PDA

View Full Version : Tolch is gonna need to take out a loan

Horace Cordier
05-11-2011, 02:03 AM
http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=72816&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Holy shit.

Mark Tolch
05-11-2011, 07:56 AM
Well......this is a dicey one for me. I'm a HUGE Pink Floyd fan, as just about everyone knows. My first experience of Floyd was through vinyl. I later bought some cassettes, and then some of the CDs....after which i bought the Shine On boxed set. That was remastered, but essentially contained the existing CD versions of Piper at the Gates of Dawn and the Final Cut, and was missing Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother. I also owned the Division Bell on CD and saw the tour.

Later bought Ummagumma (remastered) when i went to the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. I have numerous bootlegs of shows, and DVD boots of the album quad mixes.

That being said.....although the remastered version of The Final Cut was miles better than the CD version that existed prior, it still doesn't touch the vinyl version, readily available for about a buck in any used record bin. The fact is that most of those remasters don't touch the vinyl versions. I have a little bit of interest in some of those Immersion sets, because of the material, but I own the SACD of Dark Side of the Moon, and have the quad mixes on DVD of Dark Side and Wish You were here. Ultimately, the quality of that concert footage is what's going to be the breaking point for me. But I will not spend 100 dollars on each set, and will not be picking up that complete studio set. It's not feasible...and it's not something that i can do on principle. I'm happy for new Floyd Fans who can grab that set and get "everything", but i've sunk enough money into that band that i can hang back with my records and enjoy the music. :)

Ian Jane
05-17-2011, 09:02 AM
I was looking at those Immersion Editions on Amazon yesterday and you know what? I'm not a huge Floyd fan but the Dark Side of the Moon one is tempting (I do like that album a lot more these days for whatever reason). I won't pay $125 for it, but that's a fucking super sweet looking package.

Mark Tolch
05-17-2011, 11:39 AM
The thing with Dark Side is that it's a lot of cash...but it's got the album, which, who cares...it's also got the surround mixes on blu, which is a huge selling point for fans, the Parsons one was only available in a boot for the most part....and that concert is the first official release. There's some great stuff on there. All in all, when you consider that it sells for cheaper than what some boxed sets sell for, and has twice the material...granted it's really only for fans, but it's pretty rad.

Ian Jane
05-17-2011, 11:42 AM
This is how the record industry needs to reorganize itself to keep the sales of physical media alive. You can't get that with a download. I don't necessarily mean they need to go the fancy ass expensive boxed set route but rather to cater to collectors, give people a reason to want to own a physical copy of something. I'm not even a huge Floyd fan at all but looking at the specs and packaging... I want to own that so they did something right.

Mark Tolch
05-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Interesting that you should mention that, because in the news and here and there, people are talking about these releases vs. the EMI releases of the Beatles material.....which was, Here's your albums. No extras, no nothing. In digipaks, you lemmings. No cost spared.

Ian Jane
05-17-2011, 12:05 PM
And considering the amount of extra stuff they could and should have packed into that Beatles set, it's pretty disappointing (for those who care, at least).

Mark Tolch
05-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Yeah, for sure. Those like Noland. He loves the Beatles.

Nolando
05-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Eat. My. Dick.

Mark Tolch
05-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Is it because John Lennon was part tiger shark?

Nolando
05-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Perhaps - a tiger shark pussy, maybe.

Mark Tolch
05-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Dude, he is THE GREATEST SINGER/SONGWRITER THIS WORLD HAS EVER SEEN.

Haha. I love how actual angry you get over the Beatles, Nolando.

Horace Cordier
05-18-2011, 01:51 AM
Aside from "Abbey Road" and a few tracks here and there the BEATLES bore me into a coma. I'm a HENDRIX and WHO man if we are doing that era myself.

And "Dark Side Of The Moon" is really overplayed in my world so screw that set. Funnily enough I have spent so many years avoiding "The Wall" that I may actually be able to go back to that one soon!

What I will be grabbing out of this group is that "Wish You Were Here" set - I am actually drooling a bit on that one.

But what I really want is fucking "Animals" - I LOVE THAT ALBUM!!

Mark Tolch
05-18-2011, 06:41 AM
Word is that an Animals set may be on the way. :-)

I'm the opposite on the WALL/DARK SIDE, I've heard the Wall Soooooo many goddam times. Besides, I already have the majority of the stuff on there. That WYWH release looks amazing though. And with a concert featuring the start of those Animals tracks...yikes.

I can get both of those sets for less thhan the Alice Cooper box, btw. :D

Roderick
06-02-2011, 11:17 PM
I can get both of those sets for less thhan the Alice Cooper box, btw. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFuPl-wv_AA

Roderick
06-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Four tracks streaming here: https://alicecooper.com/pre-order

Tracklistings

Treasures One
1. No Price Tag (Spiders)
2. Nobody Likes Me (Demo)
3. On a Train Trip (Sing Low Sweet Cheerio) (Demo)
4. Reflected (Demo)
5. Easy Action Version Two (Radio ad)
6. Mr and Misdemeanor (Chicago Underground)
7. Fields of Regret (Chicago Underground)
8. I'm Eighteen (Chicago Underground)
9. Love It To Death (Radio ad)
10. I'm Eighteen (Pre-production)
11. Be My Lover (Demo)
12. Killer (Demo)
13. Halo of Flies (Demo)
14. Tornado Warning (Desperado) (Demo)
15. Killer (Radio Ad)
16. Is It My Body (Live in Seattle, 1971)

Treasures Two
1. Akron Rubber Bowl Ad (Radio Ad)
2. School's Out (Mar Y Sol, Puerto Rico)
3. Kids Session (School's Out Kids Session)
4. Outtakes / Luney Tune (Pre-production)
5. Outtakes / My Stars (Pre- production)
6. School's Out (Demo)
7. Under My Wheels (Live at Madison Square Garden)
8. Teenage Lament '74 (Demo)
9. Never Been Sold Before (Demo)
10. Working Up a Sweat (Demo)
11. Muscle of Love (Pre-production)
12. Teenage Lament '74 (Pre-production)
13. Muscle of Love (Radio Ad)
14. Good To See You Alice Cooper (Radio Ad)
15. Muscle of Love (Rio)
16. Greatest Hits (Radio Ad)

In Their Own Words
Alice Cooper Spoken Word Disc

Bootleg CD (Killer Live in St. Louis, 1971)
1. Intro
2. Be My Lover (Intro)
3. Be My Lover
4. You Drive Me Nervous
5. Yeah, Yeah, Yeah
6. I'm Eighteen
7. Halo of Flies
8. Is It My Body
9. Dead Babies
10. Killer
11. Long Way To Go
12. Under My Wheels

7'' Single (Nazz)
1. Wonder Who's Loving Her Now
2. Lay Down and Die, Goodbye

Bootleg Vinyl (Killer Live in St. Louis, 1971)
Side A
1. Intro
2. Be My lover (Intro)
3. Be My Lover
4. You Drive Me Nervous
5. Yeah, Yeah, Yeah
6. I'm Eighteen
7. Halo of Flies

Side B
1. Is It My Body
2. Dead Babies
3. Killer
4. Long Way To Go

Mark Tolch
06-03-2011, 06:49 AM
See, demos are cool to hear once or twice cause hey, why not. But I don't need to listen to thm over and over. Anyway, that's not enough "good" material to justify the cost.

Horace Cordier
06-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Well, it looks like I'm the one who is gonna need to take out a loan. Just pre-ordered all THREE of the FLOYD mega-sets, the Cooper box, a MEGADETH - Peace Sells mega-box AND the Ozzy Blizzard/Diary box just came in yesterday.

Now I need a turntable.:pistols:

Mark Tolch
06-03-2011, 09:31 AM
You sir, are a dumbass.

Horace Cordier
06-03-2011, 01:47 PM
You sir, are a dumbass.

Fucking fair-weather fans like you are the reason the Music Industry is dying. Cheap bastard. I'm proud to keep these suits rolling in coke and limos.

Mark Tolch
06-03-2011, 02:24 PM
I'm talking about buying vinyl without having a turntable. I've got two. Who's the fairfuckinweather fan of music now, douchenut?

Horace Cordier
06-03-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm talking about buying vinyl without having a turntable. I've got two. Who's the fairfuckinweather fan of music now, douchenut?

I was buying vinyl when you were still soiling your nappies and listening to the Backstreet Boys junior. Spare me the pro-vinyl rap. Its a luxury item now for yuppies and tech-nerds. :rolleyes:

This practice of dumping LPs in these massive box sets is beyond annoying - the Lps should be sold and marketed to people that collect that format. Why on earth someone would want Lp copies of Ozzy's first 2 albums in a box that already has CDS OF THOSE ALBUMS WITH BONUS TRACKS INCLUDED is bullshit. Its simply an excuse to jack another 50 bucks on the price tag. I actually commend the label handling the FLOYD stuff for not doing this lp crap.

The COOPER, OZZY and MEGADETH sets all have lps that mimic cds in those sets. The lps should be sold separately. Period.

And the labels wonder why consumers hate them? Its shit like this!

Mark Tolch
06-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Luxury item? I've had the same record player for well over 20 years. I do think its funny now though that you can go into an HMV and buy a copy of Straight Outta Compton on LP...for 40 bucks. :-D

But I hear ya...cash grab for hipsters, plain and simple... And don't you only have like 2 years on me, Daddy-O? :-)

Nolando
06-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Hey, I'm a tech nerd! I spent $40 on my turntable 12 years ago and it's been good to me. So much of what I listen to now comes out as 7" that I kinda need it to, you know, be a snob about music in addition to beer. And movies. And bourbon.

Ian Jane
06-06-2011, 08:40 AM
I think the idea of issuing stuff on vinyl WITH a download code is a good one. And I understand what Noland means, a lot of rad stuff coming out on 7" only these days from a lot of good labels. Yeah, it may get reissued on CD down the road and yeah you could get the MP3s instead, but I like physical media and I don't always want to wait for a CD reissue.