PDA

View Full Version : NIGHTBREED: THE CABAL CUT

Shawn Francis
03-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Rue Morgue interview with Seraphim Films' Mark Miller on what is now becoming known as NIGHTBREED: THE CABAL CUT. News on the VHS rough cuts findings, putting the CABAL CUT together and whether or not we'll ever see it on DVD. CLICK HERE (http://www.rue-morgue.com/2012/03/sinister-seven-seraphim%E2%80%99s-mark-miller-on-nightbreed-the-director%E2%80%99s-cut/).

Ian Jane
03-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Interesting. I thought that Seraphim Films had gone under. A shame the film elements haven't turned up but I'd be ok with a VHS sourced release if that's all that there was to work with.

Robert W
03-22-2012, 11:15 PM
This cut is like 30 mins. longer than the theatrical version. Can not wait to see it.

Shawn Francis
03-22-2012, 11:37 PM
THE CABAL CUT runs 3 hours.

bgart13
03-22-2012, 11:55 PM
The article you linked to says it's 2 hrs 35m.

Ian Jane
03-23-2012, 09:29 AM
Yeah, the 3 hour comment notes that it includes some duplicitious footage. Either way, even at 2:35 it's a lot longer. Given that Barker fans have been waiting YEARS for this, it's certainly a step in the right direction.

Alex K.
03-23-2012, 08:15 PM
I just want to see this film the way Clive intended it because I think the theatrical cut is a good flick but is obviously severely compromised. Even still there's some great scenes.

Robert W
03-23-2012, 10:36 PM
I remember, when Fangoria was covering the film originally, seeing a pic of Cronenberg with half of Narcisse's/Hugh Ross' head on the end of one of his knives. I know the character gets killed by Decker in the book, but survives at the end of the film. I wonder if Narcisse gets killed off in the longer edit?

Shawn Francis
03-24-2012, 07:10 PM
New interview with Barker. He covers in depth his health crisis. He also says the powers that be want to do a NIGHTBREED cable series.
CLICK HERE (http://www.clivebarker.info/intsrevel29.html)

Robert W
03-31-2012, 08:00 PM
A Nightbreed cable series?!? Uhgg... Just say no to cgi and crappy cable series.

Ian Jane
04-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Generally I'd agree with the ugghh but the comic series was actually kinda cool and so if they based it off of that.... maybe.

Robert W
04-01-2012, 02:50 PM
I liked the Nightbreed/Hellraiser x-over.

Ian Jane
04-01-2012, 04:52 PM
It was well done. The first run of Barker comics were good. The Eclipse Books of Blood adaptions, the early Hellraiser issues from Epic, the Nightbreed stuff.

The Pinhead solo comic... not so much. Cool cover on issue #1 though.

Robert W
04-01-2012, 08:21 PM
The other one I really liked was the Pinhead/Marshall Law x-over. Friggin' hilarious, intentionally so, at times.

Ian Jane
04-02-2012, 10:02 AM
Yeah, that one was awesome. Pretty much everything Marshall Law was awesome.

Newt Cox
04-03-2012, 12:49 AM
Yeah, that one was awesome. Pretty much everything Marshall Law was awesome.

I remember hearing a few years back that Top Shelf was putting out a hardcover that reprinted every Marshal Law appearence. But I don't think it has come out yet.

Robert W
04-04-2012, 07:27 PM
I think you can still get most of those as tpb.

Newt Cox
04-05-2012, 06:40 AM
I think you can still get most of those as tpb.

I have every appearance of Marshall Law ,but would like a nice all in one hardcover to put on my shelf.

Ian Jane
04-05-2012, 09:22 AM
I have every appearance of Marshall Law ,but would like a nice all in one hardcover to put on my shelf.

Ditto. At least I think I have every appearance. I might have missed the last one, but everything before that I definitely have.

There's a listing for the Marshal Law Omnibus on Amazon but no release date info (it was supposed to come out July 2011 but never did).

Ian Jane
05-01-2012, 11:51 AM
And this just today popped up on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CX0-AlytIXY

I am definitely intrigued.

Robert W
05-07-2012, 05:19 PM
The Occupy Midian FB is picking up steam. Also, Barker is supposed to be doing a con this summer where the Cabal Cut is going to be shown. Hopefully, someone will have taken notice of the 3K+ members of the Occupy Midian page and get off their duffs and get this thing out on bd.

On a related note, here's a rather entertaining interview with everyone's favourite cenobite, Nicholas Vince,
http://www.clivebarkercast.com/2012/05/06/episode-011-special-guest-nickolas-vince/

Listening to this podcast I learned that the German trailer for Hellbound: Hellraiser II contained some, sadly, unused footage of the Chatterer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ23Jv09Iho

Mike Howlett
05-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Will Craig Sheffer's bright white T-shirt get dirty in this cut? Man, that really took me out of the film. Seriously.

Robert W
05-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Canadian Ts are treated with certain stain resistant chemical, not to mention industrial strength bleaches. So no, Sheffer's T-Shirt will never dirty, ever!

Ian Jane
05-30-2012, 12:29 PM
The Restored 155 minute version is playing in Chicago 7/13/11 with Hellraiser.

According to Twitch (http://twitchfilm.com/news/2012/05/chicago-to-get-rarer-than-rare-screening-of-restored-nightbreed-the-cabal-cut.php) "Restoration Director Russell Cherrington and Seraphim Films Creative Executive Mark Miller will be on hand to discuss their plans for bringing NightBreed The Cabal Cut to BluRay and DVD."

Tom K
05-31-2012, 12:11 PM
The Restored 155 minute version is playing in Chicago 7/13/11 with Hellraiser.

According to Twitch (http://twitchfilm.com/news/2012/05/chicago-to-get-rarer-than-rare-screening-of-restored-nightbreed-the-cabal-cut.php) "Restoration Director Russell Cherrington and Seraphim Films Creative Executive Mark Miller will be on hand to discuss their plans for bringing NightBreed The Cabal Cut to BluRay and DVD."

Wanted to check that out, but low and behold, I got a gig downstate that day...It is playing at The Portage, which is always a great time. They make fun little events out of these screenings and good times are usually had by all.

bgart13
05-31-2012, 02:44 PM
I might go to this. Trying to decide if it'll be worth the trouble.

Ian Jane
06-11-2012, 12:55 PM
So I guess this screened in LA last night, Fangoria has an article here (http://www.fangoria.com/index.php/home/all-news/1-latest-news/7229-video-clive-barker-introduces-qnightbreed-the-cabal-cutq-in-la).

A very out of it looking Clive Barker showed up and intro'd the screening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5AjhmmiQhxg

Roderick
06-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Wow. That was painful to watch.

Ian Jane
06-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Yeah I'm not sure what's up there. Is he sick or something?

Paul Casey
06-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Yeah I'm not sure what's up there. Is he sick or something?

Yeah, I think he had some horrible infection and was in the hospital for a while. Forget where I read that.

Ian Jane
06-11-2012, 04:38 PM
You're right. This (http://news-briefs.ew.com/2012/02/07/clive-barker-toxic-shock/) explains it. He had toxic shock syndrome. Poor guy.

bgart13
06-11-2012, 06:04 PM
He was doing pretty rough before that too.

Robert W
06-11-2012, 08:00 PM
When it rains, it pours.
Clive Barker sued by ex-boyfriend Emilian David Armstrong for allegedly giving him HIV
http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2012/06/clive-barker-sued-by-ex-boyfriend-emilian-david-armstrong-for-allegedly-giving-him-hiv.html

Ian Jane
06-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Shitty.

Ian Jane
06-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Bloody Disgusting just posted a review of the Cabal cut here (http://bloody-disgusting.com/reviews/3147985/bd-review-weve-seen-cabal-cut-of-clive-barkers-nightbreed/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter). It gives away quite a few of the changes so if you don't want to know, don't read but it's interesting to see just how different this appears to be from the theatrical cut.

Newt Cox
06-13-2012, 02:58 AM
He was doing pretty rough before that too.

The rumor I keep hearing is that Clive is suffering from early onset Alzheimers. No idea if that is true.

Robert W
06-13-2012, 06:09 AM
The rumor I keep hearing is that Clive is suffering from early onset Alzheimers. No idea if that is true.

I really hope that isn't true, but watching that special appearance vid, one can not help but notice there is something very seriously wrong with him.

sukebanboy
06-13-2012, 11:53 AM
He was in a coma for several days due to the toxic shock...Doctors weren't sure he would pull out of it or not...

Apparently in the video he is doing a LOT better than he was..and it is only a few months since his problems....

Here is a slightly longer clip of him from the CABAL screening....and you can clearly see that, even though he looks bad and struggles to speak sometimes, his sense of humour is still intact!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOWcHa2ffMU&feature=related

sukebanboy
06-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Also, isnt he supposed to be writing directing GLADIATORS vs ZOMBIES??...Have to be pretty healthy and on your feet for production companies to leave you in charge of their movies I guess....Sad to see his bad health though..Was a shock as I think the last time I saw/ heard about him was when he was much younger, confident and smoking a huge cigar!!...A long time ago I think!!!

Ian Jane
06-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Yeah, he's actually making that movie for Amazon which might be a first.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/05/clive-barker-takes-on-zombies-vs-gladiators-for-amazon

Ian Jane
06-22-2012, 02:54 PM
This will be screening at the Monster Mania Convention in Cherry Hills, NJ this coming August.

Robert W
06-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Episode 14 : Special Guest Russell Cherrington — Nightbreed Restoration Director
http://www.clivebarkercast.com/2012/06/06/episode-014-special-guest-russell-cherrington-nightbreed-restoration-director/

Ian Jane
11-04-2012, 02:39 PM
So it sounds like this is getting a Blu-ray release in 2013?

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=208064

"Warner Home Video will release the film in 2013 at least in America in high definition on Blu-ray. The current plan includes both the theatrical version and the Cabal Cut."

Interesting.

Terry C
11-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Jesus. It's about time.

I know more than a few people are in the middle of the road on this film, but even in it's theatrical state I quite enjoyed it.

Ignatius
11-05-2012, 02:21 AM
Finally. I only hope that Morgan Creek will give them an opportunity to dig through the vaults looking for the original elements to replace the VHS material. As much as I appreciate the work that's gone into the Cabal Cut I can't get that excited about a Blu-Ray release without knowing that they've at least exhausted the search for the neg of the cut scenes.

Ian Jane
11-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Finally. I only hope that Morgan Creek will give them an opportunity to dig through the vaults looking for the original elements to replace the VHS material. As much as I appreciate the work that's gone into the Cabal Cut I can't get that excited about a Blu-Ray release without knowing that they've at least exhausted the search for the neg of the cut scenes.

I'll wind up getting it regardless but yeah, obviously if they could source the deleted scenes from good quality film elements rather than a VHS source it'd make for a better release. As the studio has a vested interest in making this release profitable, hopefully they'll let the guys in charge of the project dig deep.

Wernski
11-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Can anyone find the original source for this quote... followed it through to Blu-Ray's forums, which say it comes from an Australian forum... How solid is this?

Ian Jane
11-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Occupymidian.com sent out this on their twitter feed:

"Interview with @Russell2112 Restoration Director of Nightbreed about the #CabalCut, future Blu-ray release & more!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmQhJTZww9s&feature=youtu.be

Robert W
11-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Since I know this forum is frequented by many an eccentric millionaire, I'm one of you won't mind buying me that screen used pair of chainmail Decker gloves I just saw up for sale, right?

Ian Jane
08-20-2013, 11:35 AM
So it's been confirmed that Scream Factory have this slated for 2014.

On top of that, Fango (http://www.fangoria.com/new/cabal-cut-is-now-extended-directors-cut-of-nightbreed-coming-in-2014/) says...

"Scream Factory, the boutique cult and horror offshoot from Shout! Factory, swiftly blew many away this past July with the announcement they’d release the storied “Cabal Cut” of NIGHTBREED. A longer version that reinstates long lost material, the cut becomes a different film that finally restores the vision of Clive Barker in adapting CABAL. Now made official via things that makes things official like contracts, it’s been revealed that the much anticipated NIGHTBREED Extended Director’s Cut will not only hit DVD & Blu-ray, but digital distribution as well."

Ian Jane
08-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Ideally the Blu-ray will include both cuts. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Ian Jane
02-03-2014, 11:10 AM
Some news from Shock Till You Drop (http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/346207-the-upcoming-nightbreed-special-edition-is-not-the-cabal-cut/):

"The presumption was that this was going to be "The Cabal Cut," a 160-minute cut of the creature feature that has been making the film festival and convention circuit rounds.

But that is not the case. In John Nicol's Fangoria #330 interview with Seraphim Films' Barker and Mark Miller, it has been revealed that Scream Factory's presentation will be a "Director's Cut" – which is likely why you haven't seen that "Cabal Cut" moniker bandied about when talking about Scream Factory's release."

More at the link.

Alex K.
02-03-2014, 12:39 PM
I don't understand the controversy. It's a given that the director's cut will generally not feature every second of footage in a work print.

Looking forward to this release though.

Wernski
02-03-2014, 11:41 PM
God forbid they include more than one cut. :dunno:

Ian Jane
02-13-2014, 11:22 AM
From Mr. Barker's FB page:

"Understandably everybody wants to know the precise release date of the Cabal cut of NIGHTBREED.We don't yet have such a date,and for a reason that I hope makes you as happy as it makes me. The colour corrections we will be making digitally are going to be extensive,and as a consequence will take a long time, but they will be,I am certain,absolutely worth the obsessive focus we are putting upon them.And while you're waiting there is another film of mine which is also being prepared for its re-appearance in a freshly polished state from the same company.More to tell very soon."

Ignatius
07-02-2014, 05:39 AM
I don't have the press release to hand (I'm sure Ian can get his mitts on it) but Shout! have announced the initial specs for their release and the big news is: THEY TRACKED DOWN THE ORIGINAL FILM MATERIALS! Sounds like they've got the elements for all the deleted footage for the director's cut plus a whole bunch more stuff. So this will be a proper director's cut, not just Barker's version of the Cabal Cut.

There'll be two editions: a limited 3-disc Blu-Ray including the director's cut, the theatrical cut in HD (which they've managed to license from WB somehow), and a 3rd bonus disc of unannounced special features. It'll retail for $80, but given how much they've probably invested to put together a proper director's cut that doesn't seem too unreasonable. I'm sure the extra features on the bonus disc will sweeten the deal too. Limited to 5000 (which isn't all that limited really). Then a standard dual-format edition with just the director's cut at a regular price point.

NIGHTBREED is finally getting the deluxe treatment it fucking deserves. Woohoo!

Christian Bates-Hardy
07-02-2014, 04:30 PM
According to Scream Factory's Facebook page they sold out of 1000 copies of the Limited Edition that were available from the Scream Factory store. Frankly, I'm more than a little pissed off at the $80 price tag, especially considering we haven't seen a single image from the film to indicate the quality of their HD release, or even the full list of extras that will be present on the Blu-ray of extras that are unique to the Limited Edition. I haven't completely written off ordering the LE from Diabolik once it's available, but it's a hard pill to swallow without knowing what I'm paying for.

Christian Bates-Hardy
07-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Scream Factory is behind it, so expect compression artifacts, and DNR. :puke:

Exactly. Until they prove to me that they can deliver a consistent level of quality like Synapse, Grindhouse Releasing or Mondo Macabro regularly deliver, there's no way I'm going to spend $80 on a Scream Factory release. :down:

Dick Ringeisen
07-02-2014, 06:44 PM
What I find surprising, is when I first read the press release, I didn't see the prices yet. I figured, the 5,000 edition, Probably $40 or so. $50 tops. Then I read that it's $80? $50 extra for extras and the theatrical version on Blu-ray? No thanks.

I actually read through the list of differences between the 2 sets a few times, to see fi I missed something. No, I didn't miss anything, I read correctly. The $80 edition has a disk of extras and a Blu-ray of the theatrical version... Plus the paper stuff, can't forget that.

I'm curious to see the cabal version. I liked this movie more when I was younger, though as I got older I cared about it less. It's a silly movie. The last time I saw it, was about 10 years ago, when it was on TV, and I was doing something on a computer nearby. I just let it play in the background, whatever channel was airing it.

I'll buy it sometime after it gets released, but I'm going for the Blu-ray meant for the masses. the cheaper one.

Rakesh R.
07-02-2014, 09:00 PM
Scream Factory is behind it, so expect compression artifacts, and DNR. :puke:

It's amazing to me that SF have not stepped up their game with regards to quality control on their blu rays. I wish they had someone who knew how to properly transfer movies like the fine folks at Synapse and Arrow. Maybe, they will surprise us, but then again...

Ian Jane
07-07-2014, 10:08 AM
Cover art!

sukebanboy
07-07-2014, 10:41 AM
It is a kind of goofy, silly movie...but I liked Cronenberg in it.....He was just TOO good at his part for it all to be acting!.

Not sure how much they can re-instate to make the movie any better....

Christian Bates-Hardy
07-07-2014, 01:04 PM
It is a kind of goofy, silly movie...but I liked Cronenberg in it.....He was just TOO good at his part for it all to be acting!.

Not sure how much they can re-instate to make the movie any better....

About 40+ minutes of new footage from the sounds of it. The Director's Cut will be just slightly shorter than The Cabal Cut, which reinserted all the missing footage but apparently dragged on a bit long. Also all the footage in the Cabal Cut was sourced from a VHS, but from Scream Factory's posts on Facebook it sounds like they found the actual film reels that had the missing footage, so the Director's Cut will be in much better shape than the Cabal Cut.

bgart13
07-07-2014, 01:09 PM
Yeah, they had to go thru over 600 boxes, but found the negs. Cliff said a lot of the cut footage was perfect and in some ways may be better looking than the theatrical cut materials.

Lalala76
07-07-2014, 01:19 PM
I believe though some of it doesn't have audio, or so I saw somewhere on facebook today.

bgart13
07-07-2014, 02:11 PM
Yes, some with no audio -- it seems. They're still working on it, btw. It's not completed at this time.

Andrew Monroe
07-07-2014, 02:45 PM
Man, I forgot how rubbery those critters on the cover looked. I think there's some NEON MANIACS and BASKET CASE sequels cast members in there.

Derrick King
07-08-2014, 11:16 AM
Nightbreed limited edition is $56 at amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LMBUQPK). Order fast.

Christian Bates-Hardy
07-08-2014, 10:12 PM
Nightbreed limited edition is $56 at amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LMBUQPK). Order fast.

After I already pre-ordered the regular Collector's Edition from Diabolik? Dammit.

Ian Jane
07-09-2014, 09:17 AM
I grabbed on. That's a pretty fair price and I figure I can cancel before it ships if someone beats Amazon on it.

There's an interesting read on Kentai's blog here (http://www.kentaiblog.com/?zx=960662853cdcf4a9) about this release.

Alex K.
07-09-2014, 11:25 AM
That blog seemed a little bitter.

Zane C.
07-09-2014, 04:39 PM
Ok, so I've never seen this movie before, but it sounds like something I would enjoy. There's been so much controversy around the different cuts of this movie that I thought it sounded like if it was something I wanted to see, I better snag it while I could.

I picked up the LE from Amazon. Is it better to buy through Shout? Amazon was, as you guys mentioned, waaaaay cheaper. Hopefully they deliver on the LE for me.

Mark Tolch
07-09-2014, 05:21 PM
If this is the same film that I remember, I guess I have to be the one to say I'm amazed that anyone would pay even 60 bucks for it. No offense. :)

Christian Bates-Hardy
07-09-2014, 05:26 PM
If this is the same film that I remember, I guess I have to be the one to say I'm amazed that anyone would pay even 60 bucks for it. No offense. :)

I love this movie for reasons of pure nostalgia and because I love old school monster make-up, but I hear you. $80 is obscene and I can't help but feel that the price tag is because there is a hungry market of Barker fans who will pay anything for it. No matter what the story is regarding the amount of work, time and money that went into the restoration- which I'm sure was at a considerable expense- why should that cost be passed down to the consumer?

Christian Bates-Hardy
07-09-2014, 05:29 PM
Even the hosts of The Screamcast said they thought it was asking too much, and those guys were ecstatic when Scream Factory announced their complete Halloween box-set.

Mark Tolch
07-09-2014, 05:36 PM
Yeah, I dunno, if people like it that much that they're willing to pay that price, that's their thing. But considering an pricey Criterion disc usually doesn't break 40...hell, most television season sets don't top 50....80 bucks, IMO, is nuts.

But I guess if they can get that much for it, power to them.

Zane C.
07-09-2014, 05:41 PM
Even the hosts of The Screamcast said they thought it was asking too much, and those guys were ecstatic when Scream Factory announced their complete Halloween box-set.

I'm getting the distinct feeling that Shout is starting to think that they can charge whatever the hell they want for these releases and they'll get their asking price. They've been releasing solid (for the most part) product, and I enjoy what they're releasing, but damn. I did have to think twice about that NIGHTBREED LE, but even if I end up hating it, there's a ton of people who'll buy the disc from me anyway, no doubt.

bgart13
07-09-2014, 05:46 PM
why should that cost be passed down to the consumer?

...cuz it's a business? And they need to make a profit, otherwise what's the point?

Christian Bates-Hardy
07-09-2014, 05:46 PM
The thing that pisses me off is I don't really care about the extra footage. As someone who grew up on the theatrical cut, that's the version I want to see in HD. Ah well. Scream Factory just made it easier for me to give my money to Mondo Macabro for their upcoming Blu releases.

Christian Bates-Hardy
07-09-2014, 05:47 PM
They've been releasing solid (for the most part) product, and I enjoy what they're releasing

For the most part, yes, but there have been enough dodgy releases (Darkman, Nosferatu, Ravenous) to cause me to stop pre-ordering their discs sight unseen.

bgart13
07-09-2014, 09:03 PM
The thing that pisses me off is I don't really care about the extra footage. As someone who grew up on the theatrical cut, that's the version I want to see in HD. Ah well. Scream Factory just made it easier for me to give my money to Mondo Macabro for their upcoming Blu releases.

You might be the only person who doesn't want to see the director's cut in HD!

Christian Bates-Hardy
07-09-2014, 10:35 PM
Well It's not that I don't want to see it., but having never seen it, I can't say which version I'd prefer. What I can say is the theatrical cut is the one I watched over and over again as a teenager and it's the one I have nostalgia for, warts and all.

Christian Bates-Hardy
07-09-2014, 10:36 PM
I mean I've already pre-ordered the non-$80 version of the Director's Cut, so I'm going to own it whether it's the version I prefer or not.

Derrick King
07-10-2014, 09:52 PM
Amazon has sold out of their allotment of the Nightbreed limited edition and have removed the listing.

Zane C.
07-10-2014, 10:50 PM
Amazon has sold out of their allotment of the Nightbreed limited edition and have removed the listing.

Damn. Good thing I ordered yesterday!

Christian Bates-Hardy
07-10-2014, 11:29 PM
They finally showed up on Amazon.ca. The Limited Edition is still available (http://www.amazon.ca/Nightbreed-The-Directors-Cut-Import/dp/B00LMBUQPK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1405049316&sr=8-5&keywords=Nightbreed) but for $85.18 CDN. No thank you.

bartho
07-11-2014, 11:43 AM
Wow. Glad I didn't wait.

Paul L
07-11-2014, 12:39 PM
I really like NIGHTBREED. I remember reading CABAL not long before the film came out (during a summer holiday in Cornwall) and snagging the film as soon as it hit VHS (I had a big box ex-rental VHS in my collection until fairly recently). In fact, a friend of a friend did some of the effects work on the film. But that $80 set is too rich for my blood, especially considering the fact that it'll get slapped with import duty and the extortionate Royal Mail handling fee as soon as it hits UK shores.

Think I'll have to settle for the vanilla release.

Ian Jane
07-16-2014, 03:46 PM
That limited edition quantity has changed. From FB:

***NIGHTBREED: LIMITED EDITION - Now 10,000 UNITS***

Hello all! We have some news today regarding our NIGHTBREED: THE DIRECTORS CUT (LIMITED EDITION) release that we hope will make many of you happy.

To say that we were caught by surprise over the frenzied demand for it would be an understatement. Preorders across the board went so quick that we almost had to post soon that we were sold out of the original 5,000 units. We sensed your concerns that would happen too.

We want to give as many fans of Clive Barker’s exceptional film the opportunity to purchase the set and so we went back to Warner Bros (since they have the rights to theatrical cut) and explained the situation. They graciously understood and so we can now officially tell you that we have expanded the number of units for the LIMITED EDITION SET to 10,000 total--which will all be numbered. Once they are sold out though, that will be it.

We are taking pre-orders again on our site at http://www.shoutfactory.com/product/nightbreed-directors-cut-deluxe-edition and they should also be available soon to pre-order on other fine online retailers. If you have questions about your order from our site, please contact our customer service at shoutfactorycs@owd.com

Ian Jane
09-03-2014, 12:55 PM
***BREAKING: FINAL SPECS for NIGHTBREED:THE DIRECTOR'S CUT Revealed!***
We are very excited today to announce the final list of extras that will be available on our two releases of NIGHTBREED: THE DIRECTOR'S CUT (both out on 10/28). We thank every fans of "Midian" for being patient for this long-awaited news and we hope you are pleased.

We begin with an official statement from Clive Barker's team on this extraordinary project: "The Nightbreed Director's Cut is an entirely different film than the one which was released in theaters. Its 20 minutes longer than the theatrical cut, but it contains over 40 minutes of new and altered footage. Clive oversaw the reconstruction and edit himself, personally ensuring that, at long last, he was able to tell the story he always wanted to tell, but until now, had never been given the chance. Once the scenes were reordered, and the original film footage restored, the entire film received a brand new sound mix and color pass. It is, in every way, a different movie. It contains more story, more monsters, and there's even a musical number. Ultimately, what we've delivered is a love story 25 years in the making."
The breakdown for each set is as follows:

DVD & BLU-RAY COMBO SPECIAL EDITION SET
• New “Director’s Cut” presentation of the film which contains over 40 minutes of new and altered footage
• Introduction by writer/director Clive Barker and restoration producer Mark Alan Miller
• Audio Commentary by writer/director Clive Barker and restoration producer Mark Alan Miller
• Tribes of the Moon: The Making of Nightbreed featuring interviews with Craig Sheffer, Anne Bobby, Doug Bradley and more… (72 minutes)
• Making Monsters - interviews with makeup effects artists Bob Keen, Martin Mercer and Paul Jones (42 minutes)
• Fire! Fights! Stunts! 2nd Unit Shooting - an interview with Andy Armstrong (20 minutes)
• Original Theatrical Trailer
1:78 Widescreen/DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1/Dolby Digital 5.1/English Subtitles
LIMITED EDITION 3-DISC BLU-RAY SET (10,000 Numbered Pieces - also includes Collector's book)

DISC 1: THE DIRECTOR’S CUT
• New “Director’s Cut” presentation of the film which contains over 40 minutes of new and altered footage
• Introduction by writer/director Clive Barker and restoration producer Mark Alan Miller
• Audio Commentary by writer/director Clive Barker and restoration producer Mark Alan Miller
• Tribes of the Moon: The Making of Nightbreed featuring interviews with Craig Sheffer, Anne Bobby, Doug Bradley and more… (72 minutes)
• Making Monsters - interviews with makeup effects artists Bob Keen, Martin Mercer and Paul Jones (42 minutes)
• Fire! Fights! Stunts! 2nd Unit Shooting - an interview with Andy Armstrong (20 minutes)
• Original Theatrical Trailer
1:78 Widescreen/DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1/Dolby Digital 5.1/English Subtitles

DISC 2: BONUS DISC
• Deleted and Alternate Scenes (approx. 20 minutes)
• Monster Prosthetics Master Class
• Cutting Compromise – an interview with editor Mark Goldblatt
• The Painted Landscape: The Concept Art of Ralph McQuarrie
• Matte Painting Tests
• Makeup Tests
• Stop Motion Lost Footage
• Extended Torture Scene
• Rehearsal of Boone’s dream
• Extensive Still Galleries – Early Sketches, Deleted Scene, Posters and Pre-Production art, On the Set, The Cast and Crew
DISC 3: THE THEATRICAL CUT
• New transfer from the inter-positive
1:78 Widescreen/DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1/English Subtitles

**NOTE: Those who order the Limited Edition and Special Edition sets directly from us at www.ScreamfactoryDVD.com (http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ScreamfactoryDVD.com%2F&h=aAQHg_ms4&enc=AZM6ikDrlL4LOMHKJuw_1PMVKmmBQ7Cyt4E2pObEiyGtgL tUm2gBD_3IfJ-Zid5o631I326dEN0dXddRDG9ewt9wUvBwvUNNhqUz8N4kRgZyd 0T85gmO-SH12a8lBXvd_Y-8XPygBQoUnF_tRDO-xZt30UDZ5Ubnl1J0EV3Xx1ma2A&s=1) will also receive an exclusive 18”x24” poster of the newly designed artworks (available while supplies last) plus a 2-week early ship on 10/14.

Derrick King
09-03-2014, 02:54 PM
Think I'm going to cancel my limited edition order. Nothing on that bonus disc is worth the extra $$$$.

Christian Bates-Hardy
09-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Think I'm going to cancel my limited edition order. Nothing on that bonus disc is worth the extra $$$$.

Agreed. I feel much more okay with having just preordered the regular edition.

Ian Jane
10-20-2014, 08:50 AM
Did You Get a 3 Disc Nightbreed By Mistake? Scream Factory Wants That Back! (http://zombiesdontrun.net/did-you-get-a-3-disc-nightbreed-by-mistake-scream-factory-wants-that-back/)

sukebanboy
10-20-2014, 09:03 AM
LOL.....Someone's head is gonna roll in that company!!!!!

Wonder how many will send it back???...Would YOU?:eyebrows:

Mark Tolch
10-20-2014, 09:16 AM
The poll results are great. 82% would keep the 3 disc haha.

Paul L
11-26-2014, 10:57 AM
I watched the DC today and enjoyed it immensely, though to be honest I've always liked the film. The structure still feels quite elliptical, even in the director's cut - but my memories of the novel have always overshadowed the film adaptation. Sorta Spoiler-ish However, I did miss the 'resurrection' of Decker at the end, which was a nice bit of irony in the original theatrical cut that's lacking here.

Ian Jane
07-14-2017, 09:15 AM
So the Cabal Cut is getting a Blu-ray release, limited to 200 pcs and to sell for $200, being done through Barker's site directly.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/nightbreed/50682/nightbreed-cabal-cut-heading-to-blu-ray

http://www.clivebarkercast.com/2017/07/13/cabal-cut-to-be-released-on-blu-ray-exclusive-announcement/

Matt H.
07-14-2017, 11:36 AM
Oooo... that's tempting. One of my favourite films of all-time. Where did you see that it's $200? That's fucking crazy.

Ian Jane
07-14-2017, 11:38 AM
Oooo... that's tempting. One of my favourite films of all-time. Where did you see that it's $200? That's fucking crazy.

Saw it reported on FB earlier today.

Ian Jane
07-27-2017, 05:12 PM
Update:

THIS PRODUCT WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO ORDER UNTIL OCTOBER.

– Limited and numbered to 250 BluRay of Nightbreed: The Cabal Cut
– Exclusive enamel pin of Clive’s “Decker” art
– Mini-Poster of Nightbreed concept art by Ralph McQuarrie
– 10 postcard set of Nightbreed images
– Much more to be confirmed

SPECIAL FEATURES:
– Introduction by Mark Alan Miller
– Feature commentary with Russell Cherrington (Restoration Producer) & Jimmi Johnson (Cabal Cut editor)
– Feature commentary with Occupy Midian founders José Leitão & Ryan Danhauser.

RUNTIME: 145 minutes | Region Free | NTSC

This is a composite edit of all Nightbreed cuts, workprints and available production dailies. please note, that whilst all effort was made to ensure the highest possible definition, in order to include as much footage as possible, the cabal cut includes 12 minutes of VHS workprint video and 30 minutes of VHS workprint audio, leading to scenes varying in quality.

https://www.realclivebarker.com/product/nightbreed-the-cabal-cut/

Ian Jane
11-20-2017, 11:01 AM
Remaining copies of the Cabal Cut are up for sale as of this morning.

http://www.clivebarkercast.com/2017/11/17/nightbreed-the-cabal-cut-is-back/

enandalusiskhund
11-20-2017, 07:17 PM
Apparently $50 is an "exclusive" price for a BD. Not sure what that means, but I'm guessing something like "inflated". I kind of liked the theatrical version for what it was when I saw it twenty years ago, so I'd probably buy this if the price was a little less "exclusive". As of now, I'll just PIRATE THE LIVING HELL OUT OF IT!!

King-Wasp
11-21-2017, 03:39 AM
Was all over this bitch like stink on shit. Managed to snag a copy at 6:00 PM EST.

Ian Jane
11-22-2017, 11:05 AM
Was all over this bitch like stink on shit. Managed to snag a copy at 6:00 PM EST.

You got lucky, it sold out pretty quickly.

King-Wasp
12-21-2017, 04:52 AM
This ain’t none of that middle of the mall shit.

http://i67.tinypic.com/4kg3gh.jpg

Matt H.
12-21-2017, 04:53 PM
That's so wicked, Mr. Wasp. Please share your thoughts on the Cabal Cut BD when you get a chance.

King-Wasp
12-22-2017, 04:37 AM
That's so wicked, Mr. Wasp. Please share your thoughts on the Cabal Cut BD when you get a chance.

Thank you, bruv! It looks killer next to my Dream Warriors Australian daybill. They’re both borderless, and have somewhat comparable color schemes. Oh, dude, it’s delightful! To give you an idea, think of the integral cut of Re-Animator- everything including the kitchen sink, edited into the film. The theatrical ending is tacked on at the end of the credits, the deleted scenes are all incorporated into the film, and it doesn’t flow like the director’s cut. I’m gonna wager a guess and say you’re like me in that you prefer the director’s cut. It’s gnarly as a companion piece, but the added workprint footage doesn’t add much to the presentation... at least in my opinion- tho actual mile may vary.

But enough about me. Have you seen it? And if so, how’d ya like it?

Matt H.
12-22-2017, 10:27 AM
Thank you, bruv! It looks killer next to my Dream Warriors Australian daybill. They’re both borderless, and have somewhat comparable color schemes. Oh, dude, it’s delightful! To give you an idea, think of the integral cut of Re-Animator- everything including the kitchen sink, edited into the film. The theatrical ending is tacked on at the end of the credits, the deleted scenes are all incorporated into the film, and it doesn’t flow like the director’s cut. I’m gonna wager a guess and say you’re like me in that you prefer the director’s cut. It’s gnarly as a companion piece, but the added workprint footage doesn’t add much to the presentation... at least in my opinion- tho actual mile may vary.

But enough about me. Have you seen it? And if so, how’d ya like it?

I wasn't able to get a copy. I'm hoping there might be some more available in the future.

VinceP
03-05-2019, 06:02 PM
A new longer version is being worked on...
https://www.clivebarkercast.com/2019/02/24/new-version-of-cabal-cut-reaches-three-hours/

Roderick
03-06-2019, 10:52 AM
Polish that turd until you can see your reflection!

Mark Tolch
03-13-2019, 07:30 AM
Polish that turd until you can see your reflection!

Indeed haha.

Ian Jane
06-11-2019, 08:24 AM
As per Dawn Of The Discs, Arrow are releasing this later this year. No specs or other info available yet.

Ian Jane
07-26-2019, 10:25 AM
Arrow UK, October.

From the mind of writer/director Clive Barker – the macabre visionary responsible for Hellraiser and Candyman – comes Nightbreed, a nightmare-induced fantasy set in a world like nothing you’ve ever experienced before… one which will leave you questioning who the real monsters are.

By night, Aaron Boone (Craig Sheffer, Teen Wolf) dreams of Midian, a hidden subterranean world where monsters have created a haven from humanity. Under pressure from his girlfriend Lori (Anne Bobby, Born on the Fourth of July), he attends psychotherapy sessions, unaware that his shrink, Dr Decker (Videodrome director David Cronenberg), is setting him up to take the fall for a series of violent murders. Convinced he no longer belongs in the human world, Boone goes in search of Midian – not realising that the real killer has plans for both him and the colourful cast of outsiders who call it home…

The victim of studio interference and an unrepresentative marketing campaign, Nightbreed was poorly received by critics on its initial release and failed to ignite the box office, but has since undergone a radical reappraisal. Arrow Video is proud to present two versions of this depraved cult classic: the studio-approved theatrical cut and the reconstructed, reinvigorated director’s cut, for the ultimate nightmarish viewing experience.

Production Year: 1990
Region Code: B
UK Rating: 15
Running Time: 102 / 120 mins
Number of Discs: 2
Language: English
Subtitles: English SDH
Audio: 5.1 / 2.0 Stereo
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Colour: Colour

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:

High Definition Blu-ray™ (1080p) presentations of the 120-minute director’s cut, transferred from the original camera negative, and the 102-minute theatrical cut, transferred from the original interpositive
Lossless 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and uncompressed 2.0 PCM audio on the director’s cut
Uncompressed 2.0 PCM audio on the theatrical cut
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
New audio commentary on the theatrical cut by critics Adrian J Smith and David Flint
Audio commentary on the director’s cut by writer/director Clive Barker and restoration producer Mark Alan Miller
Introduction to the director’s cut by Clive Barker and Mark Alan Miller
Walking the Line Between Heaven and Hell, a new video interview with critic Kat Ellinger
Speaking up for the Monsters, a new video interview with critic Kim Newman
Tribes of the Moon: Making Nightbreed, an extensive documentary on the making of the film, featuring actors Craig Sheffer, Doug Bradley, Anne Bobby and many more
Making Monsters, a documentary on the film’s creature designs, featuring special makeup designer Bob Keen
Fire! Fights! Stunts!, a video interview with second unit director Andy Armstrong
Deleted and alternate scenes
Monster Prosthetics Masterclass
Cutting Compromise, a video interview with editor Mark Goldblatt
The Painted Landscape, an exploration of the work of concept artist Ralph McQuarrie
Matte painting tests
Makeup tests
Lost stop motion footage
Extended torture scene
Rehearsal test
Theatrical trailer
Rare TV spots
Multiple image galleries, including early sketches, set photos, poster and pre-production art, stills from the UK launch party at Tower Records, and more
Original screenplay (BD-ROM content)
Reversible sleeve feature original and newly commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx
Double-sided fold-out poster
Limited edition 40-page booklet, featuring new writing on the film by author and critic Amy Simmons and an in-depth history of the film’s development, release and rehabilitation by Mark Salisbury, co-author of Clive Barker’s Nightbreed: The Making of the Film

VinceP
07-26-2019, 10:33 AM
Wow, so the new Cabal Cut still MIA...

Jake Scully
08-02-2019, 07:48 AM
Arrow UK, October.

From the mind of writer/director Clive Barker – the macabre visionary responsible for Hellraiser and Candyman – comes Nightbreed, a nightmare-induced fantasy set in a world like nothing you’ve ever experienced before… one which will leave you questioning who the real monsters are.

By night, Aaron Boone (Craig Sheffer, Teen Wolf) dreams of Midian, a hidden subterranean world where monsters have created a haven from humanity. Under pressure from his girlfriend Lori (Anne Bobby, Born on the Fourth of July), he attends psychotherapy sessions, unaware that his shrink, Dr Decker (Videodrome director David Cronenberg), is setting him up to take the fall for a series of violent murders. Convinced he no longer belongs in the human world, Boone goes in search of Midian – not realising that the real killer has plans for both him and the colourful cast of outsiders who call it home…

The victim of studio interference and an unrepresentative marketing campaign, Nightbreed was poorly received by critics on its initial release and failed to ignite the box office, but has since undergone a radical reappraisal. Arrow Video is proud to present two versions of this depraved cult classic: the studio-approved theatrical cut and the reconstructed, reinvigorated director’s cut, for the ultimate nightmarish viewing experience.

Production Year: 1990
Region Code: B
UK Rating: 15
Running Time: 102 / 120 mins
Number of Discs: 2
Language: English
Subtitles: English SDH
Audio: 5.1 / 2.0 Stereo
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Colour: Colour

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:

High Definition Blu-ray™ (1080p) presentations of the 120-minute director’s cut, transferred from the original camera negative, and the 102-minute theatrical cut, transferred from the original interpositive
Lossless 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and uncompressed 2.0 PCM audio on the director’s cut
Uncompressed 2.0 PCM audio on the theatrical cut
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
New audio commentary on the theatrical cut by critics Adrian J Smith and David Flint
Audio commentary on the director’s cut by writer/director Clive Barker and restoration producer Mark Alan Miller
Introduction to the director’s cut by Clive Barker and Mark Alan Miller
Walking the Line Between Heaven and Hell, a new video interview with critic Kat Ellinger
Speaking up for the Monsters, a new video interview with critic Kim Newman
Tribes of the Moon: Making Nightbreed, an extensive documentary on the making of the film, featuring actors Craig Sheffer, Doug Bradley, Anne Bobby and many more
Making Monsters, a documentary on the film’s creature designs, featuring special makeup designer Bob Keen
Fire! Fights! Stunts!, a video interview with second unit director Andy Armstrong
Deleted and alternate scenes
Monster Prosthetics Masterclass
Cutting Compromise, a video interview with editor Mark Goldblatt
The Painted Landscape, an exploration of the work of concept artist Ralph McQuarrie
Matte painting tests
Makeup tests
Lost stop motion footage
Extended torture scene
Rehearsal test
Theatrical trailer
Rare TV spots
Multiple image galleries, including early sketches, set photos, poster and pre-production art, stills from the UK launch party at Tower Records, and more
Original screenplay (BD-ROM content)
Reversible sleeve feature original and newly commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx
Double-sided fold-out poster
Limited edition 40-page booklet, featuring new writing on the film by author and critic Amy Simmons and an in-depth history of the film’s development, release and rehabilitation by Mark Salisbury, co-author of Clive Barker’s Nightbreed: The Making of the Film

This has made my day!!