PDA

View Full Version : Underrated/overrated sequels

Alex K.
04-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Name sequels the you like and are at times better than the original or another film in the franchise that gets all the attention. Feel free to bash sequels you feel are overrated.

For me: I prefer Halloween 2 over the original. The original will always be a classic that has been infinitely ripped off but I think the sequel is just a better Slasher picture. Great use of a hospital location, gorier and more effective (IMHO) kills, and I think it was more tense. The scene where Curtis is crawling away from Myers and just barely gets inside the elevator always gets to me a little. Also, I like the opening credits more with the pumpkin splitting open revealing a skull.

Also Halloween 3 but that's getting a lot more recognition these days.

Another one: Godfather 3. I don't like Part 2. I thought Part 2 was too slow and not as interesting as part 3. I prefer part 3... aside from Sofia Coppola but I like the idea of Michael Corleone trying to reform and dealing with Catholic bank and the montage of killings in the 3rd act are very effective. Plus I liked Andy Garcia and thought he was great. Just Sofia Coppola and a semi-confusing plot hurt it.

Alien 3 (assembly cut) and Predator 2 are amazing films and I've written about them WAY too much over the years. Alien 3 is the perfect closure to the saga and Predator 2 is fun as hell.

Randy G
04-03-2012, 05:10 AM
Can't say I agree with any of your opinions so far but a great idea for a thread.

Aliens I found nowhere near as good as Alien. It's a decent 80s action flick but the ending is terrible and it lacks what I like so much in the first: great set-design and sense of atmosphere and a great cast. The first Alien is a flawed picture for me (the killings become predictable and goofy) but far outclasses the sequel.

Terminator II, I don't think this has the rep is once did, but I find young Edward Furlong (who to be fair did good work later), the attempt to make the Terminator human and sympathetic and the terrible dialogue renders this one almost unwatchable for me. Again, it lacks what made the first film so great: a stark no-nonsense storyline and atmospheric cinematography on a low-budget.

Robin Bougie
04-03-2012, 05:54 AM
Don't agree with any of the pics so far being better than the originals, although aside for Godfather 3, they are all very good sequels.

It's not so common in North America, but in Asia it's not so strange for the sequels to be better than the first instalment:

Big Brother Cheng (HK 1975. Shaw Bros. Sequel to "The Teahouse")
Fong Sai Yuk 2 (HK 1993)
Drunken Master 2 (HK 1994)
In The Line of Duty 4 (1989 HK. Donnie Yen kicking all kinds of ass)
Swordsman 2 (HK 1993)
Once Upon a Time in China 2 (HK 1992)
And how about all those Godzilla sequels? I much prefer the run of Godzilla movies in the late 90s to the ones that came before. Better FX, better stories, all the same awesome model cities getting thrashed.
....and both:
Female Convict Scorpion: Beast Stable (1973 Dir: Shunya Ito)
and
Female Convict Scorpion: Jailhouse 41 (1972 Dir: Shunya Ito)
are better than the first movie.

For North America, I'd say Return of the King (the second one) is better than the first Lord Of The Rings movie. Although I guess that is technically a New Zealand movie.

I'd also say that The Kiss of Her Flesh (1968. the third one) is the best of the Findlay's Flesh trilogy.

Robin Bougie
04-03-2012, 05:56 AM
And I agree that T2 is one of the most overrated sequels of all time, Randy.

Ian Jane
04-03-2012, 09:44 AM
I'm with Robin on the Flesh movies and the Female Convict Scorpion movies.

I think I prefer the 2nd Lone Wolf and Cub film to the first - just a bit more action in it, though it's hard to not see them as part of the same movie really.

Same with Kill Bill - I like the 2nd part better than the first but again, they're the same movie so I don't know if they really count or not.

I think Friday the 13th Part IV is a lot better than the three movies that came before it.

Paul Casey
04-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Aliens I found nowhere near as good as Alien. It's a decent 80s action flick but the ending is terrible and it lacks what I like so much in the first: great set-design and sense of atmosphere and a great cast. The first Alien is a flawed picture for me (the killings become predictable and goofy) but far outclasses the sequel.

It blows my mind that people like Aliens more than Alien.

Underrated - Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey
Hellraiser 2

Probably more, but I'm hungry.

Ian Jane
04-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Hellraiser 2

Probably more, but I'm hungry.

Good call, Hellbound is awesome, as good as the original.

Time for leftover meatloaf!

Troville
04-03-2012, 05:36 PM
It blows my mind that people like Aliens more than Alien.

I'm always in the minority on this one, but it blows my mind that people prefer Alien to Aliens. The sequel is an entertaining big-budget action romp that ranks up there with The Road Warrior and Terminator 2 (which I just realized are both sequels). I've never found Alien to be particularly effective or suspenseful.

Anyway, I'd say that Demons 2 is pretty fucking awesome, mostly because it follows the exact same formula as Demons but with new wave and post-punk songs rather than a cheesy hair metal soundtrack.

Alex K.
04-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Demons 2? Really? There wasn't even that much New Wave Post-Punk music in it. Plus Demons had White Wedding playing during coke-snorting. And because of that it's clearly superior.

Troville
04-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Demons 2? Really? There wasn't even that much New Wave Post-Punk music in it. Plus Demons had White Wedding playing during coke-snorting. And because of that it's clearly superior.

Read again. I never said it was superior. I said it was "pretty fucking awesome," which it is.

Alex K.
04-03-2012, 08:21 PM
I would still disagree.

Alex K.
04-04-2012, 12:47 AM
Deathstalker 2 is a flick that's way better than the other films in the series. One of the few Jim Wrynorski flicks I enjoy.

Robin Bougie
04-04-2012, 01:45 AM
Oh, good call on that. DEATHSTALKER 2 is great!

Newt Cox
04-04-2012, 02:21 AM
And I agree that T2 is one of the most overrated sequels of all time, Randy.

I have hated T2 since I saw it opening night.

Alex K.
04-04-2012, 02:23 AM
I think Friday the 13th Part IV is a lot better than the three movies that came before it.

I think that's a given. Part 7 is pretty bad but for some reason I enjoy parts 8 and 9 quite a bit, but I also hate Jason X... I'm weird.

Robert W
04-04-2012, 07:20 PM
I thought there were several films in the Lone Wolf and Cub, Zatoichi, and Sleepy Eyes of Death series that were as good as the originals. Of course Kenji Misumi directed them all. :)

I also thought the fourth Blind Dead Film, Night of the Sea Gulls, was at least as good as the original, and certainly better than 2 and 3.

Robin Bougie
04-05-2012, 08:54 AM
For overrated sequels, I'm gonna say:

SILENCE OF THE LAMBS

Not a bad movie or anything, but I prefer MANHUNTER, and I think it's often overlooked and has really been lost in the wake of LAMBS.

The Silly Swede
04-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Im with Robin 100% there. Manhunter is a god damn masterpiece while Silence is just a solid thriller.

Ian Jane
04-05-2012, 10:23 AM
In a lot of ways I think A Better Tomorrow II is better than the first one.