PDA

View Full Version : John Carpenter's The Fog Gets 4k Restoration And Theatrical Run

Ian Jane
08-07-2018, 12:05 PM
Press release!

JOHN CARPENTER'S THE FOG- NEW 4K RESTORATION TO BE RELEASED IN OCTOBER

JOHN CARPENTER’S THE FOG TO HAUNT THEATERS AGAIN HALLOWEEN WEEK

NEW 4K RESTORATION WILL ROLL IN OCTOBER 26 WITH NYC, LA AND CHICAGO RUNS

SCREENINGS ACROSS U.S. AT ALAMO DRAFTHOUSE CIRCUIT AND OTHER VENUES

August 7, 2018- New York based Rialto Pictures will release John Carpenter’s landmark horror movie THE FOG on October 26, in its first-ever major restoration. The horror classic, in a full 4K restoration from Studiocanal, opens October 26 for limited runs at the Metrograph, in New York, Landmark’s Nuart in Los Angeles, and The Music Box Theatre in Chicago.

Additional screenings will occur during the week of Halloween throughout the Alamo Drafthouse circuit and other specialty theaters.

Carpenter’s first post-Halloween venture into the H.P. Lovecraft-inspired, apocalyptic vein that he would continue to mine in films like The Thing (1982) and Prince of Darkness (1987), THE FOG depicts the seaside California town of Antonio Bay in the grips of an ancient curse and a creeping mist. Drenched in malevolent atmosphere and packing an ensemble cast that includes Adrienne Barbeau, Tom Atkins, Hal Holbrook and the mother-daughter duo of Janet Leigh and Jamie Lee Curtis, this is the director at his ingenious, chilling best, servicing a contemporary taste for gore while simultaneously evoking the spirit of Val Lewton.

Out of theatrical release for years due to faded, unplayable prints, THE FOG can now be viewed again as it was intended, with the restoration of its breathtaking color cinematography by Dean Cundey (Escape From New York, Back To The Future (I-III), Apollo 13, Romancing The Stone), who deftly captured both the daylight beauty of the Point Reyes shore and the ghostly goings-on in the dark, eerie night.

“The Fog has been our most requested title for as long as we have handled the Studiocanal library here,” according to Eric Di Bernardo, Rialto’s director of sales. “It is Carpenter’s most visually alluring film and we think it’s been worth the wait.”

Founded in 1997 by Bruce Goldstein, Rialto Pictures brings the finest of world cinema to screens across North America. From new restorations of enduring classics such as Carol Reed's The Third Man, Jean Renoir's Grand Illusion, and Akira Kurosawa's Ran to genre mainstays like John Carpenter’s Escape From New York and Sam Raimi’s Evil Dead 2, Rialto Pictures offers an eclectic range of cinematic adventures appealing to any audience. Since 2012, Rialto Pictures has been the U.S. theatrical and non-theatrical representative of the Studiocanal library of over 2,000 international classics. Often featuring updated subtitles and renewed marketing materials, Rialto Pictures aims to engage moviegoers with cinematic history, preserve film culture, and highlight the continued relevance of classic stories through high quality theatrical presentations.

Alex K.
08-07-2018, 05:13 PM
I re-watched this one just last week. It did not age well. It's very well shot and all the technicals are great. But it's such a slow movie.

I want to see another remake. One that doesn't suck.

Keeth
08-07-2018, 06:09 PM
I still like it & watch it once a year or so. I think I bought a used blu-ray late last year or so? Looks fine to me so this is one I doubt I'll buy again.

Alex K.
08-07-2018, 06:13 PM
It has a great camp fire story aesthetic but like I said, man is it slow.

Matt H.
08-07-2018, 08:23 PM
This is one of Carpenter's best IMO. I cherish the slow pace and the atmosphere is as thick as... um, my cock? Seriously, though, this has so many incredible sequences (Buck Flower on the boat, grandma answering the knocks on the door, the possessed cars, the church assault climax etc.) and is easily top 5 Carpenter.

Mark Tolch
08-07-2018, 09:39 PM
I like it a bunch.

bgart13
08-07-2018, 10:47 PM
Count me in as a fan, but it's not one of his best for me. It lacks a little in the story line. Definitely comes off as being a bit rushed.

Bogart
08-08-2018, 04:41 AM
Lol regular release then steel book now 4k - scream really knows how to milk the fanbase. Glad I waited on this one.

Ian Jane
08-08-2018, 09:14 AM
Lol regular release then steel book now 4k - scream really knows how to milk the fanbase. Glad I waited on this one.

Not to say Shout! won't give it another release taken from this 4k restoration, but the press release has nothing to do with them.

killer must kill again
08-08-2018, 10:52 AM
I hope it's arrow. love this flick! who doesn't like ghostly, seaweed infested leper sailors with red eyes?

Alex K.
08-08-2018, 11:01 AM
This is one of Carpenter's best IMO. I cherish the slow pace and the atmosphere is as thick as... um, my cock? Seriously, though, this has so many incredible sequences (Buck Flower on the boat, grandma answering the knocks on the door, the possessed cars, the church assault climax etc.) and is easily top 5 Carpenter.

"The atmosphere of John Carpenter's The Fog is as thick as my cock!" Matt H. Then Matt poses with a black cat in front of his Blood Sucking Freaks poster with his black Master of Puppets t-shirt.

I hope it's arrow. love this flick! who doesn't like ghostly, seaweed infested leper sailors with red eyes?

There's definitely some great elements to the picture. But I still find it to be mid-tier Carpenter.

Derrick King
08-08-2018, 01:43 PM
It won't be. StudioCanal owns it in the UK and MGM has the home video in the US and they've already licensed it to Shout/Scream.

Matt H.
08-08-2018, 03:11 PM
"The atmosphere of John Carpenter's The Fog is as thick as my cock!" Matt H. Then Matt poses with a black cat in front of his Blood Sucking Freaks poster with his black Master of Puppets t-shirt.

No dude, in front of my GHOULIES poster... and I'm posing with a python (to match my cock).

Matt H.
08-08-2018, 03:17 PM
"The atmosphere of John Carpenter's The Fog is as thick as my cock!" Matt H.

In a perfect world, this would be the quote on the poster.

Ian Jane
04-23-2019, 09:19 AM
So I grabbed all 4 of the UK Studio Canal UHD releases. We watched Escape From New York on Sunday and I thought it looked excellent, a pretty nice step up from the Blu-ray. The Fog we watched last night and, not nearly as much of an uptick there, hardly UHD demo material. A little noisy in spots maybe, too. Still, happy to have all four of them. I didn't opt for the overpriced LE's, just the standard editions. Tax return money well spent.

anthony1138
04-23-2019, 11:02 AM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Ian. I was thinking about picking up these release myself, but I don't currently have a 4K setup so I'm in no hurry. I read somewhere that there were compression issues on some of the titles, not that I remember where I read it. Sounds like The Fog is one them. Maybe when Shout Factory eventually re-releases The Fog for the 4th or 5th time it will be UHD and look better than the StudioCanal release.

Ian Jane
04-23-2019, 11:25 AM
I never got around to picking up The Fog on Blu-ray when Shout released it so I can't compare it to that release. It didn't look terrible, but it didn't jump out at me as an improvement over what I'd expec the Blu-ray to look like. Escape, however, did. The HDR makes the colors really look a lot better to my eyes.

Haven't had time to get to They Live or POD yet, hopefully this week or the next.

Lalala76
04-23-2019, 11:49 AM
I picked up The FOG on UHD. I don't have a player but the Blu-ray aspect looked better than Shouts and a noticeable difference over the original Studio Canal release. I would say that it's the best release out there at the moment.

agent999
04-25-2019, 04:15 PM
Just decided to go 4K, new TV and player should arrive tomorrow. Escape is my first UHD purchase.