PDA

View Full Version : Neil Blomkamp To Direct New Robocop Movie

Ian Jane
07-11-2018, 02:33 PM
Reportedly based on an unmade sequel to the original..

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/07/neill-blomkamp-direct-robocop-returns-1201983089/

“District 9” and “Elysium” director Neill Blomkamp has signed on to direct MGM’s “RoboCop Returns,” a sequel to Paul Verhoeven’s 1987 cyberpunk classic (via Deadline). Original screenwriters Edward Neumeier and Michael Miner are producing the movie, which will be based on their original spec script for a sequel to Verhoeven’s film that never got made. Justin Rhodes, a co-writer on Tim Miller’s upcoming “Terminator” sequel, is rewriting the script.

“RoboCop” starred Peter Weller as an injured cop who is turned into a cyborg law enforcement officer programmed to wipe out crime in the Detroit area. The cop’s memories of his human life resurface and cause a malfunction with his new technology. MGM tried to reboot “RoboCop” in 2014 with director Jose Padilha and star Joel Kinnaman but the film disappointed at the domestic box office.

More at the link.

Derrick King
07-11-2018, 02:52 PM
Huh. I guess this will be RoboCop: Corporate Wars? Here is the RoboCop Archive's section on Corporate Wars (http://robocoparchive.com/archive/feature-robocop2-retro0.htm)

JoeS
07-11-2018, 03:35 PM

JLG
07-11-2018, 04:27 PM
kinda think Neill Blomkamp could do a good Robocop.

Robocop should not be PG-13 tho

agent999
07-11-2018, 05:27 PM
Robocop should not be PG-13 tho

Agreed, the last two movies and TV series have shown that Robocop doesn't work when diluted. I'm hoping this is more District 9 than Chappie, and the social commentary not as obvious as Elysium. That is if the studio leaves any social commentary in it.

Darcy Parker
07-12-2018, 12:20 AM
Agreed, the last two movies and TV series have shown that Robocop doesn't work when diluted. I'm hoping this is more District 9 than Chappie, and the social commentary not as obvious as Elysium. That is if the studio leaves any social commentary in it.

Nah, to hide Blomkamp’s hackery they absolutely need Die Antwoort cast as Murphy and Lewis!

agent999
07-12-2018, 02:55 AM
As long as Sharlto Copley doesn't play Murphy: 'Oi, Boykie, put down yer weapon'.

Ian Jane
07-12-2018, 10:48 AM
He says he's going for an R rating on this one.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3509510/neill-blomkamp-promises-robocop-returns-will-rated-r/

The Silly Swede
07-12-2018, 01:24 PM
I am glad they are totally ignoring the horrible remake from a few years ago.

But this is still totally unneeded. Why do they keep on doing this? I mean, none of these sequel/remakes of classics are good or profitable. (Total Recall, Robocop, Terminator with C. Bale, Miami Vice, etc etc etc )

Darcy Parker
07-14-2018, 10:12 PM
I am glad they are totally ignoring the horrible remake from a few years ago.

But this is still totally unneeded. Why do they keep on doing this? I mean, none of these sequel/remakes of classics are good or profitable. (Total Recall, Robocop, Terminator with C. Bale, Miami Vice, etc etc etc )

Miami Vice was a very good movie and it turned a profit.

Mark Tolch
07-14-2018, 11:02 PM
Trying to figure out why I should give a fuck about Neil Blomkamp anymore. He made ONE GOOD MOVIE. Who fucking cares? Everyone acted like he was the second coming when he was doing an Alien movie, and it never happened. Now he might be doing a Robocop movie that won't touch the original. Woooo!

Darcy Parker
07-14-2018, 11:47 PM
Trying to figure out why I should give a fuck about Neil Blomkamp anymore. He made ONE GOOD MOVIE. Who fucking cares? Everyone acted like he was the second coming when he was doing an Alien movie, and it never happened. Now he might be doing a Robocop movie that won't touch the original. Woooo!

I couldn’t say it better myself. Blomkamp would be a great cinematographer or effects director, but his attempts to make message movies when he appears to have the sociopolitical understanding of a stoned 13-year old really make me not to ever see anything he directs ever again.

JoeS
07-15-2018, 02:50 AM

And, even that movie is highly overrated. It was all premise, no hat. Sure, great idea to symbolize apartheid with aliens - but, it really never did anything with the metaphor. Treating minorities poorly is bad. Deep.

The Silly Swede
07-15-2018, 06:28 AM
I am in agreement with the all three of yous!

Miami Vice was a very good movie and it turned a profit.

It is a decent film at least in the directors cut version, and no, it wasn't even close to turning a profit.

Mark Tolch
07-15-2018, 12:19 PM
Ha! I was worried I was coming off as a little harsh, I guess not!

Alex K.
07-15-2018, 09:14 PM
I remain optimistic.

Mark Tolch
07-15-2018, 09:18 PM
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'.

Alex K.
07-15-2018, 09:24 PM
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'.

https://i.imgur.com/pVdCsqe.gif

Mark Tolch
07-15-2018, 09:27 PM