PDA

View Full Version : Alien 40th Anniversary Edition 4k UHD/Blu-ray Coming

Ian Jane
01-14-2019, 04:34 PM
Source. (http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/011419-1100)

"For months now, we’ve been saying that 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment was planning to promote the 40th anniversary of director Ridley Scott’s original Alien (1979). This was based on our sources within the industry.

Well... now we have the first word from retailers.

UK disc retailer Zavvi has just listed a 2-disc Alien: 40th Anniversary Edition for release on 4K Ultra HD on 4/1/2019 (or 1, April as you guys would say across the pond).

There are no other details yet available. We expect that the US release date will be somewhat different, but certainly within a week or two. The official announcement is likely due very soon and we’ve already asked the studio."

Ian Jane
02-26-2019, 03:26 PM
Full press release.

ALIEN 40TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION
Arrives on 4K Ultra HD™ April 23
LOS ANGELES, CA (February 26, 2019) –– In space no one can hear you scream. The terrifying sci-fi adventure, ALIEN, celebrates 40 years with an all-new 4K Ultra HD™ master, available April 23. A limited edition 4K UHD™ steelbook of ALIEN 40th Anniversary Edition will also be available exclusively at Best Buy.

In the film that birthed the wildly successful ALIEN franchise, the crew of the deep space tug Nostromo awaken from stasis during a voyage home to Earth when their ship’s computer detects what is believed to be an alien distress signal coming from the desolate nearby moon, LV-426. While investigating, one of the crew, Kane (John Hurt), is attacked by an alien creature that latches to his face and he is rushed back to the Nostromo to receive medical treatment. Ripley (Sigourney Weaver), the ship’s warrant officer, advises against Kane’s return due to quarantine regulations - but her orders are ignored by Ash (Ian Holm), bringing the Nostromo under threat from a mysterious, extraterrestrial apex predator with violent and lethal survival instincts.

The film was restored in 4K in 2018 by 20th Century Fox at Company 3/Deluxe Entertainment Services Group, supervised by Ridley Scott and Pam Dery, with the 4K scans were done at EFilm.

ALIEN 40th Anniversary Bonus Features:
1979 Theatrical Version
2003 Director’s Cut
2003 Audio Commentary by Ridley Scott and the Cast & Crew
1999 Audio Commentary by Ridley Scott (1979 Theatrical Version Only)
Final Theatrical Isolated Score – Dolby Digital 5.1 (1979 Theatrical Version Only)
Composer’s Original Isolated Score – Dolby Digital 5.1 (1979 Theatrical Version Only)
Deleted Scenes

ALIEN 40th Anniversary 4K ULTRA HD™ & Blu-ray Specs
Street Date: April 23, 2019
Screen Format: Widescreen 16:9 (2.40:1)
Audio (4K Ultra HD™): English DTS-HD-MA 5.1 / English DTS-HD-MA 4.1 (Theatrical Version Only) /
English Surround DTS-HD-MA2 2.0 / Spanish DD 5.1 / French DTS 5.1
Audio (Blu-ray): English DTS-HD-MA 5.1 / English Dolby Digital 4.1 (Theatrical Version Only) /
English Surround Dolby Digital 2.0 / Spanish DD 5.1 / French DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English / Spanish / French
U.S. Rating: R for sci-fi violence, gore and language

Ian Jane
02-26-2019, 03:28 PM
I'm guessing this tiny little jpeg attached to that press release is the steelbook art.

Paul L
02-26-2019, 08:00 PM
Hopefully, I'll get the chance to watch the 40th Anniversary theatrical rerelease on Monday 4th of March. Looking forward to it. I've only seen ALIEN on the big screen once before.

Paul L
03-04-2019, 07:59 PM
Just returned from watching the 40th anniversary rerelease of ALIEN at my local cinema. Was great to see this on the big screen again. I never realised before that the cans of beer that are seen throughout the film have the Weylan-Yutani logo on them :biggrin:

Dom D
03-05-2019, 01:41 AM
This is playing locally on one of those old, huge, single screen theatres on a double bill with 70mm Aliens print. They're making a big deal about having the original magnetic, 6 track audio for Aliens. No idea what that is so not sure if it's actually significant. I'd like to go along. Chances of getting 5 hours of free time though seem slim.

Ian Jane
03-14-2019, 10:06 AM
To celebrate the 40th anniversary of Ridley Scott’s groundbreaking sci-fi horror film Alien (1979), six visionary filmmakers were selected to bring their Alien-inspired stories to life. From terrifying escapes, to Facehuggers and Xenomorphs, these captivating shorts brings forth an exciting new narrative for fans while paying homage to the original film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8C8OPS3avo

Fundi
03-20-2019, 11:30 PM
so in 1979 they were using 5.1 in the theaters for sound? This doesn't sound right, shouldn't it be dolby 2.0 or maybe even dolby mono? I like it when they include the original audio. Or was this originally shot in 5.1? Could be I just never saw a movie from the 70's that was before.

Dom D
03-21-2019, 01:22 AM
so in 1979 they were using 5.1 in the theaters for sound? This doesn't sound right, shouldn't it be dolby 2.0 or maybe even.

Apparently so. I did a bit of reading and people do claim that 6track magnetic from the 70s blows away current digital. Sceptical of that myself but as I don't know anything about it I'll take their word for it. Here's a listing of 70mm films using the 6 track format: https://www.in70mm.com/library/process/dolby/index.htm

Paul L
03-21-2019, 02:24 AM
The six-track for ALIEN has some differences in the sound mix, including some alternate lines of dialogue, as compared with the sound mix that has worked its way onto home video releases of the film - a bit like those alternate audio mixes of STAR WARS.

Ian Jane
03-22-2019, 09:49 AM
The UHD has dropped for $14.99 on Amazon!

https://amzn.to/2FkGrNJ

Mark Tolch
03-25-2019, 05:51 PM
IT'S 14.96 NOW!

Insert your site link here.

I grabbed the one off of amazon.ca which came out to 20 bucks and change with tax. Can't wait to see it.

Ian Jane
03-25-2019, 07:56 PM
Amazon had better give me my $0.03 back, damn it!

Mark Tolch
03-25-2019, 07:56 PM
MURDERED!!!!

Alex K.
04-01-2019, 05:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu_4PgSXbDY

I thought this was pretty good even if we didn't see much of the Alien.

Ian Jane
04-05-2019, 03:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKl-fU3WC7s

Alex K.
04-05-2019, 04:26 PM
Damn, you beat me to it. So far I really like these shorts.

Ian Jane
04-12-2019, 12:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYgoolcKszc

Alex K.
04-12-2019, 12:57 PM
That one was pretty lame.

Ian Jane
04-24-2019, 08:57 AM
Watched the UHD last night. Impressive, a very nice upgrade over the past Blu-ray release. The HDR helps a lot with the color and there's a whole lot of detail to take in here as well. It would have been nice to see them go all in and provide a DTS-X track or something like that, but otherwise no complaints. The ending with the strobing and all that really pops here. Fox did a great job on this, well worth the $15 it's currently going for on Amazon.

Mark Tolch
04-24-2019, 10:29 AM
Watched the UHD last night. Impressive, a very nice upgrade over the past Blu-ray release. The HDR helps a lot with the color and there's a whole lot of detail to take in here as well. It would have been nice to see them go all in and provide a DTS-X track or something like that, but otherwise no complaints. The ending with the strobing and all that really pops here. Fox did a great job on this, well worth the $15 it's currently going for on Amazon.

As the film went on, I got more used to the 4K, but that opening, and the shots around the ship are so full of detail, and so clear, it's impressive as hell. that HDR kicks in the intensity of those mechanical lights, and yeah, that strobing. Even some of the stuff that should be obviously fake, like the backdrop of the "cave" on the alien ship looks insane. Closeups really shine. I was blown away by how nice the picture looked, although, yeah, a new audio track would have been swell.

enandalusiskhund
04-25-2019, 02:09 PM
First film that made me even consider buying an UHD player, but goddamnit I can't for the life of me justify buying Alien for the 5th time on a new format!

Mark Tolch
04-25-2019, 11:42 PM
Totally worth it.

Alex K.
04-28-2019, 10:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za0jUxBPQTw

This is the first short that actually had a beginning, middle, and end. Obviously the best one. Plus it features a semblance of the Alien and it's not some CGI After Effects shit.