close I don't know how he could miss him. It wasn't like the old guy was up and scrambling off.

Second is, who killed the Mafia guy? They don't show who did it when it happens. At the end, the Uncle makes a comment like 'he's dead and I got him' or something like that. I couldn't tell if that was supposed to explain it or not.

Also, why are Joe, the Mom, and Uncle all standing in the cemetary so close to the Mafia guys funeral? Wouldn't that make them an easy target? I didn't understand that whole ending. But like I said, I still enjoyed it.

John Bernhard
10-06-2018, 02:01 PM
$8 @ Hamilton Books
https://www.hamiltonbook.com/family-honor