PDA

View Full Version : THE THING (2011) Hits DVD & Blu-Ray

Shawn Francis
11-16-2011, 04:14 PM
The Thing (2011) (Two-Disc Combo Pack: Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy + UltraViolet) - AMAZON PRE-ORDER (http://www.amazon.com/Thing-Two-Disc-Combo-Pack-UltraViolet/dp/B0067QPVD2/ref=sr_tr_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1321474147&sr=1-2)

The Thing (2011) - AMAZON PRE-ORDER (http://www.amazon.com/The-Thing/dp/B0067QPVJ6/ref=sr_tr_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1321474147&sr=1-1)

Don't see any sign of any kind of UNRATED version yet.

Shawn Francis
11-30-2011, 12:22 PM
I can't believe they didn't see fit to restore those deleted scenes! Skipping it then.

BLU-RAY™ and DVD BONUS FEATURES:

* DELETED/EXTENDED SCENES
* THE THING EVOLVES: Profiling key behind-the-scenes stories of the film from inception to completion, including pieces entitled "The Legacy," "The Inspiration" and "The Evolution."
* FIRE & ICE: In a frigid environment and against a relentless foe, there's only one hope: Fire. Join the cast as they train with flame-throwers, battle wild fires on-set and get schooled in the importance of understanding fire's unpredictable personality.
* FEATURE COMMENTARY: With Director Matthijs van Heijningen and Producer Eric Newman.
* BLU-RAY™ Exclusive BONUS FEATURES: Unleash the power of your HDTV with perfect hi-def picture and perfect hi-def sound.
* UltraViolet™: The revolutionary new way for consumers to collect movies and TV shows, put them in the cloud and stream instantly to computers, tablets and smart phones, currently available in the United States only.
* BD-LIVE™: Access the BD-Live™ Center through your Internet-connected player to watch the latest trailers and more!
* pocket BLU™ app: The groundbreaking pocket BLU™ app uses iPad®, iPhone®, iPod® touch, Android™, PC and Mac® to work seamlessly with a network-connected Blu-ray™ player. Plus iPad® and Android™ tablet owners can enjoy a new, enhanced edition of pocket BLU™ made especially to take advantage of the tablets' larger screen and high resolution display. Consumers will be able to browse through a library of Blu-ray™ content and watch entertaining extras on-the-go in a way that's bigger and better than ever before. pocket BLU™ offers advanced features such as:
* ADVANCED REMOTE CONTROL: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray™ player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live™ functions with ease.
* VIDEO TIMELINE: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in the film.
* MOBILE-TO-GO: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray™ discs to save to their device or to stream from anywhere there is a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy content on the go, anytime, anywhere.
* BROWSE TITLES: Users will have access to a complete list of pocket BLU™-enabled titles available and coming to Blu-ray™ Hi-Def. They can view free previews and see what additional content is available to unlock on their device.
* KEYBOARD: Entering data is fast and easy with your device's intuitive keyboard.
* uHEAR™: Never miss another line of dialogue with this innovative feature that instantly skips back a few seconds on your Blu-ray™ disc and turns on the subtitles to highlight what you missed.

Robin Bougie
12-01-2011, 05:32 AM
Is this really what the CGI looks like in this movie?

http://i.imgur.com/N12XV.gif

Fucking horseshit. That's barely fit for a videogame version of Rob Bottins classic FX.

Todd Jordan
12-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Yep. That's what it looks like. The only good part in the movie is the end credits.

Ian Jane
12-01-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm still gonna check it out just to ease my morbid curiosity.

Todd Jordan
12-01-2011, 10:51 AM
You should check it out for sure. That way you can say with confidence how it pales to the original.

Shawn Francis
12-01-2011, 12:09 PM
This is one of those movies where, after seeing it, I was pleased with the results, then months later when it gets announced for DVD, I suddenly have NO desire to buy it, despite the fact that early I thought I might. That happened when I also saw that godawful remake of WAR OF THE WORLDS. The ONLY remake I saw this summer that I remotely liked, and STILL do, though, I'm not sure I'm ready to spring for it on DVD, is DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Robin Bougie
12-02-2011, 09:10 AM
I'm looking forward to that one on dvd too, Shawn. Oddly enough it was directed by a guy who I knew as a teenager in the town we were from in Saskatchewan, Saskatoon. He was THE OTHER guy drawing comics around town!

Oddly enough, he also moved to Vancouver where I am now. We only have friends of friends though, and aren't besties or anything. Just give each other a nod when we see each other around, that kind of thing.

Shawn Francis
12-02-2011, 12:04 PM
The standard DVD of DARK is barebones, the blu-ray will have 3 featurettes. Thank God, I'm close to going blu now.

Ian Jane
01-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Ha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToCq_c3wOM8&feature=youtu.be

Shawn Francis
01-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Dammit, Ian, I just saw it and was on my here to post this. You beat me to it. Yeah, this is hilarious and brilliant.

Ian Jane
01-04-2012, 01:05 PM
I'm fast! This cracked me up though. Very creative.

The Silly Swede
01-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Pingu is the shit. I also feel that that 2 minute clip was vastly more worthwile then the new movie.

Ian Jane
01-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Blu-ray.com (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Thing-Blu-ray/28269/#Review) has the 1st review I've seen. I'll probably wind up getting this out of sheer curiosity, but not until it's under $10.

Paul L
01-20-2012, 07:22 PM
It was... meh, Ian. I saw it at the cinema back in November, simply out of morbid curiosity. It's riddled with a slavish attempt to ape some of the scares from the Carpenter remake, and I just don't buy the multinational crew of the ice station or the female scientist shtick, both of which seemed crowbarred into the movie to help broaden audience appeal. The climax is mishandled: setting the climax inside the UFO was like going to see a magician and finding that at the end of the show, he tells you exactly how his tricks were done. The CGI effects are awful too. But on the other hand, there was some decent period detail and a good attempt to ape the cinematography of the Carpenter film; the film didn't rush its exposition and was fairly well-paced (ie, for the most part it didn't hammer the audience over the head with setpiece after setpiece); and Winstead made for decent eye candy.

I'd say that it's worth watching out of curiosity alone, but I'd wait for a pretty hefty price drop.

Ian Jane
01-21-2012, 10:46 AM
The CGI effects are awful too.

This seems to be the most common complaint I'm seeing about the movie. It's a shame, when you consider how awesome the effects in the Carpenter movie still are, even by today's standards.

Todd Jordan
01-21-2012, 12:08 PM
If they really wanted to pay tribute the Carpenter's masterpiece, they should have gone with rubber and goo rather than pixels. I (and probably many) would have been much more forgiving.

sukebanboy
06-26-2012, 12:10 PM
If they REALLY wanted to pay respect to Carpenter's version they could have either

a) done it right...good script, good direction, REAL SP-FX

or
b) left it the fuck alone....

I have no desire to see this one now...even though I searched for this thread to see how people felt about it after seeing the DVD in the store today!!!

Toyboy
08-24-2012, 10:09 PM
I will post this here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MKOMgl-hHw&feature=player_embedded

Alex K.
08-24-2012, 10:35 PM
For a second that fooled me, but that was really good.

Ian Jane
08-25-2012, 09:55 AM
I give that two thumbs up.

Paul L
06-19-2013, 03:46 AM
Has that early cut, with the practical effects and slightly different structure, surfaced anywhere yet? Just curious.

sukebanboy
06-19-2013, 06:19 AM
Has that early cut, with the practical effects and slightly different structure, surfaced anywhere yet? Just curious.

Was this actually proved to exist?

Not just a bullshit rumour to keep the fanboys in check (ie...Yeah we made it with practical effects...but the studio changed to CGI)

Would having practical effects help this movie at all??

Lalala76
06-19-2013, 06:29 AM

Not just a bullshit rumour to keep the fanboys in check (ie...Yeah we made it with practical effects...but the studio changed to CGI)

Viewing the extras, to me it seems that practical effects were used more than you realise, its just that cgi was used on them to "add" things and also render. Because of this the practical effects actually look mor cg than practical.

Paul L
06-19-2013, 06:33 AM

Well, there's photographs and bits and bobs of footage of the practical effects on set - including the 'pilot' creature. I don't doubt that there was a workprint which showcased those effects. (Some of them can be seen in one of the early trailers, as I recall.) The other narrative changes, although minor, sound like an improvement over the theatrical version: the ending was substantially different in the workprint, apparently. One of the things I didn't like about the theatrical version was that closing sequence, so a different ending to the film would help it - if only just a little - in my eyes. Then again, I didn't think it was all that bad in the first place - not great, but certainly better than I imagined it would be. (I had very low expectations walking into the cinema, however.)

EDIT. Plus, what Lalala said. Beat me to the punch :biggrin:

Lalala76
06-19-2013, 07:08 AM
I actually think the movie isn't that bad, in fact I quite like it. I appreciate that it has been made by a real fan, who has tried very hard to make a film worthy of living up to expectations. Unfortunately in this day and age Studios have to intervene and also expectations were that high then, as with Prometheus too, the film would never live up to those expectations. Also I think that the effects titans of the 80s have become a dying breed, as though its a part of history and the art of the trade has been lost. A bit like Stop motion and practical stunt work, in 20 years time the generation of the time wont have a clue how its done.

Ian Jane
01-23-2017, 04:43 PM
From Arrow's FB page:

"The Thing is coming to Arrow Video!

That's right folks, John Carpenter's 80's classic will be joining the Arrow Video line later this year! We are still in the early stages of this release so can't share any specific info in relation to extras just yet but do make sure to tuned as we have some exciting things planned!

We also want to take this opportunity to say a HUGE thanks to every single one of you for supporting Arrow Video and helping us reach 50k likes today - we really couldn't have done it without all of you.

Thanks for being awesome!"

Derrick King
01-23-2017, 07:12 PM
Good for region B locked folks, but, eh, likely the same master as the one Shout used and I can't see them topping it in extras