PDA

View Full Version : Silent Night Deadly Night Remake Coming in 2012

Ian Jane
04-09-2012, 07:04 PM
According to this article on Dread Central (http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/54429/malcolm-mcdowell-talks-silent-night-deadly-night-remake), Malcolm McDowell is going to be starring in a remake of the film to be titled simply Silent Night.

"To be produced by Richard Saperstein (The Mist), Brian Witten (Chernobyl Diaries) and Shara Kay (The Barrens), Silent Night is set to go before cameras next month in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, with Malcolm McDowell starring as Sheriff Cooper, a small-town hero ready for some big-time action. Miller will direct from a script by exec producer Jayson Rothwell. Anchor Bay has picked up North American distribution rights to the project that will unspool this holiday season."

I like the original but it's far from flawless.

Steven C. Miller (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1921345/) is directing, the guy who made Automaton Transfusion.

Tom K
04-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Do you think it will get all the controversy the original got?

Alex K.
04-09-2012, 10:57 PM
What an odd title to remake. Not mainstream enough for name brand recognition but hell they made a remake of I Spit on Your Grave so fuck it.

Could be good, but it would be a mistake to try to out-sleaze the original. Now, a well-made Henry: POASK-style picture could work but I doubt the director has the skill to pull it off having unfortunately watched Automaton Transfusion.

Ian Jane
04-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Do you think it will get all the controversy the original got?

Nope. I doubt it'll get any controversy at all unless he goes really, really out there. Like Alex says, the original is pretty sleazy but by modern standards it's not that harsh.

Mark Tolch
04-10-2012, 10:31 AM
I always get this one and Silent Night, Bloody Night confused. Is this the one with the kid who sees his parents get killed by the Santa robber guy, and then ends up as the Santa at a hardware store after being raised in a Catholic orphanage?

Gary Banks
04-10-2012, 06:35 PM
SILENT FART, DEADLY FART.

Tom K
04-10-2012, 07:16 PM
I always get this one and Silent Night, Bloody Night confused. Is this the one with the kid who sees his parents get killed by the Santa robber guy, and then ends up as the Santa at a hardware store after being raised in a Catholic orphanage?

Yes, SNDN is what you described...

I just was reminiscing about the hub-bub the original caused way back when...I didn't think anyone would care in this day and age, but I thought I would just put that out there...how times have changed...

Mark Tolch
04-10-2012, 08:49 PM
What was the controversy back then? Was it much different than other slashers?

Mark Tolch
04-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Huh, just read up a bit, and watched the youtubed Siskel and Ebert clip on it. Hard to believe it was such a big deal to have a Santa-suited killer.

Ian Jane
10-22-2012, 02:48 PM
Press release!

If you still think Halloween is the scariest night of the year...

RING IN THE HOLIDAYS THE ANCHOR BAY WAY WITH SILENT NIGHT

In select theaters November 30th; Blu-ray(TM)/DVD combo and DVD on sale December 4th

BEVERLY HILLS, CA - You better watch out! Santa Claus is coming to town, and he knows who's been bad. On November 30th, Anchor Bay Films presents Silent Night on screen in ten major U.S. metropolitan areas. Blu-ray(TM)/DVD combo and DVD will be available to unwrap nationwide on December 4th.

A loose remake of the horror classic Silent Night, Deadly Night, the film's stellar cast includes Malcolm McDowell (Rob Zombie's Halloween, Easy A), Jaime King (Sin City, My Bloody Valentine 3D), Donal Logue (Shark Night 3D, Blade), Lisa Marie (Sleepy Hollow), Brendan Fehr (Final Destination, X-Men First Class), and Ellen Wong (Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World).

McDowell and King star as a small-town sheriff and deputy on the hunt for a murderous Santa Claus terrorizing their community on Christmas Eve. But with the streets full of Santas for the annual Christmas parade, the killer is hiding in plain sight. He's made his list, checked it twice, and the naughty are going to pay with their lives.

Silent Night was directed by Steven C. Miller (Automaton Transfusion, The Aggression Scale) and produced by The Genre Company and Insidious Pictures.

SRP is $29.99 for the Blu-ray(TM)/DVD combo and $24.98 for the DVD, with pre-book on November 7th. Bonus features include "SILENT NIGHT: Behind The Scenes" featurette and Deleted Scenes.

About Anchor Bay Films:
Anchor Bay Films is unique in that it offers the creative community a fully integrated distribution capability on all platforms and an international solution extending beyond the U.S. Anchor Bay Films is a division of Anchor Bay Entertainment and is on the ground providing quality distribution with operations in the U.S., United Kingdom, Canada and Australia, as well as distribution capabilities in other key territories. The company focuses on a platform release strategy for its films with an eye toward maximizing their potential across all ancillary distribution platforms. Recent theatrical releases include Ten Years starring Channing Tatum and Rosario Dawson, High School starring Adrien Brody and Colin Hanks and Seeking Justice starring Nicolas Cage, January Jones and Guy Pearce. Films in its library include the critically-acclaimed comedy City Island starring Andy Garcia and Solitary Man starring Michael Douglas as well as the 2011 releases of Kill the Irishman starring Ray Stevenson, Vincent D'Onofrio, Val Kilmer and Christopher Walken, Toronto Film Festival award-winner Beautiful Boy with Maria Bello and Michael Sheen and Cannes 2011 premiere Corman's World.

Anchor Bay Entertainment is a subsidiary of Starz Media, LLC which is an operating unit of Starz, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Liberty Media Corporation.

Silent Night 2012

Blu-ray(TM)/DVD combo
Street Date: December 4, 2012.
Pre-Book Date: November 7, 2012.
Catalog #: BD59740
UPC: 0 1313 25974-0 9
Run Time: 94 minutes
Rating: R
SRP: $29.99
Format: 2.40:1/16x9 1080p
Audio: Dolby TrueHD 5.1 (Blu-ray(TM)) / Dolby Digital 5.1 (DVD)
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish

DVD
Street Date: December 4, 2012.
Pre-Book Date: November 7, 2012.
Catalog # AF59738
UPC: 0 1313 25973-8 6
Run Time: 94 minutes
Rating: R
SRP: $24.98
Format: 2.40:1/16x9
Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish

Shawn Francis
10-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Re-release of 1 & 2 are happening on that same day, too. Double feature.

bgart13
10-22-2012, 04:01 PM
DVD only, right?

Shawn Francis
10-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Yes, so far I have not come across any sign of a blu-ray, sadly.

AMAZON PRE-ORDER

(http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Night-Deadly-Eric-Freeman/dp/B009IV2Z3M/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1350936346&sr=1-1&keywords=silent+night+deadly+night)I (http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Night-Deadly-Eric-Freeman/dp/B009IV2Z3M/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1350936346&sr=1-1&keywords=silent+night+deadly+night) also assume all extras from the original will be ported over, too.

Ian Jane
10-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Yeah, 1 & 2 are getting re-released, DVD only, due 12/4. It's a double feature disc, no new extras but slightly different cover art.

Ehren H
10-22-2012, 09:31 PM
I love this series a whole lot, yes even 2 and 3. Honestly, this sounds like it could be a lot of fun. They said in the release it's a "loose" remake, so my bias will be low. I do enjoy the idea of another santa-suited slasher flick. Could be a blast.

Ian Jane
10-23-2012, 10:44 AM
So... ok. Yesterday's press release from AB didn't mention anything about the first two original films coming to Blu-ray, just DVD only. But Blu-ray.com says that the double feature is getting a Blu-ray release as well.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9804

Ehren H
10-23-2012, 12:03 PM
Oh man...I need SNDN on blu, this needs to happen. Inarguably one of the best slashers of the early 80's. So sleazy, so violent, so...wrong!

Plus it has Linnea Quigley's boobies.

sukebanboy
10-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Inarguably one of the best slashers of the early 80's. So sleazy, so violent, so...wrong!

Plus it has Linnea Quigley's boobies.

now THAT is good ad copy......That quote should be proudly added to the front cover of the DVD......Can guarantee an increase in potential sales....!

Andrew Monroe
10-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Not a fan of the sequels but yeah, I'd grab a BD that had the first SILENT NIGHT real quick. The thing that always stood out for me about the first one is the actor who played the boys' grandfather (that they visit in the institution). The guy comes across as genuinely demented and that line reading of his "boy, you better hope Santa Claus don't come see you!" is simultaneously hilarious and disturbing. That bit and the general mean-spiritedness of the film like the Santa robber and "Merry Fucking Christmas". I can completely undertstand why this kicked up a fuss at the time.

Ian Jane
10-24-2012, 09:47 AM
That bit and the general mean-spiritedness of the film like the Santa robber and "Merry Fucking Christmas". I can completely undertstand why this kicked up a fuss at the time.

Definitely. It walks a very fine line between black humor and straight out nastiness. On top of that, given that Christmas is the most popular holiday of the year and that it has religious significance for a lot of people, I can see why feathers were ruffled when it hit theaters way back when.

Mark Tolch
10-24-2012, 10:45 AM
I kinda want to see the remake. Just for fun.

sukebanboy
10-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Bet its NOT fun though.......bet its a chore to sit through...as usual....

Andrew Monroe
10-24-2012, 12:10 PM
I might check out the remake, I usually do at some point with these slasher re-dos. They don't have winning record but now and then you get a decent one. SORORITY ROW can't hold a candle to the original but it's not bad - and pretty different from the source. PROM NIGHT on the other hand was a soulless abomination.

Another thing I like in the original is how grandpa waits till the adults leave the room to become animated and fuck with the kids.

Mark Tolch
10-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Haha, I forgot all about that part!

Ehren H
10-24-2012, 03:45 PM
I actually liked the Sorority Row remake, as well as the April Fool's Day remake. I'm far more forgiving of remakes of the lesser known movies, because it (sometimes) gets us good releases of the original, and they're allowed a little more leeway to mess around and try something new. I tend to REALLY enjoy the remakes that are basically taking a loose premise of the original, or just the title, and doing a new, and different riff on it. I know it's kind of biased and hypocritical, but I really only get mad when they go after my "sacred flicks, i.e. Halloween, Chainsaw, Last House on the Left, etc. However, my main gripe with the remakes is and always has been that I'm positive there are amazing, original, and new scripts for horror movies out there being skipped over in favor of a quick remake.

The Prom Night remake was weird for me, if you typed up the premise of it, it's FAR darker, and more twisted the original. The opening scenes are kind of surprising for a horror flick geared towards the younger teen market. I get the feeling that the original screenplay for that was probably pretty strong, and studio meddling had it castrated to the goreless, sexless, and soulless flick it ended up being.

Much like the Friday the 13th remake, my expectations and "needs" for enjoying the SNDN remake are pretty low. All that I ask for this one is that it have a killer dressed as Santa, some good gore, and some nekkid ladies.

Ian Jane
11-05-2012, 02:37 PM
The trailer for the remake is up on iTunes now.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/silentnight/

Ian Jane
12-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Watched this last night. Not bad at all. Plenty gory, it earns the R-rating. Nudity too. Fairly sleazy, actually. Some impressive kills and the gore is done really well, very splattery with a twisted sense of humor behind most of it.

Apronikoff
12-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Watched this last night. Not bad at all. Plenty gory, it earns the R-rating. Nudity too. Fairly sleazy, actually. Some impressive kills and the gore is done really well, very splattery with a twisted sense of humor behind most of it.

Nice! Will definitely check this one out then...

Body Boy
12-06-2012, 03:28 AM
It's actually pretty boring and most of the victims you just meet before they're offed. Which is like a few deaths in the original, but this time it feels sloppy. The killer is a cheat and most of the kills were done before in the first two. It's so-so. 5/10

Alex K.
12-06-2012, 03:41 AM
Looks really cheap. Obviously shot in HD but I don't like the color correction at all. I'll check it out. Not expecting much.

Ian Jane
12-06-2012, 10:22 AM
It's definitely shot in HD. Get used to it.

I thought this was fun. Not nearly as um, original, as the original but splattery and enjoyable. Yeah, the victims are cardboard thin and don't get much in the way of character development but you can say that about 99% of the slasher movies out there. Agreed on the ending though, it screwed up there.

Horace Cordier
12-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Well I bought it on Amazon yesterday along with the double bill of the 2 80's originals.

These flicks represent about the only thing I like about this miserable time of year.

Bah.

Humbug.

Alex K.
12-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Saw it. It's a pointless by the numbers slasher created by frat boy gore hounds that jerk off to Suspiria.

Why did they go with a lead actress that looks eerily like Linsday Lohan?

Ian Jane
12-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Saw it. It's a pointless by the numbers slasher created by frat boy gore hounds that jerk off to Suspiria.

Aside from the use of primary lighting colors (which ties into the Christmas lights and makes sense), what exactly reminded you of Suspiria? Pointless I'll give you, most remakes are, and by the numbers, yes, most slashers are. But you lost me with the Argento wankery.

Alex K.
12-06-2012, 03:50 PM
You didn't notice the 3rd act in the Police station was drenched in Red and Blue and Green like Suspiria? Yeah, it was Xmas colors but the lighting was definitely influenced by Argento.

Ian Jane
12-06-2012, 04:07 PM
I did notice it (I pointed it out!) I just wondered if you saw some other connection to Argento aside from the lighting. Though I guess you could argue the influence is Bava's more than Argento's. But that's a different discussion all together.

I'll agree with you on the lighting, but outside of that I don't see a connection. Felt more to me like a typical stalk and slash F13/Halloween style movie with a dude in a Santa suit. I thought it was entertaining enough with some really good kills though McDowell is pretty useless in it. Jaime King does look like Lohan, but she's not nearly as skanky and not a horrible actress at all.

Alex K.
12-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Bava rarely ever went over board with colors except maybe the Drop of Water segment from Black Sabbath and Hercules in the Haunted World. I just got an Eyetalian vibe from the lighting and unfortunately the new generation of horror filmmakers have taken little else from Eyetalians. McDowell was just collecting a paycheck. The Lohan look alike wasn't as bad as Lohan but not much better either.

I just hated, hated, hated, hated, hated this movie. Hated every second of it. Hated everything about it. And I hate everything it represents in the genre now.

Scott
12-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Just about all of Mario Bava's movies use colored gel lighting, except maybe SHOCK and RABID DOGS.

Alex K.
12-06-2012, 04:38 PM
The Italians used colors limitedly. The entire shot is rarely colored all red or green or whatever. There were patches of color. Maybe I'm nitpicking on this point but it really bugged me.

Ian Jane
12-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Just about all of Mario Bava's movies use colored gel lighting, except maybe SHOCK and RABID DOGS.

Exactly. He used loads of primary color in most of his films.

I don't think use of reds and greens is masturbating to Argento specifically. The influence is there but at this point in time, the Italian forefathers don't necessarily have an exclusive on it. It's also fairly common in Japanese movies.

Ian Jane
12-06-2012, 04:45 PM
The Italians used colors limitedly.

Suspiria used it very liberally.

The entire shot is rarely colored all red or green or whatever. There were patches of color. Maybe I'm nitpicking on this point but it really bugged me.

Hey, everyone's got an opinion so it's all good. You just saw more of an influence there than I did I guess.

And I thought Jaime King was fine in the role. Likeable even. She didn't have that snotty skanky vibe that Lohan does. The physical resemblance is definitely there but I don't know that they necessarily cast for her that reason, more likely because she's been decent in a few recent horror movies and is presumably comfortable with the material. She's also enough of a name that her presence might be a draw.

My main issue with the movie was that there was no character development at all. It didn't really go out of its way to try anything different. I think if this could be judged without being compared to the admittedly much better original movie (and obviously that's not possible) it'd maybe score higher. It's derivative and unoriginal but it's also fast paced, pretty gory, and sometimes even funny. Boobs, blood, killer Santa's... perfectly passable entertainment. Nothing more, but at least that much. I've seen way, way, way worse modern horror movies than this.

Alex K.
12-06-2012, 04:49 PM
My point was Bava rarely drenched the shot with one color. Argento's Suspiria is an obvious exception.

Silent Night is just a really shallow film. And it makes you appreciate the old slashers in that they actually had build up and likable characters.

Ian Jane
12-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Silent Night is just a really shallow film. And it makes you appreciate the old slashers in that they actually had build up and likable characters.

I didn't find the characters unlikeable, just shallow. So yeah, we'll agree there. I think though that there are just as many older slashers that are just as shallow as this. Not the established classics but the B-grade ones. I saw this as basically akin to those, something like Hell Night (where people for the most part show up and get killed) as opposed to Halloween (where the characters are interesting). And I guess I went into it expecting that so there wasn't really any disappointment there.

Alex K.
12-06-2012, 05:01 PM
I'm going to disagree. I think Hell Night has more going for it than Silent Night. The characters were likable -or at least came off as real people- and not douchebags. It had atmosphere, didn't rely on gore, and was done pretty well.

Hell, I think Pieces is a notch above this. In that it was stupid and caters to teenagers looking for tits and gore. But it wasn't obnoxious about it and didn't make every character an unlikable turd.

Horace Cordier
12-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Damn this discussion is taking an esoteric turn.

I just bought it cause it looks like violent dumb fun.

Alex K.
12-06-2012, 05:10 PM
That's my problem with modern horror. They don't try. They just throw tits and gore at us and expect us to lap it up. There's no attempt at doing something different or giving us likable characters. It's become manufactured.

Ian Jane
12-06-2012, 05:12 PM
You could argue though that it's always been that way - think about how many of the Universal and Hammer films recycled the same concepts over and over again.

I'm bored and don't feel like working today so I'm arguing instead.

Alex K.
12-06-2012, 05:17 PM
I am also bored, but also cold. So I will continue.

Universal gets a pass because -come on- they were among the first genre films. Hammer did something different, for the most part, and my overall point was that older films tried. Maybe they weren't radically different from each other, but they at least gave us characters that were not put in there to be unlikable and you can't wait for them to die. And it wasn't just about the gore, it was the way it was done. We've seen tons of horror flicks where someone is stabbed to death but it's nothing like how Argento (in his prime) filmed a stabbing.

Horace Cordier
12-06-2012, 05:18 PM
That's my problem with modern horror. They don't try. They just throw tits and gore at us and expect us to lap it up. There's no attempt at doing something different or giving us likable characters. It's become manufactured.

And that's a noble sentiment I can get behind. Fact is though that I don't watch most modern horror because of what you just said. This one appeals to me cause I like McDowell and I like Christmas slashers. So it made my short list.

Last modern horror I saw was Biehn's THE VICTIM which I actually quite enjoyed. I thought it got a bit of a bum rap from the genre community and the critics.

With so much old stuff out there to discover I really pay little attention to modern horror.

Ian Jane
12-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Last modern horror I saw was Biehn's THE VICTIM which I actually quite enjoyed. I thought it got a bit of a bum rap from the genre community and the critics.

Toidd liked it.

With so much old stuff out there to discover I really pay little attention to modern horror.

I don't seek out all that much of it compared the older stuff and I'd bet that the same rings true for most of us here. But there are still decent and somewhat original horror movies coming out worth seeing. Movies that do try something new. Not that Silent Night is one of them, but they're out there. I'd agree though that, as in the case of Biehn's film, a lot of them get pushed aside.

Which I guess begs the question, what do most people want out of a horror movie? Probably tits and gore as Alex states. With filmmaking being first and foremost a commercial endeavor most of the time, they're going to obviously try to appeal to the widest base possible. Attaching a 'name' to your movie (in the form of a remake title) helps with that too.

But then you can take the Mother's Day remake (also with King in it) and think about that one. It's a lot different than the original and while it borrows from other home invasion movies, it does at least try to think outside the box a little bit.

Jason C
12-06-2012, 06:22 PM

I love old school slashers and I don't see how you can argue that the same thing wasn't happening back in the day. There are a few that surprise but most slashers are shallow, boobs and blood exhibitions. That's why I like them so much. You know, turn off your brain and watch the sheep being led to slaughter.

sheep = dumb jocks and dim-witted naked chicks

Which I guess begs the question, what do most people want out of a horror movie? Probably tits and gore as Alex states.

Start with tits and gore. Anything more than that is gravy.

Alex K.
12-06-2012, 06:38 PM
I love old school slashers and I don't see how you can argue that the same thing wasn't happening back in the day.

Simple: Count the number of unlikable douchebags in the old slashers. Even characters that have one scene and then die. And compare that to the newer slashers. Plus they had legitimate build up. It wasn't just about gore. It was the build up to the gore that made it special.

This film, they just introduce assholes and we watch them die 2 minutes later. And hey, lets not give the killer a real motive like say Axel in My Bloody Valentine. No, he's just insane and wants revenge against no one in particular... Like Home Sweet Home (1981). Even beter, give the killer a mask and make him do the Michael Myers head tilt in every other scene.

The whole movie just offended me with it's stupidity, catering, and waste of talent.

Mark Tolch
12-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Huh. I kinda want to see this now.

Horace Cordier
12-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Huh. I kinda want to see this now.

I hear the production values may not be up to par Hollywood.

Body Boy
12-07-2012, 12:10 AM
I love old school slashers and I don't see how you can argue that the same thing wasn't happening back in the day. There are a few that surprise but most slashers are shallow, boobs and blood exhibitions. That's why I like them so much. You know, turn off your brain and watch the sheep being led to slaughter.

sheep = dumb jocks and dim-witted naked chicks

Start with tits and gore. Anything more than that is gravy.

From your perspective maybe. I'm always curious about what "turn your brain off" movies really means. This applies to most super hero flicks, comedies, and genre films alike.

I guess it's because I have a difference from a lot of people. A handful have this mindset to "watch Jason violently kill stupid teens and watch some titties!" I am opposed to this and when this comes out so obviously in a slasher film, I can't stop my eyes from rolling into the back of my head. I'm just praying some lame death metal doesn't come on to hardcore (not really) it up. When I watch a slasher, while I'm expecting cool death scenes, at the same time in a strange contradictory way, I'm watching people who I don't want to die. I don't like rooting for the killer like in the F13 remake (the first group and one person near the end is an exception; one of the few things it actually did wonderfully) and I could care less about nudity for thrills. Nudity works in shower scenes or sex scenes, or hell, even Lana in F13 V A New Beginning when it's so quirky that it works... but unless it's done for quirks, I don't want winking at the camera from filmmakers who award films 10/10 for ripping somebody's spinal cord out with a hook from their asshole because it's AWESOME THERJHDJBJBS!!!

My two cents. Who am I kidding, actually? Those were a few dimes.

I'm going to disagree. I think Hell Night has more going for it than Silent Night. The characters were likable -or at least came off as real people- and not douchebags. It had atmosphere, didn't rely on gore, and was done pretty well.

Hell, I think Pieces is a notch above this. In that it was stupid and caters to teenagers looking for tits and gore. But it wasn't obnoxious about it and didn't make every character an unlikable turd.

Yeah, really, Hell Night of all pictures? The four main teens are fleshed out as all can be, and then the two jokers hang around for far longer than a half an hour, nearly reaching the level of the others. Even the first victim was at the party beforehand and had enough likable dialogue to not be dismissive. Not a film that would help this defense. Pieces, yeah, has a number of one-time victims, but they're not assholes, and each one is an event, either to reignite the murders, to draw in protagonists, or to be stylishly chased and offed. Style is a key ingredient. Whether you like blood and gore, a scene won't work without style, which is what a lot of films today lack.

For example, the Black Christmas remake. I'm not going to sit here and proclaim that it's a good film. It's not. It's awful. Hated it on my first watch. But the way that the characters (sadly a bunch of bitches, which is why I'm only half-defending this film) are killed off individually with great cinematography and style keeps at least something there. Whether Silent Night is a better film than B XMas 06, I'm not really ready to go into. But it has more personality and charisma, dare I say, which is what a film with all the ingredients needs to succeed. The F13 remake, for example. On paper, you'd think that they'd finally got it with the series and brought it back to form after 20 years. But when you purposely mock it, make it more predictable than the entire series before it, and take life out of the characters, you steal from the film its soul, which will remove the driving force and longevity that films such as Parts 1-7 (might even include 8 here), like em or not, clearly possess.

Simple: Count the number of unlikable douchebags in the old slashers. Even characters that have one scene and then die. And compare that to the newer slashers. Plus they had legitimate build up. It wasn't just about gore. It was the build up to the gore that made it special.

This film, they just introduce assholes and we watch them die 2 minutes later. And hey, lets not give the killer a real motive like say Axel in My Bloody Valentine. No, he's just insane and wants revenge against no one in particular... Like Home Sweet Home (1981). Even beter, give the killer a mask and make him do the Michael Myers head tilt in every other scene.

The whole movie just offended me with it's stupidity, catering, and waste of talent.

LOL, Home Sweet Home is ridiculous... I commend the mime character mistake. But yeah, it falters. An interesting example of a everyone's-a-dick film is Slaughter High from 1986. Like I said... everybody is a dick. But if you look carefully, Munro feels for Marty when the gag goes wrong, a number of people feel bad, and its playfulness overcomes this. I will say that not everyone in Silent Night was a dick. I liked the boyfriend of the new-Linnea, sort of... It just... no personality and boring will ceal the nail in the coffin unless you're just looking for nudes and blood...

And if you are... well, enjoy.

Alex K.
12-07-2012, 12:46 AM
An interesting example of a everyone's-a-dick film is Slaughter High from 1986. Like I said... everybody is a dick. But if you look carefully, Munro feels for Marty when the gag goes wrong, a number of people feel bad, and its playfulness overcomes this. I will say that not everyone in Silent Night was a dick. I liked the boyfriend of the new-Linnea, sort of... It just... no personality and boring will ceal the nail in the coffin unless you're just looking for nudes and blood...

And if you are... well, enjoy.

I was just about to make that comparison. Silent Night and the "nu-wave" of horror with few exceptions very much come off like Slaughter High. No one is likable and it's so by the numbers it lacks a soul. The only reason Slaughter High has any kind of following is because of gore hounds/Slasher die hards and "So bad it's good!" faux hipster enthusiasts. You pretty much hit the nail on the head there. Pieces works not just because of it's "So bad it's good!" aesthetic but it actually had some honest-to-god style to it's credit.

Body Boy
12-07-2012, 02:39 AM
Err, I wouldn't go that generalized with Slaughter High man. I like it because of Munro, the weird out-of-place music, the Jester costume and its tone. Though it's partially a slasher comedy with dark streaks, it's one of the only 1986 slashers to have that, uh... what do you call it... there's THAT, you know, atmosphere that exists up until 1985, and then disappears. Maybe you know what I'm talking about. It's compelling to watch slashers up until 1985 and see the jump in tone and visual style in the 1986 and onward. But SH doesn't fall into its grouping. Not sure what it is. One day, I'll find out.

But I genuinely like Slaughter High. That said, there is plenty that I'd change about it if I could, and I wouldn't grant it anything beyond 3 / 5 stars. Even that's a bit generous.

Ian Jane
12-07-2012, 10:14 AM
See, I thought Hell Night kinda sucked. I didn't like the characters much at all. I guess, as far as screen time goes, okay - they got more of that than the fodder in Silent Night (and note that I'm not claiming the characters in Silent Night were anything more than fodder for the killer, the lack of character development is a big strike against the movie) but I really don't think there was a whole lot of depth to any of them. In terms of good character development in slasher movies, honestly I think it's a rarity. Halloween definitely pulls it off, the original Black Christmas too albiet to a lesser extent. But most of them really don't do much in that regard.

Obviously if someone wants more than tits and blood out of a slasher movie, more often than not they'll be disappointed. I have, of course, absolutely no problem with people trying to do more than that with the genre but I'm with Jason, usually if I put on a low budget slasher movie I know what to expect and I put it on for that reason: light entertainment, a few scares (if I'm lucky) and some boobs and blood. Trying to get this back on topic, Silent Night gave me that and I guess because that's what I went in expecting, it wasn't disappointing to me.

Jason C
12-07-2012, 10:37 AM

I don't watch a lot of newer slashers so I'm not qualified to compare. I'm still making my way through the golden era. That said, characters that have one scene and die, or are douchebags are common in 80's slashers. It's been awhile since I've seen the original SILENT NIGHT DEADLY NIGHT, but aren't there are a few in that film? I don't remember much character development for Linnea Quigley and her boyfriend. But I do remember her being hung on the wall.

As luck would have it, I watched DON'T OPEN TIL CHRISTMAS last night. The body count is high and just about all of them are one scene and die characters. Most of the Santas have less than 2 minutes of screen time. Not only that, but the script is an incoherent mess. I was hating the film for the first 30 minutes but, as the bodies piled up, the gore gags got better, and a hottie walked around topless for an extended period of time, I started to warm up to the film. It's a terrible but I enjoyed it and can see myself revisiting it years from now.

To be fair, the night before I watched THE FANTASIST. It's more a thriller with some slasher elements. The body count is small but the strength of the film is its engaging characters and tense situations. I enjoyed it immensely.

From your perspective maybe. I'm always curious about what "turn your brain off" movies really means. This applies to most super hero flicks, comedies, and genre films alike.

I guess it's because I have a difference from a lot of people. A handful have this mindset to "watch Jason violently kill stupid teens and watch some titties!" I am opposed to this and when this comes out so obviously in a slasher film, I can't stop my eyes from rolling into the back of my head. I'm just praying some lame death metal doesn't come on to hardcore (not really) it up. When I watch a slasher, while I'm expecting cool death scenes, at the same time in a strange contradictory way, I'm watching people who I don't want to die. I don't like rooting for the killer like in the F13 remake (the first group and one person near the end is an exception; one of the few things it actually did wonderfully) and I could care less about nudity for thrills. Nudity works in shower scenes or sex scenes, or hell, even Lana in F13 V A New Beginning when it's so quirky that it works... but unless it's done for quirks, I don't want winking at the camera from filmmakers who award films 10/10 for ripping somebody's spinal cord out with a hook from their asshole because it's AWESOME THERJHDJBJBS!!!

My two cents. Who am I kidding, actually? Those were a few dimes.

You're not alone, but I can't imagine how someone with this mindset can consider themselves a slasher fan. From your perspective you must feel like you are wading through a sea of garbage just to find a handful of jems. Most slashers are cheap, derivative crap. I like the gems but I also enjoy the crap. In some cases, the closer they follow the formula the better.

I work hard during the day and have kids to raise when I get home. Most nights after the kids are in bed I'm ready for some simple fun to unwind with. There are occasions where I want to sit down and be sucked into a riveting tale full of substance. But more often than not, I just want Sonny Chiba kicking some guy in the face or some masked killer knocking off annoying kids. Oh, and boobs.

See, I thought Hell Night kinda sucked. I didn't like the characters much at all.

Agreed. I did not care for HELL NIGHT.

Alex K.
12-07-2012, 02:48 PM
I don't watch a lot of newer slashers so I'm not qualified to compare. I'm still making my way through the golden era. That said, characters that have one scene and die, or are douchebags are common in 80's slashers. It's been awhile since I've seen the original SILENT NIGHT DEADLY NIGHT, but aren't there are a few in that film? I don't remember much character development for Linnea Quigley and her boyfriend. But I do remember her being hung on the wall.

The difference is that Silent Night Deadly Night is largely from the perspective of the killer. So there are characters being built up through Ricky and Mother Superior and we the audience get to see that pay off.

Body Boy
12-07-2012, 07:41 PM
You're not alone, but I can't imagine how someone with this mindset can consider themselves a slasher fan. From your perspective you must feel like you are wading through a sea of garbage just to find a handful of jems. Most slashers are cheap, derivative crap. I like the gems but I also enjoy the crap. In some cases, the closer they follow the formula the better.

Well see, for me, it's not about the plot or intricate storyline. There has to be a happy medium. I don't find most slashers from the 70s or 80s cheap, derivative crap. Cheesy films like Bloody Moon, Pieces, Nightmares, and so forth still bring with them a style that I can point out and appreciate. Dark character studies like Silent Night Deadly Night, Maniac, Nightmare, and so on take a different approach, but mix the essential ingredients within keep it in place. I think that films like the original Friday the 13th is a masterpiece. There is something for me to love in Humongous, Hell Night, Madhouse, Prom Night, My Bloody Valentine, Sleepaway Camp, Just Before Dawn, Slaughter High, Hide and Go Shriek, Graduation Day, Blood Beat, Midnight, Rituals, Chopping Mall, Girls Nite Out, The Fan, Blood Rage, Fatal Games, Ghost Dance, Don't Open Till Christmas, Hands of the Ripper, Silent Madness, Unhinged, Sweet Sixteen, Srigala, Terror on Tour, and more. People can call them crap all they like, and while there may be something in them that people find repelling, I can find merit, care or comfort in.

Films I dislike very much like Terror At Tenkiller, Goodnight God Bless, Hollywood's New Blood, Phobia, Shadows Run Black, Open House, Hollow Gate, Fatal Pulse, and more, which I feel simply point the camera and shoot, unable to grasp fluidity and spark in favor of story are problematic. A lot of people criticize slashers for not having strong stories and being too simplistic, and while these disliked films are not heavy at all in this, that is their main goal rather than atmosphere.

"Most slashers are cheap, derivative crap." <--- Replace slashers with films, and you're right. But like I've said, what you consider crap I may actually be able to see something in. Just like how some people see something in Silent Night, and I think that it might be ok to watch once every 8 years or so.

Andrew Monroe
12-08-2012, 01:09 PM
I saw SILENT NIGHT...I didn't care for it. It's all cynicism and black humor with nothing else going on. Lamely tries to re-do the catatonic grandpa wakes up and starts talking scene from the original - with a teen (that we met 5 seconds prior) instead of a kid! Epic Fail.

Gary Banks
12-14-2012, 08:52 PM
This started out okay but after the first 45 minutes this became a real disappointment. Sort of like getting a fruitcake for Xmas. Pffft.

bgart13
12-14-2012, 09:18 PM
...I like fruitcake...