PDA

View Full Version : CONAN goes Blu!

Horace Cordier
05-19-2011, 04:59 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Conan-Barbarian-Blu-ray-Arnold-Schwarzenegger/dp/B00509KXYO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305838546&sr=8-1

Also on the same day comes that OTHER Conan movie. You know, the kiddie flick one best not named.

As for the original - by Crom they better get it right with a solid transfer and a port over of that hilarious Arnold/Milius commentary track.

Ian Jane
05-19-2011, 05:09 PM
Ah, so this is what you meant when you messaged me. You said 'Both Coman films going Blu' and I thought you were talking about Shout! Factory releases of Corman titles.

Dig the cover art. If nothing else, the remake at least got these reissued, and that's a good thing (if Uni doesn't mess it up).

I feel like someone should make a Sperminator/Love Child joke here.

Ian Jane
05-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Universal's publicity site lists specs and extras:

For Conan The Barbarian:

Bonus Features:
• Feature Commentary with Director John Milius and Arnold Schwarzenegger
• Conan Unchained: The Making of Conan
• Art of Steel: Sword Makers and Masters
• Conan: From the Vault
• Special Effects
• The Conan Archives
• Theatrical Trailers
• My Scenes
• Pocket BLU APP

Conan The Destroyer:

Bonus Features:
• BD-Live
• My Scenes
• Pocket BLU App

Both will feature 1080p transfers, DTS-HD 5.1 MA tracks, and be on BD 50 discs.

Toyboy
05-20-2011, 12:10 PM
How much better of a movie would CONAN THE DESTROYER be if it was rescored by Manowar?

Ian Jane
05-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Have you seen that fan edit going around of Conan The Barbarian set to the Manowar score? For whatever reason it doesn't have any dialogue, it's just different Manowar songs over top of the movie. It's kinda rad though.

Toyboy
05-20-2011, 12:34 PM
I haven't seen that, but it makes sense. Actually, it'd make more sense with High on Fire since they make decent music.

OH!!!

Ian Jane
05-20-2011, 12:37 PM
I love HOF but they might actually be too heavy for the movie.

Toyboy
05-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Indeed. Too heavy for life in general. They caused two earthquakes already.

Ian Jane
07-18-2011, 11:38 AM
An underwhelming review for the British disc is here (http://www.avforums.com/movies/Conan-the-Barbarian-review_10608/blu-ray.html).

Mike T
07-18-2011, 12:17 PM
An underwhelming review for the British disc is here (http://www.avforums.com/movies/Conan-the-Barbarian-review_10608/blu-ray.html).

I don't think anyone was expecting miracles of the film, given its checkered distribution history. Universal put it in theatres, in conjunction with DeLaurentiis - then Weintraub Entertainment picked it up and it went out on home video via Warner before Weintraub folded - Thorn EMI had it, Fox have had it, MGM have had it etc etc (and that's just Europe and Asia-Pacific, as I have no idea what went on with it in the US). And Fox now have it again since they're MGM's video distributor after the (bankruptcy) restructuring. Film elements, inclusive of negs and such, can't be super flash anymore, surely? At least it's the long cut... Hmmm... :think:

edit: Crikey! What's up with those screenshots? 1/3rd the size of what they should be and a pissy 35kb average (the smallest under 30kb) to boot! Talk about fuckin' useless representations of what the disc actually might look like. Eegads!

Ian Jane
07-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Having watched the Universal RA Blu the other day, I was pretty happy with the presentation. I'll have a full review up tomorrow. I'd have liked to have seen more extras than what is here (though they do appear to have carried over everything from the SE DVD) and the transfer isn't perfect but it definitely beats the DVD and the lossless track really makes the score sound awesome.

Paul L
04-20-2019, 02:02 PM
Rereading some of the Robert E Howard Conan stories, I'm struck by how good Milius' script for CONAN THE BARBARIAN is - Milius managing to weave into a broader tapestry some very direct references to specific stories (the siege on the cylindrical tower containing untold horrors in 'The Tower of the Elephant'; Conan mourning the loss of his love, and her appearance after her death, in 'Queen of the Black Coast', etc).