PDA

View Full Version : Society

Dom D
04-26-2012, 06:18 PM
Where has this film been all my life? It was on the Time Out Top 100 list and I had never so much as heard of it. Which after seeing it seems hard to believe. Makes me wonder what else I'm missing out on.

Awesome 80s fun. Plays kind of like a mix of Heathers, Videodrome and Beetlegeuse. There's a couple of moments I could have done without at the end but the filmmakers were really walking a tight rope with tone all the way through and I can't blame them too much for the occassional misstep. Really quite disgusting in a pretty fun, unique way.

Any other fans of this one?

Paul L
04-26-2012, 06:43 PM
I've loved this film since it's release on UK VHS. It's a brilliantly clever, subversive film.

Here's the introduction that Mark Cousins recorded for the film's screening on Moviedrome in the late 1990s: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr5dJaeP5Dk

Ian Jane
04-26-2012, 07:29 PM
One of Yuzna's finest moments to be sure. I bet this would look good in HD. Great use of practical effects.

Shawn Francis
04-26-2012, 09:15 PM
If everything is going as I suspect Yuzna is working with Synapse for a new release. I suspect it'll be a DVD/Blu-Ray combo. Don't expect it anytime soon, Yuzna JUST got the U.S. rights back in January.

Alex K.
04-26-2012, 11:34 PM
I'm watching it because of the Time Out list as well. Shockingly good film especially considering it's by Yuzna who's never done a legitimately good film before. This is one of those films you could cite as an example of the genre being as deep and meaningful as you want to take it.

Paul L
04-27-2012, 06:15 AM
I'd love to see this in HD. Alex, I agree that it's strange that Yuzna has never made another film that approaches SOCIETY in terms of content or quality.

I was always struck by how strange it was the over here, we got the uncut version of the film; whilst the US received a censored cut of the movie, didn't it? I guess the BBFC saw the satire in the picture and treated it leniently because of that. I remember the anticipation before SOCIETY was released over here, and the expectation - given the information about the film published in genre mags - that the BBFC would tear it to shreds.

Randy G
04-28-2012, 04:31 AM
I remember this being one of the better horror films of the late 80s, would love to see a nice BR release of it.

sukebanboy
06-13-2012, 12:10 PM
LOVED this one at the time of release...havent watched it again as I feel it may spoil the memory.....definitely one of YUZNAS finest moments....

Ian Jane
09-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Second Sight, who have got an amazing line up happening, just announced that they're bringing this one to DVD and Blu-ray soon. Preliminary cover art...

Apronikoff
09-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Never seen this one, but that cover is freaking sweet. Definitely does its job in selling me on picking up the disc...

Ian Jane
09-04-2012, 09:07 AM
The last fifteen minutes or so are insane, some of Yuzna's best work and some fantastic effects.

This'll definitely benefit from a good HD transfer.

Randy G
09-05-2012, 04:42 AM
I so hope that is the cover they go with, it's great.

Ian Jane
01-17-2014, 04:18 PM
Extras for the release are going to be:

- New Audio Commentary with Director Brian Yuzna
- ‘Governor Of Society’ with Brian Yuzna
- ‘The Masters Of The Hunt’ with stars Billy Warlock, Devin Devasquez,(pictured) Ben Meyerson And Tim Bartell
- ‘The Champions Of The Shunt’ with FX Artists Screaming Mad George, David Grasso and Nick Benson
- Screaming Mad George music video

sukebanboy
01-18-2014, 06:34 AM
Extras for the release are going to be:

- ‘Governor Of Society’ with Brian Yuzna
- ‘The Masters Of The Hunt’ with stars Billy Warlock, Devin Devasquez,(pictured) Ben Meyerson And Tim Bartell
- ‘The Champions Of The Shunt’ with FX Artists Screaming Mad George, David Grasso and Nick Benson

Apart from teh commentary...are all the other extras newly made??...Or ported over from an earlier release??

Wernski
01-18-2014, 06:42 AM
All new.

sukebanboy
01-18-2014, 07:13 AM
SOLD!!:biggrin:

Paul L
01-18-2014, 09:24 AM
The German Blu-ray from Capelight is pretty good. I was pleased with it. I'm guessing this'll use the same transfer. Regardless, I'll buy this one again for the extras, as it's one of my fave US horror films of the 1980s.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PQIQGzjxL._SX342_.jpg

Wernski
01-20-2014, 08:24 AM
New Audio Commentary with Director Brian Yuzna

I guess this will be a different commentary than the old one, too.

Ian Jane
02-11-2014, 09:36 AM
Second Sight just posted this on FB:

"Sadly, due to circumstances beyond our control, the release of SOCIETY has been put on hold. We will update with further news as we have it."

sukebanboy
02-11-2014, 12:01 PM
Second Sight just posted this on FB:

"Sadly, due to circumstances beyond our control, the release of SOCIETY has been put on hold. We will update with further news as we have it."

SHIT!

Ian Jane
03-04-2014, 10:37 AM
From the Second Sight FB Page:

"We thank everyone for their patience with regard to SOCIETY and can now post a statement from the Executive Producer of the film with regard to the situation;

'The owners of the film 'Society' are currently working on resolving a legal issue which has recently arisen. Unfortunately this has meant that UK distributor Second Sight Films has not been able to release the film on the date planned.'

We will of course be posting updates as soon as we receive them and are instructing Amazon to remove the title until further notice."

Horace Cordier
03-04-2014, 11:01 AM
Not good. I was waiting. Will go with the German Blu now.

Paul L
03-04-2014, 05:23 PM
The German disc looks outstanding, I really don't see Second Sight trumping that release, or even matching it- at least in terms of PQ. And for those limited in what they can play, the German release is region-free, so what's there to think about?

http://www.wicked-vision.com/bluray/kurzreview/743,Society
Agreed. I'm massively happy with the German disc. However, when the Second Sight disc materialises, with the extra features they've promised, I'll most likely pick that one up too - I'm a big fan of this film.

Wernski
03-04-2014, 11:05 PM
I really don't see Second Sight trumping that release, or even matching it

I was just assuming it would be the same transfer... you don't think it will be?

Horace Cordier
03-05-2014, 12:32 PM
Supposedly the Second Sight was going to be a 4K transfer? Not 100% sure about that though.

And on less than a 100 inch screen is it gonna matter anyway?

Ian Jane
02-12-2015, 02:22 PM
Our 2nd US/UK release for May, Society!

Pre-order the UK edition of Society here: http://bit.ly/1E4sESY (http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2F1E4sESY&h=VAQHZjSXD&enc=AZOD-YJei2iSEpQPfg6F4Uy5Weewuim4ykmI4Qu8eNmNhbUwRqxBPbx CMDeelqlFIaIYAoj9ZLdaISQ_j1XsoEvLJnTslh52tqjgrDQ_c PAk2dKr5JhhewP3dI0S-HHy5gDI3lHRK4q1OFwLByY_Ys8j&s=1)
Our North American pre-order links should be live soon!

Release Date: 18th May 2015
Region: Free
Format: Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD
Starring: Billy Warlock, Devin DeVasquez, Evan Richards
Directed by: Brian Yuzna

Synopsis: IT’S ALL ABOUT FITTING IN

After producing Stuart Gordon’s hit Re-Animator, Brian Yuzna (Bride of Re-Animator, Return of the Living Dead III) turned his hand to directing with 1989’s Society, and gave birth to one of the ickiest, most original body horror shockers of all time.

Teenager Bill Whitney (Billy Warlock) has always felt like the odd one out in his wealthy, upper-class Beverly Hills family. For some reason, he just doesn’t seem to fit in. But his sense of alienation takes a sinister turn when he overhears a surreptitious audio recording of his sister’s coming-out party, which seems to implicate his family and others in a bizarre, ritualistic orgy. And then there are the strange things he’s been seeing – glimpses of people with their bodies contorted impossibly out of shape… Is Billy going mad or is there something seriously amiss in his neighbourhood?

Packing stomach-churning grue and thought-provoking social commentary in equal measure, Society is a biting horror satire which culminates in one of the most leftfield, gag-inducing “climaxes” in all of horror history – just don’t eat beforehand!

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation
- Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Governor Of Society with Brian Yuzna
- The Masters Of The Hunt with stars Billy Warlock, Devin Devasquez, Ben Meyerson and Tim Bartell
- The Champions Of The Shunt with FX Artists Screaming Mad George, David Grasso and Nick Benson
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film, illustrated with original archive stills and posters

Dom D
02-12-2015, 04:55 PM
This film is just nowhere near as revered as it should be. I still remember watching it for the first time a few years ago, jaw on the floor, thinking 'how did you bastards keep this so quite all this time?'

Christian Bates-Hardy
02-12-2015, 05:12 PM
This film is just nowhere near as revered as it should be. I still remember watching it for the first time a few years ago, jaw on the floor, thinking 'how did you bastards keep this so quite all this time?'

I think after the US Blu release Society will finally get its comeuppance.

Paul L
02-12-2015, 06:03 PM
SOCIETY is a truly amazing horror film: it's a picture that doesn't wear its cleverness on its sleeve. I remember the anticipation that surrounded its UK release and the fact that, surprisingly, it passed through the BBFC unscathed, and then, even more surprisingly, turned up on television five or six years later completely uncut.

I bought the German Blu release from Capelight when it came out but, looking at the extras on offer on Arrow's release, will no doubt buy this release too. (I'm not sure that the film needs a 'new' commentary from Yuzna though: as I recall, the existing one is pretty good.)

Ignatius
02-12-2015, 07:11 PM
I was wondering which company this had ended up with in the UK. Looks like this'll be the edition to get. SOCIETY was part of the screening curriculum in my Film 101 course, it was great to see a bunch of completely unsuspecting 18-year-olds react to it.

Damin J. Toell
02-13-2015, 12:03 AM
SOCIETY is a truly amazing horror film: it's a picture that doesn't wear its cleverness on its sleeve. I remember the anticipation that surrounded its UK release and the fact that, surprisingly, it passed through the BBFC unscathed, and then, even more surprisingly, turned up on television five or six years later completely uncut.

When Second Sight submitted it to the BBFC last year, it got a 15 certificate, which I find bizarre.

Ian Jane
02-13-2015, 09:58 AM
The first time I saw this I went in completely blind knowing nothing about it. I think some of the imagery from this movie has been burned into my brain permanently.

This might have been the 1st Yuzna movie I ever saw.

Christian Bates-Hardy
02-23-2015, 05:17 PM
The first time I saw this I went in completely blind knowing nothing about it. I think some of the imagery from this movie has been burned into my brain permanently.

This might have been the 1st Yuzna movie I ever saw.

I showed this to my wife and a friend and didn't tell them anything about it beforehand. Didn't even let them look at the box art. They were completely blown away by it.

Keeth
03-04-2015, 08:29 PM
I saw "Society" back in my vhs trading days but I remember nothing from the film so the blu will be a definite purchase.

Paul L
06-07-2015, 03:29 PM
For anyone interested, I've written a lengthy review of the UK Blu-ray release from Arrow with some screen grabs comparing the Arrow BD with the German Capelight BD release: http://dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=3697

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq66/vitocipriani/vlcsnap-2015-06-07-00h38m06s371_zpsbi0r3j2u.png

Ian Jane
06-10-2015, 11:58 AM
So a non super deluxe BD/DVD Combo pack is coming in Sept. if you don't want to roll out for the fancy one that just streeted.

Release Date: 7th September 2015
Format: Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD
Starring: Billy Warlock, Devin DeVasquez, Evan Richards
Directed by: Brian Yuzna

Synopsis: IT IS A MATTER OF GOOD BREEDING. REALLY.

After producing Stuart Gordon’s hit Re-Animator, Brian Yuzna (Bride of Re-Animator, Return of the Living Dead III) turned his hand to directing with 1989’s Society, and gave birth to one of the ickiest, most original body horror shockers of all time.

Teenager Bill Whitney (Billy Warlock) has always felt like the odd one out in his wealthy, upper-class Beverly Hills family. For some reason, he just doesn’t seem to fit in. But his sense of alienation takes a sinister turn when he hears an audio recording of his sister’s coming-out party, which seems to implicate his family and others in a bizarre, ritualistic orgy. And then there are the strange things he’s been seeing – glimpses of people with their bodies contorted impossibly out of shape… Is Bill going mad or is there something seriously amiss in his neighborhood?

Packing stomach-churning grue and thought-provoking social commentary in equal measure, Society is a biting horror satire which culminates in one of the most gag-inducing “climaxes”’ in all
of horror history.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:

Newly remastered 2K digital transfer of the film, approved by director Brian Yuzna
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation
Original Stereo 2.0 audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Brand new audio commentary by Yuzna
Governor of Society – a brand new interview with Yuzna
The Masters of the Hunt – a brand new featurette including interviews with stars Billy Warlock, Devin DeVasquez, Ben Meyerson and Tim Bartell
The Champion of the Shunt – new featurette with FX artists Screaming Mad George, David Grasso and Nick Benson
2014 Q&A with Yuzna, recorded at Celluloid Screams Festival
Brian Yuzna in conversation backstage at the Society world premiere
‘Persecution Mania’ – Screaming Mad George music video
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly-commissioned artwork by Nick Percival
Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic Alan Jones, illustrated with original archive stills and posters

DETAILS:
Region: Free
Rating: 18
Cat No: FCD1143
Duration: 99 mins
Language: English
Subtitles: English SDH
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Audio: Stereo 2.0
Discs: 2
Colour

Ian Jane
06-16-2017, 09:41 AM
Steelbook junkies might want to be aware that a Zaavi/Arrow exclusive for this title goes on sale tomorrow.

Ian Jane
06-23-2017, 10:20 AM
Pre-order is up for the steelbook if anyone is into that.

https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/society-zavvi-exclusive-limited-edition-steelbook/11483811.html

Alex K.
06-23-2017, 01:30 PM
I should really re-watch this one.

Keeth
06-23-2017, 09:15 PM
I need to re-watch it again, as well. I first saw it on video & didn't really like it. Everything I remembered about it, I felt the same way after watching the bd. I think I'd find it more fun if there had been more grue throughout it and/or if it had a shorter running time.

Matt H.
06-23-2017, 09:59 PM
I saw this for the first time in it's R-rated version and the climax was somehow even more disturbing with all of the crazy FX cut out. My buddies and I were blown away.

Ian Jane
03-02-2018, 10:32 AM
Word is that Umbrella are releasing this on Blu-ray in April. No other details yet outside of this.

https://www.umbrellaent.com.au/coming-soon/3645-society.html

Ian Jane
03-14-2018, 09:53 AM
Word is that Umbrella are releasing this on Blu-ray in April. No other details yet outside of this.

https://www.umbrellaent.com.au/coming-soon/3645-society.html

Looks like it is DVD only.