PDA

View Full Version : Troll Hunter/Trolljegeren (André Øvredal, 2010)

Paul L
07-07-2011, 06:23 PM
I gather this has already been released in the US.

I sat down to watch TROLL HUNTER tonight with fairly low expectations and found myself enjoying it immensely. For me, one of its strengths was that it didn't take itself too seriously and made plenty of ironic nods to folklore. The use of stones as bait in the giant troll-trap and the throwaway lines about the use of tyres to mark the boundaries of troll territories, because trolls can't resist stopping to chew a tyre, had me in stitches. I particularly loved the sequence in which Hans, the titular Troll Hunter, tethered one... then two... and finally three goats to a stone bridge in order to tempt out a stray troll, and when the troll appeared Hans suddenly popped into the shot wearing a home-made suit of armour and muttering something about not how much he hates his job.

I also loved the suggestions of conspiracies regarding the trolls, which within the logic of the film made absolute sense - eg, the electricity pylons in the countryside that seemingly go nowhere are there to act as electric fences, preventing the tall trolls from moving outside their territory.

But yes, this appealed to the child in me, in much the same way as Turkish robot films do. I'm not ashamed to say that I thoroughly enjoyed TROLL HUNTER. In fact, it's the most fun I've had with a newly-released film in years. I hope it gets a cinema release over here.

English-friendly trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/embed/_WN-a8ZA1uo

Has anyone else seen the film yet?

Paul

Ian Jane
07-08-2011, 09:29 AM
It actually hasn't been released here yet (well, it might have played a small theatrical run), but Magnolia put the trailer on their Hobo With A Shotgun and 13 Assassins discs, so it's coming soon, August I think. I didn't know anything about it until I saw the trailer and I have to admit, it looks kind of awesome. I look forward to checking it out.

Mike T
07-08-2011, 09:52 AM
I shall be reviewing it for the next issue of Screem. Haha! :biggrin:

Ian Jane
07-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Thumbs up? Thumbs down? You dug it? Worth seeing?

Mike T
07-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Don't know yet! Paul posted the above topic starter and a few hours later the screener list came through in my Inbox from my editor...and there was Troll Hunter amongst them! From memory, I think I posted the trailer in the B-movie and DTV thread...

With luck I should have it next week, or so, with some other groovy things so I'll let you all know how it shapes up. But I'm guessing, from experience, Paul's take on it will be virtually the same as mine. The request was also put in for me to review Witchfinder General, post shared thoughts on Odeon's BD, so there'll be that too. I was planning on doing that one as a feature review for the new blog, but now we're all just going to have to wait until street-date on the magazine (as I don't like to undercut Darryl with online versions of stuff I'm doing for him). ;)

Mike T
07-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Here's the trailer (again) from the B-movie thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLEo7H9tqSM

Whoops! Paul already popped up a link in his post - oh well, better twice! :)

Paul L
07-09-2011, 07:20 PM
The trailer is a pretty good representation of the film, but I underestimated just how funny the film was going to be. The humour is mostly very dry, but there's some more 'wet' humour too (there's a sequence in which the protagonists are trapped in a cave with several snoring, farting trolls). I'd hate to oversell the film and inflate people's expectations of it, but I enjoyed it immensely. It helped that, just before watching it, I'd read The Three Billy Goats Gruff to the kids at bedtime :biggrin: I think (hope) you'll both find the film massively entertaining.

Ian Jane
07-22-2011, 09:18 AM
US DVD & Blu-ray release coming from Magnolia 8/23. I like the cover art.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91HcDvJyH8L._AA1500_.jpg

Mike Howlett
07-22-2011, 05:51 PM
This is playing here tonight. If I can stay awake till 10PM, I might head over. But I'm old...

Ian Jane
07-25-2011, 11:09 AM
Did you make it?

Todd Jordan
07-25-2011, 11:21 AM
Does Aint It Cool News ever say anything bad about a movie, or just say wonderful one-liners to get on DVD covers? I've never gone to that website (why would I need to?) but it seems they always do that. Are they just a PR machine?

Ian Jane
07-25-2011, 11:24 AM
They used to get cool scoops and gossip all the time, but I haven't been there in years and have no idea if it's still good for that or not. The layout there eventually started to drive me crazy so I stopped checking it.

Paul Casey
07-25-2011, 12:30 PM
They used to get cool scoops and gossip all the time, but I haven't been there in years and have no idea if it's still good for that or not. The layout there eventually started to drive me crazy so I stopped checking it.

Princess Layout?

Todd Jordan
07-25-2011, 01:22 PM
shut up.

Mike Howlett
07-25-2011, 06:09 PM
Did you make it?

No, I figured I'd grab the blu for less than the cost of taking my wife to the movies. Then I don't have to dress to watch it.

Ian Jane
07-26-2011, 09:01 AM
We are brothers of the same mind.

Clive Smith
07-26-2011, 10:39 AM
Then I don't have to dress to watch it.

haha.

Mike T
07-26-2011, 01:26 PM
I shall be reviewing it for the next issue of Screem. Haha! :biggrin:

The "Haha!" is on me! Looks like I probably won't be reviewing it for the next issue, as it wasn't mentioned in the updated screeners on their way to me. :sosad:
I am guessing that I didn't get my request in quite quick enough when the list went out. Oh well, just have to wait for the UK release now...

Mike T
08-18-2011, 10:55 AM
@ Ian: now that you have the Troll Hunter BD, you'll be able to give us all some supplemental feedback. As noted above, obviously my request when the screeners list went out didn't get in quick enough and I dipped out (meaning three reviews instead of four). Luckily for me though, Momentum are releasing it in the UK soon and I can import when that happens.

Ian Jane
08-18-2011, 11:00 AM
I'll have a review up of the Magnolia RA release up in the next few days, with some screen caps.

Mike T
08-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Cheers! :up: (I guess this'll teach to me announce something before it's confirmed)