PDA

View Full Version : Violent City On Italian Blu-ray

Ian Jane
05-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Thanks for Horamce Corduroy for pointing this out:

This is being handled by the same company that put out the Leone Blu's in Italy so it'll probably be a pretty nice looking transfer.

Details on Amazon.it here (http://www.amazon.it/Citta-Violenta-Charles-Bronson/dp/B005745N2O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337805518&sr=8-1). Looks like it's got the English audio track. No word on any other extras but it's nice to see stuff like this hitting the format even if it is in seemingly only in Europe for now. Would love to see BU put this out here (if they still have it?) but am not holding my breath.

Paul L
05-25-2012, 03:28 PM
Funnily enough, I watched this BD on Wednesday. It's been out since the end of last year, IIRC. It's by RHV and contains a nice transfer of the movie. As per the AB DVD, the English track features a couple of sequences in Italian with English subtitles.

Extras include the Italian trailer, an English trailer, an interview with Sollima and a short (2 minute) behind the scenes clip from a vintage Italian television programme. Sadly, the last two are in Italian with no subtitles.

A must buy, imo. Now, if only they'd release my fave Sollima film on Blu, REVOLVER.

Ian Jane
05-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Thanks Paul. Sounds like it's worth the upgrade then.

I'd be all over Revolver in HD too - I bet you could see the veins pop on Oliver's head in his awesome freak out scene.

Robert W
05-25-2012, 10:03 PM
I liked the film, but was let down by the ending.

Paul L
05-28-2012, 12:52 PM
I liked the film, but was let down by the ending.
Do you mean the ending of VIOLENT CITY, Robert? I quite like that quasi-silent showdown, with Jill Ireland trapped impotently in the glass lift, unable to do anything but mouth the words 'Please don't make me suffer'. The dialogue-free resolution and the similarly 'silent' opening sequence both bookend the film nicely, I've always felt.

Paul L
05-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Thanks Paul. Sounds like it's worth the upgrade then.
Definitely. I hesitated for a long while (a few months, at least), but ultimately I'm very glad I bought it, Ian.

george n
05-29-2012, 06:43 AM
I bought mine just yesterday from amazon.it along with the new italian koch br of 'bring me the head of alfredo garcia' for about 11 euros each

Robert W
05-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Do you mean the ending of VIOLENT CITY, Robert? I quite like that quasi-silent showdown, with Jill Ireland trapped impotently in the glass lift, unable to do anything but mouth the words 'Please don't make me suffer'. The dialogue-free resolution and the similarly 'silent' opening sequence both bookend the film nicely, I've always felt.

***SPOILER ALERT!****

I disliked the fact that Bronson's character committed suicide at the end. I much preferred the similar themed The Perfect Killer.

Paul L
06-01-2012, 07:14 PM
***SPOILER ALERT!****

I disliked the fact that Bronson's character committed suicide at the end. I much preferred the similar themed The Perfect Killer.
The Lee Van Cleef film? It's been years since I last saw it, but I remember it being a pretty decent picture.

Bronson's act of self-annihilation at the end of VIOLENT CITY never really bothered me, but then I'm probably a pessimist at heart :)

Robert W
06-01-2012, 09:13 PM
The Lee Van Cleef film? It's been years since I last saw it, but I remember it being a pretty decent picture.

Bronson's act of self-annihilation at the end of VIOLENT CITY never really bothered me, but then I'm probably a pessimist at heart :)

Yes, the Van Cleef flick. It has a fairly similar plot, but the ending for me was much more satisfying.

Horace Cordier
06-10-2012, 12:16 AM
I have the Italian Blu and have watched it twice in less than a week. I really love the film and RHV do stellar work with their transfers - no excessive DNR or that crazy "swarming grain" that plagues some of the BU Blu Rays. I find VIOLENT CITY to be a very underrated film - it has a neat nihilistic edge and I actually love the ending. It also has an INSANELY catchy Morricone score.

This Blu is well worth picking up.

Paul L
06-10-2012, 04:59 AM
I might rematch this again over the next couple of weeks or so. Great film that grows in my memory. Anyone know if RHV have any similar fare on their BD slate? This BD and their Fistful of Dollars were very impressive.

Clive Smith
04-02-2014, 10:46 AM
OK, I need to pick up a BD of this. But... is it the Italian disk or the new German release? Anybody know which is better?

Paul L
04-02-2014, 06:19 PM
The Italian disc is 1080i but I think the German disc is 1080p. However, reading around this on the web (I was considering upgrading from the Italian disc to the German BD), the difference seems to be negligible. The Italian disc is excellent anyway. Personally, I'd go for whichever is cheapest.

Horace Cordier
04-02-2014, 09:36 PM
1080i can be problematical but honestly the Italian Blu I have looks pretty nice on my plasma.

Clive Smith
04-03-2014, 12:15 AM
Thanks, both. I think I'll plump for the Italian in that case (I also prefer its cover art).