PDA

View Full Version : What the world needs now is a Charles Bronson thread.

Ian Jane
09-16-2011, 05:45 PM
So here it is, and the world is now a better place.

Bronson, more than most other 'action movie guys' connects with me for whatever reason in ways that the others generally don't. I don't know if it's his kind of weary face and weathered look that gives him more humanity and therefore vulnerability (in turn maybe making his characters more believable and/or sympathetic) or what, but the dude is a bad ass and he deserves your love.

With that said, has anyone seen the Sony MOD release of release of Stone Killer?

The Warner Archive site, which carries it, lists:

Studio: SONY
Screen Aspect: 16 X 9 FULL FRAME
Run Time: 95 minutes
Special Features: Audition Footage; Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary; Director, Writer and Producer commentary

Packaging Type: Amaray Case
Subtitle Languages: Chinese Traditional
English
French
Korean
Portuguese
Spanish
Thai

I'm going to guess 16x9 fullframe means 1.78.1 widescreen - but does this really have audition footage and a commentary?

Alison Jane
09-16-2011, 05:49 PM
That man wears the hell out of a top hat. :yup:

Ian Jane
09-16-2011, 05:53 PM
I talked a co-worker into watching Master Of The World today based primarily on the fact that he does wear a top hat in that movie.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hDwFaGurd8M/ThF4kaoxXgI/AAAAAAAAGGk/luiiwdsfXTw/s1600/motw02.jpg

Robin Bougie
09-17-2011, 01:54 AM
My STONE KILLER is on order, but has not arrived!

MUST HAVE! I knew nothing about audio comms and such. Even more excited now.

In other news, here is SCARY TALES #2 (oct 1975), where the artist was clearly using photos of Bronson as reference for a character:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4037/4654192163_0a9b3c7cdc_o.jpg

Ian Jane
09-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Oh wow. That's pretty neat. Do me a favor and let me know how Stone Killer shapes up when it arrives? I have the R2 but will upgrade for a good commentary.

Ian Jane
09-29-2011, 09:18 AM
Watched Death Wish II last night for the first time in a while. It holds up, pretty sleazy stuff. Not the classic the 1st movie is or as nutty as the 3rd but a good, solid revenge movie and Bronson is tough as nails in it. Dude is just cold as ice once he gets into 'vigilante mode.' Vincent Gardenia's part just seems kind of crammed into the movie simply just to have him in the movie though.

Barry M
09-29-2011, 10:21 AM
I watched FAREWELL, FRIEND on the Wild East dvd (it's paired with RIDER ON THE RAIN). It's a twisty Japrisot vet buddy crime caper, with Alain Delon. Bronson pimps his girlfriend on a garage turntable, and does a neat meniscus trick. Several kinds of great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9yBM9p7cNs

Ian Jane
09-29-2011, 10:23 AM
How's the video quality on that disc, Barry? I had it in my Amazon shopping cart last week but didn't pull the trigger as sometimes Wild Easts' stuff doesn't look so hot.

Paul Casey
09-29-2011, 10:25 AM
I have the dvd as Honor Among Thieves. I don't remember too much about it, but I know I enjoyed it.

Barry M
09-29-2011, 10:29 AM
I haven't watched RIDER yet (looking forward to it), but FAREWELL looked fine. There've been other F,F releases in widescreen in R2, but this is the first R1 that isn't full-frame, I think. No complaints.

I hope RIDER looks as good.

EDIT: I'm wrong, the Lionsgate HONOR R1 is 1.66:1 anamorphic, although a review (http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/honoramongthieves.php)says it looks more like 1.78:1, so probably packaging error. http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=8879

The R2 Optimum sounds like a great disc for RIDER ON THE RAIN: it has both the French & English versions. http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=15542

Ian Jane
09-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Thanks. I'll probably grab it then. I have one of the R2 releases but the inclusion of Rider makes this one tempting.

Barry M
09-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Review of the Optimum RIDER ON THE RAIN:

http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.com/content/id/71761/rider-on-the-rain-le-passager-de-la-pluie.html

I know I'd never watch the French version, but still, cool.

Clive Smith
09-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Yeah, plump for the Optimum disc - it's excellent (great cover too).

I've not seen HONOUR AMONG THIEVES/FAREWELL, FRIEND but the inclusion of a meniscus trick makes it pretty much obligatory. Is Delon cool?

Ian Jane
09-29-2011, 12:16 PM
Is Delon cool?

Eternally.

Clive Smith
09-29-2011, 12:36 PM
That's right.

Mike T
09-29-2011, 12:44 PM
EDIT: I'm wrong, the Lionsgate HONOR R1 is 1.66:1 anamorphic, although a review (http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/honoramongthieves.php)says it looks more like 1.78:1, so probably packaging error.

TBH, that's a fairly commonplace thing to say for people watching a 16:9 1.66 image on a 4:3 CRT; overscan will create the illusion that the image "appears" to be 1.78 (as the pillar-boxing is cropped off the sides by the overscan). And as that review was especially vague in that respect, I'm guessing that (like a lot of incorrect assessments) it was watched on a 4:3 TV.

Ian Jane
09-29-2011, 12:47 PM
The cover art on that Lionsgate disc blows. Makes it look like a Bond knock off or something.

http://www.cinemastrikesback.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/HonorAmongThieves.jpg

Mike T
09-29-2011, 12:48 PM
The cover art on that Lionsgate disc blows. Makes it look like a Bond knock off or something.

Or a TV movie, like Family of Cops or whatever that film was Charlie did towards the end of his career...

Barry M
09-29-2011, 01:49 PM
TBH, that's a fairly commonplace thing to say for people watching a 16:9 1.66 image on a 4:3 CRT; overscan will create the illusion that the image "appears" to be 1.78 (as the pillar-boxing is cropped off the sides by the overscan). And as that review was especially vague in that respect, I'm guessing that (like a lot of incorrect assessments) it was watched on a 4:3 TV.

Actually, I linked to the wrong review: it's the dvdtalk one that mentions that the LionsGate seems slightly wider than 1.66:1 (though not exactly 1.78:1) and backs it up with cold hard screencaps.

The box lists Honor Among Thieves as 1.66:1, but it looks wider than that; closer to 1.78:1.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/reviews/190/1183802137_1.jpg

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/29102/honor-among-thieves-aka-farewell-friend/

Anyway, the point was I was wrong to say it was the first widescreen R1. I remain firmly wrong about that.

Robin Bougie
09-29-2011, 10:24 PM
Oh wow. That's pretty neat. Do me a favor and let me know how Stone Killer shapes up when it arrives? I have the R2 but will upgrade for a good commentary.

The rumours of a commentary proved to be inaccurate. Also, no extra features of any kind, and no menu screen. Movie just starts when you put it in. Transfer looks excellent, though.

THE STONE KILLER has some very good things about it, and not so good things about it.

The good: Two incredible action car chase set pieces, two amazing high dummy falls, great 70s style cinematography, really entertaining street location shooting in 3 or 4 cities, including LA and NYC, and a fantastic soundtrack. Three's Company fans will love seeing Jack Tripper and Mr Roper in smaller parts. Should have had Chrissy and Janet show up as colorful hookers! lol

The bad: Blah script, terrible narrative pacing (the kind that movies poorly adapted from novels sometimes have), convoluted plot that I had a hard time following through about 2 thirds of the movie. The aforementioned lack of the extra features.

Robin Bougie
09-29-2011, 10:26 PM
The trailer for THE STONE KILLER:

http://www.myspace.com/video/johnmorghen/trailer-the-stone-killer/10347960

Ian Jane
10-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Robin did you ever get that Stone Killer disc?

Zane C.
10-18-2011, 09:14 PM
You guys owe it to yourselves to get THE WHITE BUFFALO from the MGM MOD collection. It's a great, underrated CB film. I have the Japanese release from a few years back, but the MOD disc will probably be remastered as well. Check it out!

Robin Bougie
10-18-2011, 10:11 PM
I did. I could have sworn I posted about it here.

Is there another thread about dvd-r's that I must have put it in?

Robin Bougie
10-18-2011, 10:12 PM
Oh, it's on the previous page where I wrote about it. Page 2 of this thread, Ian.

Ian Jane
10-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Ah, missed that. I'll stick with my R2 release then. I was only going to upgrade for the commentary. Thanks.

Robin Bougie
10-20-2011, 05:30 AM
Probably a good idea.

Randy G
10-20-2011, 05:39 AM
No mention of HARD TIMES yet? My favourite film with not only Bronson, but James Coburn and directed by a at-his-peak Walter Hill. I don't think there's anything about this movie I would change.

WHITE BUFFALO sounds kind of awesome. I have a copy of STONE KILLER around here and should give it a watch as well.

Ian Jane
10-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Hard Times is out of print, isn't it? It used to be all over the place for under $10, I haven't seen it around in ages. Great movie. Hill was the man at one point.

Ian Jane
11-28-2011, 06:25 PM
German Blu-ray releases coming 1/24/2012.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61S%2B5EGp34L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Kb8hC5P7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I could probably live without From Noon Till Three but I might have to get me a Death Hunt disc...

Todd Jordan
11-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Death Hunt's awesome.

Ian Jane
06-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Anyone on the fence about the admittedly price Hard Times Blu-ray, I dug into it last night and it's really a great looking transfer.

Horace Cordier
06-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Speaking of Le Brute (the affectionate nickname the French had for Bronson) my copy of Olive's SHOWDOWN AT BOOT HILL is due to arrive today.

Which means I know what's for dinner.

Jason C
06-19-2013, 12:13 PM
^^Ya, I was looking around for cheaper prices just a couple hours ago. The transfer sounds great but $30 is a bit more than I want to spend.

Andrew Monroe
06-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Anyone on the fence about the admittedly price Hard Times Blu-ray, I dug into it last night and it's really a great looking transfer.

Funny you mention that, I broke down and ordered it yesterday. Can't wait to see it - I've actually never seen the film.

Horace Cordier
06-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Its great. And Coburn is at his best in it as well.

Richard--W
06-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Hard Times is a favorite of mine from the 1970s. After seeing Hard Times I made a point out of seeing every film by this new director Walter Hill on opening day. Bronson never gave a better performance. Andrew is in for a real treat seeing this for the first time.

Alex K.
06-19-2013, 04:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1748WiWrb0

Richard--W
06-20-2013, 01:38 AM
DE LA PART DES COPAINS (1970) needs a decent transfer in the USA. I saw this suspense thriller in 1971 under the title COLD SWEAT. It came back in 1974 as a co-feature when DEATH WISH ignited the box-office. This was the first film Bronson made with 007 originator Terence Young followed by RED SUN (1971). I went to see it because I had a crush on Liv Ullman who figured prominently in the TV spots. All the USA DVD's are cheap public-domain editions in full screen, with missing footage and muddy transfers. But I don't believe it's actually in the public domain. Desperately needs a blu-ray. I don't know who owns it now buy I nominate Blue Underground to get this out.

6940 - 6941

Come to think of it, RED SUN was a big hit for Bronson when it played in the states throughout the summer of 1972. It kept popping up for years after that as a co-feature. The Evergreen Entertainment DVD is okay BUT ...

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a432/Richard--W/RedSun-1971_zps0e8ad19f.jpg

Ian Jane
06-20-2013, 09:50 AM
OK but... it could and should be way better. You'd think given the talent involved in front of the camera it'd get a better release somewhere in the world.

Mark Tolch
06-20-2013, 10:11 AM
MR. MAJESTYK is rad. ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST is radder.

I love Charlie Bronson, unless we're talking about the episode of the Twilight Zone that he's in.

Scott
06-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Favorite Bronson's:

Breakheart Pass (1975) - And probably in my top five movies all time. Ed Lauter and Robert Tessier, so many great actors in this. David Huddleston, Charles Durning! I never get sick of watching this.

Death Hunt (1981) - So good. All of Bronson's 70's flicks are just filled with great actors. William Sanderson, Andrew Stevens. Ed Lauter shows up.

White Buffalo (1977) - Goofy but great. Makes a fun double feature with Death Hunt when you want more Bronson on snow action. Kim Novak, John Carradine, Martin Kove! Ed Lauter shows up.

Chato's Land (1972) - He's more of a presence, I think he has only two lines? But man what a great flick. Jack Palance's death scene is a favorite, it just goes on and on.

Evil that Men Do (1984) Favorite of his later sleazier output. Great Mexico locations!

Richard--W
06-20-2013, 05:03 PM
THE EVIL THAT MEN DO is a favorite of mine as well. I like Mexican grunge movies and all those films Bronson did with J. Lee Thompson. Do you watch the Columbia DVD or the Hens' Tooth DVD? isn't one of them cut? There were censorship issues with one of the DVD's as I recall.

Scott
06-20-2013, 06:44 PM
I have the Columbia dvd. Not sure if it's cut.

Horace Cordier
06-20-2013, 09:53 PM
THE EVIL THAT MEN DO is a favorite of mine as well. I like Mexican grunge movies and all those films Bronson did with J. Lee Thompson. Do you watch the Columbia DVD or the Hens' Tooth DVD? isn't one of them cut? There were censorship issues with one of the DVD's as I recall.

My cousin wrote this film. He loved Charlie - he also spent every day on the set that this was filmed (HIGHLY unusual for a writer). I've been pestering him for years to write a book about the making of this film and his memories of Bronson. My favorite story is how he wrote the "bi-sexual swinger's" bar dialog and expected Bronson to reject it outright but Charlie thought it was great. Its a highlight of the film.

Richard--W
06-21-2013, 01:26 AM
How cool. I get a kick out of the film. Try to persuade him to write an article about it at least. A reminiscence. He can post it right here on Rock! Shock! Pop! Does your cuz still write scripts?

Ian Jane
07-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Rad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmQTmFizuFY

Robin Bougie
07-02-2013, 05:12 AM
My cousin wrote this film. He loved Charlie - he also spent every day on the set that this was filmed (HIGHLY unusual for a writer). I've been pestering him for years to write a book about the making of this film and his memories of Bronson. My favorite story is how he wrote the "bi-sexual swinger's" bar dialog and expected Bronson to reject it outright but Charlie thought it was great. Its a highlight of the film.

Holy cats. This is awesome, Horace.

Richard--W
07-02-2013, 08:10 AM
Watched THE EVIL THAT MEN DO (1984) for the first time in ages. Thoroughly enjoyed it. The South American locations add so much to a film. You can't get that atmosphere and sensibility in the states. I'd forgotten just how brutal the violence is. That fight where Bronson attacks the muscle-man's crotch made me cringe for as long it lasted, and it lasted awhile. An original premise and solid writing. Liked the writing, Horace. My compliments to your cousin.

Bronson's wife and actress Jill Ireland is listed as an exec producer but she doesn't co-star in this one. I guess it was too nasty for her.

They were a good team, Bronson and J. Lee Thompson. They did how many, 7 or 8 or 9 movies together. Thompson was adept at everything a director needs to be adept at. Composition, timing, actors and non-actors, choreography, staging action, telling a story, creating suspense, pitch and tone. I wish Thompson had directed the James Bond film LICENCE TO KILL (1989) instead of that plodding mediocrity John Glen. LICENCE TO KILL also takes place in South America, but the direction is all over the map. If J. Lee Thompson had directed LICENCE TO KILL it would have been a masterpiece.

sukebanboy
07-02-2013, 08:25 AM
My cousin wrote this film.

Get outta here........:p

Ian Jane
07-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Shit. The Valachi Papers came out on Blu-ray in Japan (http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00C66CZUE?ie=UTF8&qid=1373963163&sr=8-4&keywords=bronson+cosa+nostra&tag=bluraycom-22).

Must... resist.... temptation.

Richard--W
07-19-2013, 09:34 AM
Must... resist.... temptation.

I recently bought the oop American DVD.

What's holding up DEATH WISH on blu-ray? The sequels are out but not the sire of the spawn.

Horace Cordier
07-19-2013, 12:23 PM
I recently bought the oop American DVD.

What's holding up DEATH WISH on blu-ray? The sequels are out but not the sire of the spawn.

Paramount.

The sequels were MGM. DEATH WISH is showing in HD on Vudu. My best guess is that the most likely scenario for a Blu ray is Olive with no bonus features.

Richard--W
07-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Paramount.
That explains it.

The people who made DEAD MAN DOWN (2013) saw THE EVIL THAT MEN DO. Many similarities. At least one killing is recreated -- the one where Bronson wraps a rope around the neck of a thug and throws his body over the balcony of the hotel to hang.

Richard--W
07-26-2013, 10:11 PM
I hear there's a longer cut of THE EVIL THAT MEN DO on vhs? I wonder how extensive the additional footage is. Anyone seen it?

Zane C.
07-26-2013, 11:28 PM
Just rewatched LOVE AND BULLETS for the first time in years. I think the last time I saw this was on TV! I pulled out the VHS and checked it out. It was entertaining, but not AS entertaining as I remember. I still like the film, but it seems to fall flat in parts, and never quite gathers the steam action-wise that it should. Still a solid, middle of the road Bronson film, but this one has slipped a few notches in preference of CB films for me.

Just because I want to have all of Chuck's films on DVD, though, I'll be picking up the reasonably priced Shout (I think) release.

Zane C.
07-26-2013, 11:29 PM
I hear there's a longer cut of THE EVIL THAT MEN DO on vhs? I wonder how extensive the additional footage is. Anyone seen it?

I've never heard this! I'd be interested in seeing a longer cut of this movie as well. There's some rather brutal moments in this flick, but it is pretty solid.

Jason C
08-23-2013, 04:14 PM
As much as I enjoy Charles Bronson flicks I was having a difficult time justifying $32 for HARD TIMES. I couldn't ignore the high praise it was receiving but still, $32 is a lot for a blind buy when a sub-standard DVD is available on Netflix. And other than ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, I've yet to see a Bronson flick I'd be pleased with paying $32 for. That said, all the praise for HARD TIMES is completely justified. It's fantastic and the transfer is stunning. Money well spent.

Richard--W
08-24-2013, 10:57 PM
Now that it's on blu-ray HARD TIMES (1975) continues to win friends and influence people.

Ian Jane
08-27-2013, 01:41 PM
Love & Bullets is coming out 10/22/13 as part of a double feature with Russian Roullette through the Timeless Media wing of Shout! Factory. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DOZNJ1U/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00DOZNJ1U&linkCode=as2&tag=cognitrespon-20)

Love and Bullets (1979)
FBI Agent Charlie Congers, Charles Bronson, is assigned to a case involving a gangster's girlfriend, Jill Ireland, who is being coaxed to give inside information to law enforcement that will put mob boss Joe Bomposa behind bars once and for all. In the end, it turns out that the girlfriend doesn't know much of anything useful to the FBI. But Bomposa feels betrayed and wants her dead anyway. Color, 103 Minutes

Russian Roulette (1975)
A Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer, George Segal, learns about a KGB conspiracy to assassinate their Premier while the leader is visiting Vancouver B.C. After becoming involved in the complicated scheme, he must stay alive and race against time to make sure the assassination does not take place. Color, 93 Minutes

Richard--W
08-27-2013, 04:52 PM
Russian Roulette was much discussed at the time for the directorial debut of Robert Altman's editor Lou Lombardo. Then quickly forgotten. I haven't seen hide nor hair of it since 1975.

Love and Bullets I've never seen. So I'm in for this one although I wish it were blu-ray.

Zane C.
01-08-2014, 10:27 AM
Reviving this thread as I just watched THE MECHANIC in HD again yesterday. This has to be one of my favourite Bronson films. The pacing is great, the story is solid, and the film benefits from Jan Michael Vincent's portrayal of a cold hearted, quick to learn the ropes protege of CB. The twist ending is also great.

This movie scream 70's, and is one of those films that personifies gritty 70's action films which Bronson was so good at.

No doubt many here have already seen this, but well worth seeing if you haven't, or want to rewatch it.

Mark Tolch
01-08-2014, 10:48 AM
Where'd you see that in HD, Zane?

Horace Cordier
01-08-2014, 03:38 PM
It's been on Blu for a while in Germany Mark. I have it.

Zane C.
01-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Where'd you see that in HD, Zane?

On Bell satellite, Mark. The AXN HD channel, I think. It looked great. They also showed MR. MAJESTYK in HD. Waiting for BREAKHEART PASS and THE WHITE BUFFALO in HD as well.

Ian Jane
01-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Full credit to Paul Talbot for digging this up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nXwIZoErc8

Horace Cordier
02-02-2014, 11:40 AM
Paul Talbot just dished this tasty piece up. My cousin John Crowther is heavily interviewed for the piece.

http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/7907-CINEMA-RETRO-SPECIAL-REPORT-PAUL-TALBOT-ON-THE-MAKING-OF-CHARLES-BRONSONS-THE-EVIL-THAT-MEN-DO.html#extended

Ian Jane
02-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Credit to Robin for finding this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vkxYvcJ80s

Horace Cordier
02-04-2014, 12:49 PM
Shout have confirmed that despite the ITC deal that possibly included THE EVIL THAT MEN DO they won't be doing it on Blu ray.

Bummer.

I have heard rumors in the wake of their THE MECHANIC announcement that Twilight Time might be doing 10 TO MIDNIGHT though. I hope so.

Zane C.
02-04-2014, 11:10 PM
Paul Talbot just dished this tasty piece up. My cousin John Crowther is heavily interviewed for the piece.

http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/7907-CINEMA-RETRO-SPECIAL-REPORT-PAUL-TALBOT-ON-THE-MAKING-OF-CHARLES-BRONSONS-THE-EVIL-THAT-MEN-DO.html#extended

This was an excellent read, Horace! Very cool your cousin and Bronson had such a close working relationship. This article confirmed what I always thought about Bronson - that he was a consummate pro, and that he knew exactly what his audience wanted. Also loved that Charlie is described as being very blue collar - what you see was what you got.

For what it's worth, I always thought that TETMD was often overlooked in Bronson's filmography, and was a solid picture that never got the kudos it deserved. It's a gritty, nasty, violent movie, but one made with obvious gusto by all those involved. Bronson fans just ate it up, but people always get hung up on the DEATH WISH movies and forget he did other great stuff as well.

Zane C.
02-04-2014, 11:12 PM
Shout have confirmed that despite the ITC deal that possibly included THE EVIL THAT MEN DO they won't be doing it on Blu ray.

Bummer.

I have heard rumors in the wake of their THE MECHANIC announcement that Twilight Time might be doing 10 TO MIDNIGHT though. I hope so.

Whoa, did I miss an announcement that THE MECHANIC is being released on Blu? Any extras on this? I'll absolutely be buying this!

Andrew Monroe
02-23-2014, 01:14 PM
I watched RIDER ON THE RAIN for the first time yesterday (via the Wild East disc that pairs it with FAREWELL FRIEND). I really liked this Rene Clement (PURPLE NOON) film, very offbeat and stylish. Bronson plays a somewhat unusual character for him, it's a mystery for most of the film what his motivations are. Also cool to see Gabriele Tinti and Marc Mazza (THE GRAND DUEL). Very lovely Francis Lai score too and the ending packed quite an emotional punch.

Jason C
11-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Watched THE WHITE BUFFALO (1977) on US Netflix streaming last night. Its in HD (1:78) with 5.1 sound. The audio and video quality are very good. It wouldn't be impressive as a blu-ray but its better than a standard DVD.

The film caught my attention a couple weeks ago when I was watching a section of animal attack trailers on a DRIVE-IN DELIRIUM dvd. Its an entertaining trailer, but what made it a must see for me is that it stars Charles Bronson and features a John Barry score.

I really enjoyed the film (so did my wife and 7-year-old son). The dialogue isn't great but the scenes with the white buffalo and some of the shootouts are very interesting. I read some reviews that claimed the white buffalo looked cheap and that it's look detracted from the film. I disagree with those reviewers. The buffalo certainly doesn't look "real" but the way it is filmed gave those scenes a surreal almost dreamlike quality that IMO enhanced the experience. My wife and son weren't put off by the look of the buffalo either.

I don't plan on purchasing the MGM MOD of this film but if it were to get a BD release with some special features I would happily add it to my collection.

Ian Jane
12-23-2014, 03:13 PM
Kino just posted this on their Studio Classics page:

"Coming in April (Blu-ray only): THE WHITE BUFFALO ('77) starring Charles Bronson. "You Won't Believe Your Eyes!" "

Jason C
12-23-2014, 04:08 PM
Good to see that Kino reads these forums and that my opinion holds some weight. ;)

Ian Jane
01-13-2015, 02:04 PM

Jason C
01-13-2015, 02:25 PM
Is it blasphemy to say that I watched DEATH WISH 3 and thought it was incredibly stupid.

Zane C.
01-13-2015, 10:43 PM

YES.

Ian Jane
08-13-2015, 05:33 PM
Coming soon from Twilight Time...

Jason C
08-14-2015, 08:50 AM
Coming soon from Twilight Time...

Son of Bitch! Maybe Arrow will release it in the UK.

Ian Jane
12-02-2015, 06:28 PM
Kino has announced Assassination for Blu-ray release in early 2016.

Mark Tolch
12-02-2015, 07:28 PM
Ouch. Netflixed that one recently....it's pretty bad.

Ian Jane
02-02-2016, 04:13 PM
Coming from Kino 5/3/16...

Ian Jane
04-22-2016, 01:53 PM
From 88's FB page:

Rewind back to the cinema of the 1980s and you might discover at least fun fact about an otherwise conservative decade: Hollywood was a lot less ageist! Indeed, in an action genre dominated by Arnold, Chuck and Sly, at least one big name looked as if he was more likely to be collecting his pension than provoking mayhem and that man was the late, great Charles Bronson. The star of DEATH WISH never slowed down, even as the decade came to a close, and 1988's fierce Cannon Films classic MESSENGER OF DEATH is one of the legendary genre star's most menacing motion pictures.

In this fast-paced and potent thriller, Bronson plays an investigative journalist who prods a little too deeply into the affairs of a local, and lunatic, religious organisation. Bullets, blood and a slew of dead bodies soon follow. Mixing Mormonism and malevolence with the sort of high-octane brutality one might expect from director J. Lee Thompson (CAPE FEAR/ DEATH WISH IV: THE CRACKDOWN), MESSENGER OF DEATH is back in HD - and ready to blast its way into your Cannon collection!

Dom D
04-22-2016, 05:43 PM
I was rewatching The Great Escape the other day. Bronson was kind of a pussy in that. That was disappointing.

Ian Jane
06-08-2016, 09:38 AM
Coming September 27th on DVD and Blu-ray!
Cabo Blanco (1980)
• The Making of Cabo Blanco
• Audio Commentary by Paul Talbot, the author of BRONSON'S LOOSE and BRONSON'S LOOSE AGAIN!
• Interview with Producer Lance Hool
• Bronson Trailer Gallery

Ian Jane
09-01-2016, 05:45 PM
Coming from Twilight Time, pre-order's are now live.

willpak
09-03-2016, 05:01 PM
Looking forward to Murphy's Law, it's good fun and the bad guy (Richard Romanus?) is good value.

The Silly Swede
09-03-2016, 05:39 PM
So, I know pretty much all his Cannon work by heart. But what do you peeps recommend that he did before that time?

Matt H.
09-03-2016, 07:16 PM
You've probably seen these, but I highly recommend all of them:

Mr. Majestyk
The Stone Killer
Hard Times
The Mechanic

The Silly Swede
09-04-2016, 04:18 AM
Yes, I have seen all of those already. But good recommendations!

Ian Jane
02-18-2017, 12:57 PM
Some upcoming Twilight Time Blu-ray's:

THE STONE KILLER (1973) BLU-RAY - May 16th
THE VALACHI PAPERS (1972) BLU-RAY - June 13th

Ian Jane
04-19-2017, 04:37 PM
Special Features: Isolated Music Track / Audio Commentary with Bronson Biographer Paul Talbot / Original Theatrical Trailer

Pre-order date: Wednesday, May 3rd at 4 pm EST

Ian Jane
06-12-2017, 11:53 AM
The only extras on this noted on the TT FB page are a partial isolated score.

Ian Jane
10-13-2017, 02:07 PM
An Ideal Partnership - The films of director J. Lee Thompson and actor Charles Bronson - Part 1 (http://screenanarchy.com/2017/10/an-ideal-partnership---the-films-of-director-j-lee-thompson-and-actor-charles-bronson-contrib.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)

Ian Jane
02-01-2018, 11:35 AM
Coming from Mill Creek in April.

Ian Jane
02-03-2018, 11:47 AM
So that Mill Creek set has been pulled, looks like Twilight Time is releasing Breakout.

Alex K.
02-03-2018, 03:17 PM
What Bronson movies aside from the Death Wish franchise and Death Hunt would you guys recommend?

I just realized that I haven't seen a lot of his prime stuff.

Takuma
02-04-2018, 06:00 AM
I was a latecomer on Bronson as well. I didn't see his stuff as a kid, and then when I reached the age of 14 or 15 I discovered Asian action and lost all my interest in "clumsy" American films. It wasn't until recently that I watched most of his Cannon stuff, and enjoyed pretty much everything.

As for Cannon films (aside Death Wish) my favourites were 10 to Midnight (1983) and The Evil That Men Do (1984). I'd start with those. Murphy's Law (1986) wasn't bad either if you can tolerate the foul-mouthed female side-kick. Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects (1989) has its own retarded appeal although it's not an especially good film.

From the 70s action films I've only seen The Mechanic (1972), which is pretty good, and Hard Times (1975) which was probably good but I saw it ages ago. And Violent City, too... that was a solid film with a good car chase and Morricone score! I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Jason C
02-05-2018, 12:30 PM
Check out From Noon Till Three and Hard Times. I didn't care much for The Stone Killer.

Keeth
02-05-2018, 09:28 PM
I think it was The Stone Killer I caught on TCM last summer & it wasn't what I expected. I did like it; seems like the climax is an all-out massacre. I'd like to see it again but not sure I need to own it. TCM will probably run it again, eventually.

Hard Times is cool & I have never heard of Breakout. Death Hunt is one of my favorites.

CB movies I prefer to catch on cable rather than owning. I've watched Death Wish 2 twice in the last month or so on a HD movie channel.

Ian Jane
03-01-2018, 06:42 PM
Coming from Eureka in May!

An action-packed mystery western based on the best-selling novel by Alistair MacLean ( The Guns of Navarone, Ice Station Zebra, Where Eagles Dare), Breakheart Pass throws open the throttle for runaway excitement!

At the height of the frontier era, a locomotive races through the Rocky Mountains on a classified mission to a remote Army post. But one by one, the passengers are being murdered. Their only hope is John Deakin ( Charles Bronson, Hard Times, The Magnificent Seven), a mysterious prisoner-in-transit who must fight for his life and the lives of everyone on the train as he uncovers a deadly secret that explodes in a torrent of shocking revelations, explosive brawls and blazing gun battles.

With a rousing score by Jerry Goldsmith and a powerful supporting cast that includes Ben Johnson ( The Last Picture Show), Richard Crenna ( First Blood) and Jill Ireland ( Hard Times), Eureka Classics is proud to present Breakheart Pass for the first time on Blu-ray in the UK in a special Dual Format edition.

DUAL FORMAT SPECIAL FEATURES

1080p presentation of the film on Blu-ray, with a progressive encode on the DVD
Uncompressed LPCM audio (on the Blu-ray)
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
A new video interview with critic and author Kim Newman
Original theatrical trailer

Dark Horse 77
03-01-2018, 08:34 PM
I think it was The Stone Killer I caught on TCM last summer & it wasn't what I expected. I did like it; seems like the climax is an all-out massacre. I'd like to see it again but not sure I need to own it. TCM will probably run it again, eventually.

Hard Times is cool & I have never heard of Breakout. Death Hunt is one of my favorites.

CB movies I prefer to catch on cable rather than owning. I've watched Death Wish 2 twice in the last month or so on a HD movie channel.

Breakout is well worth watching. Bronson with Robert Duvall in the mid 70s...what else do you need? John Huston hamming it up? They've got that covered too.

Ian Jane
04-12-2018, 08:58 AM
May 2018 from Umbrella.

Ian Jane
11-08-2018, 10:42 AM
Indicator announced Breakout is coming 1/21/19.

https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/collections/frontpage/products/breakout-le

Charles Bronson achieved superstar status in the 1970s with box-office successes such as The Mechanic, Mr. Majestyk, and Death Wish; and 1975’s Breakout was one of Bronson’s biggest hits.

Inspired by real events, this tense adventure thriller casts Bronson as a tough mercenary pilot hired to fly into Mexico on a rescue mission – only to discover the real plan is to break a wealthy convict from a notorious prison.

Co-starring his real-life wife Jill Ireland, along with Randy Quaid, John Huston and the ever-exceptional Robert Duvall, Breakout is a thrilling action-ride, all set to a terrific Jerry Goldsmith score.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

High Definition remaster
Original mono audio
Audio commentary with film historian Paul Talbot, author of Bronson's Loose! The Making of the ‘Death Wish’ Films and Bronson's Loose Again! On the Set with Charles Bronson
Filming ‘Breakout’ (1974): an on-location report made for French television, featuring interviews with Charles Bronson and Emilio Fernández
Super 8 version
Theatrical trailer
TV spots
Radio spot
Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Paul Talbot, an overview of contemporary critical responses, historic articles, and film credits
UK premiere on Blu-ray
Limited Edition of 3,000 copies
All extras subject to change

Paul L
11-08-2018, 04:20 PM
I bougth the German BD release of BREAKOUT not too long ago. I'm not a huge fan of the film but may double-dip for the extras.

Darcy Parker
11-09-2018, 09:10 PM
My junior high English teacher was an extra in Death Hunt and had a signed one-sheet in his classroom.

Ian Jane
11-18-2018, 02:41 PM
Rider In The Rain is coming from Kino in the new year.

Ian Jane
12-20-2018, 10:13 AM
Messenger Of Death is getting a German Mediabook release in March 2019 from Koch.

https://www.dvd-forum.at/news-details/75125-blu-ray-das-gesetz-ist-der-tod-mit-charles-bronson-erscheint-im-limitierten-koch-mediabook

unclefred
12-20-2018, 01:41 PM
Bronson had a number of other good westerns as well, Chato's Land was great, Jack Palance was good in it too. Another one is White Buffalo, a tale involving Wild Bill Hickok and Crazy Horse. Jack Warden is good too and Kim Novak, Slim Pickens and Will Sampson. You can't leave out The Magnificent 7 or Once Upon a Time in the West.

Scott
12-20-2018, 07:00 PM
BREAKHEART PASS is another great Bronson western. Littered with a ridiculous amount of wonderful character actors; Ben Johnson, Richard Crenna, Charles Durning, David Huddleston, Ed Lauter, Robert Tessier and Jill Ireland.

EDIT: Then I scroll up and see it posted there. I'm a dummy.

Paul L
12-26-2018, 07:49 PM
BREAKHEART PASS is another great Bronson western. Littered with a ridiculous amount of wonderful character actors; Ben Johnson, Richard Crenna, Charles Durning, David Huddleston, Ed Lauter, Robert Tessier and Jill Ireland.

EDIT: Then I scroll up and see it posted there. I'm a dummy.
It's got a good score by Jerry Goldsmith too, as I recall.

Scott
12-26-2018, 07:59 PM
I love the shot at the end with Bronson taking it all in after all the shooting. A moment of quiet peace then BAM! The score kicks in and the credits roll. God I love this movie.

Alex K.
12-26-2018, 08:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GASQMDKPy8

Ian Jane
01-17-2019, 11:09 AM
That Mill Creek 4 film Charles Bronson collection Blu-ray is down to $4.99 on Amazon right now.

https://amzn.to/2Cq626l

Ian Jane
01-29-2019, 04:24 PM
Kino announced that Cold Sweat is coming to Blu-ray on 4/9/19.

Ian Jane
02-05-2019, 04:00 PM

Ian Jane
02-05-2019, 06:09 PM
Also coming 4/9/19 from Kino.

Ian Jane
02-18-2019, 10:49 AM
There's a Death Wish boxed set coming out in Germany soon.

https://shop.dtm.at/product_info.php?products_id=70565

Ian Jane
02-27-2019, 10:30 AM
The Evil That Men Do is getting a Blu-ray release in Germany in May.

https://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07NR8G4WY/dvd-forum-21