PDA

View Full Version : Camera Obscura To Release Spirits Of Death

Ian Jane
06-01-2012, 10:30 AM
No details yet, but here's the slick cover art:

This marks the first ever DVD release anywhere in the world.

Andrew Monroe
06-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Another obscurity gets the red carpet treatment. I'm not crazy about this film but it's certainly odd enough to merit a watch. Do love the soundtrack though.

Ian Jane
09-17-2012, 09:29 AM
Romano Scavolini confirmed for an on camera intervivew for this release.

s.chivers
09-17-2012, 03:56 PM
I enjoyed this film and will definitely pick up an English-friendly, pressed disk.

MelissaMerli
09-18-2012, 12:42 PM
The problem that I have with the film is the ending.

SPOILERS

It just all ends so obviously and without any substance. The film has some really great moments and a real trippy vibe but that ending just plain sucks. lol I have to say that the very beginning when the lover is shot is priceless! I don't know of anyone who gets shot nude and tries to cover up their junk in the process!! I mean, nude or not if you are dying I don't think you are really concerned about who sees your goods...:tsk:

Wllm Clys
09-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Damn, I almost read the spoilers! Be careful! :)
Anyway, this film seems right up my alley! Thanks for the news.

Ian Jane
03-25-2013, 10:05 AM
Camera Obscura has Un Bianco Vestito per Marialé (A White Dress For Mariale) lined up for release soon and just posted a few screen grabs on their facebook page.

Ian Jane
03-25-2013, 10:06 AM

Scyther
03-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Can't wait for this; definitely gonna be pre-ordering from Diabolik!

Ian Jane
04-29-2013, 08:42 AM
From their FB page...

UN BIANCO VESTITO PER MARIALE' (No. 11 of our Italian Genre Cinema Collection) will be released June, 1st. It's now up for pre-order!

language: Italian (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono) with optional German and English subtitles / aspect ratio: 2.35:1 (anamorphic widescreen) / PAL / DigiPak in cardboard sleeve / ltd. to 2.000 copies

bonus features: Featurette “Esoteric and cryptic“* featuring director Romano Scavolini, audio commentary* with Christian Keßler and Marcus Stiglegger, booklet with liner notes by Kai Naumann, deleted scenes, Italian trailer, picture gallery (* with optional English subtitles)

"As a child, Marialé had to witness the unspeakable: Her father catches her mother lying in the arms of her young lover and decides to end this extramarital affair via handgun. Many years later, the traumatized little Marialé has grown into a beautiful young woman. She spends her life in her wary husband’s secluded castle, with barely any contact to the outside
world. One day, she decides to bring a little joy to her life and invites a group of old friends to spend the weekend in her gothic home. When the decadent party culminates in a boundless orgy, the first dead body turns up. And this is only the shocking beginning of a blood red night of epic elegance...

10 years prior to his notoriously gory axe shocker Nightmare in a Damaged Brain, Romano Scavolini created this stylish gothic giallo par excellence. Un Bianco Vestito per Marialé is the beautiful bastard child of Mario Bava and Federico Fellini, a colorful ode to decadence with all the ingredients fans of Italy’s genre cinema have come to love: beautiful women, bloody murders, blowing curtains, a star-studded cast and an exquisite soundtrack by grand masters Fiorenzo Capri and Bruno Nicolai."

Andrew Monroe
06-06-2013, 02:21 PM
In stock (http://www.diabolikdvd.com/category/Horror-[sl]-Thriller/Spirits-of-Death-DVD-(Camera-Obscura)-(PAL-Region-2).html) at Diabolik. As I mentioned before, I'm not crazy about this one but I'm willing to pony up and try it again - I love Camera Obscura's discs. It does have its moments anyway and the soundtrack is great. If you love those Bruno Nicolai scores for CASE OF THE SCORPION'S TAIL, RED QUEEN KILLS 7 TIMES, YOUR VICE...., and CASE OF THE BLOODY IRIS you'll enjoy this one by Fiorenzo Carpi and conducted by Nicolai.

Ian Jane
06-06-2013, 02:29 PM
I've got a review in the works, hopefully done soon - but the transfer is really, really, really nice.

Scyther
06-07-2013, 03:56 PM
Ordered (along with Jess Franco's Midnight Party) from Diabolik, and it's en route! Looking forward to this, for sure.

Andrew Monroe
06-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Watched this the other night...it did indeed improve in my estimation with this excellent presentation from CO. Just a beautiful looking disc, the colors really pop and the impressive camera work (by Scavolini himself) shines. It's still not among my favorite gialli but definitely rose a few notches.

I would love to know the skinny on the score, to me it sounds much more like Bruno Nicolai alone. Just compare it to his other gialli scores, very similar. I wonder if he didn't do more than just arrange and conduct. The other scores I've heard from Carpi, while not bad, don't show this kind of knack for gorgeous melodies. Scavolini does touch on the score in the interview and mention talking to Carpi, but I still wonder...

Wllm Clys
06-16-2013, 03:11 AM
I'd love to see this, but not at $35.

Ian Jane
12-21-2014, 11:43 AM
he Blu-ray-edition of UN BIANCO VESTITO PER MARIALE' (SPIRITS OF DEATH) can now be pre-ordered! It will already be released this Saturday (the 20th) and will be limited to only 1.000 copies.

Technische Daten / Technical Specifications:
• 2.35:1, 1080p HD, 23,98fps, Region B (Blu-ray)
• 2.35:1, 16:9, Anamorphic Widescreen,
• Italienisch in DTS-HD 2.0 Mono /
Italian Language in DTS-HD 2.0 Mono
• Englische und deutsche Untertitel /
English and German Subtitles

Extras:
• Audiokommentar der Filmgelehrten Christian Keßler
und Marcus Stiglegger /
Audio Commentary by Film Historians Christian Keßler
and Marcus Stiglegger
• Featurette "Esoteric and Cryptic" mit
Regisseur Romano Scavolini /
Featurette "Esoteric and Cryptic" featuring
Director Romano Scavolini
• Italienischer und französischer Trailer / Italian and French Trailers
• Fotogalerie / Photo Gallery
• Booklet von Kai Naumann / Booklet by Kai Naumann

Ian Jane
01-21-2015, 09:58 AM
The Blu-ray is in stock at Diabolik now.

http://www.diabolikdvd.com/category/Browse-All-Titles/Spirits-of-Death-%28Camera-Obscura%29-%28Blu~Ray-Region-B%29.html