View Full Version : Pennsylvania Train Adventure (with waterfalls and a creepy house)

Ian Jane
05-23-2011, 07:32 PM
So because it was kind of crappy weather while we were vacationing last weekend, instead of hiking on Sat. we wound up driving to Scranton, PA simply because it was close by and, well, that's where The Office is set, right? It must be exciting.

No. It's not.

BUT - it has this neat train museum, which is kinda cool, but even cooler than the museum is the railyard beside it where tons of old passenger and freight cars are just sitting there looking weird alongside some unrestored steam engines. Evidently, they don't care if you go climb around on them or go into them. Well, maybe they do, I don't know, but I didn't see any no tresspassing signs and nobody came out and yelled at us.

So I took some pictures, and they're kinda neat.

At first I was upset to see the 'no humping' sign, but then I figured since no one was looking....

Ian Jane
05-23-2011, 07:33 PM

Ian Jane
05-23-2011, 07:35 PM
It's kind nuts that you can just climb around and into these. There's broken glass and sharp rusty metal all over the place and ceilings are caving in in some of the passegner cars and they're not really very safe. Alison made a good point as we were digging around - if this was in NYC there'd be barbed wire fences surrounding them, security cameras, and cops and we'd have been busted before we even got close to the trains. Thankfully, this was PA where evidently the local authorities don't care, which is awesome.

Ian Jane
05-23-2011, 07:37 PM
In short? Old trains are super cool and really interesting to explore. BE CAREFUL THOUGH - I got rocks in my shoe more than once and got spider webs in my hair.

Ian Jane
05-23-2011, 07:38 PM
Also, this place is right across the street from the Scranton Mall so you can enjoy fresh Auntie Anne's pretzels and lemonade before or after your train crawling adventures and you can buy Clutch CDs at the FYE. Free parking!

Todd Jordan
05-23-2011, 08:00 PM
It's the country, man. Peeps are nice and everyone is laid back. Not like the uptight city folk who yell at you for anything. I dig that inside the car shot with all the old seats. That place looks cool.

Ian Jane
05-23-2011, 08:04 PM
I dig that picture of you humping the train. It makes me hot and horny and I can't deal with how incredibly sexy it is.

Thanks, Todd.

Ian Jane
05-23-2011, 08:14 PM
So the next day we decided to take our time heading back to NYC. We detoured off onto this road following a sign that said 'Buttermilk Falls' and low and behold, there was a pretty rad waterfall there. You had to drive down a dirt road to get to it and it was one lane, which made is kinda scary when trucks came barrelling down the road from the other direction but we made it and it was pretty.

The hike to the top wasn't that long but it was like straight up and kinda slippery. Nice view once we got there though.

Then it was make out time!

Ian Jane
05-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Down the road from the waterfall was an abandoned farm with two barns on one side and a house on the other. It was empty, but it was trashed. Had obviously been vacant for a while. Without gloves and proper footwear I wasn't gonna go too far in, because there was broken glass and funny smells and rotton floor boards and roof tops that looked like they would cave in. But we poked around a bit.

The barns....

Ian Jane
05-23-2011, 08:19 PM
...and the house. Dig the sign in front of it over the little bridge with what are obviously bullet holes in it.

And my favorite picture - note the hand written directions and some sort of poetry (?) on loose lead paper under the moldy old Gene Autry record.

Paul Casey
05-23-2011, 08:25 PM
I dig that inside the car shot with all the old seats.

Me too. I'd totally drink in there.

Todd Jordan
05-23-2011, 09:01 PM
Oh most certainly. Thanks for quoting me for real instead of messing with what I said like that Thomas rapist did.

please mess with what I said.

Todd Jordan
05-23-2011, 09:05 PM
I'm imaging the family had to flee the house like the Amityville Horror family and had to leave the Gene Autry family heirloom behind as well as the wreath at the front door. Couldn't even be bothered with the wreath.

"Honey! The wreath!"

"Fuck it! Dem's DEEEEM-MONS! Sheee-ot!"

05-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Ian, those aren't technically bullet holes in that weight sign - those be small-bore shotgun markings, possibly a .410 or .20 Gauge, probably 8-shot shells would be my guess.

And not to take away from your kissyface pic but do you always look like Jar-Jar when you do that?

Ian Jane
05-24-2011, 11:55 AM
And not to take away from your kissyface pic but do you always look like Jar-Jar when you do that?

Yes I do.

Shawn Francis
07-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Those forest shots are gorgeous and those abandoned house shots are gorgeously creepy.

Ian Jane
07-18-2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks Shawn, I'd have grabbed a bunch more if I'd had the right gear to go inside the house and things would have turned out better if I'd have used a tripod, but such is life.

Shawn Francis
07-18-2011, 11:28 AM
Someday, when I can afford it, I plan to get a camera and delve into this hobby a bit. Here's an interesting gizmo that's still in the planning stages. I'd love to get a hold of it once it becomes a reality. Ir's called a Duopod. Looks much better than a tripod and can be used as a steadicam device, too. CLICK HERE (http://www.gizmag.com/duopod-stabilizing-rig-for-dslr/19043/)

Ian Jane
07-18-2011, 11:31 AM
That is kinda nifty. I almost bought a monopod a few weeks back, as they're less bulky and easier to set up and take with you if you're shooting somewhere you're not supposed to be and need to get out of there quickly.

Shawn Francis
07-18-2011, 11:46 AM
I love landscape stuff, especially of the woods. I suspect, if I ever got a camera, there'd be a lot of those photos.