PDA

View Full Version : The Hammer Films That Got Away

Ian Jane
05-31-2011, 12:16 PM
So most of us probably already knew about Hammer's 'not gonna happen' attempt to bring Vampirella to the big screen but I didn't realize that there were so many aborted attempts at other oddball titles in the studio's history.

Headpress has a bad ass article on some of those here (http://www.worldheadpress.com/unmade-hammer-film-posters-177?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Blood+In,+Blood+Out:+The+Violent+Empi re+of+...&utm_source=YMLP+mailing+list&utm_term=Unmade+Hammer+Film+Posters). Gotta love the poster art they've dug up for some of this stuff.

It's a lengthy article but worth a read.

Mike T
05-31-2011, 12:51 PM
I am surprised that you (maybe) haven't heard about Last Bus to Bray (from the publishers of Little Shoppe of Horrors)?

http://www.littleshoppeofhorrors.com/Last_Bus_to_Bray.htm

It's a two volume set, that's 200pp all up, dedicated to exactly the same topic! :)

Ian Jane
05-31-2011, 12:58 PM
Nope, hadn't heard of that. I was always into Hammer films, even as a kid (anything with vampires, werewolves or Frankenstein monsters was required viewing - and these ones had boobs in them, unlike the Universals) but didn't really start getting into the history of the studio until the last few years. Have you got that set? It's worth the money?

Mike T
06-01-2011, 12:08 AM
Unfortunately, no...haven't got them. Am back to that spot where the money's gotten a bit frugal again, otherwise I would've definitely bought them as I believe the Little Shoppe of Horrors stuff is fairly exhaustive.

Last Hammer book I bought was Marcus Hearn's Hammer Story -- which is quite good, but modestly light overall for the money you pay for the hardcover edition. Hearn really knows his stuff and works with Hammer on his publications; he had two other books, The Art of Hammer and Hammer Glamour, that I also want to get a hold of.

Agreed about Hammer as a kid -- classic monsters + boobies = good value. ;)

Ian Jane
06-01-2011, 08:52 AM
I used to have a copy of the Creation book House of Horror: The Complete Hammer Films Story... but I dunno what happened to it because I don't have it any more. I'd love a copy of Hearn's The Art Of Hammer but I'm not paying $100 for it.

Mike T
06-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Yeah, $100 is extortion for a book that retailed at about $30. Some fans are just friggin' leeches. Was it a limited edition pressing? Or is it just out of stock around? I'd wait for a second pressing/non-rip off merchant copies to come into stock. Obviously some people are only too happy to let their wallets get raped like that, but not me.

Amazon UK seem to do it all the time with their marketplace stuff. Worst offenders are the sellers who put up items, like budget sell-thru releases that are widely available, at a 400% mark-up just because Amazon doesn't have the item in stock when they decide to take advantage and rip-off buyers. What gives people the right to charge GBP20 for something worth GBP5? Makes no sense, especially when there's other online retailers out there selling the items at the five pound SRP. Fandom is a very greedy place...

Btw, have you seen These are the Damned? If not, do! It's awesomely bleak...for a film of its era. I'm thinking of pumping out a review for the "other" blog... ;)

Ian Jane
06-02-2011, 02:56 PM
I have the set with that one in it but haven't watched it yet. One of these days I'll have spare time (or at least that's what I keep telling myself). I figure Losey and Reed have got to be a pretty great combination.

Mike T
06-02-2011, 03:01 PM
The romance angle with Carey and the 20yo is pretty creepy, but...you're really going to like the end of it. It's amazing. You just didn't get ending's like that in those days. Reed's good in it, as he always was back then. I think it's the only film of Losey's I've seen, but that's because it was a Hammer film. It's a very good, very chilling exercise indeed... ;)

Ian Jane
06-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Like I said, some day I'll have the time!

The poster is all kinds of cool...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_umfxV1bqzno/TBshiwc4u1I/AAAAAAAAAp4/pcS0gZ1tQAI/s1600/thedamned_us.jpg