PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Tooth

Andrew Monroe
06-15-2012, 08:06 AM
Anyone else read this Vertigo series? I bought the first collection on FCD at half price and damn if I wasn't hooked. Jeff Lemire writes and draws it, and his artwork is quirky yet totally awesome. I have now read all 4 available trades and am jonesing for more. Sad thing is, the book is ending later this year. I guess he had a finite story in mind and is sticking to it. This gets a lot of hype but in this case the book is well worth all the raves. It's a really fast read, but manages to be memorable and leaves you thinking about where this is going. Right now I am curious as hell to know what is the deal with the cripple they are staying with, he gives off a really creepy vibe....(but don't tell me if you are reading the individual issues and already know!)

Ian Jane
06-15-2012, 12:27 PM
I've flipped through it based on the cover art a few times. I like the illustrations. Haven't read the series though maybe I should start.

Andrew Monroe
06-15-2012, 02:39 PM
I'm telling ya, if you try the first book I think you'll like it. The first collection is only 12 bucks or so, or you could even try your local library. I'm constantly amazed at what they are carrying these days as far as graphic novels go. The one here has stuff like Hack/Slash, 100 Bullets, Chew, the entire Starman Omnibus set, etc....

For those that don't know, Sweet Tooth is about a mysterious plague that wipes out most of humanity. At the same time the only babies born are animal/human hybrids and they are immune to the disease. One such hybrid, a boy named Gus, meets up with a hulking, violent ex-hockey player named Jepperd who says he will take him to a safe place (the hybrids are hunted by survivors). It's a cool sci-fi/horror story with a real heart, very moving in places. To say much more would get into spoiler territory and it's best to know as little as possible before reading this.

Ian Jane
06-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Good suggestion on the library route. There's one two blocks away, I've never even been in it.

I have OCD about needing to 'own' stuff, but honestly, I usually read stuff once and put it on a shelf. And since my shelves are pretty damn full, it's time to maybe get over that.

Andrew Monroe
06-15-2012, 02:55 PM
I know what you mean, I still like to own books and graphic novels too...hell, I buy stuff like the latest Scott Sigler novel in hard cover knowing I will read it once (though I have read his book Contagious twice). I also bought Stephen King's last two monster doorstops, 11/22/63 and Under The Dome (loved both after hating his last few before that) but I probably won't be reading them again. With comics, I tend to buy stuff I know I'll love, having read some individual issues. I use the library to try out things I'm not sure about and if I like it I still usually end up buying a copy, haha. I got the first collection of Vertigo's Scalped from the library.

Ian Jane
06-15-2012, 03:38 PM
It's definitely a more sensible approach. I used to be such a hardcore collector. I've gotten a lot better over the years but still need to work on it.

Randy G
06-18-2012, 02:58 AM
This is a great series, Lemire's more personal stuff is also worth checking out.