PDA

View Full Version : The Real Reason Troma's Mother's Day Blu-ray never came out?

Ian Jane
06-08-2012, 09:05 AM
Is because it's now gone to Anchor Bay according to this article. (http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/exclusive-anchor-bay-set-to-release-orignal-mothers-day-on-dvd-blu-ray-this-fall)

Troma had announced this during their brief but welcome flirtation with Blu-ray a while back, saying it'd be out before the remake, and that didn't happen. AB has now got it slated for 9/4/12.

The official press release:

Originally released by Troma Entertainment in 1980, the film shocked critics, but garnered a huge cult following among fans of the genre, including Hostel director Eli Roth, and director of Saw II-IV, Darren Lynn Bousman, who helmed the 2012 remake starring Rebecca De Mornay.
Directed by Charles Kaufman and written by Kaufman and Warren Leight, the original Mother’s Day follows three young women abducted by homicidal momma’s boys Ike and Addley, while camping. Ike and Addley are goaded by their “Mother” into violent and graphic acts of torture against the three women. While doing everything to stay alive, the three women muster the courage escape, and serve their maniacal abductors some old-fashioned justice!

Featuring an all-new HD transfer, and never-before-seen bonus features, including commentary, behind-the-scenes footage, and a newly created featurette with genre favorite Eli Roth (Producer of The Last Exorcism, Grindhouse and Hostel 1 & 2), fans can finally add this long-awaited cult classic to their library, and new fans can experience the terror of Mother and her bloodthirsty boys for the first time.

BrianS
06-08-2012, 05:17 PM
I was gonna blind buy this way back when. Sorta forgot about it.

Jimmy Simard
06-08-2012, 06:56 PM
a newly created featurette with genre favorite Eli Roth (Producer of The Last Exorcism, Grindhouse and Hostel 1 & 2)
It wasn't enough he did destroy the Bloodsucking Freaks dvd, he will continue to say any stupidity passing through his mind on this too... Without him it would have been a must have, with him it become wishlist material for some day maybe...

Alex K.
06-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Godforbid anyone besmirch the legacy of Bloodsucking Freaks...

Jimmy Simard
06-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Your point being? If you have one of course...

Ian Jane
06-09-2012, 08:41 AM
I don't care if Eli's on the disc. If it helps them sell more copies, so be it. You can always choose not to watch the Roth bit if you don't want to. It's no different than Scorpion or Code Red using Katarina or Maria as a marketig tool to sll more discs. With the market being what it is, I can't begrudge the smaller indy studios from doing stuff like this to make a few more bucks.

Jimmy Simard
06-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Of course but the difference is that he don't moderate a commentary or do a skit like the Code Red and Scorpion hostess do, he tell false informations about the production. Very big difference to me...

BTW I wouldn't call Anchor Bay an indy studio, at least you can compare them to Code Red, Scorpions, Synapse or Alternative Cinema.

Ian Jane
06-09-2012, 01:02 PM
I was referring more to Troma than AB. I'm under the impression that this disc was ready to go before it went to AB and that Troma has had it done for some time. Eli and Troma are buddy buddy so it's not surprising to see him here.

What false information did he relay about Bloodsucking Freaks?

Alex K.
06-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Of course but the difference is that he don't moderate a commentary or do a skit like the Code Red and Scorpion hostess do, he tell false informations about the production. Very big difference to me...

BTW I wouldn't call Anchor Bay an indy studio, at least you can compare them to Code Red, Scorpions, Synapse or Alternative Cinema.

I think it's really, really obvious that it's a sarcastic commentary. I'm amazed that anyone could take it seriously. When Roth assures the listener that Bloodsucking Freaks was the inspiration for Schwarzenegger's one liners in his 80's action heyday, how could anyone think he was being serious?

The only thing he did get wrong is asserting that Niles Mcnaster (football player) died when he was 500lbs. When actually it was the fat guy who bought some girls off of Sardu who died a few years later morbidly obese.

Hey Jimmy, I own a bridge in Brooklyn I could sell you for real cheap.

Jimmy Simard
06-09-2012, 02:58 PM
I was referring more to Troma than AB.
OK now the indy comment make more sense. It's possible the disc was already done by Troma, but Anchor Bay usually do their own thing and it sounds kind of strange to me to see them just put their logo on something that isn't their work.

What false information did he relay about Bloodsucking Freaks?
I haven't listen my DVD in years but for I'm positive that after maybe 10 minutes most of the facts he said were false or half-truth. I can understand that maybe he was joking, but it's unprofessional and if you can't do a job you don't do it.

Hey Jimmy, I own a bridge in Brooklyn I could sell you for real cheap.
Alex, I said it one time and I'm sure I will say it again but... you don't really worth my time. You know I have no respect for people who stole legit releases and as you are one of them just do the math :nono:

BTW the only thing I asked you was "What was your point?" because you don't have one as it seems to be often the case with you...

Ian Jane
06-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Guys don't turn this in to a fight please. Use the ignore button if you need to.

With that said, Jimmy, I figure since Troma announced the Blu-ray a LONG time ago around the same time they actually did get a few Blu-ray discs to market, that this has been done for some time. This is just an assumption on my part though, I have nothing factual to base it on. I could be wrong.

Jimmy Simard
06-10-2012, 12:41 AM
Guys don't turn this in to a fight please.
Sorry Ian, just didn't like the comment he did about the film. Don't worry I've said what I needed to say, so it's over and done for me.

Ian Jane
08-29-2012, 11:34 AM
So it looks like the wait is over (and no more delays) as Diabolik got this in stock today.