PDA

View Full Version : SCANNERS To Become A TV Series (Sound Off Below)

Shawn Francis
07-22-2011, 03:42 PM
DEADLINE (http://www.deadline.com/2011/07/dimension-to-develop-scanners-tv-series/): David Cronenberg's science-fiction horror classic Scanners may be headed to the small screen. The Weinstein Co.'s Dimension Films is developing a drama series adaptation of the movies about a group of people with telepathic and telekinetic abilities, with The Hills Have Eyes writer-director Alexandre Aja signed to executive produce the series and potentially direct the pilot.

Dimension was not involved in the original 1981 Scanners film or its sequels, but acquired the rights to the franchise in a development deal several years ago. The original plan was to mount a theatrical remake, with David Goyer tapped to write two drafts, and Rene Malo, Clark Peterson and Pierre David signed as producers. But with the recent resurgence of genre TV dramas like AMC's monster hit The Walking Dead, Dimension started also considering a small-screen adaptation. According to insiders, it was Dimension principal Bob Weinstein and Aja who conceived of the plan to transform the Scanners property into a TV show. Malo, Peterson and David remain attached as executive producers on the series, while Goyer is no longer involved. Dimension is already in talks with potential showrunners to create and run the series. Aja is repped by WME and Industry Entertainment.

Shawn Francis
07-22-2011, 03:42 PM
This COULD work, but to keep it's faithfullness to the concept in general it NEEDS to be on cable, NOT basic TV.

Ian Jane
07-22-2011, 04:18 PM
My prediction is that this wil suck.

Mark C.
07-22-2011, 09:18 PM
If they have Michael Ironside then it shall be gold. But seriously I dont have high hopes for this despite Aja being involved.

Ian Jane
07-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Do you think Ironside would be game? I guess if he were on board it might work, but has he done much TV work?

Todd Jordan
07-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Why would they use Ironside? He's not pretty, young, or a hot stud so no girls will want to tune in. They'll only use pretty people and they'll turn it into some garbage with 8 million characters that no one cares about. They'll do an exploding head in the first episode, then they'll fill the rest of the season with drama, romance side stories, and typical moron tv characters. Then the season finale they'll give another exploding head scene (CG of course). Junk.

Mike T
07-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Why would they use Ironside? He's not pretty, young, or a hot stud so no girls will want to tune in. They'll only use pretty people and they'll turn it into some garbage with 8 million characters that no one cares about. They'll do an exploding head in the first episode, then they'll fill the rest of the season with drama, romance side stories, and typical moron tv characters. Then the season finale they'll give another exploding head scene (CG of course). Junk.

What Todd said. Whilst I liked the first sequel, the original and the second sequel were just "meh" movies and this talk of a TV series has been kicking around since the first film was an unexpected international success. If they go ahead with it, more power to them as I'm sure it'll have an inbuilt audience that will follow it no matter what it's like.

But in all honesty, as I was never a great fan of Cronenberg's film to begin with (in nearly thirty years I've never felt compelled to revisit it) this idea has about as much use to me as that Total Recall TV series that was bandied around forever but never happened. ie: none. Just more "creativity bankrupt" nonsense to rope in the modern genre-kids who seem to think being "hip" to old school genre stuff makes them cool somehow or bathes them in post-modern irony.

I mean, c'mon, how many times have we all read something online from a genre-tween along the lines of "It's old, and it's cheesy, and it's shit -- but that's what makes it sooooo cool"? Young, totally missed the original's point, and (ironically) also shit. ;)

Mark C.
07-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Actually they did make the total recal tv show I have the complete series. Its nothing to write home about though.