PDA

View Full Version : The Last Circus

Dom D
08-10-2011, 05:58 AM
Anyone seen this one yet? It looks damnably good, and I'm sure I'm going to see it, but I've somehow never been able to get into a Iglesa film. The trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8sEZAB13_o

Ian Jane
08-10-2011, 08:58 AM
I caught the trailer for this a week or two ago and completely agree, it looks pretty interesting. Lots of style in that trailer and this looks like it could be suitably crazy. I kind of get a Santa Sangre vibe from it, though that could just be because of the circus setting.

Toyboy
08-10-2011, 11:40 AM
I can't wait for this. I'm back and forth with de la Iglesia - DAY OF THE BEAST, PERDITA DURANGO, and EL CRIMEN FERPECTO were each amazing but I really did not like DYING OF LAUGHTER and COMMON WEALTH at all. I have high hopes for THE LAST CIRCUS though.

Ian Jane
08-10-2011, 11:45 AM
I'm also feeling a little bit of Pasolini here too - but maybe that's just because of the clown movie he made that I saw not that long ago.

Day of the Beast and Perdtita are both great - haven't seen any of his other films...

Toyboy
08-10-2011, 11:54 AM
I have a copy of 800 BULLETS but have never watched it. I don't know why, since it has a great premise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/800_Bullets_(film)

Ian Jane
08-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Oh wait, I have seen 800 Bullets. I don't remember liking it very much.

Ian Jane
08-12-2011, 02:16 PM
http://www.hulu.com/watch/267614/movie-trailers-the-last-circus---exclusive-clip---youre-free

Terry C
08-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Looks like a winner to me, I'd also throw some Fellini influence in there too. So much bizarre shit to contend with.

Ian Jane
08-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Cover art for Magnolia's R1 DVD...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51o8pTOLNoL.jpg

Toyboy
08-17-2011, 03:13 PM
What's scarier - a clown with a gigantic meat cleaver, or a clown with 2 Uzi's?

Ian Jane
08-17-2011, 03:25 PM
What's scarier - a clown with a gigantic meat cleaver, or a clown with 2 Uzi's?

I'm going with Juggalos.

Toyboy
08-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Sooo...all of the above?

Ian Jane
08-17-2011, 04:35 PM
Sort of. It's hard to explain, but I think this picture makes it clear where I stand on the issue.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vY8I5HvOvk8/SjfyZTVLOoI/AAAAAAAAGto/gY-8BMUVRLM/s400/juggalos.jpg

Ian Jane
08-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Fangoria (http://www.fangoria.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5435:qthe-last-circusq-film-review&catid=50:movies-tv&Itemid=181) liked it.

Barry M
08-19-2011, 06:21 PM
I think this picture makes it clear where I stand on the issue.

Huggalos.

I note that they seem to be admirably free of off-the-shelf tattoos.

Ian Jane
09-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Magnolia's press release just went out for the US release.

A TWISTED TALE OF LOVE, REVENGE AND PSYCHOPATHIC CLOWNS…

THE LAST CIRCUS

The 2010 Venice Film Festival Winner For Best Director And Best Screenplay Makes Its DVD and Blu-ray™ Debut October 18 From Magnolia Home Entertainment Under The Magnet Label

“Brilliant.” - Ain’t It Cool News

"If the idea of an unholy collaboration between Guillermo del Toro, Federico Fellini and William Castle appeals to you, put near- masterpiece The Last Circus on your must-see list right now.” - Salon

“Cult status is assured.” - Variety

LOS ANGELES, CALIF. – Called “brilliant, bizarre, dazzling and utterly demented” (New York Times), the shocking tale of two murderous clowns in a twisted tale of love and vengeance, The Last Circus steps right up to Blu-ray and DVD October 18 from Magnolia Home Entertainment under the Magnet label. From cult director Álex de la Iglesia (The Oxford Murders, The Day of the Beast) and starring Antonio de la Torre (Volver, Che: Part Two), the “insane,” (Chud) “sinister and grotesquely funny” (Village Voice) film follows two clowns – one sad and one happy – as they enter into a peculiar and unforgettable love triangle.

The film follows Javier, a second generation clown who dreams to follow in his father’s footsteps as a Happy Clown but has seen too much tragedy and suffering in his life to be anything but its counterpart. He finds work in a circus where he befriends an outlandish cast of characters, but as the Sad Clown, he must take the abuse of the brutish Happy Clown, Sergio, who humiliates Javier daily in the name of entertainment. Included in the ménage is Natalia, a gorgeous acrobat and the abused wife of Sergio. Javier quickly falls deeply in love with her and attempts to rescue her from her tyrannical Happy Clown husband, however, Natalia is torn between her affection for Javier and her violent lust for Sergio.

Set in both the brutal Spanish Civil War and the tail end of the Franco regime, The Last Circus is a “a searing, intimate work riffing on Hitchcock, DePalma, Fellini, the Universal Monster films and German Expressionism” (Ain’t It Cool News). The DVD and Blu-ray contain bonus features including deleted scenes and the international trailer, and will be available for the suggested retail prices of $26.98 and $29.98 respectively.

Synopsis:
Javier, a Sad Clown, finds work in a circus where he befriends an outlandish cast of characters, including the brutish Happy Clown, Sergio, who humiliates Javier daily in the name of entertainment. It is here that he meets Natalia, a gorgeous acrobat and abused wife of Sergio. Javier falls deeply in love with Natalia and tries to rescue her from her cruel and violent husband, unleashing Sergio’s jealousy. With neither man willing to back down, this twisted love triangle evolves into a ferocious battle between Sad Clown and Happy Clown, escalating to unbelievable heights in this shocking, irreverent and unforgettable film.

Bonus Features:
Making of The Last Circus
Behind the Scenes Segments
Visual Effects
U.S. Trailer
International Teaser
International Trailer

Ian Jane
10-07-2011, 09:10 AM
I watched this last night and, yeah, believe the hype. This movie is pretty great not just on a visual level but on a thematic level as well and the performances are also very strong. It's pretty twisted, but with a good emotional core to it.

Paul Casey
10-07-2011, 09:38 AM
emotional-core

\m/ \m/

Dom D
11-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Couldn't make it to the end of this one. I think I must be very poor with visual comprhension because I just couldn't make head or tail of it. It's pretty much all shot in close up, with a hundred cuts a minute and a director who dances back and forth across the line. Quantum Of Solace is more visually coherent. Makes me yearn for the days when directors had to pay their editors by the cut.

The self conscious wackiness of it gets annoying fast too. Slow dialogue scene? Well cut to a guy taking a jump on a motorcycle and smashing himself into a wall.

Toyboy
11-25-2011, 08:53 PM
I appreciated the layering of one insane set-piece on top of another and by the time Javier had been captured in the woods I was hooked. There were nice nods to PERDITA DURANGO, TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2 and Tim Burton's BATMAN. This is one of the better De La Iglesia films, but I have to say that I prefer the actual translation of the title - A SAD TRUMPET BALLAD - to the American title.

Real quick - I'm surprised there hasn't been more fandom buzz over Video Watchdog's Tim Lucas starring here as Javier, and I'm doubly surprised Donna let him do all those nude scenes.

Dom D
12-09-2011, 08:54 AM
Real quick - I'm surprised there hasn't been more fandom buzz over Video Watchdog's Tim Lucas starring here as Javier, and I'm doubly surprised Donna let him do all those nude scenes.

Eh? Did I totally miss this or is this a joke?

Barry M
12-09-2011, 09:54 AM
I spend a lot of time scouring the internet for nude Tim Lucas pics. These were all I could find:

http://www.manpaper.com/ViewCelebInfo_8072.html

http://www.icelebsdb.com/Profile_36532.html

Edit: NSFW, obviously.

Looking forward to this!

Randy G
12-30-2011, 04:50 AM
Really love the Sad Trumpet Ballad song featured here performed by Raphael, what a strange and haunting pop tune.

Goldberg
01-03-2012, 05:05 AM
I'm going with Juggalos.

They're like American versions of bogans, with less money, right?

Scyther
03-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Really love the Sad Trumpet Ballad song featured here performed by Raphael, what a strange and haunting pop tune.

Agree with you here; was really impressed by that song! Watched the Blu Ray the other day, and really enjoyed it. Thought the characters were complex and fleshed out well, although I think I enjoyed the first two-thirds of the film more than the last act. That being said, I could definitely recommend it, simply on visuals alone. Particularly loved the opening credits montage.

sukebanboy
06-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Just got ahold of this one and looking forward to watching it as I am great fan of the director... DAY OF THE BEAST, PERDITA DURANGO and ACCION MUTANTE especially.......

Paul L
07-01-2012, 03:44 PM
I watched this about three or four months ago, sukebanboy, and absolutely loved it. It's a darkly funny and (imo) cleverly allegorical little film that's fun to watch.

I think the Pasolini comparisons are apt, but there's also a hint of Fellini here too - the picture drips with the atmosphere of the carnivalesque and the grotesque.

sukebanboy
07-01-2012, 08:44 PM
That is reassuring to know Paul....Thanks...

I remember picking up a copy of ACION MUTANTE when it was released...totally blind buy as I had never heard of it (the cover intrigued me)....Let's just say I got a MUCH different film than the cover suggested....and from then I was a fan....Seeing PERDITA DURANGO in the theater sealed the deal for me....

sukebanboy
07-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Just finished watching it...What can I say....another great movie from the director...I enjoyed it a lot...Weird, violent, historical themes, good characters, great visuals....well made movie...

HOWEVER, still think SANTE SANGRE is the best Circus Picture ever mad.....can anyone top that????