PDA

View Full Version : Slaughter High and The Funhouse coming from Arrow

Ian Jane
05-03-2011, 10:35 AM
From Cult Labs' press release:

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j438/Film365/SlaughterHigh.jpg

When the alumni of an all-American high school make a trip to attend a class reunion, they reconnect with their pasts in ways more bloody and fatal than they could possibly imagine in the 80s slasher classic Slaughter High.

On arrival, they discover the school shuttered and in disrepair, as if the reunion were just a ruse to drag them back. Still, the old pupils decide to break in and celebrate anyway. A deadly error considering that Marty, the nerd whose teenage life they made a living hell, is lurking in the dank, dark corridors, waiting to bring fear, torment and slicing, dicing murder to each and every one of them.

A Stalk ‘n’ Slash video store classic from the golden era of bottom shelf horror starring scream queen Caroline Munro (Maniac, The Last Horror Film).

THIS EDITION CONTAINS
- Reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned artwork
- Double-sided fold-out artwork poster
- Collector’s booklet featuring brand new writing on the film by author Troy Howarth, an interview with legendary composer Harry Manfredini by Calum Waddell and an interview with star Josephine Scandi by Justin Kerswell

SPECIAL FEATURES:
- Available on DVD for the first time in the UK!
- Introduction by co-writer/ co-director Mark Ezra
- Jesters and Jolts: Interview with co-writer/co-director Mark Ezra
- Lamb to the Slaughter: The Scream Queen Career of Caroline Munro
- Audio Commentary with star Caroline Munro, DVD World editor Allan Bryce and author and critic Calum Waddell
- Audio Commentary with co-writer/ co-director Mark Ezra moderated by Teenage Wasteland author J. A. Kerswell

Original art by Graham Humphreys – grahamhumphreys.com

DVD feature running time 87 mins
DVD Region 0 PAL
DVD RRP £15.99
Release date 11th July 2011

Ian Jane
05-03-2011, 10:37 AM
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j438/Film365/FunhouseBD.jpg

The carnival is a place for fun and laughter, but not for Amy and her friends. When their childish dare to stay all night in the spooky funhouse backfires, it leaves a trail of dismembered teenagers a mile long in Tobe Hooper’s classic video nasty era slasher.
Will anyone escape the clutches of the stumbling madman that stalks to sideshow? Is there no end to the carnival barkers chilling sadism? The only way to find out is ascend into the funhouse, where the games have no rules and the only prize on offer is a grisly demise.

Join us in The Funhouse. So much fun that you’ll never leave...Alive!

THIS BLU-RAY EDITION CONTAINS:
- Brand new transfer of the film in glorious High Definition (1080p)
- 4 panel reversible sleeve options with original and newly commissioned artwork
- Double-sided fold-out artwork poster
- Collector’s booklet featuring brand new writing on the film by critic and author Kim Newman.

SPECIAL FEATURES:
- Audio commentary with The Funhouse S/FX wizard Craig Reardon and Jeffrey Reddick (creator of The Final Destination series)
- Audio commentary with producer Derek Power and genre scholar Howard S. Berger
- Audio commentary with Justin Kerswell, author of ‘Teenage Wasteland’ and host of the slasher cinema website Hysteria Lives, and author Calum Waddell
- Stuck in the Funhouse with director Tobe Hooper
- Carnage at the Carnival: Tobe Hooper Remembers ‘The Funhouse’
- Miles of Mayhem: Acting in Tobe’s Funhouse with star Miles Chapin
- A Trilogy of Terror: The Make-up Madness of Craig Reardon, the S/FX wizard recollects his collaborations with Tobe Hooper; ‘Eaten Alive’, ‘Poltergeist’ and ‘The Funhouse’
- Master Class of Horror: Mick Garris, the director of Sleepwalkers and Stephen King's The Shining reflects on the crimson-covered career of his longtime colleague Tobe Hooper
- Live Q&A with Tobe Hooper from San Francisco
- Never before seen behind the scenes photographs from the collection of Craig Reardon

Blu-ray only
English subtitles for the hard of hearing
Running time 95 mins
Region ABC
RRP £27.99
Release date 18th July 2011

Ian Jane
05-03-2011, 10:39 AM
- Audio Commentary with star Caroline Munro, DVD World editor Allan Bryce and author and critic Calum Waddell

Interesting that they're not crediting Bryce as the editor of Dark Side.

Gee, why not? Why wouldn't they want to do that? Is there possibly something to hide there? Like, oh, I don't know.... RAMPANT FUCKING PLAGERISM?

Mike T
05-03-2011, 11:05 AM
I could say a LOT, but I'm pretty much over expending valuable breath on these scumbags (and their latter day new "associates"; nice to see a familiar name* "palled" up with the douches). I think that credit speaks for itself as to the integrity of ALL involved and concerned. 'nuff said. ;)

* probably why said same "name" quietly "unfriended" me on Facebook recently. Oh well, his loss not mine...

Ian Jane
05-03-2011, 11:09 AM
I'm more or less gonna leave it at this - it's both surprising and disappointing that certain parties would want to employ and/or work alongside someone who intentionally and knowingly not only harmed but downright stole from members of the very fanbase this release would cater to.

I have no beef with Arrow, never have and never will, I've praised their releases when they did a good job and rightfully called them out on a few gaffs. Review wise I've always treated their releases as I have any other studios and will continue to do so. HOWEVER, this is disappointing to me.

Mark Tolch
05-03-2011, 11:38 AM
FUNHOUSE looks cool. I don't know all of the details about some of the people mentioned, but I am pretty surprised that some people are invited to work on things given their past, and that other people would willingly contribute to a product involving such things.

Ian Jane
05-03-2011, 11:42 AM
No idea.

For the record, while I find Troy's involvement puzzling (though obviously he has the right to contribute wherever he sees fit), what I find more puzzling is the involvement of Bryce himself.

Mark Tolch
05-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Yeah, that's what i was saying about people being invited...like, if you were putting out a disc and you had potential contributors, and one of them turned out to be, say, a screaming plagiarist, not saying that's the case here, but if that were the case...you would probably want to not have them involved....i would think.

Mark Tolch
05-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Oh, and the only reason that i mentioned AVM in the first place is because of the lengthy Dark Side thread that was over there.

Mike T
05-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Here's my honest feedback on stuff: some years ago someone put one of Arrow's (now) contractors in touch with me and, like many other people, I got fleeced. I've not forgiven him for that nor am I prepared to put it behind me. When someone collaborates with you, and puts forward the allusion of friendship, then stabs you in the back it's not a nice feeling.

As for Arrow themselves: TBH, I've never bought a solitary title from their range. a) They insist on doing standards conversions ports of NTSC material for their DVDs, which annoys me; b) just about every title they've put out thus far has been trumped by a successive release from someone else with better quality control; and c) they made it abundantly clear to me in an email exchange a while back that they're largely in it (the cult label) for the money and couldn't give two figs about the manner in which their forums are run, or the contempt one of their contractors treats their fanbase with (I got one of those lovely emails, when I raised a serious complaint about such, that stated "the views and opinions of third parties" (ie: public relations firms and contractors) "do not represent those of Arrow themself". In other words, as those people don't directly work for us (even though we pay them), stiff cheddar to your concerns.

PS: Don't be surprised if that lengthy Dark Side thread up and "disappears" one day soon - people have shown where their loyalties lie of late, and that's wherever their bellies guide them.

PPS: Though it's nice to see what's being done on the cult movie front for the UK market (not sure how a major like Universal will take to one of their titles being made available for export on an All Region Blu-ray), from where I stand and as far as I'm concerned they can ALL (that's everyone involved) "eat it with an oversized fork". :p

Mark Tolch
05-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Huh. Just posted over on AVM...I mean, i know that i've seen people's names bandied about here and there unfavourably, and most of my information is coming from the internerd, which i know isn't matter of fact, but this is what i've got, and I won't be defaming anyone.....

1. Bryce and Waddell worked for Dark Side Magazine.
2. Dark Side was assumed to have liberally borrowed from a number of websites for their DVD reviews.
3. One of those websites was AVManiacs and some of the people "borrowed" from were members of that site.
4. Waddell has been working with Arrow, who are putting out Blurays, and;
5. Bryce is now on-board with Arrow, working with people that he has "borrowed" from.

Is that about it? I'm just surprised that people would support releases that have contributions from people who have disrespected others so greatly. This isn't like a "separate the art from the artist", in my opinion...but the whole thing is so shady.

Sorry to bog thigns down.

Ian Jane
05-03-2011, 02:59 PM
That's about it - though to be specific, you can feel free to replace the word 'borrowed' with 'blatantly ripped off' or just simply 'stolen.' Because that's what it was - theft, plain and simple.

Mike T
05-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Throw away "assumed" too. Mirek of Latarnia conclusively proved, with citable and verifiable evidence, that it was beyond "assumption". It was blatant and confirmed theft and it went on for years before someone noticed what he (Bryce) was getting away with: and that's a fact. ;)

PS: I think a certain British video label has just opened a whole can of worms for itself... :p

PPS: Before I had the blog, I almost had a website up and running and my IT guy** kept a track of where the site was taking hits from via its "backdoor" access (ie: if you knew what you were doing you could figure out how to see the "live" site as it was building. We had masses of data uploaded in there and quite a substantial number of reviews to boot). Anyhoo, after I severed my association with a certain someone the site started getting regular lengthy "visits" via the backdoor access from a static IP address based in Scotland. Make of that what you will...suffice to say, that someone (who admitted knowing zip about Asian cinema) suddenly started writing for a UK magazine as their resident "Asian cinema expert". And funny enough, a lot of that early work just so happened to, by coincidence, bear similarities to my "no public access" materials. Funny that...

** if anyone was wondering why the website never came to pass...though I can overlook a lot of things, I can't overlook a so-called "friend" starting up an opinion blog that pushed their militant atheist, racist and bigotted worldview on the public at large. Suffice to say, we fell out over those viewpoints and haven't spoken since.

Mark Tolch
05-03-2011, 04:05 PM
I just read over on AVM a post from Chris P., who says that he and Edwin hung out with Calum this year, and that Calum wasn't involved with the whole plagiarism thing there..The fact that Bryce is associate with Arrow, though, makes me want to avoid their products. No offense to you guys who own their stuff.

Ian Jane
05-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Calum was so appalled by the plagerism that Bryce allowed to go on... that he's brought him on board to participate with him on a commentary track?

That makes no sense. Someone is lying.

Mark Tolch
05-03-2011, 04:27 PM
The reply was that Arrow brought Bryce on board, not Calum. I personally would probably have a problem working with somebody who had run my name into the ground, but what do i know.

Ian Jane
05-03-2011, 04:34 PM
I personally would probably have a problem working with somebody who had run my name into the ground, but what do i know.

Well there is that, right? I'm not gonna drag Calum's name through the mud - I don't know what he did or didn't do - but it doesn't make sense for someone who was 'appalled' by what happened at the Dark Side to collaborate with the person responsible for the 'appalling' behavior, does it? Or does the fact that a few years have gone by make up for the fact that Bryce essentially told off those who he stole from, never bothering to apologize, instead rubbing our faces in it? We are instead supposed to just accept it, rather than want those accountable for it to own up to what they did and at least try to make ammends for it?

Chrissakes, at least Bill Knight made a half-hearted apology for the Midnight Legacy debacle, and there wasn't even theft involved there, just ridiculous ranting (admittedly very nasty ranting at that). That doesn't count for much but it counts for something - the Dark Side 'team' can't even claim that much.

Just sweep it under the rugs, it'll all go away. And apparantly some people who shouldn't be ok with it are. I really don't get it.

Mark Tolch
05-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Well there is that, right? I'm not gonna drag Calum's name through the mud - I don't know what he did or didn't do - but it doesn't make sense for someone who was 'appalled' by what happened at the Dark Side to collaborate with the person responsible for the 'appalling' behavior, does it? Or does the fact that a few years have gone by make up for the fact that Bryce essentially told off those who he stole from, never bothering to apologize, instead rubbing our faces in it? We are instead supposed to just accept it, rather than want those accountable for it to own up to what they did and at least try to make ammends for it?

Chrissakes, at least Bill Knight made a half-hearted apology for the Midnight Legacy debacle, and there wasn't even theft involved there, just ridiculous ranting (admittedly very nasty ranting at that). That doesn't count for much but it counts for something - the Dark Side 'team' can't even claim that much.

Just sweep it under the rugs, it'll all go away. And apparantly some people who shouldn't be ok with it are. I really don't get it.

Well, in the interest of not dragging it out, I'm kinda surprised, regardless...AVM was one of the sites that was ripped off, it's just odd that Edwin would be hanging out with him, and Troy would be contributing.

Ian Jane
05-03-2011, 04:55 PM
This whole deal is weird. I dunno who knew what ahead of time so don't want to jump to conclusions, but yeah, it's all very strange.

My issue wouldn't be getting involved with Arrow, it lies specifically with those involved in the plagerism by which I and many others were unfairly affected and then basically spit on.

Mark Tolch
05-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Well, Mirek posted over on AVM to make a comment or two about his dealings with Waddell....I don't know for sure what happened and with whom, but his comments make a lot more sense than any others posted, in my mind.

Ian Jane
05-03-2011, 05:25 PM
The amount of investigation Mirek put into this when it all broke years back is impressive. He probably knows more about this whole mess than anyone outside of the Dark Side offices when it went down.

Mark Tolch
05-03-2011, 05:27 PM
He did say, and I found it pretty interesting, that Calum continued to work for Bryce and Dark Side even after this whole thing was revealed. Can't have found it that appalling, I guess.

Ian Jane
05-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Actions do tend to speak louder than words.

Horace Cordier
05-04-2011, 01:24 AM
I could say a LOT, but I'm pretty much over expending valuable breath on these scumbags...

And I, on the other hand, have just started opening my mouth. I'm raring to go!:pistols:

Calum is an awful writer and a Bryce apologist. Thats enough to piss me off. Why arrow are in business with these people I have no idea. It is not doing them any favors.

At least Bryce is not on that FUNHOUSE Blu-ray. I can buy it with some peace of mind.

Mike T
05-04-2011, 01:40 AM
Calum was so appalled by the plagerism that Bryce allowed to go on... that he's brought him on board to participate with him on a commentary track?

Here's your answer: on another PR forum, during the organising of a weekend film festival event, Waddell stated on the forum, for the members, that he would see if he could arrange a guest appearance by "close personal friend/good friend and Dark Side editor" Allan Bryce. There. That solve the issue? It's there in black and white on the Cult Labs forums, typed by the boy himself.

PS: As for "not being involved" in the plagiarism* -- ask Mirek about, or do a search of the thread over at Latarnia, his calling out Waddell on trying to pass off an open-ended press interview with David Cronenberg as his own work...and a "Dark Side exclusive" at that. Once again, all there in black and white on the Latarnia forums. This stuff isn't hard to research, or too hard to see smoking guns everywhere some people are... ;)

@ Horace: Don't believe the "grad school" story you're being fed elsewhere. He's been peddling that story for years (since the plagiarism scandal broke, actually); he can't be that badly off with frequent trips to the US and Italy (probably on Arrow's cheque book) over the last couple of years. "Poor students" aren't exactly globe-trotters...

* that's how it's spelt, Ian... :p

Mike T
05-04-2011, 05:06 AM
In something unrelated, but still on the Arrow front...I almost bought their Island of Death DVD, until I read this:

"Island Of Death has been issued on DVD at an aspect ratio of 1:33:1. Curiously, during the Q&A featurette Mastorakis states that the ratio should be 1:85:1 and on the audio commentary suggests that Arrow should crop the transfer for a 16X9 presentation"

Island of Death "review" @ 10k Bullets (http://10kbullets.com/reviews/i/island-of-death-arrow-video/)

Why, oh why, when you've got the film's director telling you how the film should look and what the OAR was, would a company still release the damn thing open matte? There was the directive from Nico himself: "I shot it for 1.85, and it should be released that way". Which is what I said on the PR mouthpiece forums, but promptly got shot down for saying so by the "amen chorus", as well as my posts tagged as invisible by the admin so that external viewers can't see my comments (you have to be logged in as a member to see them).

But what did the consumer get against the director's request? Arrow: "That's alright Nico, you can say what you like but I think we know best and we'll be releasing it 4:3 to keep a couple of dribbling twats happy (and so that we don't have to pay to strike a new 16:9 telecine and master) thank you very much". Respect for the films and the fans...or respect for the dollars they're bleeding out of a niche market? Hmmm... :think:

I think I'll buy the Code Red re-release of Savage Streets instead of the UK version. Makes more sense to me to give my money to people who give a shit... ;)

Mark Tolch
05-04-2011, 06:30 AM
Chris P., who apparently knows and has hung out with Calum, wrote on AVM that Calum brought Bryce on board for this release. That, coupled with the comments about that film festival and the fact that Waddell still writes for Dark Side? Well, as I've said, I don't think that our descriptions of "appalled" are the same.

Mike T
05-04-2011, 07:17 AM
Well Mark, I think the message being projected from some quarters is this: "Drop it, get over it, move on. So they fleeced online writers for years and got away with it, so what? Who cares?"

I think there's something in that for all of us, don't you? ;)

Mark Tolch
05-04-2011, 07:45 AM
Well Mark, I think the message being projected from some quarters is this: "Drop it, get over, move on. So they fleeced online writers for years and got away with it, so what? Who cares?"

I think there's something in that for all of us, don't you? ;)

I am a little surprised at the indifference being displayed, but then again, that seems to happen with any "community"....people just don't give a shit. Oh well, at least i'm more informed now, and a wise man once told me that knowing is half the battle.

Alex K.
05-04-2011, 08:22 AM
... That's more special features and prestige than I thought Slaughter High would ever get.

Mike T
05-04-2011, 08:38 AM
I am a little surprised at the indifference being displayed, but then again, that seems to happen with any "community"....people just don't give a shit. Oh well, at least i'm more informed now, and a wise man once told me that knowing is half the battle.

Oh, for sure -- and I'm not saying I agree with any of it. The indifference, negativity, and underlying belligerence towards people who don't "tow the company line" astounds me.

But let's look at it another way: the last time I tried to alert anyone (elsewhere) as to the activities of Arrow's contractors, and Arrow's general "not interested as third parties don't represent our views blah blah blah" couldn't care less attitude, my posts were censored and I was sent a polite [sarcasm] private message advising to drop the issue, told they were "getting heat" over the truths I'd posted, an insinuation that I suffered some pathological mental illness for trying to bring some balance to people's concerns, and the threat of an outright permanent ban if I posted a solitary other word about said contractors. Thus, I left -- as I suffer bigots lightly. But as Mirek always says: the truth will out in the end. ;)

Ian Jane
05-04-2011, 09:26 AM
The very fact that some of those affected by the whole Dark Side issue are suggesting those of us concerned by Bryce's presence is very disturbing to me.

Mark Tolch
05-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Well, I think that i'm done posting over there on that topic....Chris Poggiali basically just told me that I was naive for not buying the product, and Troy is talking about people crying boycott and salivating at the mouth over guilt by association. Then i realized...I don't have a horse in this race, outside of the fact that I have friends who were affected, and that I find plagiarism to be despicable. Ergo, I have no reason to defend this Waddell person.

Mike T
05-04-2011, 09:36 AM
The very fact that some of those affected by the whole Dark Side issue are suggesting those of us concerned by Bryce's presence is very disturbing to me.

I think it speaks volumes about their characters, to be honest. ;)

Horace Cordier
05-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Well, I think that i'm done posting over there on that topic....Chris Poggiali basically just told me that I was naive for not buying the product, and Troy is talking about people crying boycott and salivating at the mouth over guilt by association. Then i realized...I don't have a horse in this race, outside of the fact that I have friends who were affected, and that I find plagiarism to be despicable. Ergo, I have no reason to defend this Waddell person.

I, however, have never forgiven that hack Waddy for his hatchet job on Deodato and his despicable defenses of that creep Bryce. Some very good friends of mine were ripped off in that DS scam and I am going to call bullshit when I see it. I am even backing Mirek over there because, despite our differences, he was a CRUCIAL player in the unveiling of that DARK SIDE bs.

I guess I do have a horse in this race - and a dog in this fight.

Ian Jane
05-04-2011, 10:20 AM
It'll be interesting to see who contributes to future releases and to what extent they are involved.

Mark Tolch
05-04-2011, 10:31 AM
yeah, that's kinda what i was thinking. I'm just glad that I did some digging into this, otherwise i would've just taken that post from Chris that Calum was appalled by what happened at his word.

Mike T
05-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Calum was appalled by what happened...

If that were the case, he wouldn't have been such a defender of Bryce when it all broke - threatened people with legal action (http://www.sexgoremutants.co.uk/defam.html) - picked fights with people who could call him out - posted on forums that Bryce is a "good friend" of his - invited Bryce to film festivals as a guest - continued working and writing for Bryce after the fact, etc etc etc. As you said, obviously "appalled" means different things to different folks, depending on which side their bread's buttered. ;)

Ian Jane
05-04-2011, 12:17 PM
... That's more special features and prestige than I thought Slaughter High would ever get.

Ha, just caught this. It's waaaay more than I expected, that's for sure. I know some people love this movie. I'm not one of them. It's fun and all, perfectly entertaining and of course its fanbase should be happy that Arrow is obviously putting a lot into it.

Kevin Coed
05-05-2011, 06:35 AM
Various things said in this thread warm the cockles of my heart....

Mike T
05-05-2011, 07:45 AM
Back to the film at hand: I remember Fangoria doing lots of features on the SFX makeup work of Peter Litten and George Dugdale in the day, and tracking down every film they wrote about -- only to discover that, apart from those FX, the films were largely all uniformly awful. Underworld, Rawhead Rex, Slaughter High, Don't Open Till Christmas...all particularly naff. I think The Last Horror Film was the only thing they worked on that I thought was something modestly approaching okay...Funny how cults build up around films over the years.

Ian Jane
05-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Last Horror Film was well done, I thought. Slaughter High is amusing enough and all, but I've never understood why it seems to be as popular as it is to be honest.

I remember really liking Rawhead Rex the first time I saw it, but that was when I was a teenager and figured everything Clive Barker related was awesome no matter what. I haven't seen it since.

Mike T
05-05-2011, 09:31 AM
...but that was when I was a teenager and figured everything Clive Barker related was awesome no matter what.

Glad to see someone else went through that phase (it was late teens-early twenties for me). See also: Tobe Hooper, Wes Craven, George Romero, Tom Savini, Jamie Lee Curtis...Danielle Harris...no, wait...

Mike T
05-05-2011, 01:45 PM
So while we're on all things Arrow, I found this comparison piece on their BD of The Beyond...

http://blubrew.com/2011/04/26/the-beyond/

...does it really look as bad as those screengrabs are suggesting? Between the DNR and digital artefacting that's a pretty shit transfer for Blu-ray if it is. And they still got the colour of the prologue sequence wrong, haha...

These are screenshots from the Anchor Bay DVD (which was progressive, btw), which was also the same master for the Grindhouse disc, and this is the colour range they should have been aiming for when they corrected the tint on the prologue (note how there's a "golden" quality to the highlights, as Salvati intended?). These haven't been doctored in anyway -- they've just been captured, converted to jpeg and uploaded, that's it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/whitedragon68/beyondabdvd000.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/whitedragon68/beyondabdvd001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/whitedragon68/beyondabdvd002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/whitedragon68/beyondabdvd003.jpg

Ian Jane
05-05-2011, 02:34 PM
They haven't sent me a replacement disc yet so I can't offer much input there.

Mike T
05-05-2011, 02:37 PM
They haven't sent me a replacement disc yet so I can't offer much input there.

That's okay. But at least now you've got some piccies as reference for when they do (but do you ever get the feeling that, as you broke the news they stuffed up big time, you might be waiting a while for a corrected disc?).

Ian Jane
05-05-2011, 03:15 PM
That, and the ignored emails, do give me that feeling, yes.

Mike T
05-06-2011, 01:15 AM
That, and the ignored emails, do give me that feeling, yes.

Whoops! And here I was just joking, in reference to the manner in which Arrow and their mouthpieces tend to respond negatively to any criticism. :(
If that's true though, I think it says a LOT about the company as a whole - here's screeners and promo material, but don't in any way criticise anything or we'll cut you off pronto!
Funny that they still see fit to forward you oodles of other material, but not a replacement for the disc You alerted cyberspace had a Major flaw in its transfer. Hmmm... :think:

Ian Jane
05-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Oodles? No, most stuff just shows up randomly.

Ian Jane
05-11-2011, 10:28 AM
So I haven't seen any mention of the controversy surrounding the Bryce connection mentioned at the CL boards, nor have I seen any mention of whether or not Slaughter High will be uncut or not.

Mark Tolch
05-11-2011, 10:39 AM
isn't the CL board pretty much run by Arrow? it would make sense that people over there wouldn't be concerned with it. or maybe it's been brought up and closed down?

Ian Jane
05-11-2011, 10:52 AM
It's run by their PR firm, yes.

Mike T
05-11-2011, 10:57 AM
So I haven't seen any mention of the controversy surrounding the Bryce connection mentioned at the CL boards...

Oh, it was mentioned alright -- but they shut it down pretty fast with a threats at, inclusive of banning, the person who brought it up (good old Ben Gart trying to do the right thing). Go to the last few pages of the below thread and you'll see what I mean...

How to muzzle your critics and defend a known plagiarist (http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/slaughter-high/5496-slaughter-high-%C2%96-archive-conversation.html)

Hope that helps, as well as clarifies Arrow's (and their PR firm, The Associates) stance on the matter. ;)

Ian Jane
05-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Interesting, I hadn't seen that. So they've basically outlawed discussion of his involvement there.

Mike T
05-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Bingo! ;)

PS: Welcome to "the friendliest forum on the web" -- where freedom of speech and expressing a difference of opinion is outlawed.
PPS: There's good reason that a number of genre people in the UK refer to the internet presence as "Cu*t Labs"...

Mark Tolch
05-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Huh....so it's okay to close a thread day after the "ruckus" and then re-open other ones? Well, call me a moralist crusader, but I'm not going to support this company, PERIOD. Bunch of revisionists who are clearly going to do whatever it takes to make money off of the release. I hope that they take a huge hit on it and learn their lesson.

As for Calum Waddell, thanks for pointing us to the thread, Mike. His post about Bryce making "no royalties" from the release, that he was only brought in because he had Caroline Munro, that he "took the day off of work"...."but i wonder why?". Like really, apparently expects that the rest of the world is so dimwitted that they'll believe this nonsense. Actually, according to the response of cult-labs, a lot of them are that naive.

Ian Jane
05-11-2011, 11:47 AM
I understand and respect Arrow's need to profit off of as many of their releases as possible. This is why home video is an industry and not an artform and they are entitled to make as much money as they are able to off of any release they so choose. This is how it works, and how capitalist society functions. People are employed, earn a living, suppor a family and all that good stuff BECAUSE companies make money.

That said, the same freedoms that allow companies to make money allow consumers to take issue with products and companies and that's where this gets tricky for those who cannot take the criticisms and who must insist that discussion stay positive.

Reality check - there's NOTHING positive about employing an unapologetic and convicted (yes, there was at least one case that did manage to get the courts involved) plagerist on your product. Those who know the details (and the numbers will grow) will voice their opinions on the matter and this is a decision that, for many fans, will stain the product. There are people at Arrow who are very good at following online chatter relating to their products, so they no doubt know this has spread to a few other forums by this point. It'll be interesting to see what, if any, spill out there is over this and if the voices are loud enough to exclude Bryce from participation in future releases until he and his cronies own up and make ammends for what was done.

Six years isn't that long in the grand scheme of things and some of us have very good memories.

Mike T
05-11-2011, 01:14 PM
...that he was only brought in because he had Caroline Munro, that he "took the day off of work"...."but i wonder why?".

I'm sure anyone in the know could have arranged an interview with Ms. Munro, as it's been stated elsewhere that she's not exactly elusive or reclusive. The ideal party would have been Jonathan Sothcott, who's worked on numerous British cult releases, as at least his name isn't stained with being a plagiarist. And yeah, pretty easy to "take the day off work"...when you work for yourself (as Bryce has mentioned, in print no less, that the genre stuff is "sideline" to his own business; he claimed real estate or property speculation, but I'd take that with a pinch of salt...since we ALL know how honest the man is).

As for Arrow following...I'm sure they are, but their generic response is that third parties don't represent their views or opinions and they don't take any responsibility for what's said by those people. That's what myself, and others, have been told via email when raising issues directly with Arrow...so while they're probably watching, it's unlikely they'll actually do anything.

Kevin Coed
05-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Unfortunately not that many in the UK seem to care about the whole plagiarism thing. it's quite disheartening.
And as far as I know, bryce doesn't have a job to take the day off from. he's a property developer.

Mike T
05-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Six years isn't that long in the grand scheme of things and some of us have very good memories.

In the case of copyright (here's what applies to me (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_copyright_law)), no...six years is nothing really. Especially in the instance of myself, for example, where I retain ownership of both copyright and moral rights to my works for up to seventy years after I'm dead. Say I live another forty years: that means anything I've written, and published in the short-term, remains my intellectual property for the next 110 years. So, no, six years isn't that long at all...in the grand (copyright) scheme of things. ;)

Kevin Coed
05-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Just noticed Ian also mentioned bryce's 'day job' - my computer is down so I'm browsing on my phone.

Horace Cordier
05-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Oh, it was mentioned alright -- but they shut it down pretty fast with a threats at, inclusive of banning, the person who brought it up (good old Ben Gart trying to do the right thing). Go to the last few pages of the below thread and you'll see what I mean...

How to muzzle your critics and defend a known plagiarist (http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/slaughter-high/5496-slaughter-high-%C2%96-archive-conversation.html)
Hope that helps, as well as clarifies Arrow's (and their PR firm, The Associates) stance on the matter. ;)

Thanks for the blood pressure spike Mike.

I guess spitting out cold hard facts is now "bashing"? Idiots.

And gotta love Calum with ANOTHER defense of that creep Bryce in there. I'm like Conan The Barbarian when it comes to Bryce and Waddy - no retreat, no surrender.

Luckily I have no great love for SLAUGHTER HIGH (profoundly overrated in my book I like HORROR HIGH better) so I can do the right thing here AND feel good about it. The FUNHOUSE Blu is a bit more problematical for me but at least no Bryce there. Thank God.

Mark Tolch
05-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Yeah, but is it a defense, or is it not a defense? Nobody can tell.....

Horace Cordier
05-12-2011, 01:22 AM

I just know I'm appalled. Appalled I tell you.

APPALLED!!

Mike T
05-12-2011, 03:24 AM

Really? I thought jumping to and saying "without him X wouldn't have happened" or "he took the day off work to do X" when said thief's name was brought into question was a pretty obvious rush to his defense. If he didn't feel the need to defend him, he couldn't have just written nothing at all -- but the boy persists in jumping to Bryce's defense the instant anything bad is said about him. ;)

Mark Tolch
05-12-2011, 06:41 AM
Sorry, Mike, I didn't have the Sarcasm key pressed when I typed that. :-). It was a "defend him or don't defend him, don't think that we're too stupid to figure it out".

Mike T
05-12-2011, 08:39 AM
Sorry, Mike, I didn't have the Sarcasm key pressed when I typed that. :-).

My bad -- I'm dumb like that sometimes! :blush:

Horace Cordier
05-12-2011, 09:52 AM
And I am still appalled.

Really fucking so I may add!

Ian Jane
05-26-2011, 09:51 AM
Reverse cover art for Slaughter High...

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j438/Film365/AV_Slaughter-High_DVD_s2_72dpi.jpg

Mark Tolch
05-26-2011, 01:12 PM
"Take a trip through the perils of plagiarism!"

Mike T
08-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Btw, did anyone end up buying (or getting a hold of as a screener) The Funhouse BD? If it ever comes down in price at Amazon UK I'm in two frames of mind about buying it, if a) the attention whore isn't all over it and b) it's a decent quality release against of their other recent rubbish releases.

Currently it's sitting at GBP16.99 on Amazon UK, and that's just stupid money when you take into consideration that the Triple-Play (BD/DVD/DC) edition of Sucker Punch retailed at GBP13.99 (and I paid GBP11.60 after VAT was removed; as you can't charge VAT outside of the UK). I'd rather NOT pay almost $30AUD for a thirty year old B-movie programmer, when I can get the latest blockbusters for around $18AUD and pay an average of $10AUD or less for recent horror films. Hence, I'd like to hear back if it's okay and then I'll keep an eye out for a dramatic price-drop if it proves to be okay. Of course, if it has no subtitles it's instantly dead in the water...

Jeff D
08-18-2011, 04:29 AM
They sent one for review to my site. I liked it a lot. I'm far from an expert but the transfer looked solid to my eyeballs and I also enjoyed Reardon's commentary. It was a nice package. http://cinemaheadcheese.blogspot.com/2011/08/movie-review-funhouse-blu-ray.html

Mike T
08-18-2011, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the link Jeff, much appreciated :)

Ian Jane
04-24-2018, 11:38 AM
Koch Media have this lined up for release in Germany.

Source (http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=304973).

- Audio commentary by Tobe Hooper
- Audio commentary by Craig Reardon and Jeffrey Reddick
- Audio commentary by Derek Power and Howard S. Berger
- Audio commentary by Justin Kerswell
- Interview "Carnage At The Carnival" with Tobe Hooper
- Interview "Miles Of Mayham" with actor Miles Chapin
- Interview "The Barker Speaks" with actor Kevin Conway
- Interview "A Trilogy Of Terror" with special fx artist Craig Reardon
- Interview "Masterclass Of Horror" with Mick Garris
- Interview "Something Wicked This Way Comes" with procucer Mark L. Lester
- Audio interview with actor William Finley
- Q&A with Tobe Hooper