PDA

View Full Version : Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse

Ian Jane
06-07-2018, 08:49 AM
For some reason an animated Spider-Man movie appeals to me more than a live action one.

I'll still probably never see it, but hey look, a trailer.

"Enter a universe where more than one wears the mask. Watch the Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse trailer now, At cinemas December 2018.

Phil Lord and Chris Miller, the creative minds behind “The Lego Movie” and “21 Jump Street,” bring their unique talents to a fresh vision of a different Spider-Man Universe, with a groundbreaking visual style that’s the first of its kind. “Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse” introduces Brooklyn teen Miles Morales, and the limitless possibilities of the Spider-Verse, where more than one can wear the mask."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aiy0KvFXgSA

JoeS
01-15-2019, 02:43 PM
A fourth Spider-Man boot in two decades is hardly necessary, but, that proviso aside SPIDER-VERSE is a lot of fun.

The three-headed Directing (plus Writer-Producer Phil Lord) have come up with a fast-paced (if still too long) animated feature that can stand on its own (but, of course, will be sequelized and, eventually, folded into some edition of the Marvel universe). It's a more complicated story than your typical family oriented fare, and has some genuine sci-fi content.

The plot involves quantum physics which allows for multiple Spider...Men, women, teens and even Spider-swine! This verse is genuinely multi-ethnic with Black, Hispanic, Asian and a number of major female characters (and did I mention the pig?). The voice cast is solid, with some interesting choices such as Lily Tomlin, Kathryn Hahn and Nicholas Cage. One false note is Jake Johnson's Peter B. Parker - he comes off as a PG-rated jaded Deadpool knockoff.

The animation is made to simulate the look and feel of an inked comic book, and is bright and splashy without being too overwhelming (tip: sit towards the back of the theater). The music is energetic if not terribly inspired, at least not in comparison to the graphics. All in all, an entertaining companion to the Spider-man universe. And, the touching mid-credits tribute to Stan Lee & Steve Ditko is nice grace note.

Darcy Parker
01-16-2019, 11:35 PM
With the positive response I’ve seen this movie is getting, it really pisses me off that they used that same stilted, choppy animation style that a lot of Netflix animated stuff is using. I can’t watch anything like that for more than a few seconds without it triggering a migraine.

Scott
01-17-2019, 12:34 AM
I'll still probably never see it, but hey look, a trailer.

I love you. I'll probably never see it either.

It's great to see them starting to embrace things like Peter Porker. I always thought a Spider-Ham cartoon was a no-brainer. I can see kids going nuts for it, similar to Rocket Racoon.

JoeS
01-17-2019, 02:58 AM
With the positive response I’ve seen this movie is getting, it really pisses me off that they used that same stilted, choppy animation style that a lot of Netflix animated stuff is using. I can’t watch anything like that for more than a few seconds without it triggering a migraine.

I'm not always crazy for that choppy animation technique, but, it's cleverly integrated here. As I noted, they gave it the texture of an ink & paper comic book. Call it the exception that proves the rule, or something. It works here.

And, if you go - also heed my advice to sit pretty far back. Helps from 'triggering a migraine'. ;)

Darcy Parker
01-17-2019, 10:27 PM
I'm not always crazy for that choppy animation technique, but, it's cleverly integrated here. As I noted, they gave it the texture of an ink & paper comic book. Call it the exception that proves the rule, or something. It works here.

And, if you go - also heed my advice to sit pretty far back. Helps from 'triggering a migraine'. ;)

Thanks for the tips, but it won’t help. I actually see a neurologist quarterly and am on the pilot availability for a new protein-blocker to try to manage the migraines I get. The only safe seat if I don’t want to be in debilitating pain is in a theatre showing something entirely different. :|

willpak
01-18-2019, 08:25 PM
I saw this with my 7 year old and really enjoyed it. It's exciting, funny and has a pretty sweet hip-hop heavy soundtrack.

Alex K.
02-21-2019, 05:20 PM
I finally saw this when I was bored. It's fucking great. Easily the best Spider Man movie and I'm not a huge fan of the character.