PDA

View Full Version : Renato Polselli - Which films are available on DVD?

Wllm Clys
06-28-2012, 09:53 AM
I've seen Black Magic Rites and Delirium. I'm dying to see some of his other films, I've seen trailers and extracts of some and it looks amazing (Oscenita, Mania, ...). Which of his films are available on DVD?

Andrew Monroe
06-28-2012, 10:09 AM
According to a post from Ian in the relevant thread, REVELATIONS OF A PSYCHIATRIST IN A WORLD OF PERVERSE SEX is coming around July 1. I have a fansubbed copy of it, not really my cuppa but I will probably buy this to support the effort. I really want MANIA too, maybe one day...THE VAMPIRE AND THE BALLERINA and VAMPIRE OF THE OPERA would be nice too, I have copies from trades but would love both of them to get nice dvd releases.

Marshall Crist
06-28-2012, 01:59 PM
VAMPIRE OF THE OPERA/ORGIE DES VAMPIRES just came out on French DVD, subtitled. It's pretty wild for a film of its vintage; definitely has the Polselli stamp on it. There are non-English-friendly DVDs of VAMPIRE AND THE BALLERINA and PSYCHIATRIST. Looking forward to upgrading to subtitled on the latter.

george n
06-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Unfortunately the new scandanavian dvd of 'revelations of a phychiatrist...' has been postponed till december,not happy as i was really looking forward to it.Even though the italian noshame dvd of 'vampire and the ballerina' isnt english friendly,it was an amazing disc,great transfer and loads of extras,subs are easily available on the net.

One more that is available is 'torino centale del vizio' which is available in a heavily edited shit fullscreen vhs transfer as 'lust' from mya,avoid at all costs.

Apart from praying for 'Mania' finally getting a release, I would also kill for an official release of the harder french edit of delirium,as far as i know it was only available on a french vhs,how dope would that be if blue underground released a blu ray of that beast. The hard version available on their current dvd is quite extreme already but apparently the french version goes a lot further.

Details of the delayed 'revelations....' dvd - http://www.anotherworldent.com/index.php?n=catalogue&s=show&idem=0f6289bfa6468876

One other thing to take note of is the new run time of the dvd which is now 98mins as opposed to the old shendene vhs/dvd run time of 88min. Which could well mean they have licensed the restored version marc morris created at redemption in the early 90's. It never saw the light of day due to the content.Exciting stuff

Dom D
06-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Ooh didn't know about Vampire At The Opera. It shall be mine.

I've got the French cut of Delirium on a DVDR somewhere. It's pretty missable. The hardcore scenes just being obvious inserts that slow things down. Although they do finally clear up the mystery of what it is that Hargitay does to his wife with that rolling pin thing she's so frightened of.

Mania is at the top of my most wanted list. There are a few people about who claim to have seen it recently but no one can point me to a copy so I'm not sure whether to believe them or not.

Marshall Crist
06-29-2012, 12:25 AM
Ah, but does it explain what in the hell the rolling pin thing actually IS? I also can't quite figure out what sort of interaction is happening between that knife and the girl in the cellar, as the red herring guy peeps through a hole in the wall.

As for the people who say they saw MANIA, I think there may have been a screening in Europe?

Dom D
06-29-2012, 03:14 AM
As for the people who say they saw MANIA, I think there may have been a screening in Europe?

Right you are... A little bit of digging reveals it was found and screened in Rome 3 years and apparently No Shame at one point had it lined up for release. Hopefully someone else picks it up. Here's the trailer for the time being. Looks Delirium-esque. In other words awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CycwfwM-Zlo

Andrew Monroe
06-29-2012, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the tip about VAMPIRE OF THE OPERA, Marshall. I will be grabbing that too. And George, you reminded me that I actually have LUST (my memory...sad really) and have watched it. It was godawful, that may be why I tried to forget it. Maybe it's better in its uncut form but what I saw really didn't call to mind Polselli at all.

Marshall Crist
06-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Glad you guys are checking out VAMPIRE OF THE OPERA. I JUST got mine and have only spot-checked it, but it plays like a berserk version of VAMPIRE AND THE BALLERINA. Be warned that some scenes are inserted from an inferior source, but, you know, by any means necessary.

Wllm Clys
06-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Thanks for all the helpful info! I'll have to track down a copy of Vampire of the Opera. I wonder why Mania isn't out on DVD. Because of the graphic contents? Impossible to find the negatives? Buying the rights is too expensive?

Andrew Monroe
06-30-2012, 12:01 PM
I ordered VAMPIRE OF THE OPERA from Diabolik yesterday, it was back in stock.

Wllm Clys
06-30-2012, 02:13 PM
It doesn't show up in any of my searches. Maybe it's gone already?

Marshall Crist
06-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Maybe try "Orgie des Vampires?" It was there on the first page of "Latest Arrvials" last night.

Marshall Crist
06-30-2012, 02:47 PM
I wonder why Mania isn't out on DVD.

I've found that abject stupidity is the reason for a lot of things in this world.

Nah, it's probably money. KICKSTARTER!

Watched VAMPIRE OF THE OPERA last night. The A/V quality is pretty rough, especially in the frequent inserts from the more-complete Italian material. The movie is very much in the VAMPIRE AND THE BALLERINA/PLAYGIRLS AND THE VAMPIRE/HORRORS OF SPIDER ISLAND/BLOODY PIT OF HORROR tradition, but just goes so much further in terms of utter insanity.

Andrew Monroe
06-30-2012, 02:49 PM
http://www.diabolikdvd.com/category/Horror-[sl]-Thriller/L'Orgie-des-Vampires-DVD-(Il-mostro-dell'opera)-(PAL-Region-2).html 5 left as of right now.

I have an Italian only copy of this, can't wait to see it with subs.All those films you mentioned are right up my alley, Marshall.

Edit - I gues it has english audio? Cool.

Marshall Crist
07-01-2012, 01:07 AM
If you are talking about VAMPIRE OF THE OPERA, I'm pretty sure there are just English subs on the disc. I didn't go looking for an English dub, but I am 99% sure there isn't one.

Andrew Monroe
07-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Ah, the listing for VAMPIRE OF THE OPERA says "French, Italian and English Audio Options" but I was wondering if this was correct.

Marshall Crist
07-16-2012, 10:35 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Magic-Rites-Remastered-Blu-ray/dp/B0083Q4JX2/ref=sr_1_4?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1342492314&sr=1-4&keywords=Foreign+Film+-+Italian

Love that TV GUIDE quote on the cover.

Richard--W
07-17-2012, 03:56 PM
I've been meaning to take a look at this director's films. The only I've seen, on television, was The Vampire and the Ballerina. Which edition of The Reincarnation of Isabel should I get? They Cheezy Flix or the Redemption?

Ian Jane
07-17-2012, 04:01 PM
The Redemption. Be aware though that it's slated for Blu-ray release 8/21/12, so you might want to wait a month.

Wllm Clys
07-09-2013, 04:25 PM
So, what happened to the release of 'Revelations of a Psychiatrist'?

Gav M
07-10-2013, 12:44 AM
So, what happened to the release of 'Revelations of a Psychiatrist'?

Looks like it's in limbo at the moment, according to the AWE site it's got a December 2013 release date :confused:

Wanyon
09-21-2013, 05:55 PM
MANIA has not been released because the negatives are (as far as I have been aware over the years) missing. Nobody knows where they are. I have a very (very) flimsy lead on them (and I mean possibly) but after several decades the likelihood of them turning up are slight. There is always the chance that someone has them stored away safely though and has just refused to share that information. There was the story that one of the people who financed the film ran off with the cans of negative and the prints after its problems so they could be kicking around somewhere. But for now, I am going to look into this possible location at some point and see if there is any trace...
Funny thing is, Renato looked in many vaults/archives/labs for the negatives and even for any prints, video masters, etc. and never found anything...not even in the national archives where a print should have been stored safely. But when he passed away, all of a sudden a print turns up from out of nowhere and is screened at a retrospective??? Very fishy for sure. The CSC was checked and they held no copy in their archive. Renato did this in person and there was nothing there. Then, shortly after his death, a 35mm print is supposedly found in the possession of the CSC? No.....someone kept this out of his reach for years and for a reason....then hoped to capitalise on it in some way after he passed away. NoShame closing down probably scuppered that, but I am sure at some point we will see that cut 35mm print restored for DVD...

As for RIVELAZIONI DI UNO PSICHIATRA SUL MONDO PERVERSO DEL SESSO, it is a shame what is happening with AWE's release. It has been given a date several times and failed to meet it. I still feel that this new December 2013 date will come and go and nothing will come of it. Why? Well....from what I can tell, nobody at AWE knows for sure themselves why it keeps getting delayed. But what I know is this: the film was too contentious for Image Entertainment back when they announced it with Redemption back in the late-1990s for release. Then I got word that the film was still stored at the lab where work done on it had not been paid for, hence why it sat there doing nothing and no release was forthcoming. And Redemption later went bankrupt. I also had word from someone who should know that the film will likely never get a release due to complicated reasons he could not go into. Personally, I think it is a combination of the contentious nature of the film, the lab work not being paid for, the bankruptcy complicating things (for instance, would the lab be allowed to take possession of it if Redemption had not paid them and then went bankrupt? Surely they could claim it for payment owed?) and the fact that Renato himself always contested Redemption's claim to own the rights. Renato said he still owned the worldwide rights to that and many other films of his and thay Redemption were "thieves".

So...take from that what you will. I would love to see his films get more releases and more recognition. AWE would likely do a great job too (their sleeve art for it looks fantastic!). But I fear we may never see it. At least not for many years to come yet.
And even if we do, what version will we see? I know that Redemption had a composite made up using the original softcore director's cut and the later XXX edit. Considering Renato never authorised such a bastard-edit of his film and it does not represent any vision of his, would it be something people would be willing to see? Much of the footage in the XXX edit replaced footage from the original edit. Putting them together would be nonsensical! Besides, Renato had very little fondness for the hardcore versions of his films...if anything, a 2-disc release containing the original softcore edit and the hardcore edit we are more familiar with would be a far better solution...

John Bernhard
09-27-2016, 10:17 AM
MANIA popped up on YouTube today, possibly mocked up to appear to be a TV broadcast ( claiming to be one ).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm7XZ87tsp4

fatboyslim142
09-27-2016, 05:22 PM
MANIA popped up on YouTube today, possibly mocked up to appear to be a TV broadcast ( claiming to be one ).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm7XZ87tsp4

It's not there anymore, the user removed it.

John Bernhard
09-27-2016, 05:25 PM
Dang, he had a second film up there to, LESBOS ( 1969 ) that looked amusing.

I grabbed the Polselli, will PM you.....

george n
09-27-2016, 07:13 PM
Dang, he had a second film up there to, LESBOS ( 1969 ) that looked amusing.

I grabbed the Polselli, will PM you.....

Oh my god...I honestly never believed this would surface...this is my holy grail

Koukol
09-27-2016, 08:01 PM
Oh my god...I honestly never believed this would surface...this is my holy grail

Since I saw the trailer it became one of mine too.

Marshall Crist
09-30-2016, 07:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcvkQl5LyCA

So glad this is officially unlost. I guess VOODOO HEARTBEAT is now my most-wanted, and I think that's actually not lost either.