PDA

View Full Version : Judge Dredd (2012)

Ian Jane
06-20-2012, 11:39 AM
So this is starting to roll, as far as the hype machine goes, figured it was time for a thread.

First up, a promo popped up on youtube. Observe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DrHfq0QWFoE

Second, the one sheet is kind of bad ass.

Apparantly the full length trailer is coming out this week, it's hitting theaters in September.

I have high hopes for this even if I haven't seen (or been interested in) anything Pete Travis has ever been associated with in his entire career. Karl Urban has the potential to be a good Dredd and the fact that it's going for a hard R means that maybe, just maybe, they will present the character as the complete fucking bad ass he should be and was in the comics.

Frankly it's surprising to me that, after the flop that was Stallone's attempt to bring Dredd to the movies, this is even being made. But there's definitely potential here.

Paul Casey
06-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Never saw the Stallone one. Any chance they'll use Anthrax - I Am The Law? haha That'd rule.

The Silly Swede
06-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Well if it is going hard R then I am game, even though I never fancied the Dredd comics or the sly movie.

Ian Jane
06-20-2012, 12:53 PM
I was huge into the comics in the 80s. Anytime Brian Bolland drew Dredd, I was there. Of course, as I got older and the stories got a bit more repetitive I lost some of my interest but I've always liked the character.

And yeah, using Anthrax on the soundtrack, even if it were over the end credits or something, would be a cool touch.

I used to have this shirt when I was 13 or 14.

Alex K.
06-20-2012, 01:29 PM
The Stallone film is a guilty pleasure. Nearly ruined by the presence of Rob Schneider but it still works on its own terms.

Never read the comics but I'm up for more futuristic action flicks.

Todd Jordan
06-20-2012, 04:23 PM
Link has been murdered. Now I'll never know for sure that I have no interest in seeing it. I thought the Stallone version wasn't worth watching a second time, but I like Mean Machine. He looked pretty cool. Maybe they'll give us a Judge Death in this one.

Ian Jane
06-20-2012, 04:29 PM
There's no Judge Death listed in the IMDB credits (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343727/fullcredits#cast) but anything is possible (some of the actors don't have roles listed.... so maybe?).

Judge Death was pretty bad ass. This picture cracks me up.

Todd Jordan
06-20-2012, 07:05 PM
In the third Lord of the Rings movie, the Mouth of Sauron reminded me of Judge Death.

Ian Jane
06-21-2012, 09:26 AM
And... the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TztlWa8a2ik&feature=player_embedded

Todd Jordan
06-21-2012, 11:07 AM
um...PASS...looks like a bucket of fuck.

Andrew Monroe
06-21-2012, 12:05 PM
I'd be up for this if it gets him right. I didn't read the comics regularly, here and there. IDW is bringing back the comic this fall too.

Alex K.
06-22-2012, 02:14 AM
I saw the trailer. Looks good. Karl Urban seems to be channeling Jackie Earle Haley's Rorschach more than anything else. But I'll watch it.

Also this is mandatory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvJiYrRcfQo

Dom D
06-22-2012, 02:31 AM
I haven't read much Judge Dredd but I was always under the impression it had a strong Black comedy/social satire angle to it. Kind of along the lines of Starship Troopers. Am I wrong in that? If not it seems like Hollywood has been very keen to ignore that angle in both adaptions.

sukebanboy
06-22-2012, 06:36 AM
Seems like another wasted opportunity to bring DREDD to the big screen..from reviews so far most people say it seems like a rip -off of THE RAID (pretty good to be compared to this movie!)...but without the feeling or intensity...

Heard also behind the scene wrangling left director shut out of the editing while writer andrew garfield re-shot stuff and edited it his way...which may be enought ot get a co-director credit...

Anyhow, Verhoeven already made the best DREDD movie that can ever be made....and its name was ROBOCOP...

Todd Jordan
06-22-2012, 09:58 AM
Anyhow, Verhoeven already made the best DREDD movie that can ever be made....and its name was ROBOCOP...

Totally agree with that, and I'll go further and say its one of the best movies ever. EVER.

The Silly Swede
06-23-2012, 08:31 AM
Yeah, what the f is up with giving away the ENTIRE plot of the film in the trailer?

Todd Jordan
06-23-2012, 09:00 AM
That was all they had for story and dialogue. The rest of the running time is things exploding.

sukebanboy
06-23-2012, 10:54 AM
That was all they had for story and dialogue. The rest of the running time is things exploding.

........in slow motion

bgart13
06-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Looks plain, unfortunately. But it can't be any worse than the last attempt. Though, I will miss Rob Schneider's presence...

Jack J
06-24-2012, 02:16 AM
What's with the trailers! The first one has been removed and the second one now says it's listed as "private". :down:

Ian Jane
06-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Not so surprisingly the Stallone version has been announced for Blu-ray release (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008C0C1Y8/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=cognitrespon-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B008C0C1Y8) in Sept., just in time for the new version to hit theaters.

The Silly Swede
06-25-2012, 01:06 PM
I wonder if the shitty SFX becomes even shittier in hi-def?

sukebanboy
06-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Not so surprisingly the Stallone version has been announced for Blu-ray release (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008C0C1Y8/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=cognitrespon-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B008C0C1Y8) in Sept., just in time for the new version to hit theaters.

and I am sure THE ASYLUM have their own version to be released around the same time too!LOL

sukebanboy
07-09-2012, 08:44 PM
HOw much does DREDD need to make before they allow a sequel???....

...$50 million seems to be the magic number. Garland appeared at London Film and Comic Con over the weekend, where DREDD was pimped, and discussed where the latest theatrical adaptation of the JUDGE DREDD comics might head after the first installment hits screens in September.

If they want to make sequels, I’ve got a story that goes from this one into the origins of Dredd and the city. Then the third one has would have a strange, existential attack from the Dark Judges.

SHIT....I really want to see that third one....the Dark Judges kick ass.....

But seriously, are they REALLY planning a trilogy...or just pimping to get money from fans???

Ian Jane
07-10-2012, 09:30 AM
I could see this working well as a trilogy, actually - especially if it builds towards the Dark Judges storyline. There's lots of potential for awesome there if they do it right.

sukebanboy
07-10-2012, 10:20 AM
There's lots of potential for awesome there if they do it right.

How many times has this been said when a cool-sounding movie has been announced....

...and how many times have tears been shed after watching the finished product.....POTENTIAL in Hollywood is rarely followed through...

Ian Jane
07-10-2012, 10:31 AM
You're right, but I tend to be an optimistic even when I realize I shouldn't be.

sukebanboy
07-10-2012, 10:33 AM
You're right, but I tend to be an optimistic even when I realize I shouldn't be.

I fear that THAT is the fatal flaw that the vast majority of us on here possess.....The ability to hold out hope...right to the very end...and sometimes even beyond that....:nono:

Ian Jane
07-10-2012, 10:38 AM
In all reality the Dark Judges will be completely CGI and they'll be shoehorned into the storyline. BUT, that initial Dark Judges storyline from the original comics is one of the high points of Dredd-dom in my opinion. There's a lot of cool images and themes running through it and maybe... if we're lucky, some of that will make it through.

sukebanboy
07-10-2012, 10:52 AM
I agree...THE DARK JUDGES were one of the high points of Dredd storyline...and would look cool on film...

Shit, even the Stallone version AT LEAST had the ANGEL GANG in there for a moment....they were cool....

Ian Jane
07-11-2012, 12:21 PM

Complete with a very ugly cover!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51DBItJ8OiL.jpg

sukebanboy
07-11-2012, 12:57 PM
That cover right there sums up MOST of the things that were wrong with this movie....

Disappointed they didn't photo shop a Rob Schneider image peeking around a corner and smirking or something...then would have been a PERFECT nightmare!

Travis Sheldon
07-12-2012, 02:14 AM
I never picked up any version of this film.
Please tell me they added the circuit board for the blu release.
Regardless, that cover is trash.
I take it back.
That cover is very Leyfeld-esque.

Travis Sheldon
07-12-2012, 02:19 AM
OK, so I just looked on eBay! at old VHS and DVD releases of Judge Dredd and they all have the same lame image.
I haven't seen this flick since it was released so my memory is nil, but did Sly wear the helmet for more than 5 minutes in the movie?

Roderick
07-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Positive review. (http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/12/dredd-review)

sukebanboy
07-12-2012, 09:59 AM
ANOTHER positive review over at AICN

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/56944

Violent/ black comic/good characters...and he DOESNT TAKE HIS HELMET OFF.....

Seriously, if these arent PLANT reviews i am up for this one now!!!

sukebanboy
07-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Even TWITCH gave it a VERY enthusiastic review....

http://twitchfilm.com/reviews/2012/07/sdcc-2012-dredd-3d-brings-mega-violence-to-mega-city-one.php

Nice to see they mention that EVERY shred of the Stallone travesty has been killed by this new movie....Hooray!

I am going to see this in the theater after reading these....

sukebanboy
07-13-2012, 01:33 AM
Here is a cool violent bit from the movie (red band)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8lMmRe6Z44&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fresults%3Fsear ch_query%3Ddredd%2B3d

I am NOT a fan of CGI blood..but this might look ok in 3D

Ian Jane
07-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Yeah, this is gonna be fun I think.

sukebanboy
07-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Yeah, this is gonna be fun I think.

You know what......This one will probably be THE movie that I had most misgivings about. when I heard they were rebooting it.........and its turning into something that might well be the biggest (best) surprise of the year...

Ian Jane
07-19-2012, 10:38 AM
A whole bunch of new promo stills were uploaded to Den of Geek (http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/22063/new-pictures-from-dredd) this morning.

Ian Jane
08-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Judge Anderson still released on Facebook. Not really news, but nothing else is going on today, so why not!

Toyboy
08-09-2012, 06:47 PM
I'm just happy that they didn't fudge the name and call it DRE3D, or DREDDD or something.

sukebanboy
08-09-2012, 08:47 PM
I'm just happy that they didn't fudge the name and call it DRE3D, or DREDDD or something.

The temptation to do just that must have been almost unbearable for them!!

Ian Jane
09-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Den of Geek posted an interview with Karl Urban here (http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/dredd/22534/karl-urban-interview-playing-dredd-comics-and-more).

Q: Is there anything in particular, if there were to be a sequel, you'd like to see covered? Any particular storylines or characters that you're a fan of?

A: Sure, absolutely. I always like in Bond films how they start the film with the end of the last caper, or the last adventure – you know, the Indiana Jones films did the same, too. So there'd be a wonderful opportunity to maybe do something like the story of Raider [a classic early 90s Garth Ennis story], which is quite a condensed story about a former Judge who turns into a vigilante – you could do something like that as a vignette at the beginning of the next film, or even expand it into a full film. There's enough there in its own right.

And I definitely would love to see the Dark Judges – that would have to be the go-to for the next story, I would have thought.

Zane C.
09-04-2012, 11:50 PM
The guy who played McCoy in the rebooted STAR TREK is playing Judge Dredd in the rebooted JUDGE DREDD?

"I'm a doctor, Jim, not a judge".

Sorry, couldn't help it! This looks all kinds of bad...I predict it will fizzle out at the box office, fast.

And count me as one of the few that kind of liked Stallone's version. It was passable, though definitely not one of his best entries.

sukebanboy
09-09-2012, 04:57 AM
REVIEW over on AICN

This is probably the single most faithful comic book adaptation to ever hit the big screen.
Now, let me be clear here: I don't think it's the greatest comic book movie ever made. That title is clearly reserved for either Dark Knight or Scott Pilgrim, or possibly A History of Violence, and there are a bunch of others (X2, for instance) I'd stack above Dredd too, but in terms of being true to its origins nothing adapted so far has come within a mile of Dredd. This film is exactly what a movie based on your old 2000AD issues should be, and I genuinely can't conceive of a Judge Dredd movie ever being any better than this.

They go on to say it is NOT a perfect movie by any means...but if you want a movie as close to the 2000AD character as possible ...this is it.....small scale and simple story and its only faults are from its less-than-ambitious goals....but as close to the comic as possible......which is EXACTLY how I want it to be....

Sot he hard-core fanboys will hopefully be happy...and hopefully it is entertainiing too...

Now, where is the ROGUE TROOPER movie????

(SIDE NOTE: I know someone who has seen this and they said it was terrible....but he didint like DARK KNIGHT RISES either....)

Ian Jane
09-09-2012, 11:06 AM
You know what? I'd be down for a Rogue Trooper movie. There's potential there.

sukebanboy
09-09-2012, 12:09 PM
You know what? I'd be down for a Rogue Trooper movie. There's potential there.

it always seemed to me that this would be the easiest one to make as they could adapt his story to almost ANY plotline ....and had quite an interesting back story...

Paul L
09-09-2012, 03:14 PM
it always seemed to me that this would be the easiest one to make as they could adapt his story to almost ANY plotline ....and had quite an interesting back story...

I've always been surprised that no-one's tapped into the ROGUE TROOPER mythos for a film, although there was a pretty decent RT videogame a few years ago, wasn't there?

My favourite 2000AD serial was BAD COMPANY. Now, I'd love to see someone bring that to the screen: it'd work quite nicely, I think.

Ian Jane
09-10-2012, 12:15 PM
More on the possible sequels here (http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/dredd/22597/dna-films-chief-on-dredd-2-and-dredd-3).

"Writer Alex Garland has been talking of late about plans for Dredd to be a trilogy of films, even if he isn't able to be involved with them himself to quite the same degree. And now, Andrew Macdonald of DNA Films, has been chatted to Screen Daily about the plans for the Dredd trilogy.

"Alex has a very good idea for Dredd's journey", he admitted. Iterating his belief that the Dredd movie "nailed a style" and that Karl Urban is "an absolutely magic Judge Dredd", Macdonald said that "I am sure that, if it works, it's something that all the distributors will want to do again". DNA Films partnered with IM Global on the first movie.

The plan for Dredd 2 and Dredd 3 would be, once more, to shoot them in South Africa, and presumably keep costs as tightly under control as had been achieved with Dredd. Furthermore, the piece suggests that the Cursed Earth will indeed form the basis of Dredd 2. Alex Garland has voiced the plan to bring the Dark Judges in for Dredd 3, but that's some way away yet."

sukebanboy
09-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Another snippet of a review....

It is a pretty rare gem --- a balls-out action spectacle, a drug tip movie, and a hard-R comic book adaptation. And it blew the pants off the Midnight Madness crowd on the first night of the Toronto Film Festival.

Also , didnt know this....

the director also praised cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle for his ability to shoot those sequences, and specifically his work on ANTICHRIST

Wow..from ANTICHRIST to this!!!

Alex K.
09-12-2012, 09:59 PM
That's not too crazy. Don't forget the cinematographer for Cool as Ice later went to work for Spielberg and got the Oscar for Schindler's list. Also the cinematographer for Ilsa: The Tigress of Siberia also worked with Spielberg quite a few times.

Apronikoff
09-12-2012, 11:06 PM
That's not too crazy. Don't forget the cinematographer for Cool as Ice later went to work for Spielberg and got the Oscar for Schindler's list. Also the cinematographer for Ilsa: The Tigress of Siberia also worked with Spielberg quite a few times.

Yeah, and the great Roger Deakins got his start on Marquis de Sade's Justine (the one with Koo Stark)

bgart13
09-18-2012, 10:59 PM
A pretty positive review:

http://mobile.film.thedigitalfix.com/content/id/75979/dredd.html

Andrew Monroe
09-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Read this (http://www.sfgate.com/movies/article/Dredd-3D-review-Bleak-and-violent-3881063.php) review in today's paper and it sold me pretty well with the references to ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13 and trippy 3D visuals at times. I like the sound of a "hard R" too, this seems to be ultraviolent.

paul h.
09-21-2012, 06:46 PM
This is sounding pretty cool now. I might need to go see it in 3-D.

Ian Jane
11-14-2012, 01:42 PM
Release date for the DVD/Blu-ray is 1/8/13.

http://www.amazon.com/Dredd-Blu-ray-Digital-Copy-UltraViolet/dp/B005LAII80/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=ur2&qid=1352911840&s=movies-tv&sr=1-2&tag=highcom-20

Alex K.
11-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Too bad the film bombed. It was really fucking good and I was looking forward to two more films.

sukebanboy
11-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Too bad the film bombed. It was really fucking good and I was looking forward to two more films.

did it bomb??

I thought it had loads of good reviews....

Apronikoff
11-14-2012, 08:48 PM
did it bomb??

I thought it had loads of good reviews....

Oh yeah. Made 36m on a budget of 45m (not including promotion)...one of the bigger flops of the year commercially.

sukebanboy
11-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Oh yeah. Made 36m on a budget of 45m (not including promotion)...one of the bigger flops of the year commercially.

SHITE......I should have gone to see it a few more times!!!

Alex K.
11-14-2012, 09:08 PM
There's a chance that they could go ahead with a sequel based on strong DVD/Blu sales though.

sukebanboy
11-14-2012, 09:59 PM
There's a chance that they could go ahead with a sequel based on strong DVD/Blu sales though.

fingers crossed..wanna see them do a better story next time....

Ian Jane
11-15-2012, 10:32 AM

Stranger things have happened. They could also wind up doing a series of low budget DTV sequels.

Alex K.
11-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Depends. I remember the 2004 Punisher got a sequel based on DVD sales. Then again it was a moderate hit at the box office too so who knows.

Ian Jane
11-15-2012, 03:38 PM
And here's the press release with the extras:

Adapted by Alex Garland from John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra’s legendary comic book and filmed in stunning 3-D, the hugely anticipated sci-fi thriller directed by Pete Travis comes home when Lionsgate releases DREDD on 3D Blu-ray, DVD, Digital Download, On Demand, and Pay-Per-View on January 8, 2013.

BASED ON THE CELEBRATED COMIC BOOK AND STARRING KARL URBAN

Judgment Is Coming To 3-D Blu-ray Disc, DVD, Digital Download, On Demand And Pay-Per-View January 8 From Lionsgate Home Entertainment

“This, finally, is the Dredd movie comic book fans have been anticipating.”
– Washington Post

“Accentuated by stylish visuals and irreverent humor.”
– USA Today

SANTA MONICA, CA, November 14, 2012 – Adapted by Alex Garland from John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra’s legendary comic book and filmed in stunning 3-D, Dredd, explodes onto 3-D Blu-ray Disc (includes 3-D and standard version of the film plus Digital Copy and UV), DVD (includes Digital Copy and UV), Digital Download, On Demand and Pay-Per-View January 8 from Lionsgate Home Entertainment. Mixing pulse-pounding action with mesmerizing visual effects sequences, the post-apocalyptic thriller hailed by audiences and critics alike stars Karl Urban (Star Trek), Olivia Thirlby (Juno) and Lena Headey (HBO’s “Game Of Thrones”). The hugely anticipated sci-fi thriller directed by Pete Travis (Vantage Point) takes place in a futuristicAmerica.

The Blu-ray Disc and DVD both contain multiple behind-the-scenes featurettes including a look back at the 35 years of Judge Dredd. Dredd will be available on Blu-ray Disc and DVD for the suggested retail price of $39.99 and $29.95, respectively.

The future America is an irradiated wasteland. On its east coast, running from Boston to Washington D.C., lies Mega City One – a vast, violent metropolis where criminals rule the chaotic streets. The only force of order lies with the urban cops called “Judges” who possess the combined powers of judge, jury and instant executioner. Known and feared throughout the city, Dredd (Urban) is the ultimate Judge, challenged with ridding the city of its latest scourge, a dangerous drug called “Slo-Mo,” and the sadistic crime boss Ma-Ma (Headey) who is using it to take over the city.

BLU-RAY/DVD SPECIAL FEATURES*

* "Mega-City Masters": 35 Years of Judge Dredd" featurette
* "Day of Chaos: The Visual Effects of Dredd 3D" featurette
* "Dredd" featurette
* "Dredd's Gear" featurette
* "The 3rd Dimension" featurette
* "Welcome to Peachtrees" featurette
* Dredd Motion Comic Prequel
*Subject to change

PROGRAM INFORMATION
Street Date: January 8, 2013
Price: $39.99 Blu-ray / $29.95 DVD
Title Copyright: Dredd © Rena Films (PTY) Ltd. and Peach Tree Films Ltd. Artwork & Supplementary Materials © 2012 Lions Gate Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Rating: R for strong bloody violence, language, drug use and some sexual content
Run Time: 95 minutes
Type: Theatrical Release
Genre: Action; Science Fiction; Thriller
Blu-ray Closed Captioned: English SDH
DVD Closed Captioned: English
Subtitles: English and Spanish
Blu-ray Format: 1080P High Definition 16x9 Widescreen (2.40:1)
DVD Format: 16x9 Widescreen (2.40:1)
Blu-ray Audio Status: 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio Optimized for 11.1 Neo X, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and English 2.0 Dolby Digital
DVD Audio Status: English and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital

ABOUT LIONSGATE

Lionsgate is a leading global entertainment company with a strong and diversified presence in motion picture production and distribution, television programming and syndication, home entertainment, family entertainment, digital distribution, new channel platforms and international distribution and sales. The Company has built a strong television presence in production of primetime cable and broadcast network series, distribution and syndication of programming and an array of channel assets. Lionsgate currently has 25 shows on 18 networks spanning its primetime production, distribution and syndication businesses, including the multiple Emmy Award-winning Mad Men, the critically acclaimed series Weeds, Nurse Jackie and Boss, the new comedy Anger Management, which has been picked up for another 90 episodes by FX, the network series Nashville, the syndication successes Tyler Perry's House of Payne, its spinoff Meet the Browns, For Better Or Worse, The Wendy Williams Show, Are We There Yet? and the upcoming Orange Is The New Black, an original series for Netflix.

Its feature film business has been fueled by such recent successes as the blockbuster first installment of The Hunger Games franchise, which has already grossed nearly $700 million at the worldwide box office, The Possession, Sinister, The Expendables 2, Cabin in the Woods, Tyler Perry's Madea's Witness Protection and Arbitrage. With the January 2012 acquisition of Summit Entertainment, the Company has now added the blockbuster Twilight Saga, which has grossed more than $2.5 billion at the worldwide box office, to its current slate, giving the Company the two premier young adult franchises in the world. Recent Summit hits include Red, Letters to Juliet, Knowing and the Academy Award-winning Best Picture, The Hurt Locker.

Lionsgate's home entertainment business is an industry leader in box office-to-DVD and box office-to-VOD revenue conversion rate. Lionsgate handles a prestigious and prolific library of approximately 15,000 motion picture and television titles that is an important source of recurring revenue and serves as the foundation for the growth of the Company's core businesses. The Lionsgate and Summit brands remain synonymous with original, daring, quality entertainment in markets around the world.

Ian Jane
12-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Watched this last night and enjoyed it. Karl Urban does well in the lead even if he talks like Clint Eastwood and this felt pretty true to the comics. A bit more story would have probably been a good thing but you can't fault the movie for lack of carnage!

Alex K.
12-25-2012, 06:43 PM
Best action flick since Rambo 4 easily.

AnthonyB
12-28-2012, 10:37 AM
I certainly went into it fearing the worst, I grew up with the Wagner & Grant serial comic strips (the collected volumes) and have a real soft spot for Dredd. As much as I can't say I hated Stallone's take on Dredd, I certainly didn't dislike it. I just don't remember much of it, to be honest. I always remember thinking Arnie should have done it instead of Stallone, he has the chin and Dredd, as a character, isn't far removed from the ice cold Terminator.

So, the new Dredd - a bit of hype but not much where I'm based in Italy. For once I was seeing a film I really knew nothing about - I hadn't seen the trailers or any clips online to spoil anything. What did I get? Well, yeah, it's not bad at all really. The cinematography is something else - I don't think I've ever seen that palette of colours in any other movies - it certainly looks unique, which was very refreshing. But what really elevated it to something special, for me at least, was the startling parallel to one of my favourite 1980's trash fests, 'Enemy Territory' - the general premise is identical: Take a group of people and lock them in incredibly run down tower block and watch them try to escape. I do wonder if it was inspired by Enemy Territory, but it's such an obscure film that I somewhat doubt it - I can't imagine anyone pitching a 36 million dollar movie to a load of Hollywood execs based on that alone!

Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F0DJvuz8Go

sukebanboy
12-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Hey, I remember ENEMY TERRITORY, it was heavily advertised in the UK when it got a VHS release....and as the writer of DREDD is British, you MAY have a good point!

Scott
01-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Finally saw this, thought it was pretty good. Nice and violent and gritty. Saw it flat but I can see how the 3D would look cool during all the slow mo drug shots. Too bad it didn't do all that well, I wouldn't mind seeing a series in this mode. Best action film since Nu RAMBO? I'd give that honor to the two recent Universal Soldier movies but it's definitely up there.

Ian Jane
01-10-2013, 02:29 AM
The cinematography is something else - I don't think I've ever seen that palette of colours in any other movies - it certainly looks unique, which was very refreshing.

The use of color in the movie was, for lack of a cornier term, kind of pretty. Made it more than just a shoot'em up for me, almost made it arty in spots. I see you're Terminator comparison too. Wouldn't have made it myself but once you noted it,yeah, it's definitely there.

Terry C
01-10-2013, 03:50 AM
It definitely reminded me of Robocop, aside from the obvious. Liked it quite a bit and hope that they actually make a sequel, though not sure that will happen with the box office and everything.

paul h.
01-11-2013, 12:43 AM
but I can see how the 3D would look cool during all the slow mo drug shots.

Yes. Those were awesome in 3D. Also some of the slow-mo violence was flying waaaaayyyy off the screen.

On the downside, visually, I also noticed (and was slightly distracted by) some digital artifacts during some of the darker scenes. It wasn't a constant thing, but more like one camera they used in multi camera set-ups seemed not quite up to snuff for handling intense contrast/black levels. Not a huge turn off, but I did notice it.

Andrew Monroe
01-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Watched this recently and really liked it...I think it knocks PUNISHER WAR ZONE of the top of my list of the best gritty, violent comic book movies. Makes me regret not going to see it in the theater. I hope this does well enough in DVD/BD sales to merit a sequel.

Dom D
01-12-2013, 06:02 PM
I liked this too. The slow-mo got boring after a while (a very short while for me actually) but loved the character. Dredd's got some good lines. Shame he doesn't have more of them. Watched Lockout on the same day which I believe sunk like a rock as well. Incredible how much more skillful Dredd is when you put them together.

So has it definitely been said we're not getting a series of these? I'd even try and make it out to a cinema if they make another one.

Ian Jane
01-18-2013, 02:34 PM
There might be hope for a sequel yet.

Dredd Buries Frankenweenie In Home Video Sales! (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dredd-buries-frankenweenie-home-video-413109)

"Lionsgate generally dominates the charts this time of year, taking advantage of the fourth-quarter blowout by the major studios to release some of its recent theatricals in January and February.

The new year is no exception, with the mini-major topping both national sales charts the week ending Jan. 13 with Dredd, a sci-fi actioner that earned just $13.4 million in theaters. The theatrical underperformer – a reboot of the 1995 Sylvester Stallone film Judge Dredd – debuted at No. 1 on both the Nielsen VideoScan First Alert sales chart, which tracks overall disc sales, and Nielsen’s dedicated Blu-ray Disc sales chart."

Mark Tolch
01-18-2013, 04:38 PM
I said this to Ian already, but if Anderson is so psychic, how come she didn't know she would pass? And if helmets interfere with the psychic ability, how can she read the minds of the other judges?

:-D I liked it. I thought it would've been easy to go all Robocop, but they tried to make it interesting. The other thing i generally dislike in these films is the "solving some huge crime problem in the course of a day" plot, but they diminished that nicely with the end and all of the different apartment blocks.

Terry C
01-18-2013, 05:21 PM
Mark - I think she just assumed that she didn't pass. Earlier on in the film when she read Dredd's mind she saw how judgmental he was, thus not wanting to hear the rejection.

Mark Tolch
01-18-2013, 07:14 PM
That's a fair assessment.

sukebanboy
01-23-2013, 07:45 PM
Told ya....

The verdict is in and Lionsgate (LGF), a leading global entertainment company, announced today that the home entertainment release of DREDD claimed the number one spot on the DVD sell-through and Blu-ray charts with 650,000 units sold, making it the best-selling new release title of the year. Blu-ray units accounted for nearly 50% of week 1 POS at retail. In addition, the critically acclaimed thriller, starring Karl Urban (Star Trek) as the titular character Judge Dredd , was the top film download for the week, outpacing all other titles in digital sales as well.

Roll on the sequel.....Director and writer say they are both up for a sequel....

Roderick
01-23-2013, 07:50 PM
I missed Dredd in theaters but really enjoyed it on DVD. If they make a sequel I will drag my lazy butt to the theater to see it.

Toyboy
01-23-2013, 10:33 PM
JUDGE DEATH!!!

JUDGE DEATH!!!

JUDGE DEATH!!!

Roderick
01-23-2013, 10:37 PM
^THIS

sukebanboy
01-23-2013, 11:58 PM
Apparently the THIRD one in the planned trilogy WILL feature the DARK JUDGES....

Mark Tolch
01-24-2013, 08:51 AM
JUDGE DEATH!!!

JUDGE DEATH!!!

JUDGE DEATH!!!

See, i was thinking the same thing. But then i realized that the potential to really, REALLY screw it up is so great, that maybe it's not a good idea.

Terry C
01-24-2013, 09:00 AM
Yeah I agree, they could save that sweetness cake for a third film though. Yah know, to get our winkie blood flowin'.

Toyboy
01-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Cursed Earth!

Cursed Earth!

Cursed Earth!

In the Cursed Earth where the mutants dwell, there is no law...just a living hell.

The Silly Swede
02-07-2013, 12:17 PM
So, latest on the board, I finally saw this. I liked it. But the slowmotion coolness just for the sake of cooleness in 3D got really annoying really fast. Fuck you 3D!!!!!

Alex K.
02-07-2013, 12:27 PM
I thought the slow motion looked great in 2D and didn't seem obnoxious. It wasn't like in other 3D movies where people just randomly throw shit at the screen (remember that yoyo scene in Friday the 13th Part 3?) it seemed more artistic rather than exploiting the 3D gimmick.

The Silly Swede
02-07-2013, 12:30 PM
I thought the slow motion looked great in 2D and didn't seem obnoxious. It wasn't like in other 3D movies where people just randomly throw shit at the screen (remember that yoyo scene in Friday the 13th Part 3?) it seemed more artistic rather than exploiting the 3D gimmick.

Just because it was better and less gimmicky then Resident Evil 4,5 and like... Drive Angry, does not make it less annoying. Slow motion without purpose is annoying IMO.

Scott
02-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Slow motion without purpose is annoying IMO.

It wasn't without purpose, it was to experience what the drug was like. This is one of those rare times I thought slow motion actually have a reason for being. I didn't see it in 3-D tho, maybe it's more annoying that way?

Toyboy
02-07-2013, 02:03 PM
****SPROYLERSS******

I don't know...there is a purpose to the slow motion, but it's the same purpose served by two men carrying a pane of glass across the street during a car chase or a cart of cream pies being wheeled into a dining room while two fat men argue: even if you spend 15 minutes explaining the reason for the glass to be delivered at that moment it's still pretty hackneyed.

They telegraph the ending with those two dudes being thrown off the balcony at the beginning - and of course we don't see their Slo-mo reaction - so by the time MaMa gets hers in the end I just thought "Well, this'll take a a few minutes."

DREDD was okay - better than many other comic book films - but all it really did was make me want a more ambitious sequel. It's a good start.

Alex K.
02-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Whenever I see you post I think of Shawn Michael's entrance theme.

Toyboy
02-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Like William R once said, "You've got to super-kick your inner-Jannetty." :up:

The Silly Swede
02-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Phew! Thank god I was not alone. Toyboy to the rescue!

I was even beginning to think I might be dizzy and in some sort of special ADHD-mode from slipping and faceplanting twice today on the fresh layer of ice that have appeared since the winter returned for its second act. Luckily though I am a bit round and soft in my body so the only thing bruised was my ego.

Ian Jane
02-07-2013, 02:51 PM
I was even beginning to think I might be dizzy and in some sort of special ADHD-mode from slipping and faceplanting twice today on the fresh layer of ice that have appeared since the winter returned for its second act. Luckily though I am a bit round and soft in my body so the only thing bruised was my ego.

That would have been awesome to see in slow motion.

Roderick
02-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Most things in life are better in slo-mo.

Dom D
02-07-2013, 03:56 PM
So, latest on the board, I finally saw this. I liked it. But the slowmotion coolness just for the sake of cooleness in 3D got really annoying really fast. Fuck you 3D!!!!!

It got to me too. I kept waiting for it to become a plot point. You know Dredd getting jabbed with it and then having to fight the last showdown in slow motion. Not that I necessarily want to see that but it really felt like they were telegraphing something of the sort. But nope. No point to it at all. Just looks like the kind of stuff the 3d animation guys over on vimeo jerk themselves off to.

The Silly Swede
02-07-2013, 05:05 PM
That would have been awesome to see in slow motion.

Yes. As it serves a purpose. Slapstick comedy.

Toyboy
02-07-2013, 05:57 PM
To be fair, I was agreeing with both Scott and the Swede - there was a purpose for the slo-mo, but slo-mo is overused regardless and I wished they'd come up with some other type of drug. Maybe one that makes things go fast while "Yakety Sax" plays.

Scott
02-07-2013, 07:27 PM
To be fair, I was agreeing with both Scott and the Swede - there was a purpose for the slo-mo, but slo-mo is overused regardless and I wished they'd come up with some other type of drug. Maybe one that makes things go fast while "Yakety Sax" plays.

They could call it the Benny Pill, after Benny Hill. Which sounds like something that would actually be in the comic.

In the end I'm more in line with your earlier comment, as ok-ish as this was I'm hoping for something more ambitious.

Ian Jane
03-27-2013, 10:42 AM
So it seems Dredd 2 is unlikely, but there is possibly a short film in the works kinda like what Thomas Jane did with The Punisher.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/dredd/24987/dredd-2-all-but-dead-possible-short-films-happening

sukebanboy
03-27-2013, 02:17 PM
So it seems Dredd 2 is unlikely, but there is possibly a short film in the works kinda like what Thomas Jane did with The Punisher.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/dredd/24987/dredd-2-all-but-dead-possible-short-films-happening

There is no justice!:biggrin:

Dom D
06-20-2013, 07:11 PM
In the local paper today there was an interview with Urban. Of a Dredd sequel he said "I did have a meeting with Alex Garland while I was over in London; let's say it's not off the agenda".

Ian Jane
10-07-2014, 09:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYrgnKDEbdU&list=PLIEIzxlknp8p3N8uUtOrDW78 _4j_yiUo-

sukebanboy
10-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Also in Dredd news...

The producer of 2012's Dredd has announced a seven-part spin-off web series, which will be available for free...

What we don't yet know is whether Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby will reprise their roles; Thomas Jane played the Punisher again in Dirty Laundry, so it's certainly a possibility. What's clear is that Shankar has a real, genuine passion for the Dredd universe.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/dredd/32389/seven-part-dredd-web-series-announced

Ian Jane
07-15-2016, 08:54 AM
Rewatched this the other night for the first time since the Blu-ray came out and I think it holds up pretty well. Karl Urban is just so perfect in the part. It's definitely light on plot but the fact that he does the character so well means that the movie can coast a bit in that department, particularly when the action scenes happen as often as they do and with the intensity that they do.

I hope the recent rumblings of some movement on a sequel pan out.

Cinematic Shocks
07-15-2016, 10:18 AM
I went cinema to see this FOUR TIMES! Twice in 2D and twice in 3D. The 3D was actually really well done for this film.

Alex K.
07-15-2016, 02:48 PM
It's one of the best recent action movies. I'd put it up there right alongside Rambo 4, Fury Road, and Deadpool.