PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Overdrive from Vestron Video

Derrick King
08-13-2018, 10:26 PM
Not announced yet, but someone at the Blu-ray.com forum (http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=308859) found that Red Shirt accidentally had their Vimeo page set to public and they had the special features for it on there.

Mark Tolch
08-14-2018, 07:03 AM
This movie gets shit on heavily, but it falls in the "stuff that I saw on Pay TV that I wasn't allowed to watch due to strict parental guidelines". I taped it off of Superchannel back in the day, I was a huge Emilio Estevez fan (this and WISDOM were favourites), and I watched it hundreds of times. Looking forward to a good transfer with some extras.

Derrick King
08-14-2018, 10:29 AM
It is silly, but I think it is fun and wish coked up Steve had made more "moron movies." Shame he wont take part in the special features.

agent999
08-14-2018, 10:37 AM
Some films that I dislike actually grow on me when I watch them years later. I just know that after 30 years this is not going to be one of them. The only bit that I recall liking was like line about wiping your arse with a hook next time you take a dump.

Derrick King
08-14-2018, 12:34 PM
Has a page at Barnes and Noble (https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-maximum-overdrive/32798600?ean=0031398294139) (pre-order is not live), with an October 23 release date.

Killer Meteor
08-14-2018, 01:12 PM
Credit where credit's due, King is f*cking terrifying on that trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GepflqE7iu8

Tom Clark
08-14-2018, 01:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isKxjeepNNE

Matt H.
08-14-2018, 02:48 PM
I've seen this way too many times. The only way I'd pick this up is if they uncovered the uncut footage (even if it's in shit quality and buried away in the special features) or maybe if they got King to do a commentary.

Alex K.
08-15-2018, 02:18 PM
This movie gets shit on heavily, but it falls in the "stuff that I saw on Pay TV that I wasn't allowed to watch due to strict parental guidelines". I taped it off of Superchannel back in the day, I was a huge Emilio Estevez fan (this and WISDOM were favourites), and I watched it hundreds of times. Looking forward to a good transfer with some extras.

I genuinely enjoy this film. It's one of my all time big guilty pleasures.

Hope they find the uncut footage of that kid being killed by the steamroller.

Alex K.
08-15-2018, 03:21 PM
I forget the time stamp but Joe Bob talks about the infamous deleted scene where the kid gets run over by the steamroller:

https://youtu.be/nAmxAF0MP3Q

For those who don't know, John Bloom is close friends with Stephen King.

Ian Jane
08-20-2018, 10:09 AM

Alex K.
08-20-2018, 10:10 AM
Nice.

Mark Tolch
08-20-2018, 08:22 PM
I'll wait to check out reviews of the transfer, but this one is a no-brainer for me

Alex K.
08-20-2018, 09:00 PM
Like I said, I just want to see the fabled uncut gore footage.

Ian Jane
08-21-2018, 09:11 AM
Special Features:

Interview with Producer Martha DeLaurentiis
Interview with Special Make-Up Effects Creator Dean Gates
On-Set Vintage Interviews with Stephen King, Emilio Estevez, and Laura Harrington
Behind-The-Scenes Footage
Theatrical Trailer
TV Spots
Still Gallery

Alex K.
08-21-2018, 12:33 PM
Special Features:

Interview with Producer Martha DeLaurentiis
Interview with Special Make-Up Effects Creator Dean Gates
On-Set Vintage Interviews with Stephen King, Emilio Estevez, and Laura Harrington
Behind-The-Scenes Footage
Theatrical Trailer
TV Spots
Still Gallery

Dang.

Ian Jane
08-21-2018, 02:49 PM
Here's the full official press release with some more details:

Stephen King’s Horrifying Vision Arrives on Blu-rayTM in the U.S. for the First Time Ever!

Street Date: 10/23/18
Blu-ray™ SRP: $39.97

PROGRAM DESCRIPTION:

Get behind the wheel of one wild ride when the Vestron Video Collector’s Series releases Stephen King’s Maximum Overdrive on limited-edition Blu-ray™ on October 23 from Lionsgate. Written for the screen and directed by the original Master of Horror – Stephen King – this marks the first time ever that this horrifying film about sentient, homicidal machines has been released on Blu-ray in the U.S. Maximum Overdrive is loaded with all-new special features, including interviews with Producer Martha De Laurentiis and Special Make-Up Effects Creator Dean Gates; on-set vintage interviews with Stephen King, Emilio Estevez, and Laura Harrington; behind-the-scenes footage; and more! The Maximum Overdrive limited-edition Blu-ray will be available for the suggested retail price of $39.97.

OFFICIAL SYNOPSIS:

Get ready for the ultimate battle of man vs. bloodthirsty machine in this terrifying Stephen King classic! For three horrifying days, the Earth passes through the tail of a mysterious comet. The skies glow an eerie green as humanity waits to see what the fallout will be. But what they imagine is nothing like the nightmare they find — the comet’s magnetic fields cause all the machines on Earth to suddenly come to life and terrorize their human creators in a horrific killing spree. Now, it’s up to a small group of people trapped in a desolate truck stop to defeat the killer machines — or be killed by them!

BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES:

NEW: Audio Commentary with Writer Tony Magistrale, Author of Hollywood’s Steven King
NEW: Audio Commentary by Actor and Comedian Jonah Ray and Blumhouse Film Executive Ryan Turek
NEW: “Truck Stop Tales” Featurette – An Interview with Producer Martha De Laurentiis
NEW: “Rage Against the Machines” Featurette – An Interview with Actress Laura Harrington
NEW: “Honeymoon Horrors” Featurette – Interviews with Actor John Short and Actress Yeardley Smith
NEW: “Maximum Carnage” Featurette – An Interview with Make-Up Effects Creator Dean Gates
“A Kid in King’s Court” Featurette – An Interview with Actor Holter Graham
NEW: “The Wilmington Factor” Featurette – A Look Back at the Filming of Maximum Overdrive with Members of the Production Crew in North Carolina
NEW: “Who Made Who?” Featurette – An Interview with Murray Engleheart, Co-Author of AC/DC: Maximum Rock & Roll
NEW: “Goblin Resurrectus” Featurette – The Restoration of the Happy Toyz Golbin
Behind-the-Scenes Footage
Still Gallery
Theatrical Trailer
TV Spots

CAST:

Emilio Estevez St. Elmo’s Fire, Young Guns, The Outsiders, The Breakfast Club
Pat Hingle Batman, Batman & Robin, Sudden Impact
Laura Harrington The Devil’s Advocate, What’s Eating Gilbert Grape
Christopher Murney Barton Fink, The Last Dragon

https://youtu.be/WlUnX4FYgqo

PROGRAM INFORMATION:

Year of Production: 1986
Title Copyright: Maximum Overdrive © 1986 Dino De Laurentiis Productions Inc. All Rights Reserved. Artwork & Supplementary Materials © 2018 Lions Gate Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Type: Theatrical Release
Rating: R
Genre:Horror, Action
Closed-Captioned: NA
Subtitles: English,Spanish, English SDH
Feature Run Time: 98 minutes
Blu-ray Format: 1080p High Definition 16x9 (2.35:1) Presentation
Blu-ray Audio: Original 2.0 Stereo Audio (DTS Master Audio)

Alex K.
08-21-2018, 03:03 PM
Meh.

Mark Tolch
08-21-2018, 07:17 PM
That SRP better take a swift dip.

Ian Jane
08-26-2018, 10:14 AM
A note from Red Shirt/Michael Felsher re: the extras from FB:

"So it has finally been announced. MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE will be part of the Vestron line from Lionsgate.

This was a HUGE project for me, and I wanted to take a moment and clarify some things for those of you with questions out there.

1. Stephen King was approached to be involved and he politely declined to participate. I don't know the reason(s) why and that's his business. I will say that he got back with me very quickly and was very cordial about the whole thing. A class act and while his involvement would have been beyond exciting, I truly appreciated the fact that he responded to me at all. You wouldn't believe how many people don't even bother to do that. And none of those people are as busy as Stephen King.

2. The uncut footage. I (as well as many others) scoured the globe for any trace of the now-legendary gore and material cut from the film prior to its release in 1986. We turned up some leads but ultimately they failed to pan out. I know you all wanted to see this stuff...lord knows I did too, but it just couldn't be located. Stephen King got back to me saying that he didn't have a copy of it either, so there goes that longstanding urban myth. It may still be out there sitting on a shelf somewhere, but it has not been discovered in time for this edition.

3. This edition utilizes a new HD master made a couple of years ago, but it did undergo some significant color correction to fix some of the issues that have plagued some other Blu-rays in other territories.

4. There are a lot of bonus features on this that I sincerely hope people appreciate. I spent over a week in Wilmington getting loads of great material on the movie, including footage of a certain iconic truck face that was revealed to me during my time there.

Anyway, there's a lot to be said about this production, but for now that's it. I hope that you guys enjoy the new Blu-ray as much as I did producing new features for it."

Alex K.
08-26-2018, 10:39 AM
I'm glad they addressed it. I wonder if the tape with the uncut footage is with Romero's family?

Mark Tolch
08-26-2018, 05:24 PM
Glad that Michael tried! Sounds like a worthwhile excursion, even if it's an older master. Looking forward to the extras.