PDA

View Full Version : Some BIG news for Hammer fans!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mike T
06-20-2011, 02:06 AM
Received an interesting little email today...

The Vampire Lovers -- Blu-ray -- September!

...that's all I can say for now. ;)

Apart from the fact that it should be sourced from MGM's HD master, that previously made its debut on the US DVD release.

Ian Jane
06-20-2011, 08:59 AM
This is an Aussie release I'm guessing?

Mike T
06-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Why yes...yes it is. I don't have a lot of info at present, but the BD will feature the audio commentary, trailer and Ingrid Pitt reading from the US MGM release. With all of that I put two and two together and figured out they'll be using MGM's HD master (as the whole package features the MGM materials). September is a tentative, hence no finite data more than the above.

I'll see if I can get some more data about the release (like region-coding) and get back to you all on this one ASAP. Once I get the okay to say more...I will. :)

Mike T
06-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Erm, silly misunderstanding! Oops!

Ian Jane
06-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Well, Sept. isn't that far off, you'd think if they've got it coming they'll make an official announcement soon. I'd be happy to get a good HD upgrade of this one.

Mike T
06-22-2011, 09:56 AM
The only foreseeable drawback I can think of is that the cover is going to look like this:

Mike T
06-23-2011, 05:49 AM

Ian Jane
06-23-2011, 08:50 AM
Got a feeling they're going to region code that one. But.... I'm region free so I don't care.

That has the potential to look great in HD, it's a really lavish looking movie.

Mike T
06-24-2011, 08:41 AM
Erm, silly misunderstanding! Oops! Specs posted were incorrect - flyer came from a pre-release catalogue.

Ian Jane
06-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Oof. That's not good at all.

Mike T
06-24-2011, 10:55 AM

Mike T
06-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Apologies for all the edited posts, but there was a bit of misinformation circulated that all proved false. More anon.

Ian Jane
06-24-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm hoping that press release is mistaken about the aspect ratio.

Mike T
06-24-2011, 12:37 PM
There's a bit of delay between my correspondence with the distro; so we'll have to sit patient until an update. ;)

Ian Jane
06-27-2011, 10:06 AM
In other high def Hammer news, Kim Newman just posted this on his Twitter account:

"I've just done an interview for the Quatermass and the Pit BluRay special edition. Now, my flat is being used as a location."

Mike T
06-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Well, that one we CAN be sure of, as it's coming from Optimum who have direct access to materials via what's in the vaults at Studio Canal. Don't know if this is one I'd put at high priority though as, although it IS very good Hammer, it's not really a personal favourite of mine from the studio.

I'll have another look at my Optimum DVD, one day -- problem with that one is that the soundtrack's in stereo and the balances are out of skew (dialogue drops low, you turn it up and then the music and FX track deafens you). Same with Optimum's Devil Rides Out disc. Those were funny decisions on Studio Canal's part; should've just either licenced Anchor Bay's 5.1 remixes, or gone the original soundtracks...which I'm guessing were monaural, maybe?

I just have waaaaay too many Hammer films on DVD. But none I haven't watched on disc (in other words, revisited from numerous previous viewings)! Funny that...the Hammers always get priority when they arrive. Guess that'll make Hands of the Ripper the next major watch of the coming couple of days...

Ian Jane
06-27-2011, 11:39 AM
It's not a personal favorite of mine either, but I still wouldn't mind getting a nice HD copy of it. I don't see it getting a US Blu-ray release any time soon.

Mike T
06-28-2011, 10:56 AM
I don't know, I must be getting old or all this online movie geekdom is getting tired? I'd never buy something, that I wasn't that fond of to begin with, just because there's now a HD version where there wasn't before. I just don't see the value in having a HD edition of something that wasn't all that to begin with. Call me crazy, but that's the way I think...

Ian Jane
06-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Well, I don't have it on DVD so if the BD were a good price, I like it enough that I would buy it. Simple as that. I just think there are much better Hammer films out there, but I do still enjoy this one.

Mike T
06-28-2011, 11:26 AM
Ahhh...being that you have most films known to man on home video, I just assumed you already might've had it on DVD. But don't let me sway you on my line of thinking -- has just been the way I've been leaning over the last year or more. If the film would benefit from HD = BD, if it wouldn't be all that or I'm not convinced enough or already have it in SD and wasn't thrilled = DVD, and if it personally looks like utter shit to me = no dice. I think I'm just losing that whole OCD fan-nutbag thing and coming back down to earth...

Ian Jane
06-28-2011, 11:31 AM
I suffer from occasional OCD fan nutbag syndrome myself, but not normally when it comes to Hammer stuff. I own a fair bit of their stuff, but don't feel the need to own the one's I'm not interested and even went so far as to sell off a few I didn't enjoy. I've seen this one, enjoyed it, but yeah, never bought it. I saw it via Netflix ages ago and the US DVD was alreadey OOP and expensive by that point, I just never bothered with the import.

Mike T
06-28-2011, 11:41 AM
I suffer from occasional OCD fan nutbag syndrome myself...

Let's just clarify: I have in the past and have been know too as well. But with the boy growing up, and health issues and shit, I just find I'm not as "there" as I used to be. But as I said, that's just me. I do think it'll be interesting to see what else is on the Hammer BD plate in future though -- some of the old faves might turn up eventually. Maybe before I shuffle off this mortal coil, even...

Mike T
06-30-2011, 12:54 AM
In other good news, Icon Home Entertainment will be re-releasing some of the Hammer films previously put out by (the defunct) DD Video in the UK.

First batch on September 12th include...

The Abominable Snowman
Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter
Quatermass boxset (The Quatermass Experiment/Quatermass 2/Quatermass & the Pit)
X the Unknown

...I'm guessing that these will largely be the same/similar to the previous DDV releases, only better authored (as Icon are good like that). Amazon UK doesn't give much more than that... ;)

Hooray! I can now start picking up some of the Hammers I missed first time around!

Mike T
06-30-2011, 01:48 AM
Well...Vampire Lovers BD? HD 1080p/24 and 1.85...and region free. That is all... ;)

Mike T
06-30-2011, 05:46 AM
There you go: here's the original News post updated and revised with correct info...

Vampire Lovers Blu-ray in Oz (http://thrubloodshoteyes.wordpress.com/2011/06/30/australian-exclusive-hammer-cult-classic-comes-to-blu-ray/)

...plus a little apology to Shock I felt was necessary in light of things said without having all the details at hand prior. ;)

Ian Jane
06-30-2011, 08:50 AM
Good stuff. Looking forward to this one.

Mike T
06-30-2011, 12:28 PM
And, a little bit of self-contained Hammer news from the UK:

What the world...needs now...is... (http://thrubloodshoteyes.wordpress.com/2011/07/01/and-because-the-world-always-needs-more-hammer%e2%80%a6/)

...as that's just stuff I pulled from Amazon UK today, I figure I can't get in trouble with anyone this time. Curse you, Mr. Jane! Now I want to buy them ALL!!!

Ian Jane
06-30-2011, 12:35 PM
If Icon were smart (or contractually able, which they're probably not) they'd do them on Blu-ray as well and forget to region code them. Those may not be A-listers like the Dracula movies, but I bet they'd do well.

Mike T
06-30-2011, 01:19 PM
So do I (think they'd do well, that is)! Hammer and rights in the UK is almost as hodge-podge for the company as it is in the US. Warner have some, Icon have some, Studio Canal have others, Network/Granada have a handful...and I think, from memory, there's a few tied up in legal disputes at present. I'm guessing that, per the Icon stuff, the rights have reverted back to them now the licences for the long-dead DDVideo titles have expired; which hopefully means a couple of other rare Brit-horrors might also be re-released.

In the middle of the whole Icon thing is this: they've announced Quatermass & The Pit as part of their boxset, but Optimum have also announced a BD. This could be leaning towards the Icon version in their "Quatermass Collection" being the original tele-version that preceded the feature film. Fingers crossed, as I've never seen the TV version. I'm also guessing, without BDs announced, that they maybe only have access to SD masters for the titles they have (and being that they're doing them as budget releases I don't think cost vs. profit to strike new HD masters would be viable). The big plus is that the Icon editons should be better authored and pressed than the old DD versions.

I know Hammer announced on their official site that Satanic Rites of Dracula would finally see UK DVD release this year, but it's been over six months since that was stated and still nothing (I want an anamorphic disc of that one, dammit!). It seems to be a real mess with licences and rights in Britain for home video. Oh yeah, and BFI I believe now have the original Dracula (1958), as Hammer Tweeted a couple of months back "Dracula HD 1080p!" and then said no more.

Gotta dash! It's down to ten degrees celsius and I feel my blood starting to congeal... :wtf:

Ian Jane
06-30-2011, 01:36 PM
A BFI Blu-ray of the 58 film would be amazing. I hadn't heard that before.

Mike T
06-30-2011, 01:48 PM
A BFI Blu-ray of the 58 film would be amazing. I hadn't heard that before.

It's really just an internet rumour at present. BFI did a restoration on the film for new theatrical screenings in recent times and Hammer posted the Tweet. People, me included, have been putting the HD and BFI thing together...as it seems logical to me, given BFI's track record in recent years. Plus, Hammer have been dropping hints on their official site..

Further titles are expected to be announced over the coming months, with more classic Hammer titles making their Blu-ray debut.

...me thinks that means maybe we're not far off for the BIG one. ;)

Ian Jane
06-30-2011, 01:52 PM
That would be awesome news. Another reason I'm thankful for my Momitsu Blu-ray player because I'd bet they'll be Region B.

Mike T
06-30-2011, 01:56 PM
I definitely get the feeling we'll get some big announcements in the latter part of the year. Sony did HD masters of all of their Columbia collaborations with Hammer, so...there's that.

Plus, I think Universal did HD masters of their co-productions too. I may eventually be up for a total re-purchase of my entire Hammer set one day! The mind boggles... :wtf:

Ian Jane
06-30-2011, 02:03 PM
I'm also fairly certain Warner mentioned an HD version of Dracula having been done, and it might have actually shown up on one of the cable channels.

Ian Jane
08-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Specs (http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.com/content.php?contentid=74159) from The Digital Fix on the UK BD for Quatermass And The Pit from Optimum:

Digitally restored and presented on both Blu-ray and DVD in a single package, extras include:

New UK exclusive interviews with Julian Glover, Mark Gatiss, Judith Kerr, Kim Newman, Joe Dante and Marcus Hearne
Audio commentary with Nigel Kneale and Roy Ward Baker
World of Hammer - Sci-Fi Episode
UK and US trailers

Mike T
08-09-2011, 07:18 PM
I must ask: what does Joe Dante have to do with every horror release in existence that he has to be interviewed for everything?
Is he cheap to book? Does he do interviews for free? Does his agent shop him around the interview circuit between films?

Ian Jane
08-09-2011, 07:34 PM
No idea. I like him though. He seems like a nice guy. Better him interviewed than Tarantino.

Mike T
08-09-2011, 07:49 PM
No idea. I like him though. He seems like a nice guy. Better him interviewed than Tarantino.

Oh, fer sure! But it's just seemed kinda wacky that Joe's literally EVERYWHERE these days when it comes to genre-related interviews.

Mike T
08-18-2011, 11:01 AM
In other unrelated Brit-horror news, Shock are also putting out a BD of Amicus' Tales from the Crypt. Read that at AVM -- I'm guessing it'll be movie only, or port over whatever NTSC features were on the US DVD from MGM. That's all I know -- but after the last shitstorm that erupted over the Hammer news I broke, and the amount of crap unknown forces got me in with Shock (obviously there's some people out there who don't like to be "scooped"), I'm staying out of this one.

Ian Jane
08-19-2011, 09:42 AM
In other (sad) Hammer news, Jimmy Sangster passed away last night. From Hammer's twitter feed: "We are deeply saddened to learn of death of screenwriting legend & key part of Hammer's story, Jimmy Sangster. 2 Dec 1927 - 19 Aug 2011 RIP."

Mike T
08-19-2011, 10:33 AM
Man, that's not "big" news...that's sad news. RIP Jimmy -- 83's a pretty good wicket, thanks for all the great movie memories. :sosad:

Ian Jane
08-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Yeah, he did alright. Had a hand in some great movies.

Ian Jane
08-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Hammer Films just sent this out on twitter:

"We've just reunited Shane Briant & Madeline Smith for a #FrankensteinAndTheMonsterFromHell (http://www.rockshockpop.com/#!/search?q=%23FrankensteinAndTheMonsterFromHell) commentary!"

Nothing more to it than that, but could this mean there's a Blu-ray release in the works?

Mike T
08-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Hammer Films just sent this out on twitter:

"We've just reunited Shane Briant & Madeline Smith for a #FrankensteinAndTheMonsterFromHell (http://www.rockshockpop.com/#!/search?q=%23FrankensteinAndTheMonsterFromHell) commentary!"

Nothing more to it than that, but could this mean there's a Blu-ray release in the works?

Yes, could be. They hinted at the fact that there were more "surprise" announcements for UK BD later in the year -- and FATMFH was the only DDVideo Hammer that Icon isn't re-releasing on DVD in Britain next month. You're a very astute young man, you know that Mr. Jane? ;)

Ian Jane
08-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Sometimes I pay attention. When I've had enough coffee.

Mike T
08-23-2011, 10:50 AM
And don't forget: they also dropped the news that Satanic Rites of Dracula would be getting its first uncut UK release (also 16:9, which AB's disc wasn't) this year. Then quietly buried that news, as the announcement was a little...premature...

Ian Jane
09-02-2011, 01:33 PM
So in addition to the Quartermass BD, there's more on the way in the UK:

http://hammerfilms.com/news/article/newsid/310/hammer-titles-to-uk-blu-ray-and-dvd

":Nine Hammer titles come to UK Blu-ray and DVD in September. On September 19th, Studio Canal release Quatermass And The Pit in fully-restored HD on Blu-ray (in the film's original aspect ratio of 1.66:1).
Also, Icon release the following titles on September 12th:
"The Dick Barton Trilogy" (Secret Agent, Strikes Back & At Bay) [all 1.33:1 OAR]
"The Quatermass Double Bill" (The Quatermass Experiment & Quatermass 2) [both 1.33:1 OAR; NB: the print used is titled "The Quatermass Experiment"]
X The Unknown [1.33:1 OAR]
The Abominable Snowman [2.35:1 aka "Hammerscope" OAR]
Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter [1.66:1 OAR]

Cover art at the link above.

Ian Jane
09-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Right, well, for those who do want to stay up to date, there it is.

Ian Jane
09-13-2011, 09:39 AM
These kind of slipped under my radar.

Today Warner Archive releases Hysteria (http://www.wbshop.com/Hysteria-1965/1000230585,default,pd.html?cgid=) and Moon Two Zero (http://www.wbshop.com/Moon-Zero-Two/1000230277,default,pd.html?cgid=) on MOD/DVD-R.

Shawn Francis
09-14-2011, 11:09 AM
WARNER ARCHIVES commented on a post I made asking them if they were going to release WHEN DINOSAURS RULED TH EARTH. They replied, eventually, and intact, but no date has been set.

Ian Jane
09-14-2011, 11:13 AM
I was lucky enough to get the double feature with Moon Zero Two before it got yanked. They could easily recycle the transfer and put it back in print, as it looked pretty good.

Ian Jane
09-14-2011, 01:52 PM
OK, now this (http://www.hammerfilms.com/news/article/newsid/314/dracula-resurrected) is pretty fantastic news.

The BFI restored the US print of Horror Of Dracula a few years ago, but now an HD telecine has been done of some recently discovered extended footage that apparantly only ever saw the light of day in Japanese cinemas ages ago.

The article ends with this note:

"Hammer hope to make these resurrected scenes available as part of a future UK release of Dracula."

Barry M
09-14-2011, 01:59 PM
Quote: There is also extra audio of Dracula groaning during this scene.

Damn you George Lucas.

Mike T
09-14-2011, 02:07 PM
A while back, Hammer posted (in their Twitter feed) the words "Dracula 1080p!" -- this is obviously what they were hinting at.
It's a good time to be a Hammer fan, as there appears to be a lot of interesting things in the works (and I saw a hint dropped somewhere that The Devil Rides Out might be the next Optimum BD in the pipeline).
Remind me to do some "off the beaten track" Hammer reviews for Halloween for the troops... ;)

Ian Jane
09-14-2011, 02:16 PM
I'd be all over Devil Rides Out on BD, and To The Devil A Daughter too. Would make a great double feature. Most of them are so well shot that they'd really benefit from the upgrade I think.

Shawn Francis
09-14-2011, 04:22 PM
HAMMER FILMS WEBSITE
(http://hammerfilms.com/news/article/newsid/314/dracula-resurrected)
Marcus Hearn reports on a remarkable discovery by an enterprising Hammer fan

In 2007 Hammer and the BFI collaborated on a restoration of Dracula that resulted in the creation of a new HD master of the classic film. The version that was restored was the American print, which is slightly longer than the British version, but the re-master has the original title card added to the beginning (the US version of the film carried the title Horror Of Dracula).

However, for many years historians have pointed to the fact that an even longer, more explicit, version of the film played in Japanese cinemas in 1958. Up until now, efforts to locate the mythical ‘Japanese version’ of Dracula have been fruitless, but it seems that writer and cartoonist Simon Rowson has succeeded where everyone else failed.

Simon, who lives in Tokyo with his Japanese wife, was prompted to begin investigating on behalf of the British Horror Forum in early 2010. “My friend and fellow Hammer fan Stuart Hall suggested I should look for the missing footage,” says Simon. “That's when my wife Michiko started to help me in trying to find the most likely depository for foreign film stock in Japan. We were pointed towards the archive of the National Film Center just outside Tokyo, and quickly established (thanks to Michiko’s excellent interpreting skills) that the Center’s print of Dracula was partially destroyed in a fire in 1984. The first five reels were gone, but reels 6, 7, 8 and 9 – the last 36 minutes of the film – survived.”

After a year of negotiation, and some good luck, Simon was finally able to view reels 8 and 9 on the 9th March. They revealed something remarkable. “I was able to positively identify two extended scenes,” he says. “The first is Dracula’s attack on Mina while Van Helsing and Holmwood are standing guard outside the latter’s home. Having now re-run this scene many times on my British DVD, I think that the most obvious difference is the last shot of Dracula pushing Mina back onto the bed just prior to the sudden cut to the screeching owl outside.

“On the normal UK/US print we just glimpse Dracula’s shoulder moving downwards before the cut, but on the Japanese print there is a shot from a completely different angle which clearly shows Christopher Lee’s mouth wide open and his fangs fully exposed as he moves forward to bite Melissa Stribling’s neck – then it cuts to the owl as usual.”

Even more exciting was Simon’s discovery of a complete version of the film’s iconic disintegration scene. “As many people have speculated in the past, there is indeed an additional few seconds where, after Dracula is forced back into the sunlight by Van Helsing and raises his left hand to protect his face, we see the real actor – not a dummy – claw at his forehead and drag his hand down to his chin, peeling away his burnt skin in the process. There is also extra audio of Dracula groaning during this scene and an extra reaction shot from Peter Cushing.”

Sadly, Simon’s discovery was followed by the terrible earthquake and tsunami which hit Japan just 48 hours later. The National Film Center was relatively unaffected, but the situation remained serious for many.

Hammer began a conversation with the National Film Center, and in due course the four reels were transferred to tape and sent to London.

On the 14th September, Hammer reviewed an HD telecine transfer of all four reels; both of the scenes to which Simon Rowson refers are indeed present. Hammer hope to make these resurrected scenes available as part of a future UK release of Dracula.

Postscript from Hammer:
Hammer would like to express its warmest thanks to Simon Rowson, Marcus Hearn, the National Film Center at The National Museum Of Modern Art, Tokyo, and IMAGICA Corp, Tokyo for their roles in recovering this footage.

Ian Jane
09-14-2011, 04:23 PM
And... merged. Shawn the search function is your friend.

Shawn Francis
09-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Yeah, but THAT news deserves it's OWN thread. I have never been a fan of HAMMER's DRACULA and FRANKENSTEIN movies, but if this ever hits state side DVD, I'll probably buy it. Gonna try, again, to sit through it, when it comes on next month.

Mike T
09-16-2011, 12:53 AM
PS: For those across the internerd that started making wild suppositions about the local Vampire Lovers BD (like: Shock didn't have the licence etc etc wank wank wank) -- I just received news that they've arrived at the warehouse and will be shipping next week. Online community of little faith...pffft...

Shawn Francis
09-18-2011, 03:43 PM
WARNER ARCHIVES just made this post regarding the news of the explicit Japanese footage of Hammer's DRACULA being found: "There have been plans for some time to revisit the key Hammer titles for Blu-ray, especially DRACULA. It is likely our archivists will be investigating the issue of extended scenes for that purpose."

Mike T
09-21-2011, 11:04 AM
I guess all of the naysayers out there in la-la land can quit windbagging now. My Vampire Lovers BD shipped today. Anyway, it's not like indie (and even major) labels in the US don't miss street dates all the time. Some of the nonsense I've read across the web about Shock coming up short by a couple of weeks has been nothing but hilarious! So, yeah...it's real, it exists, it's come out from the company who said they were releasing it (ie: they did have the rights) and mine has already shipped. Storm. Teacup. QED.

Ian Jane
09-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Looking forward to your thoughts on this one. I'm going to pick it up if it's up to par.

Mike T
09-23-2011, 12:03 AM
And now, the news: a certain BD turned up in the mail today. Here's your basic specs...

1080i/25 (1.85) (feature runtime: 87m35s; MPEG-4 AVC encoding)*
Dolby digital 192kbps (feature & audio commentary)
Extras all in NTSC 480i
All region
BD25: Total disc size = 12.73Gb; feature file size = 11.8Gb

* the sleeve artwork lists 1080p/24, but unfortunately it's not.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/whitedragon68/vampireloversbd.jpg

bgart13
09-23-2011, 12:37 AM
Seems almost like it's upscaled. Lame.

Mike T
09-23-2011, 12:57 AM
Seems almost like it's upscaled. Lame.

Of that, I can fairly confidently say nada. It's definitely HD, as a pic from my mobile phone doesn't do the image justice. Screenshots from the actual disc will though; there's definitely more detail, and a clearly indentifiable grain structure, than my Optimum DVD. But I've lterally only had the disc in my hands for just over half an hour as of this writing, so there's still proper work to be done yet. A couple of cursory glances at the image on my PC's HD monitor aren't going to compare with seeing on our HDTV. Hence, give me some time to properly assess this...

Mike T
09-23-2011, 08:36 AM
I retract what I first said about the audio, without having listened to the entire film. It's by no means so dreadful that it renders the film unwatchable, but it does have some very unique issues that are going to be problematic for a lot of people. For me it was...irritating. I'll address the main problem with the sound in the review over the weekend, as it's too difficult to explain at this time of the morning for me while I'm tired and should be sleeping. More anon.

Ian Jane
09-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Hopefully a decent release from another territory will happen sooner rather than later. I really like this movie, it deserves a solid BD release I think.

Mike T
09-23-2011, 09:16 AM
I really like this movie, it deserves a solid BD release I think.

So do I, so do I. It's a favourite...but this release isn't that "solid" one we were all hoping for. Apart from the 1080i HD transfer, there are some issues that might make it problematic for some, unfortunately. And dammit, I WILL do that review. People deserve fair warning/an honest appraisal (since I paid for the disc) after all the hoopla over this one getting an "Australian exclusive" release. The Aussie distros let me down, again... :nono:

Mike T
09-23-2011, 11:17 AM
It's such a pity about the audio - as having just compared the BD against Optimum's DVD (both from an MGM master), it's really night and day in favour of the BD.
Well, I'll get onto this much vaunted review and then forward everything on to Mon Capitan for his perusal and approval... :)

A little bit more (and Ian's seen some screenshots, so he knows where we're at): the Optimum DVD has a movie filesize of 3.41GB, the Shock BD has a movie filesize of 11.8GB. Comparing the two is like night and day; even though it's 1080i HD, the Shock BD slaughters its SD counterpart. But that audio...oh so awful...

bgart13
09-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Thanks for taking a bullet for us, Michael. If it was half the price, it might be acceptable. Heck, that bd release of THE SKULL and MAN WHO COULD CHEAT DEATH have tiny tech specs and DD audio, but those were still pretty good considering the cost.

Mike T
09-23-2011, 03:25 PM
Now that I've had the time to sit down and actually watch the disc, with a strong critical eye (and ear) towards the transfer and sound (as I've seen the film dozens of times over the years), I will say this: it's adequate without being exemplary. Although the transfer is 1080i, it's quite strong with good colours, detail and balance. It's the Dolby 2.0 soundtrack that has some, shall we say, "issues". But I'll detail the whole shooting match for everyone right here on Rock! Shock! Pop! with a review of the disc within the next day or so. Sit tight! ;)

george n
09-23-2011, 04:41 PM
where do you guys get australian discs from?im in the uk

Ian Jane
09-23-2011, 04:44 PM
I've used these guys before with no problems - http://www.ezydvd.com.au/

bgart13
09-23-2011, 10:30 PM
Well, here's some fine news to balance out the VL disc:

http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.com/content/id/74376/quatermass-and-the-pit.html

Ian Jane
09-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Gah I'm gonna go broke soon. I need that.

Mike T
09-24-2011, 12:30 PM
Damn! I wasn't going to buy that - now I HAVE to! Thanks Ben! :p

Mike T
09-24-2011, 01:39 PM
And, re:The Vampire Lovers, we're done! Watch Mike's keyboard and fingers explode! Hmmm, might go and watch Night of the Eagle now...or Night of the Living Dead, in HD... ;)

Ian Jane
09-24-2011, 02:17 PM
But I'll detail the whole shooting match for everyone right here on Rock! Shock! Pop! with a review of the disc within the next day or so. Sit tight! ;)

And here (http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/content.php?1912-Vampire-Lovers-The-(Blu-ray)) it is.

Ian Jane
10-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Another very positive review (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Quatermass-and-the-Pit-Blu-ray/24446/#Review) for the Quatermass And The Pit BD.

Mike T
10-06-2011, 09:22 AM
And Hammer's Sword of Sherwood Forest (with Peter Cushing as the Sheriff of Nottingham!) is out on DVD via Sony in the UK on Oct. 24th...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sword-Sherwood-Forest-Richard-Greene/dp/B00295PG6C/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1FBUQTYOMTT1S&colid=259EG7EMN8C7C

Ian Jane
10-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Sony put it out here a couple of years ago. It's a fun one.

Mike T
10-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Good to hear! I'll look forward to it (might be a late year purchase along with some other oldies). :)

george n
10-24-2011, 03:40 PM
I had a day off today and had a chance to watch my 'quatermass and the pit' blu ray,and i have to say that i was really impressed.The film looks fantastic,also it was the first time i have viewed the ilm in about 8 years and i still find it to be a real solid film.Nigel kneale really knew how to write great material.Highly recommended

Does anybody know when icon are planning on releasing the re-pressed 'captain kronos - vampire hunter' dvd ?

Barry M
10-24-2011, 06:30 PM
I'm sorry, but I read that as "captain kangaroo - vampire hunter". I would double-dip for that.

Ian Jane
10-26-2011, 10:35 AM
A new book - The Hammer Vault - is due soon:

"The Hammer Vault is a remarkable journey through the Hammer archives including props, annotated script pages, unused poster artwork, production designs, rare promotional material and private correspondence. Hundreds of rare and previously unseen stills help to create a rich souvenir of Hammer’s legacy, from the X-certificate classics of the 1950s to the studio’s latest productions."

And then there's the Hammer Glamour Calender featuring the lovely ladies the studio was known for also coming soon.

Details here (http://www.hammerfilms.com/news/article/newsid/323/new-hammer-merchandise-from-titan).

Jamie Edwards
10-28-2011, 11:44 PM
And then there's the Hammer Glamour Calender featuring the lovely ladies the studio was known for also coming soon.

I was curious if Caroline & Valerie are going to be in it so I just did a search, but I can't find a full list of who's featured. Here's the ones I did see listed:

Caroline Munro
Raquel Welch
Ingrid Pitt
Ursula Andress

I've had Valerie on the mind this week! Blood From The Mummy's Tomb is a good 'Halloween season' type of movie.

Ian Jane
10-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Sadly I've never seen that one. It's out of print now I think.

Ian Jane
11-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Synapse just posted this on their Facebook page. Gotta say, that makes me pretty happy.

Terry C
11-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Just saw it. Insta boner!

Those covers look unbelievably awesome.

Shawn Francis
11-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Shit, I just posted those in a separate thread. Ian, you'll have to wipe the thread out. D'oh!

Shawn Francis
11-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Dammit, I even put 'em in the wrong category!

Ian Jane
11-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Shit, I just posted those in a separate thread. Ian, you'll have to wipe the thread out. D'oh!

Got it. I'll just delete the other one. Thanks for the heads up.

Shawn Francis
11-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Yeah, I wasn't talking about THIS thread. Ha!

I got excited when I saw that photo, and went right to into Image Shack mode, came here, didn't have my bloody glasses on and, well, we all know what happened next. Didn't even see your comment until later, which would have tipped me off that you probably posted the photo already. The adrenaline was coursing through my veins big time.

Roderick
11-12-2011, 12:49 AM
Shawn needs a less stressful hobby.

Shawn Francis
11-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Stressful?! It's exciting!

Ian Jane
11-17-2011, 02:06 PM
From Blu-ray.com (http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7744):

"The UK branch of Studio Canal (formerly Optimum Home Entertainment) has revealed that it is planning to release on Blu-ray three more cult Hammer films: John Gilling's The Reptile (1966) and The Plague of the Zombies (1966), and Terence Fisher's Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966). Technical specs, region coding status and special features for these releases are unknown at the moment, but the preliminary release date for all three is February 27th."

I didn't love Dracula Prince Of Darkness last time I saw it, but it's been years. These will look good on the shelf next to my Quatermass and the Pit disc! :)

Ian Jane
11-22-2011, 02:17 PM
And according to a post on Latarnia (http://thelatarniaforums.yuku.com/topic/10504/Two-previously--released--DVD-Hammers--hit-region-2-DVD): The Brigand of Kandahar and The Scarlet Blade are now up for pre-order at play.com, with a release date of 16. January 2012.

Shawn Francis
11-30-2011, 07:48 PM
THE CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF (DVD) 2-DISC LIMITED EDITION STEELBOOK

AMAZON UK (Pre-Order) (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Curse-Werewolf---DVD--Exclusive-Limited-Steelbook/dp/B0067LXQA2/zetaminor-21)

EXTRAS (Courtesy of some forum called, Roobarb's Forum):

00:44:15:22 THE CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF (MAKING OF FEATURETTE)
00:03:15:05 THE CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF - LYCANTHROPY - THE BEAST IN ALL OF US! (FEATURETTE)
00:03:19:14 (STILLS GALLERY)

Extras as listed by Final Cut:

Beautiful 2 disc dvd Steelbook limited to 2000 (numbered) sets.

Extras disc includes The Making of Curse of the Werewolf with interviews with Catherine Feller, Yvonne Romain, Mike Hill, Don Mingaye, Margaret Robinson Jimmy Sangster.---Lycanthropy:The Beast in All of Us --Stills Gallery with never before seen images.

Set of 8 Exclusive Postcards

Ian Jane
12-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Sadly, Don Sharp passed away yesterday. Details here:

http://celebs.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474980930284

Ian Jane
12-20-2011, 01:11 PM
An interview (http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/164431-exclusive-interview-the-hammer-vaults-marcus-hearn) with the guy who did The Hammer Vault book, which comes out today.

Ian Jane
01-15-2012, 01:09 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41aHRAi2LrL.jpg

Amazon shows this as released by Lionsgate 1/6/2012.

Terrible cover.

Ian Jane
01-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Schwing!

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/8286/dpodg.jpg

Shawn Francis
01-17-2012, 04:31 PM
AMAZON UK PRE-ORDER (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Curse-Werewolf---DVD--Exclusive-Limited-Steelbook/dp/B0067LXQA2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1326831951&sr=8-3)

God, I wish our local studios would care about their Hammer movies more.

That is an awesome cover!

Ian Jane
01-19-2012, 10:44 AM
It seems that the floodgates for high def Hammer are opening pretty quickly this year!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16629619

"More than 30 films will be resurrected, with several gaining new or extended scenes that were cut from the original. Among them is Terence Fisher's Dracula, which will incorporate a recently-discovered extended death scene considered too gruesome in 1958."

Ian Jane
01-19-2012, 10:46 AM
More here (http://blog.hammerfilms.com/).

And the extras for the Dracula POD Blu-ray are:

"Secondly, STUDIOCANAL have recently announced their second restored Hammer title coming to Region B Blu-ray (on March 5th). This is the chilling DRACULA PRINCE OF DARKNESS, restored at Pinewood from a two-perf original cut negative (OCN), scanned at 4k and restored in 2k. DRACULA PRINCE OF DARKNESS will be presented in all its TECHNISCOPE glory, in the original aspect ratio of 2.35:1. And if that isn’t enough, Pinewood have restored the original UK title cards to the film! On top of all that, official Hammer historian Marcus Hearn has produced an all-new half-hour documentary specially for this edition, featuring Barbara Shelley, Francis Matthews, Mark Gatiss, Jonathan Rigby and others"

Ian Jane
01-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Hollywood Reporter (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/studiocanal-backs-plans-bring-hammer-283296) has info too.

"The partnership continues throughout the spring for the releases of The Reptile and The Plague of The Zombies, and will also include The Devil Rides Out, Rasputin the Mad Monk and The Mummy’s Shroud during the course of the year.

Hammer will also release definitive versions of a trio of famous titles in the U.K.: The Curse of Frankenstein, Dracula and The Mummy.
As well as featuring a fully-restored HD picture and restored sound, the re-mastered films will include newly-filmed extras, including interviews with cast members, the partners said.

The documentary extras are being produced by Hammer expert and historian, Marcus Hearn – author of the recent “The Hammer Vault”."

Shawn Francis
01-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Are any of these destined to hit our shores?

Ian Jane
01-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Not so far, nope. At least there's no official word that I've heard. I guess it'll depend on the individual studios who own the US rights if it happens or not.

Either way, I'm region free so I'm all over these ;)

Shawn Francis
01-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Either way, I'm region free so I'm all over these ;)

Go ahead, rub it in.

Ian Jane
01-26-2012, 03:03 PM
Some pretty slick looking screen caps from the Dracula Prince Of Darkness Blu-ray have made an appearance at The Digital Fix (http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.com/content/id/75038/dracula-prince-of-darkness-uk-in-march.html).

Those look pretty impressive.

Nolando
01-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Whoa - those do look impressive.

Ian Jane
02-01-2012, 10:45 AM
The Reptile and Plague of the Zombies details here: http://blog.hammerfilms.com/?p=36

"on May 7th StudioCanal release both features as double-play Blu-ray/DVD editions, enabling fans, at long last, to be able to watch two of Hammer’s finest films in glorious HD, and in the original aspect ratio of 1.66:1. Both releases feature brand new half-hour documentaries directed by official Hammer historian Marcus Hearn, featuring interviews with original cast and crew, critic Jonathan Rigby, broadcaster Mark Gatiss, as well as experts on Bray studios (Wayne Kinsey) and Hammer’s music (Professor David Huckvale)."

Shawn Francis
02-02-2012, 03:35 PM
FAMOUS MONSTERS (http://famousmonstersoffilmland.com/2012/02/01/hammer-shares-update-on-classic-restoration-project/): “This post will deal with UK vs. US main/end titles, update you all on the “lost” DRACULA footage restoration and talk about the seemingly contentious topic of Digital Vision Noise Reducer (DVNR) aka Digital Noise Reduction (DNR).

First, the subject of main and end titles. Both our restoration partners and ourselves are doing everything we can to ensure that Hammer films are restored from the very best available materials. Often these materials are of the US rather than the UK version, which leads to a search for viable first and last reels so that the UK titles can be restored. DRACULA PRINCE OF DARKNESS (released March 5th by StudioCanal) was restored from an OCN featuring US main titles but UK end titles. Using the first reel of a badly-damaged print as a source, Pinewood Studios have done a fantastic job restoring the original UK main titles, meaning that the final restored film has UK titles at the beginning (Associated British Productions Limited Presents // A Hammer Film Production) and the end (A Hammer Film Production produced at Bray Studios, England // Released through Warner-Pathe Distributors Limited). Watch Marcus Hearn’s all-new documentary on Blu-ray for more on this.

Again using the first reel from a UK print in each case, Pinewood Studios have also restored the original UK main titles to both THE REPTILE and THE PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES, meaning that TPOTZ’s opening title sequence (featuring the voodoo ritual) will play in the correct order (sadly not the case on recent DVD releases of the film which play the title cards out of sequence). The end titles of both films are from a US-cut OCN, as no viable materials were available featuring the UK end titles.

On Monday we reviewed the restoration of the Japanese footage to DRACULA (warmest thanks to Simon & Michiko Rowson and The National Film Center at The Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo). It was incredibly exciting to see the two long-lost moments in the context of the BFI’s restoration. Molinare have done a superb job restoring this footage, considering the state of the reels (you’ll be able to compare and contrast on the eventual Blu-ray; we’re going to release all four surviving Japanese reels unrestored as a single extra). The moment where the Count leans-in over Mina is full of transgressive threat and erotic charge (one can easily see how this moment had to be cut in 1958) though the footage does not actually include a bite (contrary to wishful thinking in some quarters). The “face-clawing” scene is truly magnificent and sits perfectly within the last few seconds of the film. There are still tickets available for the world premiere screening of the “definitive” restored DRACULA on 18th February.

Finally, there have been several posts here and elsewhere regarding screen grabs from DRACULA PRINCE OF DARKNESS suggesting over-use of DNR and lack of grain. We can assure you all that when you see the film in motion you will definitely see plenty of grain! It isn’t really possible to draw conclusions from low-res JPEG screen grabs, however we can state that the DNR used on the restoration was very light indeed, only on a handful of scenes, and only when absolutely necessary. We can also state that there were no blanket noise-reduction filters used at any point during restoration. Any loss of focus and fading on the picture as presented on the Blu-ray is due to the age of the scanned materials rather than DVNR or the use of filters.

As a postscript, you’ll all be pleased to hear that scanning has now commenced on THE DEVIL RIDES OUT, RASPUTIN THE MAD MONK and THE MUMMY’S SHROUD at illuminate in Hollywood; film material courtesy of Twentieth Century Fox.”

Ian Jane
02-14-2012, 12:47 PM
I haven't seen The Woman In Black yet but I've got to say I dig this old school quad poster that Graham Humphrey's made for the UK ad campaign.

Ian Jane
02-15-2012, 12:40 PM
First review I've seen for Dracula Prince of Darkness UK Blu-ray:

http://www.sexgoremutants.co.uk/reviews/dracpodukbr.html

"With their debut Hammer Horror blu-ray edition, StudioCanal have struck Kensington Gore High Definition Gold – an essential purchase not just for Hammer Films fans but for any self-respecting fan of the horror genre. Buy!"

bgart13
02-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Cover updates:
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5691/draculaprinceofdarkness.jpghttp://img718.imageshack.us/img718/966/hammerfilmproductionsth.jpghttp://img13.imageshack.us/img13/7894/plagueofthezombiesblack.jpg

I'm diggin' the designs on these so far. I wonder if they'll go back and make a matching cover for QUATERMASS & THE PIT.

Ian Jane
02-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Those are AWESOME.

Mark Tolch
02-25-2012, 09:06 AM
Once again considering region free, just for these titles. Yowzah.

Ian Jane
03-07-2012, 10:34 AM
So apparantly that Dracula Prince Of Darkness Blu-ray has issues. The audio has some serious synch problems.

Studio Canal has issued a press release here (http://www.hammerfilms.com/news/article/newsid/365/notice-from-studiocanal-regarding-faulty-dracula-prince-of-darkness-blu-raydvd) noting that they will be doing a replacement program and correcting the problem:

Notice from StudioCanal UK regarding faulty Dracula Prince Of Darkness Blu-ray/DVD Double-Play discs:

"We recently discovered a small audio synch issue within a couple of scenes of the Dracula Prince Of Darkness discs that were released on the 5th of March.
This problem occurred at the authoring stage where a fix was not implemented despite being supplied.

With this in mind we will be replacing any discs that have this issue present.

Please send your proof of payment and your address to enquiries@vdcgroup.com and we will endeavour to send a working replacement to you promptly."

Ian Jane
03-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Finalized (and slightly different) covers for Reptile and Plague.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0m9uv4xBm1rr6p1bo1_500.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0m9ylv0KS1rr6p1bo1_500.jpg

bgart13
03-21-2012, 10:52 PM
REPTILE & ZOMBIES info, with images:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news/article.asp?a=10311

Ian Jane
03-22-2012, 01:43 PM
And the next titles in the line....

"StudioCanal has also confirmed that it will also be bringing Hammer's The Devil Rides Out, Rasputin the Mad Monk and The Mummy's Shroud on Blu-ray later this year."

Devil Rides Out? Fuck yeah.

bgart13
03-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Yup! A lot more than that coming out this year too.

Daniel
03-22-2012, 05:29 PM
REPTILE & ZOMBIES info, with images:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news/article.asp?a=10311

wonderfull !!

Ian Jane
04-16-2012, 09:29 AM
From Hammer's Blog:

"HAMMER LIMITED EDITION VINYL FOR RECORD STORE DAY

On Saturday 21 April a very special limited edition will feature original soundtrack music from Hammer’s Dracula A.D. 1972 and The Satanic Rites of Dracula. This collectors’ item will only be available through independent record shops as part of Record Store Day, the annual campaign to provide customers at UK and US shops with unique releases. A list of participating shops can be found at the Record Store Day website (http://www.recordstoreday.co.uk/participating-stores.aspx).

The 7” EP is pressed on red vinyl and strictly limited to 666 numbered copies. Side A features three tracks from Mike Vickers’ score for Dracula A.D. 1972, and Side B features three tracks from John Cacavas’ equally funky score from The Satanic Rites of Dracula. This will be Hammer’s first vinyl record release since 1974, and will not be available on any other format.

The record is released by renowned label Music On Vinyl, who have worked with soundtrack specialists Silva Screen. “We decided to focus on the two Dracula films from the 1970s as these scores were enjoyable blends of traditional horror and funky contemporary sounds,” says Silva Screen’s David Stoner.

David adds that the EP will be highly sought after. “The nature of Record Store Day is that these limited editions are only available on the day and through indie stores signed up to the event. Some copies will be available from silvascreenmusic.com but we can only offer them for sale one week after the event and only while stocks last. Once they’re gone, they’re gone!”

Dracula A.D. 1972/The Satanic Rites of Dracula: Original Music from the Classic Hammer Horrors
Catalogue number: MOV 7013
Barcode: 8718469530755"

I'm going to guess this will be UK only but if I find one while toiling around on Sat. this weekend, it's mine.

Ian Jane
04-16-2012, 09:48 AM
More Hammer news from Fango (http://www.fangoria.com/index.php/home/all-news/1-latest-news/6908-jared-harris-to-be-one-of-hammers-qquiet-onesq).

"The new Hammer is chugging along, adding a lead to their latest supernatural tale, THE QUIET ONES.

Deadline reports that the excellent Jared Harris (MAD MEN, SHERLOCK HOLMES: A GAME OF SHADOWS, has joined the film to be helmed by GHOST SHIP writer and QUARANTINE 2 director John Pogue. THE QUIET ONES concerns a professor (Harris) who, along with his students, venture to create a poltergeist.
No doubt, the strong success of THE WOMAN IN BLACK has done a great deal of service to the new incarnation of Hammer. It's wonderful to see their revitalization prove fruitful."

I dunno about Pogue being at the head... but if it's half as good as Woman In Black, then hooray!

Paul L
04-26-2012, 04:22 PM
The DRACULA: PRINCE OF DARKNESS replacement BDs are shipping: mine arrived on my doorstep today. Huzzah!

bgart13
04-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Don May sez on FB that TWINS OF EVIL will be released in July.

Paul L
04-27-2012, 06:11 AM
Very much looking forward to the BD TWINS OF EVIL: the film was one of my favourites when I was lad. I used to religiously stay up late to watch it every time it showed up on British telly.

Ian Jane
04-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Yeah I'm all over that one too. I think it's pretty underrated as far as Hammer's stuff goes. I know it's got a following, it's not like it's toiling away in obscurity, but I feel it holds its own against some of the more established 'classics' from the studio. Sexy, spooky and stylish. Great cast, great camerawork, great sets. Looking forward to a nice HD presentation.

And how awesome is the French poster for it?

bgart13
04-27-2012, 10:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zCoPPfGHhk

Randy G
04-28-2012, 03:37 AM
Big fan of Twins of Evil. I think the later period Hammers like this and Vampire Circus were underrated so it's great that they're getting the blu-ray treatment in R1.

Robert W
04-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Too bad they keep screwing these up.

bgart13
04-28-2012, 11:35 PM
Yes. They are so screwed up. Terrible, just terrible.

george n
04-29-2012, 12:25 PM
Ben i assume thats sarcasm,if so i fully agree with you.'QUATERMASS AND THE PIT' is the jewell in my bluray collection,Robert w have you seen the 'quatermass...' blu ?

bgart13
04-29-2012, 01:14 PM
:eyebrows:

Ian Jane
05-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Blu-ray.com (http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8629) got the scoop on the extras planned for the Synapse release of Twins of Evil:

Independent distributors Synapse Films have detailed their upcoming Combo Pack (Blu-ray/DVD) release of John Hough's Twins of Evil (1971), a Hammer horror classic, starring Inigo Jackson, Judy Matheson and Peter Cushing. The preliminary release date set by the distributors is July 10th.

Two beautiful orphaned identical twins, Maria and Frieda Gellhorn (Playboy centerfold models Mary and Madeleine Collinson), move to the village of Karnstein to live with their uncle Gustav Weil (played by Hammer horror favorite, Peter Cushing), a fanatical puritan and leader of the local witch-hunting "Brotherhood." The village Count (Damien Thomas, Never Let Me Go), an evil man who secretly practices Satanism, uses black magic and transforms into a vampire. Unhappy with her new life, Frieda seeks escape and tragically falls under the spell of the Count. Now overcome with an insatiable hunger for human blood, Frieda has to hide her secret from her sister, and escape her uncle's killing grasp.

Special Features:
-THE FLESH AND THE FURY: X-POSING TWINS OF EVIL (84 mins.) - An all-new, feature-length documentary exploring Hammer's infamous 'Karnstein' trilogy from the origin of Carmilla, to the making of TWINS OF EVIL! Featuring exclusive interviews with director John Hough, star Damien Thomas, cult film director Joe Dante, Video Watchdog editor Tim Lucas, and more!
-THE PROPS THAT HAMMER BUILT: THE KINSEY COLLECTION – Featurette (Blu-ray Exclusive)
-Motion Still Gallery (Blu-ray Exclusive)
-Deleted Scene (Blu-ray Exclusive)
-Original Theatrical Trailer & TV Spots (Blu-ray Exclusive)
-Isolated Music & Effects Track (Blu-ray Exclusive)

Ian Jane
05-11-2012, 09:31 AM
From Variety (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118053853.html?cmpid=RSS|News|FilmNews):

LONDON -- Sam Claflin, whose credits include "Snow White and the Huntsman" and "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides," has signed on to star in Hammer Films' "The Quiet Ones."

Thesp will star alongside previously announced Jared Harris.

The supernatural thriller-horror is set to be helmed by John Pogue ("Quarantine 2"), with James Gay-Rees ("Senna") producing, alongside TPSC Film's Steven Chester Prince.

Pic, which was originally written by Tom De Ville with revisions by Craig Rosenberg, Oren Moverman and Pogue, follows the story of a charismatic professor who uses controversial methods and leads his best students to take part in creating an poltergeist from negative human energy.

Tobin Armbrust of Exclusive Media, parent company to Hammer Films, is overseeing production alongside director of development Shira Rockowitz.
Exclusive Media will be shopping international rights to the pic at the Cannes Film Festival next week.

bgart13
05-11-2012, 02:01 PM
I really liked Jared Harris in SHERLOCK HOLMES 2, but liked him even more after catching up with MAD MEN. He's the kind of Brit the new Hammer needs to use.

Ian Jane
05-21-2012, 04:30 PM
HMV UK's site has Rasputin and Mummy's Shroud listed for 9/19/12 release on Blu-ray.

Ian Jane
06-04-2012, 10:47 AM
First review I've seen for The Reptile, with screen caps.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Reptile-Blu-ray/33710/#Review

Seems like a pretty solid disc...

Robert W
06-04-2012, 01:15 PM
First review I've seen for The Reptile, with screen caps.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Reptile-Blu-ray/33710/#Review

Seems like a pretty solid disc...

Perhaps they learned their lesson from the the botched D:PoD disc?

Ian Jane
06-04-2012, 04:55 PM
And a review for Plague of the Zombies just popped up too. Dig it. (http://www.avforums.com/movies/The-Plague-of-the-Zombies-review_10953/blu-ray.html)

It seems they got this one right as well.

Robert W
06-04-2012, 08:03 PM
And a review for Plague of the Zombies just popped up too. Dig it. (http://www.avforums.com/movies/The-Plague-of-the-Zombies-review_10953/blu-ray.html)

It seems they got this one right as well.

I don't think those PotZ screengrabs look all that hot. The Reptile ones, by contrast look a LOT better.

Ian Jane
06-27-2012, 11:25 AM
More Hammer news from Fango (http://www.fangoria.com/index.php/home/all-news/1-latest-news/6908-jared-harris-to-be-one-of-hammers-qquiet-onesq).

"The new Hammer is chugging along, adding a lead to their latest supernatural tale, THE QUIET ONES.

Deadline reports that the excellent Jared Harris (MAD MEN, SHERLOCK HOLMES: A GAME OF SHADOWS, has joined the film to be helmed by GHOST SHIP writer and QUARANTINE 2 director John Pogue. THE QUIET ONES concerns a professor (Harris) who, along with his students, venture to create a poltergeist.
No doubt, the strong success of THE WOMAN IN BLACK has done a great deal of service to the new incarnation of Hammer. It's wonderful to see their revitalization prove fruitful."

I dunno about Pogue being at the head... but if it's half as good as Woman In Black, then hooray!

More info on this one here (http://www.screendaily.com/home/blogs/a-spooky-visit-to-the-set-of-the-quiet-ones/5043765.article?blocktitle=Diary-Blog&contentID=2048), from a set visit conducted by Screen Daily.

"The Quiet Ones follows the story of an Oxford professor (Jared Harris) who goes rogue and takes some students (Erin Richards and Rory Fleck-Byrne) off the grid to try to create a poltergeist from negative human energy. They use troubled young girl Harper (Olivia Cooke) as the source of that energy. A local guy (Sam Claflin, a former Screen Star of Tomorrow) documents their experiments when they move from Oxford to an old family home (where I visited). The story was inspired by a real experiment in Toronto in 1972."

That last line caught my eye and lead me to find this link (http://www.time-loops.net/nostradamus/Experiment_Philip.htm) regarding the Philip Experiment.

"In the 1970's, a group of Canadian parapsychologists wanted to attempt an experiment to create a ghost, proving their theory that the human mind can produce spirits through expectation, imagination and visualization."

Ummm.... that's kind of fucking awesome. haha. GO CANADA!

Ian Jane
06-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Curse of Frankenstein has been restored and will be screening with the eyeball scene intact in 1.37.1 - the plan is to announce Blu-ray details at the screening on 7/14/12.

http://blog.hammerfilms.com/?p=135

Ian Jane
07-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Hammer Films announced on Twitter that they interviewed Richard Matheson for a making of documentary for The Devil Rides Out.

They also mentioned that Devil Rides Out is coming to Blu-ray along with Mummy's Shroud and Rasputin on 10/22/12 and that they're planning on U.S. releases but have not finalized a distributor yet.

Richard--W
07-05-2012, 05:50 PM
The Devil Rides Out has been criticized for falling apart in the third act because Hammer didn't have the budget or the technology to do special effects convincingly. This is talked about in the featurette on Anchor Bay DVD. I wish Hammer would spend some money to redo the special effects digitally, upgrading both the concept and design of the Devi's intrusion and assault on the protected circle. Paramount did something like this for Star Trek: the Original Series. The results were impressive and generally accepted.

Hammer can release both the original and the improved version on the same Blu-ray.

Richard

Apronikoff
07-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Diabolik is shipping the new Synapse release of Twins of Evil now...can't wait to check out the HD upgrade of one of my favorite Hammer films.

Ian Jane
07-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Just posted a review (http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/content.php?2481-Twins-Of-Evil) but for some reason I can't get the Blu-ray to rip, so the screen caps are DVD only, but they give you a pretty good idea of how nice this looks. Some damage in the first two minutes but otherwise, it looks awesome. Very long and thorough documentary on the movie too, and a few other good extras. A very solid release.

I'm curious when others get their discs if they're able to do caps from the Blu-ray disc? (if they have the capability that is).

bgart13
07-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Mondo Digital wasn't able to get caps from the bd either.

Ian Jane
07-07-2012, 12:27 PM
I was talking to Don about this earlier today, he got back to the replicator and apparantly there might be some encryption on the disc that won't let you rip it if it's connected to an HD monitor, which my PC is. For the record, I had no problem at all playing the disc on my PS3.

Richard--W
07-07-2012, 03:22 PM
The gamma on Synapse's VAMPIRE CIRCUS is all wrong. Not slightly or subtle wrong, but utterly and completely wrong. The light and dark values are bass ackwards on that blu-ray. Whoever is responsible for that needs more experience before he times another film. Compare the blu-ray and its DVD counterpart to MRA Entertainment's DVD edition in Australia. It's perfect. Huge difference. So I'm being cautious before I buy another Hammer from Synapse.

Richard

george n
07-07-2012, 04:12 PM
The Devil Rides Out has been criticized for falling apart in the third act because Hammer didn't have the budget or the technology to do special effects convincingly. This is talked about in the featurette on Anchor Bay DVD. I wish Hammer would spend some money to redo the special effects digitally, upgrading both the concept and design of the Devi's intrusion and assault on the protected circle. Paramount did something like this for Star Trek: the Original Series. The results were impressive and generally accepted.

Hammer can release both the original and the improved version on the same Blu-ray.

Richard

I could not think of anything more hideous than going back and tampering with the film. Blasphemy is what i would call it.'the devil rides out' and 'quatermass and the pit' are my favourites by far. If hammer were ever to do such a thing i would gather all my kinfolk from my village,march to london with pitchforks and flaming torches,storm their offices and drive stakes through their hearts

george n
07-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Ian exactly which extras did not make it to the dvd?

Ian Jane
07-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Ian exactly which extras did not make it to the dvd?

The DVD contains:

-The Flesh & The Fury documentary
-US Theatrical Trailer

The Blu-ray contains:

-The Flesh & The Fury documentary
-The Props That Hammer built featurette
-US Theatrical Trailer
-Double Feature Trailer
-Still Gallery
-Isolated Score & Effects Track
-Deleted Scene

bgart13
07-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Not liking the revisionist tinting I see in your caps, Ian. Less irritating than the darkness of VAMPIRE CIRCUS (perhaps?).

Ian Jane
07-08-2012, 10:09 AM
I had no problem with either Vampire Circus or Twins of Evil. I realize that they're different looking than previous DVD releases in terms of gamma/color etc., but they didn't look artificially messed with to my eyes. Then, I only have the old Carlton DVD of Twins to compare (if I still have it, it's been years), which didn't look great. Either way, I was quite happy with both of the Synapse Hammer Blu's so far.

bgart13
07-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Double post

bgart13
07-08-2012, 02:44 PM
I checked the couple of versions of TWINS that I have, and it seems the tinting varies from almost none (MGM HD version) to some slight bluish-green tinting (Network dvd). I was looking at the cave scene with Price, based on your cap, Ian. Not sure what to make of it. Perhaps revisionist was too strong a word. Not sure what to make of it all.

For VAMPIRE CIRCUS, I think I'm going to nab the German bd soon, I like the look of it in caps that I found. Here's an example comparing it with the Synapse version (FYI, those are caps from Synapse's dvd first, followed by caps from Koch's bd resized to match):

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/1526/vlcsnap00004br.pnghttp://img849.imageshack.us/img849/4310/circusdervampiregross1.jpghttp://img824.imageshack.us/img824/2898/vlcsnap00003cf.pnghttp://img140.imageshack.us/img140/6941/circusdervampiregross3.jpghttp://img269.imageshack.us/img269/4844/vlcsnap00005bu.pnghttp://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4585/circusdervampiregross2.jpg

bgart13
07-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Here it is! A true Hammer Classic!

http://www.hammerfilms.com/news/article/newsid/371/the-curse-of-frankenstein-release-date

http://www.hammerfilms.com/uploads/cache/00001/00001746/00001746-266x381.jpeg?v=1

Hammer, Icon Film Distribution and Lionsgate are proud to present Terence Fisher's Gothic classic The Curse of Frankenstein fully restored in High Definition and for the first time in its original Academy ratio of 1.37:1.
Available 15th October in the UK & Ireland on 3-disc Double Play, the pack includes 1 x Blu-ray and 2 x DVD packed full of brand new content. Featuring new documentaries and bonus extras, and including the infamous "eyeball" scene, which was originally banned but has now been fully restored.

The Curse of Frankenstein
Double Play: 1 x BD & 2 x DVD
Cert: 15 (TBC)
Released: 15th October 2012
Region B/2

Single Blu-ray 50 disc

HD Main Feature – Never before released “Academy” ratio 1.37:1 – 83 mins – DTS MA 2.0
HD The Curse of Frankenstein (1.66:1 version) – alternate aspect ratio – 83mins – DTS MA 2.0
New audio commentary with Marcus Hearn & Jonathan Rigby
Frankenstein Reborn: The Making of a Hammer Classic (new & exclusive)
Life With Sir (new & exclusive Peter Cushing documentary)
Four Sided Triangle (bonus feature film) 80 mins
Tales of Frankenstein (bonus TV pilot) 25 mins
The Tale of Tales of Frankenstein (new & exclusive Ted Newsom documentary)
World Of Hammer: The Curse of Frankenstein 25 mins
Stills show
English HOH subtitles for Main Feature

Double DVD

DISC #1:
Main Feature – Never before released “Academy” ratio 1.37:1 – 83 mins – DD 2.0 – English HOH subtitles
The Curse of Frankenstein (1.66:1 version) – alternate aspect ratio – 83mins - DD 2.0
New audio commentary with Marcus Hearn & Jonathan Rigby
DISC #2:
Frankenstein Reborn: The Making of a Hammer Classic (new & exclusive)
Life With Sir (new & exclusive Peter Cushing documentary)
Four Sided Triangle (bonus feature film) 80 mins
Tales of Frankenstein (bonus TV pilot) 25 mins
The Tale of Tales of Frankenstein (new & exclusive Ted Newsom documentary)
World Of Hammer: The Curse of Frankenstein 25 mins
Stills show
PDF Original shooting script
PDF all-new booklet “The Creator’s Spark: Hammer’s Frankenstein Begins” with text by Hammer archivist Robert J. E. Simpson

Synopsis:
Baron Victor Frankenstein is the archetypal aristocrat: well-read, cultured and arrogant. Beyond the sophisticated veneer exists a cruel, utterly unscrupulous man, obsessed with ambition. Determined to realise his greatest dream, to create life, he assembles a creature from organs gathered from various unwilling donors. The creature is successful brought to life but the instability of the brain, irretrievably damaged, causes uncontrollable and violent spasms that result in indiscriminate murder... and it is the Baron to whom the blame is laid, with fatal consequences.

History:
The Curse of Frankenstein is a classic 1957 British horror film by Hammer Film Productions, based on the novel Frankenstein (1816) by Mary Shelley. It was Hammer's first colour horror film, and the first of their Frankenstein series. Its worldwide success led to several sequels as well as the studio's versions of Dracula (1958) and The Mummy (1959) and established "Hammer Horror" as a distinctive and uniquely British brand of Gothic cinema. The film was directed by Terence Fisher and starred Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee in two of their most iconic roles.

Cast:
• Peter Cushing as Baron Victor von Frankenstein
• Christopher Lee as The Creature
• Hazel Court as Elizabeth
• Robert Urquhart as Dr. Paul Krempe
• Valerie Gaunt as Justine
• Noel Hood as Aunt Sophia
• Melvyn Hayes as Young Victor
• Paul Hardtmuth as Professor Bernstein
• Fred Johnson as Grandpa

Catalogue number: LGD94955
Barcode: 5060223768168

Apronikoff
07-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Badass! That's fantastic news...

Ian Jane
07-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Agreed. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this movie.

Ian Jane
07-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Hammer just made this post on their facebook page:

RIP Simon Ward, who has died aged 70 following a long illness. For Hammer he was Karl in FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED.

bgart13
07-22-2012, 01:34 PM
And Angharad Rees (HANDS OF THE RIPPER) the day before that too.

Robert W
07-22-2012, 05:43 PM
I just hope Studio Canal isn't overseeing this release.

Ian Jane
08-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Extras announced (http://blog.hammerfilms.com/) for The Mummy's Shroud:

"So here, finally, is a mini-update, specifically about the extras on the forthcoming StudioCanal UK release of THE MUMMY’S SHROUD.

Along with StudioCanal (and, in part, driven by clear passion for trailers from the fans!) we’ve assembled a great 15 min. trailer reel as an extra for this release, comprising:

-THE MUMMY’S SHROUD US theatrical trailer unrestored
-THE MUMMY’S SHROUD US theatrical trailer fully restored
-RASPUTIN THE MAD MONK / THE REPTILE double-bill US theatrical trailer unrestored
-THE DEVIL’S BRIDE US TV spot (b&w) unrestored
-THE DEVIL’S BRIDE US theatrical trailer unrestored
-THE DEVIL’S BRIDE US theatrical trailer fully restored

The October 22nd release also features:
-Remembering David Buck (an original short documentary about one of the stars of THE MUMMY’S SHROUD)
-The Beat Goes On: The Making of THE MUMMY’S SHROUD (an original 22 min. documentary)
-a 6 min. photo gallery!"

Ian Jane
08-16-2012, 02:39 PM
These lovely images just popped up on Facebook.

edit - just noticed Ben was the one to post these on the Hammer page.

bgart13
08-16-2012, 02:40 PM
Yes, they did. :howyoudoin:

Richard--W
08-17-2012, 09:32 AM
A question for the knowledgeable:

has there been a full-screen DVD of The Vampire Lovers?
full-screen the way the old vhs was full-screen?

Ian Jane
08-17-2012, 09:55 AM
So far as I know, all DVD releases (and the Australian Blu-ray) are 1.85.1.

Ian Jane
08-17-2012, 03:36 PM
Looks like they changed the color on The Devil Rides out.

Robert W
08-17-2012, 03:46 PM
Is Studio Canal still going overboard with DNR?

Ian Jane
08-17-2012, 04:19 PM
It wasn't an issue on the Quatermass And The Pit Blu-ray.

It was an issue on the Dracula Prince Of Darkness Blu-ray, though the corrected version is better.

I haven't seen The Reptile or Plague Of The Zombies yet (though they're on order and should be here next week if not tomorrow) but from what I've read they're fine.

Ian Jane
08-19-2012, 08:17 AM
A note on the Hammer Facebook page says that the "Current plan is to release the restored DRACULA next year..."

Paul L
08-21-2012, 04:46 AM
It wasn't an issue on the Quatermass And The Pit Blu-ray.

It was an issue on the Dracula Prince Of Darkness Blu-ray, though the corrected version is better.

I haven't seen The Reptile or Plague Of The Zombies yet (though they're on order and should be here next week if not tomorrow) but from what I've read they're fine.
THE REPTILE and THE PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES seemed fine to my eyes :)

Ian Jane
08-21-2012, 09:06 AM
Yeah, we watched Plague over the weekend and I thought it looked pretty good. Haven't gotten to The Reptile yet, but we will soon.

REALLY looking forward to these upcoming titles... going to be an expensive fall this year.

Robert W
08-22-2012, 08:39 PM
I'll spring for the restored versions of Dracula and The Curse of Frankenstein, but I'm done double and triple dipping on films.

bgart13
08-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Hammer replied on a comment on their last blog post that DRACULA will be the next title released after the October wave. Sounds like January 2013 or so. Still.... Whoopee!

Ian Jane
08-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Any word on if the BFI will be involved with the Dracula release?

Robert W
08-23-2012, 03:32 PM

Too bad Criterion isn't putting this out.

bgart13
08-23-2012, 03:56 PM

No idea. I'm fairly certain that Hammer is using the BFI restoration as the source though (besides the Japanese footage).

Ian Jane
08-24-2012, 09:08 AM
They've just put up a behind the scenes clip from their current production, The Quiet Ones. I'm hoping it's half as good as The Woman In Black.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4My5nK-Xr7Q&list=PL0AF366512E671069

Ian Jane
08-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Holy shit. How bad do I want the upcoming Curse of Frankenstein Blu-ray?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pSKzd_u5RI&list=PLC1EAC3AFD9C425F4&index=0&feature=plcp

This could be the coolest release of the year.

Robert W
08-30-2012, 12:22 PM
Can't watch the vid. Not available in the US yet.

Ian Jane
08-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Dammit. It worked for me earlier this morning, but not anymore.

John Bernhard
08-30-2012, 03:49 PM
What a big tease that uploader is.

bgart13
09-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Hammer posted this one, in the meantime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9-rGA8483I

Really looking forward to October!

Ian Jane
09-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks for posting that Ben. I'm stoked for these three releases even more than I was for the last two.

John Bernhard
09-07-2012, 10:55 AM
A question for the knowledgeable:

has there been a full-screen DVD of The Vampire Lovers?
full-screen the way the old vhs was full-screen?

Yes, there is a full frame UK disc. It came out just before MGM issued their second restoration of VL, so it doen not have Ingrid Pitt rising from the tub with below the waist nudity. Looks like it's still available
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Vampire-Lovers-Ingrid-Pitt/dp/B0000634E1/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1347029466&sr=8-2

It's the same transfer that appeared on the MGM VHS from 1999.

Ian Jane
10-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Two notes just sent out on Twitter:

"We've just been reviewing #Dracula1958 restoration. UK & Japanese versions appear to use different takes for Mina seduction. Fascinating!"

"As we've already blogged, we're basing our restoration of Japanese footage on @BFI's 2007 restoration which is matted 1.66:1 aspect ratio."

John Bernhard
10-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Two notes just sent out on Twitter:

"We've just been reviewing #Dracula1958 restoration. UK & Japanese versions appear to use different takes for Mina seduction. Fascinating!"

I guess they are preaching to the cave dwellers as this has been common knowledge since the Japanese version was rescued 18 months ago.
No doubt the other 1:66 comment is supposed to delect the criticism's aimed at their release of CURSE ( where the 1:66 image appears to have been misframed ).

I really someone else was restoring these Hammer's ( and that they are granted R1 distribution ).

Ian Jane
10-09-2012, 09:42 AM
No doubt the other 1:66 comment is supposed to delect the criticism's aimed at their release of CURSE ( where the 1:66 image appears to have been misframed ).

I really someone else was restoring these Hammer's ( and that they are granted R1 distribution ).

I saw the caps, 1.66.1 does look tight in those shots. The 1.33.1 framing looked really good to me. I'm still probably going to get this. Unless Warner and Lionsgate come to some sort of compromise I don't see this coming out for Region A anytime soon. I'd love to be wrong and see Warner go all out with it, but given that they haven't put out any of their Hammer titles on Blu-ray yet, it's probably a long shot that it'll happen soon.

Horace Cordier
10-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Got an email from Amazon UK with this info:

"The manufacturer has let us know that two special features that were originally advertised as being included on these discs have been removed. The features were:

- The Tale of Tales of Frankenstein (new & exclusive Ted Newsom documentary)
- PDF Original shooting script"

Don't care about the script but I hope the Newsom doc shows up elsewhere.

Ian Jane
10-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Damn. I was looking forward to that documentary too. I wonder what happened?

Andrew Monroe
10-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Damn. I was looking forward to that documentary too. I wonder what happened?

According to a post at the CHFB (http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/topic/41716/More-Hammer-classics-announced-for-bd?page=9), Hammer says via Twitter it's due to space issues.

Ian Jane
10-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Which, if I remember correctly, they had previously said would not be an issue on this release?

Ian Jane
10-15-2012, 10:32 AM
They've updated their blog with a lot of information regarding some of the controversy surrounding the various aspect ratios of some of their films.

http://blog.hammerfilms.com/?p=166

Nothing on the Devil effects changes though.

Paul L
10-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Received my CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN Blu-ray today. It's alright, I suppose, but the 1.66:1 transfer seems way off - it's presented with a common centre framing, when it seems pretty clear that it should have a common top framing, so all of the compositions look way off. The paranoiac in me can't help thinking that this may be a way of justifying the disc producers' stubborn commitment to the Academy presentation that's on the disc - especially in light of the most recent post on the Hammer restoration blog. I can't help but find this a very frustrating release.

Nice extras though. The short featurette on Cushing is really touching.

Looking forward to THE MUMMY'S SHROUD and RASPUTIN next week.

Robert W
10-16-2012, 06:12 PM
That sucks about Curse of Frankenstein, as it was one of the few bds I was planning on upgrading to.

Ian Jane
10-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Paul, what did you think of the fullframe version?

Paul L
10-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Paul, what did you think of the fullframe version?
Although I'm convinced by the claims that the film was most likely intended to be shown at 1.65:1, I watched the film via the fullframe version due to the fact that the compositions on 1.66:1 version on the disc seem 'off' from the get-go. Once I became accustomed to it, I thought the compositions in the fullframe version were mostly pretty good, although to my eye there seems to be a lot of 'dead' space at the bottom of the frame and there are quite a few shots that seem a bit unbalanced because of it. I'll post some grabs from both versions later, but they'll be from the DVD version as I don't have a BD drive - they'll illustrate the differences in shot composition between the two versions though. To my eyes, it's a decent transfer though: I wasn't watching it under a microscope, but there didn't appear to be any major evidence of ugly digital filtering or anything of that sort, which is a bonus. There's been some complaint about the transfer, and it does look a little ropey at the start (with the WB logo and the opening matte painting) but improves as the film progresses. (EDIT: In fact, I've just flicked through it again, and I'd say it's the whole of the first reel that looks a little rough. Don't ask me why, as I haven't a clue.)

At the moment I'm using the software on my computer to crop the fullframe DVD presentation to 1.65:1, with a common top framing - just to see how it looks in comparison with the (common centre) 1.66:1 version presented on the disc. It's not a scientific test, but as the farmer says in the wonderful BABE, 'That'll do, pig. That'll do' :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjQtzV9IZ0Q

But all my persnickety grumbling aside, it's easy to forget what a bloody good film this is, and this release easily eclipses the Warner disc - it's just a little frustrating. I'm certainly looking forward to the DRACULA restoration, although I'm much less of a fan of that film as I am of THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN.

Ian Jane
10-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Thanks Paul, I'm probably going to buy this one regardless. I love the movie too much.

Paul L
10-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Screenies incoming.

Paul L
10-17-2012, 01:08 PM
The opening matte:
1.37:1 version is on top, the 'official' 1.66:1 version (common centre framing) is centre, and the 1.65:1 version I've created (common top framing) is on the bottom. The screenies are random samples from within the film and not selected to push any agenda.
http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/820/43303983.png
http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/3/90312930.png
http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/805/44561028.png

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/694/76726252.png
http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/411/64619749.png
http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/831/15597762.png

Paul L
10-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Some more. Same rules apply.

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/32/48673452.png
http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/827/87567975.png
http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/31/47482484.png

Paul L
10-17-2012, 01:25 PM
http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/197/96562341.png
http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/696/61381877.png
http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/96/33932437.png

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/577/17780293.png
http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/850/45140929.png
http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/607/17432355.png

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/687/84085905.png
http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/24/59015348.png
http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/405/29344435.png

Paul L
10-17-2012, 01:32 PM
I guess from those screenies, you can make up your own mind, but to my eyes the 1.37:1 version probably fares the best. The 1.65:1 'common top' crop works nicely for those matte shots, much better than Lionsgate's common centre-framed 1.66:1 presentation. The common centre-framed 1.66:1 version looks alright in these screenies, but for my money you only need to watch the first ten minutes of the film on the disc to notice how 'off' the compositions are in that particular presentation of the film. I guess you pays yer money, and you takes yer choice :)

The extras are very good, though. I haven't watched it all yet, but the presentation of FOUR SIDED TRIANGLE (in SD on the Blu-ray) looks very handsome. Oddly, the WORLD OF HAMMER episode also looks much better here than I remember it looking elsewhere.

Ian Jane
10-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Thanks for that Paul. I'm fine with the fullframe version I think. I would have assumed it was open matte but it looks like there's more side info on the 1.66.1 version? Puzzling what they've done here.

Paul L
10-17-2012, 01:40 PM
You're right, Ian: the 1.37:1 version is a little 'tight' horizontally. I hadn't noticed that till you pointed it out.

What's also odd is that on the DVD presentation, there's a few seconds difference in the running time between the fullframe and 1.66:1 presentations, with the latter running 10 seconds shorter. However, on the BD both the 1.37:1 version and the 1.66:1 presentation have the same running time :dunno:

Ian Jane
10-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Curiouser and curiouser...

Ian Jane
10-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Except now there's this:

http://blog.hammerfilms.com/?p=321

"The source material used for the October 15th UK Double Play release of the restored THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN was an InterPositive (I/P), which was scanned at 4k by Warner Motion Picture Imaging especially for our 2012 restoration. This is the exact same source material used by Warner Bros. for their 1.77:1 DVD release, though that transfer appears to have made use of sharpening filters."

More at the link.

Robert W
10-17-2012, 03:29 PM
Ok, so the film was shot in 1.66:1, not in an open matte, but the source material was framed at 1.77:1.

Again, what is it with this new batch of Hammer bds?

Paul L
10-17-2012, 03:44 PM
The Ra-Ra-Rasputin BD is said to look very nice, according to advance word of mouth. I'm hoping THE MUMMY'S SHROUD does too, but I'm probably one of the few people on God's Earth eagerly awaiting that particular title :it'slonelyinheresmiley:

Ian Jane
10-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Posted this in the Scream Factory thread but figured it should be mentioned here as well that Scream! Factory is going to be releasing The Vampire Lovers on Blu-ray next year. Hopefully it's not just a port of the Aussie disc.

bgart13
10-19-2012, 03:27 PM
I don't think Cliff would let that happen.

Robert W
10-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Posted this in the Scream Factory thread but figured it should be mentioned here as well that Scream! Factory is going to be releasing The Vampire Lovers on Blu-ray next year. Hopefully it's not just a port of the Aussie disc.

I wonder if there will be any new extras?

Ian Jane
10-23-2012, 11:22 AM
A couple of new reviews for the Mummy's Shroud Blu-ray...

http://www.cineoutsider.com/reviews/bluray/m/mummys_shroud.html

http://cinemart-online.co.uk/blu-raydvd-reviews/58246/the-mummys-shroud-blu-ray-review/

Horace Cordier
10-23-2012, 06:43 PM
Just got all the new Hammers. Going to start with CURSE tonight.

Ian Jane
10-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Don't know if it has been mentioned yet or not but Hammer stated on Twitter this morning that they're working on an HD restoration of The Witches.

Horace Cordier
10-24-2012, 11:49 AM
Well CURSE looks a bit ropey on the Blu but still better than the Warner's DVD.

Cushing is magnificent of course but what really struck me this time is how simply fantastic Lee is in his non-speaking role. And Urquhart is wonderful as Paul. He seems to have been unfairly forgotten as one of the key ingredients that makes the film work so well.

And the historical commentary is really really good.

Apronikoff
10-24-2012, 12:05 PM
I haven't watched the main feature on the CURSE BD yet, but wanted to comment on how nice the special features are. There's a great interview with Cushing's personal secretary about her life working for him, the 35 min making-of doc (with some pretty funny stories), the World of Hammer episodes, the Frankenstein pilot episode, and a bonus feature film to boot.

As a Hammer fan, I think this release is worth the money for the extras alone...

Ian Jane
10-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Well CURSE looks a bit ropey on the Blu but still better than the Warner's DVD.

That's more or less how I feel about it too. The Blu-ray didn't floor me but I'm happy to have it and look forward to digging into the extras after watching the feature last night.

It's still one of my favorite Cushing roles. A great movie all around.

Paul L
10-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Got THE MUMMY'S SHROUD at the weekend. Only glanced through it so far, but it looks very nice to my eyes.

Ian Jane
11-08-2012, 02:57 PM
From the official Hammer Twitter feed:

"Very soon the (restored, longer) climax of #Dracula1958 will be a moment that you can indeed pay for! Watch this space!"

Robert W
11-08-2012, 07:08 PM
From the official Hammer Twitter feed:

"Very soon the (restored, longer) climax of #Dracula1958 will be a moment that you can indeed pay for! Watch this space!"

So how are they going to screw this one up? Ruin the audio like they did with Rasputin? Go apeshit with DNR like on Dracula: Prince of Darkness? Or maybe they'll "update" the special effects like they did with The Devil Rides Out?

Honestly, as much I would love to see this film restored/uncensored, I have absolutely no confidence in Hammer's releases anymore.

Ian Jane
11-09-2012, 06:33 PM
From their FB page:

"Today, courtesy of the BFI, we scanned 3 reels of an archive UK print of FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL. We found the film's original BBFC "X" certificate card, the "artery teeth clamping" scene and the "Helder eyeball surgery" scene (neither are in the US cut) along with a couple of very short additional moments. We'll post to the Restoration Blog in detail next week!"

Robert W
11-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Good news. I missed out on getting that German disc that had the artery clamping scene intact. Looks like this is shaping up to be the definitive version of the film. Just hope they don't fuck it up.

Horace Cordier
11-09-2012, 08:02 PM
If the BFI are involved this is good news.

Ian Jane
11-10-2012, 02:17 PM
If the BFI are involved this is good news.

Yeah, that definitely gives me faith after a couple of obvious screw ups.

Richard--W
11-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Here is a fair and balanced summary of the screw-ups:

http://www.reelandimagined.com/2012/11/hammer-blu-rays-what-the-devil-is-going-on/

Ian Jane
11-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Just announced on Facebook...

"We're happy to announce 18th March 2013 as the UK release date for Dracula (1958) aka Horror Of Dracula (the BFI's 2007 restoration plus censored footage restored) from Icon and Lionsgate. Check-out our new cover photo!"

Robert W
11-11-2012, 01:03 PM
I don't own any of BFI's releases. How do they stack up quality-wise?

Ian Jane
11-11-2012, 01:17 PM
They're generally very nice. I've got a bunch and am quite pleased with them.

Horace Cordier
11-11-2012, 06:44 PM
BFI are close to Criterion level quality for the most part.

Robert W
11-11-2012, 07:16 PM
Good to hear. Looks like I'll be buying this then.

Ian Jane
11-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Some info on the restoration and aspect ratio of the Dracula restoration just posted at the Hammer Restoration Blog (http://blog.hammerfilms.com/?p=335).

Robert W
11-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Some info on the restoration and aspect ratio of the Dracula restoration just posted at the Hammer Restoration Blog (http://blog.hammerfilms.com/?p=335).

Looks like Hammer is getting a well deserved hiding from the fans over their, how shall we say, questionable recent releases on that blog. Hopefully they'll listen to the fans and take it upon themselves to correct their previous errors and refrain from committing them again on future releases.

Ian Jane
11-14-2012, 01:56 PM
They seem to be ignoring most of the negative feedback, sadly.

Robert W
11-14-2012, 07:41 PM
They seem to be ignoring most of the negative feedback, sadly.

I noticed that. They seem especially unwilling to take part in any on-line discussion concerning the CoF aspect ratio controversy as well.

As an aside, I really find quite mystifying that there has been so many problems with their bds as of late. You'd think after the hubbub over the D:PoD disc they'd have tightened the reins on their qc.

Ian Jane
11-15-2012, 10:46 AM
You'd think so, and yet it seems to have continued - though as far as I know the Rasputin and Mummy discs are fine. Haven't picked them up myself yet.

Robert W
11-15-2012, 06:53 PM
You'd think so, and yet it seems to have continued - though as far as I know the Rasputin and Mummy discs are fine. Haven't picked them up myself yet.

The Rasputin disc suffers from some rather glaring audio problems. So I'd be giving it a pass until they can be rectified.

Clive Smith
11-16-2012, 08:08 AM
With the exception of QUATERMASS AND THE PIT, I've held off on these releases in the hope that they're handled better when they eventually hit other territories.

Paul L
11-21-2012, 06:10 PM
The Blu-ray releases of the John Gilling pictures (ZOMBIES, MUMMY'S SHROUD, REPTILE) are all problem-free, as far as I'm concerned, Clive. Those discs are worth owning, imo.

Ian Jane
11-23-2012, 10:03 AM
I haven't watched Reptile yet and didn't get Mummy's Shroud (but will soon enough) but I was pretty pleased with the way that Plague turned out and felt it was a very worthy upgrade from the old AB DVD.

Clive Smith
11-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Cheers, Paul & Ian - I'll bite.

Ian Jane
12-11-2012, 06:49 PM
From their twitter feed:

"Many fruitful hours spent in the studio today recording + mixing Marcus Hearn & Jonathan Rigby commentary for two versions of #Dracula1958."

Ian Jane
12-22-2012, 04:12 PM

Richard--W
12-23-2012, 06:36 AM
Eager to see this.

Let's hope Hammer and Lionsgate get the aspect ratio and the timing right this time.

Richard--W
12-23-2012, 06:38 AM
The Blu-ray releases of the John Gilling pictures (ZOMBIES, MUMMY'S SHROUD, REPTILE) are all problem-free, as far as I'm concerned, Clive. Those discs are worth owning, imo.

Paul, how do the Gilling blu-rays compare in picture quality to Quatermass and the Pit? Are they as good or do they come close?