PDA

View Full Version : The Howling Films

Shawn Francis
07-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Okay, guys, load up your guns with as much hate as you can, for here it is, the trailer for the new HOWLING movie. Let me just say it looks like shit. Looks like they went the Twilight route with it. So sad. Fango is gonna do a 2-part retrospective starting in issue #307 (September) of he original, and superior, version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbzSOtGZsgo&feature=player_embedded

Todd Jordan
07-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Is this a remake? or a new tale?

Shawn Francis
07-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Without having read the original novel I can't tell. But if I recall, I think, the novel is supposed to revolve around kids, or A kid, so this may be a remake closer to that. Either way, I don't like it. The werewolves, from what I glmpsed, look like crap. It's too polished, and shiny, and filled with too many kids for my liking.

Mike T
07-14-2011, 12:27 PM
Is this a remake? or a new tale?

I'm guessing it's a new story ala the reboot route. The trailer has the vaguest of sniffs of Brandner's Howling III: Echoes, but it doesn't remotely resemble in the slightest the original novel (which Dante's first film and John Hough's Original Nightmare did).

However, if it gets a US R-rating and has some boobies in it, I'll give it a bash. ;)

Shawn Francis
07-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Weird, I'm just dyin' to see THE THING prequel, but couldn't care less about THIS remake.

Mike T
07-14-2011, 02:15 PM
I could live through this. Afterall, I bought all the Twilight films on BD (and before everyone throws their arms up in horror -- my wife used to watch Oprah and she saw some stuff there and decided she wanted to see them, so I bought them for her). That I didn't mind them myself, with a reservation or two here and there, is moot. I'll watch any old shit, as long as it's relatively polished, has something resembling a budget, and doesn't make me look at the clock every other couple of minutes. Mind you, from the trailer it looks like it's been produced on the budget of the last four sequels combined. Haha...

Todd Jordan
07-14-2011, 02:28 PM
I'll watch any old shit, as long as it's relatively polished, has something resembling a budget...

Really? Those are the kind of flicks I seem to dig the most. Rough around the edges, low budget, B-variety fare. One my main beefs with "new" horror is that it looks too polished. The attempts at making things look gritty instead of them actually being gritty turns me off.

But I certainly agree with the "watch the clock" part. I know I'm doomed to painful viewing when I catch myself looking at the display to see how far the movie has progressed. Unless I am being asked to review the movie, I usually turn them off if I look to much in the first half an hour.

Paul Casey
07-14-2011, 02:46 PM
The attempts at making things look gritty instead of them actually being gritty turns me off.

Well said. I take back one of the mean things I've said about you in the past.

Todd Jordan
07-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Which one? I like some of them.

Paul Casey
07-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Pick one, write it on a post it note, and burn it. It will be erased from time.

Mike T
07-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Already up for pre-order on BD at Amazon UK...

Howling 356 @ Amazon UK (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Howling-Reborn-Blu-ray-Lindsey-Shaw/dp/B005EF315M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311821466&sr=8-2) (street date: October 24th)

Shawn Francis
07-27-2011, 11:18 PM
I thought this was a theatrical flick. Hitting DVD in the UK already? Wow.

Mike T
07-28-2011, 12:24 AM
I thought this was a theatrical flick. Hitting DVD in the UK already? Wow.

It probably is, but territories like the UK and down here in Oz just don't have the population to support theatrical releases of these kinds of films* like the US does. Distributors in our regions are more likely to recoup licensing costs by putting them straight out on home video, or cable sales, than taking a gamble on a film that has little to no chance of recovering its costs on a cinema release once you factor in prints, advertising etc etc etc.

I'm sure it'll get theatrical in the US - but out here in the rest of the world BD/DVD is its best chance of getting to its target demographic with a minimum of outlay for the licensors.

* USA pop.: 308+M. UK pop.:62+M. Australia pop.: 22+M (M = million). It's fairly simple maths when you look at those figures, and movies are, afterall, a business. ;)

Shawn Francis
08-13-2011, 11:42 AM
THE HOWLING: REBORN was acquired by Anchor Bay and is scheduled to hit DVD & Blu-Ray, for region 1, on 10/18.

Ian Jane
08-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Fango's got the details on the US release here (http://www.fangoria.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5475:howling-reborn-disc-details-and-art&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=167).

http://www.fangoria.com/images/stories/AUG11_2/howlingreborndvdetailsnews.jpg

Shawn Francis
08-24-2011, 03:42 PM
If I could just get a good look at the werewolves THEN I could tell if this is gonna suck or not.

Barry M
08-24-2011, 04:53 PM
If I could just get a good look at the werewolves THEN I could tell if this is gonna suck or not.

Ain't that always the truth.

Mike T
08-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Here's the cover of Anchor Bay's UK edition...

Paul Casey
08-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Here's the cover of Anchor Bay's UK edition...

hahaha

Ian Jane
08-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Wow. For real? That's fucking awful.

Todd Jordan
08-25-2011, 10:50 AM

I have no doubt of it's suckitude. They'll probably look like cartoons.

Mike T
08-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Wow. For real? That's fucking awful.

Whereas I find it much preferable to the US artwork, which makes the film look like one of those public domain titles you find in the $2 bins. ;)

That said, it is unconfirmed artwork - but it's what's been up on Amazon UK for a week or more.

Ian Jane
08-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Whereas I find it much preferable to the US artwork, which makes the film look like one of those public domain titles you find in the $2 bins. ;)

The US art looks more like a nod to the original to me.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51P503F2G0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The UK art is obviously going after the Twilght market.

Mike T
08-25-2011, 11:05 AM
The US art looks more like a nod to the original to me. The UK art is obviously going after the Twilight market.

Oh, I got that -- hence posting the UK sleeve for a comparison. UK marketing, as we all know, is much more blatant than American. But then, they only have a population 20% the size of the US, so I guess it's more every man for himself to make that all important cost-to-return ratio worth their while.

Ian Jane
08-25-2011, 11:09 AM
Sure, I won't begrudge any company from trying to make a profit and in turn stay in business. But the US art doesn't look like cheapo PD art to me, but a throwback to the original's marketing materials. I appreciate that more than I appreciate catering to the teen segment, but I'm old and jaded so, yeah.

Mike T
08-25-2011, 11:11 AM
And I'm older and more jaded, yet I still just roll with this stuff because it seldom changes the quality (or lack thereof) of the film itself... :p

As the old saying goes: you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Ian Jane
10-05-2011, 09:02 AM
So I watched this last night and.... it's horrible. Full review soon, but this was an awful, awful, awful movie.

Shawn Francis
10-05-2011, 02:49 PM
What did the werewolves look like? That's what I want to know.

Ian Jane
10-05-2011, 03:08 PM
I'll have some screen caps tomorrow. Some of them looked okay, others looked more like vampires. The transformation scenes are all CGI and about 2 seconds each, nothing like those in the original movie. This is a Twilight knock off, pure and simple. I'm surprised it even got an R rating.

Shawn Francis
10-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Twilight knock-off, I knew it. I can NOT believe they did that with THE HOWLING name. Shame on them.

Ian Jane
10-10-2011, 09:57 AM
The more I think about this the more it bugs me. I understand the need and want, at least from a commercial perspective, to make a movie that's going to cash in on a trend. This is nothing new, it's been happening for ages and it's simply part of the business. With that said, I don't see why, if they felt that they HAD to make a teen-centric werewolf movie, that they couldn't have at least tried to do something a little more original with the concept than what they did here. If they were going for the R rating they got, they could have upped the exploitative elements considerably and maybe at least delivered a fun 'trash film' but the movie doesn't even have that going for it. If they hadn't tacked 'The Howling' onto it this would probably irk me less. Not that the sequels in the series have really been great but it does, to an extent, disrespect the original movie (which I hold in very high regard).

The Silly Swede
10-10-2011, 10:34 AM
It looks to metrosexual to me. Though I am not a horror man, so I can't really say much. Perhaps they are all like these nowadays and I have just missed it.

Todd Jordan
10-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Twilight knock-off, I knew it. I can NOT believe they did that with THE HOWLING name. Shame on them.

Plenty of other people have already soiled the name. Why not more? Pile it on.

Ian Jane
02-14-2015, 11:19 AM
Coming from Scream Factory...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t31.0-8/s960x960/10873639_572825819521100_6573357402940691690_o.jpg

Alex K.
02-14-2015, 11:47 AM
Confession: I've never seen the original. I've seen all of the sequels but never the original. I have it here and I really should watch it but just haven't gotten around to it.

Part 2 I've seen more than I like to admit. Really fun "So bad it's good" flick. Easily the best sequel.

Part 3 I've seen maybe 2-3 times. Each time I hope to like it but after the 1st act it just falls apart. There's some genuinely funny moments but not enough of them. And none of the characters are likable and the story is all over the place.

Part 4 is (another confession) the only movie in my life to have ever made me puke. I remember it very clearly back in the day, USA Network was running a week-long marathon of the Howling movies and I tuned in for Part 4 and somehow missed all of the boring shit in it. But I managed to start watching right at the scene where a guy melts and becomes a werewolf. Incredibly, the scene played out uncut on USA. Great scene but my 9 or 10 year old self was overwhelmed and puked and was terribly nauseous the rest of the day. No other film did that for me, closest I ever came to puking again was when I was 13 and watched City of the Living Dead but I held out. I saw the whole film many years later and it's unremarkably bland and uninteresting aside from that one scene.

Part 5 I've only seen once, that's the one set in the castle, it was okay. Can't complain too much about that one.

Part 6 is easily the second best sequel. Has an interesting plot and some good effects work and a lot of interesting things going on. The only thing it needed were more scenes showing the werewolf or the vampire.

Part 7 is one of the worst films of all time. I don't even think it's so bad it's good.

Shawn Francis
02-15-2015, 09:28 PM
I have no memory of having started this thread. Wow. I must be getting old.

Ian Jane
02-16-2015, 10:00 AM
In your defence, when you started it it was specifically about the last movie. I changed the title to let it cover the whole series.

Shawn Francis
02-16-2015, 12:35 PM
Ah-ha! That's why this thread doesn't ring a bell.

Todd Jordan
02-16-2015, 12:37 PM
Confession: I've never seen the original.

man, you've got to get on that. today.

bgart13
02-16-2015, 05:40 PM
man, you've got to get on that. today.

It's only the best one in the series. In fact, it's the only good one in the series!

Ian Jane
05-14-2015, 09:07 AM
Extras announced for the BD of II:

**FINAL EXTRAS for HOWLING II Revealed!**

Get ready to bay at the moon with excitement after you read what killer bonus materials we have lined up for our upcoming blu-ray of the Sybil Danning "Stirba Werewolf Bitch" cult classic!

• Audio Commentary With Director Philippe Mora
• Audio Commentary With Composer Steve Parsons And Editor Charles Bornstein.
• Leading Man – An Interview With Actor Reb Brown
• Queen of the Werewolves – An Interview With Actress Sybil Danning
• A Monkey Phase – Interviews With Special Make-Up Effects Artists Steve Johnson And Scott Wheeler
• Behind the Scenes Footage (in HD - from Philippe Mora’s archive)
• Alternate Opening and Alternate Ending (in HD – from Philippe Mora’s archive)
• Theatrical Trailer
• Still Gallery

Ian Jane
08-29-2017, 05:48 PM
New UK Blu-ray release coming soon for The Howling:

Brand New Extras:
- Howlings Eternal with Producer Steven A. Lane
- Cut to Shreds with Editor Mark Goldblatt
- Interview with Co-writer Terence Winkless
- Horror's Hallowed Grounds: A Look at the Film's Locations
- Interview with Stop-Motion Animator David Allen
- Audio Commentary with Author Gary Brandner

Ian Jane
02-20-2018, 09:52 AM
Zavvi exclusive steelbook available for those who care.

https://m.us.zavvi.com/blu-ray/the-howling-zavvi-exclusive-limited-edition-steelbook/11686922.html

Alex K.
02-26-2018, 09:30 AM
I have still yet to watch the original.

Ian Jane
02-26-2018, 10:10 AM
You should remedy that, it's very good.

null
02-26-2018, 02:21 PM
One of my earliest memories of being scared, in a theater, is seeing the trailer for The Howling before a screening of Flash Gordon in 1980. I was either 8 or 9 (birthday is in December), so cut me some slack. :)

I was terrified in the theater, had nightmares for a solid couple weeks, and that trailer is one that I can still see, almost shot for shot, when I close me eyes and recall. I didn't get to see The Howling in the theater (had to wait for videotape) but when I did see it, it had far less impact than it likely should have due to my own buildup of what a horror show it was based on my emotional memory of the trailer (if that makes sense?)

Regardless of all that, it's so worth the ~90 minutes, Alex.

Tom Clark
02-26-2018, 08:14 PM
The werewolves in the first Howling are my favorite on-screen wolves. That scene where Belinda Balaski looks up from the filing cabinet and sees this looking at her still gives a nice jolt:

https://cinemaknifefight.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/the-howling1.jpg

How fierce does that fucker look?

Ian Jane
02-26-2018, 09:23 PM
They were clearly a big inspiration for the werewolves in Todd Sheets' Bonehill Road (which, if you are into old school werewolf effects, you should see).

Ian Jane
05-20-2018, 02:26 PM
Shout! Factory steelbook edition coming soon....

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-howling-limited-edition-steelbook?product_id=6782

Ian Jane
10-03-2018, 05:59 PM
Scream Factory. January 2018.

Matt H.
10-03-2018, 08:34 PM
Very excited for this. HOWLING III is bonkers.