PDA

View Full Version : Less Than Zero [1987]

King-Wasp
12-21-2017, 05:20 AM
Anybody else have nothing but love for this one? I know it’s not as dark as the book, blah, blah, blah- but it rules regardess. Spader as the coke dealer, Rip- is the essence of cool. Prolly the coolest pusher other than Special K. McCray in Rush [1991]. I get a kick out of how McCarthy and Spader did Mannequin a few months before this the same year... right here in my native city of Philly. If there’s one title that’s severely overdo for a Blu-ray release, it’s this film. It’s on Netflix, and it looks a tad better than my DVD upscaled. And considering that it takes place during Christmas, there’s never been a better time to watch it.

Ian Jane
12-21-2017, 09:49 AM
I haven't seen this in years but remember liking it at the time and being impressed that it had Slayer on the soundtrack.

The Silly Swede
12-21-2017, 11:43 AM
I recall I was pretty underwhelmed by it when I saw it the first time, as I really liked the book. However, when I revisited it a few years ago I quite liked it.

Alex K.
12-21-2017, 12:14 PM
The novel is interesting in the directions it takes. The movie is a glorified after school special. The sequel to the book (Imperial Bedrooms) is dog shit and most likely made Ellis realize that his writing glory years are behind him.

Let's see a remake of this thing already.

null
12-21-2017, 12:54 PM
I haven't seen this in years but remember liking it at the time and being impressed that it had Slayer on the soundtrack.

And Danzig, twice (once as a songwriter for Roy Obison, and a vocalist for the other)! I know it's most likely to have happened because Rick Rubin produced the soundtrack, but still.

AngelGuts
12-21-2017, 02:26 PM
Anybody else have nothing but love for this one? I know it’s not as dark as the book, blah, blah, blah- but it rules regardess. Spader as the coke dealer, Rip- is the essence of cool. Prolly the coolest pusher other than Special K. McCray in Rush [1991]. I get a kick out of how McCarthy and Spader did Mannequin a few months before this the same year... right here in my native city of Philly. If there’s one title that’s severely overdo for a Blu-ray release, it’s this film. It’s on Netflix, and it looks a tad better than my DVD upscaled. And considering that it takes place during Christmas, there’s never been a better time to watch it.

I saw this film theatrically upon release and really liked it. Very moody and captures a certain LA essence deftly.

The excellent score came out recently on CD for the first time.

Mark Tolch
12-21-2017, 03:48 PM
The novel is interesting in the directions it takes. The movie is a glorified after school special. The sequel to the book (Imperial Bedrooms) is dog shit and most likely made Ellis realize that his writing glory years are behind him.

Let's see a remake of this thing already.

Pretty much what Alex said. I never understood the love for the film, especially compared to the book, and Spader is the only part of the film worth a damn. McCarthy and Gertz are horrible in this, and I guess we can't really call Downey Jr. "acting" in this one.

Alex K.
12-21-2017, 03:50 PM
It was practically an autobiography for Downey at the time.

King-Wasp
12-22-2017, 04:56 AM
I didn’t care for the film the first time I saw it, many, many moons ago. For me it’s all about the 80’s rich bitch California locale, the hairstyles, the clothes, and the tackiness of it all. It’s like a more expensive, youthful, ritzy titsy version of Cocaine: One Man’s Seduction. All that stuff captured on film, and frozen in time for us to go back and explore. It’s all the shit and the overall vibe of the film. I watch it with only one goal- to be entertained, and it delivers this for me in spades.

King-Wasp
12-22-2017, 05:13 AM
I saw this film theatrically upon release and really liked it. Very moody and captures a certain LA essence deftly.

The excellent score came out recently on CD for the first time.

Damn, color me jealous! Yup, you know it, bud!

Oh yeah, Thomas Newman’s score is outstanding! Bought it last year when it was released, seeing how it’s limited to 1,000 units. My favorites tracks are Penguin Room, and Poolside.