PDA

View Full Version : THE KEEP (1983) Might Be Coming To DVD

Shawn Francis
04-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Someone made a post on AV Maniacs yesterday that said this: "It seems that Paramount is currently working on an HD master of this film..." I discounted this since it was April Fool's Day, but on the off chance it was true, I emailed the guy to ask him if he was being serious, or pulling a prank.

Here's what he told me: "No it isn't a joke, a FaceBook friend of mine who is working for dvd companies posted last week on his FB wall the news that Paramount has a new HD master for the film, so i guess that this year a dvd or Blu Ray will be released."

Shawn Francis
04-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Next year is Paramount's 30th anniversary, my guess is it'll be hitting DVD in 2013.

Ian Jane
04-02-2012, 01:00 PM
You honestly think The Keep is at the top of Paramount's list of anniversary titles? And wasn't Paramount founded in 1912?

More than likely it's gonna wind up on TV somewhere in HD or it'll be farmed out to Olive Films or something like that.

I hope it comes out, haven't seen it in a long, long time.

Paul Casey
04-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Prolly meant The Keep's 30th.

Ian Jane
04-02-2012, 01:47 PM
That'd make more sense.

Shawn Francis
04-02-2012, 02:18 PM
No, someone told me next year is Paramount's 30th anniversary. You doubt my knowledge?! For shame.

Shawn Francis
04-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Wait, my knowledge maybe flawed . . .

Shawn Francis
04-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Yes, it is. That's what I get for not doing the legwork and taking people at face value with their facebook posts. Dammit.

Dom D
04-02-2012, 07:55 PM
I'm always surprised there's so much interest in this one.

Only saw it once and that many moons ago but I remember thinking at the time that it was like an episode of Doctor Who only without the Doctor.

Shawn Francis
04-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Over the years I have learned there is no middle ground with this movie. You either love it, or you hate it.

Roderick
04-02-2012, 09:11 PM
The book is better.
The comic is better.
The board game is better.
Even the RPG module is better.
I don't love it by a long shot, but I'd still buy a nice DVD or blu release.

Randy G
04-03-2012, 05:03 AM
Like Lynch's Dune, it looks great but is a total mess. I'd buy the blu-ray for sure.

Travis Sheldon
04-03-2012, 11:46 AM
I think a blu release with all the stuff the studio cut would be great.

Jack J
04-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Someone

I have a feeling that someone is Stéphane Piter who's a special effects make-up artist in France and who runs this awesome site dedicated to THE KEEP:
http://www.the-keep.ath.cx/

Dave Starry
04-03-2012, 10:32 PM
This movie deserves a bit of cleaning up. The version that was (still is?) streaming on NetFlix looked like hell (and not in a good way).

Zane C.
04-03-2012, 10:53 PM
I have a feeling that someone is Stéphane Piter who's a special effects make-up artist in France and who runs this awesome site dedicated to THE KEEP:
http://www.the-keep.ath.cx/

This is an awesome website! Have you seen this guy's design for a four disc SE? It's pretty amazing. Seeing as I like this movie, I would plunk down some serious cash for a set like that.

Shawn Francis
05-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Just spoke to someone who frequents my DVD NEWS FLASH page, he tells me he's got a friend who works at Paramount in the UK and this friend has told him it's been remastered and will be hitting DVD & blu-ray later this year.

UPDATE: He just sent me another post with some clarification. There is no UK release planned, he meant to say US release, and he thinks Paramount has given it to someone to release, so it won't be them per say putting it out.

Jack J
05-23-2012, 06:34 PM
Awesome, Shawn!

Btw, I read about there being two different endings (or one that is longer than the other one). Apparently a TV version has some extra bit. I wonder which one they'll use.

Roderick
05-23-2012, 06:51 PM
http://youtu.be/zoHldOn-i9E

Shawn Francis
05-23-2012, 07:27 PM
There's, like, an hour, or 30 minutes, can remember which, of footage that was cut. A director's cut would be welcome. Probably won't be, but I'm cool with that.

Derrick King
05-24-2012, 01:43 PM
If Paramount licensed this to another company, it is either Olive, Shout Factory, or Criterion. Most likely Olive, which means it will not have any special features.

Robert W
05-25-2012, 10:09 PM
Over the years I have learned there is no middle ground with this movie. You either love it, or you hate it.

Middlegrounder here. I think it's a fun film, that I neither love nor hate. I'd say I like it less than Lifeforce, but more than The Hunger or Alien.

Derrick King
06-04-2012, 01:14 AM
Shout posted on their Scream Factory facebook page that they are not going to be releasing THE KEEP. So, I guess Olive is going to be the ones to release it.

Ian Jane
06-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Given that they've been handling almost all of Paramount's older catalogue titles, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it land with Olive.

Shawn Francis
02-14-2013, 03:18 PM
To all fans of Michael Mann's THE KEEP (1983) there will be an extensive documentary on the making of this movie coming out this year from Stewart Buck, filmmaker/historian. Unfortunately he has NO idea about any kind of DVD release for the movie itself. But this doc he has finished should be the end all and be all on the making of this movie. Formal announcement of it will take place in the Spring.

Zane C.
08-19-2013, 01:50 PM
To all fans of Michael Mann's THE KEEP (1983) there will be an extensive documentary on the making of this movie coming out this year from Stewart Buck, filmmaker/historian. Unfortunately he has NO idea about any kind of DVD release for the movie itself. But this doc he has finished should be the end all and be all on the making of this movie. Formal announcement of it will take place in the Spring.

Any further info about this?

Shawn Francis
08-19-2013, 02:35 PM
The last update I ever got was this email here, which was sent out to a bunch of people who were interested, which was back in May. Piter was pissed too when I revealed the title of the doc on the web this past Spring. For the record, he never told me not to:

"Thank you very much for your messages of interest around the world over the past couple of months, in regard to our retrospective on THE KEEP.
Just to inform you on a few matters.

We are planning our first official announcement now in the summer, whilst we wait on further collaboration and materials.

You'll be pleased to know we have been working extremely hard on this since 2011. Stephane Piter was the initial motor for the project - his website being something that most of you would have been aware of over the years. With my help, we finally took it to the next level and made it a reality. We've seen it grow into something really special, making lasting friendships with original cast and crew from the film and in some cases even employing them!

We're far from a release as yet i'm afraid, but closer to the end of physical production. We would hope to have over 7hrs of content (new and old) in the running, by the time the project is fully completed.

To confirm a few things. It will also include additional content around the source material and peripheries. It will include the things you knew, the things that you might have known and the things that were hitherto unknown. All of which, will be explored in great detail.

There are certainly plans now for it to form as part of a movement to help reconstruct and restore the film from surviving elements. Something for which we'll need your full support later on down the line.

All these things take a lot of time and effort, but we'll keep you posted.

That's all for now folks!"

Derrick King
05-26-2015, 12:35 PM
So Alan Jones tweeted (https://twitter.com/alanfrightfest/status/597667744826454016?s=04) the following a couple weeks ago

Michael Mann's THE KEEP devotees, I'm being interviewed about my time on the Shepperton set for a major DVD extra doc. Such wild memories...
Doing it for the US release, so not sure....

Damin J. Toell
05-26-2015, 03:27 PM
So Alan Jones tweeted (https://twitter.com/alanfrightfest/status/597667744826454016?s=04) the following a couple weeks ago

Apparently that's for the aforementioned documentary, not for a release of THE KEEP itself: https://twitter.com/thekeepdoc/status/603211505660764161

Derrick King
05-26-2015, 10:46 PM
Ah damn it.

JLG
11-08-2017, 07:22 PM
any news on this? Olive?

what about the documentary? every time i check the site for that it seems like it has stalled.

any info out there on these?

Derrick King
11-08-2017, 09:38 PM
According to Kino's Mister Lime, they had licensed THE KEEP and were prepping to do a new 4K scan, but Paramount killed the project.

Darcy Parker
11-08-2017, 10:40 PM
That’s rather interesting.