PDA

View Full Version : Jim VanBebber - Diary Of A Deadbeat

Ian Jane
02-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Ummm.... holy shit. This looks super rad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPYaWYsl7gQ

Phil Anselmo alert!

Toyboy
02-16-2012, 05:38 PM
I wonder if Don May was asked to participate.

Roderick
02-16-2012, 05:48 PM
I wonder if Don May was asked to participate.

I had that same thought.

Toyboy
02-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Jinx! Buy me a line of coke!

george n
02-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Holy shit,this looks awesome.I can understand that van bebber may not be to everybodys tastes but the man has talent and i dont think abybody could argue with it.Its a tricky situation because if somebody gave him a modest budget he could make an awesome film,but nobody will because he would blow it on drugs/drink

Alex K.
02-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Van Bebber is an interesting case. He's kinda' like the Bukowski of Cinema, and I mean that in a good way. Also it's one of the few times where I can watch his films, and the first time I see them I feel very indifferent to them. But there's 'something' about them that made me want to see them again, and again and again. Upon the 2nd or 3rd time seeing Manson Family, Deadbeat at Dawn, and My Sweet Satan I ended up loving his films. The only other time this happened for me was when I watched Argento's Inferno and Fulci's City of the Living Dead.

Ian Jane
08-26-2015, 10:36 AM
Massacre Video picked this up, you can watch a clip at Fango's site today.

http://www.fangoria.com/new/exclusive-clip-jim-vanbebber-documentary-diary-of-a-deadbeat/

Dark Horse 77
08-26-2015, 10:32 PM
Finally. I was wondering when this would get some kind of release. I didn't see anything about a DVD release though.

Jack J
08-27-2015, 06:14 AM
Holy fuck! That DOES look rad!! :D

Cinematic Shocks
08-27-2015, 06:43 AM
Yeah I need to see this. A 5-minute clip was released yesterday...

http://www.fangoria.com/new/exclusive-clip-jim-vanbebber-documentary-diary-of-a-deadbeat/

Watching this gives me a hankering to watch 'Deadbeat at Dawn' again.

Jack J
08-29-2015, 12:37 PM
Ditto!

Ian Jane
10-19-2015, 05:32 PM
Presented in association with Massacre Video.

With only two feature films and a handful of shorts and music videos under his belt, Ohio native Jim Vanbebber has developed a reputation world-wide as one of the most uncompromising, dangerous, and important filmmakers in the history of underground cult cinema. While 1988’s DEADBEAT AT DAWN immediately established him as a fierce new talent (both behind and in front of the camera), his short film, MY SWEET SATAN, and decade-in-the-making feature, THE MANSON FAMILY, continue to be highly regarded classics in the pantheon of exceptional true crime films.

Made over the course of five years, Victor Bonacore’s in-depth documentary traces Vanbebber’s journey from his early Super 8mm shorts all the way through to the production of his latest directorial effort, GATOR GREEN. In addition to Vanbebber’s friends, fans, and collaborators, the film also features interviews with Phil Anselmo (Pantera), Richard Kern (Transgressive filmmaker/photographer), Nivek Ogre (Skinny Puppy), Mitch Davis (Fantasia Intl. Film Festival), Killjoy DeSade (Necrophagia), and many more!

The film will be preceded by the World Premiere of two brand new music videos directed by Victor Bonacore for local artists Miss Kacie Marie and Emily Youcis, who will be in attendance.

Thursday, October 22, 2015
Doors 7:30, Movie 8:00
$10 admission

www.philamoca.org (http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.philamoca.org%2F&h=SAQEURYLt&enc=AZPFLKxBwdWbDHHEXPn93QxLYQdHLN3tYxh0WRQrBUC-ybWISBD7qoteajyThjDD3OE&s=1)

Ian Jane
03-07-2016, 08:19 PM
From Massacre's FB page:

"We have just finished the disc for our upcoming release of Victor Bonacore's DIARY OF A DEADBEAT: THE STORY OF JIM VANBEBBER, we are hoping for a mid-April release date. The set will be a Blu-ray/DVD combo with over TWO HOURS of extra features! We will also have a limited edition cover available with a strict limit of 200 units!

Also coming soon is the VHS release of GROWING UP VANBEBBER: VOLUME 2, these tapes will be on sale early next week. Special thanks to Colin Rodgers for the awesome cover!"

Dark Horse 77
03-08-2016, 11:02 AM
I'm glad this is finally coming out. I checked on Massacre's homepage but there's no order page up for it yet.

JLG
04-20-2016, 09:21 PM
just watched this. i liked it. kinda almost tough to watch at the beginning but changed in a good way by the end.

lots of bonus features on the set. only the interviews with the director and producers are on the blu ray tho. it does say this on the back cover but for a second i thought they were missing. they are all on the dvd. kept searching the blu ray for them so i'll check them out later tonight or in the morning.

only mentioning that in case anyone else ends up in that brain fart boat.

glad to finally see this. i recognized someone in one of the Cinema Wasteland bits

Matt H.
04-21-2016, 06:52 PM
This was OK. I thought it would be a "tougher" doc, considering Van Bebber's history. It's basically just various people and filmmakers talking about how great Van Bebber is. Except for (priceless) footage of his drunken appearances at Chiller, it pretty much sugarcoats the darker side of this man. My favourite parts were the footage from his super-8 shorts and the whole sequence about GATOR GREEN and it's creation. The saddest aspect of the doc is I don't think we'll see another feature from Van Bebber; he's very much an alcoholic and I can't imagine anyone giving him funds.

Alex K.
04-21-2016, 07:17 PM
That's what I expected unfortunately. I raw docu would be far more interesting. Because I think the guy is a great talent but he can't wrestle with his vices.

sukebanboy
04-21-2016, 07:46 PM
Shit...was hoping for a warts-and-all type documentey that really got to the heart of the man and his troubles....what amakes him tick and where his creative stuff comes from...this one sounds like a waste of time to me now..

JLG
04-22-2016, 07:27 AM
he seems pretty cleaned up and professional for the Gator Green stuff. that is what i wanted to see more than the other stuff. it shows that he will put the drink away for the moviemaking. i think there is still a chance that Jim VanBebber can do another movie.

would be interesting to see his Capone movie...or Day of the Deadbeat

JLG
04-22-2016, 07:29 AM
also, if you want to know his personal stuff then go get a camera and ask the questions yourself

sukebanboy
04-22-2016, 07:34 AM
also, if you want to know his personal stuff then go get a camera and ask the questions yourself

Haha...i would have to be behind bulletproof glass asking the questions though...and I would STILL be intimidated!!

Would love him to make another movie....but he didnt really make me confident with his stint as cinematographer on AMERICAN GUINEA PIG....though his cameo was great!!!:funny:

Matt H.
04-23-2016, 12:04 PM

It's possible that Van Bebber wouldn't allow the personal stuff into the final cut of DIARY. Obviously that's only speculation, but I wouldn't be too surprised to learn that he strong-armed the director into making him look better. Or maybe the director is such a fan that he didn't have the heart to criticize him. Who knows? As it stands, the doc is suspiciously "light".

JLG
04-23-2016, 04:29 PM
probably a bit of the director being a fan and VanBebber not wanting to go there. anybody can make a doc detailing all the party fouls but the subject may not be involved.

David Hess in the interview on the Shriek Show disc of House on the Edge of the Park tell the guy something along the lines of
"I told you not to ask me about that." saw Chuck Berry change a subject in something, don't remember what the name was. Robert Downey jr recently got up and left from a press thing and made the Diane Sawyer remark to a dude who was rubbing him the wrong way.

personally, i used to think it was funny when my own party fouls were brought up. it gets old tho. and when it keeps happening it can be pretty fucking annoying.

i like this doc. like i said before it was cool to see JVB working on Gator Green. i think there is still much potential in him for another movie. maybe another great movie.

just have to wait and see what happens

Alex K.
04-23-2016, 05:16 PM
David Hess in the interview on the Shriek Show disc of House on the Edge of the Park tell the guy something along the lines of
"I told you not to ask me about that."

Pretty sure that was in regards to his wife being the rape/murder victim in the beginning of House on the Edge of the Park.

Matt H.
04-23-2016, 06:24 PM
like i said before it was cool to see JVB working on Gator Green.

That was the highlight for me too. I love how he chose to work with real gators, whereas most directors would opt for CGI.

Tom Clark
04-23-2016, 08:02 PM
There's always the clips of JVB's drunken messages to Don May for those who want a taste of that stuff.

"I'M SO FUCKING PISSED I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!"

Dark Horse 77
04-24-2016, 05:41 AM
There's always the clips of JVB's drunken messages to Don May for those who want a taste of that stuff.

"I'M SO FUCKING PISSED I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!"

They are pretty hilarious.

King-Wasp
06-11-2016, 12:32 AM
Speaking of VanBebber, and Masscare Video, this is dropping on July 12th...

https://www.amazon.com/Necrophagia-Through-Eyes-Dead-Anselmo/dp/B01GQX2FI4