PDA

View Full Version : THE EQUALIZER

Horace Cordier
06-10-2012, 01:01 AM
This remains one of my favorite shows ever. Luckily, after stalling on season 1 in the USA, it has been picked up in the UK for seasons 2 and 3 and will probably have its whole run issued. Quick note - the season 1 UK set has all the original music and that makes it vastly superior to the USA version. Picture quality is acceptable so far - this was a very dark and grainy looking show but that added to the gritty appeal. I personally think the UK DVDs look fine.

And how can you not love a show that had an episode guest starring BOTH Fred Williamson and Thomas Milan that also featured an 80's gang just like the one in DEATH WISH 3?

Jack J
06-10-2012, 01:11 AM
Hey Horace,

I'm familiar with the show as I watched a few episodes on local tv years ago. And like you I really liked it. What I'd like to know is how good the UK releases look? I checked Amazon UK and one "Paul" (no last name but could be Paul from dvdmaniacs) mentioned that the picture quality of season 1 isn't all that good. I'm going to order them anyway (as there aren't any real alternatives apart from the terrible reg. 1 set you mentioned) but I'm just curious.

Having just received this, after pre-ordered for 4 months (!) - I'm disappointed with the picture quality. The episodes are great, but some of the picture quality is poor, in fact my 18 year old VHS recordings from ITV are better !! Some scenes are very grainy (much worse than my VHS tapes), there is evidence of some over-compression, and some of the colour is washed out in some scenes. There are no extras. Although I am a fan of the series, I think I'll be keeping my VHS copies!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Equalizer-Season-1-DVD/dp/B000ZIKANO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1339302782&sr=8-2

Horace Cordier
06-10-2012, 01:51 AM
I'm OK with the picture quality so far. I have a 50 inch plasma so I'm not judging on a tiny screen. Its definitely gritty looking but I think its fine. "Worse than VHS" is hardly how I'd describe this. BTW, a different company picked it up from season 2 on and I actually think their transfers are superior to the company that did season 1.

I highly recommend these DVDs.

Jack J
06-10-2012, 02:49 AM
Thanks, Horace.

Paul L
06-10-2012, 04:54 AM
Hey Horace,

I'm familiar with the show as I watched a few episodes on local tv years ago. And like you I really liked it. What I'd like to know is how good the UK releases look? I checked Amazon UK and one "Paul" (no last name but could be Paul from dvdmaniacs) mentioned that the picture quality of season 1 isn't all that good. I'm going to order them anyway (as there aren't any real alternatives apart from the terrible reg. 1 set you mentioned) but I'm just curious.

Nah, that's not me, Jack. I'm very happy with the quality of the DVDs. I bought the season 2 set when it came out and have proffered the season 3 set, which I think is due out either this month or next.

Jack J
06-10-2012, 05:16 AM
Oh okay. I just saw that he was a real fan of the series and thought of you. :haha:

Thanks for the info, Paul.

Paul L
06-27-2012, 06:02 AM
Ach, according to an email I just received from Amazon, the release date for season 3 has been pushed back to Jan 2013 - which usually means that there is no official release date. Fingers crossed that this release hasn't been cancelled.