PDA

View Full Version : Shameless Releasing Four Flies On Grey Velvet 12/5/11 DVD & Blu-ray!

Ian Jane
08-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Some I missed this news, but it's confirmed at everyone's favorite UK message board here (http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/four-flies-grey-velvet/6093-sham202-sham035-four-flies-grey-velvet.html).

If they do this one right, I'm all over it.

Toyboy
08-16-2011, 06:02 PM
...I'm all over it.

Like flies on grey velvet?

Ian Jane
08-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Something like that, yeah.

Mike T
08-17-2011, 02:05 AM
Like flies on grey velvet?

Hah! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

PS: I have been reliably informed, since I first heard about this a month or so ago, that Garwin (Shameless head honcho) did the legwork in Rome and properly licenced this one. Unlike Mya/One 7, who took ownership of a catalogue licence as free reign to put out whatever was covered by that contract. Thus, fear not! It's all legit and (should) come from best elements.

Ian Jane
12-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Twitch has got the details here (http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/12/four-flies-on-grey-velvet-blu-ray-details-from-shameless-screen-entertainment.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TwitchEverything+%28Twitch%3A +Everything%29).

Special Features:
- Introduction to the film by Luigi Cozzi.
- New, exclusive and extensive recent interview on the making of Four Flies On Grey Velvet with writer and assistant director Luigi Cozzi.
- Original English audio remastered in HD exclusively for this Shameless release from the original magnetic soundtrack and available for the first time since the film’s original theatrical opening in the 1970s.
- Shameless re-build edit of the complete version of the film including four inserts of previously missing footage known amongst Argento fans as the legendary “missing forty seconds” (the inserts are in Standard-Definition quality). The Blu-ray will allow for seamless branching of the four inserts giving viewers two versions of the film: one all HD without the re-inserted scenes and one longer version including the inserts.
- Restoration of all individual damaged frames, most notably with respect to the removal of the black diagonal frame line (caused by the film jumping the high speed camera gate) in the final car crash sequence.
- Optional Italian audio version in HD with English subtitles.
- Italian and English trailers.
- Alternate English opening and closing credits.
- Shameless Trailer Park (Blu-ray only).

Ian Jane
12-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Cover art! I like it, but calling it 'lost' is a pretty serious line of bullshit.

Ian Jane
02-22-2012, 10:09 AM
So I watched this last night and since I don't feel like doing a full review for it I'm gonna list off some points that kinda went through my head while watching it - I think this was my third time viewing it.

-this is definitely the best it's looked on home video so far, but the transfer is frequently soft and suffers from some very strange filtering in some of the darker scenes, the most obvious being the first time we see the two leads in bed together in the house. Something screwy is going on there, it almost looks like dude is covered in something. It's not natural film grain, it's some sort of filtering or artifacting and it happens a few times in the movie and is pretty distracting.

-The interview with Luigi Cozzi is interesting, particularly as he dishes the dirt regarding Martino's take on one of this movie's more infamous murder scenes (Martino more or less ripped off Argento it seems) and talks about Dario's dislike of 'watching the films of his imitators.' At any rate, Cozzi's generally a pretty interesting interviewee, this piece is no exception.

-The opening fifteen minutes of the movie are great, the finale is also really well done - the middle, however, is pretty slow. There's a bit of mild nudity and some sex to spice things up a bit but the movie really does drag a lot more than I remember it doing.

-Morricone's soundtrack is awesome and the audio tracks on this don't suffer from the pitch problems that the MYA DVD did. The missing footage is also present, albeit inserted from a much rougher looking source (better to have them here than to not).

Alison Jane
02-22-2012, 10:30 AM
I will review it...

Dull movie.

No flies or velvet.

Ian Jane
02-22-2012, 10:47 AM
You slept through the ending.

SPOILERS!

There are flies at the end.

END SPOILERS!

Ian Jane
02-22-2012, 11:52 AM
Also, something that bugs me - labelling the 'Shameless Trailer Park' as an extra. These are not trailers, these are promo spots made by Shameless. Vintage trailers are rad. Everyone loves them. Newly made promo spots are... advertisements. I guess trailers are too, but they're more interesting as artifacts and such. I like them. I don't like newly made promo spots passed off as trailers.

I think that's all the complaining out of my system now.

Alison Jane
02-22-2012, 12:42 PM
These are not trailers, these are promo spots made by Shameless.

I guess their name is fitting.

Dave Starry
02-22-2012, 02:17 PM
-Morricone's soundtrack is awesome...

Agreed...I love that jazzy title track especially. Of the three Morricone soundtracks for Argento's 'animal trilogy', this one is my favorite.

By the way, is the Shameless blu-ray region free? I need this movie to fill the hole in my Argento collection, but held off on buying the inferior Mya DVD.

Ian Jane
02-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Yep, it's region free and there are no encoding issues with the extras either, everything played fine on my PS3.

Dave Starry
02-22-2012, 06:53 PM
...excellent... (http://www.mattsmoviesounds.co.uk/sounds/excellent.wav)

Ian Jane
02-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Apparantly (http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/four-flies-grey-velvet/7746-four-flies-grey-velvet-reviews-5.html) there are some issues with the English track on the disc, serious distortion and level jumps towards the end of the movie. I watched it in Italian and didn't notice anything too screwy.

Andrew Monroe
02-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Agreed...I love that jazzy title track especially. Of the three Morricone soundtracks for Argento's 'animal trilogy', this one is my favorite.

My favorite of the three from Morricone is BIRD, but I think overall his work with Argento is well below the standards of his other gialli scores. Just a personal preference.

I'll probably get this Shameless BD at some point but I'm in no hurry.

Dave Starry
02-23-2012, 01:38 PM
...I think overall [Morricone's] work with Argento is well below the standards of his other gialli scores. Just a personal preference.

I'd have to agree with you there Andrew. My favorite Morricone giallo scores would probably be "Una Lucertola Con La Pelle Di' Donna", "La Tarantola Dal Ventre Nero", and "Le Foto Proibite Di Una Signora Per Bene".

Andrew Monroe
02-23-2012, 03:53 PM
I'd have to agree with you there Andrew. My favorite Morricone giallo scores would probably be "Una Lucertola Con La Pelle Di' Donna", "La Tarantola Dal Ventre Nero", and "Le Foto Proibite Di Una Signora Per Bene".

All excellent choices, Dave. LE FOTO ...is particularly brilliant. Another couple of his that I rate highly are MIO CARO ASSASSINO and COSA AVETE FATTO A SOLANGE?

Ian Jane
06-30-2016, 09:05 AM
German media book Blu-ray release coming soon.

https://www.amazon.de/Fliegen-grauem-Blu-ray-Limited-Collectors/dp/B01HNORNBE?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1467215688&sr=1-2&keywords=Vier+Fliegen+auf+grauem+Samt&tag=bluraycom04-21

enandalusiskhund
06-30-2016, 10:53 AM
This is just a repack of the old Koch BD, right?

Ian Jane
06-30-2016, 11:12 AM
Hard to say for sure but it's a pretty safe assumption.

I do like the cover art a lot...

Marshall Crist
06-30-2016, 11:43 AM
I do wish someone could put out a disc of this that wasn't a cock-up.

Ian Jane
01-02-2018, 10:37 AM
It seems that Shameless might have some new Argento releases lined up for 2018?

Raf A.
01-03-2018, 03:35 AM
It seems that Shameless might have some new Argento releases lined up for 2018?

The scissors suggest it may be Opera. What a shame if it really is! Shameless will royally fuck it up :(

s.chivers
01-03-2018, 04:12 PM
Agreed. I’m hoping they’re going to have another go at Four Flies. I’d rather see Arrow handle Opera.

Derrick King
01-03-2018, 04:40 PM
All the more reason to buy Scorpion Releasing's 3-disc OPERA in April.

Raf A.
01-04-2018, 03:11 AM
All the more reason to buy Scorpion Releasing's 3-disc OPERA in April.

I'll cross my fingers and hope Arrow have it. Not a fan of Diabolik's inflated shipping rates.