PDA

View Full Version : Eli Roth Announces The Green Inferno - a new cannibal movie?

Ian Jane
05-30-2012, 12:01 PM
I guess all this hanging with Tarantino is contagious, cause according to Fangoria (http://www.fangoria.com/index.php/home/all-news/1-latest-news/7160-eli-roth-harks-back-to-italian-cannibals-with-qthe-green-infernoq) Eli Roth is going to drink deep from the well of Deodato and Lenzi and make a new jungle cannibal film called The Green Inferno.

Fango quotes an earlier plot synopsis from Variety:

"THE GREEN INFERNO follows an idealistic student and a group of naive do-gooders who are captured by cannibalistic Indios after their plane crash lands in the Peruvian jungle."

Part of me thinks this will suck, because part of me just wants to dismiss Roth because he's Roth BUT I will say that the guy isn't afraid to go for the gore and has gone on record a few times expressing his admiration for the older Italian cannibal films so maybe, just maybe, he'll do something interesting here and if not, I figure he'll at least give us a gorefest set in a jungle, which defaults to at least maybe kinda cool by its very nature.

No casting news yet or any other details, really.

Clive Smith
05-30-2012, 12:26 PM
No casting news yet

Salma Hayek and Brenda Fricker.

Ian Jane
05-30-2012, 12:30 PM
I'm hoping for Rupert Grint, myself.

Scott MacDonald
05-30-2012, 12:34 PM
I have to admit, I'm looking forward to this one. I actually like Roth's movies at least at face value, and he is legitimately a fan of stuff like this, so I hope he can make something fun.

Ian Jane
05-30-2012, 12:37 PM
I really liked Cabin Fever. The Hostel films not so much. But yeah, I think you're right, his heart is probably in the right place.

Barry M
05-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Tasty tasty heart.

Salmita! I'd eat that.

Roderick
05-30-2012, 12:41 PM
I hope they at least simulate some animal cruelty.

Barry M
05-30-2012, 02:36 PM
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg138/barrymba56/harmed.png

Paul Casey
05-30-2012, 02:41 PM
Poor lil raccoon.

Barry M
05-30-2012, 02:42 PM
They should get Larry Fessenden on this project. He does great fake animal cruelty.

Scott MacDonald
05-30-2012, 03:27 PM
I didn't love the Hostels, but there were bits and pieces amongst them that I enjoyed. I found the bit with the Blackberry bidding for the American girls life in Hostel Pt. 2 more horrifying than anything violent in the film. It seemed truly plausible. Cabin Fever was just a fun throwback horror film, and I enjoyed it as such, I also have some great memories tied to it.

Alex K.
05-30-2012, 06:40 PM
The title and the concept made me smirk. It's probably going to be like Planet Terror and Hobo with a Shotgun in that it's self-aware how retarded it is. But who knows, it could be fun. If he makes something on par with Cannibal Ferox, Mountain of the Cannibal God, Zombie Holocaust, and Eaten Alive than what's the harm?

*Not trying to be a Roth Fanboy, I'm not a big fan or anything. But I think the guy deserves a chance. The one thing I consistently agree with is that the characters in his films are unlikable. Hopefully he can get over that. Because the dialog itself isn't bad. And hell, we enjoy films like Burial Ground and the characters in that film are far from likable (Michael aside).

I'm just saying. The man is a fan like us, has supported Grindhouse Releasing and getting exposure to the obscure stuff. He's helped out other filmmakers. He worked as a PA for years, including a stint with Troma which lead to a hilarious commentary for Bloodsucking Freaks. He's paid his dues. Plus he was the Bear Jew. I'm just saying, you know, just saying.

It's not like he acts like Nick Palumbo and declares himself the new god of horror and shits on anyone that disagrees with his opinion.

Tom K
05-31-2012, 12:20 PM
I think Roth is very arrogant and that always rubs me the wrong way...

I enjoyed Cabin Fever...I liked the trick he pulled in the flick that seems to get by quite a few people...

I like Hostel for the most part...the first half was kind of disappointing but around the second half, I actually started caring for the main character and started rooting for him...It was a pleasant surprise. But, I guess I didn't like it enough to bother with Hostel 2 because I have yet to see it...

But, I still think he is a poser and a name dropper. I know you're not supposed to believe everything you read on the internet, but a few years back there was a pic of him wearing a Cannibal Holocaust shirt...and apparently, he said he never seen the film until Grindhouse released it. Now, for someone who is such a hardcore horror fan that claims to be a horror savior, I would imagine he would have seen that years ago like many of us did...I dunno...

I'm not really sure a jungle cannibal flick would work in these days...I'll admit I'm curious about it, but I think many would pass on it...

Oh, I really did like his Thanksgiving Day trailer though!!

Alex K.
05-31-2012, 06:21 PM
I'm not really sure a jungle cannibal flick would work in these days...I'll admit I'm curious about it, but I think many would pass on it...

Bruno Mattei would disagree... If he was alive that is :D .

Check out Hostel 2 btw, I think it's better than the first film. Long time since I've seen you Tom since the B-headed forum went under.

Tom K
05-31-2012, 09:24 PM
Bruno Mattei would disagree... If he was alive that is :D .

Check out Hostel 2 btw, I think it's better than the first film. Long time since I've seen you Tom since the B-headed forum went under.

This is true and I was going to bring Mattei up...lol...figures you'd call me out on that!! :funny:

I do need to check out Hostel 2...I was never dead set against it, but it was not a pressing matter...

Cheers Alex! Yeah, when my life went south, I could not pay the hosting so I had to let it go...I still posted around various places, but never really found a "home" again...I got an offer to bring it back under another site (and we still have the archives) but I lost track of so many people it just wouldn't have the same feeling...

I like it here though...

Alex K.
05-31-2012, 09:42 PM
Yeah this is a great forum. Funny bumping into you here, now we just need Thoracic and Git to pop up. Haha.

To be honest: I never got an arrogant vibe from Roth. Fanboy. Yes, definitely. But arrogant not so much. Maybe I missed some bts footage showing this but otherwise I don't see it. To me the yardstick for measuring being an asshole still goes right to Nick Palumbo. I don't mean to bring that guy up, it's not like I visit the web page for that flick every day on IMDB and trash talk it. But Palumbo is honest to god the biggest and most deluded asshole I've ever encountered both online and in the Horror/Exploitation community.

The day I encounter someone who's a bigger asshole than Palumbo is the day I've truly given up on humanity.

Randy G
06-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Most directors and actors are assholes, if we only watched movies by nice people we'd have practically nothing to watch. I didn't care too much for Cabin Fever but liked Hostel and Hostel 2 was decent but not as good as the first imo.

As for this, sounds like it could be fun, almost all the Italian cannibal films are terrible anyway and getting prissy and precious about one of the most exploitative subgenres ever seems counter-intuitive to me.

Ian Jane
06-03-2012, 02:45 PM
As for this, sounds like it could be fun, almost all the Italian cannibal films are terrible anyway and getting prissy and precious about one of the most exploitative subgenres ever seems counter-intuitive to me.

This is an interesting point. I think sometimes cult movie fans (and I'm including myself here obviously) take this stuff way too seriously.

Alex K.
06-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Good point. But I think there's a difference between being an asshole on set and being an asshole to the public.

... Kinski gets a free pass though.

sukebanboy
06-10-2012, 06:41 AM
LOL at this idea....

Not sure ANYONE can make a CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST style movie in this day and age..probably LEAST of all Eli Roth..(and yes i DID see the quite Mattei "remakes" of the cannibal movie...which were...erm..."entertaining" in their own way...)

Quite liked the HOSTEL movies..more as an idea than their actual execution....but part 3 showed that it is not really difficult to recreate this style of movie....HOLOCAUST would be much more difficult....

besides, arent we all fed up of "found footage" movies already????

Ian Jane
06-10-2012, 09:38 AM
I have no problem with the found footage gimmick so long as it's done well and the story fits it.

I realize I'm probably in the minority there though.

sukebanboy
06-10-2012, 11:55 AM
I have no problem with the found footage gimmick so long as it's done well and the story fits it.

I realize I'm probably in the minority there though.

Problem is, you can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times that film makers HAVE done it well and the story fits it....same with ANY gimmick that becomes popular in movies (applicable to the use of 3-D in films these days)

...and CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST was one of the FIRST...and definintely hard to out-do THAT movie and its use of found footage...

Ian Jane
06-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Definitely. I agree that it's overused and more of a gimmick than anything else. But I still feel it can be a valid way of telling a story so long as it makes sense to use it.

I'm a sucker for the Paranormal Activity movies, for example. I know they're milking it for all its worth and that it's played out, and that there are HUGE logic gaps in the use of the 'found footage' but for me, they work. They entertain me and creep me out a bit. I have a hard time defending them outside of those comments though. I'm very aware of exactly what they are.

sukebanboy
06-10-2012, 07:38 PM
I can understand you keeping hope alive for a GOOD use of found footage in a movie, and I DO concede to you the fact that, if a talented film maker with a clear idea of how to use that idea to tell an interesting story comes along , then it is possible to make a great film with it......

.....just I highly doubt that the person to raise the bar on found footage movies is going to be Eli Roth....but you never know, he could surprise us!

Ian Jane
06-10-2012, 07:50 PM
On this last point we agree. I don't have enough faith in him to say 'he's the right choice' but I'd love to be surprised.

sukebanboy
06-13-2012, 12:06 PM
I don't have enough faith in him to say 'he's the right choice' but I'd love to be surprised.

Me too..but it is highly unlikely.....It would need to be someone new, floating under the radar to get a decent "found footage" movie out there without studio interference...or maybe someone from overseas could do it...

Alex K.
06-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Holy fuck I just thought of something:

What if Roth casts Giovanni Lombardo Radice as a Mike Logan-like character?

Ian Jane
09-19-2012, 03:50 PM
So this is still on, principal photography starts in Nov. according to Bloody Disgusting (http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3192942/eli-roths-the-green-inferno-begins-filming-when/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter).

Alex K.
09-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Couldn't be any worse than Franco's Cannibal films.

mmyersisgod
09-19-2012, 09:50 PM
I also like Roth and am excited for this!

Ehren H
09-28-2012, 01:06 PM
I really enjoyed Cabin Fever (full disclosure, I enjoyed Ti West's sequel more), and found the Hostel films entertaining in a passing way. They supplied nudity and gore, but there wasn't much else to it. Granted, there doesn't need to be necessarily, but I do find myself enjoying genre films that have some subtext and something going on under the surface.

Cannibal Holocaust and Cannibal Ferox, in particular, while absolutely exploitative DID have at least a small seed of something going on underneath the exterior. Sure, the subtext might be heavy-handed, and in some cases haphazardly thrown in, but they did have something to "say." Questions about cultural relativism, xenophobia, human nature, etc. Yeah, those are gore-heavy trash epics, but I think the reason why some of those films are considered classics is precisely because they put a little bit more effort into having some interesting ideas and concepts behind it. Personally, I don't think Roth has that in him. He will probably make a supremely gory, and most likely fantastic-looking cannibal flick in the jungle, but I sincerely doubt he will bring anything new and interesting to the table. I'll most likely see it, regardless, but I'm not expecting much. The more I talk with younger horror and cult film fans, the more I'm realizing that they think that new is automatically better somehow, and I vehemently disagree.

Ian Jane
10-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Movieline has an interesting article on The Green Inferno on their website here (http://movieline.com/2012/10/25/eli-roth-green-inferno-cannibal-holocaust-amazon/#utm_source=copypaste&utm_campaign=referral). Apparently he's using actual Amazon villagers.

"Roth tells Movieline he's taking a small crew to a remote village up the Amazon River that has "no electricity, no running water, nothing." Producers recruited many of the 200 native villagers to play extras in the horror film by screening the cult film Cannibal Holocaust. It was the first movie they'd seen in their lives, Roth remarked. "They thought it was a comedy!"

Ian Jane
10-25-2012, 04:39 PM
And by way of Bloody Disgusting (http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3200235/massive-casting-news-for-eli-roths-the-green-inferno/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter), some casting news:

"Daryl Sabara (John Carter), Kirby Bliss Blanton (Project X) and Aftershock thesps Lorenza Izzo and Ariel Levy are in negotiations to star in Eli Roth‘s horror-thriller The Green Inferno along with Aaron Burns, Magda Apanowicz and singer-actress Sky Ferreria, reports Variety.

Worldview Entertainment (Devil’s Knot) is financing and producing the Peru-set pic, which Hostel helmer Roth is directing from a script he co-wrote with Guillermo Amoedo (Aftershock).

“The story follows a naive group of student activists from New York City who travel to the remote jungles of Peru, where they plan to stage a protest, but instead encounter a tribe of cannibals.” Pic will serve as an homage to one of Roth’s favorite horror films, Ruggero Deodato’s 1980 cult pic Cannibal Holocaust."

Scott
10-31-2012, 08:34 PM
IMO I always liked JUNGLE HOLOCAUST the best. It doesn't feel trashy at all and dare I say it's probably the classiest of the cannibal movies, (dick fondling and everything) if that's at all possible. MAN FROM RIVER DEEP also has more of a story in the traditional sense. As far as the trashy ones go I think CUT AND RUN is the most fun and easily rewatchable.

But even all those have real animal deaths in them (or in the case of MOUNTAIN OF THE CANNIBAL GOD sodomizing that wild boar!). It's part of the appeal and gives it that mondo feel, right or wrong. Even the Black Emmanuel films have the real animal deaths (EMMANUEL AND THE CANNIBALS and IN BANGKOK). And those were meant to be semi-erotic! I think to fake it would miss the point, the set up of those deaths were staged to begin with. If anything they should be obviously staged, like the snake flying through the air, but real. No apologies. I dunno, it was a different time, made with Italian sensibilities. I don't see a punk American being able to do the genre justice.

That's not a knock on Roth tho, I've never seen any of his films. Not that I'm not interested just haven't got around to them.

Ian Jane
02-05-2013, 01:10 PM
Principal photography in the Amazon has been completed and Roth is in the editing stages now. Looking like a 2014 release.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3217044/the-insane-true-story-of-eli-roths-the-green-inferno-tribes-laugh-at-cannibal-holocaust/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Alex K.
02-05-2013, 08:01 PM
I just realized we now have Americans ripping off Italian rip offs...

We've come full circle.

Can't wait for a trailer.

Scott MacDonald
02-06-2013, 12:04 PM
I am ridiculously excited for this one. A trailer can't come soon enough.

Robin Bougie
02-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Should be interesting. Will check it out.

Ian Jane
02-11-2013, 10:32 AM
First image from the movie has been made available courtesy of Shock Till You Drop (http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/172337-the-first-photo-from-eli-roths-the-green-inferno).

Alex K.
02-12-2013, 02:46 AM
Reminds me of something...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JfJ4UCZfgA

sukebanboy
02-12-2013, 05:45 AM
OFFICIAL STORYLINE....

A group of student activists from New York City travel to the Amazon to protect a dying tribe, but crash in the jungle and are taken hostage by the very natives they saved.

50/50 on whether Roth can make a decent film out of this....

Alex K.
02-12-2013, 06:36 AM
A group of student activists from New York City travel to the Amazon to protect a dying tribe, but crash in the jungle and are taken hostage by the very natives they saved.

And they never came back. Are they still alive? If so, where are they?

The most brutal and savage film in modern history

RIPOUT!

BARBEQUE!

DEVOUR!

HOW LONG CAN YOU TAKE IT?

sukebanboy
02-12-2013, 10:03 AM
"You Will Get Served"

Is the tagline Roth uses when posting about this movie so far......

sukebanboy
04-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Any mroe news on this one?

Roth seems unusually quiet these days.......

Ian Jane
04-07-2013, 01:47 PM
I think it's in post now, isn't it? He did some press stuff for Hemlock Grove over the last few weeks, so he's been keeping buys. I'm far more interested in this than his TV series though.

Ian Jane
08-01-2013, 12:45 PM
This screens at Fantastic Fest this month, Fango's got some new stills online here (http://www.fangoria.com/new/new-images-eli-roths-the-green-inferno/).

sukebanboy
08-02-2013, 08:16 AM
Bring it on Eli....time to man up, show us what you got and give us a decent movie!!

Ian Jane
08-30-2013, 09:26 AM
The MPAA has just officially slapped an unsurprising R rating to Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO for its "aberrant violence and torture, grisly disturbing images, brief graphic nudity, sexual content, language and some drug use.” (http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/69973/horrifying-fairy-tale-comes-life-brand-new-ragnarok-trailer?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)

Ian Jane
09-09-2013, 08:57 AM
There's a pretty scathing review from the TIFF screening here (http://www.soundonsight.org/tiff-2013-the-green-inferno/).

I'd take it with a grain of salt, however, as that opening paragraph makes if pretty clear he doesn't have his facts straight.

Ian Jane
09-09-2013, 09:56 AM
That said, it seems Roth is already planning a sequel.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/70261/eli-roth-looking-go-beyond-green-inferno?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

sukebanboy
09-09-2013, 09:59 AM
There have also been quite a few decent reviews of it popping up on the web...

HOWEVER, lines like "This is Eli Roth at the top of his game" are a bit bafflign as , so far, he hasn't really been playing game worth playing..

http://bloody-disgusting.com/reviews/3252762/bd-review-with-the-green-inferno-eli-roth-resurrects-the-cannibal-sub-genre-in-all-its-depraved-glory/

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/review-eli-roths-green-inferno-delivers-plenty-of-sick-cannibal-kicks

Nice to see he didnt make it a FOUND FOOTAGE movie after all!!!

ALSO...seems they are already gearing up for a sequel, directed by the guy who directed Roth in AFTERSHOCK (which I havent even heard of!!!)

Tom K
09-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Fango Review (http://www.fangoria.com/new/eli-roths-the-green-inferno-tiff-movie-review/)

Ian Jane
11-01-2013, 11:27 AM
So Roth was on Leno last night.

If you go here (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/11/01/very-dramatic-first-clip-from-eli-roths-the-green-inferno-might-test-your-stomach/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter), you can see a clip of him and Leno yapping, which then segues into a clip from the movie showing us how these poor bastards wound up stuck in the jungle.

Alex K.
11-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Horror has come a long way for a director to be featured on one of the premier nightly talk shows (even though Leno is a douche).

sukebanboy
11-01-2013, 08:54 PM
He's done the late night show rounds before though right???

HEs entertaining enough (in a love-him-or-hate-him way) and he is mouthy enough(sorry, charismatic enough!!) to make him interesting to the general public..

Ian Jane
11-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Not sure if this is legit or not.... could be.

http://vimeo.com/76052600

sukebanboy
11-03-2013, 01:31 AM
Ian....thats just 2.10 of aerial shots of the Amazon jungle :biggrin:

Minus points for ROTH already.....He can't compete with Riz Orlanti's score for Cannibal Holocaust.....

Ian Jane
11-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Oh I know what it is, I'm just wondering if it is the legit opening bits or if someone just put it on Vimeo and labelled it that way. There's a fake trailer going around...

sukebanboy
11-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Oh I know what it is, I'm just wondering if it is the legit opening bits or if someone just put it on Vimeo and labelled it that way. There's a fake trailer going around...

Ah..now I get it....:biggrin:

Ian Jane
11-27-2013, 02:33 PM
Bloody Disgusting says this is coming out on Blu-ray in Germany on 2/13/14. (http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3266607/eli-roths-the-green-inferno-gets-german-home-video-release/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=eli-roths-the-green-inferno-gets-german-home-video-release)

Nolando
11-27-2013, 03:12 PM
Sweet - love Roth's stuff.

edkrak
11-27-2013, 05:39 PM
So it's gonna take a STV route? Wow, that sucks. First Eli Roth film I actually wanted to see in cinema.

Alex K.
11-27-2013, 05:57 PM
Ouch. Hope that's not indicitave of quality.

sukebanboy
11-27-2013, 10:45 PM
Only GERMANY is getting the blu ray release so early as far as I know......I think they have planned a pretty wide theatrical release for the States....

Alex K.
11-27-2013, 11:33 PM
I would guess a limited theatrical release through IFC. Maybe Lionsgate.

sukebanboy
11-28-2013, 07:05 AM
I would guess a limited theatrical release through IFC. Maybe Lionsgate.

According to BLOODY DISGUSTING

Open Road, (who passed on releasing Oculs), is taking a bite out of Eli Roth’s The Green Inferno, says THR. The distributor, who also released the Roth-produced The Last Exorcism Part 2, nabbed U.S. rights to the gory cannibal movie, which is expected to get a wide release.

edkrak
11-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Wide release... that's good. Let's hope that it comes to Europe too. So far all Roth's films were screened in cinemas in Poland.

Ian Jane
04-16-2014, 05:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b97hV9SeGQk

Alex K.
04-16-2014, 05:44 PM
Strong Cannibal Ferox vibe from this.

Alex K.
06-01-2014, 05:14 PM
New trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD59o9R93_E

Looking like a modern Cannibal Ferox.

Paul L
06-01-2014, 06:22 PM
When my father was a young boy, there was an elderly man in his village who had been a missionary in a place (New Guinea, I think) where his predecessor had been eaten by cannibals. (I guess this would have been in the 1900s/1910s.)

Ian Jane
08-08-2014, 08:48 AM
From Deadline: (http://m.deadline.com/2014/08/worldview-woes-take-eli-roth-amazon-cannibal-tale-green-inferno-off-menu/)

EXCLUSIVE: Green Inferno, the Eli Roth-directed film about student activists who travel from Gotham to save the Amazon rainforest only to be pursued by a cannibal tribe, has been taken off Open Road’s release calendar. The film was scheduled for wide release on September 5. I’m told this happened because financier Worldview Entertainment is balking at ex-CEO Christopher Woodrow’s commitment to provide the P&A.

greenSince this is Roth’s first directorial outing in six years and his budget conscious fright fare almost always scares up profits, this is almost as shocking as the subject matter and also a tasty bit of dish. I’ve confirmed from Open Road that the release date is scratched, though the distributor won’t comment further, including whether there will be a later release date or if this goes straight to video. Worldview has been going through a restructure since the abrupt and largely unexplained exit of CEO Woodrow, which Deadline revealed last June.

Ian Jane
08-21-2014, 02:53 PM
German red band trailer online here. (http://bloody-disgusting.com/videos/3309638/insanely-nsfw-green-inferno-trailer-grotesque-homage-cannibal-holocaust/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=insanely-nsfw-green-inferno-trailer-grotesque-homage-cannibal-holocaust)

DAMN.

bgart13
08-21-2014, 03:12 PM
But, will it be any good? All of his movies promised some sort of greatness, none of which have delivered (except for Thanksgiving).

Tom Clark
08-21-2014, 04:16 PM
German red band trailer online here. (http://bloody-disgusting.com/videos/3309638/insanely-nsfw-green-inferno-trailer-grotesque-homage-cannibal-holocaust/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=insanely-nsfw-green-inferno-trailer-grotesque-homage-cannibal-holocaust)

DAMN.
"TOO SLOW, TRAILER REMOVED BY REQUEST OF FILMMAKERS"

Hmmm. If its the same one with "Welcome to the Jungle" cheesily playing over it than it was on YouTube around an hour ago.

Alex K.
08-21-2014, 06:13 PM
Mirror here: http://www.abandomoviez.net/noticia.php?film=21518

Looks good.

Ian Jane
01-25-2015, 10:25 AM
Source.
(http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3329443/eli-roths-green-inferno-crash-landing-soon/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)
“As of right now, all systems are go for the theatrical release,” Roth revealed to Indiewire. “Here’s the thing: everyone is working to resolve it. Open Road has been amazing through this entire process. I really love them, they’ve been great. Even with whatever situation World View is going through, everyone is working together to find the best, cleanest, most positive resolution and get the film out in the widest release possible.”

And when might it get released? Roth exclaims, “I think realistically it would be in the August to September range.”

Ian Jane
06-01-2015, 03:12 PM
Well, it took a while but Universal is giving this a 1000 screen release on Sept. 15th.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3347340/eli-roths-the-green-inferno-is-coming/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Alex K.
06-01-2015, 06:13 PM
Still looking forward to it.

Koukol
06-02-2015, 12:36 AM
DAMN...the trailer keeps getting pulled.

Alex K.
06-18-2015, 06:26 PM
New trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggYxIMOS748

Keeth
06-18-2015, 08:42 PM
What's been the hold-up on The Green Inferno? Seems like I've been reading about it for 5 years or more.

Tom Clark
07-16-2015, 05:20 PM
Everybody look at us! We're so offended! No, seriously please give us attention, we're so lonely! (https://www.change.org/p/eli-roth-to-cancel-the-launch-of-the-dehumanizing-film-green-inferno)

I must say thought I was rather impressed how they managed not once to mention "white male privilege" or the patriarchy, two go to terms for the professionally offended. This shit just gets funnier and funnier by the day. Phony outrage at its finest.

Keeth
07-19-2015, 05:28 PM
That's pretty funny. When I went through the thread, I remember thinking there would be something about the treatment of indigenous people once the film is released. Some of the comments are amusing:

"Eli Roth took the risk of endangering these natives by exposing them to medical conditions they didn't have immunities against."

Tom Clark
07-22-2015, 01:15 PM
Its been suggested on another board that the petition could very well be a marketing ploy for the film. If so, well played. If not, well, its not exactly surprising.

sukebanboy
07-22-2015, 01:49 PM
Yeah..I smell a marketing ploy...nice one Eli.....brings back the memories of a time when small independent producers oulled interesting stunts like this..

Tom Clark
07-24-2015, 04:22 PM
Yeah its looking more and more like marketing: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/07/24/eli-roth-goes-full-gamergate-hawking-green-inferno

Plus Roth's done several recent interviews saying the characters are parodies of typical SJW types/internet activists.

Keeth
09-17-2015, 12:19 PM
I've seen the trailer for The Green Inferno on tv a few times (the first time was during the awful pilot episode of The Bastard Executioner). The petition above may be fake but I suspect some people will start complaining once the movie is in theaters. I'm hoping some will do some research & find out about Cannibal Holocaust. That will really make'em squeal!

John Bernhard
09-22-2015, 08:48 PM
Opens this weekend and is playing near me for one show Thursday night and opens @ 4 theaters Friday. It's only in Boston Thursday and Friday for a few shows, so it's really having a very limited release. I just checked on line and if I buy a ticket now it will be the first one, it's reserved seating.
Here is the info I googled as to where it's playing near me. Multi previews Thursday, and then a sharp drop off Friday and down to the 4 theaters after that ( likely for a week ).
http://thumbnails114.imagebam.com/43729/cd71e3437281661.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/cd71e3437281661) http://thumbnails114.imagebam.com/43729/918e15437281662.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/918e15437281662) http://thumbnails105.imagebam.com/43729/a79844437281663.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/a79844437281663)

Alex K.
09-22-2015, 11:42 PM
Playing nowhere near me (because of course) so I'm hoping there's a simultaneous VOD release.

John Bernhard
09-24-2015, 11:31 PM
Caught this tonight and damn if I did not have a good time at the theater.
Cannibals on the big screen 5 minutes from home, and while the movie has a few problems, overall it delivers the goods.
Far more graphic than our beloved gut munchers from the 70's & 80's and reasonably well updated for the current era.
Even a few moments of quality humor. Everything worked until the last 1/4 of the story, when there is a really dumb plot twist, that serves no purpose.
I also didn't like the ending but still overall a positive experience. The script makes a few boner moves ( for a sequel that will not be happening no doubt ),
but I like cannibal flicks and had a surprisingly good time with GREEN INFERNO.

Someone seeing this spoiler free & unfamiliar with the genre is going to have their mind warped :biggrin:

Scyther
09-25-2015, 06:07 PM
Caught this tonight and damn if I did not have a good time at the theater.
Cannibals on the big screen 5 minutes from home, and while the movie has a few problems, overall it delivers the goods.
Far more graphic than our beloved gut munchers from the 70's & 80's and reasonably well updated for the current era.
Even a few moments of quality humor. Everything worked until the last 1/4 of the story, when there is a really dumb plot twist, that serves no purpose.
I also didn't like the ending but still overall a positive experience. The script makes a few boner moves ( for a sequel that will not be happening no doubt ),
but I like cannibal flicks and had a surprisingly good time with GREEN INFERNO.

Someone seeing this spoiler free & unfamiliar with the genre is going to have their mind warped :biggrin:

Seeing it in an hour. Excited!

Andrew Monroe
09-26-2015, 02:44 PM
I enjoyed this too, more than I thought I would. Gory as hell...the goriest film I've seen in the theater in quite a while. The characters were so annoying I was rooting for the cannibals but it didn't take away from the experience any really. The weed stuff was stupid (except maybe the munchies bit) and the little end credits scene (sequel set up) was unnecessary but it's a surprisingly well done modern cannibal flick for the most part. The one thing I missed was a memorable score...this one's serviceable but not anything that sticks with you after the film.

Scyther
09-26-2015, 06:15 PM
Man, I was so pumped for this, but left thoroughly disappointed. Bad script, worse acting, not enough tension or atmosphere. Even the gore I felt was lacking.

Matt H.
10-12-2015, 01:44 PM
I enjoyed this. The best sequence begins with the plane crash and for the next 20-25 minutes I was actually pretty horrified. It includes one of the most disturbing murders I've seen in a long time. I loved how Roth was able to genuinely shock me with this brutal scene (and everyone who's seen it knows which one I'm talking about). The convincing acting (and screaming) makes the whole premise of the film scarier as well. I think Roth saw the potential in the Italian cannibal flicks (which are great, but due to often poor direction, low production value etc. are sometimes less than believable) and was able to transcend and improve upon them in certain ways. With a much bigger budget, of course.

Alex K.
10-17-2015, 01:47 PM
In sum: some very good gore. Some very lame humor. Terrible ending. Rent it, maybe? If you like Eyetalian Cannibal flicks then you'll appreciate it a little more. But it falls short of the great films of that genre.

I am tempted to do a fan-edit and tighten the pacing and cut out nearly all of the lame humor.

Newt Cox
10-17-2015, 02:04 PM
I loved it. Went in wanting some decent FX work and expecting your typical Roth humor. Got that. Plus it looked so damn good.

Alex K.
10-17-2015, 02:16 PM
What did you think of the ending? Just curious. Because it pissed me off.

Ian Jane
11-06-2015, 05:34 PM
"Universal Pictures Home Entertainment has announced the Blu-ray release of director Eli Roth's The Green Inferno, which stars Lorenza Izzo, Ariel Levy, Daryl Sabara, Kirby Bliss Blanton and Magda Apanowicz. The horror film arrives on Blu-ray on January 5, 2016."
"The Blu-ray release of The Green Inferno is presented in 1080p with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround. Special features include an audio commentary with Co-Writer/Director/Producer Eli Roth, Producer Nicolas Lopez, and stars Lorenza Izzo, Aaron Burns, Kirby Bliss Blanton, and Daryl Sabara."

Ian Jane
11-09-2015, 10:22 AM

FROM THE MIND-BLOWING IMAGINATION OF THE WRITER AND DIRECTOR WHO BROUGHT YOU HOSTEL AND CABIN FEVER

THE GREEN INFERNO
AVAILABLE ON DIGITAL HD DECEMBER 22, 2015
AND COMING TO BLU-RAY AND DVD ON JANUARY 5, 2016
FROM UNIVERSAL PICTURES HOME ENTERTAINMENT

"THE GREEN INTERNO IS LIKE A GLORIOUS THROWBACK TO THE DRIVE-IN MOVIES OF MY YOUTH: BLOODY, GRIPPING, HARD TO WATCH, BUT YOU CAN'T LOOK AWAY"
- Stephen King, @StephenKing

Universal City, California, November 9, 2015 - An international goodwill mission goes terrifyingly wrong in The Green Inferno, the highly anticipated return to classic cult horror from iconic director Eli Roth (Cabin Fever, Hostel 1&2 ), available on Digital HD December 22, 2015 and Blu-ray and DVD as well as On Demand on January 5, 2016, from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment. The Green Inferno is a gruesomely spectacular journey into the heart of darkness that will have audiences on the edge of their seats.

New York college student Justine (Lorenza Izzo) meets student activist Alejandro (Ariel Levy) when he goes on a hunger strike on behalf of underpaid janitors. Smitten, she agrees to help Alejandro undertake his next project: rescuing an Amazon village from destruction by a greedy multinational corporation. But Justine soon comes to regret her decision when their plane crashes in the Peruvian jungle and the students realize they are not alone. No good deed goes unpunished as the well-meaning students are captured by the cannibalistic tribe they came to save.

The first feature film directed by Roth since Hostel: Part II, The Green Inferno stars Lorenza Izzo (Aftershock, 'Hemlock Grove'), Ariel Levy (The Stranger, Best Worst Friends), Aaron Burns (The Stranger, Best Worst Friends) and Kirby Bliss Blanton (Project X, Candy From Strangers). The screenplay is by Eli Roth and Guillermo Amoedo (Knock Knock, Aftershock).

BLU-RAY and DVD BONUS FEATURES

Feature Commentary - With co-writer, director and producer Eli Roth, producer Nicolás López, and stars Lorenza Izzo, Aaron Burns, Kirby Bliss Blanton, and Daryl Sabara

http://uni.pictures/TheGreenInferno
https://www.facebook.com/TheGreenInferno
https://twitter.com/TheGreenInferno
#TheGreenInferno

FILMMAKERS
Cast: Lorenza Izzo, Ariel Levy, Aaron Burns, Kirby Bliss Blanton
Directed By: Eli Roth
Written By: Guillermo Amoedo, Eli Roth
Produced By: Miguel Acensio, Molly Conners, Nicolás López, Eli Roth, Christopher Woodrow
Executive Produced By: Jason Blum, Maria Cestone, Michael Joe, Sarah E. Johnson, Hoyt David Morgan
Director of Photography: Antonio Quercia
Production Designer: Marichi Palacios
Edited By: Ernesto Díaz Espinosa
Costume Design By: Elisa Hormazábel, Kama K. Royz
Music By: Manuel Riveiro
TECHNICAL INFORMATION BLU-RAY:
Street Date: January 5, 2016
Copyright: 2016 Universal Pictures Home Entertainment
Selection Number: 61131253
Layers: BD-50
Aspect Ratio: Widescreen 2.40:1
Rating: Rated R for aberrant violence and torture, grisly disturbing images, brief graphic nudity, sexual content, language and some drug use
Languages/Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French Subtitles
Sound: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, Dolby Digital 2.0
Run Time: 1 hour, 41minutes
TECHNICAL INFORMATION DVD:
Street Date: January 5, 2016
Copyright: 2016 Universal Pictures Home Entertainment
Selection Number: 61131255
Layers: Dual
Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Rating: Rated R for aberrant violence and torture, grisly disturbing images, brief graphic nudity, sexual content, language and some drug use
Languages/Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French Subtitles
Sound: Dolby Digital 5.1, , Dolby Digital 2.0
Run Time: 1 hour, 41minutes

About Universal Pictures Home Entertainment
Universal Pictures Home Entertainment (UPHE) is a unit of Universal Pictures, a division of Universal Studios (www.universalstudios.com). Universal Studios is a part of NBCUniversal, one of the world?s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks, and a suite of leading Internet-based businesses. NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.

sukebanboy
11-09-2015, 10:34 AM
Stephen King still throwing out the one liners to put on the cover of horror movies??

Gonna watch this soon...but am dreading the Roth humor spoiling this one for me.....Why he felt the need to put it in this I will never know

Barry M
11-09-2015, 11:50 AM
"THIS IS LIKE A MOVIE STEPHEN KING WATCHED (BUT NOW HE IS BLIND)" -- Steven King

Alex K.
11-09-2015, 12:06 PM
"THE GREEN INTERNO IS LIKE A GLORIOUS THROWBACK TO THE DRIVE-IN MOVIES OF MY YOUTH: BLOODY, GRIPPING, HARD TO WATCH, BUT YOU CAN'T LOOK AWAY"
- Stephen King, after taking a bong hit. @StephenKing

"HEY, REMEMBER WHEN I DIRECTED MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE AND THERE WAS A SCENE WHERE A GUY IS KILLED BY A COKE MACHINE AND I WAS HIGH ON COKE AT THE TIME?
- Stephen King @StephenKing

Barry M
11-09-2015, 12:23 PM
"HEY! WHY IS STEPHN KING BLURB NOT ON SLIPCOVER? THIS IS THE WORST O-RING FAILURE SINCE THE CHALLENGER. SEE THIS MOVIE (IRONIC)" -- Steven King StevenKing Steevenking

Alex K.
11-09-2015, 12:25 PM
"THIS... IS A MOVIE."
-Larry King @LarryKing

Barry M
11-09-2015, 12:27 PM
"THIS" -- Stevenz King

Barry M
11-09-2015, 12:36 PM
STEPHEN KING IS THE GREEN INFERNO.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg138/barrymba56/ff562f_03c219d78be84cabb06a9b7a03f18240_zpsup5rcgt z.jpg

Roderick
11-09-2015, 12:45 PM
I'm no Steves Kling, but I thought the movie was a turd. And the extra scene at the end killed what little good will I had for it.

Alex K.
11-09-2015, 05:15 PM
"WHATTAMOVIE."
-StevezNutz @StevezNutz

Barry M
11-09-2015, 05:26 PM
STEEZNUTS

Roderick
11-09-2015, 07:28 PM
^ I'd vote for him.

Alex K.
11-09-2015, 08:49 PM
"THIS MOVIE WAS OBNOXIOUS GARBAGE THAT HAD A NON-ENDING. 0 STARS."
-Haim Futz @Haim Futz

Scott
11-10-2015, 03:12 PM
"I can't remember where I put my glasses!"
-Steve's the King

Alex K.
11-11-2015, 03:14 PM
"FUCK KUBRICK!"
-Singapore Sling King @SlingaporeSlingKing

Barry M
11-11-2015, 03:38 PM
"THIS MACHINE FUCKS CUJO!" -- SPCA KING

Kubrick's CUJO woulda been something, but at what cost in St. Bernards?

Barry M
11-11-2015, 03:45 PM
I kind of wanted to catch this in a movie theatre to see it without the SK endorsement, but I guess I've missed my chance.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg138/barrymba56/greeninterno_zpsmj9mgjgg.jpg

Roderick
11-11-2015, 05:40 PM
When I saw it I was the only sucker/degenerate in the joint. Also, when I bought the ticket the clerk double checked with me to make sure I knew what I was getting into. In the end the experience of seeing it in the theater was more enjoyable than the film itself.

Barry M
11-11-2015, 05:58 PM
The misanthrope goes to the cinema: the movie sucked, but the theatre was empty. A+.

Scott
11-11-2015, 06:02 PM
Guy at my work saw it and said he was the only one in the theatre. Said he liked it. He's never seen any of the Italo-cannibal flicks.

Cinematic Shocks
11-11-2015, 06:52 PM
This was disappointing but not as bad as ‘Knock Knock’. After these two, I’m not looking forward to Eli Roth getting behind the camera again. His first three films weren’t perfect but I enjoyed them all.

sukebanboy
11-11-2015, 07:59 PM
Couldn.t be worse than Knock Knock..unless he meant it as some kibd of meta-comedy.

Wasnt Green Inferno made BEFORE Knock Knock?....if so, this continues his downward spiral..

Cinematic Shocks
11-12-2015, 07:19 AM
Couldn.t be worse than Knock Knock..unless he meant it as some kibd of meta-comedy.

Roth was commentating on social media wrapping it up in a home invasion morality tale. Just a shame it wasn't something good.

Wasnt Green Inferno made BEFORE Knock Knock?....if so, this continues his downward spiral..

Yeah 'The Green Inferno' was shelved for two years.

sukebanboy
11-12-2015, 07:47 AM
Why was it shelved?

Nobody bought the rights?...Unable to get distribution?

Paul L
11-12-2015, 07:56 AM
There was supposed to be a German home video release last year, wasn't there, and that was to be the film's 'premiere'? I wonder why that fell through.

sukebanboy
11-12-2015, 09:06 AM
German Home Video world premiere...that just screams 'quality' all over....and if THEY cancel it...thats pretty much the end of that i guess!!

Cinematic Shocks
11-12-2015, 09:14 AM
Why was it shelved?

From Wiki...

The film was intended to be released theatrically on September 5, 2014 by Open Road Films. However, financial difficulties with the production company Worldview Entertainment caused Open Road to pull it from its original release.

Nabonga
11-18-2015, 06:35 PM
Pretty good interview with Eli on the Bret Easton Ellis podcast:

http://podcastone.com/pg/jsp/program/episode.jsp?programID=592&pid=565931

sukebanboy
11-24-2015, 07:05 AM
Well....that was an annoying movie...not because it was particularly bad...in fact I enjoyed quite a bit of the movie....but the fact that it undid any good will the film had earned too often...

Things that were not great..

It took too long to get to the jungle..and the first 20 mins was filled with some HORRIBLE acting..especially from her roommate
Really live streaming from cell phones in the jungle would actually work??
The sound effects in the shitting scene..who the F@#@ thought those sound effects were suitable?
The CGI...just HORRIBLE...
The 'munchies' scene..again lame humor pulled me out of the movie...
The ending....didnt make sense how she could get away with her story..did nobody go and check it out??
The 'twist' ending..no way was he serious there....

The rest of the movie was pretty well done..the story was ok..would have preferred the natives to have had more to do...and the 'lost footage' of the C H worked a lot better....but the practical effects in this were very good and it was nice to see a return to the old days of gore...the locations were amazing too...

Takuma
12-15-2015, 01:06 PM
I saw this a few days ago and was very happy with the way it turned out. Great to see cannibals back on screen. Beautiful locations, some nice adventure film atmosphere during the first half (as a good cannibal film should have), and pretty damn stomach churning practical gore. I know I'm getting more sensitive as I grow older (probably a good thing), but I was really wondering how the hell did they get an R for this? The first killing in the village is not far from the 80s Guinea Pig stuff.

Of course the film is not perfect. It doesn't have Cannibal Holocaust's almost schizophrenic mix of strong social commentary and exploitation of the very same matter, even though Roth throws in some superficial commentary, nor does it have Riz Ortolani's beautiful score. The ending could be a bit more effective, too, and perhaps the beginning could be more compact. But perhaps we shouldn't be comparing it to the best of all cannibal films. It's good enough (and more) the way it is.

Bogart
12-15-2015, 04:31 PM
I have not followed Eli Roth since Cabin Fever. I watched it again the other day. It was OK. Is this Green Inferno better or worse than Cabin Fever? Will help me decide whether to bother with it as anything that is worse would probably not make me want to see it.

Matt H.
12-15-2015, 05:05 PM
Here's how I'd rank his films;

Hostel Part II
Hostel
The Green Inferno
Cabin Fever
Knock Knock

Bogart
12-15-2015, 05:20 PM
So you rank Hostel II as his best? Never seen those but ill probably skip Green Inferno unless I catch it via Netflix or some other streaming medium.

Matt H.
12-15-2015, 05:22 PM
It's his most accomplished IMO. Some crazy scenes.

sukebanboy
12-15-2015, 06:49 PM
It's his most accomplished IMO. Some crazy scenes.

It is also marred by childish humour and certain instances of bad acting and 'meh' ending..
However, it IS nice to see cannibals back and for the majority of the movie Roth has a decent handle on things..if only he had reigned in the bad parts this would have been a GREAT film.

Matt H.
12-15-2015, 07:17 PM
It is also marred by childish humour and certain instances of bad acting and 'meh' ending..
However, it IS nice to see cannibals back and for the majority of the movie Roth has a decent handle on things..if only he had reigned in the bad parts this would have been a GREAT film.

I was referring to HOSTEL II, in regards to Bogart's question.

sukebanboy
12-15-2015, 08:35 PM
Lol...sorry:biggrin:

Yeah..I liked Hostel 2...seemed like he was improving his craft with each film up to this point..

Headless Body
12-15-2015, 10:25 PM
Here's how I'd rank his films;

Hostel Part II
Hostel
The Green Inferno
Cabin Fever
Knock Knock

Yeah, I agree with this. Hostel Part II is his best work by far.

Rakesh R.
12-16-2015, 01:38 AM
"Hostel: Part 2" is my favorite Eli Roth film. Though it got bad reviews, I actually enjoyed "Knock Knock".

sukebanboy
12-16-2015, 02:24 AM
"Hostel: Part 2" is my favorite Eli Roth film. Though it got bad reviews, I actually enjoyed "Knock Knock".

I enjoyed it too..but not in the way Roth probably intended (or maybe in a way he did)..Keanus acting alone made it worth a watch!

Rakesh R.
01-03-2016, 12:48 AM
I'm kind of split on "The Green Inferno". I liked some scenes and individual moments, but the humor really seemed out of place to me and diluted whatever shock value Roth was trying to achieve. Also, I really wished Roth shot the movie on 16mm/35mm film. The digital photography looked really bland and lifeless in spots IMHO( especially during the crash). I did like the soundtrack though.

Alex K.
01-03-2016, 01:05 AM
I'm tempted to do a fan-edit that cuts out nearly all of the humor, some of the shitty character-building moments, and add in music from Italian Cannibal flicks.

sukebanboy
01-03-2016, 01:57 AM
I'm tempted to do a fan-edit that cuts out nearly all of the humor, some of the shitty character-building moments, and add in music from Italian Cannibal flicks.

You do this and it would improve the movie greatly...Would love to see it....might end up being around the 75 min mark though..

Matt H.
01-06-2016, 05:02 PM
The digital photography looked really bland and lifeless in spots IMHO( especially during the crash).

I noticed this too when I watched the Blu. I couldn't tell when I saw it on the big screen.

Randy G
01-07-2016, 11:16 PM
Agree about the humour, it really was bad and ineffective here. The first 40 minutes are pretty bad until the cannibals show up. After that things get a lot better until the stupid 'munchies' scene. Some visually striking sequences, it would have benefited from a harder, more minimalist approach to the material.

Dom D
01-14-2016, 05:03 AM
I'm not seeing the issues you guys generally are here. There's very little humor here. As for character moments, fuck, I'll take as many as you've got in a film like this. The characters may not be people I like but they are people I know. These sorts of bastards annoy me no end- though they are often my friends- and since Hostel no ones been bringing them to the screen and then ripping them into bloody pieces more accurately than Eli Roth. I actually like that he takes the time to sketch these bastards in. I honestly can't think of another teen horror director who puts as much work into that side of things as Roth.

Now, I'm really not a survival horror/torture guy so this is totally not my thing but considering it's riffing on a genre whose previous high water mark was the laughable cannibal holocaust I thought it was okay. It's lean, tense, the right people get et. Hell I almost enjoyed it.

Alex K.
01-14-2016, 05:32 PM
I assume that Dom was looking away and missed the shitting scene and the scene where one of the activists is jerking off while trapped. Moments like that just weren't funny and just hurt the film overall.

sukebanboy
01-14-2016, 05:39 PM
I assume that Dom was looking away and missed the shitting scene and the scene where one of the activists is jerking off while trapped. Moments like that just weren't funny and just hurt the film overall.

Yeah...and must have also missed the first 20mins where the main womans roomate just cannot act to save her life...
Or maybe Oz gets an edited movie where they pre~cut the bad humour and acting:funny:

Tom Clark
01-14-2016, 06:37 PM
As for character moments, fuck, I'll take as many as you've got in a film like this. The characters may not be people I like but they are people I know. These sorts of bastards annoy me no end- though they are often my friends- and since Hostel no ones been bringing them to the screen and then ripping them into bloody pieces more accurately than Eli Roth. I actually like that he takes the time to sketch these bastards in. I honestly can't think of another teen horror director who puts as much work into that side of things as Roth.
I actually think this is the first time I've read something like this regarding Roth and his characters. Most of the commentary I've read about his films criticizes him for supposedly "identifying" with his frat boy/bro types of characters, even referring to his films as "bro-horror".

enandalusiskhund
08-20-2016, 06:00 PM
I thought this was better than expected, although still not a good film per se. I agree with the posters above me here: The humour was out of place and really hurt the film. Another thing I absolutely loathed was the moralistic and conservative covering of boobs throughout the film. It felt really unrealistic (and by that I mean not following the overall grim tone of the film) and silly. Are USA still trapped in their hypocritical views on violence vs. nudity in films?

EDIT:
Oh another thing: I really loved the big fuck you to middle class white priviliged people trying to save the world. I hate this exotifying and self-glorifying mindset, and it was cathartic to see their holier than thou attitude blow up in their faces.

The Silly Swede
08-20-2016, 07:31 PM
I liked this somewhat. More as a tribute to the genre, and an attempt to keep it alive, then as a film. Some poor CGI at times, but overall an effort worth applauding, even if the end result is not as good as one would have like.

And yes, one of the things I really did like is the big fuck you to the "do gooders"

Randy G
08-23-2016, 06:23 AM
I actually think this is the first time I've read something like this regarding Roth and his characters. Most of the commentary I've read about his films criticizes him for supposedly "identifying" with his frat boy/bro types of characters, even referring to his films as "bro-horror".

I thought it was pretty clear he was mocking most of the American characters in Hostel and here in Green Inferno. I actually liked Hostel and its sequel. I find the satire here confused though, in some ways it should have been even more harsh. I agree with Dom that CH is not the great shakes so many claim, I prefer the ridiculous but entertaining Jungle Holocaust.

PS. I'm surprised that almost no one seems to comment on the gay subplot of Hostel, this is the only review I've ever found thaf discusses it. (http://campblood.org/Reviews/Review%20-%20Hostel.htm)