PDA

View Full Version : RZA's Man With The Iron Fists

Ian Jane
06-27-2012, 12:23 PM
I hadn't heard about this until RZA sent this out on Twitter - here's the first image from his new movie, which he co-wrote with Eli Roth (?).

OK, rad. Eyeball punching is always great. So what's it about?

Wikipedia says:

"In feudal China, a blacksmith who makes weapons for a small village is put in the position where he must defend himself and his fellow villagers."

So it's a period piece I guess. Dig the cast:

Russell Crowe as The Baddest Man Alive
Dave Batista as Brass Body
RZA
Lucy Liu as Madame Blossom
Rick Yune as Zen Yi
Byron Mann as Silver Lion
Pam Grier
Cung Le as Bronze Lion
Jin Au-Yeung as Chan
Jamie Chung as Lady Silk

What? So this is a period martial arts film directed by RZA and co-written by Roth starring Russell Crowe in the lead and fucking Batista? And Pam Grier?

Haha. This is awesome. Or horrible. I don't know yet. Apparantly it's wrapped and the trailer will debut on IGN on Friday.

Paul Casey
06-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Sounds shitty enough to be a Tarantino movie.

Jimmy Simard
06-27-2012, 02:57 PM
If it's a period piece why there are black and white people in China from 1046 BC trough 206 BC?

Todd Jordan
06-27-2012, 04:23 PM
History doesn't apply movies, Jimmy. Unless they want it too.

I'll give it a whirl, but only on the hopes that it is unintentionally funny.

Ian Jane
06-27-2012, 04:30 PM
I'm hoping it has more eyeball punching than just what we see in the still.

sukebanboy
06-27-2012, 08:40 PM
That is a pretty solid cast for what could be an unintentional embarrassment fest for all involved...Wonder why it hasnt been more heavily publicised??.....Like most, this is the first I heard of it...and MrRoth is NOT usually that quiet when he has a project going....

Even if it s crap, it should be entertaining enough!!!

Ian Jane
06-28-2012, 10:52 AM
One sheet image surfaced online today...

Paul Casey
06-28-2012, 12:24 PM
I will admit, I like the tagline...and Lucy's still got it.

sukebanboy
06-28-2012, 08:48 PM
I will be watchign it...no matter how it turns out..:up:

sukebanboy
06-28-2012, 08:55 PM
TRAILER.....

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/06/28/the-man-with-the-iron-fists-red-band-trailer-debut

The Silly Swede
06-29-2012, 01:24 AM
It looks horribly bad! I cannot wait :)

Ian Jane
06-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Yeah, this looks awesome in the best/worst way possible. What's going on with Batista? He's a bronze man or something? Aside from the fact that there's obvioulsy a lot of CGI blood (something that always bugs me), this looks like a lot of stupid fun.

Robin Bougie
06-29-2012, 09:09 AM
Considering that RZA is as much of a hong kong film historian as he is (the man knows his shit, big time), I would be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Will totally check this out.

Too bad about the CGI blood, though. Like Ian, I'm not a fan of it at all.

Lars Jacobsson
06-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Wow, this looks really, really fun! I'll definitively check it out.

Randy G
06-30-2012, 03:19 AM
As Robin says, RZA knows his stuff, I was sceptical about him doing the commentary for some of the Dragon Dynasty releases but he displays a real deep knowledge and love of the genre. Of course this will probably still stink but maybe it will stink in just the right way.

Ian Jane
07-12-2012, 03:06 PM
MTV (http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2012/07/11/lucy-liu-man-with-the-iron-fists-exclusive/) (gag) just released this promo still.

Ian Jane
07-27-2012, 04:28 PM
An update on the Wu Disciples Blog (http://wudisciples.blogspot.com/2012/07/power-friday-rza-on-making-of-man-with.html) has a cool video interview with RZA up today about the making of the movie.

Ian Jane
08-09-2012, 12:00 PM
New trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOCVE9ykh9Y&feature=share

Randy G
08-10-2012, 05:11 AM
The budget on this looks a lot higher than I expected. I think I detect some Chang Cheh influence there with all the blades.

sukebanboy
08-11-2012, 08:10 AM
looking good.....Just have to try and get over the main guys "rapster's" style voice and Lucy Lui's bad acting and then I will probably enjoy this 100%

Ian Jane
08-28-2012, 12:00 PM
There's an official (?) site up for the movie now with some cool stills and other blurbs about it that some might find interesting.

http://www.rzaironfists.com/post/30344837731/x-blade

sukebanboy
10-26-2012, 07:02 AM
new footage and SHORT interviews....

Looks like this one is going STORY OF RIKI violent from this footage!!

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/9279263/the_man_with_the_iron_fists_a_slice_above_exclusiv e_featurette/

Ian Jane
10-26-2012, 09:48 AM
Nice. If this is half as much fun as it looks like it's going to be, RZA might be my new favorite director ever!

sukebanboy
10-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Nice. If this is half as much fun as it looks like it's going to be, RZA might be my new favorite director ever!

I STILL feel that this one could go either way...incredibly bad ass....or just incredibly bad.....at least it wont do either way half-assed!!!

And RZA seems to like saying that people are gonna f*** other people up......Let's just hope HE hasnt f***ed up this movie!!

47lab
11-11-2012, 01:44 AM
I saw this other night with the wife because she's a big fan of Rick Yune & Daniel Wu. Now if only this movie had Will Yun Lee then it would've been a trifecta. :funny: Speaking of which she is probably going to drag me to see the RED DAWN remake. :pissed: Anyway, I digress -- this movie was just godawful! :down: I kept looking at my watch wondering when this travesty would end. I can't imagine sitting through the sequel as was originally envisioned by RZA with his 4 hour cut. Everything about this movie reeks of being helmed by a low level amateur. The fight scenes were terrible & the storyline completely disjointed with the ham acting job by Russell Crowe being the sole source of humor in this tired drek. I haven't even mentioned the so called acting by RZA...stick to hip hop because he makes DMX look like Sidney Poitier. Ok, I have no doubt that RZA knows his stuff regarding martial arts film history & such but his knowledge certainly didn't translate into a worthy let alone halfway entertaining paean to that era of kung fu flicks.

sukebanboy
11-11-2012, 04:00 AM
Dear 47lab,

your review of this movie gets a 2 out of five because you didn't CLEARLY state views on this moive in a way that people would understand....too subtle for most people to get LOL!!!

Seriously though...i am truly gutted with your review of this movie......I knew it could go either way...but I was hoping it would at least be interesting!!!

Ian Jane
11-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Yeah, me too. I'll still check this out on video though.

Scott
11-11-2012, 11:43 AM
He should have cast Michael Jai White instead of himself. But yeah, as much as I love Wu I'm not really interested in seeing any of them act. Although Shyheim was pretty good in ORIGINAL GANGSTERS when he was a kid. The talent doesn't always translate. Look at Outkast and how aweful an actor Andre3000 is. I understand the need as an artist to want to try different things but a little perspective is important.

RZA did a short film/extended video for DOMESTIC VIOLENCE off IN STEREO, the first Bobby Digital album. It's more lo-fi than IRON FISTS, shot cheap on video. To me that's Wu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KISU66F_IIM

He also shot a Bobby Digital movie around the same time that's super low budget and hilarious. There was a trailer floating around the internet but it looks like all the links were taking down because they're prepping it finally for a DVD release. This shit's almost 20 years old so I wouldn't hold my breath. Imagine if the Wu got together with some camcorders and pretended to be superheroes fighting cops in New York alleys and that's what it was. Budget of zero dollars. Less than zero actually.

I was hoping his kung-fu movie would be more like that. Super low budget and shot on old video equipment. But like their current music it's far too overproduced and not punk enough. Oh well, at least he got to hang out with Russell Crow and Tarantino. I know I should be happy, this type of shit is actually keeping them relevant. The group (six of 'em) did a song for the soundtrack and performed on Jimmy Fallon a couple weeks back. It was the first time they were on network tv performing in over ten years, since the release of IRON FLAG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FloM6RO1zWQ&feature=related

But just like I never bothered with seeing IDLEWILD, and probably never will, I'm gonna have to take a pass at MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS. As much as it pains me (not really), I saw it's wackness coming a mile away.

Ian Jane
11-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Method Man starred in a fairly low key movie called The Mortician (it was made to look like a pretty standard horror movie, - it's not) and was actually very good in the lead.

Scott
11-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Method Man starred in a fairly low key movie called The Mortician (it was made to look like a pretty standard horror movie, - it's not) and was actually very good in the lead.

He's good in THE WIRE too. He always been the most natural. He also had the most promise, music-wise, and hasn't really put out a good album other than his debut and features on the Clan albums. Raekown's been in a lot of straight to dvd hip-hop movie garbage.

47lab
11-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Dear 47lab,

your review of this movie gets a 2 out of five because you didn't CLEARLY state views on this moive in a way that people would understand....too subtle for most people to get LOL!!!

Seriously though...i am truly gutted with your review of this movie......I knew it could go either way...but I was hoping it would at least be interesting!!!

Yeah, me too. I'll still check this out on video though.

It's just one opinion and you know what they say about opinions. :biggrin: But seriously, I don't want to deter you guys from checking this out based on my review. You fellas might actually like it or at the very least, enjoy more than I did. My wife actually enjoyed it but I gleaned from our convo that it was probably due more to the presence of the aforementioned "hunks" than with the movie itself. Somehow the spirit and essence of what made those golden era kung fu flicks was missing in this one -- perhaps if it was played as a comedy from the get go, it might've appealed to me more but the fact that it was played straight just made it seem like a bad parody in a lot ways.

@ Scott from Korea

Are you the "famous" expatriate Scott of BUG magazine fame? Just curious because I was an avid reader of that magazine back in the day.

Scott
11-11-2012, 05:12 PM
@ Scott from Korea

Are you the "famous" expatriate Scott of BUG magazine fame? Just curious because I was an avid reader of that magazine back in the day.

haha, nope. I'm not really from Korea. I'm in Chicago with no fame.

Roderick
11-11-2012, 05:38 PM

But he is a rad cartoonist and should be famous: http://www-dreamsicle.blogspot.com/

Scott
11-11-2012, 05:51 PM
We should all be famous.

sukebanboy
11-11-2012, 09:36 PM
It's just one opinion and you know what they say about opinions. :biggrin: But seriously, I don't want to deter you guys from checking this out based on my review. .

Too late mate...we have it all down here in black and white.....consider me deterred!!!:biggrin:

Scott
12-09-2012, 03:02 PM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/564926_10151246775110540_14930190_n.jpg

Ian Jane
12-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Woh.

Ian Jane
12-17-2012, 11:05 AM
DVD/Blu-ray set for 2/12/13. Watch it with your honey on Valentine's Day.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0090SI42Y/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0090SI42Y&linkCode=as2&tag=cognitrespon-20

Ian Jane
01-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Some details on the Blu-ray release:

Technical Specs:
-Blu ray/DVD/Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Video Resolution/Codec:
-1080p/AVC MPEG-4

Aspect Ratio(s):
-2.40:1

Audio Formats:
-English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
-French DTS 5.1
-Spanish DTS 5.1

Subtitles/Captions:
-English, French, Spanish

Supplements:
-Deleted Scenes
-A Path to the East
-A Look Inside The Man with the Iron Fists
-On the Set with RZA

Ian Jane
01-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Watched the first few minutes last night just to check out the disc quality and I have to say the opening sequence with Wu Tang playing over top of that crazy fight made me smile a big dopey smile.

sukebanboy
01-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Watched the first few minutes last night just to check out the disc quality and I have to say the opening sequence with Wu Tang playing over top of that crazy fight made me smile a big dopey smile.

Give us a nudge if this quality manages to be sustained throughout the movie!:biggrin:

sukebanboy
03-17-2013, 10:10 AM
Right , well just finished watching this one...

Overall I had a LOT of fun with this one...Russell Crowe having fun, Rick Yune being badass...even Daniel Yu hamming it up!!!
..The direction was good...the fights were a little "modern" and choppy..but lots of blood

The only 2 things that spoiled this movie were....

1. RZA.....his acting was pretty bad and he stuck out quite a lot compared to the other professionals around him

2. The VOICE OVER and use of modern swear words....RZA's voice nearly put me to sleep and whenever he used a bad word it took me out of the movie....and the voice over seem to come on every 5 mins to explain things..Just let it flow man!!!!

I would maybe suggest that RZA remains BEHIND the camera for the next one.....and if he does, I would be very eager to see it!

Ian Jane
03-17-2013, 01:05 PM
I dug it too. A lot of people hated this movie but I guess they wanted something different out of it than I did. I didn't expect it to be good, I expected it to be nutty. And it was. RZA doesn't have a whole lot of range but he's watchable enough. Crowe totally steals the show though. And Liu is pretty rad in it too.

Derrick King
03-17-2013, 03:36 PM
I wonder if the voice over was something RZA always intended to have in the film or if it was added because they cut so much out of the film.

Jason C
03-17-2013, 09:49 PM
I'm glad to hear some positive comments. Most of what I've read has been negative, and I am beyond certain I will enjoy it.

sukebanboy
03-17-2013, 11:03 PM
I wonder if the voice over was something RZA always intended to have in the film or if it was added because they cut so much out of the film.

Not sure.....I found a lot of it to be "...and he is one day ride from our village" type voiceover..While the visuals are showing him riding a horse.....

Or else they would explain what most people can work out from the plot line.....

The movie was fine as it is...not sure what was cut out of it (I heard a lot)...but i am guessing htat was just the rough cut...and this is the edited-down-to-make-it-watchable length..Not sure we missed anything that would have added too much more to the story....

Derrick King
03-18-2013, 01:02 AM
I haven't seen it yet (the absolute hate it got, and its quick exit from the theaters = me missing it) but I remember reading a rumor that RZA wanted to release it as two films, but they said no, so I'm guessing that a lot was cut.

sukebanboy
03-18-2013, 05:43 AM
I think if you like this kind of movie...You will "get" it and enjoy watching it.

i can imagine the regular Joe walking into this one and thinking WTF is this!!!

This movie wasnt made for Regular Joe....but for people who "know" what they are going to see....

NB..From what I saw, would be pushing it to make two films out of this...Was a pretty straightforward revenge movie....ACTUALLY there were TWO different revenge stories going on in the movie...So I GUESS that would have been the two movies..The two different tales of revenge....

Would have been a bit dragged out though I think!

Got me thinking now......^_^

The Silly Swede
03-18-2013, 06:32 AM
So, what all of you are saying, is that this film is bad because RZA is black?

Dom D
03-18-2013, 07:24 AM
I liked it. Full of sound and fury and signifying fuck all but it made for a good time in front of the tv. Honestly couldnt follow it because the dialogue came through mixed so low against the effects on my system but visually it's a lot of fun. I thought Russ was great in this for a complete tool

Derrick King
03-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Once I get my pile of unwatched Blu-rays and DVDs down to a more manageable level, I'll pick this up and give it a spin.

47lab
03-19-2013, 12:34 AM

But he is a rad cartoonist and should be famous: http://www-dreamsicle.blogspot.com/

Nice! Quite the talent indeed. I kind of figured you weren't J. Scott Burgeson because I don't recall J. Scott ever showing any affinity towards Wu-Tang in his writing. :funny:

The Silly Swede
06-28-2013, 05:17 PM
So I finally rented this. And yeah..... I am torn. This had potential for greatness but it was botched. Russel Crowe was awesome, and the action was fun. But Lucy Liu looks like a chinese barbie-doll with her facelifted plasticness and RZA.... well, he is fucking useless. And the fucking rap music and constant voice overs.... pure incompetence.

I wish for a Russel Crowe spinoff though. That would be rad.

Scott
07-04-2013, 11:44 PM
This is the trailer for the the BOBBY DIGITAL movie that RZA and the Wu made back in 1998. Supposedly he's releasing it this year but it's way past time and I still wouldn't hold my breathe. Only of interest to heads, this was the last gasp of when Wu were raw and a very far cry from the bs acting directing he's doing now. I was hoping MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS would be less refined like this but once Tarantino started co-signing him he lost his edge. I'm sure he feels like the stuff he's doing now is more professional but I would say most Wu-Tang fans would rather see something less refined, like this.

The music is better too. Last Golden Era album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XwMNc2j9nQs

Ian Jane
11-29-2014, 05:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAbaUE-Ge5c

The Silly Swede
11-29-2014, 07:14 PM
But.... but ..... why?

Dom D
11-29-2014, 11:35 PM
Good question. Buget on the first on was 15 mill. Total worldwide takings a tick under 20 mill. Someone lost a fortune on that. Why spring for another?

sukebanboy
11-30-2014, 08:55 AM
Haha..I see RZA is not directing hte sequel...Its down to this man...

Roel Reiné

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004152/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

and it looks like no cinema release...only Blu ray DVD and on demand!!

The Silly Swede
11-30-2014, 11:33 AM
Roel Reiné is fucking horrible. He is like a parody of all those 90s directors who tried to make action films like MTV videos, but Roel is like that but on crack.

sukebanboy
07-03-2015, 07:38 AM
I just saw PART 2.....and enjoyed it for what it is....

The music still doesnt really fit (however good it is!!)...but RZA's acting has improved a bit......The voiceovers have been toned down...but still pretty awkwardly spoken..and there are a few script howlers in there..and the fighting can be a little..erm....arm-swingy-missed-contact-by-a-mile sometimes.....but overall it is was a decent homage to the old Chinese movies that RZA obviously loves so much...complete with varying levels of acting ability:funny:!!!

Watch the opening credits...apparently the movie was edited by CHUCK NORRIS!!!!