PDA

View Full Version : THE DARK (1979)

Zane C.
03-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Anyone seen this? It's an "alien intruder" flick with an alien that shoots lasers from it's eyes. It stars William Devane, Caset Kasem, and others. Apparently a troubled production that didn't turn out the way they wanted. I kinda want to check it out after seeing the trailer, which is cool. Anyone?

Ian Jane
03-03-2012, 01:53 PM
This is the one that Shriek Show put out, right? Haven't seen it but have always loved the cover art.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51F0E202JXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I realize that doesn't help you, I just wanted to post that image.

Zane C.
03-03-2012, 04:26 PM
This is the one that Shriek Show put out, right? Haven't seen it but have always loved the cover art.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51F0E202JXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I realize that doesn't help you, I just wanted to post that image.

Haha! Yeah, that's the one! Love the cover art and the trailer for this! I'm looking to get ahold of this, and wondering if it's any good!

Shawn Francis
03-03-2012, 04:38 PM
I, for one, LOVE this movie. Saw it when I was a child; scared the shit out of me. Well worth it, I say. Tobe Hooper started out directing it, then he got fired from it, and then it got retooled from some psycho going around tearing heads off, (which happens once in the flick) to an alien movie where the creature shoots laser beams from his eyes and blows you up. It still has a very creepy vibe to it. Seek it out, Zane. Seek this mother out!

Zane C.
03-03-2012, 08:26 PM
I, for one, LOVE this movie. Saw it when I was a child; scared the shit out of me. Well worth it, I say. Tobe Hooper started out directing it, then he got fired from it, and then it got retooled from some psycho going around tearing heads off, (which happens once in the flick) to an alien movie where the creature shoots laser beams from his eyes and blows you up. It still has a very creepy vibe to it. Seek it out, Zane. Seek this mother out!

Excellent, Shawn! With that glowing recommendation, I am all over this! I think it'll make an interesting alien intruder double feature with another flick I'm looking for - IT CAME WITHOUT WARNING. I'm going to place an order for this, pronto! How's the Shriek Show release?

Shawn Francis
03-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Here's the trailer, just in case you need some visual evidence to seal the deal. Have no complaints with the Shriek Show DVD. It's in it's original 2.35:1 aspect ratio, too. And even has a commentary with the director.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIu38joLebM

Randy G
03-03-2012, 08:59 PM
This movie was pretty terrible imo, but terrible in a way I like.

Paul Casey
03-04-2012, 01:42 PM
This movie was pretty terrible imo, but terrible in a way I like.

The truth.

Toyboy
03-04-2012, 02:07 PM
I think I said on another forum that William Devane seemed to be channeling Jamie Gillis in this movie. I think that was me who said that.

bgart13
03-06-2012, 05:07 PM
THE DARK is pretty bad, but enjoyable so. I think the alien was originally a zombie, then got changed when Hooper was removed. I've wondered which parts Hooper directed that are still in the final product.

Shawn Francis
03-06-2012, 08:57 PM
If memory serves, in the commentary the director says nothing of what Hooper shot survived when it the movie was re-tooled.

Gary Banks
03-10-2012, 11:45 AM
If you can get it cheap do so. It is fun trash.

BTW the novelization is much better. It was based on the original screenplay before filming.