PDA

View Full Version : Penitentiary Double Feature Coming From Arrow

Ian Jane
11-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Press release:

"A real Grindhouse cinema original and an undisputed Blaxploitation cult classic, Penitentiary was one of the most commercially successful independent feature films of the early 1980s, inspiring many imitators and spawning two sequels. Written and directed by one of the leading pioneers of the “L.A. Rebellion” film movement, Jamaa Fanaka (Street Wars), Penitentiary comes to DVD in February 2012 with a release that boasts an audio commentary by the director and includes the full-length bonus feature Penitentiary II.

Jamaa Fanaka's raw and violent indictment of prison life is considered a masterpiece of urban cinema. A potent combination of Blaxploitation, prison movie and social commentary, Penitentiary busted genres and galvanized audiences from the art houses to the inner city, becoming a cornerstone of urban independent film for generations.

Martel Gordone (Leon Isaac Kennedy) is a hitchhiker who gets into a fight with a pair of bikers over a prostitute. One of the biker dies and Martel finds himself in prison with the moniker “Too Sweet” because of his love of candy bars. Soon, he is a hardened but pragmatic inmate who joins the prison boxing team in an effort to secure an early parole. Standing in his path however is “Half Dead Johnson”, a member of the prison's most violent gang.

Penitentiary (cert. 18) will be released on DVD (£tbc) by ArrowDrome on 13th February 2012. Special Features include: director’s audio commentary; trailers; “Penitentiary II” full-length feature."

Ian Jane
11-30-2011, 11:27 AM

Ian Jane
11-30-2011, 11:28 AM
What I want to know is:

1 - are these the same transfers used for the old Xenon releases or will they be new ones?
2 - are these the same commentarys that Fanaka did for the old Xenon releases or will they be new ones?
3 - where the FUCK is Penitentiary III?????

I have a soft spot for these movies and could be talked into a double dip if they're an upgrade over the R1 discs I already have.

Todd Jordan
11-30-2011, 12:24 PM
I always like the second one better for some reason unknown to me.

Ian Jane
11-30-2011, 12:30 PM
Probably because it has Mr. T in it?

Todd Jordan
11-30-2011, 02:02 PM
That could be the reason. Or it could be my fantasy of being locked in a prison with no one to turn to except violent offenders.

Ian Jane
11-30-2011, 03:37 PM
Are you sure you're not confusing the Penitentiary Double Feature with the Penitration Double Feature?

Todd Jordan
11-30-2011, 03:53 PM
Confusing? No. Replacing? Yes.

Ian Jane
02-10-2012, 11:19 AM
So according to DVD Beaver (http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/dvd_reviews56/penitentiary.htm), this release uses the transfers as the Xenon releases and ports over the commentary for the first film but not the second one, which pretty much invalidates any value this release might have when you consider the Xenon releases are not hard to find and are less expensive.