PDA

View Full Version : Lee Marvin, Manliest Of Men.

Ian Jane
06-10-2012, 07:57 PM
There's been a lot of Lee Marvin in my life these last couple of weeks. The Big Heat, Delta Force, and then this afternoon The Dirty Dozen, a crown jewel in his filmography no doubt.

Had never checked out the extras on the Blu before - there's a cool half hour USMC training film on there that he hosts. I knew he was a real life Marine but it was cool to see him sort of interacting and teaching us all about how to keep command during combat situations and the like. It was the last film he made before he passed away.

At any rate, I figure Lee needs his own thread. Hell, his eyebrows alone probably deserve their own thread. He's tough, he's rad, he's cool, he got it on with Angie Dickinson in Point Blank and he held his own against Bronson in Death Hunt.

Will check out the made for TV Dirty Dozen sequel soon, as it's on the disc as a bonus feature, and I'm kinda jonsing to rewatch The Killers now that I've kind of got Lee Marvin fever.

A few weeks ago it was Lee Frost Fever, now it's Lee Marvin Fever. I've previously suffered from Bruce Lee Fever but never been officially diagnosed with Lee. J. Cobb fever (that I can remember at least).

Ian Jane
06-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Oh and his track from Paint Your Wagon, 'Wandering Star,' went gold. So he's got that going for him. And he was related to Thomas Jefferson as well as to Robert E. Lee.

He turned down the lead in The Wild Bunch to play in Paint Your Wagon, but we won't hold that against him. And he turned down Dirty Harry and Death Wish... because he could.

Paul Casey
06-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Plus, he was half of the super manly duo in Hell in the Pacific (along w/ Toshiro Mifune).

Mark C.
06-10-2012, 09:57 PM
One of my fav actors, love him in POINT BLANK.
I always loved this photo of him:
http://theselvedgeyard.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/leemarvin-esq-1.jpg?w=600&h=772

Randy G
06-10-2012, 10:40 PM
Of the 'tough guy' actors he always brought the most range and depth to his roles, I think (Robert Mitchum is in the same league as well).

Other great films with him are PRIME CUT, THE BIG RED ONE and he's very memorable as the bad guy in GORKY PARK. I've yet to check him out in Frankenheimer's film version of O'Neil's THE ICEMAN COMETH but I'm looking forward to it.

Paul L
06-11-2012, 03:20 AM
PRIME CUT all the way, baby. Great film. Years ago, I met a young woman whose favourite film was PRIME CUT. I shoulda married her.

Another of my favourites is EMPEROR OF THE NORTH (POLE). That's an amazing picture, as is HELL IN THE PACIFIC.

Marvin was always good in secondary roles in 'B' Westerns too - think SEVEN MEN FROM NOW and HANGMAN'S KNOT. Plus, for me, he stole THE WILD ONE right from under Brando's nose.

Ian Jane
06-11-2012, 08:50 AM
I'm with you on The Wild One, Paul. He does steal it.

I forgot all about Hell In The Pacific. Haven't seen that since I was a kid. Need to fix that.

That Esquire cover is great. What kind of evil is Lee afraid of? I want to know.

Dom D
06-11-2012, 09:00 AM
I submit that Lee Van Cleef is the manlier Lee.

Ian Jane
06-11-2012, 09:12 AM
That's a very tough call to make. I give it to Marvin for being more of a real life hard ass than Van Cleef. I know they were both in WWII, but Marvin got shot and survived, Van Cleef didn't. And then there's the whole Marines Vs. Navy debate in which Marvin takes the edge.

But really the only way we could settle it for sure would be with a knife fight, and since they're both dead, that'll never happen.

Todd Jordan
06-11-2012, 09:40 AM
That Esquire cover is great. What kind of evil is Lee afraid of? I want to know.

It MUST be a typo. They had to have meant to put a "n't" next to "is".

Supposedly he served under Captain Kangaroo in WWII, a story he supposedly told on Carson I think. So would that make Kangaroo the trainer of the manliest of men?

And don't forget him in Gorky Park. He just dripped evil in the movie. "He killed my dogs, so I gutted him." Fuck...a man after my own heart.

Ian Jane
06-11-2012, 09:44 AM
The Captain Kangaroo thing was just a rumor (http://www.snopes.com/military/celebrities/leemarvin.asp) - a cool one though.

Todd Jordan
06-11-2012, 11:05 AM
I will blindly believe it to be true until I die.

Barry M
06-11-2012, 11:12 AM
All I took away from that was Capt. Kangaroo dropped the atom bomb, which is pretty manly.

Todd Jordan
06-11-2012, 11:33 AM
I think he actually threw it from Hawaii.

Paul Casey
06-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Lee Van Cleef played a total pussweed in an episode (episodes? Can't remember) of Wanted: Dead or Alive. Lee Marvin didn't.

Todd Jordan
06-11-2012, 01:32 PM
This thread cannot handle both of them. Please, stop saying the other Lee's name.

Barry M
06-11-2012, 01:48 PM
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg138/barrymba56/lee-marvin-lee-van-cleef-murphy-ell.jpg

Barry M
06-11-2012, 01:49 PM
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg138/barrymba56/MV5BMTQzNDI5NDAxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTc.jpg

Jimmy Stewart and John Wayne are not manly (enough).

Todd Jordan
06-11-2012, 02:47 PM
No they are not. Looks like The Duke has a fear boner.

Ian Jane
06-11-2012, 02:56 PM
He's just got really large testicles.

Barry M
06-11-2012, 03:17 PM
He's just got really large testicles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxktxvMNOGs

That is true.

Paul L
06-11-2012, 03:21 PM
I'd rather not choose between the two Lees: both were great screen presences.

I always liked that Terry O'Neill portrait of Marvin taken on the set of POCKET MONEY - which, admittedly, is a fairly mediocre film.

http://www.chrisbeetlesfinephotographs.com/sites/default/files/stock-images/LEE-MARVIN-ON-THE-SET-OF-POCKET-MONEY-TUCSON-ARIZONA-1971-1-C24361E.jpg

Ian Jane
06-11-2012, 03:23 PM
You just know that bottle of Cuervo was full before Marvin sat down with it.

Ian Jane
06-11-2012, 03:25 PM
Did Lee Van Cleef ever sing like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnbiRDNaDeo

I guess he sort of did in Captain Apache.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j46FDG8UeXw

Paul Casey
06-11-2012, 04:06 PM
You just know that bottle of Cuervo was full before Marvin sat down with it.

Check out the Corona in a brown glass bottle! Wild.

Mark C.
06-11-2012, 04:11 PM
It's a story about how hollywood stars are arming themselves in fear of the Tate/LaBiannca murders, Manson cult.

Barry M
06-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Meatloaf was born "Marvin Lee Aday".

I don't know if anybody has ever been named Cleef van Lee anything, but even if they had, pretty hard to top Paradise by the Dashboard Light. Sorry, Lee with No Name.

Ian Jane
06-11-2012, 04:39 PM
It's a story about how hollywood stars are arming themselves in fear of the Tate/LaBiannca murders, Manson cult.

Lee would have gotten rid of those hippies before they even got close to him. I think Todd's right. Typo on the cover.

Paul Casey
06-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Lee would have gotten rid of those hippies before they even got close to him. I think Todd's right. Typo on the cover.

Well, if there's one thing Toidd knows, it's typos.

Todd Jordan
06-11-2012, 05:52 PM
here heer.

Andrew Monroe
06-13-2012, 08:28 AM
Funny, I've been watching a lot of Lee Marvin of late too. THE DIRTY DOZEN BD, THE BIG HEAT, DONOVAN'S REEF...My Dad and I had a conversation about him last Christmas, we both agreed that compared to the likes of Lee Marvin most actors today seem like little boys. One of my favorite roles of his is MONTE WALSH, it's a little different from his typical charactor, maybe that's why it's not mentioned very often. He's just so damn good in it, really has an emotional punch at the end. He could elevate a fairly average film like THE SPIKES GANG to where you're just riveted every time he's on screen, that's the kind of charisma he had.

Ian Jane
06-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Monte Walsh is an interesting movie. I liked it. Definitely a different type of movie for him but he handles the character development side of things very well in the film. I think it's underrated.

Andrew Monroe
07-06-2012, 08:14 AM
I was rereading Tony Isabella's awesomely fun book 1000 Comic Books You Must Read last night and was reminded of this. Look familiar? Isabella says it only lasted one issue, due to poor distribution and also Marvin's reaction to the unauthorized use of his likeness.

This was 1968, no doubt it was the influence of POINT BLANK.

Ian Jane
07-06-2012, 09:16 AM
That's fucking bad ass right there. Nice find.

Mark C.
02-01-2013, 03:00 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Lawbreaker-Lee-Marvin-Presents/dp/B00AML73BG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359701772&sr=8-1&keywords=the+lawbreaker
http://i50.tinypic.com/cuejk.jpg
For decades, generations of viewers have tuned in faithfully to witness the dirty deeds, and clean resolutions, that televised crime shows routinely deliver. It s a time proven format that never fails to satisfy justice served, in well under an hour.
"Lee Marvin Presents: Lawbreaker", featuring the talents of one of Hollywood's most iconic tough guys, stands out in a genre that has produced some of televisions most popular and influential programming, and also some of it's more memorable personalities.

Cast as a bad guy early in his career, Lee Marvin began making a name for himself with supporting roles in "The Wild One' and "The Big Heat" in 1953, before his performance as a sadistic cowboy in "Bad Day at Black Rock" (1955) cemented his reputation as a leading screen villain. He was propelled to stardom and leading man status following outstanding performances in "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" (1962), and in "The Killers" (1964). The Western-comedy "Cat Ballou" (1965), earned Marvin widespread critical kudos, as well as an Academy Award for Best Actor.

In addition to his big-screen successes, Marvin starred in two television series, "M Squad" (NBC, 1957-1960), which cast him as a plainclothes detective who is a member of a special squad with the Chicago Police Department that takes on organized crime, and later, as host and narrator of "Lee Marvin Presents: Lawbreaker". One of the first television crime dramas to feature semi-documentary re-creations of real life cases, the show pioneered a format that is still wildly popular almost fifty years later. Marvin s tough-as-nails persona and his trademark no nonsense delivery shine through as he guides us through a sordid collection of criminal activity extracted from the crime dockets of some of America s biggest cities.

Looks cool, and a definite pre-order for me.

Andrew Monroe
02-01-2013, 10:36 AM
That sounds like a strange one for Lee Marvin to do, never seen an episode of it. Is he just the host, doing intros and endings or is he actually in the re-creations? If it's the latter I'd definitely be interested...not so much if he's just the host.

Ian Jane
02-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Yeah, I'm not familiar with that at all. Sounds kind of cool though, thanks for the heads up on that Mark.

Scott
02-01-2013, 11:53 AM
I got EMPEROR OF THE NORTH and MONTE WALSH sitting here, plannin' on watchin' 'em this weekend!

Scott
02-04-2013, 11:15 AM
I got EMPEROR OF THE NORTH and MONTE WALSH sitting here, plannin' on watchin' 'em this weekend!

Watched these, liked EMPEROR OF THE NORTH a lot, MONTE WALSH I'm kinda cool on.

Andrew Monroe
02-04-2013, 03:24 PM
MONTE WALSH I'm kinda cool on.

Watch it again sometime, I'd be surprised if it didn't grow on you. It's an unconventional western and can be a letdown if you're expecting something else but I find it has a way of remaining in your thoughts. That ending is beautiful imo and very touching.

Scott
02-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Watch it again sometime, I'd be surprised if it didn't grow on you. It's an unconventional western and can be a letdown if you're expecting something else but I find it has a way of remaining in your thoughts. That ending is beautiful imo and very touching.

I think I'll have to give it another go, I liked everyone in it, not sure what I was expecting to be honest.

Randy G
02-05-2013, 03:57 AM
Recently saw Marvin in a minor role in I DIED A THOUSAND TIMES starring Jack Palance and Shelley Winters in a remake of High Sierra. Lee plays one of the dopes who panics during the climatic robbery, definitely against the type he'd end up playing. Palance is great in this though, worth a look for his performance imo.

Scott
02-07-2013, 10:59 AM
I gave MONTE WALSH another look a few days ago and it has been kinda haunting me since. *SPOILERS* Especially the scene where he's too late visiting his love and she already passed away. That and the scene where Palance gets shot. Grim stuff. Palance is so good in this, a truly likeable character. It was also cool seeing Michael Conrad from HILL STREET BLUES in it, I only wish he had more to do. Glad you guys elbowed me into giving this another shot.

Fits good with other westerns that share the theme of the west ending and cowboys becoming obsolete, like MAN OF THE WEST and RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY. I'm sure there are tons of others, what else is good?

Andrew Monroe
02-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Scott, I haven't been ignoring your question, it's just that I'm drawing a blank. Like you say, there are no doubt many other twilight westerns - and I'm sure I've seen some - but I've been thinking about this for the last day and dammit I'm stumped. I bet Paul or Richard could throw out a few titles.

Glad you got more out of MONTE WALSH this time. I love the ending where Marvin sort of repeats what he said at the begining, very touching.

Ian Jane
02-08-2013, 01:32 PM
Fits good with other westerns that share the theme of the west ending and cowboys becoming obsolete, like MAN OF THE WEST and RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY. I'm sure there are tons of others, what else is good?

Junior Bonner (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068786/) might work.

Barry M
02-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Lonely Are The Brave for sure.
Rancho Deluxe is funnier.

Scott
02-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Lonely Are The Brave for sure.

Yes! Been meaning to get around to this. Thanks for the reminder, Baz!

Barry M
02-08-2013, 05:03 PM
Zero Lee Marvin, though.

Barry M
02-08-2013, 05:11 PM
You could argue THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE is an end of the west movie, but then it could also be a John Wayne or Jimmy Stewart movie and off topic.

Ian Jane
12-17-2013, 09:57 AM
YUP.

Hopefully Point Blank will follow soon.

Ian Jane
12-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Release date is 3/7/14 and supposedly Monte Walsh, The Revengers and Backlash are also coming, all from Explosive Media in Germany.

Ian Jane
12-17-2013, 09:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxzQ1MEhzUg

Andrew Monroe
12-17-2013, 10:50 AM
I'd definitely be interested in MONTE WALSH on blu, probably PRIME CUT too.

Is BACKLASH the 1956 western starring Richard Widmark and Donna Reed? I don't think I've ever seen that if so, it was directed by John Sturges and written by Borden Chase...from what I've read it sounds well worth seeing. Looks like it has never had a home video release here in the US at least.

Richard--W
12-17-2013, 11:54 AM
TCM Vault released John Sturges' BACKLASH (1956) in Western Horizons: Universal Westerns of the 1950s collection last September. It also sells individually on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZBC3VO/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

An "adult" psychological western that makes extensive use of southeastern Arizona locations that would later become known as Old Tucson Studio, inventively directed by Sturges. Good film, very western.

Andrew Monroe
12-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Ah, thanks Richard. That individual release is much more attractive to me, I don't necessarily need it on a pricey import BD.

Richard--W
12-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Release date is 3/7/14 and supposedly Monte Walsh, The Revengers and Backlash are also coming, all from Explosive Media in Germany.

THE REVENGERS is which film? is that the one directed by Burt Kennedy and featuring Patrick Wayne?

Richard--W
12-17-2013, 01:57 PM
I would to see Robert Aldrich's EMPEROR OF THE NORTH (1974) on blu-ray most of all.

Paul L
12-17-2013, 04:23 PM
THE REVENGERS is which film? is that the one directed by Burt Kennedy and featuring Patrick Wayne?
Nope, the DIRTY DOZEN-like Western in which William Holden buys the freedom of six prisoners to avenge the death of his wife.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1jiUSK7TSHoZ20rW1OHeJiXBvlnYtv mDDrIFxhguBkVA7JlIKUg

EDIT: Here's the Blu-ray cover:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61%2Bc%2BdCAVDL._SX385_.jpg

Paul L
12-17-2013, 04:25 PM
I would to see Robert Aldrich's EMPEROR OF THE NORTH (1974) on blu-ray most of all.
You and me both!

Zane C.
12-18-2013, 12:45 AM
Nope, the DIRTY DOZEN-like Western in which William Holden buys the freedom of six prisoners to avenge the death of his wife.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1jiUSK7TSHoZ20rW1OHeJiXBvlnYtv mDDrIFxhguBkVA7JlIKUg

EDIT: Here's the Blu-ray cover:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61%2Bc%2BdCAVDL._SX385_.jpg

I'll be buying this. THE REVENGERS is a favourite of mine. THE WILD BUNCH is my favourite film of all time, and Holden and Borgnine are fantastic in that, and also this (THE REVENGERS).

Ian Jane
02-19-2014, 12:48 PM
Lee Marvin says.... SMOKE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBCyPdEIdOA

Ian Jane
03-11-2014, 08:48 AM
July 2014 from Warner!

Andrew Monroe
03-11-2014, 08:57 AM
Oh hell yes! Looks like I will be cracking open a bottle of some good scotch in July.

I hope this is a sign of more Marvin to come on BD - MONTE WALSH would be a good follow-up.

Paul L
03-11-2014, 04:32 PM
July 2014 from Warner!

Whoopee-fuggin'-do! Good, good, good news!

Ian Jane
03-11-2014, 05:56 PM

Ian Jane
04-01-2015, 04:13 PM
Kino are releasing Prime Cut on Blu-ray in July. No other details yet but I am happy to see this happening because it is a damn fine film.

Paul L
04-01-2015, 06:53 PM
Kino are releasing Prime Cut on Blu-ray in July. No other details yet but I am happy to see this happening because it is a damn fine film.
The German Blu-ray is decent enough but barebones. I'm guessing the Kino will be from the same source.

It's a brilliant film. In my callow youth I was once chatted up by a young woman whose opening gambit was to declare, without provocation from me, that this was her favourite film of all time. I shrugged her off at the time, but in the almost 20 years since that's never happened again, and in retrospect I probably should have married her on the spot :funny:

Keeth
04-02-2015, 03:10 PM
EMPEROR OF THE NORTH is my fave Lee Marvin film. I'd love to have a blu of it. PRIME CUT is killer, too.

Ian Jane
04-25-2015, 01:24 PM
Confirmed for July from Kino.

Ian Jane
08-11-2015, 10:57 AM
Kino just announced this one too...

Tim R-T-C
08-11-2015, 04:54 PM
EMPEROR OF THE NORTH is my fave Lee Marvin film. I'd love to have a blu of it. PRIME CUT is killer, too.

Just one of the manliest movies ever made. Hard, rough and full of steam trains. Certainly one of my top ten movies of all time.

Keeth
09-08-2015, 04:07 PM
I just discovered Twilight Time is releasing EMPEROR OF THE NORTH on bd today! I've put my pre-order in at ScreenArchives.com.