PDA

View Full Version : Bad Robot's Overlord

Ian Jane
07-19-2018, 09:00 AM
"Directed by Julius Avery from a script by Billy Ray and Mark L. Smith, Overlord follows a small group of U.S. paratroopers shot down behind enemy lines in France, where they discover a secret German compound, home to horrific experiments intended to create a “thousand-year army.”"

https://www.cbr.com/overlord-teaser-trailer-not-cloverfield/

It's not Cloverfield 4 as some speculated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv-cIdGwXXk

SuperDevilDoctor
07-19-2018, 10:05 AM
Incredibly stupid historical fuck-up right from the get-go.

African-Americans were not allowed to serve with whites in U.S. combat units during WWII... Most certainly not the paratroopers. The armed forces were racially segregated.

Yes, this is a horror flick, but it has a definite historical setting.

I am by no means one of those ridiculous "anti-PC" zealots, but this is just stupid... Makes about as much sense as a film showing Mongolians or Maoris serving in Napoleon's army in 1812.

All they had to do was set this film during the Korean or Vietnam wars, using Chinese or Russians instead of evil German scientists. (The U.S. Army was integrated by that time.)

But the Nazis have cooler looking uniforms... and they didn't have to hire a bunch of Asian actors.

Fuck this movie.

Paul L
07-19-2018, 12:54 PM
And here I was, hoping this thread would be about Stuart Cooper's underrated 1975 film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7TJea3S160

Ian Jane
10-08-2018, 10:52 AM
At least it's not a Cloverfield film (at least I don't think it is).

"With only hours until D-Day, a team of American paratroopers (Wyatt Russell, Iain De Caestecker, Jovan Adepo, John Magaro) drop into Nazi-occupied France to carry out a mission that’s crucial to the invasion's success. Tasked with destroying a radio transmitter atop a fortified church, the desperate soldiers join forces with a young French villager to penetrate the walls and take down the tower. But, in a mysterious Nazi lab beneath the church, the outnumbered G.I.s come face-to-face with enemies unlike any the world has ever seen. From producer J.J. Abrams, Overlord is a thrilling, pulse-pounding action adventure with a twist."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNrQBHp6mxI

Ian Jane
11-26-2018, 10:48 AM
Coming 1/1/19.

Alex K.
11-26-2018, 12:27 PM
I heard good things about this one. Too bad it flopped pretty hard.

The Silly Swede
11-26-2018, 05:19 PM
I really liked this. I had extremely low expectations though, so that helped.

I feel they got the tone of it just right.

Dick Ringeisen
11-26-2018, 09:00 PM
I saw this, and thought it was a decent time. Nothing super, but, decent. Average.

What helped for me, was I read a short blurb in a review somewhere, that it is more of a war movie, than horror. I didn't read the entire review, just a bit of it, before it gave anything away. That line in the review helped me a bit, as I was expecting a lot of horror, and monsters, etc. So, recalling what I had read, to think of it more as a war movie, than horror, helped me adjust my mindset.

It's a decent time. I had a more enjoyable time watching this than the Suspiria remake.

Scott
11-27-2018, 03:27 AM
I really liked this. I had extremely low expectations though, so that helped.

I feel they got the tone of it just right.

Just got back from seeing this.

I liked it a lot too and also wasn't expecting much. I agree about the tone, it knows what it is and has fun with the material. It has a great pace that just zips by.

mjeon
11-28-2018, 05:26 PM
Having glanced at SuperDevilDoctor's post, I was prepared for the jarring note he describes. I would have preferred less time spent on the personal dynamics in the group and more on the fiendish experiments. No film ever got less mileage out of its Nazi scientist. It's a fun movie.

Dick Ringeisen
11-29-2018, 01:35 AM
mejeon, I felt similar, that this movie could have done a lot more with the experiments and such.

When i saw the trailer, I was thinking, "Oh, OK, cool, a bunch of monsters running around, superhuman monsters, soldiers, all battling each other, during a war, .. Looks different. Looks decent".

Then, I read to NOT go into this expecting lots of horror, but more of a war movie. That disappointed me, but, did help when I first viewed this.

Had I watched this, without reading that, "Warning", I'd have been wondering where the monsters were, what happened, etc...

It was an OK time. Could have been better with more of the monster stuff, though.

Wernski
11-29-2018, 06:52 AM
I saw this in 2008 when it was called Outpost.

Alex K.
02-06-2019, 04:56 AM
It's overwhelmingly okay. The lead was kind of a wimp and not very historically accurate for obvious reasons. It takes a long while to get to the action and comes off as Inglourious Basterds-lite. Not enough Nazi zombies or gore and too much cliche story telling.

Dead Snow is still the champion of the Nazi Zombie subgenre.

Matt H.
02-06-2019, 09:46 AM
Dead Snow is still the champion of the Nazi Zombie subgenre.

Nah, ZOMBIE LAKE is the champ.

Alex K.
02-06-2019, 09:47 AM
Nah, ZOMBIE LAKE is the champ.

(Slaps)