PDA

View Full Version : The Paranormal Activity Movies...

Mark Tolch
12-06-2010, 01:35 PM
I've got to say, I don't put a lot of stock into "modern horror", just because so much of it is rehashed nonsense that's ripped from some movie that worked well in the past....and I'm of the opinion that if it works, why change it? Why do you need to remake a film, or blatantly rip it off? But, I keep checking this stuff out, on the off chance that something kickass will come along.

Yesterday, I watched PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 2. And my initial response was that it was a piece of garbage. However, after thinking about it.....it did have some coolness. If you saw the first one, you probably either liked it or hated it. There's not a lot of grey area in there, according to most of the folks that I talked to. I thought it was pretty decently done, despite some CGI crapulence at the end.

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 2 needs to be watched with part 1 in mind. My problem upon initial viewing was that it's been so long since i saw part 1, i missed most of the significance. It follows a similar method, the story is told through the use of video cameras, both handheld and installed security cameras. The filmmakers definitely used that to their advantage, and there are some genuinely creepy atmospheric static shots in there. One of the things that creeps me out the most in real life (don't tell anyone), are unfamiliar surroundings when they're...dead quiet. And dark. So a static shot of the dark kitchen at 3 in the morning, even though nothing happens in the minute that it's up on screen, is enough to raise the hairs on the back of my neck.

More subtle than a series of jump scares, it's a well thought-out film, even though the payoff is in the discussion of the film after the fact. Without giving away any spoilers, you need to take into account that a large part of this film takes place immediately before PA1. Although there is a title that comes up "60 Days before the death of Micah Sloat", if you're like me and saw the film more than 10 minutes ago, you have no idea who Micah is.

Anyhoo, worth checking out, if you even mildly enjoyed the first film.

Ian Jane
12-06-2010, 02:07 PM
I wanna see this. Not much else to add except that I liked the first one and am curious to see where they go with the follow up.

Mark Tolch
12-06-2010, 02:13 PM
The only other thing, I thought that i mentioned it, was that the only ending of Part 1 that makes sense with this film is the one that they showed in the theatre, the demon smile end. If you use the other endings that were on the DVD or youtube, they don't work.

Ian Jane
12-06-2010, 02:15 PM
I've seen the alternates and the theatrical ending so I should be good.

Mark Tolch
12-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Well, let me know what you think when you do see it. Now that i've been talking about it with Nadene, and clueing into all of these things....it's like watching MEMENTO a second time around, when you already know what's what, and you're like, "ooooohhhhhh, now i get that.". Haha.

Ian Jane
12-06-2010, 02:37 PM
I'll definitely catch it on video.

chad
12-09-2010, 05:42 PM
I saw it on Halloween and didn't care for it, the only part I kinda dug was the dad being named Daniel Rey and the daughter having those Misfits and Ramones posters on her wall

Mark Tolch
12-10-2010, 09:52 AM
I liked the Daniel Rey thing too. Haha. I thought that i might've been the only one who caught it. The Ramones poster was cool, but when they added the Misfits poster, I thought "trying too hard". Which is funny, because my room was covered with "trying too hard" punk rock posters when i was a teenager....Pistols, Ramones, Clash, DK......and Tim Burton's Batman. :D

chad
12-10-2010, 10:08 AM
I liked the Daniel Rey thing too. Haha. I thought that i might've been the only one who caught it. The Ramones poster was cool, but when they added the Misfits poster, I thought "trying too hard". Which is funny, because my room was covered with "trying too hard" punk rock posters when i was a teenager....Pistols, Ramones, Clash, DK......and Tim Burton's Batman. :D

I think that's part of being a teenager...I had Black Flag, Ramones and DK posters everywhere. It was ok I suppose, granted we never saw the first one

Mark Tolch
12-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Apparently, the tie-in with the first one helps it make more sense. I saw the first one ages ago, and didn't remember any of it, so the second one didn't really do much for me. Once i realized the connection with the first one, it was like, Oooooohhhhh....that's cool.

chad
12-10-2010, 02:14 PM
I liked the Katie character walking around in tight shirts the whole movie

Mark Tolch
12-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Well, you would friggin' love part one then. PARANORMAL RACKTIVITY.

Nolando
12-10-2010, 05:37 PM
But that Micah character from the first has gotta be one of the single most irritating/annoying characters in all of film history.

Ian Jane
04-03-2011, 09:44 AM
But that Micah character from the first has gotta be one of the single most irritating/annoying characters in all of film history.

He's in it for about 30 seconds. I didn't really realize going into this one that it's a prequel. I'd been avoiding reading about it to avoid spoilers so it wasn't until the characters from the first one showed up that it dawned on me. Overall I enjoyed this one but I felt the made the same mistake here as they did the first time around and that's that they overdid it in the ending. It got a bit too Blair Witch in the last ten minutes. The build up was good and the dog was used well. The baby was obviously a tool used to get sympathy from the audience and make you care more (it's only natural to worry about a baby in a dangerous situation I suppose) and there are times where they use this well.

Some good, solid jump scares and some clever low fi effects, though this did up the ante in that department with a few more sensationalist scenes that hurt the believability of it a bit. All in all though, I don't regret renting it and felt it was a decent enough follow up.

Alison Jane
04-03-2011, 12:04 PM
It was what I wanted and expected of it for the most part. That's really all I have to say about it.

What pissed me off INCREDIBLY is the fact that we got this as a PPV (or ON DEMAND if that's what they're calling it nowadays) and they reformatted it to full screen!!!!! Whether or not much was lost, what the hell! :down:

Todd Jordan
04-03-2011, 01:00 PM
that would piss me off too. Not sure if I'll watch part 2. I'd rather watch Alien vs. Ninja. I'm sure it will suck.

Mark Tolch
04-03-2011, 04:50 PM
I kept waiting for shit to happen everytime they cut to the pool vacuum. It was a running joke commentary between Nadene and I while we were watching it.

Mike Howlett
04-05-2011, 05:46 PM
I want to see this only to see Katie's bod some more.

Ian Jane
11-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Anyone check out 3 yet?

I have to admit, I want to see it.

Jens Thomsen
11-01-2011, 04:52 PM
No, not yet. It just opened here last week and actually got some very favorable reviews, so I'll probably check it out in the weekend. Instead of seeing it last weekend, I checked out the official Japanese sequel, Paranormal Activity 2: Tokyo Night, which a local cinema got a copy of. I thought it was rather dull and I actually like the two first american movies. I did like one scene in particular, though, where the girl in the movie rises up from her bed in the middle of the night and wanders about even though she has broken both her legs and have them in a cast. That was quite creepy, though the effect is of course very similar to what is used in the first american film.

Todd Jordan
11-01-2011, 06:02 PM
I tried watching Part 2 the other night and turned it off. What a piece of shit. I don't know how anyone can call this entertaining.

Night 1,2,3,4,5,6...

driveway camera
pool camera
kitchen camera
living room camera
hallway camera
kid cries

FUCK YOU

Todd Jordan
11-01-2011, 06:19 PM
that "fuck you" was meant for the people who put that dung heap out, not my pals* here at R!S!P!

*except Pail Caisey

Ian Jane
11-02-2011, 09:16 AM
I get sucked into those movies in a bad way. I know they're repetitive and formulaic and that they rely almost completely on gimmicks and jump scares but I don't care. There's something about them that freaks me out more than a lot of other horror movie formulas.

So I guess while I can see where you're coming from, I don't care, I dig them anyway while completely acknowledging that they basically just do the same thing over and over again.

Ian Jane
11-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Paranormal Activity 3 hits DVD & Blu-ray 1/24/12 (http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Paramount/Disc_Announcements/Paranormal_Activity_3_Blu-ray_Dated/8179?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+highdefdigestbluraynews+%28Hi gh+Def+Digest%3A+Blu-ray+Disc+News%29).

Clive Smith
11-28-2011, 12:46 PM
What I enjoy is the staring and waiting. Staring at the dark doorway. Staring out of the bedroom, into the hall and at the top of the stairs etc.

Unfortunately, rather than subtle spooks, they throw the potential away with the stoopid demon nonsense and - for me - it has the effect of someone throwing open the curtains and letting the sun in.

If only there were scenes equivalent to Cristina Raines' Dad walking suddenly across the room and standing with his back to her in a doorway (THE SENTINEL). Yikes.

In fact, why hasn't someone remade this? With more lesbians, more budgies and less Jeff Goldblum.

Ian Jane
12-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Full specs announced for 3 here (http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Paramount/Disc_Announcements/Paranormal_Activity_3_Blu-ray_Dated_and_Detailed/8179?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+highdefdigestbluraynews+%28Hi gh+Def+Digest%3A+Blu-ray+Disc+News%29). There will be an unrated cut included but "the only supplement is Lost Tapes feature with footage not included in the theatrical and unrated cuts."

Todd Jordan
12-20-2011, 03:37 PM
oh boy! More boring, night vision, shit garbage!

Ian Jane
01-03-2012, 12:47 PM
And just for Toidd, part 4 has been confirmed.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/1188961/paranormal_activity_4_confirmed.html

Todd Jordan
01-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Yay!! Tons of sequels just like Saw!

Mark Tolch
01-03-2012, 06:44 PM
Ya know...is it not kinda Blair Witch at this point? Like everyone KNOWS it's not real. And so it's not scary.

The Silly Swede
01-04-2012, 07:24 AM
I find this to be extremely smart from the movie makes. They make films for less then $1m and they all gross way over $100m. I only wish I had thought of this brilliant idea first.

Ian Jane
02-12-2012, 11:40 AM
We watched the third one last night. Definitely the weakest in the series and by quite a margin, though if you like the first two (and I'm not ashamed to admit that I do even if they are gimmick films) then it's worth seeing. Don't regret the rental, would have not been happy blind buying the Blu-ray.

At any rate, I liked that it tried to fill in more of the backstory of the first two movies and it went in some interesting directions. There are some creepy moments here though the ending is fairly predictable, if admittedly rather atmospheric and spooky.

My biggest complaint? The footage that is supposedly from 1988 is presented in 1.78.1 and is obviously shot on HD. Had they fucking bothered to shoot this on VHS or some sort of tape format, it would have been a lot more realistic but they didn't and so if you start paying attention to the technical details, you can easily get pulled out of the movie like I did.

Ian Jane
06-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Paranormal Activity 4 is starting production, some casting news here (http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3149515/first-casting-news-for-supernatural-paranormal-activity-4/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter).

"The studio slated the return of Katie, Kristi and the not-so-friendly ghost Toby for October 19, 2012."

No other plot details yet.

I admit it, I'll watch this. I'm a sucker for these movies.

Todd Jordan
06-25-2012, 04:06 PM
The ghost is named "Toby"??? Do they ever go into back story at all? Because as Hollywood knows, us lemmings need to have everything spelled out for us.

Paul L
06-25-2012, 05:07 PM
We watched the third one last night. Definitely the weakest in the series and by quite a margin, though if you like the first two (and I'm not ashamed to admit that I do even if they are gimmick films) then it's worth seeing. Don't regret the rental, would have not been happy blind buying the Blu-ray.

At any rate, I liked that it tried to fill in more of the backstory of the first two movies and it went in some interesting directions. There are some creepy moments here though the ending is fairly predictable, if admittedly rather atmospheric and spooky.

My biggest complaint? The footage that is supposedly from 1988 is presented in 1.78.1 and is obviously shot on HD. Had they fucking bothered to shoot this on VHS or some sort of tape format, it would have been a lot more realistic but they didn't and so if you start paying attention to the technical details, you can easily get pulled out of the movie like I did.
The third film is indeed very silly. However, I thought the rotating camera in the kitchen/living room area was an inspired touch. The partially-obscured view each time it panned across the room created suspense, but sadly this was never used to its full potential.

I too wish they'd shot it on tape, but I guess that would have limited the eventual Blu-ray release, wouldn't it :D

Ian Jane
06-25-2012, 07:29 PM
I too wish they'd shot it on tape, but I guess that would have limited the eventual Blu-ray release, wouldn't it :D

Definitely and I understand the reasoning behind the decision, but... it definitely took me out of the movie.

Ian Jane
08-06-2012, 10:29 AM
And the trailer for Paranormal Activity 4, coming to theaters in October 2012, is now online:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35cYvwjEvUI

Mark Tolch
08-07-2012, 11:18 AM
The ghost is named "Toby"??? Do they ever go into back story at all? Because as Hollywood knows, us lemmings need to have everything spelled out for us.

Well, he reminds me of the babe.

Ian Jane
08-08-2012, 09:43 AM
A poster!

A funny picture!

Ian Jane
08-09-2012, 03:29 PM

Mark Tolch
08-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Hahahahahaha.

Ian Jane
08-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Bloody Disgusting reports that in an EW interview, those involved in the series are planning a fifth film already - they're looking into 'expanding the mythology' and finding out just who the demon is.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3189222/paranormal-activity-mythology-expanding-towards-fifth-film/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Apronikoff
08-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Bloody Disgusting reports that in an EW interview, those involved in the series are planning a fifth film already - they're looking into 'expanding the mythology' and finding out just who the demon is.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3189222/paranormal-activity-mythology-expanding-towards-fifth-film/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

What a good idea! If there's one thing that always helps horror movies it's explaining away all the mystery...

Mark Tolch
08-30-2012, 02:01 PM
Remember when BLAIR WITCH was good, and PART II sucked? And then there wasn't another one? That.

Paul L
08-31-2012, 07:21 PM
Remember when BLAIR WITCH was good, and PART II sucked? And then there wasn't another one? That.
The sad thing about the second BLAIR WITCH movie was that the promotional mock-documentary that Berlinger shot to promote the film, 'The Burkittsville Seven', was about a hundred times more interesting than the feature itself.

Ian Jane
09-01-2012, 11:07 AM
What a good idea! If there's one thing that always helps horror movies it's explaining away all the mystery...

As an unapologetic fan of the PA films so far, this is my concern - that they'll just keep going with it until it gets to be dull, and that, yeah, all the mystery will disappear.

I'd rather see them go in a similar direction with a different cast of characters, different spirits/demons/ghosts/whatever than keep milking the same story elements.

Ian Jane
09-24-2012, 12:49 PM
First clip up online at Yahoo! Movies...

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/paranormal-activity-4/trailers/paranormal-activity-4-teaser-trailer-30168229.html

Ian Jane
09-27-2012, 09:26 AM
A new trailer for part 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5TbQdpACv68

Richard--W
10-05-2012, 06:57 AM
We rented PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 3 for a $1.29 from the RedBox at Walgreens. Got as far as the menu when we heard several gun shots behind our house, together with screaming. I went out on the porch armed and saw a mix of headlights and people running around in the street behind us. Then there was a big boom. A moment later there was fire. More big booms and more fire. The fire got as tall as a three story building and illuminated the street and back yard. Two houses were ablaze. Police cars were all over the streets, lights flashing colorfully and sirens blaring. Fire trucks and ambulances. Soon thereafter a fireman came to the door and told us to leave because they may not be able to contain the fire. Saw neighbors getting into the cars but nobody could go anywhere because the police had blocked the street and were looking for somebody. I went back inside to call somebody but the phone was out. So was the internet and cable tv. I came out and the police were all over my backyard. They asked me if I saw anybody. I said only the fireman. We locked up and went to Dennys. Came back 2 hours later to the smell of fire, smoke in the air, and the stink of glue and burnt plastic like when you set fire to plastic models when you were a kid. Another hour went by before the phone came back on, the internet and cable tv. Then a few minutes ago I tried turning on the stove. It's a gas stove. No gas. I wonder if that wasn't one of the explosions. Come daylight I will call the cops and ask them what the hell was going on.

SPOILERS BELOW

Anyhow ... I thought the film was a little slow in getting started. The love scene could have fixed that but didn't. They should have shot an unclothed alternate for home video, the miserable cowards. The director did an excellent job getting natural unforced performances. The film is performed at conversational level, which is exactly right. The mid-point needed more juice. But the third act is commendably tense with several effective moments. The hand-held camera work is done right. When the camera operator loses control and drops it an effective image is still visible instead of going black. No long stretches of black like in another hand-held film I could mention. The nature of this camera work makes you look more intently at the image in case something is happening that isn't glaringly obvious. In other words it holds your attention. I love the inventiveness of mounting a camera on an oscillating fan. Why can't I think of these things. I did get a little tired of the panning back and forth. The first payoff shot was a good one but there was too much panning after that. The second payoff shot was even better although it was a long time coming.

The story is insufficiently fleshed out. We meet the two sisters as adults. One of them is pregnant. Then their late father's videotapes are taken out of the box and played, and we're in a flashback. The rest of the film unfolds with the sisters as children. The dad had asked if the imaginary friend was tall or short and the girl said tall, but the payoff shot I referred to indicated a short ghost. The eyelines to off-camera also indicate a short ghost. The way it works out, no explanations are given why the grandmother does what she does and what her connection is with the ghost. I wish there had been more material on the coven, and I question if a coven was necessary because it doesn't tie in with the ghost. After what the sisters go through as children, shouldn't they be behaving differently at the beginning? Aren't they supposed to be evil now? Shouldn't the flashback inform the opening in present time? Shouldn't the film return to present time at the end? It doesn't, but shouldn't it? I require consistency in story-telling. Perhaps understanding all this is dependent on the first two films?

Nevertheless, I liked PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 3.

I just pulled the trigger on 1 and 2, used and dirt cheap on amazon marketplace. I'll wait for a price in the $4-5 range before I buy part 3.

Andrew Monroe
10-05-2012, 07:49 AM
That sounds like a pretty scary night, Richard. I'm glad the fire spared your house. I would be very careful as far as the gas is concerned.

Paul L
10-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Scary night, Richard. I had a similar experience a few years ago (sans the gunshots but complete with evacuation, etc) when someone set fire to the pub at the back of my old house.

The nature of this camera work makes you look more intently at the image in case something is happening that isn't glaringly obvious. In other words it holds your attention. I love the inventiveness of mounting a camera on an oscillating fan. Why can't I think of these things. I did get a little tired of the panning back and forth.
Mounting the camera on that fan worked quite well, I thought, although like you say it was dragged out ad infinitum with an insufficient payoff. However, the slow pan to the right... and then to the left... and then back again was just enough to restrict your vision and generate a nice dose of tension.

Honestly, I thought the second of these films was the most effective; but as a parent to a child similar in age to the boy depicted in the film, that film got under my skin far more than the other two.

Mark Tolch
10-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Glad to hear that you and your family weren't injured, Richard! Sounds pretty frightening, moreso than the film.

That "payoff" shot you made mention of was, I thought, the best part of the film. Haha. I almost went through the damned roof at that one.

Ian Jane
10-05-2012, 01:35 PM
I found the finale of the third film probably the scariest part of the three movies.

Andrew Monroe
10-05-2012, 02:18 PM
I found the finale of the third film probably the scariest part of the three movies.

I'd agree with that. The third one is the one I am inclined to revisit now and then.

Saw the trailer for the next one on tv the other night, I think I'll go see that.

Richard--W
10-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Another thing I liked about PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 3 was the absence of a score. No music.

I like spooky scores but no score can be very effective in provoking our sense of hearing to pay more attention to dialogue and ambient sound. Unfortunately, unlike the original The Haunting, there isn't much ambiance to engage our ears.

I'm wondering if this was shot digital. IMDB indicates 35mm prints, which I gather is for theatrical release, and under that it says d-cinema, which might also be theatrical release although it could also mean the capture medium. At a budget of $5 million it must have been entirely a digital shoot. Wish they'd indicate which cameras and lenses were used.

Story-wise, can someone tell me if these characters appear in the first two films? Is 3 a direct sequel or a prequel or a separate unrelated narrative?

Why are the adult sisters at the beginning totally unaffected | unaware of their own backstory?

Ian Jane
10-05-2012, 03:52 PM
The first one was shot on a consumer grade home video camera, but I don't remember the model. I believe the sequels were as well.

Paul L
10-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Another thing I liked about PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 3 was the absence of a score. No music.
Hear hear.

Story-wise, can someone tell me if these characters appear in the first two films? Is 3 a direct sequel or a prequel or a separate unrelated narrative?

Why are the adult sisters at the beginning totally unaffected | unaware of their own backstory?
The two young girls in PA3 are the sisters who feature in the first and second films: the first film focuses on Katie as an adult, and the second focuses on her sister (whose name escapes me).

Btw, has anyone seen the (reputedly sanctioned by Oren Peli) Japanese sequel to the first PARANORMAL ACTIVITY film, TOKYO NIGHT? I'm very curious about that film.

Ian Jane
10-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Btw, has anyone seen the (reputedly sanctioned by Oren Peli) Japanese sequel to the first PARANORMAL ACTIVITY film, TOKYO NIGHT? I'm very curious about that film.

Have heard about it as well and would like to check it out but I don't know of an English friendly way to see it.

Richard--W
10-05-2012, 07:18 PM
I'm surprised PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 3 could get a theatrical release. It's such a small, contained, low-energy film like a telefilm or a direct-to-cable. I mean, made-for-tv movies-of-the-week are bigger than this. Are the other films produced on the same scale?

Dom D
10-06-2012, 12:42 AM
I haven't seen 3 to compare but it's hard to imagine it could be on a smaller scale than 1 and 2. Not a fan of this series. I love a good "no budget filmmaker does good" story but the long takes of people sleeping as set ups for jump scares gets pretty wearing after a while. I'm suprised they thought there was a second film in it let alone 4.

Did you ever find out what the explosions turned out to be?

Richard--W
10-06-2012, 01:00 AM
No, I called the police department but they wouldn't answer questions. They told me to mind my own business. I'm guessing propane tanks -- there's a lot of that here -- and natural gas.

Wernski
10-06-2012, 07:59 AM
After what the sisters go through as children, shouldn't they be behaving differently at the beginning? Aren't they supposed to be evil now? Shouldn't the flashback inform the opening in present time? Shouldn't the film return to present time at the end? It doesn't, but shouldn't it? I require consistency in story-telling. Perhaps understanding all this is dependent on the first two films?

Yeah, the first two (and probably the upcoming fourth) are really built into each other, so you probably need to see them all to really answer those questions ...though, even then, I'm not sure it 100% adds up logically.

and I question if a coven was necessary because it doesn't tie in with the ghost.

I felt the same way. I expect the reasoning was just to keep it from being too repetitious after the previous films - "hey, here's an unexpected twist!" - but I worry this is going to take series in a direction further and further from what it does well... like adding the cult stuff to Halloween 5 and 6.

I have. If you like the other PA movies, you'll like this one, too. Though it really rehashes the first film - like beat for beat, almost scare for scare and plot point for plot point. There is one really effective, original scare though, and the Japanese locations add some nice variety. It's almost more a remake of the first film, with a new setting and your typically arbitrary remake alterations (they're sister and brother instead of boyfriend and girlfriend), except it's actually in continuity with the other films.

Are the other films produced on the same scale?

I daresay even smaller. Three was the first one to change location and introduce so many new characters more than a third of the way through the film.

Ian Jane
10-06-2012, 09:29 AM
I daresay even smaller. Three was the first one to change location and introduce so many new characters more than a third of the way through the film.

The first two are absolutely quite a bit smaller. I'd say they make the third look quite overdone in some ways (as much as I like it you guys do raise valid points about the inclusion of the coven - it worked for me but I see where you're coming from). The first two have none of that.

Richard--W
10-07-2012, 08:46 PM
They could have got rid of Toby the ghost and gone with the coven.
Or they could have got rid of the coven and stuck with Toby the ghost.
The grandmother's behavior makes no sense in the context of the coven.

As a result of watching 3 my brain is working overtime trying to come up with a witch's coven story that hasn't been done before. My instinct is to go with the college premise but CONJURE WIFE / Burn Witch Burn! nailed that. What motivates the women to become witches? There's the rub.

Ian Jane
10-08-2012, 08:59 AM
I actually don't mind not knowing in the context of the movie.

Richard--W
10-10-2012, 11:10 PM
PARANORMAL ACTIVITY (2007).

This $15,000 home movie earned $193 million at the box-office. I don't get it. It's so small. Every time I try to make a deal with a direct-to-DVD distributor they tell me they like the project but it's too small. Not enough bang for the buck. But PARANORMAL ACTIVITY got released and spawned three sequels. It has less bang for the buck than my projects which don't cost that much more. More thoughts on this film later when I get back from Phoenix.

Ian Jane
10-22-2012, 09:40 AM
Paranormal Activity 5 is on the way according to this article (http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/paranormal-activity/23131/paranormal-activity-5-on-the-way).

Roderick
10-22-2012, 09:52 AM
I don't know if it has already been mentioned, but the first three flicks have been collected together on blu for 19 bucks (http://www.amazon.com/Paranormal-Activity-Trilogy-Gift-Blu-ray/dp/B008F281TW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1350913906&sr=8-2&keywords=paranormal+activity+trilogy).

Wernski
10-23-2012, 08:26 AM
Paranormal Activity 5 is on the way according to this article (http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/paranormal-activity/23131/paranormal-activity-5-on-the-way).

"A Latino spin-off movie is also pressing ahead."

Interesting. I guess Tokyo Nights was a success, too.

Ian Jane
10-26-2012, 10:52 AM
That was quick.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71xroorZKZL._AA1002_.jpg

To be released in February 2012. Amazon link (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009AMALLM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B009AMALLM&linkCode=as2&tag=cognitrespon-20).

Mark Tolch
10-26-2012, 01:35 PM
i saw that cover pic posted this morning on another site in relation to "scary movies", and was trying to figure out what it was from. Thanks!

Richard--W
11-05-2012, 07:28 PM
PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 4 observes the same formula as before, picking up where 3 left off, with a new house (I like this new house best of all) and a new cast of characters encountering the possessed mom and stolen nephew from the trilogy. This is a fuller story, more structured and more carefully paced than its predecessors. The suspense builds nicely. There are good set pieces in the garage scene, the computer bouncing needle lights off the walls of the room, and the frantic run through the seemingly empty house across the street. This installment has to do with soul transference, brought on by the witches in the house next door. The teen female lead Kathryn Newton is an absolute doll. How can anyone take their eyes off a girl this cute, vulnerable and charming. Her boyfriend is a computer geek, her adopted baby brother is the target, and her parents are slow to catch on. By the time they do, it's too late. The worst has already happened. The film is paranormally well-informed.

If I counted correctly there are only 18 camera set-ups, more than the previous films had. When the Blu-ray is released I'll check my count.

The influence of Roman Polanski is more evident here than in the previous installments. The concept of an innocent finding out about an malignant evil that no one will believe and in which every step taken to protect oneself fails to do so is characteristic of Polanski's work as examplified by ROSEMARY'S BABY (1968). Oren Peli's participation is limited to a producer here, which I'm sure is a creative credit as well as a financial one but probably not operational. He understands horror and how to conjure up resonant emotions with dramatic minimalism.

Katie Featherston has lost weight since the last installment. As before, her real-life name is her character name. She doesn't have to much to do, but when she exchanges polite greetings with a neighbor or walks into a house unannounced, the tension in the audiences goes up. Way up. This is a good film, and entertaining. It works better on the big screen than it will play on the small, I'm sure. The audience enjoyed it, although I'm sure some people will complain that it wasn't LOUD enough or BIG enough. I like the film and I like the series.

My only complaint is the "money shot" at the end. Too brief. About two seconds, maybe less. The director should have held onto that shot for another beat, or two beats. Long enough for it too register on the mind and sink in.

I would suggest the next approach for PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 5 would be a witch hunter to scope out Katie Featherston and coven in the next installment.

Remember the advice of King James 1 in his treatise Daemonologie (1648): "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live."

Ian Jane
11-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the write up, Richard. I like the series too but haven't had time to get to part 4 yet. I will, but likely not until it hits home video. I don't find that these films suffer much on the smaller screen.

Wernski
11-07-2012, 08:21 AM
I caught this one, and liked it better than part 3 at least. It has a lot of the same issues as all of them - the more you think it through, the more logic holes you stumble into. But, again, that's in all of them. The lead actress was really impressive this time around, and while I can't think of any particular stand-out scenes/scares, I thought it held the creepy mood together overall pretty well. I'll watch part 5 next year. :)

SPOILERS

One flaw, I think though... and one it looks like will only get worse in later sequels... is the idea of turning Katie from the first film into a Lady Terminator. The ghost is the effective antagonist of the series; splitting his role up between him and Katie - and to a lesser degree, omen kids and the lurking army of witches - divides his power as a scary villain. They should really stop that. The guy from the original PA film doesn't persist through all the sequels and nobody misses him. There's no reason to twist the series into unappealing knots just to arbitrarily force this actress in. Is she the producers' girlfriend?

Andrew Monroe
11-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Saw PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 4 last night. This was the first of the series I've seen in a theater and I do think it gives the horror an immediacy you don't get at home. Seeing it on a big screen really ups the intensity. I really liked this one, well paced scares; yes some jump scares but also some effective subtle shocks. There were several times I actually got uneasy knowing something unsettling was coming up. I thought the final shot wasn't as unnerving as what happens a few minutes earlier in a dark hallway. Good ending though, stayed with me as we left the theater.

Ian Jane
11-21-2012, 02:13 PM
So it's maybe not so much real news to note that PA5 is slated to hit theaters in Oct. 2013, but this FearNet article (http://www.fearnet.com/news/news-article/paranormal-activity-5-premiere-date-announced) mentions this:

"A Paranormal Activity spin-off, geared towards the Hispanic community is still in the works, with a potential Spring release. If the teaser that played after the credits of PA4 is any indication, Actividad Paranormal will focus on the Santeria religion."

That could be interesting. Santeria is weird and interesting to me.

Apronikoff
11-21-2012, 02:22 PM
So I saw the first one and thought it was...ok. Have any of the sequels added anything interesting that might make them worth seeing, or is it just more of the same?

Ian Jane
11-21-2012, 02:26 PM
The second one is more of the same, the third one goes in different directions but both follow the same format.

Richard--W
11-21-2012, 03:59 PM
I find them all interesting, to be honest.

There is more activity in the sequels.

I relate.

Paul L
11-21-2012, 05:47 PM
I saw part 4 last week and enjoyed it, but the narrative seemed pretty piecemeal to me. I liked the young leads and the premise worked nicely, but like Wernski I find the shots of Katie Featherstone throwing people across rooms and such to be comical rather than frightening. For me, the second film was the most effective in the series.

Richard--W
05-29-2013, 06:16 AM
Sometimes the audience's faces are more interesting to watch than the movie. Paramount recorded these reactions to Paranormal Activity in the Sherry Lansing Theatre, a state-of-the-art screening room on the backlot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LfV7SGA-2o

You know a film's going to be a hit when an audience reacts like this. Girls watch with their mouths open or their hands over their faces.

Richard--W
06-01-2013, 04:49 AM
The Original Ending, redone for release, not included on the blu-ray:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD54GRIlTUg

There is also an Alternative Ending, which is on the blu-ray.

Wllm Clys
06-17-2013, 05:25 AM
I've only seen the first one in the series. In fact, I saw it earlier today. It wasn't really my cup of tea. I like the whole 'found footage' thing, it could have worked really well, but it was very repetitive: at night something happens. And god, what a horrible ending. Monster face jumping towards the camera, give me a break... And what was up with that burned photo? How come that didn't get explained?

Travis Sheldon
06-17-2013, 11:38 PM
The Paranormal Activity movies are perfect popcorn films to shut your brain off for a while and enjoy.
I have yelled more at the screen watching them than with any other recent films.

Ian Jane
06-18-2013, 09:05 AM
I completely forgot that the 4th one came out. I was all excited, well moderately interested at least, to see it and then I forgot.

I have nothing else to add.

Ian Jane
07-18-2013, 09:07 AM
From Bloody Disgusting:

"Building upon our exclusive reports from earlier Wednesday evening, TheWrap has learned that Paramount Pictures is aiming to get Paranormal Activity 5 in theaters by next October – and that the newly minted January 3, 2013 release date is for the Latino spin-off, tentatively titled OT: Oxnard Tapes (pictured above, video teaser below)."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=l_YU6jZjs5U

So evidently this series seems to be alive and well and Paramount is going to milk it for all that it's worth.

Ian Jane
08-09-2013, 08:46 AM
So according to Total Film (http://www.totalfilm.com/news/two-paranormal-activity-films-planned-for-2014) there are going to be two PA films made in 2013.

"The Paranormal Activityfranchise will release two films in 2014, with Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones to be followed by Paranormal Activity 5.

The former of those two is a spin-off film set to arrive on 3 January 2014, featuring a predominantly Latino cast and focusing upon a Catholic inquiry into some unholy goings on.

The second is a straightforward sequel, continuing the narrative of the series so far. As is traditional with the Paranormal Activity films, it will arrive in Halloween week on 24 October 2014."

Ian Jane
10-04-2013, 09:35 AM
This is rad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi3BXYflyxE

Paul L
10-04-2013, 10:33 AM
That was indeed very funny! :biggrin:

sukebanboy
10-04-2013, 10:43 AM
I wonder if that is how the director got the original idea for the movie:funny:

Richard--W
10-05-2013, 09:22 PM
So according to Total Film (http://www.totalfilm.com/news/two-paranormal-activity-films-planned-for-2014) there are going to be two PA films made in 2013.

"The Paranormal Activityfranchise will release two films in 2014, with Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones to be followed by Paranormal Activity 5.

The former of those two is a spin-off film set to arrive on 3 January 2014, featuring a predominantly Latino cast and focusing upon a Catholic inquiry into some unholy goings on.

The second is a straightforward sequel, continuing the narrative of the series so far. As is traditional with the Paranormal Activity films, it will arrive in Halloween week on 24 October 2014."

That's fine by me. So far, so good. I want the series to keep going.

Ian Jane
10-17-2013, 11:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J39iyK_aqDE

Barry M
10-17-2013, 11:48 AM
Iggy Pop cameo! Stoked.

I watched the first three over the last couple of nights. Only the first one gave me any kind of physical hair-raising, but they were all pleasant enough.

Todd Jordan
10-17-2013, 11:50 AM
I wish this "technique" of movie making never existed. I tried to find a horror movie to watch on Netshits the other night and everything I tried (four movies) was this kind of crap.

Fuck Blair Witch people for being so successful with their piece of tripe. Ok, I am done being angry.

Richard--W
10-17-2013, 11:57 AM
Well, that's different. At first glance the tie-in to the franchise looks a little contrived. Or maybe tortured is the word. Has a POSSESSION OF JOEL DELANEY vibe to it. I'll see it, though.

Doesn't PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 5 come out next week?

Barry M
10-17-2013, 12:28 PM
I have more suspension of disbelief issues with "all these people are video freaks?" than I do with the ghostfaceses.

Clive Smith
10-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Ghost faeces

Barry M
10-17-2013, 12:57 PM
I have no intention of ever seeing the outtakes, extended versions, or extra found footage. That's why cutting rooms have floors.

Wernski
10-18-2013, 05:08 AM
This looks like they had an original script and rewrote it to tie in "Paranormal Activity." At least they're not just remaking the same movie, but I don't know... having the ghost save the protagonist seems like the most un-spooky element in the entire series.

sukebanboy
10-23-2013, 11:18 AM
the REAL PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 5 has been pushed back to January 3, 2014,,,,

Ian Jane
10-31-2013, 09:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O16VY2vZ6m4&list=UUYEix_q_acAIQleW6KRR2sA

Ian Jane
11-01-2013, 10:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8AEnrRbLkU

Ian Jane
12-04-2013, 11:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nucFmQQhSr0

Ian Jane
12-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Two less than exciting promo stills uploaded here (http://networkedblogs.com/SktzA).

Slow news day.

Ian Jane
12-30-2013, 01:00 PM
Paramount has really got the hype machine rolling bigger and louder than usual on this one. Regardless, there's a cool clip here (http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/73005/new-paranormal-activity-marked-ones-video-has-pictures-you?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#axzz2oyijoCQU).

I kinda wanna see this.

Ian Jane
02-26-2014, 12:07 PM
The Marked Ones is coming 4/8/14. (http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=237550)

Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones is making its way to Blu-ray Combo, DVD and VOD on April 8 from Paramount Home Media Distribution. It will hit digital three weeks earlier on March 18. In anticipation of the release, we have an exclusive deleted scene to share with you.

Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones expands on the world created by the phenomenal horror franchise with an intense tale of black magic, superstition and possession set in a gritty urban environment. The Blu-ray Combo includes both the theatrical version of the film, as well as an extended, unrated cut, and intense additional found footage not seen in theaters.

Blu-ray:

- Extended, Unrated Version of the Film (HD)
- Original Theatrical Version of the Film (HD)
- Found Footage

DVD:

- Original Theatrical Version of the Film (SD)

The Blu-ray Combo Pack available for purchase includes a Digital Version of the film that can be accessed through UltraViolet, a new way to collect, access and enjoy movies. With UltraViolet, consumers can add movies to their digital collection in the cloud, and then stream or download them - reliably and securely - to a variety of devices. A single-disc DVD containing the theatrical version of the film will also be available on April 8th.

Ian Jane
06-23-2015, 10:00 AM
The fifth Paranormal Activity film, Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension, will end the series, says producer Jason Blum... (http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/paranormal-activity/35879/next-paranormal-activity-film-to-be-the-last)

Ian Jane
06-23-2015, 10:28 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O575cCguBXs

Mark Tolch
06-23-2015, 10:52 AM
The fifth Paranormal Activity film, Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension, will end the series, says producer Jason Blum... (http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/paranormal-activity/35879/next-paranormal-activity-film-to-be-the-last)

Well, thank christ for that.

sukebanboy
06-23-2015, 11:15 AM
Yeah....and Friday 13th part 4 The Final Chapter was the last in THAT series too....until it made lots of money..

Ian Jane
06-28-2015, 10:28 AM
Watched the 2nd movie for the 2nd time last night, because I was all that enamoured with it but because the kid wanted to see it so I stayed up with him.

What surprised me was how much of it I remembered. Like every single scare. Not sure why I remembered this one so specifically compared to the 1st and 3rd but I did.

This post has no real point.

Mark Tolch
06-28-2015, 10:54 AM
Hooray for pointless posts!

Ian Jane
06-28-2015, 11:07 AM
When I started writing it I thought I had a point but quickly realized that was not the case.

Also PA2 plays up the 'look at the baby in danger' angle way too much.

And the term Paranormal Racktivity still cracks me up.

Mark Tolch
06-28-2015, 12:56 PM
Hahaha, I think of it everytime those movies come up.

Ian Jane
10-06-2015, 09:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDvO5qYAALU