PDA

View Full Version : The Official Mondo Macabro Thread

Jared A.
04-13-2012, 01:32 PM
I hope this is OK with the Mods, but I thought I'd start this thread as a place for general MM announcements and whatnot.
Here's the lastest blog post about what is and what isn't OOP: http://mondomacabrodvd.blogspot.com/2012/04/mmoop.html
Several titles that aren't on that list have been hard to find of late. This should be changing soon. My personal fave title SILIP has been gone for awhile from most places and has started garnering stupid prices from collector vultures, but it's back on Amazon now and should be at Diabolik very soon. If anyone has any trouble finding any MM DVD post it here and I'll try and sort it out best I can.

Ian Jane
04-13-2012, 01:37 PM
I hope this is OK with the Mods

It's all good.

Jack J
04-13-2012, 09:30 PM
It's all god.

It sure is, brother Ian. MM is God! :rock:

I do however wish they'd put out more wild films from Indonesia, the Philippines and Turkey!

Jared A.
04-13-2012, 09:56 PM
I do however wish they'd put out more wild films from Indonesia, the Philippines and Turkey!

Did you see Pete's comment on the latest blog post Jack? A dude asked if they were going to do any more Turkish movies and he said:

We'd love to do more but, sadly, unrealistic expectations from "rights holders" and lack of decent materials makes that increasingly unlikely.

Sad. But there is one that I've seen recently that I'd love to find out if it's available and see if I can't get both side to agree to put it out. But I'm not gonna get my hopes up.
I'm guessing it's a similar situation with the Indonesian and Filipino films. When THE frickin' WARRIOR doesn't sell worth crap, what are you gonna do? I guess there still working on SNAKE SISTERS, but I've stopped asking about it. I keep hoping I'll get something about it in my inbox. Still waiting ...

Jack J
04-13-2012, 10:10 PM
I hadn't seen his comment but I'm not surprised. The story I keep repeating is how I asked Pete (on Cinehound) if they would release THE WARRIOR sequels (#2-5) and he said yes if the first one sold enough. Well, you know what happened. :(

Robin Bougie
04-14-2012, 05:13 AM
I agree. Their indonesian films are my fave, although THE WARRIOR wasn't the one I got excited about... I like the trashier stuff like LADY TERMINATOR and VIRGINS FROM HELL. So goddamn good.

Robin Bougie
04-14-2012, 05:18 AM
Speaking of Indonesian films: Would love to see them put out some of Arizal's films, like RAMBU, FINAL SCORE, LETHAL HUNTER etc etc

"He hunted bad guys and killed them! He was a lethal hunter."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io-p9xU8vJE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M7I2EWVPh0

These movies need to be seen by more people. Mike Abbot rules!

Ian Jane
04-14-2012, 09:22 AM
I'd be all over a decent DVD release of Rambu, no questions asked. Sadly, yeah, if the stuff isn't selling, it doesn't make good business sense for them to stay at it. Which leaves who? Nobody else really touches this stuff. So we're left with bootlegs, imports or torrents if we want to see it - which doesn't benefit the rights holders at all and means we won't wind up with nicely restored stuff like we have from labels like MM in the past.

paul h.
04-14-2012, 02:05 PM
"MOD discs/legit downloads" could be the answer.

Jack J
04-15-2012, 05:24 PM
"MOD discs/legit downloads" could be the answer.

Maybe not. As it is, video companies lose money because their films get ripped and uploaded to illegal torrent sites 5 minutes after they're released. But at least the old-fashioned fans, who prefer to own a real release, are still gonna buy the DVD releases. If there were only legal downloads (and no DVD's) I'm sure there would still be illegal downloads as well. And a lot of the fans who would have bought the DVD's are probably gonna go for the illegal downloads. And why? Because they didn't buy the DVD's because they were law abiding citizens but simply because they preferred the DVD's. In other words, the labels are going to save on manufacturing DVD's but they're also going to lose money on the legal downloads. That's a theory anyway.

PS: and I agree with Robin and I highly recommend checking out those two trailers if you guys haven't already. That's wild cinema!

Jared A.
04-24-2012, 11:43 PM
Read an exclusive excerpt from Andrew (SEARCH FOR WENG WENG) Leavold's upcoming book about his adventures in Philippines at the MM blog: http://mondomacabrodvd.blogspot.com/2012/04/exclusive-excerpt-from-andrew-leavolds.html

Jared A.
05-10-2012, 03:53 PM
http://mondomacabrodvd.blogspot.com/2012/05/70-classic-korean-films-on-youtube.html

Jared A.
05-14-2012, 06:02 PM
New blog post: Robin Bougie on VIRGINS FROM HELL, which is also on sale this month for only $12.49! http://mondomacabrodvd.blogspot.com/2012/05/mondo-macabro-back-catalog-spotlight.html?zx=a3bda268d7b23b46

Jared A.
06-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Announcing the next MM DVD, an obscure South African thriller called THE SHADOWED MIND! Another film you didn't even know you wanted to see!
http://mondomacabrodvd.blogspot.com/2012/06/coming-soon-from-mondo-macabro.html

Dom D
06-07-2012, 10:42 PM
"Takes place in a privare clinic for the sexually disturbed". Love it.

Ian Jane
06-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Never heard of this one before, but that blog entry does make it sound pretty rad.

Hooray for newly discovered potential cult gems!

BrianS
06-08-2012, 05:09 PM
I don't think they've touch Africa before have they? If it's from Mondo Macabro, it's worth taking a chance on it.

Ian Jane
06-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Wasn't Snake Dancer African?

BrianS
06-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Oh, yeah. You're right.

Randy G
06-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Sounds awesome, the few South African exploitation films I've seen have been pretty cool and I've come to trust MM's taste on unknown material.

Jack J
06-09-2012, 08:07 PM
I think I've only seen one South African film but then again it was THE STICK, a creepy horror/war film that is highly recommended!
http://trashy-filipino-war-movies.blogspot.dk/search/label/Stick%3B%20the%20%28South%20Africa%29

Paul L
06-10-2012, 05:05 AM
I think I've only seen one South African film but then again it was THE STICK, a creepy horror/war film that is highly recommended!
http://trashy-filipino-war-movies.blogspot.dk/search/label/Stick%3B%20the%20%28South%20Africa%29
I've never seen The Stick but that link has me intrigued, Jack. Take for the tip :)

Paul L
06-10-2012, 05:07 AM
Sounds awesome, the few South African exploitation films I've seen have been pretty cool and I've come to trust MM's taste on unknown material.
Agreed. I'd blind buy anything MM puts out that I haven't seen before.

Jack J
06-10-2012, 05:18 AM
You're welcome. :cool:

Randy G
06-10-2012, 10:50 PM
THE STICK does sound cool, thanks Jack.

Jared A.
06-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Latest at the MM blog is a "video essay" by Arabic film expert Robert J. Kiss all about the Queen of Egyptian exploitation cinema, Nadia ul-Gindy! This stuff looks so wild! Do me a solid and check it out if you would.

http://mondomacabrodvd.blogspot.com/2012/06/nadia-ul-gindy-egyptian-cinemas-queen.html

Ian Jane
06-21-2012, 09:15 AM
Some of those clips are killer... crazy stuff.

Jared A.
10-31-2012, 02:27 PM
Hey Gang!
You may have noticed that MM has been pretty quiet since the release of COUNTESS PERVERSE back in the summer. I just wanted to reassure everyone that they are still in business and still have some amazing stuff in the pipeline. There are changes in store, which I can't talk about right now, but 2013 will see some great new releases like HOW TO SEDUCE A VIRGIN and THE SHADOWED MIND as well as some other awesome things, some of which you've heard of, some of which you probably haven't! Stay tuned!

Ian Jane
10-31-2012, 03:05 PM
Awesome. Please update us when you're able.

Jared A.
11-28-2012, 07:26 PM
To hold you over until MM returns next year, I've started a new blog for them on Tumblr. Just images, screen-grabs and ad-art and what-not. Check it out! If you're a Tumblr-er, please follow and re-blog as you see fit!
http://mondomacabrodvd.tumblr.com/

Jared A.
01-16-2013, 08:18 PM
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/187/edenandafter.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26/edenandafter.jpg/)

Ian Jane
01-16-2013, 08:22 PM
My jpeg file reading skills tell me that's from Eden And After?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067040/

Jared A.
01-16-2013, 08:33 PM
:up:

Ian Jane
01-16-2013, 08:43 PM
Any ETA on this or the next Franco?

Apronikoff
01-16-2013, 09:34 PM
Eden and After?

Two words:

1) Fuck
2) Yeah

Jared A.
01-16-2013, 11:07 PM
Any ETA on this or the next Franco?

Still working out details with CAV, apparently. The Franco will be the first thing, most likely.

Ian Jane
01-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Thanks. Please update us when you're able.

edkrak
01-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Amazing news! One of the most important films not available in English language. I saw it in cinema few years ago, but I need it on my shelf too.

Scott
01-17-2013, 11:06 AM
This is up on youtube for the curious .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy-53UmoLL0

Wllm Clys
01-17-2013, 12:08 PM
Glad I haven't watched my lousy 700MB rip of 'Eden et après' yet :)

Randy G
01-18-2013, 12:31 AM
Great! Wanted to see this for a while.

Jared A.
01-18-2013, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the enthusiasm, guys! Posting the same thing at another forum, and nobody gave a FUUUUUUUUCK.
Proper announcement soon. It'll be a good one.

Paul L
01-18-2013, 06:30 PM
Robbe-Grillet's EDEN AND AFTER? Nice! :)

Richard--W
01-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Yes, more Robbe-Grillet please.

Mondo Macabro has become a favorite label. Based on previously released DVD's I don't hesitate to buy a MM sight unseen and before the reviews. I know the transfers are going to be right. Keep the films and the news coming.

Richard--W
01-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Jared, can you tell us the date when Franco's HOW TO SEDUCE A VIRGIN (Plaisir à trois) will be released?

We're all waiting ....

Jared A.
01-19-2013, 04:16 PM
Hey Richard, no date yet on HOW TO SEDUCE. MM are still working things out with CAV. As soon as I know something, it will get posted here.

Richard--W
06-29-2013, 10:34 PM
What was the last DVD released by Mondo Macabro and when?

Would it be The Girl in Room 2A on March 27, 2012 and Countess Perverse on June 12, 2012? It's been over a year since they've released a film. They announced only one new DVD in the past year, Franco's How To Seduce a Virgin, but no date has been set. It has failed to materialize.

Isn't it fair to say that Mondo Macabro appears to be done & finished as a DVD distributor? Aren't they operating only as an online back-catalog company until the inventory sells out?

I'm reminded of what happened to Casa Negra.

bgart13
06-29-2013, 10:56 PM
They were set to release a few Robbe-Grillet movies, but then those slipped away at the last minute when the owners decided to go with another company that offered more money. I don't certainly don't think of MM as being done, not at all.

Geten
06-30-2013, 03:20 AM
Richard: The Shadowed Mind (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096082/)was also announced if I'm not mistaken.

Scorpion
06-30-2013, 03:28 AM
I believe they switched distributors , hence why they haven't released anything in awhile.

Lalala76
06-30-2013, 05:23 AM
I hope they still do continue. The transfer on Countess Perverse was one of the best I've ever seen. Whether MM themselves undertook that transfer I cant remember but still was excellent. I think though that they need to move with the times and consider Blu-ray. But obviously that's expensive and they don't sound like a company that has a lot of money to throw at the format, which is a shame as the could become more like ARROW films in UK.

Richard--W
06-30-2013, 08:27 PM
I agree their transfers are among the best. Lorna the Exorcist and Countess Perverse are outstanding transfers, better than most blu-rays.

But a company that loses its distribution deals and doesn't release a DVD in over a year isn't really in business. This is beginning to look more and more like what happened to Casa Negra.

Jared A.
07-01-2013, 06:51 PM
As far as I know, Mondo Macabro is still in business. In addition to changes in distribution, there were element problems with several things that they had lined up which are still being ironed out. They are knee-deep in trying to get several original productions off the ground. They are trying to release extremely niche titles in shrinking market that's begun to be devoured by a small number of larger companies. And there are things going on that I am not at liberty to discuss.

They will be releasing HOW TO SEDUCE and THE SNAKE GOD late this year/early the next. Wait for announcements. Or, they may not be released. Anything can happen in this business. 6 months ago I was ready to say that Grindhouse were probably dead and gone and yet here they are, back in the game with at least one new release. Patience is a virtue in the world of the Home Video Cult.

Wllm Clys
07-02-2013, 03:22 AM
I hope they survive! I may not like all of their output, but some of their films are all time favourites over here. Good luck to them!

Jared A.
07-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Not a new release announcement, alas, but here's an update and a query from Pete Tombs ...

DON'T PANIC ... !

We’re just updating our website. There’ll be a fair few changes over the next few weeks.

In the meantime, the best place to check in for info or ask any questions will be here.

Several titles will be going out of print soon as licenses expire and we will list all those in the next update.

A quick question – we’ve a number of titles that are about to run out of stock that we’d like to keep on catalog, as we get requests for them from time to time. However the sales numbers are really too low for it to be economical for us to repress them in large quantities.

We’d liked to know what you think about us offering some of these as “on demand” titles. That’s to say, burned rather than pressed. The covers, red boxes, disc labels etc would be as before, but we’d be offering these at a lower price, of course.

Before we make any decisions, we’d like to know what you think. Would you rather these titles went entirely out of print or would you prefer us to continue offering them as burns for a limited time?

We don’t have a list of titles at present, but Born of Fire and maybe the third Bollywood horror release would be among them. Right now we’d just like to know what you think. Thanks for your response!

Pete

Jared A.
07-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Come on guys, let your voices be heard! What do you think? DVD-Rs, or no?

Lalala76
07-23-2013, 10:15 AM
In the meantime, the best place to check in for info or ask any questions will be here.

Btw When it says "here" its a reference to the MondoMacabro BlogSpot

http://mondomacabrodvd.blogspot.co.uk/?zx=d289eef434da710f

Jared A.
07-23-2013, 07:27 PM
The facebook page too. https://www.facebook.com/mondomacabrodvd
TUMBLR, as well. http://mondomacabrodvd.tumblr.com/
Or this thread. All news posted on those sites will be posted here too.

Marshall Crist
07-23-2013, 07:58 PM

He seems to be talking about keeping back catalog "in print" as opposed to releasing new titles as DVD-Rs. As such, I have no interest because I either want a title and buy it when it comes out, or pass altogther.

Jared A.
07-23-2013, 08:42 PM
He seems to be talking about keeping back catalog "in print" as opposed to releasing new titles as DVD-Rs.

Yes, this is exactly what he's talking about. There will be no new titles released as DVD-Rs. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Marshall Crist
07-23-2013, 08:57 PM
Yes, this is exactly what he's talking about. There will be no new titles released as DVD-Rs. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

From a business standpoint, I don't see a downside.

Jared A.
07-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Yeah, I agree. It's not the best option, but it might be the most realistic one for the current market.

Jared A.
07-28-2013, 03:38 PM
Preorder for HOW TO SEDUCE is up at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E68LUFQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00E68LUFQ&linkCode=as2&tag=cinema09-20

Dom D
07-28-2013, 05:59 PM

No! I for one don't want more discs. Digital downloads. If I could press a button and get Mondo Macabro titles downloaded onto my computer within 10 minutes at a slightly reduced rate then I would own a hell of a lot more of them. Why not do this? Piss easy to set up and that way MM don't have to burn DVDrs and post them out. Just set up the page and forget about it. All sorts of benefits to this. For instance whenever your trailer is embedded on a web page, any web page, it can finish on a button that says "buy now". Push the button, enter your credit card details and boom, now a new customer has the movie and Mondo has their money. Too easy!

As someone who far, far prefers my media centre (which while dirt cheap and built on a laptop I was going to throw away and freeware is awesome) to my DVD player and I'm sick of having to clog my home up with discs. Give me an .AVI! Now having completed this rant I'm sure- Murphys Law being what it is- that someone will point out that MM already offers digital downloads but even given that I'll let it stand for the other labels and sheer bloody mindedness.

Lalala76
07-28-2013, 07:14 PM
No! I for one don't want more discs. Digital downloads. If I could press a button and get Mondo Macabro titles downloaded onto my computer within 10 minutes at a slightly reduced rate then I would own a hell of a lot more of them. Why not do this? Piss easy to set up and that way MM don't have to burn DVDrs and post them out. Just set up the page and forget about it. All sorts of benefits to this. For instance whenever your trailer is embedded on a web page, any web page, it can finish on a button that says "buy now". Push the button, enter your credit card details and boom, now a new customer has the movie and Mondo has their money. Too easy!

As someone who far, far prefers my media centre (which while dirt cheap and built on a laptop I was going to throw away and freeware is awesome) to my DVD player and I'm sick of having to clog my home up with discs. Give me an .AVI! Now having completed this rant I'm sure- Murphys Law being what it is- that someone will point out that MM already offers digital downloads but even given that I'll let it stand for the other labels and sheer bloody mindedness.

Some people actually prefer the buzz of having a "physical" product, artwork, case everything.

Alex K.
07-28-2013, 07:30 PM
I'm all for digital downloads. I'm at that point in my life that I really don't care about collectibles and all that shit. It's just more shit you don't need in the end. I would make exceptions for things that you are exceptionally passionate about. Same with every form of media for me.

Not trying to be elitist but I just care about the movie.

Horace Cordier
07-28-2013, 07:42 PM
I'm all for digital downloads. I'm at that point in my life that I really don't care about collectibles and all that shit. It's just more shit you don't need in the end. I would make exceptions for things that you are exceptionally passionate about. Same with every form of media for me.

Not trying to be elitist but I just care about the movie.

Me too. And that's why I'm not doing downloads. Crappy compression on streaming is bad enough but paying for a download that I'm going to have to back up and waste memory space on isn't all that attractive either. Also I don't think people realize that a HUGE amount of potential customers don't have the requisite hardware to download film files.

But by all means do both. I just think completely dumping the physical model is very stupid.

Ignatius
07-29-2013, 12:57 AM
I would imagine that offering downloads is a bit of a minefield for companies. There's a good chance that the bandwidth required to offer files of a reasonable quality isn't cheap. Add to that the issue of whether to add DRM to digital copies. Leaving it off is to supply people with files that can go straight to torrent sites, while adding it means paying for the implementation and dealing with people who are pissed off by DRM.

I added a comment to say that I'm not a fan of burned discs, but will deal with it if re-pressing certain titles isn't financially viable. Better something than nothing. And I kind of consider downloads to be nothing. I'm not a fan of paying for stuff that I could lose thanks to a hard drive crash.

edkrak
07-29-2013, 05:34 AM
Also I don't think people realize that a HUGE amount of potential customers don't have the requisite hardware to download film files.

Huh, what?
What hardware other than a computer with internet connection do you need to download files?

Paul L
07-29-2013, 09:18 AM
I know we live in a digital world, but I like a physical product. I understand the convenience of digital files, but given the choice between a digital file and a 'hard copy', I'll go for the 'hard copy' every time. I don't 'do' digital downloads (or ebooks, etc), unless there's no other way of getting my hands on the title in question.

On top of this, I hate having to deal with file compatibility issues, and my Internet connection is naff :biggrin:

Huh, what?
What hardware other than a computer with internet connection do you need to download files?
But in truth, not everyone has this at home. Plus unless you're willing to watch off a computer screen (not my bag, you hep cat :biggrin:), you need the hardware to stream/play the file on your television.

For example, I often buy copies of releases by 'boutique' labels to give as presents to my parents, who never in a month of Sundays would download a digital copy of a film.

Ignatius
07-29-2013, 10:02 AM
Huh, what?

A decent internet connection for one. Slow speeds and restrictive caps are a reality in many places. For a feature length film you're looking at a 1.5GB file minimum if you want good compression (particularly if you want to put it on a USB stick and play it on your TV) and if you have a 20GB/month cap then it just isn't worth it.

edkrak
07-29-2013, 01:28 PM
Ok, I made an assumption (maybe a wrong one) that if people can afford to pay 20$ per movie, they can as well pay 20-30$ a month for a decent internet connection (at least that's the price in Poland for good speeds without restrictions).
Edit: But I guess that if you're living in a village/small city there might be not a single good provider, haven't thought of that.

Jared A.
07-29-2013, 06:19 PM
Pete Tombs sez ... (via MM FB page):

Up next will be The Snake God (do we have a thing about snakes??). It's an Italian film from 1970. First ever US release.

Not news on this board, but I thought it would be good to hear from straight from the horse's mouth!

Scott
07-29-2013, 09:35 PM
Huh, what?

Yeah I don't get that. It's one thing to have a preference for physical copies but don't try and make it sound like it's still 1998. Downloading movies is a completely viable option these days. The sky isn't falling.

You know how many movies and television shows I've seen because my only option was to download them? You don't need any special doohickeys, just burn it to a dvd. I prefer physical copies too but c'mon.

Horace Cordier
07-29-2013, 10:34 PM
Yeah I don't get that. It's one thing to have a preference for physical copies but don't try and make it sound like it's still 1998. Downloading movies is a completely viable option these days. The sky isn't falling.

You know how many movies and television shows I've seen because my only option was to download them? You don't need any special doohickeys, just burn it to a dvd. I prefer physical copies too but c'mon.

Sorry - I'm in a big city and have average tech ability. Even my wifi and Internet connectivity goes weak sometimes and while I have a pretty good computer I find burning discs a pain in the ass.

I'm just not going to do it. I'll stream if I have to and I'll buy physical copies. But hell, I get annoyed when I have to wait for iTunes to download those stupid ultraviolet digital copies for my iPad.

And I highly doubt I'm alone.

Marshall Crist
07-29-2013, 11:48 PM
And I highly doubt I'm alone.

No, it's a colossal pain in the cock.

Jimmy Simard
07-29-2013, 11:49 PM
O
Edit: But I guess that if you're living in a village/small city there might be not a single good provider, haven't thought of that.
I live in the seventh biggest city of our province (population of more than 158,000 in 2011) certainly not a village and I pay 43$/month for a good connection with a 25 Go limits. No way in hell I would waste that to download a movies just to watch something highly compressed on my computer screen.

PS: All the big internet providers are here and yes we have those cheap no cap limit company, but between getting no cap or getting a good costumer service the choice is easy for me: I take the good service from someone who knows what he talks about and can correct a problem fast.

Download is just not my thing... if I can hold it in my hand I don't want it.

Richard--W
07-30-2013, 02:17 AM
http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a432/Richard--W/NOimage2.jpg
to downloads.

Lalala76
07-30-2013, 04:15 AM
Listen guys. I live in the Uk and we don't have the option here to burn on demand. But what I want to say is that, having worked in music and dvd retail for many years (I don't now) I have seen the rise and decline of many forms of the physical product. I don't want to sound a dinosaur here, but todays generation of kids expect to be able to download their music and have no desire for the physical cd and because of this cd sales have dropped to an all time low, and are near the verge of extinction.
Obviously over the years, this has happened several times ie vinyl to tape, tape to cd etc, but there always has been a physical product. My argument is that, the industry will respond to customer demand and trends. So, If downloading films becomes the norm, and I'm not talking illegally here, I mean commercially then we are on one big slippery slope to the demise of the physical product for films. Many of you wont care, but I personally don't want to see this happen like it has with music.
Many of you are concerned with the preservation of film for historys sake, well I champion the preservation of the physical product too. Im not talking dvd/blu/vhs specifically here as the format will always change but I would hate to see there being nothing but the option to soullessly download a film and that's all. Can you really imagine a world where there are no music or dvd stores on the high street, because that's the way it is going. Support these businesses and opt for physical products. The retail store may be almost history. And hypocritically so, I play a part in this too with ordering online. But my argument is for the physical product and I don't want to see this disappear, because it will.

Just sharing an opinion.

Paul L
07-30-2013, 07:52 AM
Support these businesses and opt for physical products.
Aye!

Jared A.
07-30-2013, 05:46 PM
This is a great discussion, but I want to make it clear (in case it isn't) that MM have no plans for downloadable releases. The only thing under discussion that I know of is burn-on-demand DVDs, and that only for a small number of titles whose stock have now sold out, but which they still have a current license for.

But thank you all for your great feedback!

Lalala76
07-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Just out of interest but has mondo ever considered Blu-ray.

Jimmy Simard
07-30-2013, 06:13 PM
The only thing I can suggest if they go DVD-R for some OOP title: Write it on the front cover.

I haven't bought a single DVD from SWV since they had gone in this direction, not because I'm against that (I don't like it but I can live with it) but because we don't know if we will get a real pressed DVD or a DVD-R.

Dom D
07-30-2013, 06:37 PM
Hey I wasn't saying replace DVDs with downloads. The question was do we want DVDrs. I don't think anyone does. On the other hand a lot of people will want downloads so why not offer them as well? What's the problem that's getting everyone so excited.

I would imagine that offering downloads is a bit of a minefield for companies. There's a good chance that the bandwidth required to offer files of a reasonable quality isn't cheap. Add to that the issue of whether to add DRM to digital copies. Leaving it off is to supply people with files that can go straight to torrent sites, while adding it means paying for the implementation and dealing with people who are pissed off by DRM.

I added a comment to say that I'm not a fan of burned discs, but will deal with it if re-pressing certain titles isn't financially viable. Better something than nothing. And I kind of consider downloads to be nothing. I'm not a fan of paying for stuff that I could lose thanks to a hard drive crash.

DRm is a strength of downloads. DVD DRM was cracked within a couple of hours of being released. Now you stick the disc in your drive, rip it with one of 200 different programs that can do the job and upload away. I'm moderately tech savvy (and have access to a lot more gear and software than most) and have not have been able to crack some downloads because there are thousands of different types of encryption. You generally cant just download a program that does it. Anyway DRM is a strength.

As for bandwidth, a company like MM would not be using their own bandwidth. They could upload it once to a server and forget about it. You can get a pretty great looking picture from about 2-3gbs using xVid encryption (in my opinion) so not too terrifying to download for most.

Again not saying replace DVDs (though in a few years it will) just saying add it on top for those of us who don't want to wait weeks for postage, pay for more plastic we don't want and prefer the incredible convenience of a media centre. The file will last a lot longer than a DVDr too.

Lalala76
07-30-2013, 06:42 PM
If I was In the US Id rather have a dvdr with artwork in yes a plastic box than downloading.

Dom D
07-30-2013, 06:46 PM
If I was In the US Id rather have a dvdr with artwork in yes a plastic box than downloading.

No doubt most here would. Th collectors instinct is strong here but I don't really know any people in the real world (as oppossed to those I know through the internet) who still buy or rent DVDs. There's a reason something like a third of the internets traffic is netflix.

Lalala76
07-30-2013, 06:51 PM
That's because sites like Netflix and downloading have killed dead the rental market and is killing the retail market now, cant you see. Its nothing personal with anyone, but it gets me really frustrated as I can see it happening and once it has gone its nothing more than nostalgia.

And how can you say nobody is buying dvds in the real world? that baffles me.

Jimmy Simard
07-30-2013, 07:14 PM
And how can you say nobody is buying dvds in the real world? that baffles me.
Yeah that comment was kind of strange... I sure see the the stores who sell DVD/BR here always full when I go there, the problem isn't that nobody buy DVD the problem is that people buy new blockbuster releases because it's the only things in the store. Most of the people I know in real life don't buy online and certainly don't download their movies (legally or not).

Jared A.
07-30-2013, 08:39 PM
Just out of interest but has mondo ever considered Blu-ray.

Yes, they have. Had they done the Alain Robbe-Grillet at least two of those would have been BD releases. They are open to using the format in the future, but it would have to be a title whose sales potential would warrant the costly venture. Sadly, neither the of the two confirmed upcoming titles fall under that rubric.
Purely as a fan, I would love to see them go blu, heck I even tried to convince Pete to release HOW TO SEDUCE as a BD! But I'd hate to see them sink a bunch of money into the format, not sell enough copies, and to have that pull them under.

Scott
07-31-2013, 12:57 AM
Hey I wasn't saying replace DVDs with downloads. The question was do we want DVDrs. I don't think anyone does. On the other hand a lot of people will want downloads so why not offer them as well? What's the problem that's getting everyone so excited.

Tough crowd here. No one's coming to take anyone's dvd's away! Jumpin' Jesus Christ!

More options means just that, more options!

I came to the realization I have too much crap. Too much plastic. I fight the collector mentality even though it continues to drive me. I really don't want to end up like a crazy cat lady on hoarders. And some "collectors" are just that, hoarders. No one is more of a fan for owning a disc than the guy who sees a movie on late night tv. The guy who goes to the library to read a book is just as much a fan as the guy who buys every book as soon as it's published. Uhg, elitism in fandom is a surefire way to take the fun out of a hobby. No one OWNS any of these movies, we own a copy. A plastic disc is just a container the same way a hard drive is a container.

I bet most of us have dvd/bluray/vhs collections that are in the thousands. That shit's crazy. It's ok to just watch and like something without the need to own a copy of it. I have most of the "classic" movies I want but I also have a lot of questionable crap that if I just downloaded or streamed or saw on tv I could have saved a lot of money and a lot of space. And the experience of viewing the movie would have been exactly the same.

Roderick
07-31-2013, 01:02 AM
I came to the realization I have too much crap. Too much plastic. I fight the collector mentality even though it continues to drive me. I really don't want to end up like a crazy cat lady on hoarders. And some "collectors" are just that, hoarders. No one is more of a fan for owning a disc than the guy who sees a movie on late night tv. The guy who goes to the library to read a book is just as much a fan as the guy who buys every book as soon as it's published. Uhg, elitism in fandom is a surefire way to take the fun out of a hobby. No one OWNS any of these movies, we own a copy. A plastic disc is just a container the same way a hard drive is a container.

I bet most of us have dvd/bluray/vhs collections that are in the thousands. That shit's crazy. It's ok to just watch and like something without the need to own a copy of it. I have most of the "classic" movies I want but I also have a lot of questionable crap that if I just downloaded or streamed or saw on tv I could have saved a lot of money and a lot of space. And the experience of viewing the movie would have been exactly the same.

I feel the same way. But I haven't gotten to the point where I am able to do anything about it. I'm a slave to all my shit.

Lalala76
07-31-2013, 04:22 AM
Tough crowd here. No one's coming to take anyone's dvd's away! Jumpin' Jesus Christ!

No but Scott, there is a bigger picture here. 10 years time we may not see anything other than pc based or "smart" based accessibility to films, and to me that is just not acceptable. If the seeds are planted now then this is what will happen. Christ the seeds have already been planted and starting to grow.

Paul L
07-31-2013, 04:42 AM
No but Scott, there is a bigger picture here. 10 years time we may not see anything other than pc based or "smart" based accessibility to films, and to me that is just not acceptable.
With the concomitant effect, as you said earlier Lalala, on traditional retail. Currently, I'm supporting my local retailers as much as possible, but it's a worry as we move towards a download-oriented world, that shops will close, people will lose their jobs (e-commerce jobs tend to be highly centralised) and the traditional browsing experience will be supplanted by online 'browsing'.

Lalala76
07-31-2013, 04:43 AM
Yes, they have. Had they done the Alain Robbe-Grillet at least two of those would have been BD releases. They are open to using the format in the future, but it would have to be a title whose sales potential would warrant the costly venture. Sadly, neither the of the two confirmed upcoming titles fall under that rubric.
Purely as a fan, I would love to see them go blu, heck I even tried to convince Pete to release HOW TO SEDUCE as a BD! But I'd hate to see them sink a bunch of money into the format, not sell enough copies, and to have that pull them under.

Well at least you tried. I would have loved to have seen HOW TO SEDUCE on blu. I guess it is also down to how it is promoted. I mean look at how much interest was generated when HOT NIGHTS OF LINDA was announced on blu for Severin. I mean that Mondo could have had the first bd of HOW TO SEDUCE anywhere in the world, and promoted correctly could have been huge for them. It still probably is on dvd, but I feel lesser so because of this. But I guess you have to have the finances in place to be able to do this and its still a gamble. Im just grateful that we will have it finally, and officially and ......ahem....... not a download :up:

Lalala76
07-31-2013, 06:55 AM
that shops will close, people will lose their jobs

Well count 3 times and that's my tally for how many times its happened to me. MVC, Music zone and HMV.

Paul L
07-31-2013, 06:57 AM
Well count 3 times and that's my tally for how many times its happened to me. MVC, Music zone and HMV.
Many local music/video shops have closed near me over the past ten or fifteen years (several independents, Virgin, Andy's Records. Luckily, we've still got our HMV - but how long for?)

Lalala76
07-31-2013, 02:12 PM
Maybe this has been posted already but some screengrabs for HOW TO SEDUCE dvd

http://robertmonell.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/how-to-seduce-virgin-mondo-macabro-dvd.html?zx=372b0a4d894bd1c7

Ignatius
08-01-2013, 07:58 AM
Anyone know whether the Stephen Thrower intro is new or the same one from their releases of 'Lorna' and 'Sinner'. No complaints if it's recycled but any new stuff from Thrower always gets me extra excited. His intros on the Video Nasties box set were what taught me how to watch a Franco film.

Jared A.
08-01-2013, 10:23 AM
I don't know for certain, but I'm willing to wager that's a new piece on PLASIR recorded at the same time as his COUNTESS intro.

Ignatius
08-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Awesome. Thanks Jared!

Richard--W
08-13-2013, 12:22 AM
Jared, why not draw Mondo Macabro's attention to the peculair, strange, weird, odd and inexplicable French films of Mario Mercier? who was written up by Pete Toombs in Immoral Tales. There is no official release of a Mario Mercier film. So there is no competition, either, for Mondo Macabro. I want to see his films.

edkrak
08-13-2013, 02:32 AM
There is no official release of a Mario Mercier film. So there is no competition, either, for Mondo Macabro.

What about this DVD?
http://www.amazon.com/movies-tv/dp/B00007G1XY

Ian Jane
08-13-2013, 09:18 AM
A Woman Possessed is a GREAT movie. That DVD could stand to be upgraded though.

Jared A.
08-13-2013, 10:31 AM
Jared, why not draw Mondo Macabro's attention to the peculair, strange, weird, odd and inexplicable French films of Mario Mercier? who was written up by Pete Toombs in Immoral Tales. There is no official release of a Mario Mercier film. So there is no competition, either, for Mondo Macabro. I want to see his films.

I do too! I'm a huge fan of Mercier. And don't think for a second that MM have not looked into these. They are big fans as well. In an interview done several years ago, Tombs talked about how EROTIC WITCHCRAFT was the "one that got away", i.e., they had done the deal and signed the papers but could not get access to materials for obscure legal reasons. And as another person pointed out, WOMAN POSSESSED was released by Pathfinder some years ago. Sadly, it's kind of a botched release. The A/V ain't bad but the subtitles are horrendous. They don't make any sense whatsoever. There are fan-subtitled editions out there, if you look in the right places. Alas, that is probably all we'll get. Same old story: for an obscure movie like this, the market couldn't really bear another release. I hope that changes someday, but for now ...

Marshall Crist
08-13-2013, 11:39 AM
I love A WOMAN POSSESSED and would happily gobble up a better release. That fact alone makes this a financial kiss of death.

Jared A.
08-15-2013, 08:07 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/p480x480/1176115_498376606922065_1078388892_n.jpg

Barry M
08-15-2013, 08:49 PM
That's a nice cover.

Snaked.

Marshall Crist
08-15-2013, 09:01 PM
Honestly not sure whether to be excited about this. Hope to know more soon.

Jared A.
08-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Here's a review from IMDB:

While vacationing in the Caribbean with her husband, a young Italian woman meets a female native(after she first spies on the woman having wild sex on a deserted beach). The two of them share in each other's culture, respectively going lingerie shopping and engaging in some frenzied, naked tribal dancing. Eventually they exchange lovers, except that her new black friend neglects to mention that HER "lover" is actually a fearsome snake god!

This one of the earliest example of a type of Italian film that might be called "black sexploitation". It shouldn't be confused with American "blacksploitation" because it's audience was no doubt mostly white and much more interested in various permutations of interracial sex (white men-black women, black men-white women, black women-white women) than they were in seeing bad-*ss urban black guys stick it to the man. These films may seem a little racist, not only in the strange thrill they seem to get from interracial sex, but in the way they inevitably equate black with primitive. In their defense though, these films are almost all about the more "primitive" blacks in unsettled areas of the Third World and are not supposed a comment on African Americans or European blacks.

This film is significantly more tame than most of these films like "Black Emanuelle" or the ones the likes of Joe D'Amato were making at the end of the 70's--i.e. "Papaya of the Caribbean" or the descriptively titled "Black Orgasm". It features the lovely Nadia Cassini, who of all the many, many beautiful Italian actresses from the the great golden era of Italian exploitation (aka the 1970's) is probably the one that has received the least English-language exposure. She played a villainess in Luigi Cozzi's ridiculous, no-budget "Star Wars" rip-off "Starcrash", but other that she was mostly famous for a string of low-budget Italian sex comedies that even I haven't seen. This movie isn't available in English right now, unfortunately, but, trust me, it doesn't matter all that much.

Recommended to anyone looking for some politically incorrect, Italian-language fun.

More info will come after it gets a street date.

Jared A.
08-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Here's the first 15 minutes, untranslated, on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stxlKzkfZug

Richard--W
08-16-2013, 05:06 AM
The Snake God looks like fun. I'll buy it, probably.

I do too! I'm a huge fan of Mercier. And don't think for a second that MM have not looked into these. They are big fans as well. In an interview done several years ago, Tombs talked about how EROTIC WITCHCRAFT was the "one that got away", i.e., they had done the deal and signed the papers but could not get access to materials for obscure legal reasons. And as another person pointed out, WOMAN POSSESSED was released by Pathfinder some years ago. Sadly, it's kind of a botched release. The A/V ain't bad but the subtitles are horrendous. They don't make any sense whatsoever. There are fan-subtitled editions out there, if you look in the right places. Alas, that is probably all we'll get. Same old story: for an obscure movie like this, the market couldn't really bear another release. I hope that changes someday, but for now ...

So it's hopeless? Why not suggest they try again. Ask different sources.

I wonder why there aren't any French DVD's of his films.

Ian Jane
09-19-2013, 10:46 AM
Amazon now has a pre-order page up for The Snake God coming 12/10/13. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FA3QHYU/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00FA3QHYU&linkCode=as2&tag=cognitrespon-20)

Smegma
09-19-2013, 01:29 PM
No but Scott, there is a bigger picture here. 10 years time we may not see anything other than pc based or "smart" based accessibility to films, and to me that is just not acceptable. If the seeds are planted now then this is what will happen. Christ the seeds have already been planted and starting to grow.

I have a simple philosophy - No Disc = No Sale. Never purchase a digital product, be it a book, film, or album. Never - Not Even Once.

Andrew Monroe
09-20-2013, 08:00 AM
Man, I cannot fucking wait for THE SNAKE GOD...Beryl Cunningham and Nadia Cassini? GOLD. I've been curious about this one for a long time, the Augusto Martelli soundtrack is absolutely killer (I'm sure at least a cut or two will be familiar to many as they've been on various compilations for years). "Beryl's Tune" is one in particular that has made the rounds, fantastic piece of music.

Jared A.
09-25-2013, 06:45 PM

Scyther
09-27-2013, 06:25 PM
I'll throw my money at virtually anything with Nadia Cassini.

Ian Jane
10-31-2013, 08:37 AM
MM announced on FB that they're releasing Check To The Queen.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166789/

Andrew Monroe
10-31-2013, 10:06 AM
MM announced on FB that they're releasing Check To The Queen.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166789/

Fuck yes! That's a welcome bit of news. This is one of those "only in 1960s Italy" films, full of stylish pop art, gorgeous half naked women (namely the luscious Haydee Politoff), kinky sex, and no bullshit - one of the greatest soundtracks ever. Seriously, it's quite possibly Piero Piccioni's masterwork. I love this movie. It was directed by Pasquale Festa Campanile by the way, of HITCH-HIKE infamy. I actually had my boot out to watch again in the next few days, will hold off now for this.

http://www.ivid.it/fotogallery/imagesearch/images/scacco_alla_regina_rosanna_schiaffino_pasquale_fes ta_campanile_011_jpg_azju.jpg

The Italian title is SCACCO ALLA REGINA btw...and you know what? I dig Franco and also a lot of other MM dvds, but this will be easily my favorite release of theirs ever. So there.

Richard--W
10-31-2013, 12:16 PM
Never heard of it, but now my curiosity is piqued by Andrew's remarks.

How can Piero Piccioni's score be better than his score for Puppet On a Chain?

Lalala76
10-31-2013, 12:24 PM
Never heard of it either, but reading imdb and hearing those comments has now got my attention.

Jared A.
11-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Thanks for posting this here, Ian. My hard drive went kaput and I'm just now back online (except when I used my GF's computer to post the news on the FB site). I'm glad to see some positive reaction. Hopefully there will be more exciting news about this release very soon!

Dom D
11-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Awesome! Feels like a while since there was a release I could get excited about but this definitely sounds like exactly my sort of thing.

Robin Bougie
11-09-2013, 07:02 AM
Man, count me in the pile of people who had never heard of CHECK TO THE QUEEN. Sounds keen.

Jared A.
11-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Look for it next year under the title THE SLAVE. Which I think is the title of the book the film is based on?

Ian Jane
11-29-2013, 10:25 AM
These are all officially OOP now: (http://mondomacabrodvd.blogspot.com/2013/11/this-is-time-when-we-give-thanks-for.html?zx=a928f664c2457b31)

BOLLYWOOD HORROR (all volumes)
CLONUS
LIVING DOLL
SNAKE DANCER
MANSION OF MADNESS
CRAZY LOVE

Ignatius
11-29-2013, 05:42 PM
Damn! I only managed to get my hands on the second Bollywood Horror volume. Well...guess I'll have to keep my eyes on eBay.

Ryan K
11-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Ugh. Two of those titles have been on my wishlist for years. Is Lifespan also OOP? It's either backordered at the usual shops or going for stupid prices.

Jared A.
12-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Mondo Macabro's new DVD of THE SNAKE GOD is shipping NOW from DiabolikDVD.com! http://www.diabolikdvd.com/category/Browse-All-Titles/Snake-God-DVD-(Mondo-Macabro)-(NTSC-All-Region).html

Jared A.
12-06-2013, 09:54 PM
Ugh. Two of those titles have been on my wishlist for years. Is Lifespan also OOP? It's either backordered at the usual shops or going for stupid prices.

There are some more titles that need repressing. Some will, some may not. There will probably be a few more titles added to the OOP list.

Ian Jane
12-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Full review of Snake God soon but I have to admit, this looked a lot better than I expected it to. For some reason I figured it might be a bit ragged, but nope, it looks great.

Jared A.
12-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Can't wait to see your review, Ian! I will share it on the blog and the Facebook page once it goes live. Thanks!

Ian Jane
04-04-2014, 03:48 PM
"Here's the new cover for the previously announced THE SLAVE, a film by Pasquale Festa Campanile, director of THE LIBERTINE, WHEN WOMEN HAD TAILS and HITCH-HIKE. The cover illustration is by the incredibly talented Gilles Vranckx. Release dates and specs will be forthcoming in the next few weeks."

John Bernhard
04-04-2014, 04:42 PM
Had no idea what this was from the title, so tracked it down on IMDB.
Looks like a good one for MM.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166789/combined

John Bernhard
04-04-2014, 04:44 PM
I see there is a fan subbed telecine over at CG, guessing there is no English dub for this one?

Ian Jane
04-04-2014, 08:15 PM
No idea. They haven't finalized the release details yet.

They also just announced a 2012 film called The Devil's Business:

AND... just to put some icing on an already interesting cake... DER FAN!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwbSuahJ1AA

Jared A.
04-04-2014, 08:17 PM
I don't think there's an English dub for THE SLAVE. There isn't an official English title, I know that much.

Jared A.
04-04-2014, 08:23 PM
BTW, DEVIL'S BUSINESS will be Blu. There's a chance that THE SLAVE could be as well, they are just doing some last minute work on the master. DER FAN is DVD only for now, as they have only been given an SD master to work with. Maybe better materials will turn up?

Ian Jane
04-04-2014, 08:34 PM
Der Fan would look slicker than grease in a nice HD transfer. Glad to see MM stepping up to the Blu-ray plate with the other titles though!

Andrew Monroe
04-05-2014, 11:52 AM
The best known English title for THE SLAVE is CHECKMATE TO THE QUEEN. This one's a must if you enjoy those 1960s pop art-influenced eurocult films - add in some s&m spicing and an intriguing psychological story then top it off with a stunning Piero Piccioni score...I highly recommend this. Can't wait for it. Haydee Politoff looks absolutely gorgeous in the film.

Ian Jane
05-21-2014, 07:26 PM

Lalala76
05-22-2014, 04:36 AM
For anyone wondering, (and for my own personal benefit, so I can check backwards if necessary) The Slave will be region locked, and the Devils Business will be region free.

Andrew Monroe
05-22-2014, 07:04 AM
Was it already common knowledge that THE SLAVE is getting a blu-ray release? I damn sure wasn't aware of that, thought it was dvd only! Very nice. September is a long way off, can't wait.

fatboyslim142
05-22-2014, 07:06 AM
For anyone wondering, (and for my own personal benefit, so I can check backwards if necessary) The Slave will be region locked, and the Devils Business will be region free.

I've pre-ordered The Slave as it's limited t0 3500 copies even though I won't be able to play it as I don't have a multi region Blu-ray player yet.

I'd suggest you buy it as it's limited.

Thomas Wood
05-22-2014, 07:47 PM
I've pre-ordered The Slave as it's limited t0 3500 copies even though I won't be able to play it as I don't have a multi region Blu-ray player yet.

I'd suggest you buy it as it's limited.

3500 is limited?

Ignatius
05-22-2014, 08:05 PM
3500 is limited?

Not in the current market it isn't. Still worth buying to support MM going Blu though.

paul h.
05-22-2014, 08:47 PM
Not in the current market it isn't.

Truth. Internet killed the everything star.

Thomas Wood
05-23-2014, 07:18 PM
Not in the current market it isn't. Still worth buying to support MM going Blu though.

I agree but I just dislike trying to create a false demand. This should be available for awhile so there's no rush to order it.

Damin J. Toell
05-23-2014, 10:51 PM
I agree but I just dislike trying to create a false demand. This should be available for awhile so there's no rush to order it.

That's how companies go out of business and then their discs start selling for $200 on eBay. And everyone goes, "gee, if I had known that THIS would happen, I would've bought it right away..."

Andrew Monroe
09-12-2014, 12:15 PM
THE SLAVE is now in stock at Diabolik (http://www.diabolikdvd.com/category/Cult-Favorites/Slave-(Mondo-Macabro)-(DVD-[sl]-Blu~Ray-Combo-Pack-All-Region).html). Really excited about this one.

Lalala76
09-12-2014, 01:06 PM
Was shipped from Diabolik yesterday, will take a week or so for me being in the uk, but Looking forward to it.

Andrew Monroe
09-19-2014, 09:11 AM
Watched THE SLAVE (I still prefer the English title of CHECKMATE TO THE QUEEN, though I suppose this title is an easier sell in some ways). I had a goofy grin the whole damn time. I LOVE this film so much, it's a genuine oddity with some amazingly beautiful photography and set design (by future director Flavio Mogherini). Piccioni's score is really foregrounded here, it's a huge part of the film's impact. Plenty of kink and fetish on display, but also a surprisingly solid story and some well placed sly humor too. Haydee Politoff and Rosanna Schiaffino really go for it here, very brave performances - I sure wish someone would release a BD of Politoff's INTERRABANG at some point - and the ending is surprisingly moving and melancholy. This MM release blows my bootleg away and is easily one of my favorite releases of the year. I'll be watching this again in a few days.

It'd be nice if we could get more of director Campanile's work on disc, he's criminally underrepresented on English friendly BD/DVDs. I have a copy of THE GIRL AND THE GENERAL recorded from TCM years ago, another very interesting film of his though very different from this. And HITCHHIKE of course.

Lalala76
09-19-2014, 09:30 AM
Mine arrived this morning. Looking forward to watching it.

Ignatius
09-19-2014, 01:20 PM
Great Mondo Digital review. (http://mondo-digital.com/slave.html) It's at the top of my to-buy list now.

John Bernhard
09-19-2014, 02:18 PM
Currently under $16 at Importcds.....ka-ching :)

Lalala76
09-19-2014, 06:27 PM
So was very impressed with The Slave, not only is it a really good film with fabulous soundtrack, but MM have done a very good job indeed. Bring on the blu's!!!

Jared A.
09-19-2014, 07:20 PM
Very heartening to hear some good feedback on SLAVE. Apparently the HD master, as it was given to MM, was the usual problematic Italian transfer, but was saved by the magic of David Mackenzie.

Also, since Pete just mentioned it over on the FB page, I feel it's OK to state here that MM is currently working on bringing ALUCARDA and GIRL SLAVES OF MORGANA LE FEY to blu next year!

Marshall Crist
09-19-2014, 10:11 PM
Also, since Pete just mentioned it over on the FB page, I feel it's OK to state here that MM is currently working on bringing ALUCARDA and GIRL SLAVES OF MORGANA LE FEY to blu next year!

Oh my sweet Satan! That is unexpected and wonderful.

Jared A.
10-16-2014, 07:15 PM
Jared, would you happen to know the status of the Der Fan release? I'm crossing my fingers Pete opts to do a BD for it.

They are actively looking into a BD release of DER FAN. But we can't confirm right now, for complicated reasons. If it's possible to do, MM is going to do it. I hope to be able to make an announcement soon(ish).

Jared A.
11-17-2014, 07:26 PM

Ian Jane
11-18-2014, 09:45 AM
Some details via Twitch: (http://twitchfilm.com/2014/11/exclusive-mondo-macabro-to-bring-german-cult-thriller-der-fan-to-blu-ray-in-2015.html)

"This brand new Blu-ray will feature the original German and English audio with English subtitles, new transfer from the original negative, and an interview with director Eckhart Schmidt. Mondo Macabro only recently made the jump to Blu-ray, but their work so far has been incredible, even going back to their last few releases on DVD, so I'm really looking forward to seeing this new transfer. If American film fans have been able to see this film at all, it has been through piss-poor bootlegs for the most part, so this should be a revelatory release in more than one area. Der Fan will be available on Region A Blu-ray from Mondo Macabro in early 2015."

Dom D
11-24-2014, 09:16 PM
Is there a DVD only release of The Slave? Really don't want to pay for two discs when I'm just going to rip one and chuck them both anyway. Distributors refusal to join some of us in the 21st century is very frustrating.

Jared A.
12-02-2014, 08:05 PM
THE SLAVE is a only available as a BD/DVD combo. Should this edition sell out, MM might put it out again as DVD only release. We are going in a similar route with THE FAN as well, it looks like. There will be an ultra limited red case BD (500 copies) sold exclusively through the Mondo Macabro website, then a limited (1500-2000 piece) BD/DVD combo sold widely through CAV. After these are sold out, we will do an unlimited DVD only.

Not sure if this is how we "join" you in the "21st century", but we are trying our best to make these films available in the best presentation possible, as affordable as possible. There's still a learning curve, and each new release is an experiment. Thanks for your feedback though, I do take it to heart.

King-Wasp
12-03-2014, 05:38 AM
Is there a DVD only release of The Slave? Really don't want to pay for two discs when I'm just going to rip one and chuck them both anyway. Distributors refusal to join some of us in the 21st century is very frustrating.

Getting on board with the 21st century is embracing the BD format, not duping a DVD. Just sayin'.

Dom D
12-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Getting on board with the 21st century is embracing the BD format, not duping a DVD. Just sayin'.

If I had both, which is a silly position to be in to start with, I would rip the bluray. I'd just prefer to have the option to not pay royalties to sony for the BluRay. Anyoway rather than deerailing this thread again I've started this thread to make my point: http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/showthread.php?9143-Doms-download-manifesto-thread&p=102501#post102501

Dom D
12-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Not sure if this is how we "join" you in the "21st century", but we are trying our best to make these films available in the best presentation possible, as affordable as possible. There's still a learning curve, and each new release is an experiment. Thanks for your feedback though, I do take it to heart.

Thanks! Honestly, after soul searching I can't bring myself to order two discs I'm just going to chuck and I'm a very faithful MM customer who preordered Seven Women For Satan and Alucarda back in the day.

Jared A.
12-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Thanks! Honestly, after soul searching I can't bring myself to order two discs I'm just going to chuck and I'm a very faithful MM customer who preordered Seven Women For Satan and Alucarda back in the day.

Well, we will be releasing a single disc BD red case edition of THE FAN concurrent with the widely available combo pack. What do you think?

Jared A.
12-17-2014, 08:47 PM
Some news about MM in 2015 ...
MONDO 2015

Just a few things to look forward to in the new year.

THE ONLINE STORE
First off, we are setting up a new online store that will supply backlist but also lots of new, exclusive offers.

Watch this space for more info as it becomes available. The first of the new lines will be red box releases of Blu Rays, starting with The Fan in February.

This will be limited to 500 numbered copies. We’ll be giving more details later when we have them.

The Fan will also be available as a retail Blu Ray/DVD combo on March 10th, a few weeks after the red box version goes on the website.

Later in the year there’ll be a red box exclusive of Girl Slaves of Morgana le Fay. This will be limited to 666 numbered copies and will have a totally different sleeve design from the DVD release.

More info when we have it.

NEW TITLES
Other new titles for 2015 include The Spider (Zirneklis), an amazing sex/horror film from Latvia. Yup, you read that right – LATVIA! It’s a really great film that we think will surprise a lot of people.

We’re also going Greek with a new line of Hellenic exploitation goodies.

The first two releases will be Tango of Perversion and The Wife Killer.

Tango is a really great exploitation gem from 1973. It’s got everything that you would expect from that vintage: masses of politically incorrect behaviour, dollops of sleaze, naked scenes galore, drugs, voyeurism, necrophilia, even a little bit of Greek psych-rock. In fact… is there anything this film hasn’t got?

The Wife Killer – the Greek title was the much less queasy Crime in Kavouri – was originally released in the US in 1976 as Rape Killer. We’ll probably avoid that title for obvious reasons…

The film is very close in style to the Italian giallo thrillers of the 70s and is another Hellenic exploitation gem. It has the same male lead as Tango – the wonderful Larry Daniels, known to his mother as Lakis Komninos and still active in Greek film and theatre to this day.

All three of the above will be brand new telecines and in the case of the Greek films, in English and Greek language dubs.

Burn, Baby Burn!

Finally, we’ll be putting out a very limited number of backlist titles as burns. This is just to satisfy the small trickle of orders we get for titles that are about to run out of license. More info on actual titles when they are available. But these will be very small numbers, less than 100. Once they’re gone, they’re gone.

That’s it, folks! Have happy hols and see you in 2015. Thanks for all your interest and support and please let us know your thoughts or comments on any of the above. We’re here to listen.

Rakesh R.
12-18-2014, 03:49 PM
Wow, those are some great titles you have for 2015! I will definitely pick up "The Fan" and "Girl Slaves of Morgana le Fay" on blu ray and those Greek titles on dvd sound quite interesting. I hope "Zirneklis" makes it to blu ray. It's a really bizarre, unique, and beautiful movie. I think it's awesome.

willpak
12-25-2014, 01:54 PM
Thumbs up for Tango of Perversion, it's good sleazy fun.

Jared A.
03-31-2015, 04:32 PM
For that special international-weird-movie-lover in your life!

https://images.bigcartel.com/bigcartel/product_images/155418562/max_h-1000+max_w-1000/Whitetee2a.png

I know there are some long-time MM fans here in this forum, just thought you guys would like to know about this. Limited to less than 150 shirts.

http://mondomacabro.bigcartel.com/product/mondo-macabro-logo-t

Tom Clark
08-18-2015, 07:00 PM
Nice interview with Pete Tombs via Dangerous Minds (http://dangerousminds.net/comments/uncovering_the_wildest_and_strangest_films_in_the_ world)

Ian Jane
08-21-2015, 09:04 AM
From FB:

"BAD NEWS, EVERYBODY As of now our proposed blu ray release of ALUCARDA is on indefinite hiatus. All usable elements for this film seem to have been lost. While we will never entirely give up the chase on this one – and if you know of any pristine film prints please get in contact here or at our webstore – we are currently at a complete loss. Many apologies to all the fans who have been so anxious for this release. Believe it, we are just as bummed as you."

Jack J
08-21-2015, 09:25 AM
That sucks! I love the film. Well, at least we have a perfect DVD release from them (they've already upgraded it once, the reg. 1 DVD looks heaps better than their original UK DVD).

On a slightly different note; I love MM to bits but I must admit I'm not too impressed by the way the run their blog. They post something every two months and leave it floating for the rest of the time. Every post gets 50 porn spam links that are allowed to stay on the blog. I commented on it a while back but got no response. Someone else asked about their releases and got no response either. If they don't wish to spend time on removing Indian porn spam or reply to fans I suggest they close the comments box.

Jared A.
09-05-2015, 02:13 PM
Hi Jack, you know you can always address any thought you have directly to me, as we have long been friendly, and you know I run MM's social media stuff. But in answer to your queries, we basically don't use that blog anymore. Every once in awhile if we have a longer text piece to share we'll use that as a platform to link to, but that's it. For now, the FB page is the best place to get new info. We are working on getting a new website by sometime early next year. One where the blog and the usual catalog stuff are integrated.

Thanks for letting me know about the runaway porn links. Wasn't a problem the last time I checked the site, but it's been many months since I looked at it. I'll go in and clean it up.

Jack J
07-01-2016, 09:41 PM
Hi Jack, you know you can always address any thought you have directly to me, as we have long been friendly, and you know I run MM's social media stuff. But in answer to your queries, we basically don't use that blog anymore. Every once in awhile if we have a longer text piece to share we'll use that as a platform to link to, but that's it. For now, the FB page is the best place to get new info. We are working on getting a new website by sometime early next year. One where the blog and the usual catalog stuff are integrated.

Thanks for letting me know about the runaway porn links. Wasn't a problem the last time I checked the site, but it's been many months since I looked at it. I'll go in and clean it up.

You posted your reply at a time when I was off the internetz for a few months. When I finally saw it I just couldn't muster up the enthusiasm to do a reply. What would I say anyway. Defend myself? Criticise MM even more? I simply wasn't interested. The thing is, on these message boards we've always talked about these films and the labels that put them out. Even when forum members were part of the labels. That's the way it went on over at dvdmaniacs and that's the way it goes on in fb groups. And that's basically what I did here. We talk openly about these things, the positive stuff - and the criticism when it's there. It wasn't personal, it wasn't directed towards you.

Having said that, I guess I was frustrated by the fact that the blog was being maintained so badly (porm spam en masse being left to stay, and questions not being commented on). I was frustrated because MM was one of my fave labels. Should I have taken it to PM? Maybe I should have. I see your point. I was too abrasive. Sorry, buddy.

Fundi
01-05-2017, 11:28 PM
hey Jared A. I loved Night Has A Thousand Desires, fantastic transfer of a really beautifully shot Franco film. I am so glad to see a later period Franco film appear on Blu ray. I also just a couple days ago got 2 more MM films Tango of Perversion and Wife Killer, and those 2 were great as well. It was too bad they could not be on Blu Ray, but it's not so important, they still looked good on DVD, and the important thing is that they were released in as good an edition as possible. I hope you can release some more Jess Franco stuff in the future, especially his 80's action films I've heard of, but never seen due to them never being released on DVD here in the United States. I still have to get Medousa, that one sounds so weird that I have to see it. But I have loved every MM movie I've bought, they are so strange, just the way I like my movies, weird and entertaining.

King-Wasp
01-06-2017, 01:05 AM
I know it's not currently in the cards, but what I wouldn't give for a BD upgrade of Don't Deliver Us From Evil.

Fundi
01-07-2017, 12:08 AM
I sometimes wish MM would rerelease some of their DVD's to blu ray, but then I'm also glad they aren't a company that goes back to their past and just rereleases stuff over and over, and I'm glad they seek out new stuff constantly and release it to blu ray and DVD, rather than just rerelease stuff, it's better to get new stuff than to have a rerelease of a DVD that looks great already. I mean I do wish they were on blu ray, but I mean Diabolical Dr. Z looks pretty great, why rerelease it when they could release something great like The Night has 1000 Desires.

Randy G
01-07-2017, 01:56 AM
ALUCARDA is one of my faves of all time and I would probably double dip for it on blu but I agree I'd rather have something new than something already released on a good quality DVD.

Matt H.
01-07-2017, 04:00 PM
I sometimes wish MM would rerelease some of their DVD's to blu ray, but then I'm also glad they aren't a company that goes back to their past and just rereleases stuff over and over, and I'm glad they seek out new stuff constantly and release it to blu ray and DVD, rather than just rerelease stuff, it's better to get new stuff than to have a rerelease of a DVD that looks great already. I mean I do wish they were on blu ray, but I mean Diabolical Dr. Z looks pretty great, why rerelease it when they could release something great like The Night has 1000 Desires.

I agree, Fundi. I still think of Bluray as a fine wine; a treat that I try not to overindulge in. The majority of my collection is DVD and I'm happy keeping it that way. I'm of the opinion that the more HD you watch, the more likely it'll render DVDs unwatchable (or at least unsatisfying) and I don't want to get to that point; many people talk as if DVDs are worthless now, and I think perhaps they've just gotten too accustomed to HD. Unless I win the lottery, there's no way I'm replacing my entire collection with Bluray. I've also realized that it's kinda pointless to upgrade a DVD of a title that I've already seen 10 times; if I get the Bluray edition, I'll probably watch it once, say to myself: "Wow, that looks better" and than put it up on the shelf for 5 years and move on to the next film.

Dark Horse 77
01-07-2017, 04:18 PM
I agree, Fundi. I still think of Bluray as a fine wine; a treat that I try not to overindulge in. The majority of my collection is DVD and I'm happy keeping it that way. I'm of the opinion that the more HD you watch, the more likely it'll render DVDs unwatchable (or at least unsatisfying) and I don't want to get to that point; many people talk as if DVDs are worthless now, and I think perhaps they've just gotten too accustomed to HD. Unless I win the lottery, there's no way I'm replacing my entire collection with Bluray. I've also realized that it's kinda pointless to upgrade a DVD of a title that I've already seen 10 times; if I get the Bluray edition, I'll probably watch it once, say to myself: "Wow, that looks better" and than put it up on the shelf for 5 years and move on to the next film.

I completely agree with you. I've got way too many DVDs to start rebuying everything. Unfortunately, Mondo will be releasing most everything in Blu Ray only in the future. I contacted them and they confirmed this to me in email. Sad, but true.

enandalusiskhund
01-08-2017, 09:18 AM
Many films look okay on DVD to me. I try to only upgrade when the DVD I own is bad, or if it's a favourite film. When I buy films I don't own I of course choose BD every time, why shouldn't I? MM going blu only is not surprising.

John Bernhard
01-08-2017, 11:10 AM
I'm of the opinion that the more HD you watch, the more likely it'll render DVDs unwatchable (or at least unsatisfying)
and I don't want to get to that point; many people talk as if DVDs are worthless now, and I think perhaps they've just gotten too accustomed to HD.

The more HD I watch, the more critical I become of sub standard Blus, & sources that should exist only on DVD.
I watch DVD's all the time, and recently broke out my VHS player to watch a tape I just bought ( a movie only available on VHS ).
When a Blu is good quality, I am in heaven. But lousy ones instill a financial frustration in me I never experienced in collecting home video til now.

There are some who fit your description to a tee though, they'll only watch Blu, never touch a DVD, god forbid anything with lower resolution.
They also like anything with a slip cover, and buy every release from a certain publisher.

More than ever, these days it's about he film, and not the medium.

Mark C.
01-09-2017, 04:17 AM
The more HD I watch, the more critical I become of sub standard Blus, & sources that should exist only on DVD.
I watch DVD's all the time, and recently broke out my VHS player to watch a tape I just bought ( a movie only available on VHS ).
When a Blu is good quality, I am in heaven. But lousy ones instill a financial frustration in me I never experienced in collecting home video til now.

There are some who fit your description to a tee though, they'll only watch Blu, never touch a DVD, god forbid anything with lower resolution.
They also like anything with a slip cover, and buy every release from a certain publisher.

More than ever, these days it's about he film, and not the medium.

The FB collector pages are full of people like that. I still buy more dvd's than blu-rays, as a guy who's collected thousands of VHS back in the day, DVD (still for me anyway) is a great format.

Lorne Marshall
01-12-2017, 05:20 AM
I don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll just briefly say I agree with those who don't think a movie should be shunned because it isn't in the absolute best (Blu-ray or 4K Ultra HD) format. Matt's post was especially well-stated.

Just curious, John, what was the movie?

Lorne Marshall
01-12-2017, 05:25 AM
I still have to get Medousa, that one sounds so weird that I have to see it.

I liked it. It was a fairly quiet little horror/mystery, with a pretty stunning ending. In my experience, Mondo Macabro rarely disappoints.