PDA

View Full Version : Good songs ruined by singing

Todd Jordan
09-15-2011, 01:23 PM
For me, certain singing styles turn me right off. A lot of times I just can't listen to a band when the singing irritates me (like Rush).

I love the music in this one, but the singing kills it. ANd the chorus, although it cracks me up, makes the song too comical for me to take it seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KmDHhzJYzc

Ian Jane
09-15-2011, 01:32 PM
Blanket answers maybe but pretty much anything by Led Zepplin or Rush. Dylan doesn't bug me like he used to, I kinda like his voice now but I know some people can't stand it.

Paul Casey
09-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Led Zepplin ... Dylan

I'll add to that Tom Petty. Though, I don't really like his music, either. I heard some Maiden United last night...the covers were good, musically, but the singing...yargh. However, I find that most singers irritate me, so no biggie, really.

Ian Jane
09-15-2011, 01:53 PM
I can see it with Petty, but his voice doesn't bug me much. It's weird though that things change over time and all. I used to hate King Diamond's voice and now I think it's pretty rad.

Todd Jordan
09-15-2011, 02:16 PM
I'm more of an instrumental guy myself. King Diamond kills me, and I have a hard time listening to Slayer because of the singing. Some songs I can handle, some not. I hate Brian Johnson's voice, more so after the 80s. I could unfortunately never get into Dio due to his voice, and same with Judas Preist. Metal Church has such awesome music on that first album, and I can handle the singing on it, but I never was able to get past it enough to get into them more.

Ian Jane
09-15-2011, 02:23 PM
So it's more or less safe to say that you have no love for falsetto metal. But what you do think about the cookie monster death metal guys?

Todd Jordan
09-15-2011, 03:06 PM
Don't like the cookie monster ones either. Yeah I don't like the high singing. Metal, disco, or otherwise. I'm so picky.

Would you consider Joey Belladonna of Anthrax to be falsetto? I like John Bush's voice much better, but I love that 80s Anthrax stuff.

Ian Jane
09-15-2011, 03:38 PM
He hits some high notes, but not like Halford or King Diamond.

Toyboy
09-15-2011, 06:19 PM
RE: Dylan - it's not the voice that gets me as much as the fucking harmonica.

The dude from Budgie...fuck. They had such amazing songs but his bizarre voice just destroys them.

I would say that 95% of metal singers are lousy, in my opinion. I spend a lot of time checking out metal tracks on iTunes and more often then not the vocals keep me from buying songs that were cool musically.

Ian Jane
09-15-2011, 07:19 PM
When Eminem first got big I kinda hate his voice. I got over it though.

Frank Black's vocals took a while to grow on me too. Couldn't get into the Pixies until a few albums in. Now they're a favorite.

Randy G
09-16-2011, 03:26 AM
Can't stand Eminem's voice myself, but then I don't care for the music or lyrics either.

I'd have to say Yes and Rush for sure. Didn't like Dylan at first but learned to dig it, especially when he's playing with the Hawks in the mid-60s tour, he sounds better with a loud electric band, less mannered.

A lot of death metal cookie-monster stuff just sounds goofy, I'm not sure what it's supposed to be expressing beyond 'Hey, I sound like Mercedes McCambridge in the Exorcist!' but I do dig certain death, grindcore, black and sludge/doom metal vocalists. Attila Csihar's vocals on the Sunn0))) albums and Mike Williams of Eyehategod are terrific for instance.

Mike Howlett
09-18-2011, 07:03 AM
I've always thought that Guns n Roses would be a good instro band.

I'm so happy to know that I'm not the only one who despises Robert Plant.

Terry C
09-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Anything Rush.

Todd Jordan
09-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Five Finger Death Punch. Some of those riffs are intense and amazing, and then you've got growly-then-whiney singing. Totally ruins it. I'm not of fan of that singing style. Slipknot same deal for me.

Ian Jane
03-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Pink Floyd's Great Gig In The Sky.

Those chicks in the background needs to shut up.

Alex K.
03-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Yes- Heart of the Sunrise.

Todd Jordan
03-26-2012, 06:17 PM
that the one where they wail and wail and are asking to be gagged by skin thimbles?

Marshall Crist
03-26-2012, 11:35 PM
When Eminem first got big I kinda hate his voice. I got over it though.

Frank Black's vocals took a while to grow on me too. Couldn't get into the Pixies until a few albums in. Now they're a favorite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDjduvqiOJU

^I was gonna say that I wish Jagger had sung this, but Frank Black actually kinda kicks ass on it.

Paul Casey
03-27-2012, 07:46 AM
Danava came on my pod's shuffle yesterday. Rad tunes, but 90% of the time, the guy's voice makes me want to crash my spaceship into his face.